Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by muffy1986 See Profile

• Location: Bruceton Mills,Preston,WV
Good "nothing"
Bad "everything"
Overall "avoid at all costs"

I ordered the basic DSL package with speeds up to 7 MBPS. That "up to" is a bad bad thing, because the highest I have ever received was 3.x mbps, and that was prior to the Verizon buyout. When the internet is functioning, which isn't all that often, it's usually at 1 mbps or lower. Recently, throughout the day, the connection is down to 0.05 mbps, when we're lucky enough to have service. The service is down more than it's up, and they appear to be throttling many sites, like YouTube, Netflix, and Facebook. Unfortunately, this is the only company that will provide non-dialup internet service in this area due to the crazy oligopolies that exist, so I can't really get any other service.

The initial setup was surprisingly easy. I used to have Frontier service at my house and still had a router from them from my previous venture with them, so we were able to use that to have me online within about 6 hours of calling to have service set up. Service was wonderful for the first week, plugging along at speeds that honestly surprised me. It was only about 3.5 mbps, which was only half of their advertised 7 mbps, but with the "up to" they had thrown in the advertising, I wasn't going to complain. The only complaint I have about setup is that their website said that we could get business-class internet, but when we called to have it set up, we were told we could not. This wouldn't be an issue, except I do business that requires me to have a static IP. I've thankfully found ways around this for now, but we'll see how long that lasts.

Speeds were fairly consistent that first week, then service started to become patchy, and, at times, non-existant. We'd call customer service, they'd have us go through the process of resetting the router, running speed tests, etc., to no avail. Got really frustrating when we told them up front it was a neighborhood-wide outage. We'd even have a couple of the neighbors on the line for conference calls all saying here's the account numbers, none of us have service, please fix it. They didn't care.

Customer service phone calls to Frontier are dreaded at my house because the reps are almost always very snotty, disrespectful, not knowledgeable about anything to do with internet (they're obviously following scripts and have no clue how to think outside the box), and unhappy. There have been a few nice, upbeat, knowledgeable people, but they are few and far between. I can't complain about the techs who actually come out to fix line issues and whatnot in person, either. They're always friendly. But I dread calling the call center. Since we only have DSL and not phone service through them, they get uppity when we tell them that we don't know our phone number. Sorry but I'm not paying for extra services when you can't even begin to maintain the only one I have. They treat me like I'm stupid for not knowing the phone number, but technically, the only phone numbers I have are cell phone numbers, which wouldn't help them at all since they're in no way tied to the DSL account, other than as contact numbers.

In north-central West Virginia, Frontier apparently received a grant to alleviate bottlenecking. That was a couple of months ago, and the service is less reliable now than it was then. We've been told that our internet connection isn't functioning properly due to any number of things: a micro-tear in the fiber that is only affected during cold weather, oops that micro-tear affects the connection all the time, the internet halfways across the state is down due to a known issue (which they won't tell us what said issue is) and is causing issues in your area, the internet halfways across the country is down due to known issues and is causing issues in your area, there's static on your line, etc. They have literally used every excuse in the book instead of admitting that they're the ones at fault.

UPDATE 6/4/2014:

Speeds are getting slower and slower. There are numerous days where I'm getting 80% packet loss for hours at a time, if the internet is even running. Worst part is, if I call to have them send out a tech, they say that they can't put in a new ticket because of a common cause ticket that's been open since the middle of March. Yep, a ticket that's almost 3 months old is STILL open and unresolved.

My workplace put in a new contract to get the new fiber optic option that they are supposedly offering back in February, and they're already paying for it. I'm lucky if I can get a speed of 1 Mbps out of the network as is, and they have no ETA on the upgrade, yet it's already being paid for.

I can't watch Netflix, so I'm about to unsubscribe to that. Youtube videos are impossible to watch. Heck, even loading basic, mostly text webpages is nigh impossible.

I haven't mentioned the fact that I'm an avid online gamer, so I've got two MMORPGs that I'm still paying for subscriptions for just for the couple of hours I MIGHT be able to play in the morning, when I usually sleep since I work midnights. If I could get Frontier to pay me for my subscriptions I can't use, they'd be paying me more than I pay them right now.

Let's not forget the fact that my daughter has online homework that she has to do for school that she rarely can get done. Her school got a grant for an awesome website for kids to learn with, and none of them can utilize it at home because of the subpar internet. The teachers are all livid about this, because that was money they worked hard to get for the school, and now they feel like they've wasted it on something that none of their students can utilize. Let's not forget that I can't even access class letters from the teacher or grades online, like the state requires now. Thank goodness the teachers kind of gave up on that and still send stuff home cause they know how bad our internet is.

