Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by KPRO See Profile

• Location: Webster,Monroe,NY
Good "Stable, fast, and trouble-free most of the time."
Bad "39.95"
Overall "29.95 would be a fair price, but I'm happy."

Advertised at 3000 kbps. After a few tweaks I ran some tests and have recorded 2466/322 kbps. Not bad. I'm happy.

Comments:

Review by sylen See Profile

• Location: Bullhead City,Mohave,AZ
Good "Reliable connection"
Bad "Slow upload"
Overall "better than cablevisions cable, but could be better"

All in all its acceptable, but a few things could be better.

I switched from cablevisions cable service, which got 1000/250, but was pretty much useless because from 10am-8pm the connection got enough packetloss to make it close to impossible to play games online. Also the line would die about twice a week for an hour or so. Frontiernet, allthough has 900/100 and i think it was a good trade-off for my previous cable isp because the line has no noticable packetloss, and near the same download speed. One other thing is that it takes them sooooooo long to come and install, it took cablevision only a few weeks.

The bottom line is, it is it is a stable isp, but it would be nice if theyupgraded the speeds. After having this line for 2 months i have had not one problem

---------

Connection dies about once a day, and i have to reboot the modem to get it to work again, other than that no complaints.

member for 11.7 years, 185 visits, last login: 6.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by sol65 See Profile

• Location: Keeseville,Clinton,NY
Good "Great, knowledgeable tech support, dedicated install technicians"
Bad "None (other than 1 defective modem new out of the box, replaced in one day)"
Overall "Highly recommended"

I ordered DSL at $45/month as soon as it became available in my exchange. I had been putting up with Starband satellite at $75/month as it was my only alternative other than dialup, which is simply insufficient. Cable is not available on my street. In my town there is only one class of DSL offered (the faster of the two that Frontier offers). I believe that the advertised speeds are 1000/120 and my service exceeds this. Supplied equipment is Efficient Networks Speedstream 5200 on PPPoE. My service was the first DSL account activated in my town! I got a $35 one time promo credit without any long term contract requirement. I ordered service on a Tuesday, received the (unfortunately, defective) modem on Thursday and on the following Monday my line was activated exactly as scheduled. Although I was told I had a self-install, installers came to my home on the Monday anyway, verified that the proper lights lit up on the modem, and then telephoned me (I was at work) for further instruction. My computer had some very peculiar settings, attached hardware, and software from the Starband, so I told the installers that I'd be happy to remove all the Starband hardware and software myself and renew the IP address to finish the install when I arrived home. Installers left their pager number so that I could contact them directly with any issues that might develop. Due to defective modem (which installers had, to their credit, no way to identify as such), my computer could not "see" the modem upon completion of the install. Competent, friendly tech support helped figure this out, and the installers returned with a new modem first thing the next morning and all has been great since then. One of the best freebies is that they throw in a free dialup account that you can use when you travel or if your DSL modem goes down, and that dialup was very helpful that first evening, to fetch and send email before the defective modem was replaced.

Comments:

Review by The Duck See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
Good "Stable high speeds"
Bad "Tech support can be spotty"
Overall "Best deal for the money in my area, but slipping fast"

Initial setup was very smooth. I was able to get nearly exact loop length before my new house was even built. Sales staff was able to communicate with local support staff to get an unofficial, but accurate prequalification. My only disappointment with the install process was that I had to have POTS installed and working for 14 days before they could get the order officially placed and processed.

Frontier provided a brand new Speedstream 5200, leased to me for free for the duration of my DSL service, along with a few filters. I called tech support to inquire what brand/model DSL splitters they provide with their "professional" installation. The rep could not identify any devices and told me, incorrectly, that splitters were proprietary and not available to the general public.

I installed a splitter, and on the date promised in my self install kit I had service. The modem worked fine for a few days, and then suddenly stopped transmitting data. Tech support came through this time and had me up and going in about 5 minutes. I have not experienced any problems with service since then, about 5 months now.

