Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by jazneo See Profile

• Location: Hazel Green,Grant,WI
Good "Get good ping for online game"
Bad "Disconnect in the week Random"
Overall "Only DSL in my Area"

It run ok for a DSL line that 110miles from the DSL server. There some time the connection get Disconnect out Randomly mostly like something happen to the Telephone line. i only get 1.20mb down that enough for games but take forever to update and download new game. I live in valley only connection i can get. If there was any other DSL or Some other type Fiber line i would change over.

It only take one day to get connect get Frontier install

I get good ping for mmorpg games.

Example games i play

The elder scroll online no Combat lag
Dragon nest no lag
Mabinogi lag little
Vindictus lag little

member for 58 days, 84 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by loribrian See Profile

• Location: Alexander,Morgan,IL
Bad "Unbelievably BAD"

Called to get internet and they said I was all set. Week goes by and nothing so called again to find out what was taking so long. Said order must not of went through and had to set it all up again and do credit check again. All set. Another week goes by and still nothing so call for the 3rd time to ask what is going on with our order and when are we going to have internet??? Customer Care apologizes that the first 2 Representatives did not set us up right, sets up the account, says we will have our modem by the 22nd, says he will credit us $25, waive the first mo. bill and any prorated chrgs due to all the problems we have had trying to get our account set up and sends us an email of everything he promised us. Ok FINALLY we are getting somewhere. WRONG.. Calls me 3 days later and says that we cannot get internet service due to it being limited in our town and we're being put back on a waiting list! I said "Your joking, right?" I said, So basically what happened is since our order didn't go through the 1st time which was frontiers mistake, someone else called up to get internet service in our area and got our spot for it while we thought we were all set up and waiting on frontier. He tells me yes that's basically what happened. Very unprofessional and wouldn't recommend them to anyone after this experience.

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Might be in the coverage area.

Looks like you might be in the coverage area for this ISP..

»royell.net/broadband-internet.php

gsuburban

join:2000-02-29
Glendora, CA

Frontier Communications

I read some place that Verizon owns Frontier.

Review by slopoke See Profile

• Location: London,Madison,OH
Good "Always On, Wireless Strong, Mostly Consistant."
Bad "Congestion when the School Buses empty and kiddies online."
Overall "Rural area with DSL. At least we have broadband."

After we changed from Verizon DSL; things went without a hitch. Had a couple bumps when contract renewed, but got that fixed. Our 'road' guys are great, friendly guys who help you get everything up to par. Small town in NoHio on line. We have Nextel Modems. Excellent wireless signal. Good advertised speeds except when the homework starts, till about midnite. Normal. Don't really use Yahoo much but the mail is good. Keeps you posted. Fair on-line support. Better getting help Here at BBR. Good site. We good.

Update: Still good. Been 'on' 166 days without a drop. Speed has improved with local updates to equipment. Road guys are great. Cruise by to see if things are good. Could get cable (TW) but they want thousands to run cable back to farm. For an extrra 3Ms don't think so. People have problems but Frontier has been good here.

Comments:
slopoke

join:2012-05-20
London, OH
·Frontier Communi..

something falling apart.

Been having a lot of trouble with drops and or no connection to web sites. guy came out with a clipboard and tried to explain. I think he said we're having server trouble on outbound. Then I see him in town and he asked if any better. Told him no. Next bill was $6 more "because of our improvements." Not. Been two months and still dropping, if not worse. Somethings up cause we had no down time or problems for a couple years. He even said something about fiber but didn't understand what he meant. ( I've been into computers since punch cards and I don't get it.) Just saying, if you are experiencing any of this respond. Center Ohio
Just Me and My Acer. And a bag of chips.

Review by isp10002 See Profile

Good "Consistent fast speeds"
Bad "Dissconects, Slow"
Overall "Decent service, frontier needs to work on getting faster speeds"

·Dish Network
·Verizon Wireless..
I got this installed a few days ago, we got the highest package we could get 3 Mbps down 768k up, speeds are very consistent I'm getting 2.5 mbps down and . 5 up all the time, fast speeds, but I wish I could get something a little faster but 3 Mbps Is fine I play Xbox live and rarely have lag, but I wish I could get faster speeds buy 3 Mbps will have to do.

