Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by schipper See Profile

• Location: Nebo,Mcdowell,NC
Good "Not much, most of the people at the call center speak english, which is good because you will be calling them often."
Bad "It is constantly down. When it is working its slow, and they havn't improved the speeds in 3 years."
Overall "Go with any other provider if possible, even Sat if you can deal with the latency. "

I have had their service since they took over from Verizon and it has consistently gotten worse since that point. In the past year I haven't had a single month where it hasn't gone down at least once. Their support is completely useless as well, quoting as much as 9 days out for repair sometimes. When you do call in you almost always end up with someone reading off a script who is unable to do anything other then schedule an appointment for next week. All in all its the single worst service I have ever dealt with and I am selling my house just to get away from them.

Comments:

Review by zebibyte See Profile

• Location: Fairview,Multnomah,OR
Good "Great speeds, Nice HD TV"
Bad "Core network can get overloaded links"
Overall "FIOS service is great if you can get it"

Great 35/35 FIOS service and full HD channel package. I"ve got my ONT inside in a closet, so no weather related issues. Ethernet handoff to my own router, works great.

Comments:

Review by aguypd See Profile

• Location: Silver Springs,Wyoming,NY
Good "First year is free"
Bad "We lose our connection every time it rains"
Overall "Switched back to RR"

(update 2013-06)There hasn't been any improvement in the service from Frontier. The latency still runs 60-70 ms and the bandwidth is still down around 3.5 Mbs on the 10 Mbs service.

(update 2012-11)Recently the Internet service seems to have degraded. The latency has increased to near 70 ms and the connection resets several times a day with a new IP address being issued each time.

(update 2010-09)I am still glad that I switched back to Road Runner. However, my mother still uses Frontier's DSL. She consistenly gets bandwidths around 3.5 Mbs on her 10 Mbs service. The latency is usually around 50 ms. It can be frustrating to work on the computers at her house and attempting to use the Internet, after getting used to Road Runner at home.

We decided to get rid of our telephone service with Frontier, too, and switch to Time Warner's Digital Phone. Frontier wanted to charge us $200 because they said we had entered into a 2 year contract with them for the Telephone service. The two years for the DSL when we had it, ended back in May of 2010, and we never agreed to a 2 year contract, so I guess they just automatically put us on one.

My wife called the service department and complained and the customer service representative, said that they would cancel the $200 charge.

(update)After continuously comparing bandwidth between my mom's dsl with Frontier and our Road Runner connection, the Road Runner connection is always about three times the bandwidth and less than half of the latency.

(update)My mother, who still has Frontier DSL, got hit by lightning. She called Frontier's customer service and told them that she lost the phones and DSL. The service tech came out and got the phones back online, but never checked the DSL. She had to call them again and finally drove an hour to one of their centers, to pick up a new modem.

(update)Forget trying to get anywhere with their customer service. If you tell them you have an issue, only when it is raining and the lines are wet, they will still send a technician the next day, even though the sun is shining and everything is dried out.

(update)Switched back to Road Runner after less than six months with Frontiernet. It was a mistake to ever switch to Frontiernet.

Switched from Time Warner's Road Runner to Frontiernet's 10M DSL with a new plan that the first year is free and the second year is only $30/month and a promise that the 10M was available to our house. This turned out to be a mistake

After having the service for almost a month, we had several problems and tech support was a 45 minute wait on the phone. Technicians came out the next day and found a problem between us and the CO. Our speeds, 3568/374, are better than they were yesterday, 503/260, but not as good as they had been, 4417/376. This definitely is not what they promised us, though.

Apparently, when it rains our connection is unstable. This is terrible. I guess I have to hope for a drought, so I can have a good connection. Because of the bad connections in the wet weather, Frontier keeps throttling back our speed, instead of fixing the actual problem. The latency has really tanked, too. We were getting a latency around 35 ms, but now we are over 80 ms.

Every time it rains, we can look forward to speeds around 500/200 and a latency over 100 ms. It is terrible.

Frontier has released their announcement on their caps, and our speed is down to 95/78 with a latency of 695 ms. Go figure.

After lying to us about the availability of 10M being available in our area and their position on net neutrality, I am not holding our breath about their honesty, that people in their price protection agreement, won't be capped, also.

member for 5.9 years, 2314 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dssidnt See Profile

• Location: Flushing,Belmont,OH
Bad "Unreliable. Sometimes the speed is tolerable, but then drops."
Overall "If you can avoid getting Frontier, please choose another way if possible."

