Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by norm14580 See Profile

• Location: Webster,Monroe,NY
Good "Consistent speed, usually reliable"
Bad "Outage recently from Thursday 1/17 to Tuesday 1/21, 2014"
Overall "Works fine for me"

I have had Frontier DSL for many years now. Probably since 2004 or so. One of the early things I did was buy and install a whole house ADSL filter. After that, I called them and they readjusted my "provisioning" and I have had about 6Mbs download speed ever since. I hear a lot of people complaining about the speed, and I'm convinced that if Frontier wasn't so cheap and installed a whole house filter for everyone, a lot more people would like the service. My father in law has Frontier DSL too, and he was getting only about 1.5 Mbps, so I bought the same filter for him and now he gets about 5.

I know experience varies, but for my family it just works. Last week was the first time in several years that I remember having a service outage. I called tech support, and they had trouble helping me because my DSL modem was so old it does not have a web interface to diagnose problems. (I still had the original one from maybe 10 years ago.) They sent me a new DSL modem, which I received on Tuesday. (My call to them was Friday, so I'm satisfied with that.) I hooked it up, and it works great. It has the WiFi built in, so I no longer need the separate WiFi router. (Yes, my old DSL modem was that old, it did not have WiFi built in.)

I have the feeling that a lot of people that take the time to write a review do so because they had problems. I understand that, so I thought maybe we needed some balance.

Comments:

bwa1

@comcast.net

frontier dsl

I liked your review. It was balanced and helpful. Our hs internet bill with comcast just went up another twenty dollars -- now $74 a month, without phone. We have phone through frontier and are looking to bundle internet through them. Would you recommend this? We live in the boonies, and our phone service was recently upgraded by a frontier tech, who also enabled us (we're the only ones in our area to have this) to receive high speed through frontier. He also installed a filter in our box in the basement. He told us that if we ever got tired of comcast, we were ready to go with frontier. I think some other additional installation stuff would be required, but it would be minimal. Another question is this: how many filters are required? We have one where the phone line comes into the house; do we need another one at the end of the line where it connects to the router? After all the heinous reviews I've read regarding frontier, I'm a bit anxious about making the switch, although our phone service has been great. A constructive opinion on this matter would be appreciated.

DC51

@50.43.186.x

ADSL Filter

I have a very slow speed with Frontier connection supposedly was upgraded to Max but still not getting results. What is an ADSL Filter? What type did you buy and how is it connected?

Review by acdunbar See Profile

• Location: Hurricane,Putnam,WV
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Extremely slow, terrible support"
Overall "Only service in area"

Terrible connection consistency and extremely slow. After fighting with support for over a year I have received every excuse under the sun for the poor service. Have had technicians out for service at least once a month and received a different cause each time, ranging from water in the line to some one messed with the wires in the distribution box. I have repeatedly requested the local supervisor to address the issues, but ultimately was ignored. Since Frontier is the only service provider for the area they refuse to improve the infrastructure and regularly ignore customer concerns. I am extremely displeased with the quality of service and customer support. If there were any other provider I would switch immediately, even if the price were exponentially more.

Comments:
ZSwiftmend

join:2013-05-05
Morgantown, WV

Frontier has been awful for years

I agree! We have been forced to use Frontier for the last 6-7 years (in WV also) because there is no other provider. The service is awful! They advertise one speed, but we dont even come close to that. We have to have a service tech at the house about every 60 days, because someone "moved the lines in the distribution box". They do not have the infrastructure to support the customer base. And it would appear that they have no intention of doing anything about it. We have reached out to several layers of management, with no response. It is frustration beyond belief.

Review by Aranarth See Profile

• Location: Stanwood,Mecosta,MI
Good "Cheap and available"
Bad "DSL is not as fast as cable"
Overall "If your choices are Satellite or DSL, DSL wins!"

Finally got it in the area after almost 9 years of promises.

Definitely better than Wildblue 500kbs service.

There are some coordination issues where everyone I called said yep its all hooked up but when the tech went to the NOC he found out it was not hooked up yet.

