Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by timkedojeh See Profile

• Location: Olney,Richland,IL
Good "Decent speeds, if you can get them"
Bad "Extreme congestion and terrible reps"
Overall "If Frontier's your only choice, move."

We've had Frontier service since the lines were Verizon. Back then, things were good; out in the middle of nowhere, you can't expect much. The moment Frontier took over, things starting going downhill. First came the congestion as they added more customers to already-saturated areas, then the price hikes.

The beginning of the end was three days ago. We scheduled to have our home phone disconnected (since everyone has a cell phone). Since the phone was turned off, our speeds have been atrocious. I finally decided to check the transceiver statistics and, huh, our previously provisioned 3Mbps line was now reading 1.5Mbps (1792). Plenty of margin to spare, so it obviously wasn't a line issue.

I called support and asked them what was up. They tried to convince me that the most I could've ever been provisioned for was 1.5, I never had 3, and that the entire area was restricted to 1.5. (Huh, so what was with those sales you guys did as soon as you took over, advertising 7.1? And you provided people with 7.1, I was in people's houses who have 7.1.)

It's obvious that Frontier is over-saturated to the point where new customers are being held back to the bare minimums to maintain network quality for everyone else. It's a slap in the face that they're doing it to established customers as well when we change services. The fact that the rep had the balls to lie to me was the last straw.

In the morning, I'm calling NewWave, I'm getting a RG6 cable buried down the 400ft driveway, and I'm saying goodbye and good riddance to Frontier forever. Never again!

Comments:
Makasinsoul

join:2014-05-19

You ain't joking

I 100 percent agree, if you can only get frontier run as far away as you can. This is a cash grab company. That preys on area that have no competition. When wireless goes unlimited they will just go bankrupt and go out of business.

Review by McPolygon See Profile

• Location: Everett,Snohomish,WA
Good "Unshakable Upload and Download speeds with VERY low ping times!"
Bad "BPON from the Silver Lake central office and the ONT only has a 100Mbps ethernet jack (FYI for people in Silver Firs/Mill Creek)"
Overall "Frontier fiber optic internet is priced right and very reliable even during peak hours its smooth sailing"

After being with Comcast for about 5 years I just wanted to get out. My only other reasonable option in my area (Silver Firs/Mill Creek) was Frontier Communications. I called Frontier's 800# and talked with their FIOS team and was offered 35/15 Internet for $49 a month (before Taxes and Fees) with no contract or install fee. This set up was hassle free with minimal effort on my behalf. The day before my scheduled install I had to have a fiber cable ran from the fiber junction box outside my house. Frontier appears to contract with Pacific Cable Construction, INC. to bury residential fiber. This contractor was very friendly and did a clean run underground along the side of my house. It took them about 1hr. A day later the Frontier technician arrived on time for the install. I asked the tech if he could enable the Ethernet port on the ONT. He had no problem doing this. However, the tech had to make sure it was working with the Frontier supplied router (Actiontech REV.I). and he made the disclaimer that if I use my own router and I needed technical support the only supported router is the Actiontech. I was fine with that. The installation went smoothly. The Motorola BPON ONT was installed on the side of the house, the battery backup installed in the garage and Ethernet connected as requested. I get a solid 35.5Mbps down and on average 17.7Mbps up, which is above my quoted upload speed of 15Mbps. The connection is rock solid, with no fluctuations in speed day or night. Regional pings are in the single digit range, which are far better than Comcast’s on average. All in all I am very pleased with the installation process and service provided. I would recommend Frontier Fios if you live in an area where this service is available and looking for an alternative to Comcast.

member for 271 days, 86 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by IfThenElse See Profile

• Location: South Vienna,Clark,OH
Bad "low speed, high lag, high price"
Overall "only option"

02/2014 Downgraded to dry loop. Two customer service reps and one tech assured me porting the home phone number to a cell phone would work without losing internet. They lied. Once the phone number port went through, it took over a week to get service going again. It took them three days just to figure out what had happened, and it required a new account. Price is now a flat $40, no fees, still 3meg, still same crappy drops to about 200k in evenings. Every time I call in they say the area is marked as overloaded and that upgrades are "coming soon", but after two years I don't think they know what "soon" means.

04/2013 Getting better, but still rough. Most of the disconnect/no connect issues went away as they switched off of the Verizon leftovers. Upgraded to 3/768 summer 2011. The CO is maxed out on lines, and definitely has problems at peak hours. I can expect to get 3 meg from about 1 AM to 6 PM, but drop to effectively dial up in the evenings. This even affects games, as I still have significant lag regardless of the bandwidth needed. This could be due to the upstream compression. I have also seen the internet just stop, no activity at all, for between 3 and 10 seconds when it is particularly busy. Changed modems from the 327 to the 7500 and just got a 7550. Each had slightly better connection numbers, but no real change in the overall experience. Tech support is decent, still have to go through basic checklist each call. Every time they send a tech out, it shows my line capable of 7 meg or more. They did mix stuff up and add the inside wire maintenance plan to my account. It showed in February, back dated to January. Wasn't too hard to correct, also got some credits for the service troubles.

