Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by Luka1 See Profile

• Location: Index,Snohomish,WA
Good "Good, reliable service."
Bad "Cost."

Ok, I've been on Frontier DSL for about two years now.

I love it.

There have been problems, but I have never dealt with a company of any sort that never had any problems.

The people at Frontier are quick to try to solve any problems. And the field techs are top notch!

Comments:

Review by E Man1864 See Profile

• Location: Sylvania,Lucas,OH
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Fast new speeds (15-17 Mbps down), decent ping times, techs and CS are nice"
Bad "Couldn't get 24 Mbps"
Overall "Pretty decent ISP, get a higher speed plan if you expect to game online"

·buckeye cable
I started off with Verizon DSL, it was good, then I was switched over to Frontier. In the beginning, it was slow, then in February 2011, I upgraded to the 7.1/768 package (I listed the time it took for the upgrade in the "Days from order to success" column). I get decent speeds, but bad ping. I used to use a Westell 372W router, then they said it was outdated and gave me a Westell 7500. The only time it didn't work was through Summer 2011. Why? First, the storms. Second, I put the line going to the DSL modem/router through a surge protector (don't do that) and I immediately corrected that by connecting it directly to the wall. Here's a recent speed test I did »www.speedtest.net/result/2119025831.png. The phone service is good too.

UPDATE 12-11-12:

The Westell 7500 they gave me last year has given me slower speeds than usual. I still have the 7.1/768 package, but I get speeds like this: »www.speedtest.net/result/2366297310.png all the time. I am about 0.7 miles away from the DSLCO, so I should be able to get their faster speeds. Changed the "Connection Reliability" to 3 because of this. I will update when I get time to order a new modem/router from them.

UPDATE 2-25-14:

About 2 weeks ago, I ordered the 24 Mbps package. The tech came and fixed the outside wires and told me to wire the black and yellow pair if it wasn't already wired (it wasn't). I called to get the modem provisioned, but that didn't help get the speeds I ordered. The next day I called, and they said something about the black and yellow pairs. I called about a week later for a tech to come and fix the inside wiring and he came today. He had to re-authenticate the modem after fixing the splice wire in the other room. The new router is a ZyXEL P-663HN-51 ADSL2+ Bonded Wireless N router. I receive around 15-17 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up and »www.speedtest.net/result/3344056090.png is a recent speed test I did.

Comments:
Zionikk

join:2012-12-08
North Baltimore, OH
·Frontier Communi..

Check for Upgrades

If you're still with Frontier, you should call to see about any possible upgrades. Because I know that Bowling Green and Sylvania just got upgraded to VDSL recently. You may be able to get up to 25Mbps for residential services and 40Mbps for business.

Bowling Green and Sylvania are just to of the main cities that got upgraded. But they are upgrading in other areas as well. I would definitely look in to it. You might get lucky!

Review by landrover See Profile

• Location: Martinsburg,Berkeley,WV
Good "Great speed. ADSL2+, Good Ping, Consistent and no connection issues"
Overall "For the price, it really is a good deal with this speed. Cheaper than Comcast. "

We upgraded from the 3Mbps package to 12 Mbps, it was only about $10 increase per month. They said 24 Mbps was available, and we considered that but stuck with 12Mbps for now.

Install was quick and simple, however, they did not show up when they said they would.
Netgear ADSL2+ router used. Standard.

So far the connection is wonderful. It has great ping, and no drop in speed. We do a lot of streaming and rarely does it buffer.
Downloads run perfect. There's really nothing to complain about except for the fact that Frontier's top-tier speeds are really limited in areas. We live close to the CO so that is how we were able to get the upgrades.

Bottom line, living in town it's certainly cheaper than Comcast and works perfect. No complaints at all.

Comments:

Review by rustyone See Profile

• Location: Chesterton,Porter,IN
  • Telco party Florida Digital Network
Good "Turnaround situation, abysmal => good. S/W settings internal to Frontier changed. "
Bad "Prob corrected.Too $$ & sloooow.Conn used to be exc;last 2 mnths,frTech support friendly, short wait,but probs persist.eq drops."
Overall "Now satisfactory <= Abysmal overpromised service; techs say all is well w equip, just overloaded, no improvements in sight."

