Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by SkylarWilcox See Profile

• Location: Canton,Bradford,PA
Good "Connection is very reliable, except for a few short flickers; good speed"
Bad "Tech support puts you on hold for a while, initial setup problems"
Overall "Great DSL option for a small town like ours; worth the price of admission"

For a while we were stuck with Frontier's dial-up service. It's good, as far as dial-up goes, but I wanted more speed. So we ordered Frontier's DSL. Around five days later we got the self-installation kit (which is fine, because I know what I'm doing). It came with three DSL filters to apply to the telephones, to reduce static and increase speed and connection reliability. We had some problems at first, but after we disconnected the satellite receivers from the telephone line, everything worked fine. We have a steady 808k down/108k up connection. It runs fast, and is very reliable --- the only downtime we've had was when the lines were being repaired. At $45, and being the only broadband option in town, Frontier is well worth the price of admission, and a great choice for those who want a good fast Internet connection.

member for 10.9 years, 15 visits, last login: 10.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by Chr0n1c See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Monroe,NY
Good "Was up and running quickly easy install."
Bad "Speeds are are a joke, sometimes on par with 56K."
Overall "Avoid their lowest Dsl package at all costs and go for the DSL MAX"

I purchased Dsl High speed from frontier because I was hearing many good things about them. Well the first day I had the connection it was nice. Download speeds were slow but I figured that it was because I only had the connection for a few hours. Well I am on my third day now and so far I have lost service once and I still only recieve a maximum download speed of 30K! To me that is not at all worth my $27. Years ago we had MSN dialup that got us 10K avg, now I get only 20K more with this "DsL highspeeds. I get lag spikes on aol instant messenger!, long page loads. " I am not happy at all with this service currently. I am waiting to hear from tec support to see what can be done about these laughable speeds. If all else fails then I will either go to roadrunner once again or "upgrade" to the Dsl max if it is what they actually say it is.

I hope this is just a freak and simple issue to correct with the service, other wise I will def not recommend their "High speed DSL" service to anyone I know.

UPDATE:

Everything is sorted otu I upgraded to Dsl max and if that isn't cutting it then I will go to Road Runner. I was shocked @ the 30K's because a friend of mine had first strike and he claimed to me his averaged 100-180K's unless he was BS'ing me idk. I went by what I heard. Anyhoo I get DSL max on tuesday. And everything is ok on the frontier front

Comments:

Review by Wolverine2 See Profile

• Location: Wilton,Sacramento,CA
Good "Installation 2 years ago went fine."
Bad "poor tech support, poor repair support, bounce you back in forth between the two"
Overall "A very poor ISP,"

1000/512 actual varies from 5/94 (I have the test report) to 900/460. Static IP (They said I would get better connection with static over dynamic). I am using the 3Com Router/Modem combo but they are trying to get me to switch to the speadstream (which is locked and will not allow me to open close any ports). Coverage in my area is really bad. Speed fluctuations are a daily occurance (200kbps +). Tech support continually blames repair for the problem, repair continually blames tech support in the mean time nothing gets fixed. I have been experienceing up to 15% Packet loss for over a month with no fix. I have had outages, missed appointments, speed problems, and packet loss for the duration of my time with them. If your looking for a browsing ISP then they might work for you. If you game or if you download/upload large files be prepared for a nightmare.

Worst of all they give you 10 different answers for every problem and string you along without fixing the problem. I have even increased my speed to the second highest they offer to include switching to business class DSL with no improvements. They have a tiered pricing system so I am paying more than double what the base plan is for an increase of 300Kbps UP only. By the way, I was told that this would probably solve my connectivity problems NOT!!!

member for 13.4 years, 354 visits, last login: 9.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by flyjfdi See Profile

• Location: Elk Grove,Sacramento,CA
Good "Smooth Talking Sales People, tell you what you want to hear"
Bad "They lie! Tell you what you want to hear to get the sale, then abandon you"
Overall "They are the only ones here, so im stuck."

Called Frontier in JULY to order DSL for my newly constructed house, told them that I would be moving in on 9/11/03. Asked that my DSL line be ready to use since I work 200 miles from my new house and dont want to have to drive to work when I can telecommute. I was promised PROFUSELY that no problem, you live in a state of the art new development with Fiber Optic lines etc, you will have NO PROBLEMS with your DSL and that it would be ready.

