Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by hhuck See Profile

• Location: Roscoe,Sullivan,NY
Good "Beats the hell out my former satellite service."
Bad "None yet"
Overall "Coming from Direcway Satellite, Frontier ROCKS..."

I had direcway for over 4 years, then 1 day Frontier called and told me DSL was availabe. I laughed as I was 15 miles, that's right, MILES from the CO. I said sure to their 1000 down and 128 up service. 5 days later, the modem was left on my doorstep, and I was still not believing this. I installed all the filters, plugged in the Speedstream 5200, and low and behold, the DSL light was glowing a steady green. My usual download speed averages around 800 and upload around 110. Pings average 45 compared to my satellite at 12 to 1600. As far as I'm concerned this service, considering my distance, and OLD phone lines, ROCKS. I'll let upu know in the future if the service craps out. Howie

Comments:

Review by hotshotDJ See Profile

• Location: Wayland,Steuben,NY
Good "Fast, Reliable, Inexpensive"
Bad "I can't find any downsides!"
Overall "If it is available in your area, this is the service to get"

After my bad experience with Time Warner's RoadRunner service, I signed up with Frontier's DSL Max service. They are less expensive than RR and claim faster speeds (up to 3000 kbps). A mistake was made with my initial order, which delayed my service being installed for about a week. However, the representative that made the error imediately called me to let me know and was excellent about keeping me informed of the progress of my order. Before my install date, a linesman came out and installed a new drop to my house "just to make sure." The installer came out a few days later and did a lot of work on the inside wiring of the house. He made sure I was happy with everything before he left.

Over the last few days I've put my new Frontier DSL Max through its paces. Newsgroups are fast, speed tests consistantly show about 2500 kbps. My only complaint is that upload speed is too slow. I'd much rather see it at 256 or higher. But I knew about that before I placed my order so I can't really complain about it.

**UPDATE** At the begining of October, 2003, upload speed was increased to 384 Kbps at no additional cost. Speed tests here at Broadband Reports and elswhere confirm that I am getting the new and improved upload speeds!

I've only had to deal with Tech Support once. The tech politely listened to the problem, did some on-the-phone trouble shooting then escalated the trouble ticket. By the next day (a Sunday, no less) they called to say that the problem was found and corrected. When we checked, sure enough.. the problem was solved.

Bottom Line: If you're fortunate enough to live close to the CO, use FrontierNet. They are both faster and less expensive than cable.

EDIT: March 6, 2004 --

I've made some minor changes to my ratings based now on several more months with Frontier Communications of Rochester, NY.

I've reduced "Connection Reliability" from a perfect score down one point (from "5" to "4"). This is simply because my connection has not been 100%. I've lost connectivity several times in the last few months. In fairness... once was due to a cable down from an automobile accident, and another time was in the wee hours of the morning after work -- I don't know why it was down, (possibly system mantainance?) but I went to bed and it was working when I woke up. Connection speed continues to be consistantly excellent. Slow-downs are rare and almost always attributable to forces outside ISP control (slow servers, congestion outside the frontier network, etc).

Secondly, I've bumped Tech Support from "4" to "5". I've only needed them a couple of times, and EACH time problems were solved in a very short time frame. Also, my home desktop system is Linux ... Tech Support does not run screaming when I tell them this. They make a best-effort to help me out. Very nice indeed! 100 percent of my Tech Support calls have been good experiences. I can't say this for ANY ISP I've ever had.

UPDATE: 10/28/04

I've increased Reliablity back to 5. Its been rock solid since my previous update. I increased install coordination as well. I recently moved to nearby town also served by frontier. The move went without a problem. Frontier was at the new house when the said they'd be there, rewired the inside wires and added a telephone outlet. Everything worked imediately. Tech support continues to get a rating of 5 from me. Recently, a lightning strike fried my DSL modem (as well as my NIC). Frontier was out within days with a new modem. The NIC, of course, was my problem, which I took care of before they arrived.

member for 13.3 years, 2169 visits, last login: 3.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by PSMurray See Profile

• Location: Cato,Cayuga,NY
Good "Surprised! Turn around time was 5 days."
Bad "Tech Support Clueless -"
Overall "Le$$ one phone line - Faster than dialup."

DSL service in this area started a month ago. They never told me that. I had to find out from a friend in the communications industry. As you can guess, I'm out in the boonies - way out. Even cell phones have trouble getting here.

I found a plastic bag on my door step the day of installation. Residential srv was a self install. They did not tell me that! Plastic bag contained a box w/Modem (Speedstreem 5200), Install CD, cables, and telephone equipment filters. Installation had a small glitch. Nothing to get the shorts in a knot. Total time - 15 min. I guess. Even a non-techie would not have trouble.

