Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by Bob61571 See Profile

• Location: Washington,Tazewell,IL
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "No Contract , No Extra Added Services"
Bad "Slow Speed, Bad Online Support and Website, Lack of Communication, Frontier not keeping up with current technology here"
Overall "DSL speeds too slow, phone/DSL bundles price too high"

·MTCO Communicati..
·DIRECTV
August 17, 2012
Just received bill for 4 months of 3Mb DSL and Telephone service in the mail, for $360+.
No penalty added(that was so nice of them).
Frontier allowing for partial payment plan, if you call them.
Sounds like the customer billing/payment software system failed, big time!

++++++++++++++++++
As of July 1, 2010, Frontier is now my provider, after the Verizon acquisition.
$30 is for 3Mbps/768 speed, transferred from previous Verizon deal from late 2009/early 2010. Also, pay $54 for telephone, plus taxes/fees. Router/gateway is Verizon's Actiontec GT704-WG. More reliable than previous Verizon issued hardware(Westell 327W and 7500). Usual speedtest in range from 2.8 to 2.4 down. Have recorded 1.8 in late 2010/early 2011.

My alternatives are Comcast, MTCO(reselling DSL), HiBeam wireless, and the cellphone providers(Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, US Cellular). Some new Fiber providers are providing service nearby: ITV-3 in Pekin, and MTCO in Metamora). I don't think that Comcast has upgraded the Peoria area to DOCSIS 3 yet. AT&T has no interest in adding U-Verse in the Peoria area, since they still offer slow DSL. Local area has patchwork of telcos(Frontier, MTCO, FairPoint, CenturyLink, AT&T). Aggravating for Peoria area, as we are World Headquarters for a Fortune 50 multinational. Many of its employees provide support from home.

Good: Few connection problems for months(until lately). Recorded 14.55Mbps speedtest in October 2010(only lasted for a few days).

Bad experiences: Had 36 hour DSL/Phone outage(connected to rain/local construction) in mid June 2011. In last month(per speedtest.net), Frontier has been moving my initial connection from Carbondale, IL to DeKalb, IL to current Wichita, Kansas(where IP is now identified as Frontier, not Verizon). This required router power cycling. Verizon had previously used a small town near Dayton, Ohio.

Netflix is unwatchable on TV. Even YouTube on the PC has stutter.

Lack of communication from Frontier on outages(until after service restored), and future area plans. Website still has many Verizon references, 1 year after acquisition. Website support/documentation is definitely worse than Verizon.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
June 20 2014 - Cancelled Frontier because of 3 MB DSL Internet service and high bundle price with wireline phone of $98.

Good: Relatively stable, although had problems during snowstorms.

Bad: Frontier just did not want to upgrade their DSL speeds from 3MB here. Confirmed that this was my best available speed , after talking to Jeff Scott, Frontier area manager in Spring 2013. Frontier showing that they are not even close to being in the current game, with internet speed. They must think that area has no alternatives, or that they just don't have the $ to get into the current game. Bundle of landline and DSL was $98, which is too expensive. Also, cancelled service June 20 2014, and refund check arrived exactly 3 months later Sept 20 2014. This may be their process, but it's a slow/antiquated process for customers. All this shows why Frontier is a sub-par telco, that will continue to wither on the vine. Left Frontier for newly constructed fiber over builder CLEC, MTCO.

member for 6.3 years, 1854 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Blackbird See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Service/repair response time"
Bad "Severe slowdowns/stoppages during peak hours"
Overall "Seriously looking for alternatives, but very few choices are available"

This service started out with Verizon several years ago (hence my installation reviews reflect Verizon's earlier stewardship), and was bought up several years ago by Frontier. DSL and POTS under Frontier started out on a par with the previous Verizon level, but about two years ago, notable deterioration of DSL download speeds began occurring at peak hours, at times bringing things to a complete halt for several minutes. Apparently, server and/or line capacity isn't keeping up with traffic levels, especially after 5pm until 11pm when a lot of users stream data or game.