Frontier DSL Premium 3 to 5 Mb, Chesterton, Indiana 46304

UPDATED 24-Feb-14:
Ready to fire Frontier Jan-14, but I submitted a Hail Mary complaint that pushed the right button. As a prior Verizon DSL account holder who was rolled over to a Frontier DSL account, sometime apparently in late 2013 my account was relegated to a non-Frontier account so that anytime a recognized Frontier user had a data request, Frontier took care of that first and mine only after all other Frontier requests had been serviced. This meant in peak hours of internet usage, I got nearly zero data. An ace Frontier service tech spotted the problem with my vestige/ legacy account, changed it to a normal Frontier account, and voila', the slowest observed service improved to approx 3.1/ 0.45 Mbps, and non-peak hours speeds often hit 6.0/ 0.78 Mbps. Streaming from a nearby radio station is now rarely broken. WHAT A TURNAROUND! I am now much happier.

The Frontier also replaced a relatively new Actiontec GT784WN I had with their own Netgear B90-755044-15. The Netgear modem connects to all my computers and printers whereas the Actiontec had a number of connectivity issues, but the Actiontec could block websites and log traffic that I do not believe the Netgear can do.

Tech Support and Services would have been even higher had the reported issues not taken two months and hours and hours of my time to resolve.

******************************************

Frontier/ Verizon user since 2006.

Verizon in 2006 charged an extra ~$12/ mo to upgrade to 3 to 5 Mbps. Price then, for DSL dryline, (no telephone), was about $35/ mo incl taxes. Speedtests then yielded 3.1/ 0.78 Mbps max and fairly consistent regardless of the time of day.

Frontier acquired the local Verizon DSL and telephone service several years ago and speedtests yielded results similar to Verizon until ~early 2012. Since then the fastest download seemed to be capped at 2.8 Mbps even at 0200 or 0300. Connections were consistent. Tech support was quick to answer and easy to understand, but on a couple of occasions when the service noticeably slowed, Frontier said all was okay and everything checked okay. A couple of days later, after nearly unusable service, it found a problem with its local server; I was told a local server card changeout was made and service returned to normal.

Frontier now tells me DSL Premium is not 3 to 5 Mbps, but rather, 1 to 6 Mbps and upped the "fixed price contract" $5/mo, but gave one month credit when it did that. Devolution comes to mind.

Since perhaps Nov-13, service has really slowed. The max download speed has remained at 2.8 Mbps/ upload at 0.78 Mbps in the wee hours, but frequently fell below 1.5 Mbps down between 1400 and 2330.

Over the last several months, streaming WVPE.org from South Bend would be lost within 10 minutes; now WBEZ.org from Chicago is being lost every 4 or 5 minutes, and the download speed, when the speedtest goes to completion, shows around 0.16 Mbps, while the upload speed generally makes the fairly consisten 0.78 Mbps.

A local tech verified the signal down and up are quite good, and a new modem yielded the same speedtest results.

Frontier's tech people, local and office, are friendly and easy to understand, but the bottom line speed and consistency of connection are really, really lacking.

For this I have been paying for Frontier's so-called DSL Premium service of $40/ mo incl taxes. This month it is making an adjustment, but when the ISP connection is frequently dropped and the download speed drops below 0.1 Mbps at times, even free service would be too expensive. When obvious problems go on for months and seem to be worsening, it's time for a change. The biggest problem with that is Comcast is the local alternative, and my past experience in 2006 with it was pretty miserable, (like a 300 baud rate between 1500 and 2330 everyday that went on for weeks and literally cost me dearly).

Something I find curious: Speedtest comparisons. Running speedtest.frontier.com just about always yields speeds of 2.5 to 2.8 Mbps down, 0.68 Mbps up, except when Frontier really messes up, (and that has been frequently recently), when the speeds dip to 1 to 2 Mbps down/ 0.5 Mbps up. Running DSLReports.com and speakeasy.net/speedtest give about the same results as each other, and seem to reflect my actual download perception of speed, will max at 2.8 down/ 0.78 up Mbps, but drop to less than 0.1 down/ 0.5 up Mbps when the service is lousy. In other words, when the world is rosy, speedtest.frontier.com and DSLReports.com give similar results, but when the service slows, speedtest.frontier.com usually continues to show good speed, while DSLReports.com shows lousy download speed.

If I did not know better, I would say Frontier and Comcast have worked out a deal limiting competition between the two. Neither have upgraded infrastructure nor speed and their prices continue to be high

11-Jan-2014 18:33 flash speedtest 186 Kbps 686 Kbps This is typical for DSLReports speedtest results run in the evening over the last couple of weeks.
*********************************
UPDATED ADDITIONAL DATA

Sun, 12-Jan-14: 50.104.85.101
DSLReports @ 04:30: something like 2.6/ 0.70
Started slowing around 10:00. Quite slow, like 50k/ 680k starting 1900. Even slower btwn 1900 & 2300. Most speedtest do not complete even after waiting 10 minutes.

