Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by don544 See Profile

• Location: Ortonville,Oakland,MI
Good "NONE"
Bad "You name it, service line BS"
Overall "It might be good if they ever got there act together"

Started after local Verizon land line was sold to Frontier, had canceled Verizon land line when they did not make it out to repair downed drop to house after three days did not use anyway so why continue?

Frontier starts sending adverts saying can get DSL now, call, say can , say can not , say will check and call back,never call us back, we call they say can but have to pay install can not self install, say you are offering self install package in advert, say but we have to come fix wire we never fixed three years ago DUH.

All in all it is the same run around we got from Verizon and comcast, advertise great but service lousy, maybe if they put about 25% of the advertising budget into the service department they would have a decent product.

I do care that they have all U.S. staff but it does little good if you can not do anything with it.

01/11/2012

Have now spent about a week on and off with their service people and yes they can get line repaired they say but was told by tomorrow and then was told no not until next Thursday the 19th so we shall see.

Generally seem like a confused bunch of folks, although pleasant enough to talk to nothing seems clear cut with them, no yes or no answers just maybe or we will see.

Comments:

Review by soloridr See Profile

• Location: Cullowhee,Jackson,NC
Good "Nothing good to speak of."
Bad "Everything after installation. Incl: service and customer service"
Overall "I have no other option, worst company I've ever dealt with."

I pay for 3 Mb/s because that is the fastest speed they can provide in my area. There were times (oh the sweet memories that I actually got over 1 Mb/s....even every now and again over 2 Mb/s. These days, I am lucky that it even lets me on the internet. If it does, I get numbers like (just did a speedtest.net) 206 ms ping, 0.39 Mb/s download spped, and a 0.07 Mb/s upload speed. This is the normal for me....WHEN IT LETS ME DO THE TEST! The first time I called customer service, they walked me through speedtest.net to see together what my results were. Before I ran the test she told me what was acceptable and what to expect. When the results were extraordinarily low, she said "well they are an independent tester, we don't go by their numbers". Seriously? You just suggested we go by it? Then when the numbers weren't right, discard it? I've talked to them several times: full of apologies and promises....nothing has changed. In fact, it's getting worse. I have no other options, in fact I haven't paid for months. This company is so bad they don't even know how to turn my service (if you want to call it that) off!

Comments:

Review by e334 See Profile

• Location: Elk Grove,Sacramento,CA
Good "works"
Bad "Practices censorship, always disconnect, slow download/upload speed"
Overall "Horrible company, I hope they file bankruptcy"

Absolutely horrid internet DSL provider. They even practice censorship on sites that I regularly visit, such as www.ubuntu.com. The download/upload speeds are absolutely horrible also, will NOT recommend anyone to buy their ANY of their services. Stuck on their contract, will leave the minute the contract expires..

Comments:

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

Surewest?

Can you look into Surewest once your contract is up?
The weekend is here, grab a can of beer!
big_e

join:2011-03-05

Ubuntu and frontier work just fine.

I don't like frontier either, but I have never encountered any website blocking or censorship from them. I've visited many ubuntu run websites and downloaded many distros images via frontier with no problems at all.

Review by WeatherPilot See Profile

• Location: Cato,Cayuga,NY
Good "Better than nothing"
Bad "Slow, unreliable, and congested network"
Overall "Don't buy unless it's your only option"

A slow connection running over unreliable 50 plus year old copper through a congested DSLAM and routing network serviced by either greedy individuals or inept dolts. Wishing that this company goes down in flames or falls under the weight of it's own arrogant pompous ego does not begin to describe how much hate I have for this company. They are the only service in town so your forced to pay what the greedy ******** want to get internet. They need to fix their **** or they will only bring a federal investigation from the FCC, DOJ, FTC and AG upon themselves.

Comments:

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

Here, Here!

Let me just say: Well put! Well put indeed!
The weekend is here, grab a can of beer!

Review by jbbrown See Profile

• Location: Lafayette,Tippecanoe,IN
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Not much"
Bad "Customer service, billing, tech support"
Overall "Avoid Frontier, stay away!"

I signed up with Verizon DSL in 2005. I had very few problems with them, the service was reliable, when I was told the speed/pricing of DSL, that is what showed up on the bill. Then Frontier took over in July 2010 and it has been nothing but problems ever since. There have been a few times that the Internet stops working for whatever reason, but it is usually up after a few hours.

My biggest problem is I cannot trust them and they have deceptive practices. I lost count of the times I called in, got their DSL speed/pricing, accepted that, and then was billed something totally different. I would call back time after time and EVERY single time I would be told a different speed/pricing. My bill was completely off for months. I was told by 2 separate reps what my speed/pricing would be and each time I received the bill, it was way off. I was so frustrated with all the back and forth that I had my wife call to talk to them. They just decided that I was quoted incorrectly and upped my DSL price by $10/month. I also had an instance where I was told they can get me better pricing, I accepted that, but they failed to tell me that my DSL speed was decreasing.

I am looking forward to my contract being up...and I am glad I have other providers to choose from. The only question is do I go with AT&T DSL or Comcast?

If you are considering Frontier, please don't - run away! Save yourself the trouble and wasted hours on the phone. After being told one thing and billed another, it is apparent they do not care about the customer.

