Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by aguypd See Profile

• Location: Silver Springs,Wyoming,NY
Good "First year is free"
Bad "We lose our connection every time it rains"
Overall "Switched back to RR"

(update 2013-06)There hasn't been any improvement in the service from Frontier. The latency still runs 60-70 ms and the bandwidth is still down around 3.5 Mbs on the 10 Mbs service.

(update 2012-11)Recently the Internet service seems to have degraded. The latency has increased to near 70 ms and the connection resets several times a day with a new IP address being issued each time.

(update 2010-09)I am still glad that I switched back to Road Runner. However, my mother still uses Frontier's DSL. She consistenly gets bandwidths around 3.5 Mbs on her 10 Mbs service. The latency is usually around 50 ms. It can be frustrating to work on the computers at her house and attempting to use the Internet, after getting used to Road Runner at home.

We decided to get rid of our telephone service with Frontier, too, and switch to Time Warner's Digital Phone. Frontier wanted to charge us $200 because they said we had entered into a 2 year contract with them for the Telephone service. The two years for the DSL when we had it, ended back in May of 2010, and we never agreed to a 2 year contract, so I guess they just automatically put us on one.

My wife called the service department and complained and the customer service representative, said that they would cancel the $200 charge.

(update)After continuously comparing bandwidth between my mom's dsl with Frontier and our Road Runner connection, the Road Runner connection is always about three times the bandwidth and less than half of the latency.

(update)My mother, who still has Frontier DSL, got hit by lightning. She called Frontier's customer service and told them that she lost the phones and DSL. The service tech came out and got the phones back online, but never checked the DSL. She had to call them again and finally drove an hour to one of their centers, to pick up a new modem.

(update)Forget trying to get anywhere with their customer service. If you tell them you have an issue, only when it is raining and the lines are wet, they will still send a technician the next day, even though the sun is shining and everything is dried out.

(update)Switched back to Road Runner after less than six months with Frontiernet. It was a mistake to ever switch to Frontiernet.

Switched from Time Warner's Road Runner to Frontiernet's 10M DSL with a new plan that the first year is free and the second year is only $30/month and a promise that the 10M was available to our house. This turned out to be a mistake

After having the service for almost a month, we had several problems and tech support was a 45 minute wait on the phone. Technicians came out the next day and found a problem between us and the CO. Our speeds, 3568/374, are better than they were yesterday, 503/260, but not as good as they had been, 4417/376. This definitely is not what they promised us, though.

Apparently, when it rains our connection is unstable. This is terrible. I guess I have to hope for a drought, so I can have a good connection. Because of the bad connections in the wet weather, Frontier keeps throttling back our speed, instead of fixing the actual problem. The latency has really tanked, too. We were getting a latency around 35 ms, but now we are over 80 ms.

Every time it rains, we can look forward to speeds around 500/200 and a latency over 100 ms. It is terrible.

Frontier has released their announcement on their caps, and our speed is down to 95/78 with a latency of 695 ms. Go figure.

After lying to us about the availability of 10M being available in our area and their position on net neutrality, I am not holding our breath about their honesty, that people in their price protection agreement, won't be capped, also.

member for 6.6 years, 2563 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Rickski7

join:2014-11-20
Tremont, IL

Frontier Advertises "High" speed internet

Have DSL through a land line with Frontier for the past 4 months. Speed is only slightly better than dial up - download: 0.98 mbs/sec upload: 0.37 mbs/sec. The only positive thing about this "high" speed isp is the unlimited band width. It frustrates even more with every TV commercial marketing their "high" speed product. Excede satellite service is 10-12 times faster but obviously more expensive. The choice in the more rural areas in Illinois is abysmal.

Timber

@50.45.0.x

Re: Frontier Advertises "High" speed internet

I am getting angry because i was seeing 3mbp advertised then they told me to expect only 1.6mbps, then the installer said we only get 300kb....using my cellphone i can do things, but frontier on my pc is like a Turtle going up a mountain!!!!! I am shocked that a company is so desparate to make money by mass gathering a crowd of customers and doing zero to improve quality of service. Virgin mobile hotspot seemed faster than this!!!!! HELL, DIAL UP could be faster? I have been told oh you cant stream any video....only check emails? That was not stated at sign up...only when installer arrived...why is this service so bad?

