Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by aguypd See Profile

• Location: Silver Springs,Wyoming,NY
Good "First year is free"
Bad "We lose our connection every time it rains"
Overall "Switched back to RR"

(update 2014-11)My mom, finally, dropped Frontier, and in it's place she now has Time Warner. Her bandwidth never got above 3.5 Mbs, even though she was signed up for their 10 Mbs service, and her latency was always running around 60-70 ms.

(update 2013-06)There hasn't been any improvement in the service from Frontier. The latency still runs 60-70 ms and the bandwidth is still down around 3.5 Mbs on the 10 Mbs service.

(update 2012-11)Recently the Internet service seems to have degraded. The latency has increased to near 70 ms and the connection resets several times a day with a new IP address being issued each time.

(update 2010-09)I am still glad that I switched back to Road Runner. However, my mother still uses Frontier's DSL. She consistenly gets bandwidths around 3.5 Mbs on her 10 Mbs service. The latency is usually around 50 ms. It can be frustrating to work on the computers at her house and attempting to use the Internet, after getting used to Road Runner at home.

We decided to get rid of our telephone service with Frontier, too, and switch to Time Warner's Digital Phone. Frontier wanted to charge us $200 because they said we had entered into a 2 year contract with them for the Telephone service. The two years for the DSL when we had it, ended back in May of 2010, and we never agreed to a 2 year contract, so I guess they just automatically put us on one.

My wife called the service department and complained and the customer service representative, said that they would cancel the $200 charge.

(update)After continuously comparing bandwidth between my mom's dsl with Frontier and our Road Runner connection, the Road Runner connection is always about three times the bandwidth and less than half of the latency.

(update)My mother, who still has Frontier DSL, got hit by lightning. She called Frontier's customer service and told them that she lost the phones and DSL. The service tech came out and got the phones back online, but never checked the DSL. She had to call them again and finally drove an hour to one of their centers, to pick up a new modem.

(update)Forget trying to get anywhere with their customer service. If you tell them you have an issue, only when it is raining and the lines are wet, they will still send a technician the next day, even though the sun is shining and everything is dried out.

(update)Switched back to Road Runner after less than six months with Frontiernet. It was a mistake to ever switch to Frontiernet.

Switched from Time Warner's Road Runner to Frontiernet's 10M DSL with a new plan that the first year is free and the second year is only $30/month and a promise that the 10M was available to our house. This turned out to be a mistake

After having the service for almost a month, we had several problems and tech support was a 45 minute wait on the phone. Technicians came out the next day and found a problem between us and the CO. Our speeds, 3568/374, are better than they were yesterday, 503/260, but not as good as they had been, 4417/376. This definitely is not what they promised us, though.

Apparently, when it rains our connection is unstable. This is terrible. I guess I have to hope for a drought, so I can have a good connection. Because of the bad connections in the wet weather, Frontier keeps throttling back our speed, instead of fixing the actual problem. The latency has really tanked, too. We were getting a latency around 35 ms, but now we are over 80 ms.

Every time it rains, we can look forward to speeds around 500/200 and a latency over 100 ms. It is terrible.

Frontier has released their announcement on their caps, and our speed is down to 95/78 with a latency of 695 ms. Go figure.

After lying to us about the availability of 10M being available in our area and their position on net neutrality, I am not holding our breath about their honesty, that people in their price protection agreement, won't be capped, also.

member for 6.9 years, 2687 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Rickski7

join:2014-11-20
Tremont, IL

Frontier Advertises "High" speed internet

Have DSL through a land line with Frontier for the past 4 months. Speed is only slightly better than dial up - download: 0.98 mbs/sec upload: 0.37 mbs/sec. The only positive thing about this "high" speed isp is the unlimited band width. It frustrates even more with every TV commercial marketing their "high" speed product. Excede satellite service is 10-12 times faster but obviously more expensive. The choice in the more rural areas in Illinois is abysmal.