Wish that we didn't live in a rather poor area, cause if we didn't, I'm sure that Frontier would have a class-action suit against them over this idiocy.

So sick of this sub-par service, but we have no other choice. Although, I must add, it's pretty sad when my regular data connection (not even 3/4G, think it's considered 1G at best?) on my cell phone provides faster service than this crap they call "high speed" internet.

Ratings updated to include the fact that they're supposedly upgrading the lines, but there only seems to have been a downgrade.

Update 7/8/2014

So internet began randomly dropping a little over a week ago. Called tech support and they tried to give us a runaround about talking to a supervisor. Sorry, we called in three times prior that day with the internet dropping randomly only to be told that there was nothing they could do since it was back up and running when we called. Well, yeah, given that it'd go out for about 5 minutes and then be right back up, till we waited on hold, it was too late. So they promised us that there would be someone out last Thursday (July 3) at the latest. Call was made last Monday (June 30).

Took them a week to get a tech out here when they said it would take three days. Given that they only have two techs and one of them was on vacation in this area, I think that customer service should have been able to have seen the backlog and told us a more accurate date to expect a tech.

So the tech came out, fixed the issue (had a bad module where the line comes in), and things are working better now than they were.

Got info from the tech: the promised upgrade for my area doesn't even have an ETR right now. At least the next closest hub is getting an upgrade to be able to have up to 24 Mbps. Sadly, people off our hub can't get provisioned for higher than between 3 & 4 Mbps (of the 7 we're paying for, mind you) due to a bottleneck at the central office. No surprise there. But we are supposed to be getting an upgrade soon, but who knows how long that "soon" will take.

But as usual, the tech was awesome, as compared to everyone else that I've ever dealt with when I've called. Seems like my local techs are the only ones who care about customers.

Comments:
ZSwiftmend

join:2013-05-05
Morgantown, WV

Frontier is bad!!!

I agree! I also live in a rural area outside of Morgantown, and have the same issues and concerns. They have never provided the service they promised, but they have always taken our money. Never once have they reduced my bill because of outages (which happen all the time). In my opinion, they dont care about thier customers. Our local service technicians worked like crazy to make it the best they can, but they cannot fix the infrastructure. Frontier has to provide the resources to upgrade the infrastructure in our areas....which they don't appear to be willing to do. You can find the article on DSLR about WV having to give back a couple million dollars because they did not do what was required to set up their contracts for updating the infrastructure in rural areas. All of it is unacceptable.

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
·HughesNet Satell..

Re: Frontier is bad!!!

Everyones experience is different, depends on where you live. I know of someone now that hates cable and loves DSL much better. I know of someone who loves satellite connection and hates DSL and cable/Fios. So it just depends on where you live and what type of user you are.

Our state made a big mistake on buying all that fibre, indeed but we truely needed it cause some of us were on very expensive connection and in need of change bad but in the end we got better deal with better/reliable connection and some of us didn't improve all that much. If your in a very rural area, chances are your never gonna get good deals or very good connection at all, just crap while most of everyone else using that same service are enjoying it.

said by muffy1986:

the fiber that is only affected during cold weather

There is no doubt with this. The fibre should've been buried to help keep it from getting effected by the cold. I spoke face-to-face with a technician what it was and it indeed was the fibre getting effected, he didn't know how is what he also said.

said by muffy1986:

Recently, throughout the day, the connection is down to 0.05 mbps

How far are you behind a terminal? The main reason why I get good service from mine is because i am just 200 feet behind one and we're the first ones so we get the ultra for that reason.
I hope your reading this papap. You were as kind, sweet and easy going person I ever met.
You no longer have to suffer from all the pain you had when down here on earth.
I love you.

R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise 8/9/45-11/21/13

phoneman1

@50.43.129.x

Re: Frontier is bad!!!

Here the bottom line, frontier has grossly over sold there available band width, they will continually tell you they are upgrading there equipment in your area. this will not happen, I have heard this story for 18 months now, my biggest fear came true just after xmas. all the new xboxes, smart tv, hand held, lap tops, you know xmas gifts ate up what was left of the available band width.. Frontier claims know responsibility..they are not governed by the puco, so they don't give a shit. bottom line your screwed.. fight for rate reductions thats all they'll do..

