Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by jbbrown See Profile

• Location: Lafayette,Tippecanoe,IN
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Not much"
Bad "Customer service, billing, tech support"
Overall "Avoid Frontier, stay away!"

I signed up with Verizon DSL in 2005. I had very few problems with them, the service was reliable, when I was told the speed/pricing of DSL, that is what showed up on the bill. Then Frontier took over in July 2010 and it has been nothing but problems ever since. There have been a few times that the Internet stops working for whatever reason, but it is usually up after a few hours.

My biggest problem is I cannot trust them and they have deceptive practices. I lost count of the times I called in, got their DSL speed/pricing, accepted that, and then was billed something totally different. I would call back time after time and EVERY single time I would be told a different speed/pricing. My bill was completely off for months. I was told by 2 separate reps what my speed/pricing would be and each time I received the bill, it was way off. I was so frustrated with all the back and forth that I had my wife call to talk to them. They just decided that I was quoted incorrectly and upped my DSL price by $10/month. I also had an instance where I was told they can get me better pricing, I accepted that, but they failed to tell me that my DSL speed was decreasing.

I am looking forward to my contract being up...and I am glad I have other providers to choose from. The only question is do I go with AT&T DSL or Comcast?

If you are considering Frontier, please don't - run away! Save yourself the trouble and wasted hours on the phone. After being told one thing and billed another, it is apparent they do not care about the customer.

12/31/2011 Update

My internet stopped working on 12/22. I have called them 4 times since then to get it fixed. I was told it was a problem on their end and they would get a tech out to look at it. Supposedly, a tech came out on 12/27 and "fixed" the problem. I called them on 12/29 and they said they would send someone out on 12/30. Called on 12/30 and now they tell me no one can make it until 1/5. Unbelievable! So, I have not had any internet for over a week now. I have work that needs to be done, but cannot do it without internet. I just want to leave this company...too bad I am under contract for another 6 months.

Comments:

Review by ReeDy54 See Profile

• Location: Barboursville,Cabell,WV
Good "My internet lagged out during this review."
Bad "constant disconnects,slow speeds and ping times, Customer Service"
Overall "F+ For frontier plus"

Here is the most recent speed test for Huntington,WV

»www.speedtest.net/result/1670560987.png

F+ Frontier Plus

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck Comcast is the better ISP, because with them it might be slow at night. Verizon was head and shoulders better than Frontier technically, I don't know why internet in WV is so far behind maybe it's the age of the phone lines. I ordered up to 6.0 mbp/s download with 768kbp/s. The modem comes capped at 3megs and recently has been lowered to 2.5mbp/s capped and I get actual speeds of >2.0mbp/s at $50 a month. I think the install process took a few days longer than expected and it was supposed to be professional installation, but I installed it myself which is not a big deal. I could go on all day why my experience with Frontier has been terrible. Probably the main reason is the first week I had the service it was great I was stoked at how fast it was for my game then it went BELLY UP FASTER THAN VERIZON AROUND HERE.

Comments:

Review by Captain See Profile

• Location: Dexter City,Noble,OH
Good "It works good at off peak hours"
Bad "Congestion at peak hours"
Overall "I don't have a choice"

If there was any thing else I could get I would try it. We thought we had something when we got to upgrade to 3mb 10 years ago. Kind of feel left out today.

Comments:

libprent

@rr.com

Absolutely the worst

The customer service at Frontier is as bad as their billing practices. My credit card has been charged for the last 9 mos even though I do not and have never had Frontier service. Getting someone to correct their billing records is like talking to my foot. Transferred all over the place and no one knows what is going on. Every month I call about the charges and nothing happens....I end up having to dispute them at the credit card end. Do not get Frontier unless you have no other options....they are terrible to deal with at every level

Review by pacree See Profile

• Location: Ripley,Jackson,WV

I've had problems with my line since they first run it. I've reported over and over the disconnects, static, and slowness. Frontier says they send someone out but I don't see them at my home, a few times I've saw them at the box along the road. I pay for 3meg down / 768 up but have never saw it. I've been told it isn't available, although when I connect through neighbors unsecured networks I see it. If I had another option I would dump my Frontier phone and internet.

