Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by joephp See Profile

• Location: Honeoye,Ontario,NY
Good "speed is good, no down-time..yet!"
Bad "took 3 years to get the CO lit-up"
Overall "I am happy with the service"

I will review, this review of Frontier DSL, in a couple months as a follow-up. I have only had the DSL for a month and there is not an option for cable in this area (cow country). The advertised speeds are 3mb/384kb. My testing shows anywhere from 2mb to about 2.4mb down and a steady 300kb up, depending on if I test a west or east coast server. The pings are very good, and as of yet we haven't had any outages. The people I dealt with pre-sale were friendly and helpful. Although, I did let them know if they didn't expedite getting DSL in the CO, that I would put an order in for a Frac-"T" (256/256 T) which I think sped up the process! :~)
The Tech jargon:
1) DSL-Max 3mb advertised,
2) $39.95/month
3) NO option for static I.P.at CO
4) NO option for business class at CO
5) Friendly F.A.P. (my opinion)
6) block port 25
7) Efficient Networks 5200 modem plus 5 filters supplied
8) SOHO network with small web server
9) Installation- plug in filter, connect modem, connect router, power on--- surf the net!
As a whole I am pleased with the service.
joephp
p.s.- distance to CO approx. 7500 feet.

member for 10.3 years, 16 visits, last login: 10.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by matt266 See Profile

• Location: Bluefield,Mercer,WV
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Had trouble From the start. Connection was so bad couldnt do anything."
Overall "Will never use this company again. Get Comcast Way Better"

I was given the run around on the phone. Promised was supposed to be fixed. never was. Have to deal with undertrained technican. Was nice guy.But couldnt fix it.Thats what he said. He no idea what was wrong. I tried to help was treated lik
Had a comple lack of internet and pcs. Other than web browser coming up. thats there limits.

The customer shuldnt be penalized 40 a month is lot money to just hand out for dial up. And your on dsl
They techs and people here are nice people. Just need to progresss and learn more as the internet grows.

Their is such a lack of whats needed.

In the end i was charged for a service i never got. it was worse than dial up.

Customer service is horrible. and Tried lying to get me just hang up forget it.

In the end customer reprensitive Agreed that i was lied to.

But not refund money because of innaccurate reports of field tech. Instead putting i had problem he covered himself. And cost me service and money.

Im a honest person. But was treated dishonestly by this company.

I

Comments:

Review by bigsandy See Profile

• Location: Mcgregor,Aitkin,MN
Good "Better than dial up and more reliable than Direct Way and cheaper than DW."
Bad "Nothing yet.. and hope it stays that way...."
Overall "Tests thus far very favorable.. but not as fast as cable (Houston Road Runner) and if we had cable would drop DSL.."
(ratings well above consensus)

Ran several tests and all of them exceeded Frontiers specs. Have been
satisfied thus far .. The only comparison re. broadband that I
have experience with is DirectWay.. The reason for dumping
DW is that they provided very poor service and even poorer tech
support. Had a very hard time understanding the Indian tech support
types.. and the wait time was extensive.. example: my fully charged
cordless phone died on me while waiting for someone to help me with my
problem..

The only issue that I have with Frontier right now is that they do not
provide binaries on the newsgroups.. Right now this is not a major issue
but will wait and see what they intend to do re. binaries.. Will
continue with Frontier into next year at which time will check out Wild
Blue.. They intend to launch in July (they said that before) and will be
soliciting customers in the fall ... As I understand it.. the cost of
installation (two way) is 300 dollars.. they provide the dish and
modem.. Monthly charge is $50.

But I digress..

Bob Hager

Comments:

Review by mhlvrs See Profile

• Location: Alturas,Modoc,CA
Good "Quick Install - NO PPPoE (modem stores passwords)"
Bad "Cannot prequal - a tech must come out 1st"
Overall "Not any other providers"

Okay here's the scoop....I dropped Frontier back in Jan. because they were blocking port 69; their so called Tech Support said that they were not....basically a Tech in Sacramento took it upon himself to block that port and Sacramento feeds the internet to Alturas....So now it's May I need port 69 so I call Frontier and let them know that I need port 69 and ask if it is still blocked...they say NO...So I reorder DSL from Frontier (HDO runs a proxy server and it block's java a php scripts from displaying correctly; even EBAY doesn't work correctly on HDO)...I get it an sure enough port 69 is blocked...so I call the techies and they say oh yeah we blocked it on all servers....AFTER I signed up and AFTER I asked them if it was un blocked!!!

But, the choices are very limited here so it's them or nothing.

All in all, I think there okay - A little expensive for the quality of service.

