Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by timkedojeh See Profile

• Location: Olney,Richland,IL
Good "Decent speeds, if you can get them"
Bad "Extreme congestion and terrible reps"
Overall "If Frontier's your only choice, move."

We've had Frontier service since the lines were Verizon. Back then, things were good; out in the middle of nowhere, you can't expect much. The moment Frontier took over, things starting going downhill. First came the congestion as they added more customers to already-saturated areas, then the price hikes.

The beginning of the end was three days ago. We scheduled to have our home phone disconnected (since everyone has a cell phone). Since the phone was turned off, our speeds have been atrocious. I finally decided to check the transceiver statistics and, huh, our previously provisioned 3Mbps line was now reading 1.5Mbps (1792). Plenty of margin to spare, so it obviously wasn't a line issue.

I called support and asked them what was up. They tried to convince me that the most I could've ever been provisioned for was 1.5, I never had 3, and that the entire area was restricted to 1.5. (Huh, so what was with those sales you guys did as soon as you took over, advertising 7.1? And you provided people with 7.1, I was in people's houses who have 7.1.)

It's obvious that Frontier is over-saturated to the point where new customers are being held back to the bare minimums to maintain network quality for everyone else. It's a slap in the face that they're doing it to established customers as well when we change services. The fact that the rep had the balls to lie to me was the last straw.

In the morning, I'm calling NewWave, I'm getting a RG6 cable buried down the 400ft driveway, and I'm saying goodbye and good riddance to Frontier forever. Never again!

Comments:
Makasinsoul

join:2014-05-19

You ain't joking

I 100 percent agree, if you can only get frontier run as far away as you can. This is a cash grab company. That preys on area that have no competition. When wireless goes unlimited they will just go bankrupt and go out of business.

Review by IfThenElse See Profile

• Location: South Vienna,Clark,OH
Bad "low speed, high lag, high price"
Overall "only option"

02/2014 Downgraded to dry loop. Two customer service reps and one tech assured me porting the home phone number to a cell phone would work without losing internet. They lied. Once the phone number port went through, it took over a week to get service going again. It took them three days just to figure out what had happened, and it required a new account. Price is now a flat $40, no fees, still 3meg, still same crappy drops to about 200k in evenings. Every time I call in they say the area is marked as overloaded and that upgrades are "coming soon", but after two years I don't think they know what "soon" means.

04/2013 Getting better, but still rough. Most of the disconnect/no connect issues went away as they switched off of the Verizon leftovers. Upgraded to 3/768 summer 2011. The CO is maxed out on lines, and definitely has problems at peak hours. I can expect to get 3 meg from about 1 AM to 6 PM, but drop to effectively dial up in the evenings. This even affects games, as I still have significant lag regardless of the bandwidth needed. This could be due to the upstream compression. I have also seen the internet just stop, no activity at all, for between 3 and 10 seconds when it is particularly busy. Changed modems from the 327 to the 7500 and just got a 7550. Each had slightly better connection numbers, but no real change in the overall experience. Tech support is decent, still have to go through basic checklist each call. Every time they send a tech out, it shows my line capable of 7 meg or more. They did mix stuff up and add the inside wire maintenance plan to my account. It showed in February, back dated to January. Wasn't too hard to correct, also got some credits for the service troubles.

04/2011

This is an account that was sold by Verizon. Verizon service wasn't great, this was basically the same, but is now slowly degrading. Rural DSL, only option is 768/128, usually get 80%, not counting lag, pauses (~10secs) and disconnects (as much as every 5 minutes). Not even sure what options I have because, 9 months after acquisition, most of the website still has Verizon branding and links that do not work. Only part of Frontier (well, ncnetwork, whatever that is) website that typically works is paying the bill, go figure.

Comments:

Review by andy See Profile

• Location: West Edmeston,Madison,NY
Good "Tech people are friendly"
Bad "The internet service"
Overall "Don't buy unless you have to"

We live in a rural area and, yeah, I know, MOVE TO A CITY. We have to have frontier. And we pay top dollar. FOR .9 mbps down on weekends and 3 on weekdays. We don't like them

Comments:

Review by silentwarior See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Monroe,NY
Good "Secure Dedicated Circuit DSL. Most users 6.0 MB dl/ .5 ul."
Bad "Recent Network Congestion significantly impacting BW."
Overall "As network upgrade is in progress, will reevaluate in 1 - 2 months."

Frontier in Rochester NY is in the process of upgrading. Expected performance increase. Had a significant influx of users causing network congestion. Bandwidth down from 6.0 MB to .5 - 1.5 MB. Hardware updates are expected to correct speed limitations due to network loads. Have been a customer for many years. This is the first major issue I have experienced. Began around Christmas 2013. Local customer service and managers have been very responsive. (I am more patient than most as I work in IT, so I understand technical issues more than most.)

