Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by niblifar See Profile

• Location: Ohio
Good "Stable connection as of late, no caps, no throttling"
Bad "No newsgroups, 3000/768 is the highest in this area, ripoff modem fee incoming"
Overall "Only affordable broadband available in town"

I was with Verizon Online until they sold our area to Frontier. The handover from Verizon to Frontier was relatively smooth. I had 3000 kbps / 768 kbps with Verizon and I get similar bandwidth with Frontier. It seems there is no hope of upgrading to 7100 kbps / 768 kbps anytime soon.

The connection was rocky six months ago (June 2011) due to overselling in the area and the lack of backbone bandwidth, but their backbone upgrades have ameliorated this as the connection has been stable lately. I get around 350 kBps downstream and 93 kBps upstream. Ping times are similar to Verizon's as well.

I have heard they will charge a modem fee regardless of whether one owns the modem or rents. I own the modem so if I see any of their shenanigans in upcoming bills I shall keep this review apprised.

member for 10.6 years, 4391 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Bob61571 See Profile

• Location: Washington,Tazewell,IL
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "No Contract , No Extra Added Services"
Bad "Slow Speed, Bad Online Support and Website, Lack of Communication"
Overall "Shopping around"

August 17, 2012
Just received bill for 4 months of 3Mb DSL and Telephone service in the mail, for $360+.
No penalty added(that was so nice of them).
Frontier allowing for partial payment plan, if you call them.
Sounds like the customer billing/payment software system failed, big time!

++++++++++++++++++
As of July 1, 2010, Frontier is now my provider, after the Verizon acquisition.
$30 is for 3Mbps/768 speed, transferred from previous Verizon deal from late 2009/early 2010. Also, pay $54 for telephone, plus taxes/fees. Router/gateway is Verizon's Actiontec GT704-WG. More reliable than previous Verizon issued hardware(Westell 327W and 7500). Usual speedtest in range from 2.8 to 2.4 down. Have recorded 1.8 in late 2010/early 2011.

My alternatives are Comcast, MTCO(reselling DSL), HiBeam wireless, and the cellphone providers(Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, US Cellular). Some new Fiber providers are providing service nearby: ITV-3 in Pekin, and MTCO in Metamora). I don't think that Comcast has upgraded the Peoria area to DOCSIS 3 yet. AT&T has no interest in adding U-Verse in the Peoria area, since they still offer slow DSL. Local area has patchwork of telcos(Frontier, MTCO, FairPoint, CenturyLink, AT&T). Aggravating for Peoria area, as we are World Headquarters for a Fortune 50 multinational. Many of its employees provide support from home.

Good: Few connection problems for months(until lately). Recorded 14.55Mbps speedtest in October 2010(only lasted for a few days).

Bad experiences: Had 36 hour DSL/Phone outage(connected to rain/local construction) in mid June 2011. In last month(per speedtest.net), Frontier has been moving my initial connection from Carbondale, IL to DeKalb, IL to current Wichita, Kansas(where IP is now identified as Frontier, not Verizon). This required router power cycling. Verizon had previously used a small town near Dayton, Ohio.

Netflix is unwatchable on TV. Even YouTube on the PC has stutter.

Lack of communication from Frontier on outages(until after service restored), and future area plans. Website still has many Verizon references, 1 year after acquisition. Website support/documentation is definitely worse than Verizon

Comments:

Review by big_e See Profile

Good "Connection was reliable, few outages."
Bad "Slow, Company is very consumer unfriendly and seeks to price gouge."
Overall "Only use if its the only game in town"

I established service before verizon sold it off. 1.5 meg was all that was available in the market at the time. Frontier then took over and for a month DL speeds dropped down to 500 kbps due to congestion at the CO. I had to complain to the local manager and I got compensated for that months worth of service. Since then I had no more speed issues.

Frontier is a very consumer unfriendly company. Their provisioning policy sucks. Even though they say on the bill you are paying for 3 mbps they will refuse to reprovision your modem for that speed without resigning a 2 year contract, then they will claim your line won't support any kind of speed increase when it actually can.

Frontier has many bogus fees. I never got suckered into the $7/mo modem rental fee, but if I were to establish new service I would be forced to accept it even if I provided my own modem. Their modem cost them at most 50 bucks and over a 2 yr contract the modem would have paid for itself twice over. Then there is the $1.50/mo "because we can" HSI surcharge. Frontier does not offer DSL without phone service, so you will be stuck with a landline you may or may not want. Overall for sub 3 mbps the monthly cost after the promo pricing is in the $70-80 dollar per month range. This is a very poor bargain.

