Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by siuuplink See Profile

• Location: Carbondale,Jackson,IL
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Extremely slow speeds"
Overall "No other choice"

Have had DSL for years, first with Verizon and then with Frontier when they took over the landlines in S. Illinois. Always had reliable service with Verizon. Cannot say the same for Frontier. For the past two months DSL download speeds fluctuate all over the place from a best of 1.52mbps down to .32kbps. Every time I call Frontier technical support I get the same story- "they are working on it and don't have any other information" and that "it is a congestion issue". So in other words, they have oversold this area and not installed equipment to handle increased demand. They cannot give me any more information. I find it astonishing that I live 4 miles from a major research university, yet I cannot get even a basic reliable internet connection from Frontier. My only option other than Frontier is satellite.

Comments:
tellyguy
join:2012-01-21
Saint Louis, MO

Internet Service

You should go to Clearwave.com to see if you can try to get their service. I know they serve most of Southern Illinois.

Frontiercom

@frontiernet.net

Frontier Internet

I live just north of St Paul, MN and have had Frontier for about 6 months. Just moved here and this is the only carrier according to what I've been told.

DSL is not terribly slow but hangs up quite frequently. I have tried to get online with Frontier a couple of times but seem to get lost in the "time warp" waiting for service and give up. Any thoughts or replies?

Review by diablo1892 See Profile

• Location: Friendly,Tyler,WV
Good "Every website I load up is fully loaded before i know it."
Bad "Customer supprt needs a little tweaking."
(ratings well above consensus)

·HughesNet Satell..
It may not be a fantastic company but it does what i need it for witch is hosting some game servers. Since I live so close to a nearby sub station, the technicians asked if i would like DSL bond ultimate. I don't know what bond ultimate means but we agreed to go with that. At end of installation, come to find out they had installed the wrong box on the side of the house so they will get that fixed ASAP.

Great company, just what i needed!
INSTALL DATE: 12/6/13

UPDATE 12/16/13
So Frontier had got the whole bandwidth capacity issue fixed. We are as of now getting 12952 Kbps / 1147 Kbps (according to the modem page)
Ran some tests and here is what I get:
»testmy.net/EDzJvwp.0M7LRyH.png
»testmy.net/4sUNArf.gKYO3WU.png
»testmy.net/PkEgQ1b.VDOtrIH.png
»testmy.net/DOqW6Va.8WcZnuv.png

I also have ran 20 ping time tests to see if anything had changed at all but I doubt anything did since the only thing they did was install bonded ultimate onto our service at the office. I get roughly 27ms with www.bing.com and get the same thing on my best pinged gaming server by counter strike global offensive. When I got a hold of someone by "cell" phone, it amazed me they give this such incredible technical support. When they say 24/7 technical support, they mean it!

All games are working excellent. I can host but with some lag due to distances between me and my friends that live on other side of globe. Connection strength is very clear. Only experienced one short outage so far, that occurred 2 nights ago for just 4, 2 minutes. I had no idea our old landline that still hangs from our old part of the house up to the phone pole on our property can do what it is doing now, line must be 25 or 30 years old by now but still very strong.

member for 3.3 years, 680 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by Carl48 See Profile

• Location: Delaware,Delaware,OH
Good "It was a new learning experience."
Bad "Slammed"
Overall "Avoid at all costs"

Worst experience. Called for information about a plan and I was slammed even though I specifically stated that I was not placing an order but only asking for information.

Emails and phone calls attempting to schedule installation were all followed up by me with the reply that I had not placed an order and that I was slammed. Was assured each time that I had no order on file and it was taken care of- until the next call came to schedule installation! Don't even call them. Once they have your name and phone number, you are a customer!