Review by MrBungle87 See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Decent bandwidth if you're eligible (25/2)"
Bad "Forced POTS bundling sucks, crappy uploads"
Overall "Until TWC upgrades our area beyond 50/5, both ISP choices suck"

Update, 11/1/14: Frontier finally resolved their backhaul issues about 3 months ago and I'm actually getting my advertised speeds of 24/2 (gasp). Reliability has improved, ping times are much better, no Youtube or Netflix throttling (one of Frontier's laudable points is that they're part of Netflix's OpenCDN program). That said, I'm not holding out hope that they'll ever offer FTTP, despite having "deployed" it in a few, small areas of Durham.

UPDATE, 7/20/14: Frontier lied. Surprise. They swore up and down that the capacity issues at the DSLAM would be fixed by the end of June. I called them 2 weeks ago and asked why it wasn't fixed, and they changed their tune to "we have no ETA for a fix. Sorry." So, they lied. I'm demanding bill credits but that has to be done every month and I'm still not getting what I pay for. Never do business with Frontier.

UPDATE, 4/27/14: tech returned and switched us to bonded ADSL from VDSL at 25/2Mbit. Speeds are as advertised for about half of the day. During the other twelve hours we're still dealing with network congestion, upstream from our CO. The latest tech I spoke to said engineering is aware of the congestion but the issue is they can't get the money and resources they need from higher up to fix it (basically, adding backhaul capacity). So, all in all, Frontier's local people are great and will do their best to help you, but upper management clearly needs to be FIRED.

UPDATE, 4/21/14: peak-hour congestion persists. I've spent the last two months trying to get switched from VDSL to bonded ADSL, but Frontier keeps kicking the can down the road. The tech who came out last week didn't finish the job and promised to come back later that same day, but never did. Incompetence, lies, whatever the case may be, Frontier's showing their true colors.

UPDATE, 2/12/14: despite assurances from our technical supervisor, we're still dealing with congestion. Peak hour download is usually around 4Mbit with higher than usual pings (>100ms). Traceroutes sometimes time out, or run over 2000ms to google.com. If you're considering Frontier and you have a choice (cable, fiber, whatever), TAKE THE OTHER CHOICE. Don't give Frontier your money. I've already switched my parents to Time Warner. Just a matter of closing accounts now.

UPDATE 1/26/14: backhaul problems popping up again. Download speeds plummet to between 0.8Mbit and 6Mbit during the afternoon/evening, sometimes lasting until 11 or midnight. Called my assigned regional Frontier manager about this several days ago and haven't heard back. Seems Frontier has now possibly oversold their VDSL product, too. Same old problem that we faced on our original 7Mbit (originally 3Mbit) plan. Not sure why Frontier has such massive and widespread problems with their backhaul, but they do. After discovering my upload will only ever attain a 1Mbit sync, this is just another slap in the face. Will likely be moving to Time Warner soon, not out of desire but necessity.

UPDATE, 8/9/2013: so far, so good. Haven't encountered any real issues since being switched over to VDSL in January. Still getting consistent 25Mbit (usually 30) downloads. Ping times could be better (around 60-70ms now), but this is the nature of interleaving, I suppose. My only real complaint is upload speed, or lack thereof. At the time of installation, uploads averaged 1.6Mbit (while being advertised at 3Mbit), and have since decreased to an average of 1Mbit. I'm not sure why uploads are low, but I'll have to talk to our local Frontier manager again to figure it out.