Michelle101

@50.126.19.x

Internet

Absolutely terrible. Want to watch any type of video? Forget it. A 30 minute show will take up to 2 1/2 hrs to watch. You can't leave it to load and come back because it will be in the exact same. Games are impossible to play.
The phone and internet are constantly blacking out for DAYS at a time. If you get hold of repairs, it is never Frontiers fault. One time they blamed AT&T. Another time it was due to a lightning strike. Even though there had not been a storm for several month prior to the blackout.
Save your money, go else where rather then with Frontier.
benf25

join:2014-06-04
Plymouth, OH

frontier internet

I pay way too much money for 3mbps, it ended up being about $175/month. I would never even consider dealing with frontier again and would strongly advise that anyone who is thinking about getting this type of internet to STRONGLY think again!!!!!
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

You don't have access to Comcast??

You don't have access to Comcast??

»www.comcast.com/locations/intern···lls.html
ZSwiftmend

join:2013-05-05
Morgantown, WV

Re: You don't have access to Comcast??

No we do not. We had a cite survey done last month, and it is not available in our area. Comcast is all around us, but not in our little pocket of heaven...LOL

Review by icex See Profile

• Location: USA
  • Telco party Focal
Good "100x better than colane cable!"
Bad "Install date took awile"
Overall "Love it"

7/5/14

Time for a update I guess. Connection has been stable but lately have had some problems. Connection will drop for a couple of hours during the night at random times. Past 2 weeks the connection has been unusable, called frontier and the tech said that their logs showed my modem disconnected 400+ times in one day due to water damage. Tech never came out, just called and said he reprogrammed the connection on their end. It's been ok since, but the download speed is pretty slow, hovering around 2-3mb instead of 6.

I got Frontier business internet installed at my business, and I have to say it is much more reliable than my home internet. We've never had a problem with it except one outage which was a statewide outage.

7/20/13

I've had ups and downs lately with Frontier. It seems the service drops alot now adays, and stays down for 2-3 hours at a time sometimes.

I called and talked to a tech about the issue. He told me to plug my modem straight into my pc. When I informed him the modem was in bridge mode, he stated it would still work. I told him it would not because it goes through my linksys router. He got smart with me telling me I had no idea what I was doing and he has done this for years. I told him I've done it for years as well and know what I'm talking about. He creates a ticket and says it'll be installed the next week, and offers to sell me a bunch of bs.

The following Wensday it was fixed. Sometimes my speed goes down to 1-2mb and sometimes it'll still crash for hours, but not as bad as before.

I still recommend Frontier but expect to be treated with respect when I call their tech support.
-----------
*5/27/2012*
They upgraded me to 6mb. I have been getting around 5.5mbps steady. I love frontier (its alot better than colane cable!)

Ordered 3/26 and was given a install date of 4/9. Neighbor ordered 3/27 and got it 3/29. I waited paitently until the 5th and went to the Central office and asked why I hadent got mine installed yet. Next day they came and installed it.

I use to use colane cable, and had a 6mb package. I would only get 500k through the evenings with a ping of over 500. Horrible..

Anyway, Frontier was suppose to be 6mb but since they just installed the dslam it is currently 3mb and we are suppose to be updated to 6 by the end of the year

Overall im happy.

Comments:

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID

I love hearing peoples positive reviews I love it as well.

Review by co_elk See Profile

• Location: Effingham,Effingham,IL
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Not much :("
Bad "Real slow.. Very inconsistent speeds"

No competition in area.. They know that and are not improving there network!

Comments:

GERRY

@70.100.151.x

SERVICE

TERRIBLE SERVICE,BUT CONSISTANT......CONSISTANTLY TERRIBLE

stratoman

@166.182.3.x

Re: SERVICE

I hear ya man!!!.....NET went down last Friday night....still don't have it back and it's Tues evening now....told me a Tech will be out when one becomes available.....also told me that they don't prioritize home customers at all....just business ones....so if other service tickets of a higher priority are in the hopper, you are last on the pile and it could be whenever as home accounts just get pushed back.......sounds to me like I will get a Tech out if they have nothing really better to do.....what a great company!.......I wonder if that is the way the owners' HOME account is set up and if he waits till all the business tickets are serviced before they get to his issue? Gives me real confidence in his sincerity when he talks about how "customers are the top priority" & "they will do what ever it takes" to achieve a high level of customer satisfaction on the TV commercials......there is a bright spot however.....NO long term agreement locking me in.......so time to go shopping. Bottom line.....FRONTIER SUCKS REAL BAD at what they do. Best of luck to you. Jp

Review by glhamden See Profile

• Location: Lerona,Mercer,WV
Good "Avoid this company "
Bad "Avoid at all costs"
Overall "Avoid"

This company is only interested in money they do not care if you get what you paid for even with their terrible dsl they are constantly trying to up sell for more junk you do not need or want they will not stand be behind anything they sale you

Also note FCC is slowly becoming aware

Comments:
DeLiver
join:2004-09-01
Cincinnatus, NY

For the record...

