Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by avisud See Profile

• Location: Kirkland,King,WA
Good "Reliable internet"
Bad "VEry slow, no upgrades to service in last 2 years, Pathetic customer service, No streaming services provided"
Overall "Stay away, "

Had the 15/5 package for last 2 years. No upgrades offered at all, while comcast has upgraded their service from 12/3 to 50/10. Online accounts/email account never works as expected, always land up calling customer service. Customer service reps are all across the board, contradicting one another in services offered.

Disappointed, high incentive to switch to comcast

Comments:

Review by siuuplink See Profile

• Location: Carbondale,Jackson,IL
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Extremely slow speeds"
Overall "No other choice"

Have had DSL for years, first with Verizon and then with Frontier when they took over the landlines in S. Illinois. Always had reliable service with Verizon. Cannot say the same for Frontier. For the past two months DSL download speeds fluctuate all over the place from a best of 1.52mbps down to .32kbps. Every time I call Frontier technical support I get the same story- "they are working on it and don't have any other information" and that "it is a congestion issue". So in other words, they have oversold this area and not installed equipment to handle increased demand. They cannot give me any more information. I find it astonishing that I live 4 miles from a major research university, yet I cannot get even a basic reliable internet connection from Frontier. My only option other than Frontier is satellite.

Comments:
tellyguy
join:2012-01-21
Saint Louis, MO

Internet Service

You should go to Clearwave.com to see if you can try to get their service. I know they serve most of Southern Illinois.

Frontiercom

@frontiernet.net

Frontier Internet

I live just north of St Paul, MN and have had Frontier for about 6 months. Just moved here and this is the only carrier according to what I've been told.

DSL is not terribly slow but hangs up quite frequently. I have tried to get online with Frontier a couple of times but seem to get lost in the "time warp" waiting for service and give up. Any thoughts or replies?

Review by diablo1892 See Profile

• Location: Friendly,Tyler,WV
Good "Every website I load up is fully loaded before i know it."
Bad "Customer supprt needs a little tweaking."
(ratings well above consensus)

·HughesNet Satell..
It may not be a fantastic company but it does what i need it for witch is hosting some game servers. Since I live so close to a nearby sub station, the technicians asked if i would like DSL bond ultimate. I don't know what bond ultimate means but we agreed to go with that. At end of installation, come to find out they had installed the wrong box on the side of the house so they will get that fixed ASAP.

Great company, just what i needed!
INSTALL DATE: 12/6/13

UPDATE 12/16/13
So Frontier had got the whole bandwidth capacity issue fixed. We are as of now getting 12952 Kbps / 1147 Kbps (according to the modem page)
Ran some tests and here is what I get:
»testmy.net/EDzJvwp.0M7LRyH.png
»testmy.net/4sUNArf.gKYO3WU.png
»testmy.net/PkEgQ1b.VDOtrIH.png
»testmy.net/DOqW6Va.8WcZnuv.png

I also have ran 20 ping time tests to see if anything had changed at all but I doubt anything did since the only thing they did was install bonded ultimate onto our service at the office. I get roughly 27ms with www.bing.com and get the same thing on my best pinged gaming server by counter strike global offensive. When I got a hold of someone by "cell" phone, it amazed me they give this such incredible technical support. When they say 24/7 technical support, they mean it!

All games are working excellent. I can host but with some lag due to distances between me and my friends that live on other side of globe. Connection strength is very clear. Only experienced one short outage so far, that occurred 2 nights ago for just 4, 2 minutes. I had no idea our old landline that still hangs from our old part of the house up to the phone pole on our property can do what it is doing now, line must be 25 or 30 years old by now but still very strong.

member for 3.3 years, 689 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Carl48 See Profile

• Location: Delaware,Delaware,OH
Good "It was a new learning experience."
Bad "Slammed"
Overall "Avoid at all costs"

Worst experience. Called for information about a plan and I was slammed even though I specifically stated that I was not placing an order but only asking for information.

Emails and phone calls attempting to schedule installation were all followed up by me with the reply that I had not placed an order and that I was slammed. Was assured each time that I had no order on file and it was taken care of- until the next call came to schedule installation! Don't even call them. Once they have your name and phone number, you are a customer!