UPDATE, 1/24/2013: VDSL (25/2) is installed using the Actiontec V1000W modem/router, and speeds are great. 30Mbit down, typically, and roughly 1.3Mbit upload, which is less than I expected, but still double what I was seeing on ADSL. The only problem is ping times are higher now, at about 80ms (probably due to interleaving instead of fastpath). Will update if and when anything changes.

member for 1.9 years, 559 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Frontierrep

@144.70.2.x

In regards to VDSL availability

To be sure, VDSL availability is typically when available when you are withing 8000 feet from the central office to be capable for speeds up to 25mbps, we have been doing a lot of work since verizon was around, keeping in mind it has only been 2 1/2 years since we took over and started improving upon Verizons Antiquated networks. I apologize if you didn't get good answers from here in the Washington Call Center, I am extremely proficient in the systems and can definitely assist in this as well. If the issue has been addressed and investigated, then you should be good to go (at the very least being able to get bonded DSL for the 12/2mbps speed), I've checked the terminals in Durham/Raleigh area and do see that the Central office is equipped for VDSL (up to 40mbps for Business, 25mbps for Residential). We have a number of people available for VDSL but like with all internet providers (except wireless) it is distance related.
MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18

Re: In regards to VDSL availability

Thanks for your reply. The technician who installed VDSL (25/2) told me he wasn't sure whether VDSL or bonded ADSL2 would be used since we were the second house in the area they've installed VDSL. But, it seems to be working well. I also have to give credit to the technical supervisor for our area who called me and gave me information about our true total loop distance (which was longer than I thought due to a large cable loop on another street), but they either removed or replaced a tap and loop length decreased.

I do have one question for you, though: I'm seeing a lot of errors (presumably) under "30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave" and some under "30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave". Fastpath is disabled so I guess there must be a distance consideration in still using interleaved mode on VDSL2? Either way, my download speeds are great, so I don't know how accurate the SNR and attenuation stats the modem is reporting are. I've attached a screenshot for your perusal. Hopefully, you can make some sense of the FEC numbers.

I'm also seeing higher pings than before (75-100ms), which I'm guessing is due to interleaving. Is there a way to test whether fastpath would cut ping times?
jakej1978

join:2013-01-31
Camano Island, WA

jakej1978

join:2013-01-31
Camano Island, WA
I have Frontier DSL on Camano Island, WA zipcode 98282. Do you know if anything can be done to improve speeds? I am on the south end of the island, so I imagine I am far from the CO, and it looks as though we're routed through the Everett, WA pop. Do you know if VDSL is available, and can I bond two DSL channels together if I add a second phone line with Frontier? You can write me back at jakej1978 AT g mail dot com

Thank you.

Just switched to Frontier from TWC

Not sure where you are in Durham. I live in Brightleaf at the Park. I got the 24/2 service which appears to be bonded ADSL. My speedtest.net ping times are about 25ms, where I was getting about 15ms from TWC, but 25ms is still better than most people I know. So far, I haven't had any issues aside from an overnight outage during which TWC was also offline. I can say that I have observed no slowdowns during primetime. Streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime is much improved compared to TWC with respect to buffering and bitrates. Hopefully this will continue to be the case.

Your Latest update

Interesting news. I have been having definite slowdowns on TWC with streaming of late. Buffering is not an issue, but I am not getting full-resolution. Where I used to routinely get 1080p on Amazon Prime streaming, the icon no longer lights up, and the picture is clearly degraded. This is despite various speedtests showing I get the advertised 30/5 speeds. I was considering trying Frontier again to see if things had gotten better. It sounds like perhaps they have.
MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18

said by ncted:

Frontier has definitely fixed their capacity problems in our area. It took longer than it should've, but they at least followed through. As far as TWC goes, you're probably running into the infamous peering point saturation issue. Lots of posts about it on here (see: Comcast and Time Warner signing deals with Netflix for paid peering). Have you tried using a VPN and then streaming from Amazon? That seems to be an easy fix for a lot of people having streaming issues.

Re: Your Latest update

I'd have to setup a TOR connection or site-to-site VPN on my router for things like my tablet or Tivo to stream over a VPN connection, but I can try it with my laptop to see if it helps. I'd rather not have to do anything fancy just to stream video though. I think I'll probably give Frontier another shot as I am really not enthused about sticking with TWC.

Re: Your Latest update

VPN did not seem to have any effect on video quality. Essentially, things look crystal clear when I watch streaming video in the morning, but at night I am clearly not getting the full bandwidth.