Also, there continue to be unrelated (but fortunately infrequent) problems with POTS heavy line noise/static (caused by cracks in the aging copper) that interfere with the phone service, but not the DSL running at a higher frequency. The copper lines to this area are old and poorly maintained.

The service still remains priced at $14.95/mo "for life," as originally contracted with Verizon.

10/6/14 Update: in discussing this with a Frontier tech on site, Frontier is currently only using one pipeline for all the DSL service in this entire NE Indiana region; speed complaints have been growing rapidly for several years as the capacity has completely saturated during the peak evening hours, and the frustrated techs are getting the brunt of the complaints. Unfortunately, Frontier management is apparently ignoring the problem and feedback from its own techs, as it instead chases after fiber customers... all of which creates a major ongoing problem for those of us DSL users who haven't been given fiber service into our areas nor are on any schedule for getting such service. Most nights, DSL speeds here often intermittently drop to or below dial-up speeds for several hours at a stretch, and Frontier seems unwilling/unable to deal with the problem or to honor their speed commitments.

member for 9.8 years, 3244 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by aurgathor See Profile

• Location: Lynnwood,Snohomish,WA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (month by month)
Good "works fine sometimes"
Bad "broken DNS servers, occasional long outages, throughput issues"
Overall "seriously thinking of switching comcast"

Verizon was OK, but things have gone seriously downhill since the switchover to Frontier. An IP change from a Verizon IP to Frontier IP took about 16 hours, for one.
Their DNS servers are crap and do page hijacking, see: »page hijacking by Frontier

Because of their "automatic" 12 months contract, I dropped them at the first renewal. After nearly 15 years, I don't want long term contracts.

member for 11.9 years, 6614 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

fancythecat

@74.32.109.x

Frontier not fixing service area where I live and no other service available

Hello,
We have no cell service in our area. We are having multiple problems with both phone service and internet with Frontier. Happening to over 100 residences. I would like to know just what we are supposed to do. No other company here, monolopy area.
We have multiple medical issues and phone works just sometimes.
If phone companies cannot afford to repair lines, and making people go to cell service, then they better put up a tower here. Something really must be done about this issue.
Why isn't the public service doing something about this problem???????????????????

@74.32.109.x

Re: Frontier not fixing service area where I live and no other service available

While they are having their meetings trying to decide what to do, we the customers, are without dependable service here. This has went on for months and months and months now.

jlevans

join:2002-11-20
Mansfield, PA
where are you ???

@184.9.184.x

In Cabins, West Virginia

Review by William See Profile

• Location: Washougal,Clark,WA
Good "No complaints, except mail service"
Bad "Flaky mail service"
Overall "Fast and reliable"

·Canvas Dreams
02-15-14, been almost 2 years now, quite happy still, though wish mail service would work better. Frontier Yahoo mail is a flake of a service.

As an satellite user, was quite skeptical about Frontier was even really available here, my location is over 10 miles from the nearest town, there is a remote terminal about 2 miles down the road. Had Frontier DSL since 02-23-12 and took about a week for the install, using the Westell 7500 modem/router, all-in-all quite happy with the service.

Started with 3 Mbps down and 768K up, see speeds of ~ 3 Mbps down and ~ 1 Mbps up, don't recall exact date upload speed increased to 1 Mbps from 768. Have yet to contact Frontier for support. not needed yet, been over a year now. Pings generally stay below 50 ms all hours of the day, do spike every now and then above 100 ms, higher pings really don't bother me, coming from satellite.

member for 4.6 years, 1746 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Scott M tech

@50.121.70.x

Frontier services

Hello,
I'm actually a technician with frontiers regular high speed internet help desk. Definitely consider giving frontier a call about the issues you're having, all of our 100 percent US based work force would be happy to assist you in trouble shooting your problem.

Thanks,
Scott M
burnside

join:2012-06-19

Frontier DSL Port Availability

I am building a house in the Washougal area by the Washougal River. I have spoke to a few technicians and see that there are no more available DSL ports. The neighbors I am building by all have DSL with Frontier. Am I doomed never to get a port unless one day someone drops Frontier???

