Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by KBeavers See Profile

• Location: Petersburg,Grant,WV
Good "Only highspeed ISP in the area"
Bad "Ridiculously slow speeds"
Overall "I wish I had another ISP in this area"

For the money I'm paying, ping rates slower than dialup are unacceptable. Service was also dropping every week until recently, a problem I suppose was fixed. The program I use the most averages 200 ping with dialup. My DSL bounces from 80 (not too bad) to 900 at all times. Awful. Show me another ISP and I'm gone. Utterly attrocious, and from the reviews I've read about my area calling tech isn't gonna help since all the local customers are on one line.

Comments:

Review by stinkywea See Profile

• Location: Bluefield,Mercer,WV
Good "Speed delievered as promised"
Bad "tech support and infra-structure not the best in my area"
Overall "cheaper (and slower) than cable, but offered where cable access isn't always there"

Ordered the Frontier DSL Max 1.5/256, switched from comcast cable to Frontier DSL because Comcast kept saying one price on their website and tech support, but the bill kept having another price. Service is overall good...there are some issues with the infra-structure in my neighborhood....possible OLD (1960's) lines running to the house, but pleasant and professional telephone repair techs, offered speedstream 5200 router, connection is PPPoA....I would give it a 3.75/5.00 overall rating

member for 10.8 years, 116 visits, last login: 8.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by technogal8 See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Monroe,NY
Good "can't think of any."
Bad "DSL too slow, they eliminated newsgroups"
Overall "I don't recommend Frontier."

I live 1.49 miles from the CO. I have very slow speed most of the time. I have no idea why I pay for the DSL Max, and I have terrible service. I am definitely getting ripped off, I believe. I also live very, very close to Rochester,NY so there should be no reason for the slowness.
Now, they are getting rid of newsgroups...hmmmm.
============================================
2004-03-11 10:03:43 EST: 340 / 321
2004-03-11 16:25:33 EST: 337 / 320
========

member for 10.5 years, 14 visits, last login: 10.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by dustyjay See Profile

• Location: Riddle,Douglas,OR
Good "Quick order to live, solid uninterupted signal, no downtime yet, speed real close to promised"
Bad "tech support is a little shakey"
Overall "good deal with no problems. easy to install. worth the money"

I ordered Frontiernet dsl on 10/16 and I was live online on 10/21. I have a 1 meg dn/128k up service. I get real close to that with fantastic throughput. I had a little trouble getting my signal in the first place. turned out to be electrial interferance from household wiring. after fixing that I was good to go. My price including all the extras with my phone line is the same as I had MSN DSL. Only difference is I get 30 minutes Long Distance here.

Overall I am very pleased so far and would recommend Frontiernet to anyone.

3/11/04

I had to get a new account from Frontier Telephone. Upon doing so I had to get a new DSL Account as well. It took a day and a half from order to live. That included recieving the new Modem. I have a 1 meg account I get a solid 976K through put I guess I wont bitch about that at all.

Comments:

Review by ttcRose See Profile

• Location: Elko,Elko,NV
Good "Good customer service, easy install, came on line with no problems."
Bad "I waited years for DSL to be available in my area."
Overall "It sure beats dial up and actually will cost less!"

After I first ordered DSL and got a phone call saying some field work needed to be done I was so disappointed. I thought it would be like the last time I tried to order it and my phone line didn't qualify. They assured me that they were working on it, and lo and behold, a few days later they called with an install date! I was live eleven days after placing my order! Since I dumped my second phone line and went with Frontier's "Choices" package, I will actually end up paying less, especially since I get two free months of DSL. I tested out at 1027/108, which isn't exactly blazing, but after dealing with 28.8kbps for years I'll take it!

Comments:

Review by Kaelan1 See Profile

• Location: Wilton,Sacramento,CA
Good "Easy installation"
Bad "Bad service, unwilling repair department, uninformed tech support, bad repair appointment scheduling, low line quality"
Overall "Avoid frontiernet like the plague"

We have had FrontierNet DSL for over a year. The cheapest plan they had available cost about $50/mo, so that's what we have.