As my promotional rate on TWC is about to expire, I called them up to see if they would offer me something else to stay. I would be willing to consider it if they gave me a good price. The CSR seemed very put out that I was asking for a new promotion. I politely pointed out the price and speed Frontier is offering in my location, and asked if they would match it by selling me Turbo for $55/month (same as I am paying now). He said no way. If I stick with Extreme, my bill will go to $78/month in December and $80 sometime in early 2015 when there is a planned price increase. If I downgrade to standard, the price will be $58-$60.

So, I called Frontier today and ordered 24/2 for $55/month. 3 year price lock, no contract, and actually friendly people when you call them. I might be missing out on Maxx when it arrives on TWC next year, but I honestly don't need that much bandwidth, and I am sick of dealing with those jerks.

Review by jmcgeejr1 See Profile

• Location: Kirkland,King,WA
Good "When it works it's great"
Bad "Nighttime slow downs to 2-5Mbps suck."
Overall "Miss Verizon so greatly. "

I cant go on and on about just how bad it has been since Frontier took over from Verizon, trust me, they suck.

Comments:

disappointed

@50.108.189.x

frontier sucks

Stuck in Rochester. I used to get great speed with frontier but now I get 1 mb/s download and .3 mb/s upload and they tell me that they can't do anything about it and that is the best I am going to get. I am paying for 6 mb/s and am going to change carriers.

Review by jhejr See Profile

• Location: Guntown,Lee,MS
Good "Most all customer support has been very good."
Bad "DSL system needs upgrade. "
Overall "For where we are it's good"

Modem router combo is Netgear Model 7500. Runs hot, weak Wi-Fi output. Frontier will not turn on router firewall, says the firewall stop's some of there services. No free security software. Try to up sell you security services, and software. System here is old but working ok. Speaking for myself: The system is oversold. System slow down from 4 PM to 10PM. A system upgrade would be welcome. Wish they would upgrade the netgear 7500, to a better combo.

The service was 12 Mbps ordered. Glad to get the 11 mbps speed. Frontier says they are working on the system. Not holding my breath on that. I was with Comcast 50/10 internet. Moved into senior apt. We miss the faster speed, but we do not miss wait on hold for 30 min, hang up's by so called customer service of Comcast. Frontier customer service is so much better than Comcast, we don't mind having a slower connection. Frontier's installer was helpful and well trained. He tried to satisfy our needs as well as possible. Hope Frontier steps up and works on there problems

Comments:

Unhappy Cust

@50.126.145.x

Frontier Internet

Just switched over to Frontier in a couple of weeks, I opened my first bill and was shocked. The bill is $436 included installation and all kinds of extra charges. I called Frontier Customer and waited for appr. 20 minutes; finally, someone answered. They said, the bill was wrong because they charged me 3 times more for installation fees ($99x3). I told them that when I called to switch over to Frontier; they said, "No installation charges whatsoever and no hidden fees incurred." Well, they lied. I called back the second time, they said that they will write to someone with Frontier for me so they can look further into my bill. They said, I have to wait' "someone will let me know about their decisions." If you think you would like to switch over to Frontier internet because of their low prices, please do your research and don't get trapped like me. I hope Frontier will do better in customer services and keep their promises. This kind of lies will lead to lawsuits and decline in customers' satisfaction.

Re: Frontier Internet

Unhappy Cust: Thanks for the post. We called Frontier and checked our bill. It was incorrect and we had them to change it, I hope. Thank you for your post.

PoooTang

@50.107.191.x
Same happened here....I will let people know,DO A CHAT SESSION ONLINE ,AND SAVE THE QUOTE WHEN FINISHED.....BEFORE YOU GET YOUR BILL...Its what i used to prove the same scenario. The chat log is save to your email,and they cant go back on the salespersons own chat.....Use CHAT ONLINE at all cost for ANYTHING!....Hope it helps any future customers,i went from 170$ a month 30/3Mbps, too 54.99$ a month for 27/1Mbps ...great service once you get past the Billing.

·Frontier Communi..

Update

Frontier got my 12/1 to about 11.50mbps and upload to.95 mbps, latency from .42 to .23ms. The download was about 9.50 to 10.25mbps. The upload was .32 to .33 mbps. It appears that is a good as I will get on a old dsl system. In a small town of 2000+ upgrades will be very slow in coming. I do have access to over priced cable internet. Hope that having compaction will get more speed and pricing.

