Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by rustyone See Profile

• Location: Chesterton,Porter,IN
  • Telco party Florida Digital Network
Good "Turnaround situation, abysmal => good. S/W settings internal to Frontier changed. "
Bad "Prob corrected.Too $$ & sloooow.Conn used to be exc;last 2 mnths,frTech support friendly, short wait,but probs persist.eq drops."
Overall "Now satisfactory <= Abysmal overpromised service; techs say all is well w equip, just overloaded, no improvements in sight."

Frontier DSL Premium 3 to 5 Mb, Chesterton, Indiana 46304

UPDATED 24-Feb-14:
Ready to fire Frontier Jan-14, but I submitted a Hail Mary complaint that pushed the right button. As a prior Verizon DSL account holder who was rolled over to a Frontier DSL account, sometime apparently in late 2013 my account was relegated to a non-Frontier account so that anytime a recognized Frontier user had a data request, Frontier took care of that first and mine only after all other Frontier requests had been serviced. This meant in peak hours of internet usage, I got nearly zero data. An ace Frontier service tech spotted the problem with my vestige/ legacy account, changed it to a normal Frontier account, and voila', the slowest observed service improved to approx 3.1/ 0.45 Mbps, and non-peak hours speeds often hit 6.0/ 0.78 Mbps. Streaming from a nearby radio station is now rarely broken. WHAT A TURNAROUND! I am now much happier.

The Frontier also replaced a relatively new Actiontec GT784WN I had with their own Netgear B90-755044-15. The Netgear modem connects to all my computers and printers whereas the Actiontec had a number of connectivity issues, but the Actiontec could block websites and log traffic that I do not believe the Netgear can do.

Tech Support and Services would have been even higher had the reported issues not taken two months and hours and hours of my time to resolve.

******************************************

Frontier/ Verizon user since 2006.

Verizon in 2006 charged an extra ~$12/ mo to upgrade to 3 to 5 Mbps. Price then, for DSL dryline, (no telephone), was about $35/ mo incl taxes. Speedtests then yielded 3.1/ 0.78 Mbps max and fairly consistent regardless of the time of day.

Frontier acquired the local Verizon DSL and telephone service several years ago and speedtests yielded results similar to Verizon until ~early 2012. Since then the fastest download seemed to be capped at 2.8 Mbps even at 0200 or 0300. Connections were consistent. Tech support was quick to answer and easy to understand, but on a couple of occasions when the service noticeably slowed, Frontier said all was okay and everything checked okay. A couple of days later, after nearly unusable service, it found a problem with its local server; I was told a local server card changeout was made and service returned to normal.

Frontier now tells me DSL Premium is not 3 to 5 Mbps, but rather, 1 to 6 Mbps and upped the "fixed price contract" $5/mo, but gave one month credit when it did that. Devolution comes to mind.

Since perhaps Nov-13, service has really slowed. The max download speed has remained at 2.8 Mbps/ upload at 0.78 Mbps in the wee hours, but frequently fell below 1.5 Mbps down between 1400 and 2330.

Over the last several months, streaming WVPE.org from South Bend would be lost within 10 minutes; now WBEZ.org from Chicago is being lost every 4 or 5 minutes, and the download speed, when the speedtest goes to completion, shows around 0.16 Mbps, while the upload speed generally makes the fairly consisten 0.78 Mbps.

A local tech verified the signal down and up are quite good, and a new modem yielded the same speedtest results.

Frontier's tech people, local and office, are friendly and easy to understand, but the bottom line speed and consistency of connection are really, really lacking.

For this I have been paying for Frontier's so-called DSL Premium service of $40/ mo incl taxes. This month it is making an adjustment, but when the ISP connection is frequently dropped and the download speed drops below 0.1 Mbps at times, even free service would be too expensive. When obvious problems go on for months and seem to be worsening, it's time for a change. The biggest problem with that is Comcast is the local alternative, and my past experience in 2006 with it was pretty miserable, (like a 300 baud rate between 1500 and 2330 everyday that went on for weeks and literally cost me dearly).

Something I find curious: Speedtest comparisons. Running speedtest.frontier.com just about always yields speeds of 2.5 to 2.8 Mbps down, 0.68 Mbps up, except when Frontier really messes up, (and that has been frequently recently), when the speeds dip to 1 to 2 Mbps down/ 0.5 Mbps up. Running DSLReports.com and speakeasy.net/speedtest give about the same results as each other, and seem to reflect my actual download perception of speed, will max at 2.8 down/ 0.78 up Mbps, but drop to less than 0.1 down/ 0.5 up Mbps when the service is lousy. In other words, when the world is rosy, speedtest.frontier.com and DSLReports.com give similar results, but when the service slows, speedtest.frontier.com usually continues to show good speed, while DSLReports.com shows lousy download speed.