I must use my one Ethernet connection for the DSL Modem. THEREFORE, I can not use my small home network (NAS, 2 Printers, Portable, 8 port switch). It can not be found if I connect it to my Netgear Switch! They also should have told me that the IP address on my PC was going to be changed. I called Tech Support - waste of time. The first thing he had me do was manually load the DNS servers (rather than use the auto DSN server) ??? What really pissed me off was that I was put on hold MANY times so that he could talk to someone with more (?) smarts. PATCH ME THRU!

Waiting till Monday to call Tech Support again. Hoping someone with knowledge will be in - Please!

Oct 20 - Update
============
Short response : 5200 was defective at the ethernet connection.

Long response: Thank "Doctor Olds", the moderator of Efficient Forum for leading me on to the correct path. ( see: SS 5200 trashes home network)

PS: A "Thank You" goes to Frontiernet for helping me with the problem. Replacement on the way.
*> Tech Support goes to a 4, from a 2. *

member for 10.4 years, 186 visits, last login: 3.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by cgian See Profile

• Location: Chenango Forks,Broome,NY
  • Telco party @link
  • CLEC party: Timely Express
Good "The Installers are the greatest!"
Bad "Tech Support"
Overall "works for me"

I put in an online order for dsl max late Sunday night.
On Monday a very nice lady from the call center in upstate NY called and scheduled an install for Thursday.(Self installation -modem drop off)
Got home thursday night...no modem.
Sent an e-mail and was told that they were very busy and would be there friday.
Friday was colder than Leona Helmsley's heart...wind chill way below zero.
The installer......was up the pole checking a splice...I felt bad!
There were a few problems on their end...port problems....they had to get a repair crew with a bucket truck to remove "loads" from 2 or 3 locations.
Finally the dsl light on the modem came on.
Went to do the self install....could not get connectivity...either USB or ethernet.
Tried Saturday...finally called tech support.
Got a semi arrogant dude,spent close to an hour trying stuff.
Finally he/they concluded the modem was bad...and arranged to have a new one dropped off Monday.

NOTE....I suggested giving him info from the "Frontiernet DSL attendant" program...but he "pooh poohed" that.

I finally figured out that the default gateway address was wrong,changed it,and WHAM.....I had internet service!

THE BEST PART.....................................

The installer "X" called this morning(Monday) and offered to come back out and do a "clean-up"

They showed up and put a new interface box on the house,and did all the filtering out there.
We cleaned up some spaghetti wiring,and they put a new junction block in the basement.
I now have a dedicated pair of wires for dsl from the outside interface to the computer.(Yes...we used the yellow and black!)

Seems to working great!

This is a PPPoA connection,and i'm using the ethernet port on the modem.(Efficient 5200)

Comments:

Review by afxiator See Profile

• Location: Kearneysville,Jefferson,WV
Good ">30 times faster than my dial up, solid connection so far"
Bad "waited alot longer than install date, a new tech screwed up first install"
Overall "the only thing we can get besides $$$ satellite, so we''ll take it!"

Ordered it on 8/17 for it to be installed on 8/26. Got the Speedstream 5200 and line filters on the 27th. But was repeatedly told of a faulty linecard most likely at the DSLAM a mile or so down the road from us. Went all weekend without dsl made repeated calls and was told that the techs in my area are real backlogged so i had to exercise some serious patience (lol) But the followin monday morning the tech shows up, couldn't get the modem to respond, then changed out filters, another modem, made several calls to his office and finally after an hour or so we were online! Ran first speed test 835dl/105ul . A lil low for a 1mbit line so after a few tweak tests and knowledge from mostly broadbandreports.com I gotter up to around 940dl/110ul. Better. I think I may have an old line going from the house to the road cuz sometimes after a good rain i'll hear just a slight hum when i'm on the phone. If that's what's holding me back I may just get that fixed. All in all I can't complain since I'm out hear in the boonies near kearneysville, wv and I don't have to suffer through anymore slow webpage loading or avoiding large files cuz i don't want to tie up my phone for hours trying to get a couple songs The line has been solid so far, no down time. I'd give it a five star rating but the initial install was a headache. I'm glad i got it...no other complaints!

Comments:

Review by kiblet See Profile

• Location: Powell,Knox,TN
Good "Quick install time, good customer service, easy installation"
Bad "No DSL modem documentation provided"
Overall "Glad I ditched Comcast!"

I had Comcast High-Speed Internet for a couple of years, but when I recently moved I decided to give FrontierNet DSL a try. The price $55/month is a bundle that includes local phone service (with call waiting, caller id etc.).

Frontier sales customer service was first class; no phone menu hell, no waiting to speak to a CSR. It took 2 days from the order to receive a confirmation that DSL was available at my address. There was some confusion about when the line was to be active (since we were moving and wanted our phone service up as soon as possible). I ended up picking up the DSL modem from Frontier office myself.