Comments:

Review by djtim

• Location: Chenango Forks,Broome,NY

Frontier sucks. They have me paying for Hi Speed Max promising a
minimum of 1.5 and all I get is 0.82 Mbps up and 0.17 down. I told them
I wanted the regular DSL and they told me I would even be slower even
though they don't provide the "promised" minimum. Their attitude was
"take it or leave it". I can't wait until I get Verizon 4G LTE here.
Then I can tell them to take a hike.

(review was emailed from domain frontiernet.net)

Comments:
jbbrown

join:2011-11-23

Quality customer service! ;)

That is what bothers me most about this company...a disregard for the customer. They basically try and squeeze as much out of people as they can. This is not a successful business model. If my company did stuff like this to our customers, we'd be out of business.

That is a bummer about your speed. Maybe try calling again and see if you get a different answer or ask to speak to a supervisor. Or you could contact your regional manager (info on their website). Good luck!
chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan

Re: Quality customer service! ;)

the problem is that they can have that take it or leave it attitude because there is no other providers in most of their market. i don't have their dsl as they don't offer it where i live, but i do have basic telephone service and more than once i have had to call them due to mysterious charges on my bill

Review by Hypter See Profile

• Location: Masontown,Preston,WV
Good "Alsolutely nothing!"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Avoid Frontier's DSL at all costs."

I live in northern WV, 26542 area. We've had Frontier's DSL service since 2004. They advertise 3Mbit, which is the only option in this area but they capped it at 1.5Mbit due to the node being at capacity and still charge us full price. The CSR's and Field Techs are clueless as to what the problem is, every time we contact them, they just send us a new modem which obviously isn't the issue -- I've had the same service ticket opened for over two years and collected six modems.

The service is absolutely terrible and during prime time hours to midnight its nearly unusable, slower than dialup most of the time. The routing is terrible and the Northern WV node is at max capacity but they cut bandwidth to ALL subscribers to add new ones which makes the issue worse.

Bottom line, Frontier is robbing their customers and refusing to recognize the issue at hand. I advise anyone with Frontier to cancel their subscriptions and get another provider if possible, and anyone looking for DSL service, do NOT get Frontier.

This is the results of a speedtest to a datacenter less than 100 miles from my home: »www.speedtest.net/result/1641876950.png

Comments:
jbbrown

Wow

Your DSL speed is terrible! I agree, they are robbing their customers by getting as much money from them as they can! I take it that you are stuck in a contract with them?

When my contract is up, I am cancelling as well. As Hypter mentioned above, stay away from this company, do NOT get Frontier!

Review by john262 See Profile

• Location: Elko,Elko,NV
Good "Quick installation"
Overall "Overpriced for the relativley slow speed I get"

So far I am happy with Frontiernet. I moved to the Elko Nevada area from the Sacramento area, and since Frontier is about the only broadband option available in Elko, I called them from Sacramento before I moved hoping that it might be set up when I moved in. Well, I moved in over the weekend, and today, Monday, my self install kit was dropped off and within a few minutes I was up and running.

I knew from previous experience not to install their software from the CD that was part of the installation kit, so instead I connected the Speedstream 5200 modem to my Netgear router, then connected the router to my PC. It only took a minute for the DSL light on the modem to come on, and then my router was connected.

It's dynamic IP, not PPPoE like I had with SBC DSL in the Sacramento area. So it's a true always on connection. Yea! And the throughput speeds I am getting are better than advertised, 1.9 Mbps up and 276 kbps down. I was only getting 1.2/212 from SBC. In fairness to SBC, maybe I am closer to Frontier's switching station here but at any rate I am happy with the speeds. Also, I am not noticing any DNS problems so far like I read that some other Frontier customers are having, but then it's only been on for a few hours so it's too early to tell if this will be consistant or not.