Comments:

Review by yolarry See Profile

• Location: Creston,Wirt,WV
Good "Fast. Good Ping. "
Bad "Technical support needs a little improvement"
Overall "Better then Hughesnet"

·HughesNet Satell..
When you live in the rural area you got no choice but to switch from dial up or satellite to DSL. Finally after waiting for so long to get off the train wreck of Hughesnet. This year frontier answer my prayers and installed fiber optic lines. I had trouble with costumer service with techs giving me the run around and does give me a decent progress or ETA unless I talk the engineers from the remote box that is like 500 feet from my home which they don’t see to have no clue either . So 3 months later I talk to Ree GM Social Networking person, and she was very nice and send our order and 2 day air ship the netgear modem/router before they put the signs up on the remote box. Next day different tech calls in and say that she does not see anything listed on her database so I told the person it’s already taking care of, and she was being rude about saying my modem can’t do anything unless I am having account. So I hung up and called the main office, and the guy said it’s listed but I can only get 8mbps but funny thing the engineer tech was testing and getting 18 mbps. So I thought I go ahead and try 8mbps with $20 bucks a month. I got sick of paying $74 to Hughesnet. Not like I can upgrade anytime right? So 10/3/2013 the modem/router finally arrived. Place the filters hooked it up. DSL light blinking. Called the tech and he put me on hold for like 30 mins, and he tells me my neighborhood is set for 7th but he notices my neighbor is having a date for Friday installation so he’s going to put a request to check my end and see whats going on while he’s at neighbors. I know the box got redone in 2007 when a lighting storm struck the NIC beside my house. The line from the booth to the pole and to the house got replace in 2005. So could be an issue with junction haven’t rig up for DSL.. So next day (Friday) tech goes to the neighbor’s house. So I went to visit and ask if he got anything for me, and he said not without order #. So called frontier and to request the work order #. I was in a rush to get it to the tech before he leaves but the lady wanted to talk me into signing up for dish for like 5 mins and I told her we will discuss that later sometime but keeps bragging about it. So the guy hooked me up and told me to reboot my modem/router and should be getting 7mbps. WOOHOO

Benefits I like about this like about my new $20 internet

- I can game. That’s the major flow on hughesnet I couldn’t deal with it

- Unlimited. Now I can video chat with my friends and family over skype

- Netlifx. I’m a huge fan ever since I stay at my brother’s house.

- Weather does not kill my connection unlike hughesnet.

I’m overall happy since this the first time in my life I have DSL. I wouldn’t complain much to frontier but they really need some better techs.

Thanks for taking time to read this review. I just happy to get out of Hughesnet.

Update 11/12/2013: Still running rock solid. some hiccups with a couple of down times but all is good. I went ahead and upgrade to the 12mbps package and everything went fine but still getting crappy upload speed (1 mbps). I download some games from steam with my new package and sometimes it was hitting 15mbps. wow. Also, I been trying to port forward ports for an MW3 dedicated server off steam, but no mater what I tried I can't seem to get it open ports (Nat Strict) I even tried to bridge with my Linksys E3000 and still not letting me.

Update 12/4/2013: still running great. No bad luck! I saw my uptime 20 days and look at the chart and downloaded over 200GB last month. of course I brought a bunch of games on steam and watching netflix in HD on my xbox 360. Took the time and finally do windows update on all my pcs. Ask the neighbor if they have any issues and they say it's running great too!

Total on my phone bill with both internet and landline month $82

Comments:

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
·Frontier Communi..

Disappointed

Well, been close to 6 weeks since frontier started doing stuff in my area and after all the talk of us getting DSL. I have spoke with tammy(in parkersburg) several times and she's still saying "several weeks to go" but she said by the end of this year, everything will be complete(yeah, sure) I have'nt seen frontier do anything big down at the sub station in atleast 4 weeks now and there is snow on the ground already.

I guess 20 or maybe 40 more years of good old hughesnet. Hope frontier is treating you good atleast.
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password

Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

Review by staregazer See Profile

• Location: Sandyville,Jackson,WV
Good "Very consistent connection and speed for a rural area. They have dramatically increased speed, ping (15-20 ms) and reliability."
Bad "2 Year Contract Required for a small discount while competition doesn't require it. Some smart mouthed technicians"
Overall "Great service (a GOD send) but cable has better price and speed in some cases."