My speed tested in this post is based on how it was for some time. Currently, the speed is not up to par.

Help Desk is not local (it is in US, but can be taken by Texas, or other locations, not necessarily your own. This is the same with Time Warner as well, not unique to Frontier.)

Frontier Communications is also a Telco and bundles phone, DSL and Dishnet into one package. Cost includes HBO and top 250 and HD DVR, metered phone line, DSL Max and 2 year commitment and includes all discounts. Lower cost if less channels selected, of course.

Comments:
slopoke

join:2012-05-20
London, OH
·Frontier Communi..

Upgrades

In Ohio same thing, guy says same thing, "upgrades." We are dropping sites and connections even though all systems indicate we are connected but can't reach web-sites or it takes 2 or 3 min. Hope this fixed soon, really screws up my Linux work. Been on this 'wire' since 1991 at same location. Been DSL for 6 years. At least its better than Verizon (was).
Just Me and My Acer. And a bag of chips.

Review by PacketHauler See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Dakota,MN
Good "Extremely reliable connection and latency"
Bad "Customer service/tech support hard to deal with"
Overall "If you can get 12Mbs service in your area, not a bad way to go"

·Bright House
·Charter
I signed up to get triple play with Frontier over a year ago. I did this because I was already an existing Dish Network customer and they provided additional discounts by bundling. I also received a $450 Apple gift card by signing up for a 2-year contract. I was initially told I was capable of their Broadband Ultra product which is supposedly up to 12Mb down and 1Mb up. Package price was $30 for unlimited digital phone, $34 for the DSL, and $99 for the TV bundle that I already had with Dish. The install happened within a couple of days. After a day or so, I noticed some noise on my phone line, and fluctuating speeds. A tech came back out on a Sunday, which surprised me. He changed the F2 pairs, put a whole house DSL filter in, and still had noise. Then he flipped me to a different card on the DSLAM, and that cleared up the noise and the speed issues. The modem they provided me was a Netgear 7550. Seems to be solid enough as a modem, I didn't really use the router/WiFi functionality as I put it in bridge mode and used my own.

After the tech left, I found I was only provisioned for 8Mbps and 768K up. Looking at my SNR and attenuation levels, there is no reason why I wouldn't be capable of higher speeds. I call back into Frontier and ask why I'm not getting 12Mb, they said I only qualify for 3Mb service. I told them I know I'm being fed from a DSLAM that is 4 blocks from my house, the tech even showed me where it was. Frontier said they show me as being fed from a CO that's 2 miles away. I said that's not right. Basically I was told that if I make a change to my account, they will bump me down to 3Mb, even though the DSLAM could provide me 12Mb service no problem. I called in numerous times to see if things have changed, they haven't. They are telling me it's a documentation problem, to which I said why can't you send someone out to document it correctly? No answer. At this point I hung up and would see if I could get back to Charter for a reasonable price, and I was eligible for 30Mb/4Mb service at $30/month. I went back to Frontier and asked what the ETF was for opting out of Internet only, leaving phone and TV? They said $100. I ordered Charter, and had it installed. When I called back to cancel just the DSL portion, they then told me it was $400 for ETF because of the Apple gift card promo. Fantastic. At this point I just opted to keep both until my contract ran out as I like the speed increase from Charter.

With all that being said, the DSL service has been reliable, latency is rock solid, and Netflix always worked during prime-time viewing hours. If their provisioning system wasn't so finicky, I'd probably hang around with them. If they ever roll out VDSL in my area, I'll probably go back because of the better latency of DSL and no bandwidth caps.

Comments:

Review by bandrp See Profile

• Location: Bluefield,Mercer,WV
Good "fast service, courteous, and great knowledge"
Bad "goes out sometimes, but which isp doesn't?"
Overall "very good service and support"

I have the fastest dsl available to me. 25mb down, and 1.5 up.
Have had very good results with frontier and will stay with them.
I am not a new member of DSLreports.
I was very sick and was offline for over a year and didn't log on so
I opened a new accout.

Comments:

Kyle

@spcsdns.net

Horrible

Internet goes out consistently and although the tech support is friendly they schedule a tech to come out and reschedule 2-3 times! Been without internet for three days now.

Review by mike8675309 See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Dakota,MN
Good "Tends to be reliable if not low performance for the cost."
Bad "Expensive for the speeds available. When there are problems, not very helpful"
Overall "Cable internet likely a better value if you can get it."

·Charter
I have Frontier's High Speed Inet 6M/384K service and for 99% of the time I don't even fret about it. Sure, I'm not thrilled about the terrible upload speed, nor the changeable download speeds. But overall, I tended to prefer Frontier since my experience with customer service has usually been very good, and my cable experience really bad.