Ordering and getting DSL installed was relatively easy, their repair people came out and helped us set everything up.

Originally we were given an internal DSL modem that we popped in a PCI slot. The card worked well, but eventually they phased those out and switched us to an external D-Link Router. That worked well too, but they phased that out and switched us to a SpeedStream 5200. It works fine too.

FrontierNet charges for static IPs, so I have a dynamic IP.

Overall, frontiernet's service is horrible. The tech support department is not very well informed, and every time we called I had to wait at least 10 if not 30 minutes on hold just to speak with a representative, and then spent 15 minutes giving them all my account information and going through their routine technical checks. ('clear your cache', 'reset the modem', etc.) Their repair, customer service, and tech support departments for some reason don't have a way to check each others' records and information, so pretty much any time I spoke with them they had to put me on hold while they called repair or customer service. Often, I would spend 15 minutes explaining my problem to a suprisingly competent tech support person, and then I would call back the next day and find out that almost none of what I told him made it into the records, and I'd have to explain it all again.

FrontierNet's email and internet service is acceptable. You get a few POP3 inboxes, and a simple webmail client. No Spam filtering; they used to have SpamAssassin installed and configured, which worked great, but for some reason they turned it off. No IMAP, unfortunately. Internet access is generally okay, except for a few oddities - they have ICMP and apparently outgoing SMTP blocked, which makes it impossible to ping or traceroute and means you have to use their mailservers for all outgoing mail. Apparently this is for 'virus reasons'.

For the last 6 months our connection has intermittently dropped out, and incoming packets are randomly corrupted to the point where images in web browsers will appear corrupted and internet games and radio streams are regularly disconnected, garbled, or crashed. Instead of being helpful, frontiernet was adamant that any problems were most definitely our fault, which resulted in us having our modem replaced three times. After I finally convinced them that the problem was not on our end, we spent weeks getting bounced around from department to department and being told that 'it'll be fixed real soon.' It's not fixed, and today I finally got a solid answer - they don't care.

FrontierNet is awful. I would switch providers, but no DSL provider will offer service out here, and according to SpeakEasy, FrontierNet doesn't offer any other providers access to their lines.

UPDATE: A while back, Frontiernet made us switch from the modems we had been given or had purchased (I paid $150 to buy a modem from them that had 4 ethernet ports) to the SpeedStream 5200's they were giving out. Well, last week my 5200 shorted out and would no longer work. (It failed its self-test at power-on.) Plugging in my old modem (A D-Link DSL504) gave me back my internet access, but Frontier doesn't support them anymore. Well, I got my replacement SpeedStream a few days ago. Guess what? It shorted out 15 minutes ago. I'm still on hold, and I already know what they're going to tell me once I finally get to talk to a tech.

UPDATE #2: FrontierNet has now not only blocked outgoing connections on port 25 (SMTP), but their mail servers now refuse to send any mail unless the from address is from one of their servers. I am now basically unable to send mail from anywhere but my citlink.net address, and thanks to citlink's wonderful (read: next to useless) 'spam filtering', that means I'll be getting even more spam at my citlink address than I already do, even though I paid for mail hosting with another company for this exact reason.

Comments:

Review by rscs See Profile

• Location: Montgomery,Orange,NY

I have been a Frontier Residential DSL customer for about 3 years now. Overall, the service was good and I never had any major problems. A few times when my connection went down, I called technical support only to find out that I knew of the problem before they did. When I tried to tell them it was definitely on their end, most technicians were dismissive and wanted me to play the reboot game. Of course, when they ask me what OS I am using and I reply "FreeBSD", most lose me there anyway.

My biggest complaint, however, is that Frontier has now started blocking connections to outgoing port 25 (SMTP) servers but their own. Since I run my own mail server, this is very frustrating. I don't want to relay through them, nor should I have to. This is yet another case of the Internet savvy being punished for the haphazardness of the uneducated user who just clicks around without thinking. Oh, there is a way around it -- pay them more money. You can upgrade to Business Class DSL starting at $95 a month plus a $299 installation fee for 512k down and 256k up. Yeah, right.