04/2011

This is an account that was sold by Verizon. Verizon service wasn't great, this was basically the same, but is now slowly degrading. Rural DSL, only option is 768/128, usually get 80%, not counting lag, pauses (~10secs) and disconnects (as much as every 5 minutes). Not even sure what options I have because, 9 months after acquisition, most of the website still has Verizon branding and links that do not work. Only part of Frontier (well, ncnetwork, whatever that is) website that typically works is paying the bill, go figure.

Comments:

Review by Action2 See Profile

• Location: Newman,Douglas,IL
Good "Low Latency"
Bad "Low bandwidth and packetloss during peak times."
Overall "Works well during non peak hours"

Update 4-28-2014

Over a year later congestion is still a problem. Over the last 6 months packet loss has started to become an issue as well. From 4PM-10PM the service is barely usable with speeds reaching 1Mb/s and packet loss getting as high as 10-20%. At this point websites have trouble loading and any real time usage of the internet is impossible.

While severe congestion has been recognized by Frontier as an issue, there is no timetable on fixing the problem.

--------------------------------
Update 4-03-2013:

It seems Frontier still can not get a handle on the congestion issues. They have become more severe since the last review. Speeds are generally below 3Mb after 5PM and the low speeds occasionally stay down in the basement until well after midnight.

With the window for low speeds widening instead of closing, their service is becoming less valuable for the price they are asking.
Update 9-26-2012:

Another short update, the new bonded DSL plan is now available and I have upgraded to 12Mb Bonded DSL. The speeds are definitely improved. With this new plan, a new modem/router combo was issued, leaving me with a Comtrend nexuslink 5631.

Congestion is still apparent, I have had severe drops in bandwidth during prime time over the last couple of weeks. Speeds are generally 10-11Mb/s until the 8PM-1AM time frame.

Value for money is a little better in my opinion, with the 2Mb upload being particularly nice.

Bottom line: Once congestion is cleared up, this bonded DSL will be a solid service.

Update 8-15-2012:

Quick update to this review, it appears upgrades have taken place and I can now order 7.1Mb DSL.

I have switched to their new dry loop plan that was recently made available for a similar price but faster speed.

Congestion is still a minor issue at times with speeds dipping during peak hours slightly, however latency usually remains low and bandwidth generally remains above 5Mb.

With the faster speed, the service is becoming more worth the price compared to speeds I had before.

Update 4-9-2012:

Since I wrote this review, the congestion has been mostly cleared up. There are still times of congestion on the network near Chicago, but over all latency and peak time bandwidth has improved.

The most problematic issue with the service at this point is value for money. Despite being on ADSL2+, and very close to the CO I am limited to a 3Mb connection downstream, and 768k upload. I am on the Frontier Max plan and I am currently being charged $57 per month for dry loop DSL line, ($50 + $7 modem fee) which is a very poor speed to cost ratio.

Hopefully greater speeds will be available soon, as current speeds are low even for DSL standards.
Summary: $57 a month for 3Mb DSL with congestion still being an occasional problem during peak times. Expensive and slow overall speeds compared to modern high speed internet.

---------------------------------
Original review:

I have had the 3Mbit/s Frontier DSL for the past few months, starting probably in late October of 2010 when it first became available in my area. The service started out great however I started noticing congestion issues from 7pm-midnight every night starting in early november.

Now on average the speeds are about 1Mbit/s with latency of over 200ms every evening. Calling Frontier customer service is not always as helpful as it should,
During non peak hours the latency is usually under 50ms for nearby locations with speeds greatly varying up to the max 3Mbit/s limit of course. I have recently been debating if I should consider going back to the local Wireless ISP in the area as I feel Frontier doesn't have the strength needed to overcome their issues in a reasonable amount of time.

Comments:

Esperanza

@comcast.net

Refund

Frontier service was canceled on February 7, 2012. All equipment was returned and today April I made my third call about the $129,84 Frontier owes me They claim I should receive it in 2 to 3 weeks. Unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!! Never again will I deal with this company,

Review by andy See Profile

• Location: West Edmeston,Madison,NY
Good "Tech people are friendly"
Bad "The internet service"
Overall "Don't buy unless you have to"

We live in a rural area and, yeah, I know, MOVE TO A CITY. We have to have frontier. And we pay top dollar. FOR .9 mbps down on weekends and 3 on weekdays. We don't like them

Comments:

Review by silentwarior See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Monroe,NY
Good "Secure Dedicated Circuit DSL. Most users 6.0 MB dl/ .5 ul."
Bad "Recent Network Congestion significantly impacting BW."
Overall "As network upgrade is in progress, will reevaluate in 1 - 2 months."

