Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by andy See Profile

• Location: West Edmeston,Madison,NY
Good "Tech people are friendly"
Bad "The internet service"
Overall "Don't buy unless you have to"

We live in a rural area and, yeah, I know, MOVE TO A CITY. We have to have frontier. And we pay top dollar. FOR .9 mbps down on weekends and 3 on weekdays. We don't like them

Comments:

Review by silentwarior See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Monroe,NY
Good "Secure Dedicated Circuit DSL. Most users 6.0 MB dl/ .5 ul."
Bad "Recent Network Congestion significantly impacting BW."
Overall "As network upgrade is in progress, will reevaluate in 1 - 2 months."

Frontier in Rochester NY is in the process of upgrading. Expected performance increase. Had a significant influx of users causing network congestion. Bandwidth down from 6.0 MB to .5 - 1.5 MB. Hardware updates are expected to correct speed limitations due to network loads. Have been a customer for many years. This is the first major issue I have experienced. Began around Christmas 2013. Local customer service and managers have been very responsive. (I am more patient than most as I work in IT, so I understand technical issues more than most.)

My speed tested in this post is based on how it was for some time. Currently, the speed is not up to par.

Help Desk is not local (it is in US, but can be taken by Texas, or other locations, not necessarily your own. This is the same with Time Warner as well, not unique to Frontier.)

Frontier Communications is also a Telco and bundles phone, DSL and Dishnet into one package. Cost includes HBO and top 250 and HD DVR, metered phone line, DSL Max and 2 year commitment and includes all discounts. Lower cost if less channels selected, of course.

Comments:
slopoke

join:2012-05-20
London, OH
·Frontier Communi..

Upgrades

In Ohio same thing, guy says same thing, "upgrades." We are dropping sites and connections even though all systems indicate we are connected but can't reach web-sites or it takes 2 or 3 min. Hope this fixed soon, really screws up my Linux work. Been on this 'wire' since 1991 at same location. Been DSL for 6 years. At least its better than Verizon (was).
Just Me and My Acer. And a bag of chips.

Review by PacketHauler See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Dakota,MN
Good "Extremely reliable connection and latency"
Bad "Customer service/tech support hard to deal with"
Overall "If you can get 12Mbs service in your area, not a bad way to go"

·Bright House
·Charter
I signed up to get triple play with Frontier over a year ago. I did this because I was already an existing Dish Network customer and they provided additional discounts by bundling. I also received a $450 Apple gift card by signing up for a 2-year contract. I was initially told I was capable of their Broadband Ultra product which is supposedly up to 12Mb down and 1Mb up. Package price was $30 for unlimited digital phone, $34 for the DSL, and $99 for the TV bundle that I already had with Dish. The install happened within a couple of days. After a day or so, I noticed some noise on my phone line, and fluctuating speeds. A tech came back out on a Sunday, which surprised me. He changed the F2 pairs, put a whole house DSL filter in, and still had noise. Then he flipped me to a different card on the DSLAM, and that cleared up the noise and the speed issues. The modem they provided me was a Netgear 7550. Seems to be solid enough as a modem, I didn't really use the router/WiFi functionality as I put it in bridge mode and used my own.

After the tech left, I found I was only provisioned for 8Mbps and 768K up. Looking at my SNR and attenuation levels, there is no reason why I wouldn't be capable of higher speeds. I call back into Frontier and ask why I'm not getting 12Mb, they said I only qualify for 3Mb service. I told them I know I'm being fed from a DSLAM that is 4 blocks from my house, the tech even showed me where it was. Frontier said they show me as being fed from a CO that's 2 miles away. I said that's not right. Basically I was told that if I make a change to my account, they will bump me down to 3Mb, even though the DSLAM could provide me 12Mb service no problem. I called in numerous times to see if things have changed, they haven't. They are telling me it's a documentation problem, to which I said why can't you send someone out to document it correctly? No answer. At this point I hung up and would see if I could get back to Charter for a reasonable price, and I was eligible for 30Mb/4Mb service at $30/month. I went back to Frontier and asked what the ETF was for opting out of Internet only, leaving phone and TV? They said $100. I ordered Charter, and had it installed. When I called back to cancel just the DSL portion, they then told me it was $400 for ETF because of the Apple gift card promo. Fantastic. At this point I just opted to keep both until my contract ran out as I like the speed increase from Charter.