"They have over sold their bandwidth in every market they serve and refuse to supply you with the bandwidth you purchased"

That is a complete lie. I am a customer that gets the bandwidth I purchased. Location is everything.

Review by Blackbird See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Service/repair response time"
Bad "Slowdowns/stoppages during peak hours"
Overall "Looking for alternatives, but very few economical choices available"

This service started out with Verizon several years ago (hence my installation reviews reflect Verizon's earlier stewardship), and was bought up several years ago by Frontier. DSL and POTS under Frontier started out on a par with the previous Verizon level, but about a year ago, notable deterioration of DSL download speeds began occurring at peak hours, at times bringing things to a complete halt for several minutes. Apparently, server and/or line capacity isn't keeping up with traffic levels, especially after 5pm until 11pm when a lot of users stream data or game. Also, there continue to be unrelated sporadic problems with POTS heavy line noise/static (caused by cracks in the aging copper) that interfere with the phone service, but not the DSL running at a higher frequency. The copper lines to this area are old and poorly maintained .

The service still remains priced at $14.95/mo "for life," as originally contracted with Verizon.

member for 9.6 years, 3137 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by EdmondsFios See Profile

• Location: Edmonds,Snohomish,WA

I have the Frontier Fios Extreme Triple Play package with all Premium Channels. There are 44 premium channels in HD. The total cost for internet, phone with unlimited calling, and the TV package is $203 but approximately $40 of that is for premium channels.

I have had the service under Frontier's ownership since July 2010. It has been the best triple play package I have ever had and I have tried both satellite and Comcast during the last ten years. The quality of the service is a 10 and the picture on the TV is perfect all the time.

I have a Motorola 7216 and two Tivo's and all have operated without any problems. If you live in an area that can get Frontier Fios, I would highly recommend it. I have never had Frontier's dsl service and have no comment to make on it.

My internet service has been bullet proof and I have had no downtime or congestion issues. The service was originally installed by Verizon in October of 2008 and has been basically perfect since inception. I love the Frontier Fios service. If I have to ever go back to Comcast, I will go to antenna OTA or move.

member for 3.9 years, 706 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by Hank See Profile

• Location: Burlington,Mineral,WV
Good "With exceptions - see below."
Overall "Reliability is mediocure."

I have the DSLMax with a second connect. Telephone service is included on both lines. Modems supplied by Frontier are Westel 7500 and Netgear 7550. These modems are low end consumer grade. Because I live in a very rural area I do not expect any upgrades beyond what is currently available. Although reliability has improved over the last couple years it is still below industry standards. Dealing with the Customer Service Rep's is always a mistake. They do not listen to what the customer is saying. They have the mindset that customers are dumb and have absolutely no understanding of how the system works. Often they say the first dumb thing that pops into their head. Being acquainted with the local management team is a big plus. They will do their best to make sure that problems are addressed. Unfortunately they also must deal with Frontier Corp. management and are often as frustrated as the consumer is.

member for 12.2 years, 6154 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by William See Profile

• Location: Washougal,Clark,WA
Good "-"
Bad "-"
Overall "-"

·Canvas Dreams

Comments:

Scott M tech

@50.121.70.x

Frontier services

Hello,
I'm actually a technician with frontiers regular high speed internet help desk. Definitely consider giving frontier a call about the issues you're having, all of our 100 percent US based work force would be happy to assist you in trouble shooting your problem.

Thanks,
Scott M
burnside

join:2012-06-19

Frontier DSL Port Availability

I am building a house in the Washougal area by the Washougal River. I have spoke to a few technicians and see that there are no more available DSL ports. The neighbors I am building by all have DSL with Frontier. Am I doomed never to get a port unless one day someone drops Frontier???

Thanks,
b

John tan

@mycingular.net

Bad

Frontier is bad!! I hate it I'm switching

Mark Mywords

@untd.com

The Frontier dsl Port Unavailability Excuse

Frontier customer service is so consistently inconsistent that it's hard to believe it's not part of a plot. Rumor has it that Frontier is an agent of the liberal agenda working to frustrate and deny hi-speed access to political adversaries/conservatives.

Review by RogueJawa See Profile

• Location: Lucasville,Scioto,OH
Good "Field techs are great, social Media Team very helpful"
Bad "National customer service, doesn't communicate problems well, initially bundled with Dish and that order was wrong"
Overall "Extreme patience and persistence required, only provider in the area, slow speed but better than dialup"

·WOW Internet and..
Back in July of 2013 I made the decision to move from the big city back to rural Ohio. Frontier is the phone and internet provider for the area which isn't serviced by a cable company because they say there are too few customers on the road to justify running cable there. I didn't really foresee it being a problem because my mother and a cousin that live on the same road have DSL from Frontier and don't have any issues.