Internet congestion

First month as a frontier customer. Congestion,slow downs,and very long waits for pages to load. To be fair to Frontier the customer service and pricing are very good. I also have access to cable internet service. We were a 20 year Comcast customer before we moved. After getting off cable's high prices and bad customer service. We do not wish to return to that world. If Frontier don't improve in the next month or so we will be looking for a new isp.

Review by Bob61571 See Profile

• Location: Washington,Tazewell,IL
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "No Contract , No Extra Added Services"
Bad "Slow Speed, Bad Online Support and Website, Lack of Communication, Frontier not keeping up with current technology here"
Overall "DSL speeds too slow, phone/DSL bundles price too high"

·MTCO Communicati..
·DIRECTV
August 17, 2012
Just received bill for 4 months of 3Mb DSL and Telephone service in the mail, for $360+.
No penalty added(that was so nice of them).
Frontier allowing for partial payment plan, if you call them.
Sounds like the customer billing/payment software system failed, big time!

++++++++++++++++++
As of July 1, 2010, Frontier is now my provider, after the Verizon acquisition.
$30 is for 3Mbps/768 speed, transferred from previous Verizon deal from late 2009/early 2010. Also, pay $54 for telephone, plus taxes/fees. Router/gateway is Verizon's Actiontec GT704-WG. More reliable than previous Verizon issued hardware(Westell 327W and 7500). Usual speedtest in range from 2.8 to 2.4 down. Have recorded 1.8 in late 2010/early 2011.

My alternatives are Comcast, MTCO(reselling DSL), HiBeam wireless, and the cellphone providers(Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, US Cellular). Some new Fiber providers are providing service nearby: ITV-3 in Pekin, and MTCO in Metamora). I don't think that Comcast has upgraded the Peoria area to DOCSIS 3 yet. AT&T has no interest in adding U-Verse in the Peoria area, since they still offer slow DSL. Local area has patchwork of telcos(Frontier, MTCO, FairPoint, CenturyLink, AT&T). Aggravating for Peoria area, as we are World Headquarters for a Fortune 50 multinational. Many of its employees provide support from home.

Good: Few connection problems for months(until lately). Recorded 14.55Mbps speedtest in October 2010(only lasted for a few days).

Bad experiences: Had 36 hour DSL/Phone outage(connected to rain/local construction) in mid June 2011. In last month(per speedtest.net), Frontier has been moving my initial connection from Carbondale, IL to DeKalb, IL to current Wichita, Kansas(where IP is now identified as Frontier, not Verizon). This required router power cycling. Verizon had previously used a small town near Dayton, Ohio.

Netflix is unwatchable on TV. Even YouTube on the PC has stutter.

Lack of communication from Frontier on outages(until after service restored), and future area plans. Website still has many Verizon references, 1 year after acquisition. Website support/documentation is definitely worse than Verizon.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
June 20 2014 - Cancelled Frontier because of 3 MB DSL Internet service and high bundle price with wireline phone of $98.

Good: Relatively stable, although had problems during snowstorms.

Bad: Frontier just did not want to upgrade their DSL speeds from 3MB here. Confirmed that this was my best available speed , after talking to Jeff Scott, Frontier area manager in Spring 2013. Frontier showing that they are not even close to being in the current game, with internet speed. They must think that area has no alternatives, or that they just don't have the $ to get into the current game. Bundle of landline and DSL was $98, which is too expensive. Also, cancelled service June 20 2014, and refund check arrived exactly 3 months later Sept 20 2014. This may be their process, but it's a slow/antiquated process for customers. All this shows why Frontier is a sub-par telco, that will continue to wither on the vine. Left Frontier for newly constructed fiber over builder CLEC, MTCO.