I am in a rural area. When I called to inquire, they promised a guaranteed speed of 3Mbps. After installation I was lucky to barely get 1.5. They have improved a little bit as my speed is now about 2.5. I would like to switch to cable, but we live quite a way from the main cable line, so it is not an option, and satellite pricing is out of the question.

Comments:

Review by timkedojeh See Profile

• Location: Olney,Richland,IL
Good "Decent speeds, if you can get them"
Bad "Extreme congestion and terrible reps"
Overall "If Frontier's your only choice, move."

We've had Frontier service since the lines were Verizon. Back then, things were good; out in the middle of nowhere, you can't expect much. The moment Frontier took over, things starting going downhill. First came the congestion as they added more customers to already-saturated areas, then the price hikes.

The beginning of the end was three days ago. We scheduled to have our home phone disconnected (since everyone has a cell phone). Since the phone was turned off, our speeds have been atrocious. I finally decided to check the transceiver statistics and, huh, our previously provisioned 3Mbps line was now reading 1.5Mbps (1684). Plenty of margin to spare, so it obviously wasn't a line issue.

I called support and asked them what was up. They tried to convince me that the most I could've ever been provisioned for was 1.5, I never had 3, and that the entire area was restricted to 1.5. (Huh, so what was with those sales you guys did as soon as you took over, advertising 7.1?)

It's obvious that Frontier is over-saturated to the point where new customers are being held back to the bare minimums to maintain network quality for everyone else. It's a slap in the face that they're doing it to established customers as well when we change services. The fact that the rep had the balls to lie to me was the last straw.

In the morning, I'm calling NewWave, I'm getting a RG6 cable buried down the 400ft driveway, and I'm saying goodbye and good riddance to Frontier forever. Never again!

Comments:

Review by Aznightfalls See Profile

• Location: Lake Havasu City,Mohave,AZ
Good "The local customer service people"
Bad "Speed."
Overall "Most times do not even get half the speed paying for."

Local office is great to deal with. The DL speed really bites. I have 6/1 and can only get 2.3/1 Which means Netflix locks, games dont play well. I am looking to change to wireless maybe, just not cable since they meter.

Comments:

Review by icex See Profile

• Location: USA
  • Telco party Focal
Good "100x better than colane cable!"
Bad "Install date took awile"
Overall "Love it"

7/20/13

I've had ups and downs lately with Frontier. It seems the service drops alot now adays, and stays down for 2-3 hours at a time sometimes.

I called and talked to a tech about the issue. He told me to plug my modem straight into my pc. When I informed him the modem was in bridge mode, he stated it would still work. I told him it would not because it goes through my linksys router. He got smart with me telling me I had no idea what I was doing and he has done this for years. I told him I've done it for years as well and know what I'm talking about. He creates a ticket and says it'll be installed the next week, and offers to sell me a bunch of bs.

The following Wensday it was fixed. Sometimes my speed goes down to 1-2mb and sometimes it'll still crash for hours, but not as bad as before.

I still recommend Frontier but expect to be treated with respect when I call their tech support.
-----------
*5/27/2012*
They upgraded me to 6mb. I have been getting around 5.5mbps steady. I love frontier (its alot better than colane cable!)

Ordered 3/26 and was given a install date of 4/9. Neighbor ordered 3/27 and got it 3/29. I waited paitently until the 5th and went to the Central office and asked why I hadent got mine installed yet. Next day they came and installed it.

I use to use colane cable, and had a 6mb package. I would only get 500k through the evenings with a ping of over 500. Horrible..

Anyway, Frontier was suppose to be 6mb but since they just installed the dslam it is currently 3mb and we are suppose to be updated to 6 by the end of the year

Overall im happy.

Comments:

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID

I love hearing peoples positive reviews I love it as well.

Review by CAPThomas See Profile

• Location: Mount Dora,Lake,FL
Good "Installation, Actual vs Quoted Speed, Field Technicians, No Contract"
Bad "Disconnects, Communication of Appointment Window from Sales to Technician"
Overall "Good value where there is little / no competition"

Until this month, I have not been able to get Internet service at my seasonal cottage in northern lower Michigan. Frontier just started offering dsl in my area. I called on Thursday, ordered their "Max" service of up to 6 MB service. They offered to mail a self installation kit, but I declined, stating that I did not want to have to climb the pole to run a drop, or to open their cable boxes to connect at the junction boxes at the street. I did not have wired telephone service or a drop.