With all that being said, the DSL service has been reliable, latency is rock solid, and Netflix always worked during prime-time viewing hours. If their provisioning system wasn't so finicky, I'd probably hang around with them. If they ever roll out VDSL in my area, I'll probably go back because of the better latency of DSL and no bandwidth caps.

Comments:

Review by bandrp See Profile

• Location: Bluefield,Mercer,WV
Good "fast service, courteous, and great knowledge"
Bad "goes out sometimes, but which isp doesn't?"
Overall "very good service and support"

I have the fastest dsl available to me. 25mb down, and 1.5 up.
Have had very good results with frontier and will stay with them.
I am not a new member of DSLreports.
I was very sick and was offline for over a year and didn't log on so
I opened a new accout.

Comments:

Kyle

@spcsdns.net

Horrible

Internet goes out consistently and although the tech support is friendly they schedule a tech to come out and reschedule 2-3 times! Been without internet for three days now.

Review by mike8675309 See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Dakota,MN
Good "Tends to be reliable if not low performance for the cost."
Bad "Expensive for the speeds available. When there are problems, not very helpful"
Overall "Cable internet likely a better value if you can get it."

·Charter
I have Frontier's High Speed Inet 6M/384K service and for 99% of the time I don't even fret about it. Sure, I'm not thrilled about the terrible upload speed, nor the changeable download speeds. But overall, I tended to prefer Frontier since my experience with customer service has usually been very good, and my cable experience really bad.

Outages are rare, but I recently had an outage that causes me to now look at alternatives to Frontier. The service went down, out of the blue at 4:30pm. Over the next 4 hours I spoke to 3 different people at Frontier. The first basically said yes, it looks like an issue. Don't worry I'll escalate it and someone should be taking a look at the problem soon. After that I spoke to some neighbors with DSL. Yep, theirs is down too. 3.5 hours later I call to see whats up. This guy tells me someone will be out at 5pm tomorrow to look at the problem. O.k.. so now starts a long conversation, more trouble shooting, and eventually talking to a supervisor that basically says to me, regardless of what you pay for the service, we're not going to do anything about it until tomorrow.

I can get that kind of poor service from the cable company and at a lower cost. Maybe it's time for me to cut telephone all together, use my cell phone, and get cable for internet.

Update on 3/20/2014. I moved 2 years ago and in the transaction with Frontier I got stuck with no phone service and having to change phone numbers even though before the move I was given no notification of that need. Thus I could wait 3 days to get my phone service at the new home, or the cable company could get me phone service in 2 hours. I picked the cable company. No longer with Frontier and don't even get telphone from the cable company anymore. I use cable internet and voip for telephone.

Comments:

Review by ncted See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Fast, connection for a reasonable price. No caps. Netflix open connect CDN. CSRs and techs are very nice and friendly."
Bad "Installation happened a day late even though I purposely gave them plenty of lead time. 2 long outages in a week."
Overall "Nice folks, intermittent service."

I was on TWC Turbo (20/2), and I was unhappy with Netflix streaming performance and first byte time on websites and the recent price increases. Despite speedtest.net ping times of >20ms, it was laggy. I read that Frontier had joined the Netflix Open connect CDN: »signup.netflix.com/openconnect, and the price and speeds offered were good, so I decided to give it a try. I ordered Simply Broadband Max (24/2) for $55/month, no contract, free installation, and 2 year price guarantee.

Installation was a annoying because they didn't show up in the window they specified, and didn't call to tell me they weren't going to be able to make the appointment. I got a call over an hour later letting me know they would try again the next day. When I called to find out why, I was told they were busy fixing service for many people affected by adverse weather. While that may be true, they clearly knew they would not make my appointment well ahead of time, and they could have let me know sooner.

I received an ActionTec FV2200 modem. It has a full set of router features. I disabled wireless, and may try to put it into bridge mode, if I can determine how to make my Airport Extreme work with PPOE on a channel bonded connection.

Speedtest.net ping times are about 10ms longer than TWC, but first byte times are actually about 1/2 second lower than I observed with TWC. Netflix hasn't re-buffered yet, and it seems solidly at the highest PQ so far. I did experience an Internet outage (but not DSL, so must have been a backhaul issue) the first night I had the new service from about 12:30-2:00 AM, but TWC was down at the same time, so I would've been impacted either way. Since then, it has been rock solid. Hopefully that continues.

