Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by ttcRose See Profile

• Location: Elko,Elko,NV
Good "Good customer service, easy install, came on line with no problems."
Bad "I waited years for DSL to be available in my area."
Overall "It sure beats dial up and actually will cost less!"

After I first ordered DSL and got a phone call saying some field work needed to be done I was so disappointed. I thought it would be like the last time I tried to order it and my phone line didn't qualify. They assured me that they were working on it, and lo and behold, a few days later they called with an install date! I was live eleven days after placing my order! Since I dumped my second phone line and went with Frontier's "Choices" package, I will actually end up paying less, especially since I get two free months of DSL. I tested out at 1027/108, which isn't exactly blazing, but after dealing with 28.8kbps for years I'll take it!

Comments:

Review by Kaelan1 See Profile

• Location: Wilton,Sacramento,CA
Good "Easy installation"
Bad "Bad service, unwilling repair department, uninformed tech support, bad repair appointment scheduling, low line quality"
Overall "Avoid frontiernet like the plague"

We have had FrontierNet DSL for over a year. The cheapest plan they had available cost about $50/mo, so that's what we have.

Ordering and getting DSL installed was relatively easy, their repair people came out and helped us set everything up.

Originally we were given an internal DSL modem that we popped in a PCI slot. The card worked well, but eventually they phased those out and switched us to an external D-Link Router. That worked well too, but they phased that out and switched us to a SpeedStream 5200. It works fine too.

FrontierNet charges for static IPs, so I have a dynamic IP.

Overall, frontiernet's service is horrible. The tech support department is not very well informed, and every time we called I had to wait at least 10 if not 30 minutes on hold just to speak with a representative, and then spent 15 minutes giving them all my account information and going through their routine technical checks. ('clear your cache', 'reset the modem', etc.) Their repair, customer service, and tech support departments for some reason don't have a way to check each others' records and information, so pretty much any time I spoke with them they had to put me on hold while they called repair or customer service. Often, I would spend 15 minutes explaining my problem to a suprisingly competent tech support person, and then I would call back the next day and find out that almost none of what I told him made it into the records, and I'd have to explain it all again.

FrontierNet's email and internet service is acceptable. You get a few POP3 inboxes, and a simple webmail client. No Spam filtering; they used to have SpamAssassin installed and configured, which worked great, but for some reason they turned it off. No IMAP, unfortunately. Internet access is generally okay, except for a few oddities - they have ICMP and apparently outgoing SMTP blocked, which makes it impossible to ping or traceroute and means you have to use their mailservers for all outgoing mail. Apparently this is for 'virus reasons'.

For the last 6 months our connection has intermittently dropped out, and incoming packets are randomly corrupted to the point where images in web browsers will appear corrupted and internet games and radio streams are regularly disconnected, garbled, or crashed. Instead of being helpful, frontiernet was adamant that any problems were most definitely our fault, which resulted in us having our modem replaced three times. After I finally convinced them that the problem was not on our end, we spent weeks getting bounced around from department to department and being told that 'it'll be fixed real soon.' It's not fixed, and today I finally got a solid answer - they don't care.

FrontierNet is awful. I would switch providers, but no DSL provider will offer service out here, and according to SpeakEasy, FrontierNet doesn't offer any other providers access to their lines.

UPDATE: A while back, Frontiernet made us switch from the modems we had been given or had purchased (I paid $150 to buy a modem from them that had 4 ethernet ports) to the SpeedStream 5200's they were giving out. Well, last week my 5200 shorted out and would no longer work. (It failed its self-test at power-on.) Plugging in my old modem (A D-Link DSL504) gave me back my internet access, but Frontier doesn't support them anymore. Well, I got my replacement SpeedStream a few days ago. Guess what? It shorted out 15 minutes ago. I'm still on hold, and I already know what they're going to tell me once I finally get to talk to a tech.

UPDATE #2: FrontierNet has now not only blocked outgoing connections on port 25 (SMTP), but their mail servers now refuse to send any mail unless the from address is from one of their servers. I am now basically unable to send mail from anywhere but my citlink.net address, and thanks to citlink's wonderful (read: next to useless) 'spam filtering', that means I'll be getting even more spam at my citlink address than I already do, even though I paid for mail hosting with another company for this exact reason.

Comments:

Review by rscs See Profile

• Location: Montgomery,Orange,NY

I have been a Frontier Residential DSL customer for about 3 years now. Overall, the service was good and I never had any major problems. A few times when my connection went down, I called technical support only to find out that I knew of the problem before they did. When I tried to tell them it was definitely on their end, most technicians were dismissive and wanted me to play the reboot game. Of course, when they ask me what OS I am using and I reply "FreeBSD", most lose me there anyway.