Unfortunately, Frontier doesn't have a promotion like SBC has so I am paying $49.95 monthly rather than $29.95. I guess that means a few less six packs per month, but at least I don't have to worry about a contract with an early termination fee. Luckily, when I cancelled SBC my year long contract had just run out.

Frontier also includes an unlimited dialup account with their DSL service, but their NNTP newsgroup server is not the best. It lacks binary groups and even the text groups don't have much retention, but I can live with that since I don't use usenet very much.

So far I am happy, but I know full well that sometimes problems can crop up after a few weeks so I will reserve final judgement for now, but so far so good. I will post an update after a while to let you know how it's going.

-- Here is an update after about a year of service. My only complaint is cost. At $49.95 per month I am paying a lot more than customers in other areas with other providers are paying. I can only hope that this situation will change when our local cable company, Charter, begins to offer broadband Internet, which should happen soon.

But technically, the service remains excellent. Speeds are great, and I have never seen the problems with DNS servers that some Frontiernet customers in other areas have reported.

7/29/10 I decided to cancel Frontier and try another ISP here in Elko, Wireless Beehive. However, I was unsatisfied with it because of uneven service, and it was unsuitable to VOIP, so I canceled them and I am back with Frontier. The cost has gone up to $57 monthly including a modem rental fee for stand alone DSL, and they forced me into a one year contract. They have bumped the speeds up. I now get 3 Mbps down and 380 Kbps up, which is pretty slow for that price. In Salt Lake City I could get three times that speed for $20 per month less. The modem is a combination modem and router, the Siemens SE567. It seems to be quite stable and I have seldom had to reboot it, but it's signal is weaker than what I got with my previous wireless router. Now upstairs in my bedroom Windows says that the signal is "good," whereas with the other router it was "excellent."

Edit - 12/8/11 They have bumped my speed up to about 6 Mbps down.

Comments:

dsl fees

@comcast.net

dsl modem fees

are you paying fees for the dsl modem yet?

Review by pufrontier See Profile

• Location: Cory,Clay,IN
Good "Finally found an honest CSR (from New York!)"
Bad "Lied multiple times, technicians pulled no-shows, phone service still problematic"
Overall "If you have other options, take them!"

We have had phone with Frontier after they took over Verizon a year or more ago. Since then, they have come to "repair" the line (didn't work), replace the work (worked, but no one on other end can really hear or understand the speaker and it cuts out constantly), and we just kinda gave up and kept it as is. We called to cancel service (why pay 60 bucks for crap?) with the thought that we would do better with cell phones and a cheaper internet than Hughes net ($5 every time you go over 200mb - a day), and they said "Well, whattdya know, we can get you high speed DSL, just got it over there!" We were stoked and made an install appointment. The day came and went. He never showed. Called them after 530 pm that night and were told the order was never placed and was in "engineering" which meant we probably couldn't get DSL. She put me on hold for a good 30 minutes or more and finally told me that they could get me DSL, but since the order was never processed they had to make new order. So, scheduled for today. We called in morning to make sure the same problems as last time. They verified that a technician was scheduled and would be there; we requested they call us if something happens (and they were to call when the tech was on way) and they said ok. 10 till 5, no call and no tech. Called them, upset, and asked what the deal was and was told that they updated the account on her end (in New York) 3 HOURS BEFORE THAT. I asked why they didn't call, why didn't they just tell us in the first place? We pretty much got the hint the first time but went by their word anyway. She only said "Im sorry" over and over until I hung up. I am posting this not because it's new to anyone, obviously, but because I complained to the BBB and want to urge everyone to do this as well. Nothing will be done if we all just take it.

Comments:

Review by Unibomber See Profile

• Location: Spring Creek,Elko,NV
Good "Tech service ! They really do want it to work."
Bad "Connection reliability is well, I hope i make it through this review..."
Overall "They really need to say NO to applicants on edge of DSL range."