speedtest.Frontier increased fr not completing, to 0.37. 0.47 @ 23:01. Seems the speed increased significantly at 2300.
speedtest.frontier increased to 1.47/ 0.63 @ 2309.
speedtest.frontier 2.70/ 0.65 @ 2340; dslreports 0.28/ 0.68 @ 2344

speedtest.frontier 0.18/ 0.50 @ 1844; dslreports DNF; 0.28/ 0.65 @ 1848
speedtest.frontier 0.60/ 0.64 @ 1903; dslreports 0.53/ 0.71 @ 1858

14-Jan-14
speedtest.frontier 3.09/ 0.68 @ 0016; dslreports 2.63/ 0.62 @ 0017
speedtest.frontier 3.50/ 0.67 @ 0519; dslreports 2.68/ 0.71 @ 0524 Probs speedtest.front,
1st 3 test timed out.

speedtest.frontier 0.24/ 0.46 @ 1850; dslreports 0.17/ 0.78 @ 1853
ping to rochester: 247 ms, parsippany: 275 ms
speedtest.frontier 0.10/ 0.61 @ 1906; dslreports 0.18/ 0.42 @ 1912
ping to rochester: 178 ms, parsippany: 131 ms
speedtest.frontier nr/ nr @ 1942; dslreports 1836; dslreports 0.09/ 0.69 @ 1836=> 1843
ping to rochester: 69 ms, parsippany: 42 ms. speedtest took a minute just to connect
with its web page, and req 5 times to get any results, and the upload never completed
after 6 minutes; dslreports timed out/ connection lost 10 times before 1 test completed.

At 1745, it took 2 minutes just to connect to my bank's secure web page. I am giving up using Frontier and the Internet for anything between 1800 and 2300 because it is so slow and lost connections. Forget bidding on any auctions closing during this time and just use email at some other time.

Would it not be poetic justice if Frontier Communications corporate officers Maggie Wilderotter and Daniel McCarthy were forced to use this same service? Or maybe suing them personally for breach of contract and wanton negligence?

Comments:

Review by butterfly See Profile

• Location: Myrtle Beach,Horry,SC
  • Telco party DSL.Net
Good "No contract "
Bad "Horrible"
Overall "They suck"

There costumer service sucks, i don't think anyone knows what they're doing ... I upgraded to the fastest speed available and it only got worse .... I keep losing connection and its so slow, I'm going with time warner, thank God I didn't have to sign a contract ...

Comments:

Review by norm14580 See Profile

• Location: Webster,Monroe,NY
Good "Consistent speed, usually reliable"
Bad "Outage recently from Thursday 1/17 to Tuesday 1/21, 2014"
Overall "Works fine for me"

I have had Frontier DSL for many years now. Probably since 2004 or so. One of the early things I did was buy and install a whole house ADSL filter. After that, I called them and they readjusted my "provisioning" and I have had about 6Mbs download speed ever since. I hear a lot of people complaining about the speed, and I'm convinced that if Frontier wasn't so cheap and installed a whole house filter for everyone, a lot more people would like the service. My father in law has Frontier DSL too, and he was getting only about 1.5 Mbps, so I bought the same filter for him and now he gets about 5.

I know experience varies, but for my family it just works. Last week was the first time in several years that I remember having a service outage. I called tech support, and they had trouble helping me because my DSL modem was so old it does not have a web interface to diagnose problems. (I still had the original one from maybe 10 years ago.) They sent me a new DSL modem, which I received on Tuesday. (My call to them was Friday, so I'm satisfied with that.) I hooked it up, and it works great. It has the WiFi built in, so I no longer need the separate WiFi router. (Yes, my old DSL modem was that old, it did not have WiFi built in.)

I have the feeling that a lot of people that take the time to write a review do so because they had problems. I understand that, so I thought maybe we needed some balance.

Comments:

bwa1

@comcast.net

frontier dsl

I liked your review. It was balanced and helpful. Our hs internet bill with comcast just went up another twenty dollars -- now $74 a month, without phone. We have phone through frontier and are looking to bundle internet through them. Would you recommend this? We live in the boonies, and our phone service was recently upgraded by a frontier tech, who also enabled us (we're the only ones in our area to have this) to receive high speed through frontier. He also installed a filter in our box in the basement. He told us that if we ever got tired of comcast, we were ready to go with frontier. I think some other additional installation stuff would be required, but it would be minimal. Another question is this: how many filters are required? We have one where the phone line comes into the house; do we need another one at the end of the line where it connects to the router? After all the heinous reviews I've read regarding frontier, I'm a bit anxious about making the switch, although our phone service has been great. A constructive opinion on this matter would be appreciated.