Update 1 week later
So far frontier is doing great, but I'm getting 2.5 mbps down and . 6 upload out of the 3mbps down and 768k up. I play Minecraft and Xbox and have no lag, I plan on staying with frontier for a long time in till cable comes to my area. I can stream 720p videos with no buffering and 1080p with little buffering.

Update 1 Month later:
Still rock solid service, but i did notice something yestorday, It was raining heavily yestorday and i notice my xbox was lagging a bit, i do a speed test download and upload are fine, but ping is 105+ ms when is is usally below 75, hopefully it doesnt do this all the time or i will make frontier do something about it. I hope its not because of a waterlogged dsl line or bridge tap. But anyways still great service so far, The only thing that makes me mad is when a family member is streaming netflix when im playing xbox, then one of us has to get off. I hope to see a upgrade in another year or 2, Maybe they will get bonded out here or move us to a closer hub. But everything is great, Hopefully it stays like that.

May 18th:
Still rock soild service.

June 18th:
Nothing has changed.

July 25th:
Still great service!
EDIT August 4th: Recently we have been having problems with dead spots in some parts of the house. The net gear modem/router is downstairs in the basement so we got a cat 5 cable and ran it from the netgear 7550 in the basement to a new netgear n600 dual band router on the middle floor. Now we don't have dead spots in the house and everything works great.

November 24:
Still no problums

January 18th: Something really unexpected happened. Armstrong started putting up guide lines for FIOS on our poles. They said it will be up and running in 6 months or so. So when they get their stuff up i will switch to armstrong. But still i have nothing bad to say about frontier. All though in decemeber we had the service go down 2 times for about 2 hours for a unknown reason but was fixed.

2/24/2014:
Well this was unexpected. Well we were having problums with out internet latley and so have our neighbors. The internet would go down at least 3 times a day ranging from a few hours to all day. Eventionally we got a tech out and he worked on a few boxes down the road and did a complete modem reset. First day every thing was good, than we started having problums again but it wasent as bad before he came out. It now goes out maybe 1 time a day and a modem reboot usally fixes it. All i have to say is try to stay away from this company only go unless you really have to they arent the most reliable company but i am still some what satified.

4/5/2014: All problems seemed to have cleared up im guessing it may have been due to very cold weather effecting our old lines. Everything seems to be back to normal now

8/14/2014: Finally, after 1 year after have having Frontier, Armstrong Fiber finally got to our area, Which is getting installed tomorrow with a 15/2 package. We had a 1 year contract with Frontier and they renewed it AGAIN for some reason. We managed to clear the auto renew and are canceling our service tomorrow for Armstrong FIOS. All i have to say is only go with Frontier if you have no other options, Personally i had no problem with relablity with them but the problem is their service is slow (2mbps).

Comments:

Disappointed

@mycingular.net

Terrible service!

My father who is 75 just moved into a retirement community where Frontier is the only provider of internet/tv/phone service. He has waited over two weeks for a technician to come turn on his service only to get an automated call at the end of today to say they aren't going to make the appointment. I tried to call the number only to get a rude customer service rep to say he'll have to reshedule. Frontier has represented themselves very poorly. They missedare their appointment and the customer service rep stated their appointment times are a ot committments they just try to make the times. I have never experience such poor service. If we had a choice we would not use Frontier. Terrible!! Awful!!

Disappointed

@mycingular.net

Hate Frontie

@comcastbusiness.net
When we first switched to frontier, it took them 2 weeks to get our service turned on. The kept coming out and "flipping a switch" and nothing worked. After 4 visits we finally got them to come in a fix the outlets to get our service to work. When we moved we explained what had occurred during the initial install and asked that a technician come in and make sure everything was ok before they left. They refused and told us it wouldn't be necessary, so after 3 more "switch flipping" visits they told us they would come in a do the outlets again. But the technician took it upon himself to decide it wasn't unnecessary. And guess what? We still don't have internet. It has ow been 3 weeks and have another schedule today to get our service activated. What really makes me mad is that frontier is our ONLY choice for internet otherwise I would have been rid of those worthless idiots. We spoke two TWO supervisors now and were promised someone would come in. If they do not I will be in there office in Bloomington and making a scene. I am starting to wonder if they recruit their staff at the special Olympics.

isp10002

join:2012-10-24

Re: Worst service ever

What do you mean by "flipping a switch" where? on the nid?

hate frontie

@comcastbusiness.net

Re: Worst service ever

I don't know. That's what they said on the . That they just had to flip a switch and didn't have to ever come in the apartment.