Thanks,
b

John tan

@mycingular.net

Bad

Frontier is bad!! I hate it I'm switching

Mark Mywords

@untd.com

The Frontier dsl Port Unavailability Excuse

Frontier customer service is so consistently inconsistent that it's hard to believe it's not part of a plot. Rumor has it that Frontier is an agent of the liberal agenda working to frustrate and deny hi-speed access to political adversaries/conservatives.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

Re: The Frontier dsl Port Unavailability Excuse

As outlandish as that rumor is, it could be true. Frontier sux in almost every way imaginable.

Review by yolarry See Profile

• Location: Creston,Wirt,WV
Good "Fast. Good Ping. "
Bad "Technical support needs a little improvement"
Overall "Better then Hughesnet"

·HughesNet Satell..
When you live in the rural area you got no choice but to switch from dial up or satellite to DSL. Finally after waiting for so long to get off the train wreck of Hughesnet. This year frontier answer my prayers and installed fiber optic lines. I had trouble with costumer service with techs giving me the run around and does give me a decent progress or ETA unless I talk the engineers from the remote box that is like 500 feet from my home which they don’t see to have no clue either . So 3 months later I talk to Ree GM Social Networking person, and she was very nice and send our order and 2 day air ship the netgear modem/router before they put the signs up on the remote box. Next day different tech calls in and say that she does not see anything listed on her database so I told the person it’s already taking care of, and she was being rude about saying my modem can’t do anything unless I am having account. So I hung up and called the main office, and the guy said it’s listed but I can only get 8mbps but funny thing the engineer tech was testing and getting 18 mbps. So I thought I go ahead and try 8mbps with $20 bucks a month. I got sick of paying $74 to Hughesnet. Not like I can upgrade anytime right? So 10/3/2013 the modem/router finally arrived. Place the filters hooked it up. DSL light blinking. Called the tech and he put me on hold for like 30 mins, and he tells me my neighborhood is set for 7th but he notices my neighbor is having a date for Friday installation so he’s going to put a request to check my end and see whats going on while he’s at neighbors. I know the box got redone in 2007 when a lighting storm struck the NIC beside my house. The line from the booth to the pole and to the house got replace in 2005. So could be an issue with junction haven’t rig up for DSL.. So next day (Friday) tech goes to the neighbor’s house. So I went to visit and ask if he got anything for me, and he said not without order #. So called frontier and to request the work order #. I was in a rush to get it to the tech before he leaves but the lady wanted to talk me into signing up for dish for like 5 mins and I told her we will discuss that later sometime but keeps bragging about it. So the guy hooked me up and told me to reboot my modem/router and should be getting 7mbps. WOOHOO

Benefits I like about this like about my new $20 internet

- I can game. That’s the major flow on hughesnet I couldn’t deal with it

- Unlimited. Now I can video chat with my friends and family over skype

- Netlifx. I’m a huge fan ever since I stay at my brother’s house.

- Weather does not kill my connection unlike hughesnet.

I’m overall happy since this the first time in my life I have DSL. I wouldn’t complain much to frontier but they really need some better techs.

Thanks for taking time to read this review. I just happy to get out of Hughesnet.

Update 11/12/2013: Still running rock solid. some hiccups with a couple of down times but all is good. I went ahead and upgrade to the 12mbps package and everything went fine but still getting crappy upload speed (1 mbps). I download some games from steam with my new package and sometimes it was hitting 15mbps. wow. Also, I been trying to port forward ports for an MW3 dedicated server off steam, but no mater what I tried I can't seem to get it open ports (Nat Strict) I even tried to bridge with my Linksys E3000 and still not letting me.

Update 12/4/2013: still running great. No bad luck! I saw my uptime 20 days and look at the chart and downloaded over 200GB last month. of course I brought a bunch of games on steam and watching netflix in HD on my xbox 360. Took the time and finally do windows update on all my pcs. Ask the neighbor if they have any issues and they say it's running great too!