But wait it gets worse, if you signed a 2 year contract with them you it automatically renews for another 2 years. The early termination fee is $200 and not prorated. If you signed up for Unlimited "Digital" phone, you would face yet another $200 ETF for their already incredibly overpriced voip service. If you bundled dish add an additional 17.50/mo for each remaining month in the contract. Overall if you sign up for their ultimate dish/digital phone/DSL bundle are dissatisfied and cancel after 1 month you will pay $800 dollars in termination fees.

A frontier radio ad has a frontier subscriber saying "I've got freedom up the wazoo". A frontier subscriber is held at ransom and cannot leave frontier without paying at least $200 dollars.

If frontier continued to followed Verizons pricing policies, like no automatically renewing contracts, no mandatory modem rentals and bogus surcharges and focused on increasing the speed and reliability of their network there will me many far happier customers. Instead Frontier has opted to lock them down in a contract, gouge them as much as possible, give them the slowest internet they can stand, then charge as many ETFs they can when the customer finally leaves for any reason.

I was so glad to move to a property where I will never have to deal with Frontier again. Comcast is a saint compared to this company. The only reason anyone should subscribe to frontier is if it is the only source of internet available.

Comments:

Review by deejay2000 See Profile

• Location: West Concord,Dodge,MN
Good "It works."
Bad "Slow, it is down from 8:54pm to around 10-12pm everyday."
Overall "Really don't like it, but it works."

My speedtest is »speedtest.net/result/2086974712.png but when I actually do download something, I get 0.03 - 0.06 MB/S which, obviously, isn't very good. This speedtest was to a server around 50 miles away. I do use it, and it works ok. I don't care for how long it takes to load web pages, I don't however, like waiting for a 5 minute video to load for 20 minutes+. It also stops working randomly during the day sometimes. I wish it was better, but it's the best I get around here.

Comments:

Review by nl37tgt See Profile

• Location: Bangor,Northampton,PA
Good "reliable connection, tech support speaks english"
Bad "unreliable speed/latency, uneven levels of knowledge from the tech support"
Overall "avoid if possible"

I had 1.5MB downstream DSL from my local telephone company for years, very stable, very few problems, they warned us when it was gonna go down for maintenance and all at a good price. Then Frontier walked in and bought them up a few years back. Been a battle ever since then. The downstream speeds and latency started bouncing around and it hasn't been fixed in over a year. After countless calls to tech support and a good number of visits from their road techs, still the same problem. They talked me into a package deal in which we received local, long distance, an upgrade to 3MB downstream 384KB upstream and a Dell mini laptop with a 2 year agreement since it was "a good deal and it'll probably help with the problem you have." Big mistake, the problem still exists and in some cases worse.

A connection that should go no lower than 2100Kb/s downstream commonly is around 1400, with the lowest recorded speed of 92Kb/s. So now I'm on a first name basis with the two road techs, and I have their numbers on speed dial. Poor Terry and Rob (the road techs) have been going nuts trying to find the issue, they've gone over the house wiring, changed filters, swapped out modems and gone over the external lines. They even bumped up my upload speed from 384 to 512 free of charge.

Now the phone tech support folks at least aren't outsourced to India, but most of them just go through the motions of speedtests, ping tests, and the signal to noise and attenuation checks. Other than that, they don't know much. One tech pointed me to this site, which I'm grateful, but others have proclaimed it must be spyware or viruses on my computer. I shoot that down pretty quick when I tell them this computer is up to date and scanned regularly with McAfee with a Spybot and Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner chaser AND I've gotten the same speed result while in safe mode. Another guy thought my network card was the problem, till I disconnected the main computer and transfered the line to that Dell mini that sits here collecting dust and got a very similar speed result.

Thanks to this site, I've alerted Frontier to a server on their own network that always drops packets, too bad they never do anything about it, and I have a record for the past year. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with this company as far as high speed internet/phone is concerned. I've checked other providers, RCN is 3 miles out of range of me, local cable only has one way internet down here, meaning I'd have to dial up to upload and FiOS, forget about it, nowhere near here. I check with these other companies every couple months to see if they moved into the area, because I would switch in a heartbeat. The early cancellation fee would be well worth it if I would have a more reliable speed and I got what I paid for.