Apparently I'm not that lucky.

So with some optimism I called Frontier to establish service. The lady I spoke to seemed nice and took all of my information. I decided to go ahead and get Dish Network since that's what they bundle with and get their DSL; I have enough bars on my cell phone to make calls so I really didn't want to get their home phone. After a few moments of small talk, because the rep was actually IN my area (which led me to feel even more optimistic), she informs me that my address isn't eligible for DSL service because it's too far away from the office. I asked her where the office was and she told me it was in Portsmouth. After a few minutes of explaining I get her to understand that there are two homes further away from the office than mine that have DSL from Frontier. She then explains that maybe her system just isn't up to date and she goes ahead and processes the order, setting me up with my satellite install and a self-install for my DSL.

A few days later I get a call from a Frontier rep that went to voicemail. She explained that they had to change my service date and asked me to give them a call. I promptly called back and the lady I spoke to confirmed my order, except she had me down for basic phone service and satellite TV. We went through the whole thing again, complete with her verifying the DSL service at a residence further from the office than mine, and she set me back up and made sure my modem was going to ship.

Curious, I called Dish to confirm my installation and it turns out it was all screwed up too. No DVR had been ordered, I had the wrong package, everything. So I fixed that order and crossed my fingers.

The 23rd rolls around and I call to find out when I should plug in the modem and test the connection. The rep told me to wait until 6:00 pm which is how late the techs are usually out. So at 6:30 I hook up the modem and.. nothing. No solid DSL light, just a blinking one. I call them back and they tell me the tech came and said I lived too far away. I asked them how it was possible that two other homes could have service and were further away from the office but mine can't. The rep told me they couldn't answer that and referred me to a supervisor, Michelle, from "Escalations." She said she'd contact engineering and call me back the next day.

I never got a call back from her. I waited a couple of days and called Frontier again. This time I was told they were going to groom the lines and I would get a call from the local manager on when I should expect service. I never got that call either. I waited several more days, called back on a Friday, and this time I got a guy who contacted their dispatch for me and told me they estimated it would be about a week. Ten days later I still don't have service so I call back and get told that they're going to groom the lines the next day, add an extender, that a tech would be out and I should be good to go.

Ha.

I never saw a tech before I had to leave for work. I called Frontier again to see if everything was still going to go as planned. I was told the tech was out in the field but they left a message with my phone number and asked the tech to call me when they were hooking the line up and tell me how things went. I never got that call either.

I'm so tired of dealing with Frontier at this point that I don't even know if I really care anymore. Despite that feeling I called back again today and was given to a supervisor who told me she was going to get me a technical supervisor and get me some kind of answer. Really at this point that's all I want. I'm on the verge of getting satellite internet because this is just ridiculous. Even with a cap and the horrible customer service satellite supposedly has it can't be worse than what I've put up with from Frontier. At this point even if they put their foot down and tell me I can't have service and I have to send the modem back I just want an answer on why.

Maybe I'm being unreasonable but it just doesn't seem logical to me that two homes further away from the office than I am have DSL but I'm not eligible. It makes ZERO SENSE.

I want to have hope that this supervisor will get me a resolution but I'm running pretty low on hope at the moment. Right now I would tell anyone thinking of getting service from Frontier to stay away from it unless they had no other option.

UPDATE 08/28/13: The supervisor, Nicky, from Washington has still never called me back. I've left multiple messages asking for an update and still nothing. However, as I was leaving for work today lo and behold there was a Frontier van sitting in my yard and a gentleman working on the line. He told me that he couldn't sync from the line itself and he suspected an old coil somewhere was interfering with the signal. He said he had spoken to the guy who did the DSL upgrade for my road and that there was no reason every house on it couldn't have DSL.

Which.. is what I've been saying all along. But it's nice to know that their technicians aren't just a myth fabricated by the worst customer service center I have ever dealt with. Only one CSR has given me real answers and the rest never call back when they say they're going to; including their supervisors. So I guess I'll wait a little bit longer before calling the local satellite company to have Exede installed so I can see how this will play out.

UPDATE 08/30/13: I received a voicemail from Frontier yesterday saying engineering had my service ready to go and that they would send me a modem. I found this interesting because I already have a modem. Out of curiosity I checked it and sure enough, still not synced. I called tech support to see if it was because they said they were sending a new modem or because of some other problem but they said the work order was still open. Needless to say I got transferred to customer service again who to,d me I lived too far out. I told her what the tech told me about the coils and she said "Oh yeah, old coils will block a DSL signal." And then she gave me a service date of October 2nd to get the work done.

