Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by robbiej38 See Profile

• Location: Monroe,Orange,NY
Bad "Pony Express is faster"
Overall "If the is another option available, take it."

The service in Monroe, NY was bearable before the first part of December 2011. Since then its gone from bad to worse. Download used to be 1.5MB or better, now it varies from 500KB to around 1.3MB with most tests I have done in the lower range. Dealing with the company is OK, they are cordial & sympathetic.

Comments:

Review by dwill6907 See Profile

• Location: Franklin,Macon,NC
Good "There isn't any"
Bad "disconnects every 2 minutes"
Overall "Frontier internet is horrible"

Since Frontier has taken over for Verizon in my town there has been nothing but headaches. Internet kicks out every 2 or three minutes and stays off for about 5 minutes. When you call them (if they answer) they claim that it's Verizon's fault because of bad lines. Never had a problem before. Was told that they were going to do upgrades but haven't seen it yet. Even as I try and type this the internet has gone out 4 times. I still stay connected to my router so I know that it's not me which they have tried to tell me before. If you have other choices (which I don't) DO NOT pick Frontier. All they will do is make you want to pull out your hair.

If anybody wants to know what my speeds are I have included the link

»www.speedtest.net/result/1722389108.png

Comments:

Review by don544 See Profile

• Location: Ortonville,Oakland,MI
Good "NONE"
Bad "You name it, service line BS"
Overall "It might be good if they ever got there act together"

Started after local Verizon land line was sold to Frontier, had canceled Verizon land line when they did not make it out to repair downed drop to house after three days did not use anyway so why continue?

Frontier starts sending adverts saying can get DSL now, call, say can , say can not , say will check and call back,never call us back, we call they say can but have to pay install can not self install, say you are offering self install package in advert, say but we have to come fix wire we never fixed three years ago DUH.

All in all it is the same run around we got from Verizon and comcast, advertise great but service lousy, maybe if they put about 25% of the advertising budget into the service department they would have a decent product.

I do care that they have all U.S. staff but it does little good if you can not do anything with it.

01/11/2012

Have now spent about a week on and off with their service people and yes they can get line repaired they say but was told by tomorrow and then was told no not until next Thursday the 19th so we shall see.

Generally seem like a confused bunch of folks, although pleasant enough to talk to nothing seems clear cut with them, no yes or no answers just maybe or we will see.

Comments:

Review by soloridr See Profile

• Location: Cullowhee,Jackson,NC
Good "Nothing good to speak of."
Bad "Everything after installation. Incl: service and customer service"
Overall "I have no other option, worst company I've ever dealt with."

I pay for 3 Mb/s because that is the fastest speed they can provide in my area. There were times (oh the sweet memories that I actually got over 1 Mb/s....even every now and again over 2 Mb/s. These days, I am lucky that it even lets me on the internet. If it does, I get numbers like (just did a speedtest.net) 206 ms ping, 0.39 Mb/s download spped, and a 0.07 Mb/s upload speed. This is the normal for me....WHEN IT LETS ME DO THE TEST! The first time I called customer service, they walked me through speedtest.net to see together what my results were. Before I ran the test she told me what was acceptable and what to expect. When the results were extraordinarily low, she said "well they are an independent tester, we don't go by their numbers". Seriously? You just suggested we go by it? Then when the numbers weren't right, discard it? I've talked to them several times: full of apologies and promises....nothing has changed. In fact, it's getting worse. I have no other options, in fact I haven't paid for months. This company is so bad they don't even know how to turn my service (if you want to call it that) off!

Comments:

Review by e334 See Profile

• Location: Elk Grove,Sacramento,CA
Good "works"
Bad "Practices censorship, always disconnect, slow download/upload speed"
Overall "Horrible company, I hope they file bankruptcy"

Absolutely horrid internet DSL provider. They even practice censorship on sites that I regularly visit, such as www.ubuntu.com. The download/upload speeds are absolutely horrible also, will NOT recommend anyone to buy their ANY of their services. Stuck on their contract, will leave the minute the contract expires..

