Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by ZzEther See Profile

• Location: Williston,Williams,ND
Good "Tech supp. gives quick responses"
Bad "None since they were bought out"
Overall "'Bout time, finally the right bang for the buck now the pric is down $200"

When Frontier was taken over by Missouri Valley Communications the price dropped and packets take a different route now, out through the west coast instead of out through Minnesota and then New York. Service is sublime.

member for 12.1 years, 213 visits, last login: 4.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by jjmack See Profile

• Location: Monroe,Orange,NY
Good "Frontier DSL Faster then a modem when working"
Bad "Support poor and many outtages"
Overall "switched to Optonline"

Was not happy with Frontier Support they did finally update the old cisco 677 router and I was able to connect to my employer VPN network but it tooks months. Ther were many problems with the ATM hardware outtages were common. When Optonline became availible in Monroe I switched and am very happy with their service. I do not know about Optonline support because I never had a need to use it.

Comments:

Review by pauldodd4 See Profile

• Location: Arbuckle,Colusa,CA
Good "Normally good uptime and stability"
Bad "Had a bad month, but they fixed it"
Overall "Good and the only game in town where I live"

Update: They are blocking port 25 now, but as long as their SMTP server is reliable I guess it's not a problem. I would prefer to use the SMTP servers that come with my domains.

Update: Now I'm getting 2272/320 kbps.

I ordered 384/128, but I'm actually getting 1120/128. It's only been down once in about 3 years. The installation was quick and painless. The DSL line is split from the phone lines by the phone box, so filters all over my house are not required. It's dynamic IP, but dyndns.org handles that for me. The connection is PPPoA, not PPPoE, but I haven't seen any bad side effects from it. The DSL modem and router are one unit, a 3COM 812, so many more connection quality statistics are available than other installation I have seen with a DSL modem and separate Linksys router. They don't block port 25, so I can use other SMTP servers if I want to.

Comments:

Review by matvell See Profile

• Location: Churchville,Monroe,NY
Good "Decent service during non peak hours"
Bad "Horrid pings, poor download speeds during peak hours."
Overall "If you play games, stay FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR away from this service."

I found out I was eligible for Frontier DSL service back in August of 2002. I was very happy that I was finally able to have fast Internet service without having to rely on the cable company. I ordered their 3.0 mbps service which was 39.99 a month.

About two days after I ordered the service, I received a self install kit. I promptly installed the kit. It took only took a few minutes and I was all set to receive my DSL service. A couple days later my service was activated. When I first tried it I was very dissapointed in the download speeds. I was getting 30 kb/s tops from any place. I contaced tech support that night and it turns out they had set me up for their low end DSL service instead of there 3.0 mbps service. This problem was solved within a few hours and I was downloading at over 300 kb/s and I couldn't be happier. Shortly after this I decided to load up my favorite game and play around a bit. I noticed the ping times were much higher than the cable modem. About 35-40 ms higher than cable But they were still acceptable and I decided just to live with it. Ping times to most east coast servers ranged between 60-90 ms. With cable I'd get 20 - 50 ms.

Many months past till my first real problem with the service came. Around March, I started receiving huge ping spikes and for a few weeks any game was unplayable unless I played it at about 3 am. Lowest pings I'd see would be around 120 ms and on top of it they constantly spiked between 120 ms and 200 ms. Which made gaming complete hell. I contacted tech support many times regarding this issue. It was fixed after about three weeks after I complained.

All has been good again till about the beginning of September 2003. Ping times began to sky rocket again between the hours of 4 and 11 pm. Which would suggest that this ISP is way overloaded. Default gateway pings between these times were about 90 ms which is not good for games. During these periods I also saw a drastic reduction in my download speeds. Probably about 1/4 from what I'd normally see. I have sent numerous emails to tech support about the ping issues and they continue to say that 90 ms pings are fine to the first hop but I have talked to several people that do work for other DSL companies around the country and they all have told me that 90 ms is horrible and is way out of the normal range. Tech support tried issuing repair tickets and new modems, but nothing helped.