Price is decent.
Provided modem is a bit weird... may decide to ditch it early and get a better one form Netgear etc.

Update: After getting 3.2mbps for 6 months I started having dropped connections and other issues. Tech who came out just dropped my speed to 1700kpbs and said that was all the line was good for. So far frontier has given a deaf ear to the idea that it was running 100% stable at 3mbps for 6-9 months and that there is an issue with the line. I might switch to casair instead to get the performance I'm supposed to get.

Comments:

Arnold

@50.45.188.x

Frontier Will Not Help Us.

After about a year of having the same problems with my internet, over and over they sent a tech guy to come and help, many times. But each time the Frontier tech came here it was as if they did nothing and told us the problem was fixed and left. Each time was the same, and each time the problem did not get fixed despite their promises. Internet is very slow now and i still cannot go on youtube or watch any videos. I am hoping that one day they will do their jobs and finally help us.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
·SureWest Internet

3-6mbps

Frontier almost always does that. Start at between 3-6 on the download side, then whammo, they cut your speed and say everything in the book is responsible for your new landing spot of 1mbps download. You will never see that higher speed again. Frontier sucks!

Review by pittpete1 See Profile

• Location: Poughquag,Dutchess,NY
Good "Connection is solid and never goes down if ever"
Bad "Max speed is 6mb and congestion during evenings"
Overall "Not cutting it in todays world"

While the connection never goes down and latency is good, the speed is not up to par. Comcast in the same area offers 25mb for a few $$ cheaper. I don't understand how they stay in business? During the day and late at night i usually get close to 6mb. Prime evening hours, lucky to get 3mb. Not enough bandwith to run all the devices in the home in todays society. It's unfortunate that i'm surrounded by Verizon FIOS. I really hope they do something sooner rather than later or i'll have to have Comcast come and run an underground drop to my house.

member for 5.1 years, 752 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
·Frontier Communi..

Data usage capping

I think I would stay back and away from those who have you capped off at some amount such as 300GB or so..
I feel more comfortable with 1 Terabyte(or higher) instead of some Gigabyte region. I just found this link »Comcast Usage Caps, Overages Arrive in Atlanta

It's good to cap off your customers because when you have over 500,000 customers pulling stuff(downloading) it can be a real mess and a real chore for the servers at the ISP NOC or office. If comcast were to turn off the capping and let all the customers run free to download whatever they want, whenever they want.. Speeds would drastically drop and you be lucky to see them ever come back. When the service is completely uncapped, other customers get a chance at taking over everyone else's connection speeds since there isn't no cap and you be free to do whatever and whenever. So its go to have caps on ISP's like comcast. Frontier does not need one cause the speeds are so low.
I hope your reading this papap. You were as kind, sweet and easy going person I ever met.
You no longer have to suffer from all the pain you had when down here on earth.
I love you.

R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise 8/9/45-11/21/13

Review by metalmayhem4 See Profile

• Location: Weston,Lewis,WV
Good "Very reliable for how rural we are, quick to fix problems"
Bad "not high speed but that's more because of our location"

Have had no major problems with them.We originally had 3 Mb speed bit kept having disconnects which turned out to be problems with the lines coupled with how far away we are. No surprise though with the major mess Verizon left our phone lines in. Frontier has been reliable with the internet connection other then the few times they had problems where a lot of areas lost internet temporarily. We signed up when they had a promotion for unlimited in state calling for 19.99 and had internet max for 29.99 bought together and a 2 year price guarantee. Not bad considering the only other option is Hughes net for $70 a month, limited speed, and almost $800 for installation.. The modem that was installed is one of the Westell 7500 wireless combo. It works ok without issues but the only complaint I can see is it doesn't support wireless n speeds. The only complaints I have other then the modem are all related to it being an ex Verizon area, is; rehired ex employee's that dont seem to know what they are doing, and the rats nest of bad wiring they left and are still trying to get cleaned and fixed up.

member for 1.4 years, 538 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by avisud See Profile

• Location: Kirkland,King,WA
Good "Reliable internet"
Bad "VEry slow, no upgrades to service in last 2 years, Pathetic customer service, No streaming services provided"
Overall "Stay away, "

Had the 15/5 package for last 2 years. No upgrades offered at all, while comcast has upgraded their service from 12/3 to 50/10. Online accounts/email account never works as expected, always land up calling customer service. Customer service reps are all across the board, contradicting one another in services offered.