Original service date? July 23rd.

Satellite is seriously looking more attractive by the day.

UPDATE 9/10/13: I spoke with Frontier again today, got a pretty nice guy who didn't read from a script and give me a response based on the first note for my order like most of the people I talk to do. He put me on hold for quite a while and kept apologizing for it but I told him it was no big deal. Honestly it isn't, not if you're genuinely trying to help me, which he was. When he came back to the line he told me that a tech had noted on 8/24 that I lived 25,500 feet away from the node, but that the local engineer went out to check and said they were wrong and that I only lived 13,000 feet away from the node. He also was supposed to have taken care of all the technical issues blocking service, but because our area is backed up it will be 10/2 before they can hook everything up.

So unless something changes my next update will be in October.. and hopefully I'll be able to give them a higher score.

UPDATE 10/04/13: Nope. Still no DSL. Now I'm dealing with the social media team after complaining on Facebook and Twitter. My new service date is 10/8 and supposedly all they have to do is hook up the outside wiring. We'll see. Next stop is the state attorney general. This review is turning into a blog with all the updates. I also revised the monthly price to show only the price do the DSL and not the combo with Dish. Also lowered the install coordination rating to reflect yet another missed install date and the fact it took me half a day of phone calls and social media complaints to get an answer on a new service date. RR on the social media team was polite and helpful at least.

UPDATE 10/10/13: Finally, some good news to share. Going the social media route and working with their Social Media Team has paid off, also a nice lady named Dawn from Customer Service who followed up with me this evening. A field tech came out yesterday morning and completed the outside wiring. I spoke with him before he left and he said I was good to go, that he'd been able to synch from the outside wiring and I had a DSL signal. Unfortunately I tried both modems and neither one will synch up. I spoke with Tech Support, Social Media, and Dawn from Customer Service and they are sending a tech back out tomorrow to inspect the inside wiring. I told them if they needed to, and if it would help, I would happily pay for the install of a new jack.

I've updated what ratings above that I can, and hopefully tomorrow I can update this from home to reflect fully working service inside the house.

UPDATE 10/12/13: My service was finally established on 10/12 and the tech who came out was amazing. Nicest guy in the world, really, and he took the time to make sure everything was working and connected before he left even though it was originally a self install. I'm very pleased with the local staff. The national staff, with the exception of Dawn (wherever you are) and Ree from Social Media, leave much to be desired. I appreciate all of Ree's work in coordinating with the local staff to keep me updated and Dawn from Customer Service who did follow my account after we spoke and called to see if there was anything she could do to help.

The service for the last 24 hours has been pretty reliable. I'm running the Frontier branded Netgear 7550. It kept hanging on one of the setup steps initially but the tech was able to resolve that issue and had it up and running, altogether I don't think he was there for more than 15 minutes, maybe 20 at the most. He was very professional and I appreciated that. As far as value for money.. well that's kind of subjective. It's nothing like the cable connection I had at my old place but the road I live on doesn't have enough subscribers to interest Time Warner so they never ran cable there. Before Frontier took over it was a Verizon area and they hadn't even established DSL service this far out. So it IS slow and I'm paying roughly $30 for speed I can't achieve, but it's faster than dialup and cheaper than capped satellite services.

Exede is not an option without topping some trees. I don't know about HughesNet, I never looked into them because I've heard they're the worst satellite provider there is. Verizon is the only reliable cell provider that reaches the valley I'm in and I wasn't prepared to pay the premiums they ask each month. Speed is pretty much around what I expected for the area. To me slow DSL, roughly 700Kbps to 1Mb, is better than no service at all or dialup in the area that I'm in so .. value for money is pretty good, at least for me. For someone else it might not be worth it, and if I'm lucky they'll keep upgrading and it will get better. Frontier crews are around all the time, I assume updating Verizon's antiquated network. Before I moved out of the county originally I lived in the biggest city the county sports and Verizon only had DSL service established within a few streets of their offices so I'd say Frontier has made leaps and bounds toward expanding that. They advertise up to 6Mb/s but I knew there was no way I was getting close to that.

Oh, and I still have two modems. The tech didn't seem interested in taking the other one with him so I guess I have a spare in case something happens to one of them. This is a change because most places are very adamant about getting equipment back.

Pros:

- Despite the speed I was able to update Steam and download some game files.

- iPhone and iPad are able to update reliably.

- DVR has a connection to the outside world and now allows for scheduling away from home, can order PPV, haven't tried any OnDemand services but the informational apps work fine.