The same people also told me that I see these high ping times during these hours is because the ISP has way too many people on it and Frontier fails to upgrade their equipment to accomadate the increase in users. The problem with the pings is on their end, not mine. It will not be fixed till Frontier realizes there is a problem with there service. But I doubt this will happen because they just want my money. They dont care. As long as I can view cnn.com, they dont care how smooth my games are. I am just about fed up with this internet service and I am just about ready to give the cable company a call back so I can actually get some good internet service.

A few other things of note. Many times with my old modem I'd come home after a long day and find my internet service dead. I would have to reset the modem to get my service back. This isn't that big of a deal, but when you're doing it 2-3 times a week it gets kind of annoying.

The only area I feel frontier has done good in was increasing the upload speed to about 40 kb/s. The old speed was 15 kb/s. I was very happy to get this increase in speed.

If you just want a service to view web pages. This is a good internet service. If you like playing your games at 3 am, then it is also a decent service. But if you play games at normal times, DO NOT GET THIS SERVICE. You will regret it. It is by far the worst broadband service I have used for games. Get RoadRunner, it is WAY better for gaming.

member for 10.5 years, 28 visits, last login: 10.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by SkylarWilcox See Profile

• Location: Canton,Bradford,PA
Good "Connection is very reliable, except for a few short flickers; good speed"
Bad "Tech support puts you on hold for a while, initial setup problems"
Overall "Great DSL option for a small town like ours; worth the price of admission"

For a while we were stuck with Frontier's dial-up service. It's good, as far as dial-up goes, but I wanted more speed. So we ordered Frontier's DSL. Around five days later we got the self-installation kit (which is fine, because I know what I'm doing). It came with three DSL filters to apply to the telephones, to reduce static and increase speed and connection reliability. We had some problems at first, but after we disconnected the satellite receivers from the telephone line, everything worked fine. We have a steady 808k down/108k up connection. It runs fast, and is very reliable --- the only downtime we've had was when the lines were being repaired. At $45, and being the only broadband option in town, Frontier is well worth the price of admission, and a great choice for those who want a good fast Internet connection.

member for 10.6 years, 15 visits, last login: 10.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Chr0n1c See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Monroe,NY
Good "Was up and running quickly easy install."
Bad "Speeds are are a joke, sometimes on par with 56K."
Overall "Avoid their lowest Dsl package at all costs and go for the DSL MAX"

I purchased Dsl High speed from frontier because I was hearing many good things about them. Well the first day I had the connection it was nice. Download speeds were slow but I figured that it was because I only had the connection for a few hours. Well I am on my third day now and so far I have lost service once and I still only recieve a maximum download speed of 30K! To me that is not at all worth my $27. Years ago we had MSN dialup that got us 10K avg, now I get only 20K more with this "DsL highspeeds. I get lag spikes on aol instant messenger!, long page loads. " I am not happy at all with this service currently. I am waiting to hear from tec support to see what can be done about these laughable speeds. If all else fails then I will either go to roadrunner once again or "upgrade" to the Dsl max if it is what they actually say it is.

I hope this is just a freak and simple issue to correct with the service, other wise I will def not recommend their "High speed DSL" service to anyone I know.

UPDATE:

Everything is sorted otu I upgraded to Dsl max and if that isn't cutting it then I will go to Road Runner. I was shocked @ the 30K's because a friend of mine had first strike and he claimed to me his averaged 100-180K's unless he was BS'ing me idk. I went by what I heard. Anyhoo I get DSL max on tuesday. And everything is ok on the frontier front

Comments:

Review by Wolverine2 See Profile

• Location: Wilton,Sacramento,CA
Good "Installation 2 years ago went fine."
Bad "poor tech support, poor repair support, bounce you back in forth between the two"
Overall "A very poor ISP,"

1000/512 actual varies from 5/94 (I have the test report) to 900/460. Static IP (They said I would get better connection with static over dynamic). I am using the 3Com Router/Modem combo but they are trying to get me to switch to the speadstream (which is locked and will not allow me to open close any ports). Coverage in my area is really bad. Speed fluctuations are a daily occurance (200kbps +). Tech support continually blames repair for the problem, repair continually blames tech support in the mean time nothing gets fixed. I have been experienceing up to 15% Packet loss for over a month with no fix. I have had outages, missed appointments, speed problems, and packet loss for the duration of my time with them. If your looking for a browsing ISP then they might work for you. If you game or if you download/upload large files be prepared for a nightmare.