Disappointed, high incentive to switch to comcast

Comments:

Review by siuuplink See Profile

• Location: Carbondale,Jackson,IL
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Extremely slow speeds"
Overall "No other choice"

Have had DSL for years, first with Verizon and then with Frontier when they took over the landlines in S. Illinois. Always had reliable service with Verizon. Cannot say the same for Frontier. For the past two months DSL download speeds fluctuate all over the place from a best of 1.52mbps down to .32kbps. Every time I call Frontier technical support I get the same story- "they are working on it and don't have any other information" and that "it is a congestion issue". So in other words, they have oversold this area and not installed equipment to handle increased demand. They cannot give me any more information. I find it astonishing that I live 4 miles from a major research university, yet I cannot get even a basic reliable internet connection from Frontier. My only option other than Frontier is satellite.

Comments:
tellyguy
join:2012-01-21
Saint Louis, MO

Internet Service

You should go to Clearwave.com to see if you can try to get their service. I know they serve most of Southern Illinois.

Frontiercom

@frontiernet.net

Frontier Internet

I live just north of St Paul, MN and have had Frontier for about 6 months. Just moved here and this is the only carrier according to what I've been told.

DSL is not terribly slow but hangs up quite frequently. I have tried to get online with Frontier a couple of times but seem to get lost in the "time warp" waiting for service and give up. Any thoughts or replies?

Review by diablo1892 See Profile

• Location: Friendly,Tyler,WV
Good "Every website I load up is fully loaded before i know it."
Bad "Customer supprt needs a little tweaking."
(ratings well above consensus)

·HughesNet Satell..
It may not be a fantastic company but it does what i need it for witch is hosting some game servers. Since I live so close to a nearby sub station, the technicians asked if i would like DSL bond ultimate. I don't know what bond ultimate means but we agreed to go with that. At end of installation, come to find out they had installed the wrong box on the side of the house so they will get that fixed ASAP.

Great company, just what i needed!
INSTALL DATE: 12/6/13

UPDATE 12/16/13
So Frontier had got the whole bandwidth capacity issue fixed. We are as of now getting 12952 Kbps / 1147 Kbps (according to the modem page)
Ran some tests and here is what I get:
»testmy.net/EDzJvwp.0M7LRyH.png
»testmy.net/4sUNArf.gKYO3WU.png
»testmy.net/PkEgQ1b.VDOtrIH.png
»testmy.net/DOqW6Va.8WcZnuv.png

I also have ran 20 ping time tests to see if anything had changed at all but I doubt anything did since the only thing they did was install bonded ultimate onto our service at the office. I get roughly 27ms with www.bing.com and get the same thing on my best pinged gaming server by counter strike global offensive. When I got a hold of someone by "cell" phone, it amazed me they give this such incredible technical support. When they say 24/7 technical support, they mean it!

All games are working excellent. I can host but with some lag due to distances between me and my friends that live on other side of globe. Connection strength is very clear. Only experienced one short outage so far, that occurred 2 nights ago for just 4, 2 minutes. I had no idea our old landline that still hangs from our old part of the house up to the phone pole on our property can do what it is doing now, line must be 25 or 30 years old by now but still very strong.

Comments:

Review by Carl48 See Profile

• Location: Delaware,Delaware,OH
Good "It was a new learning experience."
Bad "Slammed"
Overall "Avoid at all costs"

Worst experience. Called for information about a plan and I was slammed even though I specifically stated that I was not placing an order but only asking for information.

Emails and phone calls attempting to schedule installation were all followed up by me with the reply that I had not placed an order and that I was slammed. Was assured each time that I had no order on file and it was taken care of- until the next call came to schedule installation! Don't even call them. Once they have your name and phone number, you are a customer!