Timber

@50.45.0.x

Re: Frontier Advertises "High" speed internet

I am getting angry because i was seeing 3mbp advertised then they told me to expect only 1.6mbps, then the installer said we only get 300kb....using my cellphone i can do things, but frontier on my pc is like a Turtle going up a mountain!!!!! I am shocked that a company is so desparate to make money by mass gathering a crowd of customers and doing zero to improve quality of service. Virgin mobile hotspot seemed faster than this!!!!! HELL, DIAL UP could be faster? I have been told oh you cant stream any video....only check emails? That was not stated at sign up...only when installer arrived...why is this service so bad?

Review by Catch22 See Profile

• Location: Trumbull,Fairfield,CT
Good "To date Connecticut Frontier Uverse Internet is as reliable as when provided by AT&T (which was excellent)"
Bad "Uverse TV OnDemand snafu after Frontier took over"
Overall "So far so good but haven't used Frontier Support "

We switched from Charter to AT&T Uverse in 2007 and other than one 4 day outage (mistake in cross connect box), the AT&T service and support was stellar. Since Frontier took over, there has been no deterioration and the Pro Internet plan (up to 3 mbps upload & 512k upload) is testing at 4.3 upload and/1.1 download.

There were some fumbles on the Uverse TV OnDemand but that was resolved. Frontier TV Everywhere is a work-in-progress where the Premium streaming (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, & Starz) don't work. That is a shared issue between Frontier and the content providers (they won't recognize Frontier Uverse accounts (look for FIOS service). By and large, no major TV problems as of 12/21/14.

Haven't had to use Frontier Support yet but will update if I do,

member for 1.7 years, 745 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by yolarry See Profile

• Location: Creston,Wirt,WV
Good "Fast. Good Ping. "
Bad "Technical support needs a little improvement"
Overall "Better then Hughesnet"

·HughesNet Satell..
When you live in the rural area you got no choice but to switch from dial up or satellite to DSL. Finally after waiting for so long to get off the train wreck of Hughesnet. This year frontier answer my prayers and installed fiber optic lines. I had trouble with costumer service with techs giving me the run around and does give me a decent progress or ETA unless I talk the engineers from the remote box that is like 500 feet from my home which they don’t see to have no clue either . So 3 months later I talk to Ree GM Social Networking person, and she was very nice and send our order and 2 day air ship the netgear modem/router before they put the signs up on the remote box. Next day different tech calls in and say that she does not see anything listed on her database so I told the person it’s already taking care of, and she was being rude about saying my modem can’t do anything unless I am having account. So I hung up and called the main office, and the guy said it’s listed but I can only get 8mbps but funny thing the engineer tech was testing and getting 18 mbps. So I thought I go ahead and try 8mbps with $20 bucks a month. I got sick of paying $74 to Hughesnet. Not like I can upgrade anytime right? So 10/3/2013 the modem/router finally arrived. Place the filters hooked it up. DSL light blinking. Called the tech and he put me on hold for like 30 mins, and he tells me my neighborhood is set for 7th but he notices my neighbor is having a date for Friday installation so he’s going to put a request to check my end and see whats going on while he’s at neighbors. I know the box got redone in 2007 when a lighting storm struck the NIC beside my house. The line from the booth to the pole and to the house got replace in 2005. So could be an issue with junction haven’t rig up for DSL.. So next day (Friday) tech goes to the neighbor’s house. So I went to visit and ask if he got anything for me, and he said not without order #. So called frontier and to request the work order #. I was in a rush to get it to the tech before he leaves but the lady wanted to talk me into signing up for dish for like 5 mins and I told her we will discuss that later sometime but keeps bragging about it. So the guy hooked me up and told me to reboot my modem/router and should be getting 7mbps. WOOHOO

Benefits I like about this like about my new $20 internet

- I can game. That’s the major flow on hughesnet I couldn’t deal with it

- Unlimited. Now I can video chat with my friends and family over skype

- Netlifx. I’m a huge fan ever since I stay at my brother’s house.