If I did not know better, I would say Frontier and Comcast have worked out a deal limiting competition between the two. Neither have upgraded infrastructure nor speed and their prices continue to be high

11-Jan-2014 18:33 flash speedtest 186 Kbps 686 Kbps This is typical for DSLReports speedtest results run in the evening over the last couple of weeks.
*********************************
UPDATED ADDITIONAL DATA

Sun, 12-Jan-14: 50.104.85.101
DSLReports @ 04:30: something like 2.6/ 0.70
Started slowing around 10:00. Quite slow, like 50k/ 680k starting 1900. Even slower btwn 1900 & 2300. Most speedtest do not complete even after waiting 10 minutes.

speedtest.Frontier increased fr not completing, to 0.37. 0.47 @ 23:01. Seems the speed increased significantly at 2300.
speedtest.frontier increased to 1.47/ 0.63 @ 2309.
speedtest.frontier 2.70/ 0.65 @ 2340; dslreports 0.28/ 0.68 @ 2344

speedtest.frontier 0.18/ 0.50 @ 1844; dslreports DNF; 0.28/ 0.65 @ 1848
speedtest.frontier 0.60/ 0.64 @ 1903; dslreports 0.53/ 0.71 @ 1858

14-Jan-14
speedtest.frontier 3.09/ 0.68 @ 0016; dslreports 2.63/ 0.62 @ 0017
speedtest.frontier 3.50/ 0.67 @ 0519; dslreports 2.68/ 0.71 @ 0524 Probs speedtest.front,
1st 3 test timed out.

speedtest.frontier 0.24/ 0.46 @ 1850; dslreports 0.17/ 0.78 @ 1853
ping to rochester: 247 ms, parsippany: 275 ms
speedtest.frontier 0.10/ 0.61 @ 1906; dslreports 0.18/ 0.42 @ 1912
ping to rochester: 178 ms, parsippany: 131 ms
speedtest.frontier nr/ nr @ 1942; dslreports 1836; dslreports 0.09/ 0.69 @ 1836=> 1843
ping to rochester: 69 ms, parsippany: 42 ms. speedtest took a minute just to connect
with its web page, and req 5 times to get any results, and the upload never completed
after 6 minutes; dslreports timed out/ connection lost 10 times before 1 test completed.

At 1745, it took 2 minutes just to connect to my bank's secure web page. I am giving up using Frontier and the Internet for anything between 1800 and 2300 because it is so slow and lost connections. Forget bidding on any auctions closing during this time and just use email at some other time.

Would it not be poetic justice if Frontier Communications corporate officers Maggie Wilderotter and Daniel McCarthy were forced to use this same service? Or maybe suing them personally for breach of contract and wanton negligence?

Comments:

Review by William See Profile

• Location: Washougal,Clark,WA
Good "No complaints, except mail"
Bad "Mail service not all that good"
Overall "Fast and reliable"

·Canvas Dreams
02-15-14, been almost 2 years now, quite happy still, though wish mail would work better. Frontier Yahoo mail is a flake of a service. So I rely on my website email.

As an satellite user, was quite skeptical about Frontier was even really available here, my location is over 10 miles from the nearest town, there is a remote terminal about 2 miles down the road. Had Frontier DSL since 02-23-12 and took about a week for the install, using the Westell 7500 modem/router, all in all quite happy with the service.

Started with 3 Mbps down and 768K up, see speeds of ~ 3 Mbps down and ~ 1 Mbps up, don't recall exact date upload speed increased to 1 Mbps from 768. Have yet to contact Frontier for support, been over a year now. Pings generally stay below 50 ms all hours of the day, do spike every now and then above 100 ms, higher pings really don't bother me, coming from satellite.

member for 4 years, 1536 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Scott M tech

@50.121.70.x

Frontier services

Hello,
I'm actually a technician with frontiers regular high speed internet help desk. Definitely consider giving frontier a call about the issues you're having, all of our 100 percent US based work force would be happy to assist you in trouble shooting your problem.

Thanks,
Scott M
burnside

join:2012-06-19

Frontier DSL Port Availability

I am building a house in the Washougal area by the Washougal River. I have spoke to a few technicians and see that there are no more available DSL ports. The neighbors I am building by all have DSL with Frontier. Am I doomed never to get a port unless one day someone drops Frontier???

Thanks,
b

John tan

@mycingular.net

Bad

Frontier is bad!! I hate it I'm switching

Mark Mywords

@untd.com

The Frontier dsl Port Unavailability Excuse

Frontier customer service is so consistently inconsistent that it's hard to believe it's not part of a plot. Rumor has it that Frontier is an agent of the liberal agenda working to frustrate and deny hi-speed access to political adversaries/conservatives.

Review by jwhitaker148 See Profile

• Location: Lucasville,Scioto,OH
Good "Field techs are great, social Media Team very helpful"
Bad "National customer service, doesn't communicate problems well, initially bundled with Dish and that order was wrong"
Overall "Extreme patience and persistence required, only provider in the area, slow speed but better than dialup"

·WOW Internet and..
Back in July of 2013 I made the decision to move from the big city back to rural Ohio. Frontier is the phone and internet provider for the area which isn't serviced by a cable company because they say there are too few customers on the road to justify running cable there. I didn't really foresee it being a problem because my mother and a cousin that live on the same road have DSL from Frontier and don't have any issues.