Comments:

Review by yolarry See Profile

• Location: Creston,Wirt,WV
Good "Fast. Good Ping. "
Bad "Technical support needs a little improvement"
Overall "Better then Hughesnet"

·HughesNet Satell..
When you live in the rural area you got no choice but to switch from dial up or satellite to DSL. Finally after waiting for so long to get off the train wreck of Hughesnet. This year frontier answer my prayers and installed fiber optic lines. I had trouble with costumer service with techs giving me the run around and does give me a decent progress or ETA unless I talk the engineers from the remote box that is like 500 feet from my home which they don’t see to have no clue either . So 3 months later I talk to Ree GM Social Networking person, and she was very nice and send our order and 2 day air ship the netgear modem/router before they put the signs up on the remote box. Next day different tech calls in and say that she does not see anything listed on her database so I told the person it’s already taking care of, and she was being rude about saying my modem can’t do anything unless I am having account. So I hung up and called the main office, and the guy said it’s listed but I can only get 8mbps but funny thing the engineer tech was testing and getting 18 mbps. So I thought I go ahead and try 8mbps with $20 bucks a month. I got sick of paying $74 to Hughesnet. Not like I can upgrade anytime right? So 10/3/2013 the modem/router finally arrived. Place the filters hooked it up. DSL light blinking. Called the tech and he put me on hold for like 30 mins, and he tells me my neighborhood is set for 7th but he notices my neighbor is having a date for Friday installation so he’s going to put a request to check my end and see whats going on while he’s at neighbors. I know the box got redone in 2007 when a lighting storm struck the NIC beside my house. The line from the booth to the pole and to the house got replace in 2005. So could be an issue with junction haven’t rig up for DSL.. So next day (Friday) tech goes to the neighbor’s house. So I went to visit and ask if he got anything for me, and he said not without order #. So called frontier and to request the work order #. I was in a rush to get it to the tech before he leaves but the lady wanted to talk me into signing up for dish for like 5 mins and I told her we will discuss that later sometime but keeps bragging about it. So the guy hooked me up and told me to reboot my modem/router and should be getting 7mbps. WOOHOO

Benefits I like about this like about my new $20 internet

- I can game. That’s the major flow on hughesnet I couldn’t deal with it

- Unlimited. Now I can video chat with my friends and family over skype

- Netlifx. I’m a huge fan ever since I stay at my brother’s house.

- Weather does not kill my connection unlike hughesnet.

I’m overall happy since this the first time in my life I have DSL. I wouldn’t complain much to frontier but they really need some better techs.

Thanks for taking time to read this review. I just happy to get out of Hughesnet.

Update 11/12/2013: Still running rock solid. some hiccups with a couple of down times but all is good. I went ahead and upgrade to the 12mbps package and everything went fine but still getting crappy upload speed (1 mbps). I download some games from steam with my new package and sometimes it was hitting 15mbps. wow. Also, I been trying to port forward ports for an MW3 dedicated server off steam, but no mater what I tried I can't seem to get it open ports (Nat Strict) I even tried to bridge with my Linksys E3000 and still not letting me.

Update 12/4/2013: still running great. No bad luck! I saw my uptime 20 days and look at the chart and downloaded over 200GB last month. of course I brought a bunch of games on steam and watching netflix in HD on my xbox 360. Took the time and finally do windows update on all my pcs. Ask the neighbor if they have any issues and they say it's running great too!

Total on my phone bill with both internet and landline month $82

Comments:

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
·Frontier Communi..

Disappointed

Well, been close to 6 weeks since frontier started doing stuff in my area and after all the talk of us getting DSL. I have spoke with tammy(in parkersburg) several times and she's still saying "several weeks to go" but she said by the end of this year, everything will be complete(yeah, sure) I have'nt seen frontier do anything big down at the sub station in atleast 4 weeks now and there is snow on the ground already.

I guess 20 or maybe 40 more years of good old hughesnet. Hope frontier is treating you good atleast.
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password

Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.