I think it's time to check out Road Runner. I'll get much better speeds for the same price, with no port blocking.

2004-03-02: Still putting up with Frontiernet -- one of these days I will keep my promise to switch to cable. For over two hours now, AT&T's network in New York City remains unreachable. This includes high profile sites like money.net, weightwatchers.com, smartmoney.com, everbank.com, nutrisystem.com, foxtons.com and part of priceline.com. All of these sites and many more are unreachable to Frontiernet users in my area. It may not directly be Frontiernet's problem -- it looks like the problem lies with Electric Lightwave (eli.net). However, I found out that Citizens Communications owns both Frontier and Electric Lightwave. Apparantly, I am the only user to have reported the problem (browsing to sites not on AT&T's New York network are fine, so maybe no one else noticed) and it doesn't look like it is getting high placement in the NOC queue. It shouldn't take over two hours to resolve a simple routing issue!

Comments:

Review by gahruev See Profile

• Location: Elk Grove,Sacramento,CA
Good "is available in my area, was pretty decent when was citlink.net (but still had outages)"
Bad "tech support low knowledge level. (some are good) slower up and down negotiated speeds than advertised. outages are too frequent"
Overall "cost is too high for service provided. Min Negotiated speeds are not met on a regular basis."

Initial set up was long and somewhat irritating as was told I must use a 3com 812 router (and purchase from them for $200) for their service. I already had my own routers, and 3com got out of the router biz. Did not like requirements, length of time to get my pair up. I did the setup myself and that went all right. Technical support is avail 24-7, so that is a good thing... but I do not find their technical support (in general) to be knowledgable in a variety of ways. Service is slower than what was advertised as the minimum negotiated bandwidth (up and down).

I do think down time is greater than the average ISP and the speed slower - but at least they are available 24-7 and in a rural area.

Comments:

Review by wantbetter See Profile

• Location: Alturas,Modoc,CA
Good "Fast when it works."
Bad "Count on it going out whenever it rains or snows."
Overall "Speed is fine. Reliblity is not."

Fairly new equipment here (Alturas) on the company side. Have been on their DSL for over a year now, and they can't find out why customers that go into the nearby junction box go down when it gets wet outside. If it rains or snows you can count on it going down. Customer service(?) is getting tight about giving credit for down time. Tech service(?) mostly wants to go through the "Let's tweek your computer" rutine. Waste of time to call either one. Better to call the local repair people. They are nice even if they can't find the problem.

Guess what, High Desert Online has high speed now for about $10 less and without using the phone lines. Hmmm.

Comments:

Review by StrikeEagle See Profile

• Location: Arbuckle,Colusa,CA
Good "When it works, the service is okay."
Bad "Poor service quality, network design, support, & e-mail service"

The latest in a long string of troubles with Frontiernet is that even though they are now blocking Port 25 to supposedly prevent spam from bouncing off of Frontiernet mail servers or through the Frontiernet network to other mail servers, Frontier remains on the BAN list at AOL. This results in ALL AOL bound mail being rejected by AOL servers. But, according to Frontier 'tech support' it's a minor issue as it only affect AOL bound traffic. HUH?!?!

The sad reality is that Frontier is the WORST ISP I've ever dealt with in my almost 15 years in the IT industry. But, I live in one of their little ghettos, so I'm stuck with Frontier and only Frontier if I want any kind of high speed Internet service.

Admittedly, the service did improve once they upgraded the Elk Grove backbone to a router that wasn’t running at 110% of rated capacity. (that figure is actually from Frontier technicians) But, when coupled with the horrendous design that they have for their mail, DNS and DHCP services, it breaks down not to mean very much. Then add in the fact that there are only TWO field technicians who can even spell DSL, and I’m stuck basically troubleshooting and diagnosing my own trouble tickets.

If there were ANY competition for high speed Internet in the area, Frontier would loose virtually their entire client base. Sadly, that’s not likely to happen given the rural nature of the area.