Apparently I'm not that lucky.

So with some optimism I called Frontier to establish service. The lady I spoke to seemed nice and took all of my information. I decided to go ahead and get Dish Network since that's what they bundle with and get their DSL; I have enough bars on my cell phone to make calls so I really didn't want to get their home phone. After a few moments of small talk, because the rep was actually IN my area (which led me to feel even more optimistic), she informs me that my address isn't eligible for DSL service because it's too far away from the office. I asked her where the office was and she told me it was in Portsmouth. After a few minutes of explaining I get her to understand that there are two homes further away from the office than mine that have DSL from Frontier. She then explains that maybe her system just isn't up to date and she goes ahead and processes the order, setting me up with my satellite install and a self-install for my DSL.

A few days later I get a call from a Frontier rep that went to voicemail. She explained that they had to change my service date and asked me to give them a call. I promptly called back and the lady I spoke to confirmed my order, except she had me down for basic phone service and satellite TV. We went through the whole thing again, complete with her verifying the DSL service at a residence further from the office than mine, and she set me back up and made sure my modem was going to ship.

Curious, I called Dish to confirm my installation and it turns out it was all screwed up too. No DVR had been ordered, I had the wrong package, everything. So I fixed that order and crossed my fingers.

The 23rd rolls around and I call to find out when I should plug in the modem and test the connection. The rep told me to wait until 6:00 pm which is how late the techs are usually out. So at 6:30 I hook up the modem and.. nothing. No solid DSL light, just a blinking one. I call them back and they tell me the tech came and said I lived too far away. I asked them how it was possible that two other homes could have service and were further away from the office but mine can't. The rep told me they couldn't answer that and referred me to a supervisor, Michelle, from "Escalations." She said she'd contact engineering and call me back the next day.

I never got a call back from her. I waited a couple of days and called Frontier again. This time I was told they were going to groom the lines and I would get a call from the local manager on when I should expect service. I never got that call either. I waited several more days, called back on a Friday, and this time I got a guy who contacted their dispatch for me and told me they estimated it would be about a week. Ten days later I still don't have service so I call back and get told that they're going to groom the lines the next day, add an extender, that a tech would be out and I should be good to go.

Ha.

I never saw a tech before I had to leave for work. I called Frontier again to see if everything was still going to go as planned. I was told the tech was out in the field but they left a message with my phone number and asked the tech to call me when they were hooking the line up and tell me how things went. I never got that call either.

I'm so tired of dealing with Frontier at this point that I don't even know if I really care anymore. Despite that feeling I called back again today and was given to a supervisor who told me she was going to get me a technical supervisor and get me some kind of answer. Really at this point that's all I want. I'm on the verge of getting satellite internet because this is just ridiculous. Even with a cap and the horrible customer service satellite supposedly has it can't be worse than what I've put up with from Frontier. At this point even if they put their foot down and tell me I can't have service and I have to send the modem back I just want an answer on why.

Maybe I'm being unreasonable but it just doesn't seem logical to me that two homes further away from the office than I am have DSL but I'm not eligible. It makes ZERO SENSE.

I want to have hope that this supervisor will get me a resolution but I'm running pretty low on hope at the moment. Right now I would tell anyone thinking of getting service from Frontier to stay away from it unless they had no other option.

UPDATE 08/28/13: The supervisor, Nicky, from Washington has still never called me back. I've left multiple messages asking for an update and still nothing. However, as I was leaving for work today lo and behold there was a Frontier van sitting in my yard and a gentleman working on the line. He told me that he couldn't sync from the line itself and he suspected an old coil somewhere was interfering with the signal. He said he had spoken to the guy who did the DSL upgrade for my road and that there was no reason every house on it couldn't have DSL.

Which.. is what I've been saying all along. But it's nice to know that their technicians aren't just a myth fabricated by the worst customer service center I have ever dealt with. Only one CSR has given me real answers and the rest never call back when they say they're going to; including their supervisors. So I guess I'll wait a little bit longer before calling the local satellite company to have Exede installed so I can see how this will play out.

UPDATE 08/30/13: I received a voicemail from Frontier yesterday saying engineering had my service ready to go and that they would send me a modem. I found this interesting because I already have a modem. Out of curiosity I checked it and sure enough, still not synced. I called tech support to see if it was because they said they were sending a new modem or because of some other problem but they said the work order was still open. Needless to say I got transferred to customer service again who to,d me I lived too far out. I told her what the tech told me about the coils and she said "Oh yeah, old coils will block a DSL signal." And then she gave me a service date of October 2nd to get the work done.

Original service date? July 23rd.

Satellite is seriously looking more attractive by the day.