Comments:

Review by yolarry See Profile

• Location: Creston,Wirt,WV
Good "Fast. Good Ping. "
Bad "Technical support needs a little improvement"
Overall "Better then Hughesnet"

·HughesNet Satell..
When you live in the rural area you got no choice but to switch from dial up or satellite to DSL. Finally after waiting for so long to get off the train wreck of Hughesnet. This year frontier answer my prayers and installed fiber optic lines. I had trouble with costumer service with techs giving me the run around and does give me a decent progress or ETA unless I talk the engineers from the remote box that is like 500 feet from my home which they don’t see to have no clue either . So 3 months later I talk to Ree GM Social Networking person, and she was very nice and send our order and 2 day air ship the netgear modem/router before they put the signs up on the remote box. Next day different tech calls in and say that she does not see anything listed on her database so I told the person it’s already taking care of, and she was being rude about saying my modem can’t do anything unless I am having account. So I hung up and called the main office, and the guy said it’s listed but I can only get 8mbps but funny thing the engineer tech was testing and getting 18 mbps. So I thought I go ahead and try 8mbps with $20 bucks a month. I got sick of paying $74 to Hughesnet. Not like I can upgrade anytime right? So 10/3/2013 the modem/router finally arrived. Place the filters hooked it up. DSL light blinking. Called the tech and he put me on hold for like 30 mins, and he tells me my neighborhood is set for 7th but he notices my neighbor is having a date for Friday installation so he’s going to put a request to check my end and see whats going on while he’s at neighbors. I know the box got redone in 2007 when a lighting storm struck the NIC beside my house. The line from the booth to the pole and to the house got replace in 2005. So could be an issue with junction haven’t rig up for DSL.. So next day (Friday) tech goes to the neighbor’s house. So I went to visit and ask if he got anything for me, and he said not without order #. So called frontier and to request the work order #. I was in a rush to get it to the tech before he leaves but the lady wanted to talk me into signing up for dish for like 5 mins and I told her we will discuss that later sometime but keeps bragging about it. So the guy hooked me up and told me to reboot my modem/router and should be getting 7mbps. WOOHOO

Benefits I like about this like about my new $20 internet

- I can game. That’s the major flow on hughesnet I couldn’t deal with it

- Unlimited. Now I can video chat with my friends and family over skype

- Netlifx. I’m a huge fan ever since I stay at my brother’s house.

- Weather does not kill my connection unlike hughesnet.

I’m overall happy since this the first time in my life I have DSL. I wouldn’t complain much to frontier but they really need some better techs.

Thanks for taking time to read this review. I just happy to get out of Hughesnet.

Update 11/12/2013: Still running rock solid. some hiccups with a couple of down times but all is good. I went ahead and upgrade to the 12mbps package and everything went fine but still getting crappy upload speed (1 mbps). I download some games from steam with my new package and sometimes it was hitting 15mbps. wow. Also, I been trying to port forward ports for an MW3 dedicated server off steam, but no mater what I tried I can't seem to get it open ports (Nat Strict) I even tried to bridge with my Linksys E3000 and still not letting me.

Update 12/4/2013: still running great. No bad luck! I saw my uptime 20 days and look at the chart and downloaded over 200GB last month. of course I brought a bunch of games on steam and watching netflix in HD on my xbox 360. Took the time and finally do windows update on all my pcs. Ask the neighbor if they have any issues and they say it's running great too!

Total on my phone bill with both internet and landline month $82

Comments:

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
·Frontier Communi..

Disappointed

Well, been close to 6 weeks since frontier started doing stuff in my area and after all the talk of us getting DSL. I have spoke with tammy(in parkersburg) several times and she's still saying "several weeks to go" but she said by the end of this year, everything will be complete(yeah, sure) I have'nt seen frontier do anything big down at the sub station in atleast 4 weeks now and there is snow on the ground already.

I guess 20 or maybe 40 more years of good old hughesnet. Hope frontier is treating you good atleast.
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password

Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

Review by staregazer See Profile

• Location: Sandyville,Jackson,WV
Good "Very consistent connection and speed for a rural area. They have dramatically increased speed, ping (15-20 ms) and reliability."
Bad "2 Year Contract Required for a small discount while competition doesn't require it. Some smart mouthed technicians"
Overall "Great service (a GOD send) but cable has better price and speed in some cases."