Comments:

Review by grgeiger See Profile

• Location: Elcho,Langlade,WI
Good "24 hour tech support, down times and network problems seem to be resolved in a decent amount of time, speed is as advertised"
Bad "Some ICMP ports are blocked, Binary Newsgroups have been removed, after hours and weekend tech support means long waits on hold"
Overall "Service is reliable, downtime is minimal, price seems quite high, Only tech support can log into your DSL/Modem and router"

My Frontier Business Class DSL is wonderful for my area. I am getting the speed as outlined in my contract, downtimes are quite limited. The longest outage I ever had with this service was about 5 to 6 hours in a period of a 16 to 18 months. Tech support is available 24/7 (even on Christmas).. I found on several occasions, I had to wait on hold for over an hour to speak to customer service. The extremely long wait times are usually on weekends during the evening. However, during normal business hours, I am able to speak to a tech support person usually within a few minutes.

The price of this DSL is quite expensive. I live in a remote area, it is very rare that DSL is available in such a remote area. This is probably the reason for the high price.

I am quite upset Frontier recently blocked binary newsgroups. (text newsgroups still available). I am not happy with the fact that Frontier blocks some ICMP packets and various port numbers despite that I have a business class account. The phone book advertisment mentions "No Blocked Ports" for business class customers.

I have been unable to use TFTP for almost a year because port 69 has been blocked.

I am provided a Speedstream DSL Modem/4 Port router with my service. In order to set up port forwarding, or change any type of Configuration.. You need to call tech support. I am not provided with the login and password for my router. It doesn't matter to me WHO sets up my router, and at least Frontier is responsible if the router isn't set up correctly.

I give my service from Frontier a good score. On a scale of 1 to 5, I probably rate the service a 4. The only disadvantages, are blocked ports, and binary newsgroups no longer offered.

Comments:

Review by KBeavers See Profile

• Location: Petersburg,Grant,WV
Good "Only highspeed ISP in the area"
Bad "Ridiculously slow speeds"
Overall "I wish I had another ISP in this area"

For the money I'm paying, ping rates slower than dialup are unacceptable. Service was also dropping every week until recently, a problem I suppose was fixed. The program I use the most averages 200 ping with dialup. My DSL bounces from 80 (not too bad) to 900 at all times. Awful. Show me another ISP and I'm gone. Utterly attrocious, and from the reviews I've read about my area calling tech isn't gonna help since all the local customers are on one line.

member for 10.4 years, 33 visits, last login: 10.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by stinkywea See Profile

• Location: Bluefield,Mercer,WV
Good "Speed delievered as promised"
Bad "tech support and infra-structure not the best in my area"
Overall "cheaper (and slower) than cable, but offered where cable access isn't always there"

Ordered the Frontier DSL Max 1.5/256, switched from comcast cable to Frontier DSL because Comcast kept saying one price on their website and tech support, but the bill kept having another price. Service is overall good...there are some issues with the infra-structure in my neighborhood....possible OLD (1960's) lines running to the house, but pleasant and professional telephone repair techs, offered speedstream 5200 router, connection is PPPoA....I would give it a 3.75/5.00 overall rating

Comments:

Review by technogal8 See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Monroe,NY
Good "can't think of any."
Bad "DSL too slow, they eliminated newsgroups"
Overall "I don't recommend Frontier."

I live 1.49 miles from the CO. I have very slow speed most of the time. I have no idea why I pay for the DSL Max, and I have terrible service. I am definitely getting ripped off, I believe. I also live very, very close to Rochester,NY so there should be no reason for the slowness.
Now, they are getting rid of newsgroups...hmmmm.
============================================
2004-03-11 10:03:43 EST: 340 / 321
2004-03-11 16:25:33 EST: 337 / 320
========

member for 10.6 years, 14 visits, last login: 10.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by dustyjay See Profile

• Location: Riddle,Douglas,OR
Good "Quick order to live, solid uninterupted signal, no downtime yet, speed real close to promised"
Bad "tech support is a little shakey"
Overall "good deal with no problems. easy to install. worth the money"

I ordered Frontiernet dsl on 10/16 and I was live online on 10/21. I have a 1 meg dn/128k up service. I get real close to that with fantastic throughput. I had a little trouble getting my signal in the first place. turned out to be electrial interferance from household wiring. after fixing that I was good to go. My price including all the extras with my phone line is the same as I had MSN DSL. Only difference is I get 30 minutes Long Distance here.

Overall I am very pleased so far and would recommend Frontiernet to anyone.

3/11/04

I had to get a new account from Frontier Telephone. Upon doing so I had to get a new DSL Account as well. It took a day and a half from order to live. That included recieving the new Modem. I have a 1 meg account I get a solid 976K through put I guess I wont bitch about that at all.

Comments:

Review by ttcRose See Profile

• Location: Elko,Elko,NV
Good "Good customer service, easy install, came on line with no problems."
Bad "I waited years for DSL to be available in my area."
Overall "It sure beats dial up and actually will cost less!"

After I first ordered DSL and got a phone call saying some field work needed to be done I was so disappointed. I thought it would be like the last time I tried to order it and my phone line didn't qualify. They assured me that they were working on it, and lo and behold, a few days later they called with an install date! I was live eleven days after placing my order! Since I dumped my second phone line and went with Frontier's "Choices" package, I will actually end up paying less, especially since I get two free months of DSL. I tested out at 1027/108, which isn't exactly blazing, but after dealing with 28.8kbps for years I'll take it!