UPDATE 9/10/13: I spoke with Frontier again today, got a pretty nice guy who didn't read from a script and give me a response based on the first note for my order like most of the people I talk to do. He put me on hold for quite a while and kept apologizing for it but I told him it was no big deal. Honestly it isn't, not if you're genuinely trying to help me, which he was. When he came back to the line he told me that a tech had noted on 8/24 that I lived 25,500 feet away from the node, but that the local engineer went out to check and said they were wrong and that I only lived 13,000 feet away from the node. He also was supposed to have taken care of all the technical issues blocking service, but because our area is backed up it will be 10/2 before they can hook everything up.

So unless something changes my next update will be in October.. and hopefully I'll be able to give them a higher score.

UPDATE 10/04/13: Nope. Still no DSL. Now I'm dealing with the social media team after complaining on Facebook and Twitter. My new service date is 10/8 and supposedly all they have to do is hook up the outside wiring. We'll see. Next stop is the state attorney general. This review is turning into a blog with all the updates. I also revised the monthly price to show only the price do the DSL and not the combo with Dish. Also lowered the install coordination rating to reflect yet another missed install date and the fact it took me half a day of phone calls and social media complaints to get an answer on a new service date. RR on the social media team was polite and helpful at least.

UPDATE 10/10/13: Finally, some good news to share. Going the social media route and working with their Social Media Team has paid off, also a nice lady named Dawn from Customer Service who followed up with me this evening. A field tech came out yesterday morning and completed the outside wiring. I spoke with him before he left and he said I was good to go, that he'd been able to synch from the outside wiring and I had a DSL signal. Unfortunately I tried both modems and neither one will synch up. I spoke with Tech Support, Social Media, and Dawn from Customer Service and they are sending a tech back out tomorrow to inspect the inside wiring. I told them if they needed to, and if it would help, I would happily pay for the install of a new jack.

I've updated what ratings above that I can, and hopefully tomorrow I can update this from home to reflect fully working service inside the house.

UPDATE 10/12/13: My service was finally established on 10/12 and the tech who came out was amazing. Nicest guy in the world, really, and he took the time to make sure everything was working and connected before he left even though it was originally a self install. I'm very pleased with the local staff. The national staff, with the exception of Dawn (wherever you are) and Ree from Social Media, leave much to be desired. I appreciate all of Ree's work in coordinating with the local staff to keep me updated and Dawn from Customer Service who did follow my account after we spoke and called to see if there was anything she could do to help.

The service for the last 24 hours has been pretty reliable. I'm running the Frontier branded Netgear 7550. It kept hanging on one of the setup steps initially but the tech was able to resolve that issue and had it up and running, altogether I don't think he was there for more than 15 minutes, maybe 20 at the most. He was very professional and I appreciated that. As far as value for money.. well that's kind of subjective. It's nothing like the cable connection I had at my old place but the road I live on doesn't have enough subscribers to interest Time Warner so they never ran cable there. Before Frontier took over it was a Verizon area and they hadn't even established DSL service this far out. So it IS slow and I'm paying roughly $30 for speed I can't achieve, but it's faster than dialup and cheaper than capped satellite services.

Exede is not an option without topping some trees. I don't know about HughesNet, I never looked into them because I've heard they're the worst satellite provider there is. Verizon is the only reliable cell provider that reaches the valley I'm in and I wasn't prepared to pay the premiums they ask each month. Speed is pretty much around what I expected for the area. To me slow DSL, roughly 700Kbps to 1Mb, is better than no service at all or dialup in the area that I'm in so .. value for money is pretty good, at least for me. For someone else it might not be worth it, and if I'm lucky they'll keep upgrading and it will get better. Frontier crews are around all the time, I assume updating Verizon's antiquated network. Before I moved out of the county originally I lived in the biggest city the county sports and Verizon only had DSL service established within a few streets of their offices so I'd say Frontier has made leaps and bounds toward expanding that. They advertise up to 6Mb/s but I knew there was no way I was getting close to that.

Oh, and I still have two modems. The tech didn't seem interested in taking the other one with him so I guess I have a spare in case something happens to one of them. This is a change because most places are very adamant about getting equipment back.

Pros:

- Despite the speed I was able to update Steam and download some game files.

- iPhone and iPad are able to update reliably.

- DVR has a connection to the outside world and now allows for scheduling away from home, can order PPV, haven't tried any OnDemand services but the informational apps work fine.

- Not dialup.

Cons:

- It IS slow.. but this is subjective.

- Does not handle multitasking well.

Verdict: Better than having nothing at all or having dialup.

UPDATE 11/03: About three days after the install I began to notice the modem losing sync a few times between noon and about 7:00 pm. I attributed this to network congestion, but after a few more days the modem was losing sync quite a bit more often; seemed like it would drop every ten to fifteen minutes and my speeds were basically dial-up equivalent.

I sent an email to the general manger for my area and he said he would look into it. We discussed a similar problem my mother's modem had experienced and what the tech had suggested to fix it, I told him what my speeds were at install and what they were at now. I noticed a change the next day and in two days everything seemed to be back to normal. I've had no other issues and fairly consistent speeds at the rate that I expected for being so remote.