Coming up on a year of service. I have experienced one DSL outage related to equipment failure at the CO. Outage lasted about 24 hours. Tech support promised a call back to me when the issue was resolved, though that never happened. Have had a couple of times when the modem lost sync. Otherwise I have not experienced any major issues.

I have a DHCP assigned address, it changes regularly even though my modem is never turned off. Over all I am still fairly satisfied with their service.

DNS servers have been sucking pond water for the last few weeks now. Tech support says they can ping the server, therefore it is up. _WOW_ I have also been experiencing frequent periods of no IP connectivity. Disconnect the modem and log back on, boom. New IP and suddenly things start moving.

I am just holding out for surewest.net now...

Still seeing loss of connectivity related to new IP assignments. There have been several outages in Elk Grove over the last few weeks. Tech support admitted that Elk Grove has been having "a lot of trouble in the past few weeks."

member for 13.4 years, 687 visits, last login: 2.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by joephp See Profile

• Location: Honeoye,Ontario,NY
Good "speed is good, no down-time..yet!"
Bad "took 3 years to get the CO lit-up"
Overall "I am happy with the service"

I will review, this review of Frontier DSL, in a couple months as a follow-up. I have only had the DSL for a month and there is not an option for cable in this area (cow country). The advertised speeds are 3mb/384kb. My testing shows anywhere from 2mb to about 2.4mb down and a steady 300kb up, depending on if I test a west or east coast server. The pings are very good, and as of yet we haven't had any outages. The people I dealt with pre-sale were friendly and helpful. Although, I did let them know if they didn't expedite getting DSL in the CO, that I would put an order in for a Frac-"T" (256/256 T) which I think sped up the process! :~)
The Tech jargon:
1) DSL-Max 3mb advertised,
2) $39.95/month
3) NO option for static I.P.at CO
4) NO option for business class at CO
5) Friendly F.A.P. (my opinion)
6) block port 25
7) Efficient Networks 5200 modem plus 5 filters supplied
8) SOHO network with small web server
9) Installation- plug in filter, connect modem, connect router, power on--- surf the net!
As a whole I am pleased with the service.
joephp
p.s.- distance to CO approx. 7500 feet.

member for 10.5 years, 16 visits, last login: 10.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by matt266 See Profile

• Location: Bluefield,Mercer,WV
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Had trouble From the start. Connection was so bad couldnt do anything."
Overall "Will never use this company again. Get Comcast Way Better"

I was given the run around on the phone. Promised was supposed to be fixed. never was. Have to deal with undertrained technican. Was nice guy.But couldnt fix it.Thats what he said. He no idea what was wrong. I tried to help was treated lik
Had a comple lack of internet and pcs. Other than web browser coming up. thats there limits.

The customer shuldnt be penalized 40 a month is lot money to just hand out for dial up. And your on dsl
They techs and people here are nice people. Just need to progresss and learn more as the internet grows.

Their is such a lack of whats needed.

In the end i was charged for a service i never got. it was worse than dial up.

Customer service is horrible. and Tried lying to get me just hang up forget it.

In the end customer reprensitive Agreed that i was lied to.

But not refund money because of innaccurate reports of field tech. Instead putting i had problem he covered himself. And cost me service and money.

Im a honest person. But was treated dishonestly by this company.

I

Comments:

Review by bigsandy See Profile

• Location: Mcgregor,Aitkin,MN
Good "Better than dial up and more reliable than Direct Way and cheaper than DW."
Bad "Nothing yet.. and hope it stays that way...."
Overall "Tests thus far very favorable.. but not as fast as cable (Houston Road Runner) and if we had cable would drop DSL.."

Ran several tests and all of them exceeded Frontiers specs. Have been
satisfied thus far .. The only comparison re. broadband that I
have experience with is DirectWay.. The reason for dumping
DW is that they provided very poor service and even poorer tech
support. Had a very hard time understanding the Indian tech support
types.. and the wait time was extensive.. example: my fully charged
cordless phone died on me while waiting for someone to help me with my
problem..