At the end of the day, I am happy I switched, and I hope this will be a reliable service for a long time to come.

UPDATE 3/5/2014:

I am posting this from my TWC connection I hadn't cancelled yet. Frontier has been down for hours and Tech Support has no idea why. This is the second time in a week. Not happy at the moment.

UPDATE 3/6/2014:

Due to connection reliability issues, I have cancelled my service. The CSR was extremely nice about it, and offered to lower my bill to make up for the inconvenience of the outage. If I didn't need this for work, I might consider it.

member for 3.9 years, 550 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Lyle jeffrey

@50.36.70.x

extremely dissatfied

I am writing this to let everyone know just how we have been treated with this company! my wife was called over a year ago with a offer to bundle our services so we could save about $30.00 a month . she agreed and they bundled our service lo and behold our monthly bill did not go down but went up by over $30.00. after numerous calls to frontier (getting some one different each time) we got nothing but a run around. At this point we ask to cancel our services and was told there would be a large charge to do so. mind you we have been with this company for ever. this was a year ago just this week my wife called to cancel our service and they say the contract was renewed in October. we had no idea how this was done they now say there is a $100.00 for early cancellation fee. this company is like a bad omen once your in you cant get out with out paying threw to nose. so be ware people you should think twice before doing business with these rip offs. we are on a fixed income so every little bit helps!

Review by Luka1 See Profile

• Location: Index,Snohomish,WA
Good "Good, reliable service."
Bad "Cost."

Ok, I've been on Frontier DSL for about two years now.

I love it.

There have been problems, but I have never dealt with a company of any sort that never had any problems.

The people at Frontier are quick to try to solve any problems. And the field techs are top notch!

Comments:

Review by E Man1864 See Profile

• Location: Sylvania,Lucas,OH
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Fast new speeds (15-17 Mbps down), decent ping times, techs and CS are nice"
Bad "Couldn't get 24 Mbps"
Overall "Pretty decent ISP, get a higher speed plan if you expect to game online"

·buckeye cable
I started off with Verizon DSL, it was good, then I was switched over to Frontier. In the beginning, it was slow, then in February 2011, I upgraded to the 7.1/768 package (I listed the time it took for the upgrade in the "Days from order to success" column). I get decent speeds, but bad ping. I used to use a Westell 372W router, then they said it was outdated and gave me a Westell 7500. The only time it didn't work was through Summer 2011. Why? First, the storms. Second, I put the line going to the DSL modem/router through a surge protector (don't do that) and I immediately corrected that by connecting it directly to the wall. Here's a recent speed test I did »www.speedtest.net/result/2119025831.png. The phone service is good too.

UPDATE 12-11-12:

The Westell 7500 they gave me last year has given me slower speeds than usual. I still have the 7.1/768 package, but I get speeds like this: »www.speedtest.net/result/2366297310.png all the time. I am about 0.7 miles away from the DSLCO, so I should be able to get their faster speeds. Changed the "Connection Reliability" to 3 because of this. I will update when I get time to order a new modem/router from them.

UPDATE 2-25-14:

About 2 weeks ago, I ordered the 24 Mbps package. The tech came and fixed the outside wires and told me to wire the black and yellow pair if it wasn't already wired (it wasn't). I called to get the modem provisioned, but that didn't help get the speeds I ordered. The next day I called, and they said something about the black and yellow pairs. I called about a week later for a tech to come and fix the inside wiring and he came today. He had to re-authenticate the modem after fixing the splice wire in the other room. The new router is a ZyXEL P-663HN-51 ADSL2+ Bonded Wireless N router. I receive around 15-17 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up and »www.speedtest.net/result/3344056090.png is a recent speed test I did.

Comments:
Zionikk

join:2012-12-08
North Baltimore, OH
·Frontier Communi..

Check for Upgrades

If you're still with Frontier, you should call to see about any possible upgrades. Because I know that Bowling Green and Sylvania just got upgraded to VDSL recently. You may be able to get up to 25Mbps for residential services and 40Mbps for business.