Total on my phone bill with both internet and landline month $82

Update 9/19/2014: About couple months ago thunderstorm struck my modem and my poor linksys E3000 no longer reads LAN ports expect 1. Lucky I had a extra modem that frontier accidentally sent 2. I have not yet report this to frontier. Also my linksys turn into a wifi repeater only now I notice some days netflix and gaming doesn't play well. I get lag spike. Oh well! anything better then Hughesnet. Might call them next week to see if bundle with Dish Network since I miss tv for ~5 years now. I don't miss the commercials but I do miss my shows.

Comments:

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

Disappointed

Well, been close to 6 weeks since frontier started doing stuff in my area and after all the talk of us getting DSL. I have spoke with tammy(in parkersburg) several times and she's still saying "several weeks to go" but she said by the end of this year, everything will be complete(yeah, sure) I have'nt seen frontier do anything big down at the sub station in atleast 4 weeks now and there is snow on the ground already.

I guess 20 or maybe 40 more years of good old hughesnet. Hope frontier is treating you good atleast.
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password

Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

lucky you i only got DSL no fiber yet

lucky you i only got DSL no fiber yet

Review by spaceace49 See Profile

• Location: Altamont,Effingham,IL
Good "Speed is as advertised during the daytime"
Bad "In the evening from 7pm-12am the speeds drop to around 1.5Mbps down like clockwork"
Overall "I am leaving Frontier ASAP"

The package I ordered was the Business Ultra package. Advertised speed is 15Mbps down and 2Mbps up. Priced at $79 per month. My location is around 1-1.5 miles from the CO so signal strength isn't a problem. I ordered the business package because I work from home and required stable speeds and latency for VOIP connection.

Initial installation took around 2 weeks to complete due to rescheduling of the technician and needing a network interface box installed outside the house. Calling Frontier's support line didn't give any real results as they wouldn't give me a specific date when it would be completed. I was originally told it would be installed within a week.

Modem supplied was the Zyxel P-663HN-51 model.

After the initial installation the speeds seemed fairly stable and the internet rarely goes down. However, within a month I started noticing in the evenings the speeds started declining around 6pm and got progressively worse until around 12am with download speeds dropping to around 1.5Mbps down. The upload speed stayed consistent at around 1.9Mbps up and this never changes. After 12am the download speed jumped back up to 13.5Mbps down which is the normal maximum speed. During the day the speeds were close to normal, but still inconsistent. I placed several calls into Frontier support describing the issue I was experiencing and they dispatched a technician who replaced my modem with a different model (Frontier branded FV2200 model). I had the same problem with this modem as well. The technician suggested it might be "too many people online during the evenings". I put up with this for several more months with most evenings having to deal with the download dropping to 1.5-2Mbps. The lowest I saw was 1Mbps. At these speeds Netflix would not even load. HD viewing is out of the question. After around 10 months of service, I submitted a complaint to the FCC which Frontier responded to within a week by sending out 2 service technicians. I was told my line and connection looked solid with no issues on their end. They ran some speedtests inside and noticed the connection being inconsistent even around 3pm when they were here. They again replaced the modem with the same FV2200 modem and I continued having the problems as before. I was told I shouldn't be experiencing these drops in speed and that nobody else in the area was experiencing this. I received a call from the "supervisor" for the area as a followup and discussed the ongoing issue that was still occurring. I was again told this should not be happening and he would let the technicians know so they'd take a look at it again. I never heard anything back several weeks later so I again filed another complaint with the FCC with an attachment showing my speedtests every hour for one evening from 6pm-12am. I have heard nothing back since then and the problem continues.

I will be leaving Frontier very shortly once I verify my contract has expired and setup connection with Mediacom cable which is the only other option in this area other than wireless cell service.

downloadSpeedtest.pdf 119,177 bytes

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

We don't care

LOL!!!!!

"too many people online during the evenings"

In other words, "too many people online since we over sold our service and our equipment is crap and we don't care".