Comments:

Review by aurgathor See Profile

• Location: Lynnwood,Snohomish,WA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (month by month)
Good "works fine sometimes"
Bad "broken DNS servers, occasional long outages, throughput issues"
Overall "seriously thinking of switching comcast"

Verizon was OK, but things have gone seriously downhill since the switchover to Frontier. An IP change from a Verizon IP to Frontier IP took about 16 hours, for one.
Their DNS servers are crap and do page hijacking, see: »page hijacking by Frontier

Because of their "automatic" 12 months contract, I dropped them at the first renewal. After nearly 15 years, I don't want long term contracts.

member for 12 years, 6657 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

fancythecat

@74.32.109.x

Frontier not fixing service area where I live and no other service available

Hello,
We have no cell service in our area. We are having multiple problems with both phone service and internet with Frontier. Happening to over 100 residences. I would like to know just what we are supposed to do. No other company here, monolopy area.
We have multiple medical issues and phone works just sometimes.
If phone companies cannot afford to repair lines, and making people go to cell service, then they better put up a tower here. Something really must be done about this issue.
Why isn't the public service doing something about this problem???????????????????

@74.32.109.x

Re: Frontier not fixing service area where I live and no other service available

While they are having their meetings trying to decide what to do, we the customers, are without dependable service here. This has went on for months and months and months now.

jlevans

join:2002-11-20
Mansfield, PA
where are you ???

@184.9.184.x

In Cabins, West Virginia

Review by William See Profile

• Location: Washougal,Clark,WA
Good "No complaints, except mail service"
Bad "Flaky mail service"
Overall "Fast and reliable"

·Canvas Dreams
02-15-14, been almost 2 years now, quite happy still, though wish mail service would work better. Frontier Yahoo mail is a flake of a service.

As an satellite user, was quite skeptical about Frontier was even really available here, my location is over 10 miles from the nearest town, there is a remote terminal about 2 miles down the road. Had Frontier DSL since 02-23-12 and took about a week for the install, using the Westell 7500 modem/router, all-in-all quite happy with the service.

Started with 3 Mbps down and 768K up, see speeds of ~ 3 Mbps down and ~ 1 Mbps up, don't recall exact date upload speed increased to 1 Mbps from 768. Have yet to contact Frontier for support. not needed yet, been over a year now. Pings generally stay below 50 ms all hours of the day, do spike every now and then above 100 ms, higher pings really don't bother me, coming from satellite.

member for 4.6 years, 1765 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Scott M tech

@50.121.70.x

Frontier services

Hello,
I'm actually a technician with frontiers regular high speed internet help desk. Definitely consider giving frontier a call about the issues you're having, all of our 100 percent US based work force would be happy to assist you in trouble shooting your problem.

Thanks,
Scott M
burnside

join:2012-06-19

Frontier DSL Port Availability

I am building a house in the Washougal area by the Washougal River. I have spoke to a few technicians and see that there are no more available DSL ports. The neighbors I am building by all have DSL with Frontier. Am I doomed never to get a port unless one day someone drops Frontier???

Thanks,
b

John tan

@mycingular.net

Bad

Frontier is bad!! I hate it I'm switching

Mark Mywords

@untd.com

The Frontier dsl Port Unavailability Excuse

Frontier customer service is so consistently inconsistent that it's hard to believe it's not part of a plot. Rumor has it that Frontier is an agent of the liberal agenda working to frustrate and deny hi-speed access to political adversaries/conservatives.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

Re: The Frontier dsl Port Unavailability Excuse

As outlandish as that rumor is, it could be true. Frontier sux in almost every way imaginable.

Review by spaceace49 See Profile

• Location: Altamont,Effingham,IL
Good "Speed is as advertised during the daytime"
Bad "In the evening from 7pm-12am the speeds drop to around 1.5Mbps down like clockwork"
Overall "I am leaving Frontier ASAP"

The package I ordered was the Business Ultra package. Advertised speed is 15Mbps down and 2Mbps up. Priced at $79 per month. My location is around 1-1.5 miles from the CO so signal strength isn't a problem. I ordered the business package because I work from home and required stable speeds and latency for VOIP connection.

Initial installation took around 2 weeks to complete due to rescheduling of the technician and needing a network interface box installed outside the house. Calling Frontier's support line didn't give any real results as they wouldn't give me a specific date when it would be completed. I was originally told it would be installed within a week.

Modem supplied was the Zyxel P-663HN-51 model.