Satellite broadband which is a joke. Frontier is way better but then again almost anything is better than satellite.

A Westell 7500 modem with built in router was provided (updated to a Zyxel bonded modem).

Comments:

Lillian L Co

@frontiernet.net

E-mail

Frontier e-mail is terrible. I cannot get my mail very often and when I do I can read one and it freezes, I can't delete any mail, when I try to compose an e-mail it skips letters, and when I contact technical support I get a smart mouthed tech and after keying in my frontier telephone landline number to identify my account and the tech ask for it verbally I've been asked if I have my landline with Frontier Communications. My God. What kind of question is this? We pay almost $100.00 a month for the internet, frontier secure, and telephone service if you can call this service. Is there anyone who works for Frontier who can help a situation like this train wreck. Just like another train wreck I know.

yolarry

join:2007-12-29
Creston, WV

Re: E-mail

Never use a ISP e-mail account. you better off having something like gmail.

Review by lawsoncl See Profile

• Location: Spirit Lake,Kootenai,ID
Good "Mostly reliable, slows down a bit in heavy usage hours"
Bad "Capped at 1.5 service even though line support 4-meg"
Overall "Only available option, so I'm stuck"

Frontier customer support sucks. When you call for support, their goal is to get you off the phone. They keep closing tickets for no apparent reason. Their own techs have told me that my line will support up to 4.7-meg, but their helpdesk will insist that I'm only eligible for 1.5 meg in my market area. The real answer is that the Frontier infrastructure is so poor, that they are artificially limiting connection speeds so they can sell more service without actually upgrading their equipment.

Comments:

Review by jpw42 See Profile

• Location: Austin,Mower,MN
Good "It is better then dial up... maybee... when it works..."
Bad "Slow, unreliable, bad service "
Overall "If you have any choice, dont choose Frontier."

They often lie to you when you are having problems. Tell you it is a problem on your side. I have been in the middle of exams for school and oops... no internet. I guess that I just have to call the Professor and beg for more time to take the test. AVOID at all costs.

Comments:

Review by ydoucare See Profile

• Location: Lafayette,Tippecanoe,IN
Good "Decent speed"
Bad "Unstable in the evenings"
Overall "It works as a last resort"

I live in an apartment that has their own janky cable internet, so my only other option is Frontier. Placed an order for the 12/2 package on a Sunday for scheduled installation on Wednesday. Nobody showed up during the scheduled time window for installation, so I called them up. They couldn't really tell me why this happened. The woman on the phone told me that Friday would be the earliest she could get it scheduled. I politely told her they were not making a good first impression, which she agreed, and told me she would try to see if she could get me scheduled for the next day (Thursday) and contact me back. This was at around 11:30 AM. 5:30 PM rolls around and I hadn't heard from anybody. I called Frontier to inquire what was going on. They told me that at around 11:30 AM, the installation had been re-scheduled for Friday. Friday rolls around and the installation goes without issue. Speed tests show a solid 11.7/1.7ish.

It is quite clear, though, that in the evenings, Frontier has oversold their equipment. Latency goes up and jumps all over the place. It generally stays below 100, but is *very* jittery in the evenings. Bandwidth does suffer as well in the evenings, as shown below. Based on what I've read about this company, i'm not holding my breath for them to ever fix these issues, in fact, I expect it to get worse. I'm all too used to this BS after being on Centurylink for the last several years at my previous residence.

Non-peak hour speed test: »www.speedtest.net/result/3107202410.png

Peak hour speed test: »www.speedtest.net/result/3110394111.png

member for 11.4 years, 3021 visits, last login: 157 days ago

Comments:

Review by sniper2323 See Profile

• Location: Bonners Ferry,Boundary,ID
Good "Local techs try hard to fix problems, good price. $19.95, month to month. "
Bad "Was told 7+Meg d/l... I'm getting around 2 meg."
Overall "Really the only game in town, so there you go."

So far, looks like the same service I left several years ago. I will update as things progress. So far, it could get a lot better.