My biggest complaint, however, is that Frontier has now started blocking connections to outgoing port 25 (SMTP) servers but their own. Since I run my own mail server, this is very frustrating. I don't want to relay through them, nor should I have to. This is yet another case of the Internet savvy being punished for the haphazardness of the uneducated user who just clicks around without thinking. Oh, there is a way around it -- pay them more money. You can upgrade to Business Class DSL starting at $95 a month plus a $299 installation fee for 512k down and 256k up. Yeah, right.

I think it's time to check out Road Runner. I'll get much better speeds for the same price, with no port blocking.

2004-03-02: Still putting up with Frontiernet -- one of these days I will keep my promise to switch to cable. For over two hours now, AT&T's network in New York City remains unreachable. This includes high profile sites like money.net, weightwatchers.com, smartmoney.com, everbank.com, nutrisystem.com, foxtons.com and part of priceline.com. All of these sites and many more are unreachable to Frontiernet users in my area. It may not directly be Frontiernet's problem -- it looks like the problem lies with Electric Lightwave (eli.net). However, I found out that Citizens Communications owns both Frontier and Electric Lightwave. Apparantly, I am the only user to have reported the problem (browsing to sites not on AT&T's New York network are fine, so maybe no one else noticed) and it doesn't look like it is getting high placement in the NOC queue. It shouldn't take over two hours to resolve a simple routing issue!

Comments:

Review by gahruev See Profile

• Location: Elk Grove,Sacramento,CA
Good "is available in my area, was pretty decent when was citlink.net (but still had outages)"
Bad "tech support low knowledge level. (some are good) slower up and down negotiated speeds than advertised. outages are too frequent"
Overall "cost is too high for service provided. Min Negotiated speeds are not met on a regular basis."

Initial set up was long and somewhat irritating as was told I must use a 3com 812 router (and purchase from them for $200) for their service. I already had my own routers, and 3com got out of the router biz. Did not like requirements, length of time to get my pair up. I did the setup myself and that went all right. Technical support is avail 24-7, so that is a good thing... but I do not find their technical support (in general) to be knowledgable in a variety of ways. Service is slower than what was advertised as the minimum negotiated bandwidth (up and down).

I do think down time is greater than the average ISP and the speed slower - but at least they are available 24-7 and in a rural area.

Comments:

Review by wantbetter See Profile

• Location: Alturas,Modoc,CA
Good "Fast when it works."
Bad "Count on it going out whenever it rains or snows."
Overall "Speed is fine. Reliblity is not."

Fairly new equipment here (Alturas) on the company side. Have been on their DSL for over a year now, and they can't find out why customers that go into the nearby junction box go down when it gets wet outside. If it rains or snows you can count on it going down. Customer service(?) is getting tight about giving credit for down time. Tech service(?) mostly wants to go through the "Let's tweek your computer" rutine. Waste of time to call either one. Better to call the local repair people. They are nice even if they can't find the problem.

Guess what, High Desert Online has high speed now for about $10 less and without using the phone lines. Hmmm.

Comments:

Review by StrikeEagle See Profile

• Location: Arbuckle,Colusa,CA
Good "When it works, the service is okay."
Bad "Poor service quality, network design, support, & e-mail service"

The latest in a long string of troubles with Frontiernet is that even though they are now blocking Port 25 to supposedly prevent spam from bouncing off of Frontiernet mail servers or through the Frontiernet network to other mail servers, Frontier remains on the BAN list at AOL. This results in ALL AOL bound mail being rejected by AOL servers. But, according to Frontier 'tech support' it's a minor issue as it only affect AOL bound traffic. HUH?!?!

The sad reality is that Frontier is the WORST ISP I've ever dealt with in my almost 15 years in the IT industry. But, I live in one of their little ghettos, so I'm stuck with Frontier and only Frontier if I want any kind of high speed Internet service.

Admittedly, the service did improve once they upgraded the Elk Grove backbone to a router that wasn’t running at 110% of rated capacity. (that figure is actually from Frontier technicians) But, when coupled with the horrendous design that they have for their mail, DNS and DHCP services, it breaks down not to mean very much. Then add in the fact that there are only TWO field technicians who can even spell DSL, and I’m stuck basically troubleshooting and diagnosing my own trouble tickets.

If there were ANY competition for high speed Internet in the area, Frontier would loose virtually their entire client base. Sadly, that’s not likely to happen given the rural nature of the area.