- Not dialup.

Cons:

- It IS slow.. but this is subjective.

- Does not handle multitasking well.

Verdict: Better than having nothing at all or having dialup.

UPDATE 11/03: About three days after the install I began to notice the modem losing sync a few times between noon and about 7:00 pm. I attributed this to network congestion, but after a few more days the modem was losing sync quite a bit more often; seemed like it would drop every ten to fifteen minutes and my speeds were basically dial-up equivalent.

I sent an email to the general manger for my area and he said he would look into it. We discussed a similar problem my mother's modem had experienced and what the tech had suggested to fix it, I told him what my speeds were at install and what they were at now. I noticed a change the next day and in two days everything seemed to be back to normal. I've had no other issues and fairly consistent speeds at the rate that I expected for being so remote.

I've also been told I'm getting two months free for all of the install issues! It's not FiOS or cable and I can't really do streaming which would be a dealbreaker for some, but I'm able to waste my time in Final Fantasy XIV: ARR and that makes me a happy subscriber!

UPDATE 02/13/14: Credits were given as promised, but to this day I've never received a follow up from the general manager. There are still days where the service is impossible to use because the modem loses sync every 15-20 minutes. I can tell you that the initial elation I felt at finally having working service has since worn off. I'm not even going to bother trying tech support given their past performance. In late Summer/Fall of 2014 I plan on moving back to the city and the area I'm moving to is serviced by WOW. I'm looking forward to canceling Frontier and getting my cable service back. Unless something major happens I doubt I will update this listing until I terminate service.

UPDATE 05/17/14: Terminated service on the 15th. Trying to charge me $10 to disconnect the account which hasn't worked in a month anyway. Up yours Frontier. Good riddance.

member for 1 year, 28 visits, last login: 44 days ago

Comments:
DeLiver
join:2004-09-01
Cincinnatus, NY

A quick question...

If your Frontier experience had exceeded your expectations, would you have contributed a similarly long and helpful review?

I doubt it.

Re: A quick question...

Actually as soon as I receive my refund check from Wide Open West after they log my equipment returned I was going to post a review on them, because I loved their service and wish they offered service where I am now.

My turn.

Did you have a point to make or do you just like to hear yourself talk?

I doubt it. I'm betting you like to hear yourself talk. Perhaps, given your own "review", you just don't like seeing people give a negative recount of their experience with your friends? Just because you have "connections" at Frontier and like their service doesn't make my negative review any less valid, or take away my right to post it if I wish.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
·SureWest Internet

said by DeLiver:

I doubt it.

I doubt it also. Not for the same snarky reason as you posted though. Reason I doubt it is that there is rarely any good experience regarding Frontier.

Sarick
It's Only Logical
join:2003-06-03
USA
·Frontier Communi..
After seeing your review from a different region I question the motivations behind your comment.

»Review of Frontier Communications by DeLiver
Sarick's Dungeon Clipart

Joe Dirt

@frontiernet.net

Frontier

I don't have any issues with Frontier. techs are nice and do what they can. I know that they are working on some congestion issues. I know that things seem to get worse but I have seen some speed bumps here in MN in some of their exchanges. They are more reliable than the cable copmany in my area which is Mediacom.

Re: Frontier

That's great for MN, but not so much here in Ohio.
iowaboy
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA
·Windstream
·WildBlue

Re: Frontier

I don't know what the problem is with the review. It is just an honest post of what has happened so far. It reminds me of another national company who has lots of issues also and not providing what it should be. I do hope they finally get your DSL installed and working. I haven't updated my review on my phone company DSL experiences yet but will soon as I am having issues of a bad line that they seem to not want to fix.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Re: Frontier

There is no problem with the review. However, the review really comes down to the OP insisting on having the service installed after the OP was told the service would not work. Now, months later, guess what? The service doesn't work. IMHO its BS to post a bad review when there was obviously a reason way back at the first phone call the OP was told he/she was not eligible for service.

Re: Frontier

IMHO it's BS to reply to a review without fully reading it. If you had you would see that two houses further away than mine have DSL and that they essentially are the end of the line. You would also see the section where the field tech discussed that the entire road had been upgraded for DSL. You would also see that the engineer measured and said I wasn't too far out and did qualify for service, hence why they did the upgrade two years ago. Hence the first person you think I should have listened to was WRONG.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Re: Frontier

Yet here you are with no DSL. I read your review. I also know that the telephone lines don't always run in the direction you think. You have conflicting reports from different people. You don't have DSL and your review doesn't really provide any useful information other than you were advised you can't get DSL and guess what? You can't get DSL.