- Weather does not kill my connection unlike hughesnet.

I’m overall happy since this the first time in my life I have DSL. I wouldn’t complain much to frontier but they really need some better techs.

Thanks for taking time to read this review. I just happy to get out of Hughesnet.

Update 11/12/2013: Still running rock solid. some hiccups with a couple of down times but all is good. I went ahead and upgrade to the 12mbps package and everything went fine but still getting crappy upload speed (1 mbps). I download some games from steam with my new package and sometimes it was hitting 15mbps. wow. Also, I been trying to port forward ports for an MW3 dedicated server off steam, but no mater what I tried I can't seem to get it open ports (Nat Strict) I even tried to bridge with my Linksys E3000 and still not letting me.

Update 12/4/2013: still running great. No bad luck! I saw my uptime 20 days and look at the chart and downloaded over 200GB last month. of course I brought a bunch of games on steam and watching netflix in HD on my xbox 360. Took the time and finally do windows update on all my pcs. Ask the neighbor if they have any issues and they say it's running great too!

Total on my phone bill with both internet and landline month $82

Update 9/19/2014: About couple months ago thunderstorm struck my modem and my poor linksys E3000 no longer reads LAN ports expect 1. Lucky I had a extra modem that frontier accidentally sent 2. I have not yet report this to frontier. Also my linksys turn into a wifi repeater only now I notice some days netflix and gaming doesn't play well. I get lag spike. Oh well! anything better then Hughesnet. Might call them next week to see if bundle with Dish Network since I miss tv for ~5 years now. I don't miss the commercials but I do miss my shows.

Update 12/7/2014: So I recently bundle TV with frontier with Dish. I order the Hooper and 3 rooms. Of course. the installer didn't get the right order but we got straighten out. Today I was bored and thought I play some black ops II since Advance Warfare being buggy. Now Black Ops II gives you actual ping numbers.. I didn't realized how low it ever been. Normally I get 75 but I getting 56 each lobby I go to. I run a ping test and got a A instead C. 7ms of jitter. Google, Yahoo all came out 56 ping again.

So not sure if they upgrade recently or this could change..I hope not. Haven't test netflix and gaming same time yet.

Comments:

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
·Frontier Communi..

Disappointed

Well, been close to 6 weeks since frontier started doing stuff in my area and after all the talk of us getting DSL. I have spoke with tammy(in parkersburg) several times and she's still saying "several weeks to go" but she said by the end of this year, everything will be complete(yeah, sure) I have'nt seen frontier do anything big down at the sub station in atleast 4 weeks now and there is snow on the ground already.

I guess 20 or maybe 40 more years of good old hughesnet. Hope frontier is treating you good atleast.
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password

Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.
jazneo

join:2014-08-25
Hazel Green, WI

lucky you i only got DSL no fiber yet

lucky you i only got DSL no fiber yet

Review by zenfort See Profile

• Location: Bloomfield,Hartford,CT
Good "haven't billed me since switch over"
Bad "upload speed between 0.01 and 0.13 Mb"
Overall "Not a good switch over from AT&T to Frontier CT"

AT&T Connecticut sale to Frontier CT = I am in 0.03 Mb upload (not heaven) = Over a week now! They can figure it out. I read AT&T / Frontier deal gave them no support. Tech support person told me some large business has the same upload problem. They have no updates to tell me any more.
I hour to upload a 6MB file. I have 20 domains with CMSs to update.

So far they haven't sent me a bill - I think they know they have provided no value of service.

Comments:
corporat

join:2012-02-15
Westbrook, CT

Create frontier ID in Ct

One would think easy transition, NO. Web page slow to load would not accept newly created id . One customer rep, One tech, Supervisor , One more customer service rep . Now this guy tried to enter my id from out west bingo worked . Again i mentioned frontier page slow to load . Asked to speak to supervisor again . Finally 4 hrs later supervisor says YES there is a problem with server will make note and pass along . Could i be compensated for time, say a bump in speed ? No.

