Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by john262 See Profile

• Location: Elko,Elko,NV
Good "Quick installation"
Overall "Overpriced for the relativley slow speed I get"

So far I am happy with Frontiernet. I moved to the Elko Nevada area from the Sacramento area, and since Frontier is about the only broadband option available in Elko, I called them from Sacramento before I moved hoping that it might be set up when I moved in. Well, I moved in over the weekend, and today, Monday, my self install kit was dropped off and within a few minutes I was up and running.

I knew from previous experience not to install their software from the CD that was part of the installation kit, so instead I connected the Speedstream 5200 modem to my Netgear router, then connected the router to my PC. It only took a minute for the DSL light on the modem to come on, and then my router was connected.

It's dynamic IP, not PPPoE like I had with SBC DSL in the Sacramento area. So it's a true always on connection. Yea! And the throughput speeds I am getting are better than advertised, 1.9 Mbps up and 276 kbps down. I was only getting 1.2/212 from SBC. In fairness to SBC, maybe I am closer to Frontier's switching station here but at any rate I am happy with the speeds. Also, I am not noticing any DNS problems so far like I read that some other Frontier customers are having, but then it's only been on for a few hours so it's too early to tell if this will be consistant or not.

Unfortunately, Frontier doesn't have a promotion like SBC has so I am paying $49.95 monthly rather than $29.95. I guess that means a few less six packs per month, but at least I don't have to worry about a contract with an early termination fee. Luckily, when I cancelled SBC my year long contract had just run out.

Frontier also includes an unlimited dialup account with their DSL service, but their NNTP newsgroup server is not the best. It lacks binary groups and even the text groups don't have much retention, but I can live with that since I don't use usenet very much.

So far I am happy, but I know full well that sometimes problems can crop up after a few weeks so I will reserve final judgement for now, but so far so good. I will post an update after a while to let you know how it's going.

-- Here is an update after about a year of service. My only complaint is cost. At $49.95 per month I am paying a lot more than customers in other areas with other providers are paying. I can only hope that this situation will change when our local cable company, Charter, begins to offer broadband Internet, which should happen soon.

But technically, the service remains excellent. Speeds are great, and I have never seen the problems with DNS servers that some Frontiernet customers in other areas have reported.

7/29/10 I decided to cancel Frontier and try another ISP here in Elko, Wireless Beehive. However, I was unsatisfied with it because of uneven service, and it was unsuitable to VOIP, so I canceled them and I am back with Frontier. The cost has gone up to $57 monthly including a modem rental fee for stand alone DSL, and they forced me into a one year contract. They have bumped the speeds up. I now get 3 Mbps down and 380 Kbps up, which is pretty slow for that price. In Salt Lake City I could get three times that speed for $20 per month less. The modem is a combination modem and router, the Siemens SE567. It seems to be quite stable and I have seldom had to reboot it, but it's signal is weaker than what I got with my previous wireless router. Now upstairs in my bedroom Windows says that the signal is "good," whereas with the other router it was "excellent."

Edit - 12/8/11 They have bumped my speed up to about 6 Mbps down.

member for 10.5 years, 2622 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

dsl fees

@comcast.net

dsl modem fees

are you paying fees for the dsl modem yet?

Review by pufrontier See Profile

• Location: Cory,Clay,IN
Good "Finally found an honest CSR (from New York!)"
Bad "Lied multiple times, technicians pulled no-shows, phone service still problematic"
Overall "If you have other options, take them!"