I've also been told I'm getting two months free for all of the install issues! It's not FiOS or cable and I can't really do streaming which would be a dealbreaker for some, but I'm able to waste my time in Final Fantasy XIV: ARR and that makes me a happy subscriber!

UPDATE 02/13/14: Credits were given as promised, but to this day I've never received a follow up from the general manager. There are still days where the service is impossible to use because the modem loses sync every 15-20 minutes. I can tell you that the initial elation I felt at finally having working service has since worn off. I'm not even going to bother trying tech support given their past performance. In late Summer/Fall of 2014 I plan on moving back to the city and the area I'm moving to is serviced by WOW. I'm looking forward to canceling Frontier and getting my cable service back. Unless something major happens I doubt I will update this listing until I terminate service.

Comments:
DeLiver
join:2004-09-01
Cincinnatus, NY

A quick question...

If your Frontier experience had exceeded your expectations, would you have contributed a similarly long and helpful review?

I doubt it.

Re: A quick question...

Actually as soon as I receive my refund check from Wide Open West after they log my equipment returned I was going to post a review on them, because I loved their service and wish they offered service where I am now.

My turn.

Did you have a point to make or do you just like to hear yourself talk?

I doubt it. I'm betting you like to hear yourself talk. Perhaps, given your own "review", you just don't like seeing people give a negative recount of their experience with your friends? Just because you have "connections" at Frontier and like their service doesn't make my negative review any less valid, or take away my right to post it if I wish.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
·SureWest Internet

said by DeLiver:

I doubt it.

I doubt it also. Not for the same snarky reason as you posted though. Reason I doubt it is that there is rarely any good experience regarding Frontier.

Sarick
It's Only Logical
join:2003-06-03
USA
·Frontier Communi..
After seeing your review from a different region I question the motivations behind your comment.

»Review of Frontier Communications by DeLiver
Sarick's Dungeon Clipart

Joe Dirt

@frontiernet.net

Frontier

I don't have any issues with Frontier. techs are nice and do what they can. I know that they are working on some congestion issues. I know that things seem to get worse but I have seen some speed bumps here in MN in some of their exchanges. They are more reliable than the cable copmany in my area which is Mediacom.

Re: Frontier

That's great for MN, but not so much here in Ohio.
iowaboy
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA
·Windstream
·WildBlue

Re: Frontier

I don't know what the problem is with the review. It is just an honest post of what has happened so far. It reminds me of another national company who has lots of issues also and not providing what it should be. I do hope they finally get your DSL installed and working. I haven't updated my review on my phone company DSL experiences yet but will soon as I am having issues of a bad line that they seem to not want to fix.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Re: Frontier

There is no problem with the review. However, the review really comes down to the OP insisting on having the service installed after the OP was told the service would not work. Now, months later, guess what? The service doesn't work. IMHO its BS to post a bad review when there was obviously a reason way back at the first phone call the OP was told he/she was not eligible for service.

Re: Frontier

IMHO it's BS to reply to a review without fully reading it. If you had you would see that two houses further away than mine have DSL and that they essentially are the end of the line. You would also see the section where the field tech discussed that the entire road had been upgraded for DSL. You would also see that the engineer measured and said I wasn't too far out and did qualify for service, hence why they did the upgrade two years ago. Hence the first person you think I should have listened to was WRONG.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Re: Frontier

Yet here you are with no DSL. I read your review. I also know that the telephone lines don't always run in the direction you think. You have conflicting reports from different people. You don't have DSL and your review doesn't really provide any useful information other than you were advised you can't get DSL and guess what? You can't get DSL.

Re: Frontier

I'm pretty sure when the line doesn't go past the last pole that I know what direction it's coming from. And if you'd really read it you'd know that the engineer says I CAN because it was mismeasured and that one of the technicians who came out said they had spoken with the guy who did the DSL upgrade for the entire road.

Should I say it slower?

Engineering said the entire road was upgraded for DSL service.

Therefore, Customer Service was initially wrong.

Oh, and per the latest update.. I have a DSL signal at the NID now. So technically I have DSL, there's just a break somewhere between the NID and the jack.
rody_44
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 recommendation

I have comcast and live in a verizon area. I think what he is trying to tell you that just because the two houses are further from you doesnt mean your line is shorter. That is indeed a true statement. It may not make sense to you but that is the way it is. It doesnt really matter why they do it that way the fact is its not rare at all no matter what phone company it is. You have to remember when phone lines were ran dsl wasnt even around. I was in the exact same boat with verizon until they ran fiber. people further away could get it and i couldnt. Came down to even tho we share the road we didnt share the same route.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

But like I said. One of the techs was on the phone with a local engineer who PERFORMED the upgrade for the entire road. All of the lines were updated. Every house qualifies for service, and NOW if I go to their website and input my address it allows for ordering. It didn't before.