Time for comcast again ? *shivers*
gbonehead

join:2008-10-01
Glastonbury, CT

Late charge without bill

I'm not thrilled with Frontier either. Several months ago they sent a cheerful postcard, not a peep since.

NOW I have a bill for two months, including late charges? For what? Them not sending me a bill?

In addition, I'm trying to figure out what all the cruft on the bill is, and their site seems to have no explanations of what they're charging for. "Complete Choice Enhanced"? Be nice to know what that is.

Gonna have to call them tomorrow. NOT looking forward to that.
zenfort

join:2014-11-21
Bloomfield, CT
·Frontier Communi..

Re: Late charge without bill

I received my bill today. called them to tell them I wasn't paying anything till my service was working. They said they'd put a note on my invoice and to call when it's working and they would credit the bill.

On their web site they say they will credit the late charges during the first 2 months.

I couldn't email a 8 MB image file last night. Tried 3 times each time nothing after 1.5 hours. I have to drive 4 miles to use the wifi at dunkin doughnuts. - I did get an app to transfer files to my phone - I then use cellular to email & ftp. Incredible pain in the behind!

Review by Omne See Profile

• Location: Dunbar,Kanawha,WV
Good "no caps"
Bad "very unreliable connection"
Overall "Live very close to the central office"

·Suddenlink
I'm supposed to be on a 12mb bonded service but, I have never seen that best I have gotten is 7mb and if it runs then it drops. I have had the service for 2 years now not good for netflix or gaming. So it looks like Suddenlink may be the only other choice, I had Verizon before the sold and never had connection problems. Using the Netgear 2550 modem.

Comments:

why me

@50.45.0.x

horror slow horror show

I am new to this service and all they keep promoting is their 3bies highspeed deal...well they have service slower than 56k...at least with 56k i would see some video. I can't get 1 sec of video to play on youtube...pages on websites load and load. With this horrible service there might as well be no youtube. How does one keep picking up more customers and never upgrade their net services? This could be fraud to charge over $34 for poor service like this. Seems like the housing scam....making promises, lying and giving nothing.....

Review by McPolygon See Profile

• Location: Everett,Snohomish,WA
Good "Unshakable Upload and Download speeds with VERY low ping times!"
Bad "BPON from the Silver Lake central office and the ONT only has a 100Mbps ethernet jack (FYI for people in Silver Firs/Mill Creek)"
Overall "Frontier fiber optic internet is priced right and very reliable even during peak hours its smooth sailing"

After being with Comcast for about 5 years I just wanted to get out. My only other reasonable option in my area (Silver Firs/Mill Creek) was Frontier Communications. I called Frontier's 800# and talked with their FIOS team and was offered 35/15 Internet for $49 a month (before Taxes and Fees) with no contract or install fee. This set up was hassle free with minimal effort on my behalf. The day before my scheduled install I had to have a fiber cable ran from the fiber junction box outside my house. Frontier appears to contract with Pacific Cable Construction, INC. to bury residential fiber. This contractor was very friendly and did a clean run underground along the side of my house. It took them about 1hr. A day later the Frontier technician arrived on time for the install. I asked the tech if he could enable the Ethernet port on the ONT. He had no problem doing this. However, the tech had to make sure it was working with the Frontier supplied router (Actiontech REV.I). and he made the disclaimer that if I use my own router and I needed technical support the only supported router is the Actiontech. I was fine with that. The installation went smoothly. The Motorola BPON ONT was installed on the side of the house, the battery backup installed in the garage and Ethernet connected as requested. I get a solid 35.5Mbps down and on average 17.7Mbps up, which is above my quoted upload speed of 15Mbps. The connection is rock solid, with no fluctuations in speed day or night. Regional pings are in the single digit range, which are far better than Comcast’s on average. All in all I am very pleased with the installation process and service provided. I would recommend Frontier Fios if you live in an area where this service is available and looking for an alternative to Comcast.