We have had phone with Frontier after they took over Verizon a year or more ago. Since then, they have come to "repair" the line (didn't work), replace the work (worked, but no one on other end can really hear or understand the speaker and it cuts out constantly), and we just kinda gave up and kept it as is. We called to cancel service (why pay 60 bucks for crap?) with the thought that we would do better with cell phones and a cheaper internet than Hughes net ($5 every time you go over 200mb - a day), and they said "Well, whattdya know, we can get you high speed DSL, just got it over there!" We were stoked and made an install appointment. The day came and went. He never showed. Called them after 530 pm that night and were told the order was never placed and was in "engineering" which meant we probably couldn't get DSL. She put me on hold for a good 30 minutes or more and finally told me that they could get me DSL, but since the order was never processed they had to make new order. So, scheduled for today. We called in morning to make sure the same problems as last time. They verified that a technician was scheduled and would be there; we requested they call us if something happens (and they were to call when the tech was on way) and they said ok. 10 till 5, no call and no tech. Called them, upset, and asked what the deal was and was told that they updated the account on her end (in New York) 3 HOURS BEFORE THAT. I asked why they didn't call, why didn't they just tell us in the first place? We pretty much got the hint the first time but went by their word anyway. She only said "Im sorry" over and over until I hung up. I am posting this not because it's new to anyone, obviously, but because I complained to the BBB and want to urge everyone to do this as well. Nothing will be done if we all just take it.

Comments:

Review by Unibomber See Profile

• Location: Spring Creek,Elko,NV
Good "Tech service ! They really do want it to work."
Bad "Connection reliability is well, I hope i make it through this review..."
Overall "They really need to say NO to applicants on edge of DSL range."

I went to the Frontier home office in my area and spoke face to face with a technician in order to get a straight answer regarding DSL. I was very forward indicating that I DO NOT want partial service or inconsistent DSL, I would rather just keep my slower ISP if that was going to be the case. The tech stated I should be able to get solid 3mb given my distance from the closest hub. When I specifically asked about my distance from the hub he was a little more concerned but was confident 3mbs would be attainable.

My installer was awesome 'Tyler', kind, professional and once the line was installed he was, well worried. My speeds were not great, but closer to 1.5mbs and sometimes 3mbs if all the stars were aligned. But I was happy with 1.5-3mbs considering my old ISP was 1Mbs if everyone else in my valley was out to dinner. My installer then began to warning me of frequent 'drops' at my distance from the hub. At this point I had already disconnected from my old ISP.

Its been three weeks now and frustration would be an understatement, I have had 3 techs out to my house, the last one installed a filter in the telephone box and knocked down my account to 1mb. I can have solid 1.3mb all day then nothing for hours, then .5 mbs for 20min then nothing......

At this point I wish I would have hung on to my old ISP, I really dont want to pay for anymore installation fees and am wondering if a fancy DSL router would filter the signal better, I dunno, but I do know this.

IF YOUR ON THE EDGE OF DSL SERVICE AREA, BEWARE BEFORE COMMITTING TO A SERVICE PROVIDER. I'm sure this is not a 'Frontier' only issue and their techs have been very sincere in trying to get mine to work better, but the lines between my home and the hub are too long and in bad shape. The $15 1mb price is awesome if only it worked all the time.......

Comments:
jbbrown

join:2011-11-23

Never switch to Frontier

Just a good reminder for anyone considering Frontier, stay away from this company! Read around on these forums, there are not many positive experiences with Frontier!
john262

join:2003-09-26
Elko, NV

Re: Never switch to Frontier

Here in the Elko/Spring Creek area Frontier is the only DSL service in town. We do have a fixed wireless company but they have oversold their bandwidth and in the evening it slows down to a crawl. I am lucky enough to be near a Frontier switching station (I can see it out my bedroom window) and I am getting about 5800 kbps down. It is pricy at $65 per month including the modem rental.

Review by Majestica See Profile

• Location: Hedgesville,Berkeley,WV
Good "It works so far..."
Overall "Faster and Cheaper than HughesNet"

UPDATE 16 NOV 2011

Well I have had the service since Feb. and I have had a tech out several times, and the answer is always the same - "There is congestion in your area". Well I am tired of the congestion in my area, it's been almost a year. Why is this not fixed, or at least equipment upgraded. If you can't provide the service you are advertising, then don't offer to sell it to me. I get only 147KB/s - 175KB/s, and nothing more. I am paying for 3MB service. I am not even reaching 1MB! It's like 14% of 1MB. I called tech-support last night, they are sending someone on Saturday. I don't know what they will do, but I will post the results of the visit.