Bowling Green and Sylvania are just to of the main cities that got upgraded. But they are upgrading in other areas as well. I would definitely look in to it. You might get lucky!

Review by landrover See Profile

• Location: Martinsburg,Berkeley,WV
Good "Great speed. ADSL2+, Good Ping, Consistent and no connection issues"
Overall "For the price, it really is a good deal with this speed. Cheaper than Comcast. "

We upgraded from the 3Mbps package to 12 Mbps, it was only about $10 increase per month. They said 24 Mbps was available, and we considered that but stuck with 12Mbps for now.

Install was quick and simple, however, they did not show up when they said they would.
Netgear ADSL2+ router used. Standard.

So far the connection is wonderful. It has great ping, and no drop in speed. We do a lot of streaming and rarely does it buffer.
Downloads run perfect. There's really nothing to complain about except for the fact that Frontier's top-tier speeds are really limited in areas. We live close to the CO so that is how we were able to get the upgrades.

Bottom line, living in town it's certainly cheaper than Comcast and works perfect. No complaints at all.

member for 1 year, 186 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by rustyone See Profile

• Location: Chesterton,Porter,IN
  • Telco party Florida Digital Network
Good "Turnaround situation, abysmal => good. S/W settings internal to Frontier changed. "
Bad "Prob corrected.Too $$ & sloooow.Conn used to be exc;last 2 mnths,frTech support friendly, short wait,but probs persist.eq drops."
Overall "Now satisfactory <= Abysmal overpromised service; techs say all is well w equip, just overloaded, no improvements in sight."

Frontier DSL Premium 3 to 5 Mb, Chesterton, Indiana 46304

UPDATED 24-Feb-14:
Ready to fire Frontier Jan-14, but I submitted a Hail Mary complaint that pushed the right button. As a prior Verizon DSL account holder who was rolled over to a Frontier DSL account, sometime apparently in late 2013 my account was relegated to a non-Frontier account so that anytime a recognized Frontier user had a data request, Frontier took care of that first and mine only after all other Frontier requests had been serviced. This meant in peak hours of internet usage, I got nearly zero data. An ace Frontier service tech spotted the problem with my vestige/ legacy account, changed it to a normal Frontier account, and voila', the slowest observed service improved to approx 3.1/ 0.45 Mbps, and non-peak hours speeds often hit 6.0/ 0.78 Mbps. Streaming from a nearby radio station is now rarely broken. WHAT A TURNAROUND! I am now much happier.

The Frontier also replaced a relatively new Actiontec GT784WN I had with their own Netgear B90-755044-15. The Netgear modem connects to all my computers and printers whereas the Actiontec had a number of connectivity issues, but the Actiontec could block websites and log traffic that I do not believe the Netgear can do.

Tech Support and Services would have been even higher had the reported issues not taken two months and hours and hours of my time to resolve.

******************************************

Frontier/ Verizon user since 2006.

Verizon in 2006 charged an extra ~$12/ mo to upgrade to 3 to 5 Mbps. Price then, for DSL dryline, (no telephone), was about $35/ mo incl taxes. Speedtests then yielded 3.1/ 0.78 Mbps max and fairly consistent regardless of the time of day.

Frontier acquired the local Verizon DSL and telephone service several years ago and speedtests yielded results similar to Verizon until ~early 2012. Since then the fastest download seemed to be capped at 2.8 Mbps even at 0200 or 0300. Connections were consistent. Tech support was quick to answer and easy to understand, but on a couple of occasions when the service noticeably slowed, Frontier said all was okay and everything checked okay. A couple of days later, after nearly unusable service, it found a problem with its local server; I was told a local server card changeout was made and service returned to normal.

Frontier now tells me DSL Premium is not 3 to 5 Mbps, but rather, 1 to 6 Mbps and upped the "fixed price contract" $5/mo, but gave one month credit when it did that. Devolution comes to mind.

Since perhaps Nov-13, service has really slowed. The max download speed has remained at 2.8 Mbps/ upload at 0.78 Mbps in the wee hours, but frequently fell below 1.5 Mbps down between 1400 and 2330.

Over the last several months, streaming WVPE.org from South Bend would be lost within 10 minutes; now WBEZ.org from Chicago is being lost every 4 or 5 minutes, and the download speed, when the speedtest goes to completion, shows around 0.16 Mbps, while the upload speed generally makes the fairly consisten 0.78 Mbps.