I've got a plain vanilla P3 600MHz running Windows 2000 Professional. The DSL modem provided by FrontierNet is Efficient. The modem got DSL connection as soon as I powered it up. Unfortunately, the modem doesn't come with any kind of documentation, but instead a Windows CD that requires you to install FrontierNet software on your computer.

I figured out pretty quickly that the modem runs DHCP and has a configuration web page at 192.168.254.254. However, there's some kind of bug in either Efficient firmware or W2K, DHCP could not set the gateway address correctly. I configured TCP/IP on my PC and the modem manually, hooked the DSL modem into my Linksys router and was up and running in less than 20 minutes.

I also noticed that by default, FrontierNet install program configures the modem to have NO FIREWALL active. The install program also messes up Outlook account settings, which I had to manually revert. Luckily, FrontierNet is not blocking outgoing port 25 in my area yet, so I could continue to use my own SMTP service. Speed test yielded 856 Kbs down, 107 Kbs up, which is plenty fast for me.

UPDATE:

Frontier messed up my order; I ordered "regular" DSL, instead they signed me up for "DSL Max". They were quick to give me a $10/mo discount for 6 months to keep DSL Max, though... and I can switch to "regular" DSL after that.

I've had one outage in two months (lasted one afternoon).

UPDATE:

After my 6 months were up, I called to downgrade and guess what? I got ANOTHER 6 months at $10/mo discount... basically I'm getting DSL Max and paying for DSL Lite. Works for me! So far four outages, and only one has lasted more than 10-15 minutes.

Comments:

Review by Mellyone See Profile

• Location: Canby,Yellow Medicine,MN
Good "Works for xbox live pretty well, im satisfied"
Bad "Speed 800down 105 up <--Average 820up 110 down <----Max"
Overall "Average.. ISP.. price should be cheaper for those speeds though"

Satisfied.. but its not worth the 50$ a month, when ur not even getting 1mb downloads..

member for 10.6 years, 44 visits, last login: 10.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by KPRO See Profile

• Location: Webster,Monroe,NY
Good "Stable, fast, and trouble-free most of the time."
Bad "39.95"
Overall "29.95 would be a fair price, but I'm happy."

Advertised at 3000 kbps. After a few tweaks I ran some tests and have recorded 2466/322 kbps. Not bad. I'm happy.

Comments:

Review by sylen See Profile

• Location: Bullhead City,Mohave,AZ
Good "Reliable connection"
Bad "Slow upload"
Overall "better than cablevisions cable, but could be better"

All in all its acceptable, but a few things could be better.

I switched from cablevisions cable service, which got 1000/250, but was pretty much useless because from 10am-8pm the connection got enough packetloss to make it close to impossible to play games online. Also the line would die about twice a week for an hour or so. Frontiernet, allthough has 900/100 and i think it was a good trade-off for my previous cable isp because the line has no noticable packetloss, and near the same download speed. One other thing is that it takes them sooooooo long to come and install, it took cablevision only a few weeks.

The bottom line is, it is it is a stable isp, but it would be nice if theyupgraded the speeds. After having this line for 2 months i have had not one problem

---------

Connection dies about once a day, and i have to reboot the modem to get it to work again, other than that no complaints.

Comments:

Review by sol65 See Profile

• Location: Keeseville,Clinton,NY
Good "Great, knowledgeable tech support, dedicated install technicians"
Bad "None (other than 1 defective modem new out of the box, replaced in one day)"
Overall "Highly recommended"

I ordered DSL at $45/month as soon as it became available in my exchange. I had been putting up with Starband satellite at $75/month as it was my only alternative other than dialup, which is simply insufficient. Cable is not available on my street. In my town there is only one class of DSL offered (the faster of the two that Frontier offers). I believe that the advertised speeds are 1000/120 and my service exceeds this. Supplied equipment is Efficient Networks Speedstream 5200 on PPPoE. My service was the first DSL account activated in my town! I got a $35 one time promo credit without any long term contract requirement. I ordered service on a Tuesday, received the (unfortunately, defective) modem on Thursday and on the following Monday my line was activated exactly as scheduled. Although I was told I had a self-install, installers came to my home on the Monday anyway, verified that the proper lights lit up on the modem, and then telephoned me (I was at work) for further instruction. My computer had some very peculiar settings, attached hardware, and software from the Starband, so I told the installers that I'd be happy to remove all the Starband hardware and software myself and renew the IP address to finish the install when I arrived home. Installers left their pager number so that I could contact them directly with any issues that might develop. Due to defective modem (which installers had, to their credit, no way to identify as such), my computer could not "see" the modem upon completion of the install. Competent, friendly tech support helped figure this out, and the installers returned with a new modem first thing the next morning and all has been great since then. One of the best freebies is that they throw in a free dialup account that you can use when you travel or if your DSL modem goes down, and that dialup was very helpful that first evening, to fetch and send email before the defective modem was replaced.