Re: We don't care

Medicom has some problems to

Review by dragonman300 See Profile

• Location: Anaheim,Orange,CA
Good "Order 6mbps plan now getting 12mbps!"
Bad "DSLAM appear to running at max capacity"
Overall "Internet work fine and I am happy camper "

·Dish Network
Im currently babysitting dogs at my Grandma house in Lake Havasu City for a month. I ordered $30 Broadband Simply MAX 6mbps. The tech installation and Netgear 7750 Gateway is free, Thanks to Frontier. After the technician left, I decided to speedtest my internet connection. Speedtest show 11.30mbps down and 0.90mbps up which is good! Although the ping is higher than I thought. But hey, at least my internet work and now I can get my service on my T-mobile GS4 via Wifi Calling.

My ADSL2+ signal stat and Speedtest

member for 3.7 years, 1227 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by skidmarks See Profile

• Location: Unityville,Lycoming,PA
Good "Reliability"
Bad "Only Name in town, Over sold CO"
Overall "Awful, Almost feel like they are robbing me every month"

I had awful, and I do mean awful, internet speeds. Started out with the second connect line and was trying to balance the two lines at my house with a PIX box and a Symantec firewall. The lines were so bad I could not get them to balance. Problem was both lines sucked so 2 X Suck= Sucking twice as bad! Bought my way out of that contract and went to one line. I did not want to have two separate networks in my house just to get internet. I run a video server in my home and it was a nightmare to get recognized on two different house networks. For a YEAR I called and complained. Every time I called I asked if I was in a congested network. If the area was off the list I would have them put me back on. Never failed. I decided I would go to a business class to see it a fixed IP would get me put on a better port of the hub or if my routing would be different... Nope just as bad. That is where I am at now. How bad do you ask? Between 200 - 400K every night for two years! That's how bad. Day (before the school bus gets through and folks get home from work) 1 to 1.5M.

Now i just gave up for about 6 months, but when i pay them each month i just get more and more p***ed off. I have been monitoring my routes and it appears that i get most of my packet loss away from the CO. Like 4 to 6 Frontier hops away. Today i finally filed a complaint with the FCC!

Comments:
jazneo

buying 2 line dont make interent go faster

buying to line in one house will just make your bandwith twice small because of te dsl signal

Review by afriedma See Profile

• Location: Snohomish,Snohomish,WA
Bad "Very slow speeds, uneven service, poor customer service"
Overall "If there was any other choice, I would take it immediately"

Verizon sold their Washington State phone service to Frontier. Prior to that point I would have stated that it would be hard for me to believe that there could be a worse DSL provider than Verizon; I now stand corrected! We have experienced complete outages for over a week at a time, and DSL speeds vary wildly each day and over long periods of time. For the last several weeks, upload and download speeds have rarely surpassed 350 kbps. At times, speeds have dropped to below 150 kbps. We are 'provisioned' for 1500 kbps download and 750 kbps upload, but those speeds have rarely ever been achieved.

Customer service is also atrocious. Very long on-hold waiting times to get Tech Service, only to finally get a completely unhelpful 'tech' ("restart your modem and computer"). Trying chat or email is no better. For months, they were unwilling to acknowledge that there was even a regional problem, even though all my neighbors have the same issues. Now, they just tell me that they are 'upgrading' their service, and that is the cause of the problems. When asked when the 'upgrade' will be finished, they are unwilling to give even a range of dates.

If I had another option, I would take it in a second, but there does not appear to be one.

Comments:

Review by jazneo See Profile

• Location: Hazel Green,Grant,WI
Good "Get good ping for online game"
Bad "Disconnect in the week Random"
Overall "Only DSL in my Area"

It run ok for a DSL line that 110miles from the DSL server. There some time the connection get Disconnect out Randomly mostly like something happen to the Telephone line. i only get 1.20mb down that enough for games but take forever to update and download new game. I live in valley only connection i can get. If there was any other DSL or Some other type Fiber line i would change over.

It only take one day to get connect get Frontier install

I get good ping for mmorpg games.

Example games i play

The elder scroll online no Combat lag
Dragon nest no lag