I went to the Frontier home office in my area and spoke face to face with a technician in order to get a straight answer regarding DSL. I was very forward indicating that I DO NOT want partial service or inconsistent DSL, I would rather just keep my slower ISP if that was going to be the case. The tech stated I should be able to get solid 3mb given my distance from the closest hub. When I specifically asked about my distance from the hub he was a little more concerned but was confident 3mbs would be attainable.

My installer was awesome 'Tyler', kind, professional and once the line was installed he was, well worried. My speeds were not great, but closer to 1.5mbs and sometimes 3mbs if all the stars were aligned. But I was happy with 1.5-3mbs considering my old ISP was 1Mbs if everyone else in my valley was out to dinner. My installer then began to warning me of frequent 'drops' at my distance from the hub. At this point I had already disconnected from my old ISP.

Its been three weeks now and frustration would be an understatement, I have had 3 techs out to my house, the last one installed a filter in the telephone box and knocked down my account to 1mb. I can have solid 1.3mb all day then nothing for hours, then .5 mbs for 20min then nothing......

At this point I wish I would have hung on to my old ISP, I really dont want to pay for anymore installation fees and am wondering if a fancy DSL router would filter the signal better, I dunno, but I do know this.

IF YOUR ON THE EDGE OF DSL SERVICE AREA, BEWARE BEFORE COMMITTING TO A SERVICE PROVIDER. I'm sure this is not a 'Frontier' only issue and their techs have been very sincere in trying to get mine to work better, but the lines between my home and the hub are too long and in bad shape. The $15 1mb price is awesome if only it worked all the time.......

Comments:
jbbrown

Never switch to Frontier

Just a good reminder for anyone considering Frontier, stay away from this company! Read around on these forums, there are not many positive experiences with Frontier!
john262

join:2003-09-26
Elko, NV

Re: Never switch to Frontier

Here in the Elko/Spring Creek area Frontier is the only DSL service in town. We do have a fixed wireless company but they have oversold their bandwidth and in the evening it slows down to a crawl. I am lucky enough to be near a Frontier switching station (I can see it out my bedroom window) and I am getting about 5800 kbps down. It is pricy at $65 per month including the modem rental.

Review by Majestica See Profile

• Location: Hedgesville,Berkeley,WV
Good "It works so far..."
Overall "Faster and Cheaper than HughesNet"

UPDATE 16 NOV 2011

Well I have had the service since Feb. and I have had a tech out several times, and the answer is always the same - "There is congestion in your area". Well I am tired of the congestion in my area, it's been almost a year. Why is this not fixed, or at least equipment upgraded. If you can't provide the service you are advertising, then don't offer to sell it to me. I get only 147KB/s - 175KB/s, and nothing more. I am paying for 3MB service. I am not even reaching 1MB! It's like 14% of 1MB. I called tech-support last night, they are sending someone on Saturday. I don't know what they will do, but I will post the results of the visit.

***************************************************************************************************

I consider myself to live in the middle of no where and when I found out that I could get DSL through Frontier (who recently took over for Verizon in WV) I was ecstatic! I am on the package that is "up to" 6Mb. I ordered and two week later my appointment was set for 19 January. Two tech's came out and had to have some stuff re-routed at the CO. Another tech came out 2 days later to do the install after everything else was cleared up. He told me he had to reduce the speed because there was a lot of noise on the line and that I am really at the cut off point for getting it. So far the connection has been stable and speeds are way better than what I had with my satellite, which I promptly canceled today. So far, so good. If anything changes I will update this review. I am grateful just to have another option! Ping times are good, average to yahoo/google is 42-51 ms.

Comments:
bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY

your math is off

3.0 mbit is 250KB-275KB sec. If you are getting 140-170 that's in the 1-2 mbit range. Better than Hughesnet at least.
Majestica

join:2009-01-26
Hedgesville, WV

Re: your math is off

Yes, sorry, I calculated wrong. It is better than Hughesnet, I will say that. But it is still very frustrating that I can't keep up with current internet needs, such as watch a video on youtube, netflix etc and am getting billed at full price. Once again, sorry for my wrong calculation, I think I was thinking kilobits and not kilobytes