Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by sam7ayes See Profile

• Location: Webster,Monroe,NY
Good "very very stable ! very fast"
Bad "costomer service and tech support are very very lazy, they need to do some improvment, i had to wait 21 days because of lazyness"
Overall "the only real local DSL provider so i am still with them ....."

had a very very bad experience with Frontier , regarding DSL and phone line is a very very bad drama ,,,,,,, lazyness and negligence are the factor of this experience ....

Frontier offers the best service in the area but i am really not a happy camper regarding costomer service ,,,,,,,,, need improvment .....

member for 11.7 years, 103 visits, last login: 8.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by MRobinson5 See Profile

• Location: Capon Bridge,Hampshire,WV
Good "Faster than dial up"
Bad "Constant problems"
Overall "If I had another choice at half the speed, I'd take it."

My experience with Frontiernet, and Citlink before them, has been a year and a half of constant frustrations.

The only thing that's gone right is I received my modem 3 days after I ordered the service, even though it was 3 weeks before I was connected. Since then, it's been slow service, constant page time outs, and unreturned phone calls. I call with a problem and I get a response saying it will be fixed by 5:00 usually two days later. Nothing happens, no phone calls, service tickets that show complete, etc. I have had service visit me at least 6 times and they have not fixed anything at this point. I've talked to everyone from their tech support to the NOC supervisor, to the guy that does line tests locally.

To compound the aggravation, the monthly fee we pay I believe is about the highest in their service area.

Take for instance the last problem. On July 2 the service went down completely. Prior to that I had been getting around 300 down and about the same up. When the service came back up that night, I was at 29 down and practically nothing up. They've got me back up into the 200 down range, but page timeouts are so frustrating I'm about to toss the modem out the window. If I run a tracert for an hour, I'll get over 70 total packet losses to my first hop, and at least that many to the second hop, all part of frontier's network. From there to Rochester I lose 50-60 packets at each hop. And have maximum pings in the 3000+ range.

I've tweaked until I'm blue in the face, taken more vacation to be here and call them when maybe someone is around to talk to, and waited on hold for tech support up to 45 minutes 9 times just this month.

It makes me mad typing this, that's how I feel about it. If I had another choice, their modem would be in the street.

I forgot to add we have 384/128, though I got a letter a couple months ago saying we were going to 1000/128. The local folks laughed at me when I asked them when that would happen. According to them, our PPPoE network of around 200 users is the only one in their entire system with the Stormport modem, but PPPoA is coming "soon".

member for 11.9 years, 321 visits, last login: 6.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Captain_Avat See Profile

• Location: Kearneysville,Jefferson,WV
Good "Very Reliable"
Bad "A bit pricey, but heck, they have virtually no competition."
Overall "Best of two choices in this county."

I first was made aware that DSL was available by a friend at church (who happens to work at the phone comapny. Up till then we were eagerly wating for Cable Internet to arrive. However when Adelphia bought out GCS Communications here in Jefferson county, WV they had stopped 1 mile from my house and had no plans to come into our neighborhood. (Boy am I glad we didn't get their service!).(In 2001 I lived near Shannondale up on the Blue Ridge Mountains.)

At that time we were still "Citlink" and I called the local office and placed an order. The cheapest service was 384/128 for $50. Yeah, kinda pricy compared to what I've seen around the country, but it sure beat dial up!

The order was placed on the 6th of August 2001 and I received the 3Com 812 modem and filters about September 1st. The install date of 6 Sept. came and went and the new live date was Sept. 10th. No modem lock, rats, so I called the support line on the 11th of September and he said the line was turned on. It was a memorable call because it was from the support guy I learned about the terrorist attacks in NY and DC. A phone guy came out the next day and he ascertained that the coils had not been removed. The coils came out the next day and voila! DSL heaven!

The service has been very reliable. The outages have been very infrequent, maybe 10 of the past 15 months and they last maybe 30 minutes.

When I moved from my old house to this one back in May of 2002 the DSL service was switched to the new house was nearly instantaneous. That was a pleasant suprise.

Interestingly enough my modem lost its lock last Friday and I had to reset it to get the connection back. Boy was I suprised to see my connection speed had jumped from 384/128 to 1120/128 !!! What my friend at church has told me is that it may be that Frontier is upgrading some of its Citlink Accounts to bring them in line with the service that Frontier offered through "Lightning Link". 1mb for $50 sure is a better value then 384!

30 July 2003: Still going strong. Had one downtime a few weeks ago, lasted maybe 2 hours from Noon to 2pm. Other than that no complaints.

member for 12.6 years, 1069 visits, last login: 6.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by matrix251 See Profile

• Location: East Earl,Lancaster,PA
Good "Very relaible in terms of speed and connection"
Bad "Could be faster for the price"
Overall "Love the reliability and the speed (avg 850 down 110 up)"

Have had no problems since installation in Frbruary of this year. I pay about $45.00 a month and get speeds of 850 down and 110 up. Not the fastest obviously but the service is extremely reliable. Will never go back to dial up and since cable is unavailable in this area DSL is the ticket.

Comments:

Review by Alan1087 See Profile

• Location: Rio Vista,Solano,CA
Good "High DL speed, Moderate upload speed, good ping times."
Bad "Speedstream 5200: Cant figure out port forwarding"
Overall "Great service in CA."