member for 1.3 years, 429 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by jmcgeejr1 See Profile

• Location: Kirkland,King,WA
Good "When it works it's great"
Bad "Nighttime slow downs to 2-5Mbps suck."
Overall "Miss Verizon so greatly. "

I cant go on and on about just how bad it has been since Frontier took over from Verizon, trust me, they suck.

member for 14.9 years, 2459 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

disappointed

@50.108.189.x

frontier sucks

Stuck in Rochester. I used to get great speed with frontier but now I get 1 mb/s download and .3 mb/s upload and they tell me that they can't do anything about it and that is the best I am going to get. I am paying for 6 mb/s and am going to change carriers.

Review by Bob61571 See Profile

• Location: Washington,Tazewell,IL
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "No Contract , No Extra Added Services"
Bad "Slow Speed, Bad Online Support and Website, Lack of Communication, Frontier not keeping up with current technology here"
Overall "DSL speeds too slow, phone/DSL bundles price too high"

·MTCO Communicati..
·DIRECTV
August 17, 2012
Just received bill for 4 months of 3Mb DSL and Telephone service in the mail, for $360+.
No penalty added(that was so nice of them).
Frontier allowing for partial payment plan, if you call them.
Sounds like the customer billing/payment software system failed, big time!

++++++++++++++++++
As of July 1, 2010, Frontier is now my provider, after the Verizon acquisition.
$30 is for 3Mbps/768 speed, transferred from previous Verizon deal from late 2009/early 2010. Also, pay $54 for telephone, plus taxes/fees. Router/gateway is Verizon's Actiontec GT704-WG. More reliable than previous Verizon issued hardware(Westell 327W and 7500). Usual speedtest in range from 2.8 to 2.4 down. Have recorded 1.8 in late 2010/early 2011.

My alternatives are Comcast, MTCO(reselling DSL), HiBeam wireless, and the cellphone providers(Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, US Cellular). Some new Fiber providers are providing service nearby: ITV-3 in Pekin, and MTCO in Metamora). I don't think that Comcast has upgraded the Peoria area to DOCSIS 3 yet. AT&T has no interest in adding U-Verse in the Peoria area, since they still offer slow DSL. Local area has patchwork of telcos(Frontier, MTCO, FairPoint, CenturyLink, AT&T). Aggravating for Peoria area, as we are World Headquarters for a Fortune 50 multinational. Many of its employees provide support from home.

Good: Few connection problems for months(until lately). Recorded 14.55Mbps speedtest in October 2010(only lasted for a few days).

Bad experiences: Had 36 hour DSL/Phone outage(connected to rain/local construction) in mid June 2011. In last month(per speedtest.net), Frontier has been moving my initial connection from Carbondale, IL to DeKalb, IL to current Wichita, Kansas(where IP is now identified as Frontier, not Verizon). This required router power cycling. Verizon had previously used a small town near Dayton, Ohio.

Netflix is unwatchable on TV. Even YouTube on the PC has stutter.

Lack of communication from Frontier on outages(until after service restored), and future area plans. Website still has many Verizon references, 1 year after acquisition. Website support/documentation is definitely worse than Verizon.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
June 20 2014 - Cancelled Frontier because of 3 MB DSL Internet service and high bundle price with wireline phone of $98.

Good: Relatively stable, although had problems during snowstorms.

