Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by deejay2000 See Profile

• Location: West Concord,Dodge,MN
Good "It works."
Bad "Slow, it is down from 8:54pm to around 10-12pm everyday."
Overall "Really don't like it, but it works."

My speedtest is »speedtest.net/result/2086974712.png but when I actually do download something, I get 0.03 - 0.06 MB/S which, obviously, isn't very good. This speedtest was to a server around 50 miles away. I do use it, and it works ok. I don't care for how long it takes to load web pages, I don't however, like waiting for a 5 minute video to load for 20 minutes+. It also stops working randomly during the day sometimes. I wish it was better, but it's the best I get around here.

member for 2 years, 0 visits, last login: 2 years ago

Comments:

Review by nl37tgt See Profile

• Location: Bangor,Northampton,PA
Good "reliable connection, tech support speaks english"
Bad "unreliable speed/latency, uneven levels of knowledge from the tech support"
Overall "avoid if possible"

I had 1.5MB downstream DSL from my local telephone company for years, very stable, very few problems, they warned us when it was gonna go down for maintenance and all at a good price. Then Frontier walked in and bought them up a few years back. Been a battle ever since then. The downstream speeds and latency started bouncing around and it hasn't been fixed in over a year. After countless calls to tech support and a good number of visits from their road techs, still the same problem. They talked me into a package deal in which we received local, long distance, an upgrade to 3MB downstream 384KB upstream and a Dell mini laptop with a 2 year agreement since it was "a good deal and it'll probably help with the problem you have." Big mistake, the problem still exists and in some cases worse.

A connection that should go no lower than 2100Kb/s downstream commonly is around 1400, with the lowest recorded speed of 92Kb/s. So now I'm on a first name basis with the two road techs, and I have their numbers on speed dial. Poor Terry and Rob (the road techs) have been going nuts trying to find the issue, they've gone over the house wiring, changed filters, swapped out modems and gone over the external lines. They even bumped up my upload speed from 384 to 512 free of charge.

Now the phone tech support folks at least aren't outsourced to India, but most of them just go through the motions of speedtests, ping tests, and the signal to noise and attenuation checks. Other than that, they don't know much. One tech pointed me to this site, which I'm grateful, but others have proclaimed it must be spyware or viruses on my computer. I shoot that down pretty quick when I tell them this computer is up to date and scanned regularly with McAfee with a Spybot and Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner chaser AND I've gotten the same speed result while in safe mode. Another guy thought my network card was the problem, till I disconnected the main computer and transfered the line to that Dell mini that sits here collecting dust and got a very similar speed result.

Thanks to this site, I've alerted Frontier to a server on their own network that always drops packets, too bad they never do anything about it, and I have a record for the past year. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with this company as far as high speed internet/phone is concerned. I've checked other providers, RCN is 3 miles out of range of me, local cable only has one way internet down here, meaning I'd have to dial up to upload and FiOS, forget about it, nowhere near here. I check with these other companies every couple months to see if they moved into the area, because I would switch in a heartbeat. The early cancellation fee would be well worth it if I would have a more reliable speed and I got what I paid for.

I'm reaching my limit with Frontier, I'll give it another month, then I'm gonna start making phone calls to the Better Business Bureau, FCC, state representatives and anyone else I can and see what happens.

My test results if you're curious:

»/testhistory/1625695/64a99

*********************************************************************************

UPDATE:

Nearly 2am on a Monday morning and my speeds dropped off the map. 700kbps download, 250kbps upload on a 3072/384 line. I'm so sick of calling these people just to have them toss another cheap modem at me. They keep saying that they're working to increase bandwidth in the area. I've only been hearing that same line for 4 years. Again/still, they're the only broadband provider around. The local cable only offers one-way, meaning I'd need to dial up to upload at snails pace.

UPDATE 2:

new record low

Comments:

Review by ABuce See Profile

• Location: Shepherdstown,Jefferson,WV
Good "Tecs on phone & in the field top rate"
Bad "Connection speed and options"
Overall "If I could change I would."

They are my only real choice for the price. Cable is avialable but service in our rural area for cable is not reliable. Frontier plan options and services alow rate. People are good but overall I wish I could change.

Comments:

Review by wvsparkey See Profile

• Location: Proctorville,Lawrence,OH
Bad "Just don't do it!"

I thought Verizon was bad... Frontier sets a new low in dependability. Here is what my visual route trace program says about it....
In general, hops in this route respond slowly. (Over 1154ms on average) All hops after hop 3 in 'Frontier communications of America' respond particularly slowly'....

This is not unusual at certain times of the day for the boys on the Frontier. Verizon at least worked most of the time (if it wasn't raining).

Comments:

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID

Service Call

I would make a service call.

Review by scottlb See Profile

• Location: Snohomish,Snohomish,WA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Bad "Speed"
Overall "They need to step up their service!"

This is supposed to be a 7.1M line. I'm getting .9M on a good day. Upload is 380K on an advertised 680K. Basically not worth the money. No cable here, so I'm stuck unless I go back to satellite. I used to get around 4M, now I'm dead in the water here. Back to nagging & hope it works.