I am very pleased with my Frontiernet DSL. I decided to buy it, because my fractional T1 line i was on was horrid. It had speeds up to 1.5 mbps, but 1.1 was the highest i ever got. Average was high 200s. Lowest was 1. ONE. Pings, very bouncy, some days in the 2000s. So, when i started looking at dsl, frontier was the only available ISP in my area, so i decided to look into it. Advertised speed was 1024/256 @ $49 a month (Comes with caller ID for phones too :P), and im getting 1700/275, with no DL accelerators. Pings are usually between 30-60, great for gaming. Only complaint is about the modem they give you...tough to configure for port forwarding, I havent figured it out yet.

Other reviews talk about poor speed, ping itmes, etc...but I've had no trouble. If your in northern california and need dsl, I'd advise frontier.

member for 10.8 years, 17 visits, last login: 10.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by LiQuID bOY See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Monroe,NY
Good "Ther service is very reliable! The speed for the price is very good!"
Bad "None that come to mind.."
Overall "Time Warner Roadrunner is the best!"

Tme Warner Roadrunner is an affordable,reliable and fast connection.

member for 13.3 years, 846 visits, last login: 4.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by jsilveus See Profile

• Location: Jerseyville,Jersey,IL
Good "None"
Bad "Unreliable, SLOW, expensive. Told to upgrade if I want better!"

Frequently getting down time, having to wait for the problem(s) to get fixed on their end to get online. Speeds slower than dial-up fairly regularly during peek hours. Was told by their rep if I wanted higher speeds I would need to upgrade my service! Was told 1.5Mbps download when ordered, getting as low as 13K, averaging 250K, peaks on rare occasion around 800K. Lied to by their reps, and told to "UPGRADE" if I want to get what I should be getting. Are they run by gangsters?!?! If I wanted unreliable dial-up connections, they are available for FREE. I want what I paid for, not to pay more and MAYBE get it.

0/5 stars, Jerseyville, IL

Comments:

Review by house See Profile

• Location: Hamlin,Monroe,NY
Good "Easy Install"
Bad "Slow News server access. Upload speeds could be better."
Overall "Terrific unless you do a lot of uploading."

04/24/03 The DSL has been working great, but I've finally gotten tired of the horrible upload speed (it should be 128, I'm getting 109). I'm not concerned with only getting 109 - it's the 128 that bothers me. The only way to get a higher upload speed is to go with one of Frontier's business packages and they're too expensive for me. I'm going back to Road Runner. The download speed is a little slower but I've always gotten great upload speed the two times I had it in the past.

I'll admit that they improved their newsgroup access - unlimited number of connections from a single IP and no limits on download speed (no quotas either). Unfortunately, that's not enough to keep me with them.

11/11/02 It's been about a year since I had DSL reinstalled. My download speed has been keeping at a pretty consistent 2300-2400 kbps. Upload speeds are also consistent at 110 kbps. That's my only real complaint. The upload speed for the cable service in my area is 384 kbps (but with a slower download). The service has been pretty reliable. There have been a few outages in my area but they haven't lasted for long and I've always been able to use my Frontier dialup connection as a backup. I've never had to actually speak with a tech because every time I've called in about losing my connection, they've had a phone message up. Overall, I'm very satisfied.

11/30/01 For reasons I won't go into, I decided to give Frontier another shot. They've gotten rid of that stupid dashboard which seems to have made the connection a little more stable.

They promised me that I would be activated in 6 business days, but everything was up and working in 5. Even though I still had my Cisco 677 router (they never sent me the packaging to return it from last time), they sent me a Speedstream 5667. My only complaint about the setup is that the kit included a crossover cable and a standard cat-5 cable, and the instructions never explained which one to use (the standard - the Cisco used a crossover).

I opened the account under the condition that Frontier Repair look at the line. I was told by customer service that repair would contact me, but no one ever did. However, the speed is a lot better than what I got before so they must have done something. The only problem I see is that, while my Roadrunner connection gets consistent speeds no matter which site I test it from (or what time of day), the Lightning Link speeds range anywhere from 160 kbps to 2600 kbps depending on where I test it (it should be 3000 kbps max). Everything seems to be moving ok, so I'm not too worried about it.

member for 12.6 years, 2735 visits, last login: 2.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by david14 See Profile

• Location: Statesboro,Bulloch,GA
  • Telco party Public Service Telephone Company
Good "fast when it works"
Bad "does not work most of the time"
Overall "it sucks"

had frontier dsl since march 7. self-installation was free and got 30 percent off for the first three months. It is fast when it wants to work which is about 1/5 of the time.I called tech support and the said the the modem they sent us was not compatible with thier central office. so they sent new modem and that still did not help.

Comments:

Review by Tainted See Profile

• Location: Pine Bush,Orange,NY
Good "Great if your a gamer."
Bad "Wish upload was higher then 128k."
Overall "RoadRunner is faster"

I called Feb 12th and was told I would receive the self install package Feb 20th. They have a deal right now where you pay $40 instead of $100 if you do self install. I received the package from UPS the day it was promised. I opened it up and there was an Efficient SpeedStream 5200 dsl modem. Hooked up the modem and line filters and was on within minutes. Advertised speed is 1mb/128k and I get around 850k/112k. The newsgroup is around 48 hour retention and almost all files are complete. If you only download 1 file at a time it is around 450kb speed and with multiple around 850kb. Only have had the service for a few days but no downtime so far. My ping is around 30-50 with no lag. Overall, switched from road runner to Frontier dsl cause latency was horrid, about 100-200 at non-peak hours. Im a happy gamer now with Frontier dsl.

UPDATE - 2/24/03 Running as smooth as when I got it. No down time, ping is still 30-50 and newsgroup is great as usual.

UPDATE- 9/21/03 switched back to rr in august and am loving it.

member for 11.1 years, 910 visits, last login: a few hours ago