Worst of all they give you 10 different answers for every problem and string you along without fixing the problem. I have even increased my speed to the second highest they offer to include switching to business class DSL with no improvements. They have a tiered pricing system so I am paying more than double what the base plan is for an increase of 300Kbps UP only. By the way, I was told that this would probably solve my connectivity problems NOT!!!

member for 13.2 years, 354 visits, last login: 8.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by flyjfdi See Profile

• Location: Elk Grove,Sacramento,CA
Good "Smooth Talking Sales People, tell you what you want to hear"
Bad "They lie! Tell you what you want to hear to get the sale, then abandon you"
Overall "They are the only ones here, so im stuck."

Called Frontier in JULY to order DSL for my newly constructed house, told them that I would be moving in on 9/11/03. Asked that my DSL line be ready to use since I work 200 miles from my new house and dont want to have to drive to work when I can telecommute. I was promised PROFUSELY that no problem, you live in a state of the art new development with Fiber Optic lines etc, you will have NO PROBLEMS with your DSL and that it would be ready.

Turns out, they don't have DSL in the area and wont for at least another 30 days, or so they claim. So for the next 4 weeks, I get the priveledge of driving 400 miles a day to work because Frontier lied. I asked them to give me some sort of service credit for their bait and switch techniques, instead I got the usual "Im sorry sir, there isnt anything we can do".

Avoid these guys like the plague if you live in a brand new development, they will sell you everything you want, and then leave you without any broadband in the cold.

Comments:

Review by Justang See Profile

• Location: Brooklet,Bulloch,GA
Good "Decent downloads and webpage loads and always working"
Bad "Packet loss and Duplicate counts destroy online gaming."
Overall "Good for anyone wanting internet speed but bad for online gamers"

I have had adsl for a year now and pretty much got it when it was first available for my area. Its $50 a month and I had to buy my own modem which was $150 but at least they hooked up the adsl for us for free. Adsl is always on and works every single day and never fails to load a webpage or download files. It downloads on average 40kbps which is decent but should be around 60-80 which it rarely is. The dsl icon claims 6144/640 connection but really isnt (It prolly means its what it can handle), I've done mutiple speed test and can confirm it will at least be 512/128 which bulloch.net claims but usualy is much higher like 800-1300/300-450. My biggest complaint has to be the routing though. I am a gamer and a smooth connection is a must and if you are a gamer like 43% of adsl owners are you will NOT want bulloch.net. I ping a fair 80-100 ping on any server but its the packet loss and something called Duplicate count (Ping will report duplicate and damaged packets. Duplicate packets should never occur, and seem to be caused by inappropriate link-level retransmissions. Duplicates may occur in many situations and are rarely (if ever) a good sign) This came from the ping manual which explains everyting in detail about ping and packets. Let me explain if you don't understand the promblems of online gaming. Lets take for example the popular game Quake 3. You are playing with nice smooth gameplay until you can't move and the game freezes up for 1-5 secs every 2 minutes you are going to die. Or your firing your weopon and all of a sudden your sliding left or right and still firing at the wall killing yourself. This is because of packet loss and duplicate counts. Bottom line is if Bulloch.net fixed their routing they would have be A+ isp but they seem for not understand of fail to care about gamers and packet loss/routing issues.

member for 10.6 years, 16 visits, last login: 10.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by sam7ayes See Profile

• Location: Webster,Monroe,NY
Good "very very stable ! very fast"
Bad "costomer service and tech support are very very lazy, they need to do some improvment, i had to wait 21 days because of lazyness"
Overall "the only real local DSL provider so i am still with them ....."

had a very very bad experience with Frontier , regarding DSL and phone line is a very very bad drama ,,,,,,, lazyness and negligence are the factor of this experience ....

Frontier offers the best service in the area but i am really not a happy camper regarding costomer service ,,,,,,,,, need improvment .....

member for 11.7 years, 103 visits, last login: 8.3 years ago