The only issue that I have with Frontier right now is that they do not
provide binaries on the newsgroups.. Right now this is not a major issue
but will wait and see what they intend to do re. binaries.. Will
continue with Frontier into next year at which time will check out Wild
Blue.. They intend to launch in July (they said that before) and will be
soliciting customers in the fall ... As I understand it.. the cost of
installation (two way) is 300 dollars.. they provide the dish and
modem.. Monthly charge is $50.

But I digress..

Bob Hager

Comments:

Review by mhlvrs See Profile

• Location: Alturas,Modoc,CA
Good "Quick Install - NO PPPoE (modem stores passwords)"
Bad "Cannot prequal - a tech must come out 1st"
Overall "Not any other providers"

Okay here's the scoop....I dropped Frontier back in Jan. because they were blocking port 69; their so called Tech Support said that they were not....basically a Tech in Sacramento took it upon himself to block that port and Sacramento feeds the internet to Alturas....So now it's May I need port 69 so I call Frontier and let them know that I need port 69 and ask if it is still blocked...they say NO...So I reorder DSL from Frontier (HDO runs a proxy server and it block's java a php scripts from displaying correctly; even EBAY doesn't work correctly on HDO)...I get it an sure enough port 69 is blocked...so I call the techies and they say oh yeah we blocked it on all servers....AFTER I signed up and AFTER I asked them if it was un blocked!!!

But, the choices are very limited here so it's them or nothing.

All in all, I think there okay - A little expensive for the quality of service.

member for 13.2 years, 102 visits, last login: 7.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by grgeiger See Profile

• Location: Elcho,Langlade,WI
Good "24 hour tech support, down times and network problems seem to be resolved in a decent amount of time, speed is as advertised"
Bad "Some ICMP ports are blocked, Binary Newsgroups have been removed, after hours and weekend tech support means long waits on hold"
Overall "Service is reliable, downtime is minimal, price seems quite high, Only tech support can log into your DSL/Modem and router"

My Frontier Business Class DSL is wonderful for my area. I am getting the speed as outlined in my contract, downtimes are quite limited. The longest outage I ever had with this service was about 5 to 6 hours in a period of a 16 to 18 months. Tech support is available 24/7 (even on Christmas).. I found on several occasions, I had to wait on hold for over an hour to speak to customer service. The extremely long wait times are usually on weekends during the evening. However, during normal business hours, I am able to speak to a tech support person usually within a few minutes.

The price of this DSL is quite expensive. I live in a remote area, it is very rare that DSL is available in such a remote area. This is probably the reason for the high price.

I am quite upset Frontier recently blocked binary newsgroups. (text newsgroups still available). I am not happy with the fact that Frontier blocks some ICMP packets and various port numbers despite that I have a business class account. The phone book advertisment mentions "No Blocked Ports" for business class customers.

I have been unable to use TFTP for almost a year because port 69 has been blocked.

I am provided a Speedstream DSL Modem/4 Port router with my service. In order to set up port forwarding, or change any type of Configuration.. You need to call tech support. I am not provided with the login and password for my router. It doesn't matter to me WHO sets up my router, and at least Frontier is responsible if the router isn't set up correctly.

I give my service from Frontier a good score. On a scale of 1 to 5, I probably rate the service a 4. The only disadvantages, are blocked ports, and binary newsgroups no longer offered.

Comments:

Review by KBeavers See Profile

• Location: Petersburg,Grant,WV
Good "Only highspeed ISP in the area"
Bad "Ridiculously slow speeds"
Overall "I wish I had another ISP in this area"

For the money I'm paying, ping rates slower than dialup are unacceptable. Service was also dropping every week until recently, a problem I suppose was fixed. The program I use the most averages 200 ping with dialup. My DSL bounces from 80 (not too bad) to 900 at all times. Awful. Show me another ISP and I'm gone. Utterly attrocious, and from the reviews I've read about my area calling tech isn't gonna help since all the local customers are on one line.

member for 10.6 years, 33 visits, last login: 10.2 years ago