I was told that they could schedule a technician to install, but it would likely be a week out, vs the three days I requested. After pulling the credit report and setting up the account, Sales advised that there was a 4 - 6 PM appointment available on Saturday, within two days. I accepted.

When I got to the cottage at 2:30 PM on Saturday, I found a card that the technician had already been there, could not install, and to call for a new appointment. I drove toward town to call and saw a Frontier Technician working at a box about three miles up the road. He agreed to return later Saturday and do my install. Interesting, he advised that the dispatch window given to him was noon - 3 PM and they they never worked past 5 PM.

He did a competent, neat install, explained what I was doing, showed me test speeds of 6.944/1.152, or more than the 6 MB ordered, and explained the receiver use and settings. I am only about 350 feet from their line to fiber box.

So - within about 50 hours of ordering, I was online with acceptable speeds.

I've found that the Model 7550 receiver drops the connection several times / day, but comes back promptly when I power it down / up. For me, this is a small price to pay considering that I was previously unable to get Internet or cell service at my cottage.

I've had a few speed slowdowns, which appear to be network congestion, and had a bit of difficulty setting up my vpn service, but otherwise all is good.

Overall, I'm pleased.

Cap

member for 12.3 years, 396 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by darthfadar See Profile

• Location: Mcminnville,Yamhill,OR
Good "Fast, stable"
Bad "Haven't found any bad, yet"
Overall "Better value than Comcast"

Got Frontier FIOS, today. Tech was on time, polite & answered all my questions. All hardware was installed & running with an hour & half.

Tech then helped setup wireless configuration & verified all devices we running on the network.

Speeds are great. No latency & the price is half of what Comcast offered.

Good to go!

Comments:

Review by csmith

• Location: Concho,Apache,AZ

I don't know how I could possibly hate a ISP any more than I hate Frontier!

I not only am forced to have Frontier DSL at my residence... and pay for two DSL lines because they just can't provide me with enough speed to browse
the internet AND stream netflix or any other media outlet at the same time.

Also, I am in IT as a Managed Services Provider. I have problems with EVERY
SINGLE client that uses Frontier! I am not joking or exxagerating! Their service is abysmal! There have been several times that I have noticed ALL of
our customers in a geographic location lose their internet... only to call
Frontier and have them deny they are experiencing any outage in the area.
Every time without exception, I will remain on the call long enough for the
"outage notification" to reach their call center staff... usually after at
least 30 minutes of a whole section of NE Arizona being out... completely.
.. before their own engineers even know it! Sad,

If I had ANY other choice... I would happily tell them to stick it! I may have found a new Wi-Power provider that I will happily be moving to, without
a single second of care regarding the cost!

Frontier HAS to be the absolute WORST ISP out there. I simply cannot understand how they remain in business outside of their corner on the rural market.

Maddening!

(review was emailed from domain computertechnologiesllc.com)

Comments:

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

The absolute worst..

I wholeheartedly agree with your post. Frontier is the worst.
faxmachine

join:2005-07-20
Oakland, CA

Re: The absolute worst..

I'll agree with that. I've got to deal with Frontier in Middletown NY. Their speeds are abysmal and their tech support is poor at best.

Private

@rr.com

Former employee

Here's the 411 on frontier-it's a piece of shit company! They lie and are very sneaky bout adding extra charges on ur bill including the newest one Auto Migration. Anyone that was verizon and then frontier is now ur provider-u r going to get screwed. For example-when someone was with verizon and had phone and Internet with no contract-ur bill is going to start raising $6 on the Internet every month till it reaches the new price of either $34.99, 44.99 or Internet only customers with no contract (during verizon era) to 39.99 or 49.99. It depends on the area u live in for those prices and nothing u can do about it. Frontier doesn't want to pay for "grandfathered packages" anymore and they will lie and tell u frontier notified u but they didn't. It's on page 4 of ur bill-that was the notification. Next on my list-dsl service. Frontier states they can provide 15 to 25m service in ur area. Um that's a lie. When I would get calls bout that-I would call another dept to see if the area was capped and most of the time it was. Too much congestion is what they would say. Then I would ask the engineer to check for another central office location to hookup customers and they would always say "we r working on it". They don't give 2 shits about any of u only their dsl sales-that's it. It's like working in a prison with no windows and there r wardens everywhere waiting to whip u back into shape. It's horrible! U wanna know why I got fired-for telling the customer the truth bout their bill and why their dsl is so slow. I got tired of lying-I was raised better than that-everyday I went to hell and back and it's not worth it! One more thing-all u verizon customers who have or had 3 to 7m dsl-I would do a speed test-because I guarantee ur getting 1.5 and ur most likely paying for 3 or 7-even if u call in-the reps r only allowed to go back to 3 months for credit-so if u want more than that-a supervisor will help u with that.