Like I said, the initial person I spoke to was wrong.
slopoke

join:2012-05-20
London, OH

Re: Frontier

Well glad I stopped by today my fellow buckeye and Frontier customer. I found it entertaining. Sounds like you might have had a wire issue from the first modem. Any way we got Frontier after Verizon packed up. Truthfully things been better in the long run. Up here the service is just groovy. Hasn't been down for over a year and a half. Even then some dummy took out a pole up town. Frontier had the service back before the electric company. We have congestion issues when the kids on-line after school so I do my dirty work in the day time or middle of the nite. (download a lot of Linux) You next challenge is are you getting the speed you ordered. If not don't bother with the Tech line. Get your road boss to come out and have you provisioned to your full speed. They can do it, you can't on the phone. Just saying in case. Frontier does great if the infastructure (sp) is up to snuff. They have been updating here and it just keeps getting better. Good luck.
Just Me and My Acer. And a bag of chips.

Re: Frontier

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping.

If I'm lucky they'll have the inside wiring fixed tomorrow and I'll be good to go. The tech told me on Wednesday he had a DSL signal at the NID, so the problem has to be between there and the jack. What are the chances two modems are bad?

I work in Columbus and they have been doing a ton of work between Portsmouth and Circleville, you see them out all the time, so I assume they're doing upgrades. Verizon had a horrible infrastructure here.

I know how the first portion of my review comes across, but I am genuinely grateful for the work they've been doing and that someone somewhere has been trying to figure out what's blocking my signal and resolved that issue. Now if they can just figure out what's wrong between the NID and the jack I should be fine. According to the Technical Supervisor and General Manager for my area I should have service, it has to be the inside wiring now.

Review by MrBungle87 See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "VDSL is great...at first. "
Bad "ADSL is slow, VDSL limited avail. based on distance, constant backhaul issues"
Overall "They're an ISP. Not a good or reliable one. But, technically, they offer Internet and phone."

UPDATE, 2/12/14: despite assurances from our technical supervisor, we're still dealing with congestion. Peak hour download is usually around 4Mbit with higher than usual pings (>100ms). Traceroutes sometimes time out, or run over 2000ms to google.com. If you're considering Frontier and you have a choice (cable, fiber, whatever), TAKE THE OTHER CHOICE. Don't give Frontier your money. I've already switched my parents to Time Warner. Just a matter of closing accounts now.

UPDATE 1/26/14: backhaul problems popping up again. Download speeds plummet to between 0.8Mbit and 6Mbit during the afternoon/evening, sometimes lasting until 11 or midnight. Called my assigned regional Frontier manager about this several days ago and haven't heard back. Seems Frontier has now possibly oversold their VDSL product, too. Same old problem that we faced on our original 7Mbit (originally 3Mbit) plan. Not sure why Frontier has such massive and widespread problems with their backhaul, but they do. After discovering my upload will only ever attain a 1Mbit sync, this is just another slap in the face. Will likely be moving to Time Warner soon, not out of desire but necessity.

UPDATE, 8/9/2013: so far, so good. Haven't encountered any real issues since being switched over to VDSL in January. Still getting consistent 25Mbit (usually 30) downloads. Ping times could be better (around 60-70ms now), but this is the nature of interleaving, I suppose. My only real complaint is upload speed, or lack thereof. At the time of installation, uploads averaged 1.6Mbit (while being advertised at 3Mbit), and have since decreased to an average of 1Mbit. I'm not sure why uploads are low, but I'll have to talk to our local Frontier manager again to figure it out.

UPDATE, 1/24/2013: VDSL (25/2) is installed using the Actiontec V1000W modem/router, and speeds are great. 30Mbit down, typically, and roughly 1.3Mbit upload, which is less than I expected, but still double what I was seeing on ADSL. The only problem is ping times are higher now, at about 80ms (probably due to interleaving instead of fastpath). Will update if and when anything changes.

member for 1.2 years, 314 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Frontierrep

@144.70.2.x

In regards to VDSL availability

To be sure, VDSL availability is typically when available when you are withing 8000 feet from the central office to be capable for speeds up to 25mbps, we have been doing a lot of work since verizon was around, keeping in mind it has only been 2 1/2 years since we took over and started improving upon Verizons Antiquated networks. I apologize if you didn't get good answers from here in the Washington Call Center, I am extremely proficient in the systems and can definitely assist in this as well. If the issue has been addressed and investigated, then you should be good to go (at the very least being able to get bonded DSL for the 12/2mbps speed), I've checked the terminals in Durham/Raleigh area and do see that the Central office is equipped for VDSL (up to 40mbps for Business, 25mbps for Residential). We have a number of people available for VDSL but like with all internet providers (except wireless) it is distance related.
MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

Re: In regards to VDSL availability

Thanks for your reply. The technician who installed VDSL (25/2) told me he wasn't sure whether VDSL or bonded ADSL2 would be used since we were the second house in the area they've installed VDSL. But, it seems to be working well. I also have to give credit to the technical supervisor for our area who called me and gave me information about our true total loop distance (which was longer than I thought due to a large cable loop on another street), but they either removed or replaced a tap and loop length decreased.