Isp100022

@50.43.177.x

Re: Worst service ever

I feel so lucky to have good service, i can stream hd videos without buffering,the choices around here are century link or frontier and the highest they can provide is 3 mbps.

tech

@comcast.net
there is no switch to flip. the rep has to go to the central office and loop the line through the dsl equipment or if it is a remote changed the port to one with dsl or dial tone and dsl on it. there is no switch to flip
Jeep80909

join:2013-05-27
Lakeville, MN

Re: Worst service ever

That's not true...there's is a switch.

I signed up for DSL Lite and had it for 4 years then switched to DSL Max over the phone Frontier had to send me a new modem. Once installed I ran a speedtest and it was the same old speed, lite version, I called they sent a "tech" out. The tech called the office, they flipped the switch and it worked.

Now 2 months later, it's back to 0.77 Mbps!

I called again, this time she tried to sell me an "Upgrade" for $10 a month...Frontier Communication are lairs

I'm going to check out a hotspot.

tech

@comcast.net
did you have a self install or did you pay for a full install? self install means it is good to the nid on the side of the house, full install is good to the jack... so it matters what you got.

isp10002

join:2012-10-24

Re: Worst service ever

Ha i dont get how peoples wiring is so bad. My wiring was installed by gte 12+ years ago or more probally.

Review by bluecord See Profile

• Location: Canton,Bradford,PA
Good "it is somewhat broadband "
Bad "upload does meet broadband specs. I used to pay the same price for 25/5 5 years ago from Verizon "
Overall "it's my only choice but wouldn't have been my first choice."

while they charge a lot for low speeds my choices are limited. And they really are not that bad but i would switch in a heartbeat if another isp rolled in. they have an extremely reliable connection. But my views on the service is tainted from when I first got them. they do slow my connection speed down from time to time especially when I leave for work. for what ever reason my provisioned speed drops when not in use.

Comments:

Review by LMI See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Quick installation"
Bad "The worst performance and the worst service I ever experienced anywhere"
Overall "If you have another option, don't get frontier."

Unfortunately there is no other provider here. I subscribe to 7Mbps. During the week during day hours my download speed varies between 3 Mpbs and 1Mbps. It disconnects every few hours and I need to reboot my modem. Evenings and during the weekend speeds drop to 100 Kbps and I even measured 14 Kbps at times. Modem needs rebooting to re-establish the connection every 5 - 10 minutes.

I've been calling their tech support for well over a year and always hear the same thing: "we know there is a problem with our infrastructure in that area and we are planning on upgrading it in a month or so". It's over a year later and I still hear "we are planning to upgrade it. Sorry for any inconvenience ".

At some point I also had a problem with my line. Technician was scheduled for a specific date (no time, just the entire day). At 5 pm that day, after waiting the entire day for someone to come, I got a recorded call notifying me that "due to unforeseen circumstance the technician won't be able to come that day and will come the following day". Again, no time given.

Service performance is worse over 50% of the time than old, old dial-up modems (it's worse than 300 Kbps). And they know about it and are not doing anything to change it. (BTW., I finally complained to FCC. Let's see if that will help.)

Comments:

Review by cool88 See Profile

Good "always on."
Bad "takes time to get the full speed."
Overall "Its good. but if fiber or cable internet is there look at there offers."

For a rural area the internet is great they do a good job and its always on. I do see it go from 6mbps to 5.5mbps at the peak hours but that has fade the last 2 weeks to only slow to 5.8mbps during peak hours so they are get upgrades here every few months and I seen that the 12/2 and 24/3 is where I can get it but the 6mbps/768kbps is good and that's just what I need. If its frontier dsl or wireless or satellite internet go with frontier.

here's my everyday speed:
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3447543277
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3447634580

Update 7/31/2014 the internet is still going very good It is still always on except last weekend the area had a outage for 6 to 8 hours. »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3660260071

member for 186 days, 91 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Shirley Chap

@173.85.194.x

My service today

Although I haven't been happy with frontier for quite some time I was indeed happy today with the phone service provided bu Jackie ext.2355 and also the hard work from Brian tech 573 or 873
cool88

join:2014-04-18

Re: My service today

frontier speed wise is not the best. but 1/3 to 2/3 of tech support and customer service. will try to help get a better speed or try and find out if any new plans are open to get and even try to find out when upgrades will happen.