Frontier in Rochester NY is in the process of upgrading. Expected performance increase. Had a significant influx of users causing network congestion. Bandwidth down from 6.0 MB to .5 - 1.5 MB. Hardware updates are expected to correct speed limitations due to network loads. Have been a customer for many years. This is the first major issue I have experienced. Began around Christmas 2013. Local customer service and managers have been very responsive. (I am more patient than most as I work in IT, so I understand technical issues more than most.)

My speed tested in this post is based on how it was for some time. Currently, the speed is not up to par.

Help Desk is not local (it is in US, but can be taken by Texas, or other locations, not necessarily your own. This is the same with Time Warner as well, not unique to Frontier.)

Frontier Communications is also a Telco and bundles phone, DSL and Dishnet into one package. Cost includes HBO and top 250 and HD DVR, metered phone line, DSL Max and 2 year commitment and includes all discounts. Lower cost if less channels selected, of course.

Comments:
slopoke

join:2012-05-20
London, OH
·Frontier Communi..

Upgrades

In Ohio same thing, guy says same thing, "upgrades." We are dropping sites and connections even though all systems indicate we are connected but can't reach web-sites or it takes 2 or 3 min. Hope this fixed soon, really screws up my Linux work. Been on this 'wire' since 1991 at same location. Been DSL for 6 years. At least its better than Verizon (was).
Just Me and My Acer. And a bag of chips.

Review by PacketHauler See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Dakota,MN
Good "Extremely reliable connection and latency"
Bad "Customer service/tech support hard to deal with"
Overall "If you can get 12Mbs service in your area, not a bad way to go"

·Charter
I signed up to get triple play with Frontier over a year ago. I did this because I was already an existing Dish Network customer and they provided additional discounts by bundling. I also received a $450 Apple gift card by signing up for a 2-year contract. I was initially told I was capable of their Broadband Ultra product which is supposedly up to 12Mb down and 1Mb up. Package price was $30 for unlimited digital phone, $34 for the DSL, and $99 for the TV bundle that I already had with Dish. The install happened within a couple of days. After a day or so, I noticed some noise on my phone line, and fluctuating speeds. A tech came back out on a Sunday, which surprised me. He changed the F2 pairs, put a whole house DSL filter in, and still had noise. Then he flipped me to a different card on the DSLAM, and that cleared up the noise and the speed issues. The modem they provided me was a Netgear 7550. Seems to be solid enough as a modem, I didn't really use the router/WiFi functionality as I put it in bridge mode and used my own.

After the tech left, I found I was only provisioned for 8Mbps and 768K up. Looking at my SNR and attenuation levels, there is no reason why I wouldn't be capable of higher speeds. I call back into Frontier and ask why I'm not getting 12Mb, they said I only qualify for 3Mb service. I told them I know I'm being fed from a DSLAM that is 4 blocks from my house, the tech even showed me where it was. Frontier said they show me as being fed from a CO that's 2 miles away. I said that's not right. Basically I was told that if I make a change to my account, they will bump me down to 3Mb, even though the DSLAM could provide me 12Mb service no problem. I called in numerous times to see if things have changed, they haven't. They are telling me it's a documentation problem, to which I said why can't you send someone out to document it correctly? No answer. At this point I hung up and would see if I could get back to Charter for a reasonable price, and I was eligible for 30Mb/4Mb service at $30/month. I went back to Frontier and asked what the ETF was for opting out of Internet only, leaving phone and TV? They said $100. I ordered Charter, and had it installed. When I called back to cancel just the DSL portion, they then told me it was $400 for ETF because of the Apple gift card promo. Fantastic. At this point I just opted to keep both until my contract ran out as I like the speed increase from Charter.

With all that being said, the DSL service has been reliable, latency is rock solid, and Netflix always worked during prime-time viewing hours. If their provisioning system wasn't so finicky, I'd probably hang around with them. If they ever roll out VDSL in my area, I'll probably go back because of the better latency of DSL and no bandwidth caps.

member for 133 days, 50 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bandrp See Profile

• Location: Bluefield,Mercer,WV
Good "fast service, courteous, and great knowledge"
Bad "goes out sometimes, but which isp doesn't?"
Overall "very good service and support"

I have the fastest dsl available to me. 25mb down, and 1.5 up.
Have had very good results with frontier and will stay with them.
I am not a new member of DSLreports.
I was very sick and was offline for over a year and didn't log on so
I opened a new accout.

Comments:

Kyle

@spcsdns.net

Horrible

Internet goes out consistently and although the tech support is friendly they schedule a tech to come out and reschedule 2-3 times! Been without internet for three days now.