Turns out, they don't have DSL in the area and wont for at least another 30 days, or so they claim. So for the next 4 weeks, I get the priveledge of driving 400 miles a day to work because Frontier lied. I asked them to give me some sort of service credit for their bait and switch techniques, instead I got the usual "Im sorry sir, there isnt anything we can do".

Avoid these guys like the plague if you live in a brand new development, they will sell you everything you want, and then leave you without any broadband in the cold.

Comments:

Review by Justang See Profile

• Location: Brooklet,Bulloch,GA
Good "Decent downloads and webpage loads and always working"
Bad "Packet loss and Duplicate counts destroy online gaming."
Overall "Good for anyone wanting internet speed but bad for online gamers"

I have had adsl for a year now and pretty much got it when it was first available for my area. Its $50 a month and I had to buy my own modem which was $150 but at least they hooked up the adsl for us for free. Adsl is always on and works every single day and never fails to load a webpage or download files. It downloads on average 40kbps which is decent but should be around 60-80 which it rarely is. The dsl icon claims 6144/640 connection but really isnt (It prolly means its what it can handle), I've done mutiple speed test and can confirm it will at least be 512/128 which bulloch.net claims but usualy is much higher like 800-1300/300-450. My biggest complaint has to be the routing though. I am a gamer and a smooth connection is a must and if you are a gamer like 43% of adsl owners are you will NOT want bulloch.net. I ping a fair 80-100 ping on any server but its the packet loss and something called Duplicate count (Ping will report duplicate and damaged packets. Duplicate packets should never occur, and seem to be caused by inappropriate link-level retransmissions. Duplicates may occur in many situations and are rarely (if ever) a good sign) This came from the ping manual which explains everyting in detail about ping and packets. Let me explain if you don't understand the promblems of online gaming. Lets take for example the popular game Quake 3. You are playing with nice smooth gameplay until you can't move and the game freezes up for 1-5 secs every 2 minutes you are going to die. Or your firing your weopon and all of a sudden your sliding left or right and still firing at the wall killing yourself. This is because of packet loss and duplicate counts. Bottom line is if Bulloch.net fixed their routing they would have be A+ isp but they seem for not understand of fail to care about gamers and packet loss/routing issues.

member for 10.8 years, 16 visits, last login: 10.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by sam7ayes See Profile

• Location: Webster,Monroe,NY
Good "very very stable ! very fast"
Bad "costomer service and tech support are very very lazy, they need to do some improvment, i had to wait 21 days because of lazyness"
Overall "the only real local DSL provider so i am still with them ....."

had a very very bad experience with Frontier , regarding DSL and phone line is a very very bad drama ,,,,,,, lazyness and negligence are the factor of this experience ....

Frontier offers the best service in the area but i am really not a happy camper regarding costomer service ,,,,,,,,, need improvment .....

member for 11.9 years, 103 visits, last login: 8.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by MRobinson5 See Profile

• Location: Capon Bridge,Hampshire,WV
Good "Faster than dial up"
Bad "Constant problems"
Overall "If I had another choice at half the speed, I'd take it."

My experience with Frontiernet, and Citlink before them, has been a year and a half of constant frustrations.

The only thing that's gone right is I received my modem 3 days after I ordered the service, even though it was 3 weeks before I was connected. Since then, it's been slow service, constant page time outs, and unreturned phone calls. I call with a problem and I get a response saying it will be fixed by 5:00 usually two days later. Nothing happens, no phone calls, service tickets that show complete, etc. I have had service visit me at least 6 times and they have not fixed anything at this point. I've talked to everyone from their tech support to the NOC supervisor, to the guy that does line tests locally.

To compound the aggravation, the monthly fee we pay I believe is about the highest in their service area.

Take for instance the last problem. On July 2 the service went down completely. Prior to that I had been getting around 300 down and about the same up. When the service came back up that night, I was at 29 down and practically nothing up. They've got me back up into the 200 down range, but page timeouts are so frustrating I'm about to toss the modem out the window. If I run a tracert for an hour, I'll get over 70 total packet losses to my first hop, and at least that many to the second hop, all part of frontier's network. From there to Rochester I lose 50-60 packets at each hop. And have maximum pings in the 3000+ range.