Re: Frontier

I'm pretty sure when the line doesn't go past the last pole that I know what direction it's coming from. And if you'd really read it you'd know that the engineer says I CAN because it was mismeasured and that one of the technicians who came out said they had spoken with the guy who did the DSL upgrade for the entire road.

Should I say it slower?

Engineering said the entire road was upgraded for DSL service.

Therefore, Customer Service was initially wrong.

Oh, and per the latest update.. I have a DSL signal at the NID now. So technically I have DSL, there's just a break somewhere between the NID and the jack.
rody_44
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 recommendation

I have comcast and live in a verizon area. I think what he is trying to tell you that just because the two houses are further from you doesnt mean your line is shorter. That is indeed a true statement. It may not make sense to you but that is the way it is. It doesnt really matter why they do it that way the fact is its not rare at all no matter what phone company it is. You have to remember when phone lines were ran dsl wasnt even around. I was in the exact same boat with verizon until they ran fiber. people further away could get it and i couldnt. Came down to even tho we share the road we didnt share the same route.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

But like I said. One of the techs was on the phone with a local engineer who PERFORMED the upgrade for the entire road. All of the lines were updated. Every house qualifies for service, and NOW if I go to their website and input my address it allows for ordering. It didn't before.

Like I said, the initial person I spoke to was wrong.
slopoke

join:2012-05-20
London, OH

Re: Frontier

Well glad I stopped by today my fellow buckeye and Frontier customer. I found it entertaining. Sounds like you might have had a wire issue from the first modem. Any way we got Frontier after Verizon packed up. Truthfully things been better in the long run. Up here the service is just groovy. Hasn't been down for over a year and a half. Even then some dummy took out a pole up town. Frontier had the service back before the electric company. We have congestion issues when the kids on-line after school so I do my dirty work in the day time or middle of the nite. (download a lot of Linux) You next challenge is are you getting the speed you ordered. If not don't bother with the Tech line. Get your road boss to come out and have you provisioned to your full speed. They can do it, you can't on the phone. Just saying in case. Frontier does great if the infastructure (sp) is up to snuff. They have been updating here and it just keeps getting better. Good luck.
Just Me and My Acer. And a bag of chips.

Re: Frontier

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping.

If I'm lucky they'll have the inside wiring fixed tomorrow and I'll be good to go. The tech told me on Wednesday he had a DSL signal at the NID, so the problem has to be between there and the jack. What are the chances two modems are bad?

I work in Columbus and they have been doing a ton of work between Portsmouth and Circleville, you see them out all the time, so I assume they're doing upgrades. Verizon had a horrible infrastructure here.

I know how the first portion of my review comes across, but I am genuinely grateful for the work they've been doing and that someone somewhere has been trying to figure out what's blocking my signal and resolved that issue. Now if they can just figure out what's wrong between the NID and the jack I should be fine. According to the Technical Supervisor and General Manager for my area I should have service, it has to be the inside wiring now.

Review by timkedojeh See Profile

• Location: Olney,Richland,IL
Good "Decent speeds, if you can get them"
Bad "Extreme congestion and terrible reps"
Overall "If Frontier's your only choice, move."

We've had Frontier service since the lines were Verizon. Back then, things were good; out in the middle of nowhere, you can't expect much. The moment Frontier took over, things starting going downhill. First came the congestion as they added more customers to already-saturated areas, then the price hikes.

The beginning of the end was three days ago. We scheduled to have our home phone disconnected (since everyone has a cell phone). Since the phone was turned off, our speeds have been atrocious. I finally decided to check the transceiver statistics and, huh, our previously provisioned 3Mbps line was now reading 1.5Mbps (1792). Plenty of margin to spare, so it obviously wasn't a line issue.

I called support and asked them what was up. They tried to convince me that the most I could've ever been provisioned for was 1.5, I never had 3, and that the entire area was restricted to 1.5. (Huh, so what was with those sales you guys did as soon as you took over, advertising 7.1? And you provided people with 7.1, I was in people's houses who have 7.1.)

It's obvious that Frontier is over-saturated to the point where new customers are being held back to the bare minimums to maintain network quality for everyone else. It's a slap in the face that they're doing it to established customers as well when we change services. The fact that the rep had the balls to lie to me was the last straw.

In the morning, I'm calling NewWave, I'm getting a RG6 cable buried down the 400ft driveway, and I'm saying goodbye and good riddance to Frontier forever. Never again!

Comments:
Makasinsoul

join:2014-05-19

You ain't joking

I 100 percent agree, if you can only get frontier run as far away as you can. This is a cash grab company. That preys on area that have no competition. When wireless goes unlimited they will just go bankrupt and go out of business.