12/31/2011 Update

My internet stopped working on 12/22. I have called them 4 times since then to get it fixed. I was told it was a problem on their end and they would get a tech out to look at it. Supposedly, a tech came out on 12/27 and "fixed" the problem. I called them on 12/29 and they said they would send someone out on 12/30. Called on 12/30 and now they tell me no one can make it until 1/5. Unbelievable! So, I have not had any internet for over a week now. I have work that needs to be done, but cannot do it without internet. I just want to leave this company...too bad I am under contract for another 6 months.

Comments:

Review by ReeDy54 See Profile

• Location: Barboursville,Cabell,WV
Good "My internet lagged out during this review."
Bad "constant disconnects,slow speeds and ping times, Customer Service"
Overall "F+ For frontier plus"

Here is the most recent speed test for Huntington,WV

»www.speedtest.net/result/1670560987.png

F+ Frontier Plus

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck Comcast is the better ISP, because with them it might be slow at night. Verizon was head and shoulders better than Frontier technically, I don't know why internet in WV is so far behind maybe it's the age of the phone lines. I ordered up to 6.0 mbp/s download with 768kbp/s. The modem comes capped at 3megs and recently has been lowered to 2.5mbp/s capped and I get actual speeds of >2.0mbp/s at $50 a month. I think the install process took a few days longer than expected and it was supposed to be professional installation, but I installed it myself which is not a big deal. I could go on all day why my experience with Frontier has been terrible. Probably the main reason is the first week I had the service it was great I was stoked at how fast it was for my game then it went BELLY UP FASTER THAN VERIZON AROUND HERE.

Comments:

Review by Captain See Profile

• Location: Dexter City,Noble,OH
Good "It works good at off peak hours"
Bad "Congestion at peak hours"
Overall "I don't have a choice"

If there was any thing else I could get I would try it. We thought we had something when we got to upgrade to 3mb 10 years ago. Kind of feel left out today.

Comments:

libprent

@rr.com

Absolutely the worst

The customer service at Frontier is as bad as their billing practices. My credit card has been charged for the last 9 mos even though I do not and have never had Frontier service. Getting someone to correct their billing records is like talking to my foot. Transferred all over the place and no one knows what is going on. Every month I call about the charges and nothing happens....I end up having to dispute them at the credit card end. Do not get Frontier unless you have no other options....they are terrible to deal with at every level

Review by pacree See Profile

• Location: Ripley,Jackson,WV

I've had problems with my line since they first run it. I've reported over and over the disconnects, static, and slowness. Frontier says they send someone out but I don't see them at my home, a few times I've saw them at the box along the road. I pay for 3meg down / 768 up but have never saw it. I've been told it isn't available, although when I connect through neighbors unsecured networks I see it. If I had another option I would dump my Frontier phone and internet.

Comments:

Review by djtim

• Location: Chenango Forks,Broome,NY

Frontier sucks. They have me paying for Hi Speed Max promising a
minimum of 1.5 and all I get is 0.82 Mbps up and 0.17 down. I told them
I wanted the regular DSL and they told me I would even be slower even
though they don't provide the "promised" minimum. Their attitude was
"take it or leave it". I can't wait until I get Verizon 4G LTE here.
Then I can tell them to take a hike.

(review was emailed from domain frontiernet.net)

Comments:
jbbrown

join:2011-11-23

Quality customer service! ;)

That is what bothers me most about this company...a disregard for the customer. They basically try and squeeze as much out of people as they can. This is not a successful business model. If my company did stuff like this to our customers, we'd be out of business.

That is a bummer about your speed. Maybe try calling again and see if you get a different answer or ask to speak to a supervisor. Or you could contact your regional manager (info on their website). Good luck!
chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan

Re: Quality customer service! ;)

the problem is that they can have that take it or leave it attitude because there is no other providers in most of their market. i don't have their dsl as they don't offer it where i live, but i do have basic telephone service and more than once i have had to call them due to mysterious charges on my bill

Review by Hypter See Profile

• Location: Masontown,Preston,WV
Good "Alsolutely nothing!"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Avoid Frontier's DSL at all costs."

I live in northern WV, 26542 area. We've had Frontier's DSL service since 2004. They advertise 3Mbit, which is the only option in this area but they capped it at 1.5Mbit due to the node being at capacity and still charge us full price. The CSR's and Field Techs are clueless as to what the problem is, every time we contact them, they just send us a new modem which obviously isn't the issue -- I've had the same service ticket opened for over two years and collected six modems.

The service is absolutely terrible and during prime time hours to midnight its nearly unusable, slower than dialup most of the time. The routing is terrible and the Northern WV node is at max capacity but they cut bandwidth to ALL subscribers to add new ones which makes the issue worse.

Bottom line, Frontier is robbing their customers and refusing to recognize the issue at hand. I advise anyone with Frontier to cancel their subscriptions and get another provider if possible, and anyone looking for DSL service, do NOT get Frontier.

This is the results of a speedtest to a datacenter less than 100 miles from my home: »www.speedtest.net/result/1641876950.png

Comments:
jbbrown

join:2011-11-23

Wow

Your DSL speed is terrible! I agree, they are robbing their customers by getting as much money from them as they can! I take it that you are stuck in a contract with them?

When my contract is up, I am cancelling as well. As Hypter mentioned above, stay away from this company, do NOT get Frontier!