• Location: Sandpoint,Bonner,ID
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "One of the techs I spoked to was friendly, however he wasn't able to fix my connection (Not his fault but frontiers)."
Bad "Paying for 3m getting 1 at best. Call support every other day still no improvement after 3 months."
Overall "This service is the worst I have ever used and I have seen some pretty bad service providers. DONT USE."

I've had Frontiers service for about 3 months now and since day one I've had consistent dropouts and hindering slow speeds. I'm paying for 3m which is bad enough on its own but only getting about 1m on a good day. Oh and by the way a good day usually consists of 3 to 4 drop outs and dial up speeds. I feel like I'm on T1! This is 2012! I shouldn't have to be this limited. I'm so dissatisfied with the service that I am now buying a $300 craddlepoint 4g modem and a new router for $80 a month 4g internet service. The fact that I am willing to spend so much for an alternative, even though it has a 10gig a mo. cap says something in its own. It's been 3 months since I started using this service and after calling and calling to get my first bill for the month they had finally sent me one at the end of the 3rd. The bill ended up being $262.00! How much was setup, $90.00!? I don't need to pay someone $90.00 to plug RJ-11 into a modem! I wish that this service was good for every ones sake but unfortunately it is even worse than Northland Cable... Which is pretty bad too.

(review was emailed from domain playxpert.com)

Comments:

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID
·HughesNet Satell..

Sorry to hear

Im in Post Falls, Idaho... I love Frontier, never once had a problem with the service, We have either Frontier or Time Warner Cable, and I would never again go with Time Warner Cable.... Sorry your having problems with your service. I would personally call Drew Peterson with Frontier Communications out of Hayden 208-659-8190 or email him at grant.a.peterson@ftr.com He is a Install and Repair Tech

Review by robbiej38 See Profile

• Location: Monroe,Orange,NY
Bad "Pony Express is faster"
Overall "If the is another option available, take it."

The service in Monroe, NY was bearable before the first part of December 2011. Since then its gone from bad to worse. Download used to be 1.5MB or better, now it varies from 500KB to around 1.3MB with most tests I have done in the lower range. Dealing with the company is OK, they are cordial & sympathetic.

Comments:

Review by dwill6907 See Profile

• Location: Franklin,Macon,NC
Good "There isn't any"
Bad "disconnects every 2 minutes"
Overall "Frontier internet is horrible"

Since Frontier has taken over for Verizon in my town there has been nothing but headaches. Internet kicks out every 2 or three minutes and stays off for about 5 minutes. When you call them (if they answer) they claim that it's Verizon's fault because of bad lines. Never had a problem before. Was told that they were going to do upgrades but haven't seen it yet. Even as I try and type this the internet has gone out 4 times. I still stay connected to my router so I know that it's not me which they have tried to tell me before. If you have other choices (which I don't) DO NOT pick Frontier. All they will do is make you want to pull out your hair.

If anybody wants to know what my speeds are I have included the link

»www.speedtest.net/result/1722389108.png

Comments:
ReeDy54

join:2003-03-24
Barboursville, WV

F+ for Frontier Plus

»www.speedtest.net/result/1670560987.png

Review by don544 See Profile

• Location: Ortonville,Oakland,MI
Good "NONE"
Bad "You name it, service line BS"
Overall "It might be good if they ever got there act together"

Started after local Verizon land line was sold to Frontier, had canceled Verizon land line when they did not make it out to repair downed drop to house after three days did not use anyway so why continue?

Frontier starts sending adverts saying can get DSL now, call, say can , say can not , say will check and call back,never call us back, we call they say can but have to pay install can not self install, say you are offering self install package in advert, say but we have to come fix wire we never fixed three years ago DUH.

All in all it is the same run around we got from Verizon and comcast, advertise great but service lousy, maybe if they put about 25% of the advertising budget into the service department they would have a decent product.

I do care that they have all U.S. staff but it does little good if you can not do anything with it.

01/11/2012

Have now spent about a week on and off with their service people and yes they can get line repaired they say but was told by tomorrow and then was told no not until next Thursday the 19th so we shall see.

Generally seem like a confused bunch of folks, although pleasant enough to talk to nothing seems clear cut with them, no yes or no answers just maybe or we will see.

Comments:

Review by soloridr See Profile

• Location: Cullowhee,Jackson,NC
Good "Nothing good to speak of."
Bad "Everything after installation. Incl: service and customer service"
Overall "I have no other option, worst company I've ever dealt with."

I pay for 3 Mb/s because that is the fastest speed they can provide in my area. There were times (oh the sweet memories that I actually got over 1 Mb/s....even every now and again over 2 Mb/s. These days, I am lucky that it even lets me on the internet. If it does, I get numbers like (just did a speedtest.net) 206 ms ping, 0.39 Mb/s download spped, and a 0.07 Mb/s upload speed. This is the normal for me....WHEN IT LETS ME DO THE TEST! The first time I called customer service, they walked me through speedtest.net to see together what my results were. Before I ran the test she told me what was acceptable and what to expect. When the results were extraordinarily low, she said "well they are an independent tester, we don't go by their numbers". Seriously? You just suggested we go by it? Then when the numbers weren't right, discard it? I've talked to them several times: full of apologies and promises....nothing has changed. In fact, it's getting worse. I have no other options, in fact I haven't paid for months. This company is so bad they don't even know how to turn my service (if you want to call it that) off!