I'm reaching my limit with Frontier, I'll give it another month, then I'm gonna start making phone calls to the Better Business Bureau, FCC, state representatives and anyone else I can and see what happens.

My test results if you're curious:

»/testhistory/1625695/64a99

*********************************************************************************

UPDATE:

Nearly 2am on a Monday morning and my speeds dropped off the map. 700kbps download, 250kbps upload on a 3072/384 line. I'm so sick of calling these people just to have them toss another cheap modem at me. They keep saying that they're working to increase bandwidth in the area. I've only been hearing that same line for 4 years. Again/still, they're the only broadband provider around. The local cable only offers one-way, meaning I'd need to dial up to upload at snails pace.

UPDATE 2:

new record low

Comments:

Review by ABuce See Profile

• Location: Shepherdstown,Jefferson,WV
Good "Tecs on phone & in the field top rate"
Bad "Connection speed and options"
Overall "If I could change I would."

They are my only real choice for the price. Cable is avialable but service in our rural area for cable is not reliable. Frontier plan options and services alow rate. People are good but overall I wish I could change.

Comments:

Review by wvsparkey See Profile

• Location: Proctorville,Lawrence,OH
Bad "Just don't do it!"

I thought Verizon was bad... Frontier sets a new low in dependability. Here is what my visual route trace program says about it....
In general, hops in this route respond slowly. (Over 1154ms on average) All hops after hop 3 in 'Frontier communications of America' respond particularly slowly'....

This is not unusual at certain times of the day for the boys on the Frontier. Verizon at least worked most of the time (if it wasn't raining).

member for 6.3 years, 316 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID

Service Call

I would make a service call.

Review by scottlb See Profile

• Location: Snohomish,Snohomish,WA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Bad "Speed"
Overall "They need to step up their service!"

This is supposed to be a 7.1M line. I'm getting .9M on a good day. Upload is 380K on an advertised 680K. Basically not worth the money. No cable here, so I'm stuck unless I go back to satellite. I used to get around 4M, now I'm dead in the water here. Back to nagging & hope it works.

• Location: Sandpoint,Bonner,ID
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "One of the techs I spoked to was friendly, however he wasn't able to fix my connection (Not his fault but frontiers)."
Bad "Paying for 3m getting 1 at best. Call support every other day still no improvement after 3 months."
Overall "This service is the worst I have ever used and I have seen some pretty bad service providers. DONT USE."

I've had Frontiers service for about 3 months now and since day one I've had consistent dropouts and hindering slow speeds. I'm paying for 3m which is bad enough on its own but only getting about 1m on a good day. Oh and by the way a good day usually consists of 3 to 4 drop outs and dial up speeds. I feel like I'm on T1! This is 2012! I shouldn't have to be this limited. I'm so dissatisfied with the service that I am now buying a $300 craddlepoint 4g modem and a new router for $80 a month 4g internet service. The fact that I am willing to spend so much for an alternative, even though it has a 10gig a mo. cap says something in its own. It's been 3 months since I started using this service and after calling and calling to get my first bill for the month they had finally sent me one at the end of the 3rd. The bill ended up being $262.00! How much was setup, $90.00!? I don't need to pay someone $90.00 to plug RJ-11 into a modem! I wish that this service was good for every ones sake but unfortunately it is even worse than Northland Cable... Which is pretty bad too.

(review was emailed from domain playxpert.com)

Comments:

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID
·HughesNet Satell..

Sorry to hear

Im in Post Falls, Idaho... I love Frontier, never once had a problem with the service, We have either Frontier or Time Warner Cable, and I would never again go with Time Warner Cable.... Sorry your having problems with your service. I would personally call Drew Peterson with Frontier Communications out of Hayden 208-659-8190 or email him at grant.a.peterson@ftr.com He is a Install and Repair Tech

Review by robbiej38 See Profile

• Location: Monroe,Orange,NY
Bad "Pony Express is faster"
Overall "If the is another option available, take it."

The service in Monroe, NY was bearable before the first part of December 2011. Since then its gone from bad to worse. Download used to be 1.5MB or better, now it varies from 500KB to around 1.3MB with most tests I have done in the lower range. Dealing with the company is OK, they are cordial & sympathetic.