I do have one question for you, though: I'm seeing a lot of errors (presumably) under "30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave" and some under "30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave". Fastpath is disabled so I guess there must be a distance consideration in still using interleaved mode on VDSL2? Either way, my download speeds are great, so I don't know how accurate the SNR and attenuation stats the modem is reporting are. I've attached a screenshot for your perusal. Hopefully, you can make some sense of the FEC numbers.

I'm also seeing higher pings than before (75-100ms), which I'm guessing is due to interleaving. Is there a way to test whether fastpath would cut ping times?
jakej1978

join:2013-01-31
Camano Island, WA

jakej1978

join:2013-01-31
Camano Island, WA
I have Frontier DSL on Camano Island, WA zipcode 98282. Do you know if anything can be done to improve speeds? I am on the south end of the island, so I imagine I am far from the CO, and it looks as though we're routed through the Everett, WA pop. Do you know if VDSL is available, and can I bond two DSL channels together if I add a second phone line with Frontier? You can write me back at jakej1978 AT g mail dot com

Thank you.
ncted

join:2010-10-25
Raleigh, NC

Just switched to Frontier from TWC

Not sure where you are in Durham. I live in Brightleaf at the Park. I got the 24/2 service which appears to be bonded ADSL. My speedtest.net ping times are about 25ms, where I was getting about 15ms from TWC, but 25ms is still better than most people I know. So far, I haven't had any issues aside from an overnight outage during which TWC was also offline. I can say that I have observed no slowdowns during primetime. Streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime is much improved compared to TWC with respect to buffering and bitrates. Hopefully this will continue to be the case.

Review by butterfly See Profile

• Location: Myrtle Beach,Horry,SC
  • Telco party DSL.Net
Good "No contract "
Bad "Horrible"
Overall "They suck"

There costumer service sucks, i don't think anyone knows what they're doing ... I upgraded to the fastest speed available and it only got worse .... I keep losing connection and its so slow, I'm going with time warner, thank God I didn't have to sign a contract ...

Comments:

Review by norm14580 See Profile

• Location: Webster,Monroe,NY
Good "Consistent speed, usually reliable"
Bad "Outage recently from Thursday 1/17 to Tuesday 1/21, 2014"
Overall "Works fine for me"

I have had Frontier DSL for many years now. Probably since 2004 or so. One of the early things I did was buy and install a whole house ADSL filter. After that, I called them and they readjusted my "provisioning" and I have had about 6Mbs download speed ever since. I hear a lot of people complaining about the speed, and I'm convinced that if Frontier wasn't so cheap and installed a whole house filter for everyone, a lot more people would like the service. My father in law has Frontier DSL too, and he was getting only about 1.5 Mbps, so I bought the same filter for him and now he gets about 5.

I know experience varies, but for my family it just works. Last week was the first time in several years that I remember having a service outage. I called tech support, and they had trouble helping me because my DSL modem was so old it does not have a web interface to diagnose problems. (I still had the original one from maybe 10 years ago.) They sent me a new DSL modem, which I received on Tuesday. (My call to them was Friday, so I'm satisfied with that.) I hooked it up, and it works great. It has the WiFi built in, so I no longer need the separate WiFi router. (Yes, my old DSL modem was that old, it did not have WiFi built in.)

I have the feeling that a lot of people that take the time to write a review do so because they had problems. I understand that, so I thought maybe we needed some balance.

Comments:

bwa1

@comcast.net

frontier dsl

I liked your review. It was balanced and helpful. Our hs internet bill with comcast just went up another twenty dollars -- now $74 a month, without phone. We have phone through frontier and are looking to bundle internet through them. Would you recommend this? We live in the boonies, and our phone service was recently upgraded by a frontier tech, who also enabled us (we're the only ones in our area to have this) to receive high speed through frontier. He also installed a filter in our box in the basement. He told us that if we ever got tired of comcast, we were ready to go with frontier. I think some other additional installation stuff would be required, but it would be minimal. Another question is this: how many filters are required? We have one where the phone line comes into the house; do we need another one at the end of the line where it connects to the router? After all the heinous reviews I've read regarding frontier, I'm a bit anxious about making the switch, although our phone service has been great. A constructive opinion on this matter would be appreciated.

DC51

@50.43.186.x

ADSL Filter

I have a very slow speed with Frontier connection supposedly was upgraded to Max but still not getting results. What is an ADSL Filter? What type did you buy and how is it connected?

Review by acdunbar See Profile

• Location: Hurricane,Putnam,WV
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Extremely slow, terrible support"
Overall "Only service in area"

Terrible connection consistency and extremely slow. After fighting with support for over a year I have received every excuse under the sun for the poor service. Have had technicians out for service at least once a month and received a different cause each time, ranging from water in the line to some one messed with the wires in the distribution box. I have repeatedly requested the local supervisor to address the issues, but ultimately was ignored. Since Frontier is the only service provider for the area they refuse to improve the infrastructure and regularly ignore customer concerns. I am extremely displeased with the quality of service and customer support. If there were any other provider I would switch immediately, even if the price were exponentially more.