Review by mike8675309 See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Dakota,MN
Good "Tends to be reliable if not low performance for the cost."
Bad "Expensive for the speeds available. When there are problems, not very helpful"
Overall "Cable internet likely a better value if you can get it."

·Charter
I have Frontier's High Speed Inet 6M/384K service and for 99% of the time I don't even fret about it. Sure, I'm not thrilled about the terrible upload speed, nor the changeable download speeds. But overall, I tended to prefer Frontier since my experience with customer service has usually been very good, and my cable experience really bad.

Outages are rare, but I recently had an outage that causes me to now look at alternatives to Frontier. The service went down, out of the blue at 4:30pm. Over the next 4 hours I spoke to 3 different people at Frontier. The first basically said yes, it looks like an issue. Don't worry I'll escalate it and someone should be taking a look at the problem soon. After that I spoke to some neighbors with DSL. Yep, theirs is down too. 3.5 hours later I call to see whats up. This guy tells me someone will be out at 5pm tomorrow to look at the problem. O.k.. so now starts a long conversation, more trouble shooting, and eventually talking to a supervisor that basically says to me, regardless of what you pay for the service, we're not going to do anything about it until tomorrow.

I can get that kind of poor service from the cable company and at a lower cost. Maybe it's time for me to cut telephone all together, use my cell phone, and get cable for internet.

Update on 3/20/2014. I moved 2 years ago and in the transaction with Frontier I got stuck with no phone service and having to change phone numbers even though before the move I was given no notification of that need. Thus I could wait 3 days to get my phone service at the new home, or the cable company could get me phone service in 2 hours. I picked the cable company. No longer with Frontier and don't even get telphone from the cable company anymore. I use cable internet and voip for telephone.

Comments:

Review by ncted See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Fast, connection for a reasonable price. No caps. Netflix open connect CDN. CSRs and techs are very nice and friendly."
Bad "Installation happened a day late even though I purposely gave them plenty of lead time. 2 long outages in a week."
Overall "Nice folks, intermittent service."

I was on TWC Turbo (20/2), and I was unhappy with Netflix streaming performance and first byte time on websites and the recent price increases. Despite speedtest.net ping times of >20ms, it was laggy. I read that Frontier had joined the Netflix Open connect CDN: »signup.netflix.com/openconnect, and the price and speeds offered were good, so I decided to give it a try. I ordered Simply Broadband Max (24/2) for $55/month, no contract, free installation, and 2 year price guarantee.

Installation was a annoying because they didn't show up in the window they specified, and didn't call to tell me they weren't going to be able to make the appointment. I got a call over an hour later letting me know they would try again the next day. When I called to find out why, I was told they were busy fixing service for many people affected by adverse weather. While that may be true, they clearly knew they would not make my appointment well ahead of time, and they could have let me know sooner.

I received an ActionTec FV2200 modem. It has a full set of router features. I disabled wireless, and may try to put it into bridge mode, if I can determine how to make my Airport Extreme work with PPOE on a channel bonded connection.

Speedtest.net ping times are about 10ms longer than TWC, but first byte times are actually about 1/2 second lower than I observed with TWC. Netflix hasn't re-buffered yet, and it seems solidly at the highest PQ so far. I did experience an Internet outage (but not DSL, so must have been a backhaul issue) the first night I had the new service from about 12:30-2:00 AM, but TWC was down at the same time, so I would've been impacted either way. Since then, it has been rock solid. Hopefully that continues.

At the end of the day, I am happy I switched, and I hope this will be a reliable service for a long time to come.

UPDATE 3/5/2014:

I am posting this from my TWC connection I hadn't cancelled yet. Frontier has been down for hours and Tech Support has no idea why. This is the second time in a week. Not happy at the moment.

UPDATE 3/6/2014:

Due to connection reliability issues, I have cancelled my service. The CSR was extremely nice about it, and offered to lower my bill to make up for the inconvenience of the outage. If I didn't need this for work, I might consider it.

member for 3.8 years, 513 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Lyle jeffrey

@50.36.70.x

extremely dissatfied

I am writing this to let everyone know just how we have been treated with this company! my wife was called over a year ago with a offer to bundle our services so we could save about $30.00 a month . she agreed and they bundled our service lo and behold our monthly bill did not go down but went up by over $30.00. after numerous calls to frontier (getting some one different each time) we got nothing but a run around. At this point we ask to cancel our services and was told there would be a large charge to do so. mind you we have been with this company for ever. this was a year ago just this week my wife called to cancel our service and they say the contract was renewed in October. we had no idea how this was done they now say there is a $100.00 for early cancellation fee. this company is like a bad omen once your in you cant get out with out paying threw to nose. so be ware people you should think twice before doing business with these rip offs. we are on a fixed income so every little bit helps!