Review by Aranarth See Profile

• Location: Stanwood,Mecosta,MI
Good "Cheap and available"
Bad "DSL is not as fast as cable"
Overall "If your choices are Satellite or DSL, DSL wins!"

Finally got it in the area after almost 9 years of promises.

Definitely better than Wildblue 500kbs service.

There are some coordination issues where everyone I called said yep its all hooked up but when the tech went to the NOC he found out it was not hooked up yet.

Price is decent.
Provided modem is a bit weird... may decide to ditch it early and get a better one form Netgear etc.

Update: After getting 3.2mbps for 6 months I started having dropped connections and other issues. Tech who came out just dropped my speed to 1700kpbs and said that was all the line was good for. So far frontier has given a deaf ear to the idea that it was running 100% stable at 3mbps for 6-9 months and that there is an issue with the line. I might switch to casair instead to get the performance I'm supposed to get.

member for 2.9 years, 796 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Arnold

@50.45.188.x

Frontier Will Not Help Us.

After about a year of having the same problems with my internet, over and over they sent a tech guy to come and help, many times. But each time the Frontier tech came here it was as if they did nothing and told us the problem was fixed and left. Each time was the same, and each time the problem did not get fixed despite their promises. Internet is very slow now and i still cannot go on youtube or watch any videos. I am hoping that one day they will do their jobs and finally help us.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
·SureWest Internet

3-6mbps

Frontier almost always does that. Start at between 3-6 on the download side, then whammo, they cut your speed and say everything in the book is responsible for your new landing spot of 1mbps download. You will never see that higher speed again. Frontier sucks!

wow

@50.120.125.x

same thing

wow,,,,the exact same thing has happened to us,, 6 to 9 months of really good service,, then disconnects,, then slow service

Review by FTReport See Profile

• Location: Metamora,Lapeer,MI
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "I can load google and Reddit OK."
Bad "Service cuts out randomly, horrible sub advertised speed"
Overall "This ISP. Is simply. The WORST."

Two years ago I moved to my current residence, I came to this city after living in El Paso, Texas. In El Paso I was subject to Time Warner's service, while it was not stellar by ANY means, I paid $45 a month for Cable Internet that was advertised at 25mbs Down/ 10mbs Up but averaged around 8mbs Down/2 Mbs Up.

After having to deal with the typical American Service Provider BS where they throttle you back to a crawl until you call in and complain enough to have a tech come out and "magically fix your speed" for the next few weeks, I was pretty jaded about ISPs.

Then I got to where I live now, and the internet monopoly here is run by Frontier Communications. The only package they offered was DSL Internet, which costs roughly $45 a month for 5mbs Down / 2mbs Up, but realistically it averages around 1mbs Down / 6-800kbs Up. But that's not all you pay for this "quality" service, you also of course have to get a phone line because it is DSL, which costs you another $30+ per month, so in the end just to have a horrible crap service I end up paying nearly $100 for crap.

But that's just where it gets started:

When I first moved here and was having these speed issues I got frustrated with the speeds and complained to their Tech Support, and what did they say? "We actually just started a new turbo service in your area which will increase your speeds to 10mbs!" After the incredibly slow speeds I was suffering (I use my computer for work, my kids stream their shows to the xbox, and sometimes I play games online during my off time, all of which were impossible to do with these speeds and performance) So of COURSE I took the Turbo speed, it was only $14 more a month after all!

Did that fix my speeds? Heck yes! It seemed much faster (than what it was) and admittedly I was able to stream my kids shows AND do what I wanted on my computer now, sometimes it was still slow but atleast it seemed to work. Until one day I was having a heated game on some First Person Shooter game I don't recall anymore, but my friends on TeamSpeak (voice communication program) told me to check my speeds on speedtest.net (I have used this before but never bothered after getting turbo)

Come to find out my speeds were coming back around 2mbs Down / 800kbs Up. There are no words for the rage I was in. After cycling my router/modem multiple times and the speeds never improving, I called Tech Support.....

The CS Rep's answer was "Oh I'm sorry, we actually don't offer those speeds in your area, the fastest speeds we can guarantee are 2mbs Down and 1mbs up."

So basically at that point I had been paying over $100 a month for 2mbs Down / 1mbs Up (When I got even that).