***************************************************************************************************

I consider myself to live in the middle of no where and when I found out that I could get DSL through Frontier (who recently took over for Verizon in WV) I was ecstatic! I am on the package that is "up to" 6Mb. I ordered and two week later my appointment was set for 19 January. Two tech's came out and had to have some stuff re-routed at the CO. Another tech came out 2 days later to do the install after everything else was cleared up. He told me he had to reduce the speed because there was a lot of noise on the line and that I am really at the cut off point for getting it. So far the connection has been stable and speeds are way better than what I had with my satellite, which I promptly canceled today. So far, so good. If anything changes I will update this review. I am grateful just to have another option! Ping times are good, average to yahoo/google is 42-51 ms.

Comments:
bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY

your math is off

3.0 mbit is 250KB-275KB sec. If you are getting 140-170 that's in the 1-2 mbit range. Better than Hughesnet at least.
Majestica

join:2009-01-26
Hedgesville, WV

Re: your math is off

Yes, sorry, I calculated wrong. It is better than Hughesnet, I will say that. But it is still very frustrating that I can't keep up with current internet needs, such as watch a video on youtube, netflix etc and am getting billed at full price. Once again, sorry for my wrong calculation, I think I was thinking kilobits and not kilobytes

Review by Moirwinvail See Profile

• Location: Cave Junction,Josephine,OR
Good "customer service does their job pretty well only had a few incompitents"
Bad "there is NO connectability"
Overall "for 120 a month i should be getting more than the net i paid for back in the 90's"

I have been a customer of frontier for almost five years now. Being in the area I live in I'm pretty much forced into using their service as I work from home as a medical transcriptionist. Their horrible connection however makes it nearly impossible to do my work and thus barely pay the bills. Now when i was working in the 90's this sort of connection would have been acceptable probably one of the best there was. unfortunately people cannot live off the kind of money you would make from that time and you can guess how i feel about it. If your going to charge a high price for your services you had better have those services to provide.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

DSL

DSL does NOT generally come with an SLA and thus you get what you pay for. If you order regular DSL; you get the same thing the other person is paying for next door to your home; except you pay a a higher bill. If your job requires you to have a constant connection to the Internet you should look at a service that provides an SLA or a back-up connection.

Review by Warbler See Profile

• Location: Azalea,Douglas,OR
Good "The service has been mostly reliable. Rare outages, but can be long time without connection."
Bad "Less than 1 mb/sec. Can not watch videos. Like little blobs running around on the screen."
Overall "I dream of moving from this place as soon as possible so I can get decent DSL speed and some selection in providers."

Where we live there is no other service except for Hughes Net and Wild Blue (which is dishonest at best). So, they have you. No choice. I turned off my land line because I was tired of paying $45/mo. for a phone line we hardly use. When we decided to turn it back on, they wanted $100 MORE per month, on top of the $59/mo. for DSL. They used to advertise up to 12 mb/sec, now I see it's down to 6. I'd be tickled with 2 or 3. We routinely get less than 1 mb/sec. Videos break up, stop, fail altogether. We had to turn off Direct TV because we couldn't afford both, but what a nightmare. I've complained before; guess I'll try one more time. Can't wait to move away from here and Frontier's poor bandwidth. Living in the country has its downside.

• Location: Elloree,Orangeburg,SC
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "After initial connectivity issues, they got it sorted out."
Bad "Did not advertise with dsl price, the need to pay for a landline phone"
Overall "$65 a month for 3 Mb/sec. I wish they would ask for me to at least bend over first next time."

Used to having comcast. Just moved into SC and am getting charged over $60
a month for 3Mb/sec dsl. They do not provide naked dsl and tell me I need
to pay for a phone line to get it. What a scam!!! I already pay for 4 cell
phones in my house and have no intention on using a land line to pay for
long distance. I feel like Im back in the 20th century. $65 a month for
slow dsl. I am dropping them and going to a local wireless provider.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

ThomasMiller

@50.42.62.x

Update:

I called Frontier once again after seeing on their website that you can order dsl without paying for phone service. The lady told me on the phone that she could not explain the offers online and could not offer them. She also told me that came directly from the CEO. So I emailed the CEO. (Maggie Wilderotter) Surprisingly, she emailed me back within an hour. Within the next hour, I got a phone call from someone else. Guess what? They gave me the DSL service without paying for phone service. If this isn't good customer loyalty, than I don't know what is. Thank you Ms. Wilderotter.