Re: Former employee

it's 2013 (for me) I have had MIGRAINE headaches dealing with Frontiers CSR's one after another the list is LONG.. I FINALLY got of a supervisor & email address & asked for a copy of my original contract.. she said she would email me a copy of it.. NEVER got it! Another Rep gave me a reasonable credit.. & stayed on the phone while my bank transferred money to Frontiers online bill pay system.. It NEVER showed it as being paid.. Fortunately I have documentation for evry Rep I spoke with, their name's, which state they are located in & the conversation we had.. I have reference #'s, confirm#'s for my online billing (THAT THEY HAVE NO RECORD OF RECEIVING) I finally said to hell with it! DISCONNECT ME! I DONT CARE ABOUT THE CANCELLATION FEE!!! FUNNY, I am still getting monthly bills LOL for service I dont have at the price my contract was when I signed up! LMBO! This is June 12 2013 the end of my yearly contract... Got a bill for $400.00 just yesterday Lol Has anyone ever read the fine print in the contract/penalty etc etc? Toward the end, It says: in laymen terms that Frontier would rather settle your account issues than going to court.. REALLY? OTFLMBO I pointed that out to them & got transferred to someone else who said they were looking into it.. OMG! DAM they are good at passing the buck&avoiding the customer! U think they will avoid sending my account to collections? I DONT CARE! I'll pay it off in increments (something FRONTIER said they would do).. a 'deferred payment plan') But later said, sorry you dont qualify for that! Ha Ha Ha ADIOS FRONTIER!! EVERYTHING I have documented would drive someone INSANE! No more headaches though.. YAY ME!!!

Private

@rr.com

Re: Former employee

Yep that sounds like frontier. I would get so many calls bout that too. The process of any credit over 100 goes to a vp who then approves/disapproves-is how the process works. In my personal opinion-I know u r tired of calling back in-but if u have documentation of never signing a contract-they have to waive it. I did it many times for people. Good luck to you! Being fired is a "blessing in disguise"-I'm home with my children and my hubby-very happy.

Re: Former employee

Good for you! I'm glad that you are happy & have a clear conscience.. no, I'm not going to communicate with them any longer.. Iv ben battling Frontier w them for way too long...I took enough of my time to investigate their devious practices..have already talked to a supervisor that gave me a reasonable credit he confirmed that he got my payment from my bank while he stayed on the phone with me, he gave me a confirmation number and his email..Unfortunately my next billing didnt list this credit, neither did the next billing period, plus I got late charges for 3 months..I emailed this supervisor & he never emailed me back.. I had to laugh at the whole thing or continue to have Migraine headaches..

East Wenatchee, WA
A Supervisor in Florida (Ilive In WA State) gave me a reasonable credit to my account & stayed on the line while I cald my bank so I could pay online.. he said it went through asked if I was happy with that credit & gave me his email address.. when the bill came (NO CREDIT) plus late charges for 3 months..I cald & asked any of the rep'sif they could get ahold of him &they said that they emailed him & NO RESPONSE..Icancelled my service..I dont care about the cancellation charges..I talked to every rep in the U.S. and 1 in South America..get this.. I received in the mail a letter saying I am late on my bill.. it wasnt even a Frontier billing statement a letter unsigned..AND even after FRONTIER & I agreed to OPT OUT of paper statements for online billing BECAUSE it would be less costly..IM DONE w/FRONTIER! GOOD RIDDENCE!
jojomojo6969

join:2013-06-13
Albany, NY

to csmith in concho

hello, i just bought a lot in a subdivision in concho and your review of frontier made me ill. the broadband max option they offer is poor too? do you have an opinion of the broadband blue cell tower internet ? are there any improvements expected in the area you may be familiar with?, thank you