Comments:
ZSwiftmend

join:2013-05-05
Morgantown, WV

Frontier has been awful for years

I agree! We have been forced to use Frontier for the last 6-7 years (in WV also) because there is no other provider. The service is awful! They advertise one speed, but we dont even come close to that. We have to have a service tech at the house about every 60 days, because someone "moved the lines in the distribution box". They do not have the infrastructure to support the customer base. And it would appear that they have no intention of doing anything about it. We have reached out to several layers of management, with no response. It is frustration beyond belief.

Review by Aranarth See Profile

• Location: Stanwood,Mecosta,MI
Good "Cheap and available"
Bad "DSL is not as fast as cable"
Overall "If your choices are Satellite or DSL, DSL wins!"

·WildBlue
Finally got it in the area after almost 9 years of promises.

Definitely better than Wildblue 500kbs service.

There are some coordination issues where everyone I called said yep its all hooked up but when the tech went to the NOC he found out it was not hooked up yet.

Price is decent.
Provided modem is a bit weird... may decide to ditch it early and get a better one form Netgear etc.

Update: After getting 3.2mbps for 6 months I started having dropped connections and other issues. Tech who came out just dropped my speed to 1700kpbs and said that was all the line was good for. So far frontier has given a deaf ear to the idea that it was running 100% stable at 3mbps for 6-9 months and that there is an issue with the line. I might switch to casair instead to get the performance I'm supposed to get.

member for 2.4 years, 670 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Arnold

@50.45.188.x

Frontier Will Not Help Us.

After about a year of having the same problems with my internet, over and over they sent a tech guy to come and help, many times. But each time the Frontier tech came here it was as if they did nothing and told us the problem was fixed and left. Each time was the same, and each time the problem did not get fixed despite their promises. Internet is very slow now and i still cannot go on youtube or watch any videos. I am hoping that one day they will do their jobs and finally help us.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
·SureWest Internet

3-6mbps

Frontier almost always does that. Start at between 3-6 on the download side, then whammo, they cut your speed and say everything in the book is responsible for your new landing spot of 1mbps download. You will never see that higher speed again. Frontier sucks!

Review by pittpete1 See Profile

• Location: Poughquag,Dutchess,NY
Good "Connection is solid and never goes down if ever"
Bad "Max speed is 6mb and congestion during evenings"
Overall "Not cutting it in todays world"

While the connection never goes down and latency is good, the speed is not up to par. Comcast in the same area offers 25mb for a few $$ cheaper. I don't understand how they stay in business? During the day and late at night i usually get close to 6mb. Prime evening hours, lucky to get 3mb. Not enough bandwith to run all the devices in the home in todays society. It's unfortunate that i'm surrounded by Verizon FIOS. I really hope they do something sooner rather than later or i'll have to have Comcast come and run an underground drop to my house.

member for 4.8 years, 668 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
·HughesNet Satell..

Data usage capping

I think I would stay back and away from those who have you capped off at some amount such as 300GB or so..
I feel more comfortable with 1 Terabyte(or higher) instead of some Gigabyte region. I just found this link »Comcast Usage Caps, Overages Arrive in Atlanta

It's good to cap off your customers because when you have over 500,000 customers pulling stuff(downloading) it can be a real mess and a real chore for the servers at the ISP NOC or office. If comcast were to turn off the capping and let all the customers run free to download whatever they want, whenever they want.. Speeds would drastically drop and you be lucky to see them ever come back. When the service is completely uncapped, other customers get a chance at taking over everyone else's connection speeds since there isn't no cap and you be free to do whatever and whenever. So its go to have caps on ISP's like comcast. Frontier does not need one cause the speeds are so low.
I hope your reading this papap. You were as kind, sweet and easy going person I ever met.
You no longer have to suffer from all the pain you had when down here on earth.
I love you.

R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise 8/9/45-11/21/13

Review by metalmayhem4 See Profile

• Location: Weston,Lewis,WV
Good "Very reliable for how rural we are, quick to fix problems"
Bad "not high speed but that's more because of our location"

Have had no major problems with them.We originally had 3 Mb speed bit kept having disconnects which turned out to be problems with the lines coupled with how far away we are. No surprise though with the major mess Verizon left our phone lines in. Frontier has been reliable with the internet connection other then the few times they had problems where a lot of areas lost internet temporarily. We signed up when they had a promotion for unlimited in state calling for 19.99 and had internet max for 29.99 bought together and a 2 year price guarantee. Not bad considering the only other option is Hughes net for $70 a month, limited speed, and almost $800 for installation.. The modem that was installed is one of the Westell 7500 wireless combo. It works ok without issues but the only complaint I can see is it doesn't support wireless n speeds. The only complaints I have other then the modem are all related to it being an ex Verizon area, is; rehired ex employee's that dont seem to know what they are doing, and the rats nest of bad wiring they left and are still trying to get cleaned and fixed up.

member for 1.1 years, 481 visits, last login: a few hours ago