After the initial installation the speeds seemed fairly stable and the internet rarely goes down. However, within a month I started noticing in the evenings the speeds started declining around 6pm and got progressively worse until around 12am with download speeds dropping to around 1.5Mbps down. The upload speed stayed consistent at around 1.9Mbps up and this never changes. After 12am the download speed jumped back up to 13.5Mbps down which is the normal maximum speed. During the day the speeds were close to normal, but still inconsistent. I placed several calls into Frontier support describing the issue I was experiencing and they dispatched a technician who replaced my modem with a different model (Frontier branded FV2200 model). I had the same problem with this modem as well. The technician suggested it might be "too many people online during the evenings". I put up with this for several more months with most evenings having to deal with the download dropping to 1.5-2Mbps. The lowest I saw was 1Mbps. At these speeds Netflix would not even load. HD viewing is out of the question. After around 10 months of service, I submitted a complaint to the FCC which Frontier responded to within a week by sending out 2 service technicians. I was told my line and connection looked solid with no issues on their end. They ran some speedtests inside and noticed the connection being inconsistent even around 3pm when they were here. They again replaced the modem with the same FV2200 modem and I continued having the problems as before. I was told I shouldn't be experiencing these drops in speed and that nobody else in the area was experiencing this. I received a call from the "supervisor" for the area as a followup and discussed the ongoing issue that was still occurring. I was again told this should not be happening and he would let the technicians know so they'd take a look at it again. I never heard anything back several weeks later so I again filed another complaint with the FCC with an attachment showing my speedtests every hour for one evening from 6pm-12am. I have heard nothing back since then and the problem continues.

I will be leaving Frontier very shortly once I verify my contract has expired and setup connection with Mediacom cable which is the only other option in this area other than wireless cell service.

downloadSpeedtest.pdf 119,177 bytes

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

We don't care

LOL!!!!!

"too many people online during the evenings"

In other words, "too many people online since we over sold our service and our equipment is crap and we don't care".
jazneo

join:2014-08-25
Hazel Green, WI

Re: We don't care

Medicom has some problems to

Review by dragonman300 See Profile

• Location: Anaheim,Orange,CA
Good "Order 6mbps plan now getting 12mbps!"
Bad "DSLAM appear to running at max capacity"
Overall "Internet work fine and I am happy camper "

·Dish Network
Im currently babysitting dogs at my Grandma house in Lake Havasu City for a month. I ordered $30 Broadband Simply MAX 6mbps. The tech installation and Netgear 7750 Gateway is free, Thanks to Frontier. After the technician left, I decided to speedtest my internet connection. Speedtest show 11.30mbps down and 0.90mbps up which is good! Although the ping is higher than I thought. But hey, at least my internet work and now I can get my service on my T-mobile GS4 via Wifi Calling.

My ADSL2+ signal stat and Speedtest

member for 3.8 years, 1264 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by skidmarks See Profile

• Location: Unityville,Lycoming,PA
Good "Reliability"
Bad "Only Name in town, Over sold CO"
Overall "Awful, Almost feel like they are robbing me every month"

I had awful, and I do mean awful, internet speeds. Started out with the second connect line and was trying to balance the two lines at my house with a PIX box and a Symantec firewall. The lines were so bad I could not get them to balance. Problem was both lines sucked so 2 X Suck= Sucking twice as bad! Bought my way out of that contract and went to one line. I did not want to have two separate networks in my house just to get internet. I run a video server in my home and it was a nightmare to get recognized on two different house networks. For a YEAR I called and complained. Every time I called I asked if I was in a congested network. If the area was off the list I would have them put me back on. Never failed. I decided I would go to a business class to see it a fixed IP would get me put on a better port of the hub or if my routing would be different... Nope just as bad. That is where I am at now. How bad do you ask? Between 200 - 400K every night for two years! That's how bad. Day (before the school bus gets through and folks get home from work) 1 to 1.5M.

Now i just gave up for about 6 months, but when i pay them each month i just get more and more p***ed off. I have been monitoring my routes and it appears that i get most of my packet loss away from the CO. Like 4 to 6 Frontier hops away. Today i finally filed a complaint with the FCC!

Comments:
jazneo

join:2014-08-25
Hazel Green, WI

buying 2 line dont make interent go faster

buying to line in one house will just make your bandwith twice small because of te dsl signal