I've tweaked until I'm blue in the face, taken more vacation to be here and call them when maybe someone is around to talk to, and waited on hold for tech support up to 45 minutes 9 times just this month.

It makes me mad typing this, that's how I feel about it. If I had another choice, their modem would be in the street.

I forgot to add we have 384/128, though I got a letter a couple months ago saying we were going to 1000/128. The local folks laughed at me when I asked them when that would happen. According to them, our PPPoE network of around 200 users is the only one in their entire system with the Stormport modem, but PPPoA is coming "soon".

member for 12.2 years, 321 visits, last login: 6.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by Captain_Avat See Profile

• Location: Kearneysville,Jefferson,WV
Good "Very Reliable"
Bad "A bit pricey, but heck, they have virtually no competition."
Overall "Best of two choices in this county."

I first was made aware that DSL was available by a friend at church (who happens to work at the phone comapny. Up till then we were eagerly wating for Cable Internet to arrive. However when Adelphia bought out GCS Communications here in Jefferson county, WV they had stopped 1 mile from my house and had no plans to come into our neighborhood. (Boy am I glad we didn't get their service!).(In 2001 I lived near Shannondale up on the Blue Ridge Mountains.)

At that time we were still "Citlink" and I called the local office and placed an order. The cheapest service was 384/128 for $50. Yeah, kinda pricy compared to what I've seen around the country, but it sure beat dial up!

The order was placed on the 6th of August 2001 and I received the 3Com 812 modem and filters about September 1st. The install date of 6 Sept. came and went and the new live date was Sept. 10th. No modem lock, rats, so I called the support line on the 11th of September and he said the line was turned on. It was a memorable call because it was from the support guy I learned about the terrorist attacks in NY and DC. A phone guy came out the next day and he ascertained that the coils had not been removed. The coils came out the next day and voila! DSL heaven!

The service has been very reliable. The outages have been very infrequent, maybe 10 of the past 15 months and they last maybe 30 minutes.

When I moved from my old house to this one back in May of 2002 the DSL service was switched to the new house was nearly instantaneous. That was a pleasant suprise.

Interestingly enough my modem lost its lock last Friday and I had to reset it to get the connection back. Boy was I suprised to see my connection speed had jumped from 384/128 to 1120/128 !!! What my friend at church has told me is that it may be that Frontier is upgrading some of its Citlink Accounts to bring them in line with the service that Frontier offered through "Lightning Link". 1mb for $50 sure is a better value then 384!

30 July 2003: Still going strong. Had one downtime a few weeks ago, lasted maybe 2 hours from Noon to 2pm. Other than that no complaints.

member for 12.8 years, 1069 visits, last login: 7.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by matrix251 See Profile

• Location: East Earl,Lancaster,PA
Good "Very relaible in terms of speed and connection"
Bad "Could be faster for the price"
Overall "Love the reliability and the speed (avg 850 down 110 up)"

Have had no problems since installation in Frbruary of this year. I pay about $45.00 a month and get speeds of 850 down and 110 up. Not the fastest obviously but the service is extremely reliable. Will never go back to dial up and since cable is unavailable in this area DSL is the ticket.

member for 11.3 years, 161 visits, last login: 8.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by Alan1087 See Profile

• Location: Rio Vista,Solano,CA
Good "High DL speed, Moderate upload speed, good ping times."
Bad "Speedstream 5200: Cant figure out port forwarding"
Overall "Great service in CA."

I am very pleased with my Frontiernet DSL. I decided to buy it, because my fractional T1 line i was on was horrid. It had speeds up to 1.5 mbps, but 1.1 was the highest i ever got. Average was high 200s. Lowest was 1. ONE. Pings, very bouncy, some days in the 2000s. So, when i started looking at dsl, frontier was the only available ISP in my area, so i decided to look into it. Advertised speed was 1024/256 @ $49 a month (Comes with caller ID for phones too :P), and im getting 1700/275, with no DL accelerators. Pings are usually between 30-60, great for gaming. Only complaint is about the modem they give you...tough to configure for port forwarding, I havent figured it out yet.

Other reviews talk about poor speed, ping itmes, etc...but I've had no trouble. If your in northern california and need dsl, I'd advise frontier.

member for 11.1 years, 17 visits, last login: 10.5 years ago