DC51

@50.43.186.x

ADSL Filter

I have a very slow speed with Frontier connection supposedly was upgraded to Max but still not getting results. What is an ADSL Filter? What type did you buy and how is it connected?

Review by acdunbar See Profile

• Location: Hurricane,Putnam,WV
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Extremely slow, terrible support"
Overall "Only service in area"

Terrible connection consistency and extremely slow. After fighting with support for over a year I have received every excuse under the sun for the poor service. Have had technicians out for service at least once a month and received a different cause each time, ranging from water in the line to some one messed with the wires in the distribution box. I have repeatedly requested the local supervisor to address the issues, but ultimately was ignored. Since Frontier is the only service provider for the area they refuse to improve the infrastructure and regularly ignore customer concerns. I am extremely displeased with the quality of service and customer support. If there were any other provider I would switch immediately, even if the price were exponentially more.

Comments:
ZSwiftmend

join:2013-05-05
Morgantown, WV

Frontier has been awful for years

I agree! We have been forced to use Frontier for the last 6-7 years (in WV also) because there is no other provider. The service is awful! They advertise one speed, but we dont even come close to that. We have to have a service tech at the house about every 60 days, because someone "moved the lines in the distribution box". They do not have the infrastructure to support the customer base. And it would appear that they have no intention of doing anything about it. We have reached out to several layers of management, with no response. It is frustration beyond belief.

Review by pittpete1 See Profile

• Location: Poughquag,Dutchess,NY
Good "Connection is solid and never goes down if ever"
Bad "Max speed is 6mb and congestion during evenings"
Overall "Not cutting it in todays world"

While the connection never goes down and latency is good, the speed is not up to par. Comcast in the same area offers 25mb for a few $$ cheaper. I don't understand how they stay in business? During the day and late at night i usually get close to 6mb. Prime evening hours, lucky to get 3mb. Not enough bandwith to run all the devices in the home in todays society. It's unfortunate that i'm surrounded by Verizon FIOS. I really hope they do something sooner rather than later or i'll have to have Comcast come and run an underground drop to my house.

member for 5.2 years, 784 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

Data usage capping

I think I would stay back and away from those who have you capped off at some amount such as 300GB or so..
I feel more comfortable with 1 Terabyte(or higher) instead of some Gigabyte region. I just found this link »Comcast Usage Caps, Overages Arrive in Atlanta

It's good to cap off your customers because when you have over 500,000 customers pulling stuff(downloading) it can be a real mess and a real chore for the servers at the ISP NOC or office. If comcast were to turn off the capping and let all the customers run free to download whatever they want, whenever they want.. Speeds would drastically drop and you be lucky to see them ever come back. When the service is completely uncapped, other customers get a chance at taking over everyone else's connection speeds since there isn't no cap and you be free to do whatever and whenever. So its go to have caps on ISP's like comcast. Frontier does not need one cause the speeds are so low.
I hope your reading this papap. You were as kind, sweet and easy going person I ever met.
You no longer have to suffer from all the pain you had when down here on earth.
I love you.

R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise 8/9/45-11/21/13

Review by metalmayhem4 See Profile

• Location: Weston,Lewis,WV
Good "Very reliable for how rural we are, quick to fix problems"
Bad "not high speed but that's more because of our location"

Have had no major problems with them.We originally had 3 Mb speed bit kept having disconnects which turned out to be problems with the lines coupled with how far away we are. No surprise though with the major mess Verizon left our phone lines in. Frontier has been reliable with the internet connection other then the few times they had problems where a lot of areas lost internet temporarily. We signed up when they had a promotion for unlimited in state calling for 19.99 and had internet max for 29.99 bought together and a 2 year price guarantee. Not bad considering the only other option is Hughes net for $70 a month, limited speed, and almost $800 for installation.. The modem that was installed is one of the Westell 7500 wireless combo. It works ok without issues but the only complaint I can see is it doesn't support wireless n speeds. The only complaints I have other then the modem are all related to it being an ex Verizon area, is; rehired ex employee's that dont seem to know what they are doing, and the rats nest of bad wiring they left and are still trying to get cleaned and fixed up.

member for 1.5 years, 553 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by avisud See Profile

• Location: Kirkland,King,WA
Good "Reliable internet"
Bad "VEry slow, no upgrades to service in last 2 years, Pathetic customer service, No streaming services provided"
Overall "Stay away, "

Had the 15/5 package for last 2 years. No upgrades offered at all, while comcast has upgraded their service from 12/3 to 50/10. Online accounts/email account never works as expected, always land up calling customer service. Customer service reps are all across the board, contradicting one another in services offered.

Disappointed, high incentive to switch to comcast