Over the years if you can believe it, the service and quality has gone DOWN. My speeds have gotten worse and worse. I have had technicians out to the house MANY times, they plug their tool into the wall, make some calls to "the office" and then show me a speedtest of my advertised Up and Down, then it works great for a bit, and then crashes out into a flop again.

It disgusts me that after over TWO YEARS these people have done NOTHING to upgrade their network, only add more poor suckers to it and deliver ever decreasing performance.

To give you a comparison, my cell phone speedtest.net scores were 30mbs Down / 10mbs Up.

I will be canceling both my Business account at my storefront and my Residential account (and getting rid of that worthless landline) and getting a hotspot plan for my cell phone. Even my cell having to deal with towers gets more reliable service than my DSL...

Oh yeah that reminds me, my Frontier Internet also stops working randomly every week throughout the days. For no reason at all, my internet will go out, all my devices will disconnect, and then reconnect as normal. I've complained about this for two years, I've gotten responses from "We are doing work on our network" to "Make sure you log in to your Frontier Yahoo email every now and then, sometimes that makes your router work better".

If there is ANY other provider in your area, DEEPLY consider them before you take Frontier. The product offered is HORRIBLE. The problem however is the way America's Internet system is setup, most companies have a monopoly on an area and it comes down to "Take our crap service, or cut the cord and live in the stone age. Don't like our speeds? Ooooh, that's too bad, I'm sorry, geee, I'm so sorry, yeaaaaah."

Comments:

Review by bwb See Profile

• Location: Canandaigua,Ontario,NY
Good "The guys in the trucks are great!"
Bad "They are oversubscribed and the service is useless!"
Overall "Stay away if you have other options!"

I have been using Frontier's DSL for over 10 years between 2 locations. It is my only choice. In 2011 I had some line quality issues and it took over a month to get it fixed. Since 2011 my service has been OK, a solid 2.2 Mbps down and .384Mbps up. I am roughly 16,000' from the CO. About a month ago my service took a nose dive and is now all over the place, .3 - .01 Mbps down. If the speedtest doesn't time out I usually get .384Mbps up. After tech support tried to blame my equipment (I own a computer company), I started calling every upper management phone number I could find. I ended up in daily conversations with the area GM. She says I am in a high demand area which equates to an oversubscribed area. She said they are working on the problem and that it was supposed to be fixed last week, when it wasn't fixed last week she said this week. Talking to her 10 minutes ago, it will be fixed next week. DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT use Frontier if you rely on solid internet service to do your business. I have to go to one of my customer's empty offices for 4 - 6 hours a day to get all my remote work done since I cannot do it in my office.

If you have Frontier as an ISP, call them every single time you have an issue.

Comments:

Blake

@50.33.225.x

a VERY brief summary of my time with Frontier (over 2 years)

But that's just where it gets started:

shoot2kill

@5.79.68.x

Re: a VERY brief summary of my time with Frontier (over 2 years)

I fully agree. I'm trying to play Counter-Strike right now and kill people online, but it's now impossible. It's like I'm time traveling back in time and I'm on dialup connection speed again, from where I was a decade ago. I have murder on the mind and I need to kill people. I don't want to kill people for real. This is my only escape and now I don't have any.

Frontier might turn me into a mass murderer. I plan to sue.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3652101449

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3652103410

I live less than a mile away from a friend/neighbor house who is only getting .80Mpbs while i'm getting real broadband speeds.

yungcin

@50.36.76.x

Frontier's "high speed" internet service.

We have been fighting frontier for a couple of years now also. The service is possibly slower than dial-up and not getting any better any time soon. We also have the newest modem model and still move at a snail's pace. I reached a point finally where I told them I won't pay for a service I can't use and my bill last month was $.64. Then they tell me to monitor my internet and tell them the days it works. Wait a minute if I have to monitor my internet on a daily basis shouldn't I also get a pay check for doing their job, maybe I can send them a bill for my time since they obviously don't feel I have anything better to do. When you have a household with high school and college students as well as a disabled veteran that is trying to reenter the work force the internet is kind of essential. I'm not sure what our speed is supposed to be and can't ping test it because it times out literally every time we run the test.If you are not a Frontier subscriber right now think long and hard, and eliminate ALL other options before you sign up with them. You will regret it in the end. We are trying to find another provider now but can't seem to get anyone out where we live. Regardless DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT use Frontier if you can avoid it.