Comments:

Review by Cignus See Profile

• Location: Kingman,Mohave,AZ
Good "Free DSL Modem/Router"
Bad "Tech support could be less rude."
Overall "Good for the price but keep an eye on your overall bill."

·Cox HSI
I moved into my new house in June. I had my Phone and DSL ordered in May, my phone was hooked up with out a problem I had no sign of DSL after 2 weeks I called and was informed that my DSL order was never processed. The service rep informed immedately that there were no ports on the DSLAM for my area and they were getting additional equipment. I was told 6 to 8 weeks, this was in the middle of June. I recived a letter the following week explaining what the service rep had told me the week before. August rolls around and I call for a status of my service... they are expecting the new DSLAM any day now. I call a week later and they are still expecting the DSLAM any day now. I call again the next week (it is now the middle of August) and I am informed that I was called but there was no answer or answering machine. They did not try and reach me at the 3 other phone numbers that I was made to give to the service rep when I started this whole thing. So finally I get a install date for my DSL 2 weeks (end of August) I will recieve a DSL Modem/Router in the mail. About a week and a half later my modem shows up as promised along with DSL filters for my phone line. The instructions are easy enough to follow and setup on my own. That same day I recieve a letter from my phone company telling me that a technician will need access to my backyard to finish the install and I do not need to be home for this to occur. Finally the install day gets here, I get home from work and turn on my modem... after fiddling with it for 15 minutes (getting username and password put in and learning what to and not to turn on) everything works fine.

That was the end of August I'm writing this review in the early part of December. Overall my experince with Frontier has been pretty good. The service is consistently on and I get decent speed... though I'm paying for a 384/128 connection and I'm getting 256/107 average (this varies from line test to line test). Other people that I have talked to that have the same service as I do are getting 1mbit/128 these people are spread around the area and not in just a one spot.

The advertised cost of the basic service was $40.00 a month, however my last bill had a charge of $59.99 with no increase in service. I do not know if this is a price increase or a honest mistake.

The speedstream modem I got is the current standard for citzens and works well enough. The avalibitly of documentation other then the built in help would defintly help. It does work well enough with a Cable/DSL router that I had already owned.

Really that is about it, I'm happy overall with my service the modem does everything that it was advertised to do (support vpn, portforwarding, nat). The service performs pretty well other then the connection speeds I would probally recomend Frontier over any of the other Broadband options in my area.

January 2004 --

It's been a year and a half since I got Frontier DSL and I have had mostly smooth sailing. With the exceptions of taking a full week to get my DSL modem replaced in April of 03 and 4 calls to tech support (total time on phone 1.5 hours) to have a technician come and look at my line in August of 03.

Tech support does seem to have gone down since I opened my DSL account with Frontier. Anymore the phone techs are generally not helpfull short of paitence and rude. I actually prefer to talk to the customer service people of my cell phone company then talk to Frontier Tech Support.

So the question is, am I going to keep Frontier DSL? Depends on how the service is in the next 6 to 9 months. If it stays the same or gets worse I will probally goto Cable instead.

Comments:

Review by madmark61 See Profile

• Location: Monmouth,Warren,IL
Good "It is available in my hometown"
Bad "It is the ONLY option"
Overall "Finally!"

Man, I have been waiting a long time to get anything faster than dialup.

The order provess was great and the terms are more than agreeable. 1Meg/256K at $49.95, free install, free modem (USB and Ethernet Speedstream 5200), and $10 off each month for the first 6 months.

Self install was a breeze. Though I am not exactly a networking novice, I expect that it would be simple for the average joe to get through. Even though it was a self-install, they had a tech deliver the parts and he installed the line filters for me before I even got home from work (my wife was home to take delivery).

member for 13.6 years, 314 visits, last login: 10.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by ZzEther See Profile

• Location: Williston,Williams,ND
Good "Tech supp. gives quick responses"
Bad "None since they were bought out"
Overall "'Bout time, finally the right bang for the buck now the pric is down $200"

When Frontier was taken over by Missouri Valley Communications the price dropped and packets take a different route now, out through the west coast instead of out through Minnesota and then New York. Service is sublime.

member for 12.6 years, 213 visits, last login: 4.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by jjmack See Profile

• Location: Monroe,Orange,NY
Good "Frontier DSL Faster then a modem when working"
Bad "Support poor and many outtages"
Overall "switched to Optonline"

Was not happy with Frontier Support they did finally update the old cisco 677 router and I was able to connect to my employer VPN network but it tooks months. Ther were many problems with the ATM hardware outtages were common. When Optonline became availible in Monroe I switched and am very happy with their service. I do not know about Optonline support because I never had a need to use it.