A local tech verified the signal down and up are quite good, and a new modem yielded the same speedtest results.

Frontier's tech people, local and office, are friendly and easy to understand, but the bottom line speed and consistency of connection are really, really lacking.

For this I have been paying for Frontier's so-called DSL Premium service of $40/ mo incl taxes. This month it is making an adjustment, but when the ISP connection is frequently dropped and the download speed drops below 0.1 Mbps at times, even free service would be too expensive. When obvious problems go on for months and seem to be worsening, it's time for a change. The biggest problem with that is Comcast is the local alternative, and my past experience in 2006 with it was pretty miserable, (like a 300 baud rate between 1500 and 2330 everyday that went on for weeks and literally cost me dearly).

Something I find curious: Speedtest comparisons. Running speedtest.frontier.com just about always yields speeds of 2.5 to 2.8 Mbps down, 0.68 Mbps up, except when Frontier really messes up, (and that has been frequently recently), when the speeds dip to 1 to 2 Mbps down/ 0.5 Mbps up. Running DSLReports.com and speakeasy.net/speedtest give about the same results as each other, and seem to reflect my actual download perception of speed, will max at 2.8 down/ 0.78 up Mbps, but drop to less than 0.1 down/ 0.5 up Mbps when the service is lousy. In other words, when the world is rosy, speedtest.frontier.com and DSLReports.com give similar results, but when the service slows, speedtest.frontier.com usually continues to show good speed, while DSLReports.com shows lousy download speed.

If I did not know better, I would say Frontier and Comcast have worked out a deal limiting competition between the two. Neither have upgraded infrastructure nor speed and their prices continue to be high

11-Jan-2014 18:33 flash speedtest 186 Kbps 686 Kbps This is typical for DSLReports speedtest results run in the evening over the last couple of weeks.
*********************************
UPDATED ADDITIONAL DATA

Sun, 12-Jan-14: 50.104.85.101
DSLReports @ 04:30: something like 2.6/ 0.70
Started slowing around 10:00. Quite slow, like 50k/ 680k starting 1900. Even slower btwn 1900 & 2300. Most speedtest do not complete even after waiting 10 minutes.

speedtest.Frontier increased fr not completing, to 0.37. 0.47 @ 23:01. Seems the speed increased significantly at 2300.
speedtest.frontier increased to 1.47/ 0.63 @ 2309.
speedtest.frontier 2.70/ 0.65 @ 2340; dslreports 0.28/ 0.68 @ 2344

speedtest.frontier 0.18/ 0.50 @ 1844; dslreports DNF; 0.28/ 0.65 @ 1848
speedtest.frontier 0.60/ 0.64 @ 1903; dslreports 0.53/ 0.71 @ 1858

14-Jan-14
speedtest.frontier 3.09/ 0.68 @ 0016; dslreports 2.63/ 0.62 @ 0017
speedtest.frontier 3.50/ 0.67 @ 0519; dslreports 2.68/ 0.71 @ 0524 Probs speedtest.front,
1st 3 test timed out.

speedtest.frontier 0.24/ 0.46 @ 1850; dslreports 0.17/ 0.78 @ 1853
ping to rochester: 247 ms, parsippany: 275 ms
speedtest.frontier 0.10/ 0.61 @ 1906; dslreports 0.18/ 0.42 @ 1912
ping to rochester: 178 ms, parsippany: 131 ms
speedtest.frontier nr/ nr @ 1942; dslreports 1836; dslreports 0.09/ 0.69 @ 1836=> 1843
ping to rochester: 69 ms, parsippany: 42 ms. speedtest took a minute just to connect
with its web page, and req 5 times to get any results, and the upload never completed
after 6 minutes; dslreports timed out/ connection lost 10 times before 1 test completed.

At 1745, it took 2 minutes just to connect to my bank's secure web page. I am giving up using Frontier and the Internet for anything between 1800 and 2300 because it is so slow and lost connections. Forget bidding on any auctions closing during this time and just use email at some other time.

Would it not be poetic justice if Frontier Communications corporate officers Maggie Wilderotter and Daniel McCarthy were forced to use this same service? Or maybe suing them personally for breach of contract and wanton negligence?