Comments:

Review by WeatherPilot See Profile

• Location: Cato,Cayuga,NY
Good "Better than nothing"
Bad "Slow, unreliable, and congested network"
Overall "Don't buy unless it's your only option"

A slow connection running over unreliable 50 plus year old copper through a congested DSLAM and routing network serviced by either greedy individuals or inept dolts. Wishing that this company goes down in flames or falls under the weight of it's own arrogant pompous ego does not begin to describe how much hate I have for this company. They are the only service in town so your forced to pay what the greedy ******** want to get internet. They need to fix their **** or they will only bring a federal investigation from the FCC, DOJ, FTC and AG upon themselves.

Comments:

Review by jbbrown See Profile

• Location: Lafayette,Tippecanoe,IN
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Not much"
Bad "Customer service, billing, tech support"
Overall "Avoid Frontier, stay away!"

I signed up with Verizon DSL in 2005. I had very few problems with them, the service was reliable, when I was told the speed/pricing of DSL, that is what showed up on the bill. Then Frontier took over in July 2010 and it has been nothing but problems ever since. There have been a few times that the Internet stops working for whatever reason, but it is usually up after a few hours.

My biggest problem is I cannot trust them and they have deceptive practices. I lost count of the times I called in, got their DSL speed/pricing, accepted that, and then was billed something totally different. I would call back time after time and EVERY single time I would be told a different speed/pricing. My bill was completely off for months. I was told by 2 separate reps what my speed/pricing would be and each time I received the bill, it was way off. I was so frustrated with all the back and forth that I had my wife call to talk to them. They just decided that I was quoted incorrectly and upped my DSL price by $10/month. I also had an instance where I was told they can get me better pricing, I accepted that, but they failed to tell me that my DSL speed was decreasing.

I am looking forward to my contract being up...and I am glad I have other providers to choose from. The only question is do I go with AT&T DSL or Comcast?

If you are considering Frontier, please don't - run away! Save yourself the trouble and wasted hours on the phone. After being told one thing and billed another, it is apparent they do not care about the customer.

12/31/2011 Update

My internet stopped working on 12/22. I have called them 4 times since then to get it fixed. I was told it was a problem on their end and they would get a tech out to look at it. Supposedly, a tech came out on 12/27 and "fixed" the problem. I called them on 12/29 and they said they would send someone out on 12/30. Called on 12/30 and now they tell me no one can make it until 1/5. Unbelievable! So, I have not had any internet for over a week now. I have work that needs to be done, but cannot do it without internet. I just want to leave this company...too bad I am under contract for another 6 months.

Comments:

Review by ReeDy54 See Profile

• Location: Barboursville,Cabell,WV
Good "My internet lagged out during this review."
Bad "constant disconnects,slow speeds and ping times, Customer Service"
Overall "F+ For frontier plus"

Here is the most recent speed test for Huntington,WV

»www.speedtest.net/result/1670560987.png

F+ Frontier Plus

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck Comcast is the better ISP, because with them it might be slow at night. Verizon was head and shoulders better than Frontier technically, I don't know why internet in WV is so far behind maybe it's the age of the phone lines. I ordered up to 6.0 mbp/s download with 768kbp/s. The modem comes capped at 3megs and recently has been lowered to 2.5mbp/s capped and I get actual speeds of >2.0mbp/s at $50 a month. I think the install process took a few days longer than expected and it was supposed to be professional installation, but I installed it myself which is not a big deal. I could go on all day why my experience with Frontier has been terrible. Probably the main reason is the first week I had the service it was great I was stoked at how fast it was for my game then it went BELLY UP FASTER THAN VERIZON AROUND HERE.

Comments:

Review by Captain See Profile

• Location: Dexter City,Noble,OH
Good "It works good at off peak hours"
Bad "Congestion at peak hours"
Overall "I don't have a choice"

If there was any thing else I could get I would try it. We thought we had something when we got to upgrade to 3mb 10 years ago. Kind of feel left out today.

Comments:

Review by pacree See Profile

• Location: Ripley,Jackson,WV

I've had problems with my line since they first run it. I've reported over and over the disconnects, static, and slowness. Frontier says they send someone out but I don't see them at my home, a few times I've saw them at the box along the road. I pay for 3meg down / 768 up but have never saw it. I've been told it isn't available, although when I connect through neighbors unsecured networks I see it. If I had another option I would dump my Frontier phone and internet.

member for 3 years, 17 visits, last login: 2 years ago