Review by repilce See Profile

• Location: Henryville,Clark,IN
Good "It works... most of the time, but getting worse."
Bad "Constant and growing more frequent disconnects of service."
Overall "I have it, because insight does not go down my dead end road"

My service was bought out from Verizon by frontier. For the 6-8 months I had it with verizon I had no issues except for a minor slip up on getting a tech out here, I had to wait a week longer than expected, but once going it was great, and Verizon credited me a month due to the mishap.. Since Frontier has taken over I have noticed poor quality speeds and latency at times, with frequent and growing rapidly MORE frequent disconnects. Just this morning of 9/18/11 I have experienced about 10 disconnects from the time I woke up and started computing to now, which has only been about 2 hours.. I wish that insight would run a line down our road, they are on the adjacent "main" road in my semi-rural area. I am no cisco certified network admin, but I have been in the IT field for about 14 years, and I know it's not on my end. I think frontier bit off a bit more than they could chew.

Comments:

Review by CableGei See Profile

• Location: Brookville,Montgomery,OH
Good "I have always talked to US based Tech Support"
Bad "Poor Value"
Overall "In my area, Time Warner Cable wins over Frontier."

9/6/11 Update:

Frontier seems to have taken care of the severe network congestion in my area by adding more backbone capacity. I no longer have issues with packet loss due to network congestion as I did before. Sometimes my DSL modem will lose its WAN IP at exactly midnight and not renew it for hours... or until I call their tech support and the automated system "Checks the line" before I get placed into the call queue. As soon as the line check is performed, something happens that allows me to pull a WAN IP immediately. Power-cycling the modem does not make a difference.

I've had so many small connectivity issues with them it's been ridiculous. They are always willing to give me a credit, but I rarely feel like calling them. It's just a hassle, but I suppose that's my problem.

If I had the option of getting Time Warner Cable here, I would. But this is what I have. I find the value to be very poor. I pay $30-something for "up to 3Mbps" and receive 1.7Mbps. Even if I got the full 3Mbps, it'd still be a crappy deal.

--Original Review:

I've got 768Kbps DSL from Frontier. I'd order a faster package, but that's simply the fastest available to me. At just over $30 for this package, that down right sucks. I started with a Westell 6100, but have recently upgraded to a Westell 7500.

I'm in a former Verizon area that is now served by Frontier. I live in a rural area where in the past, Verizon didn't want to spend money on network upgrades; I'm giving Frontier a chance by reporting my constant trouble on a weekly basis. I don't expect them to know about my trouble if I don't report it, so I make sure that I report it.

Frontier has been very easy to talk to and I have been down right impressed by their tech support on the phone. There is usually no wait time and after I navigate through the calling menus, a knowledgeable tech support rep has always greeted me, listened to my problem in detail, and not made me jump through all the script read hoops that I've come to expect by every other ISP I've talked to.

I know that Frontier is dealing with years of neglect on the copper plant in my area from Verizon, so I'm giving them a fair chance to correct the issue before my contract is up. If things aren't fixed when my contract is up, I'll be jumping ship. If they do, I'm willing to stay despite the ridiculous speed/cost ratio. My only other options are wireless providers and I'm not OK with that type of latency.

member for 9.8 years, 2022 visits, last login: 145 days ago

Comments:

Armyguy0407

@suddenlink.net

losing WAN ip address

For those of you who lose the WAN IP address. This is easy and simple to fix... You log into the modem at 192.168.1.1(all westell modems have this default gateway address) Hit the "my Network" icon at the top after you log in. Usually with "admin" as the username and "admin" as the password. If that doesn't work try "password" for the password. All frontier modems have "password" as the default password unless we(tech support agents) ask you to change it. We change the username to admin and password to admin because we deal with alot of modems on a daily basis and it's difficult for us if they are something else because then we have to hard reset the modem to default it.... Which is another thing that I will get into later. You then hit "network connections" on the left. Click in the text "broadband connection: DSL" in green. You then come to a page that says "Advanced DSL Configuration" look on the very first line and you should see "connection status". Look right next to it and you will see "release" if you are DHCP. And "disconnect" if you are a PPPoE customer. Hit whichever one you see. Wait for a few seconds. It might ask you for a username and password again though. Log in and proceed. Once you see "connection status down or disconnected" click "renew or connect" and you will just have released and renewed you WAN IP address. If this doesn't fix your issue then call tech support and tell them that you have released and renewed your ip address already. If this keeps happening to you, this is a modem issue. Tell them that you keep having this problem, they will look into the ticket history and hopefully that agent will replace your modem if they have been on the job long enough.

Simes549

@50.41.217.x

Frontier barely works after it rains

Frontier is horrible, and my speed is like city dial up after it rains for a half a day or more. I live in the country, trust me there is a big speed difference with dial up between city and country. They high speed I am charged for and get are not even close. Tech support is a freaking joke, but alternatives do I have? Time Warner will not come down my road. Would Clear / Clearwire really be worse? Hughes.net is overpriced.
Suggestions / Alternatives?

Review by Boonedox See Profile

• Location: Bloomington,Mclean,IL
Good "Cheaper than Comcast, hasn't changed my rates"
Bad "No Support or Customer Service, Can't reach people, Service Not Consistent"
Overall "Avoid if you can, but where can you go"

Good luck talking to a person. It is impossible to pay your bill. The website for payment doesn't work at all. Has been "Temporarily experiencing issues" for over a year. The Pay by Phone option also doesn't work. Frontier and Verizon use different account numbers. Calling them asks for your account phone number but you don't have one. You then must input an account number from your bill. Except the account number on your bill isn't your account number. What is it then, it is a secret account number that only they have. It isn't printed or made available to you.

Call and get a person (try yelling Operator over and over again and the computer might send you to a human). They are apologetic for the trouble and nice enough. I think they know there company sucks. However, they really can't do anything for you. Only pay your bills by check and mail. And pay it several weeks ahead. Good luck getting reconnected when you are a few days late. The

Comcast sucks but what other choice do you have. Nobody has this bad of customer service. EPIC FAIL!!!

Comments:
jpgr
WAR

join:2011-08-18
Clyde, OH

Just got frontier

I live 3.5 miles from Frontiers central office that they just bought off Verizon . Verizon told my Dad that our lines are to old to get DSL an we can never get it . So we had to get wildblue satelite service that sucks but then frontier buys our lines and it took about 4 months for them to qualify our lines for DSL . They added a loop extender about a mile from my house and took out all the load coils . Now we are getting around 1.5 up to 2.3 and latency average around 42ms and we are on the up to 3 m plan . we are very happy to finnaly be on the grid and not pointing at the sky for internet . I know people been saying alot off bad stuff about Frontier but if you live in the country an never had DSL and find out you can get it from Frontier do it . And the other people that already have DSL and then Frontier bought your dsl service . Give them a few months to organize couse verizon was a mess and Frontier is American based another reason why to stay with Frontier . I am very grateful Frontier for thinking of the unwanted an making us wanted frontier rulez..... but i have some questions about my margin db an line antenuation if any one can tell what these means thanks

Main

North Tonawanda, NY
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

Re: Just got frontier

Your margins and Attenuation are low/high respectively due to your distance, as you've stated. Unless you NID gives better statistics that is pretty much all you will be able to get. The upload could get bumped up a bit higher.

The margin simply outlines how much Noise to Signal there is. Ideally if this can be kept above 10dB you can usually slide. 15dB and higher are where you should be golden. Attenuation can technically be anything based on the line, so there is no good value for a line but ideally, 30dB and lower is the sweet spot. Once past this spot, speeds and reliability start to tank pretty quickly.

Congrats on getting DSL, by the way