Bad: Frontier just did not want to upgrade their DSL speeds from 3MB here. Confirmed that this was my best available speed , after talking to Jeff Scott, Frontier area manager in Spring 2013. Frontier showing that they are not even close to being in the current game, with internet speed. They must think that area has no alternatives, or that they just don't have the $ to get into the current game. Bundle of landline and DSL was $98, which is too expensive. Also, cancelled service June 20 2014, and refund check arrived exactly 3 months later Sept 20 2014. This may be their process, but it's a slow/antiquated process for customers. All this shows why Frontier is a sub-par telco, that will continue to wither on the vine. Left Frontier for newly constructed fiber over builder CLEC, MTCO.

member for 6.6 years, 1973 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by aurgathor See Profile

• Location: Lynnwood,Snohomish,WA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (month by month)
Good "works fine sometimes"
Bad "broken DNS servers, occasional long outages, throughput issues"
Overall "seriously thinking of switching comcast"

Verizon was OK, but things have gone seriously downhill since the switchover to Frontier. An IP change from a Verizon IP to Frontier IP took about 16 hours, for one.
Their DNS servers are crap and do page hijacking, see: »page hijacking by Frontier

Because of their "automatic" 12 months contract, I dropped them at the first renewal. After nearly 15 years, I don't want long term contracts.

member for 12.3 years, 6866 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

fancythecat

@74.32.109.x

Frontier not fixing service area where I live and no other service available

Hello,
We have no cell service in our area. We are having multiple problems with both phone service and internet with Frontier. Happening to over 100 residences. I would like to know just what we are supposed to do. No other company here, monolopy area.
We have multiple medical issues and phone works just sometimes.
If phone companies cannot afford to repair lines, and making people go to cell service, then they better put up a tower here. Something really must be done about this issue.
Why isn't the public service doing something about this problem???????????????????

@74.32.109.x

Re: Frontier not fixing service area where I live and no other service available

While they are having their meetings trying to decide what to do, we the customers, are without dependable service here. This has went on for months and months and months now.

jlevans

join:2002-11-20
Mansfield, PA
where are you ???

@184.9.184.x

In Cabins, West Virginia

Review by BillMcIntosh See Profile

• Location: Washougal,Clark,WA
Good "No complaints, except mail service"
Bad "Flaky mail service"
Overall "Fast and reliable"

·Canvas Dreams
02-15-14, been almost 2 years now, quite happy still, though wish mail service would work better. Frontier Yahoo mail is a flake of a service.

As an satellite user, was quite skeptical about Frontier was even really available here, my location is over 10 miles from the nearest town, there is a remote terminal about 2 miles down the road. Had Frontier DSL since 02-23-12 and took about a week for the install, using the Westell 7500 modem/router, all-in-all quite happy with the service.

Started with 3 Mbps down and 768K up, see speeds of ~ 3 Mbps down and ~ 1 Mbps up, don't recall exact date upload speed increased to 1 Mbps from 768. Have yet to contact Frontier for support. not needed yet, been over a year now. Pings generally stay below 50 ms all hours of the day, do spike every now and then above 100 ms, higher pings really don't bother me, coming from satellite.

member for 5 years, 1887 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Scott M tech

@50.121.70.x

Frontier services

Hello,
I'm actually a technician with frontiers regular high speed internet help desk. Definitely consider giving frontier a call about the issues you're having, all of our 100 percent US based work force would be happy to assist you in trouble shooting your problem.

Thanks,
Scott M
burnside

join:2012-06-19

Frontier DSL Port Availability

I am building a house in the Washougal area by the Washougal River. I have spoke to a few technicians and see that there are no more available DSL ports. The neighbors I am building by all have DSL with Frontier. Am I doomed never to get a port unless one day someone drops Frontier???

Thanks,
b

John tan

@mycingular.net

Bad

Frontier is bad!! I hate it I'm switching

Mark Mywords

@untd.com

The Frontier dsl Port Unavailability Excuse

Frontier customer service is so consistently inconsistent that it's hard to believe it's not part of a plot. Rumor has it that Frontier is an agent of the liberal agenda working to frustrate and deny hi-speed access to political adversaries/conservatives.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

Re: The Frontier dsl Port Unavailability Excuse

As outlandish as that rumor is, it could be true. Frontier sux in almost every way imaginable.