Outages are rare, but I recently had an outage that causes me to now look at alternatives to Frontier. The service went down, out of the blue at 4:30pm. Over the next 4 hours I spoke to 3 different people at Frontier. The first basically said yes, it looks like an issue. Don't worry I'll escalate it and someone should be taking a look at the problem soon. After that I spoke to some neighbors with DSL. Yep, theirs is down too. 3.5 hours later I call to see whats up. This guy tells me someone will be out at 5pm tomorrow to look at the problem. O.k.. so now starts a long conversation, more trouble shooting, and eventually talking to a supervisor that basically says to me, regardless of what you pay for the service, we're not going to do anything about it until tomorrow.

I can get that kind of poor service from the cable company and at a lower cost. Maybe it's time for me to cut telephone all together, use my cell phone, and get cable for internet.

Update on 3/20/2014. I moved 2 years ago and in the transaction with Frontier I got stuck with no phone service and having to change phone numbers even though before the move I was given no notification of that need. Thus I could wait 3 days to get my phone service at the new home, or the cable company could get me phone service in 2 hours. I picked the cable company. No longer with Frontier and don't even get telphone from the cable company anymore. I use cable internet and voip for telephone.

Comments:

Review by Luka1 See Profile

• Location: Index,Snohomish,WA
Good "Good, reliable service."
Bad "Cost."

Ok, I've been on Frontier DSL for about two years now.

I love it.

There have been problems, but I have never dealt with a company of any sort that never had any problems.

The people at Frontier are quick to try to solve any problems. And the field techs are top notch!

Comments:

Review by E Man1864 See Profile

• Location: Sylvania,Lucas,OH
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Fast new speeds (15-17 Mbps down), decent ping times, techs and CS are nice"
Bad "Couldn't get 24 Mbps"
Overall "Pretty decent ISP, get a higher speed plan if you expect to game online"

·buckeye cable
I started off with Verizon DSL, it was good, then I was switched over to Frontier. In the beginning, it was slow, then in February 2011, I upgraded to the 7.1/768 package (I listed the time it took for the upgrade in the "Days from order to success" column). I get decent speeds, but bad ping. I used to use a Westell 372W router, then they said it was outdated and gave me a Westell 7500. The only time it didn't work was through Summer 2011. Why? First, the storms. Second, I put the line going to the DSL modem/router through a surge protector (don't do that) and I immediately corrected that by connecting it directly to the wall. Here's a recent speed test I did »www.speedtest.net/result/2119025831.png. The phone service is good too.

UPDATE 12-11-12:

The Westell 7500 they gave me last year has given me slower speeds than usual. I still have the 7.1/768 package, but I get speeds like this: »www.speedtest.net/result/2366297310.png all the time. I am about 0.7 miles away from the DSLCO, so I should be able to get their faster speeds. Changed the "Connection Reliability" to 3 because of this. I will update when I get time to order a new modem/router from them.

UPDATE 2-25-14:

About 2 weeks ago, I ordered the 24 Mbps package. The tech came and fixed the outside wires and told me to wire the black and yellow pair if it wasn't already wired (it wasn't). I called to get the modem provisioned, but that didn't help get the speeds I ordered. The next day I called, and they said something about the black and yellow pairs. I called about a week later for a tech to come and fix the inside wiring and he came today. He had to re-authenticate the modem after fixing the splice wire in the other room. The new router is a ZyXEL P-663HN-51 ADSL2+ Bonded Wireless N router. I receive around 15-17 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up and »www.speedtest.net/result/3344056090.png is a recent speed test I did.

Comments:
Zionikk

join:2012-12-08
North Baltimore, OH

Check for Upgrades

If you're still with Frontier, you should call to see about any possible upgrades. Because I know that Bowling Green and Sylvania just got upgraded to VDSL recently. You may be able to get up to 25Mbps for residential services and 40Mbps for business.

Bowling Green and Sylvania are just to of the main cities that got upgraded. But they are upgrading in other areas as well. I would definitely look in to it. You might get lucky!

Review by landrover See Profile

• Location: Martinsburg,Berkeley,WV
Good "Great speed. ADSL2+, Good Ping, Consistent and no connection issues"
Overall "For the price, it really is a good deal with this speed. Cheaper than Comcast. "

We upgraded from the 3Mbps package to 12 Mbps, it was only about $10 increase per month. They said 24 Mbps was available, and we considered that but stuck with 12Mbps for now.

Install was quick and simple, however, they did not show up when they said they would.
Netgear ADSL2+ router used. Standard.

So far the connection is wonderful. It has great ping, and no drop in speed. We do a lot of streaming and rarely does it buffer.
Downloads run perfect. There's really nothing to complain about except for the fact that Frontier's top-tier speeds are really limited in areas. We live close to the CO so that is how we were able to get the upgrades.

Bottom line, living in town it's certainly cheaper than Comcast and works perfect. No complaints at all.

member for 1.3 years, 282 visits, last login: a few hours ago