Satellite broadband which is a joke. Frontier is way better but then again almost anything is better than satellite.

A Westell 7500 modem with built in router was provided (updated to a Zyxel bonded modem).

Comments:

Lillian L Co

@frontiernet.net

E-mail

Frontier e-mail is terrible. I cannot get my mail very often and when I do I can read one and it freezes, I can't delete any mail, when I try to compose an e-mail it skips letters, and when I contact technical support I get a smart mouthed tech and after keying in my frontier telephone landline number to identify my account and the tech ask for it verbally I've been asked if I have my landline with Frontier Communications. My God. What kind of question is this? We pay almost $100.00 a month for the internet, frontier secure, and telephone service if you can call this service. Is there anyone who works for Frontier who can help a situation like this train wreck. Just like another train wreck I know.

yolarry

join:2007-12-29
Creston, WV

Re: E-mail

Never use a ISP e-mail account. you better off having something like gmail.

Review by lawsoncl See Profile

• Location: Spirit Lake,Kootenai,ID
Good "Mostly reliable, slows down a bit in heavy usage hours"
Bad "Capped at 1.5 service even though line support 4-meg"
Overall "Only available option, so I'm stuck"

Frontier customer support sucks. When you call for support, their goal is to get you off the phone. They keep closing tickets for no apparent reason. Their own techs have told me that my line will support up to 4.7-meg, but their helpdesk will insist that I'm only eligible for 1.5 meg in my market area. The real answer is that the Frontier infrastructure is so poor, that they are artificially limiting connection speeds so they can sell more service without actually upgrading their equipment.

Comments:

Review by jpw42 See Profile

• Location: Austin,Mower,MN
Good "It is better then dial up... maybee... when it works..."
Bad "Slow, unreliable, bad service "
Overall "If you have any choice, dont choose Frontier."

They often lie to you when you are having problems. Tell you it is a problem on your side. I have been in the middle of exams for school and oops... no internet. I guess that I just have to call the Professor and beg for more time to take the test. AVOID at all costs.

Comments:

Review by ydoucare See Profile

• Location: Lafayette,Tippecanoe,IN
Good "Decent speed"
Bad "Unstable in the evenings"
Overall "It works as a last resort"

I live in an apartment that has their own janky cable internet, so my only other option is Frontier. Placed an order for the 12/2 package on a Sunday for scheduled installation on Wednesday. Nobody showed up during the scheduled time window for installation, so I called them up. They couldn't really tell me why this happened. The woman on the phone told me that Friday would be the earliest she could get it scheduled. I politely told her they were not making a good first impression, which she agreed, and told me she would try to see if she could get me scheduled for the next day (Thursday) and contact me back. This was at around 11:30 AM. 5:30 PM rolls around and I hadn't heard from anybody. I called Frontier to inquire what was going on. They told me that at around 11:30 AM, the installation had been re-scheduled for Friday. Friday rolls around and the installation goes without issue. Speed tests show a solid 11.7/1.7ish.

It is quite clear, though, that in the evenings, Frontier has oversold their equipment. Latency goes up and jumps all over the place. It generally stays below 100, but is *very* jittery in the evenings. Bandwidth does suffer as well in the evenings, as shown below. Based on what I've read about this company, i'm not holding my breath for them to ever fix these issues, in fact, I expect it to get worse. I'm all too used to this BS after being on Centurylink for the last several years at my previous residence.

Non-peak hour speed test: »www.speedtest.net/result/3107202410.png

Peak hour speed test: »www.speedtest.net/result/3110394111.png

member for 11.4 years, 3021 visits, last login: 147 days ago

Comments:

Review by sniper2323 See Profile

• Location: Bonners Ferry,Boundary,ID
Good "Local techs try hard to fix problems, good price. $19.95, month to month. "
Bad "Was told 7+Meg d/l... I'm getting around 2 meg."
Overall "Really the only game in town, so there you go."

So far, looks like the same service I left several years ago. I will update as things progress. So far, it could get a lot better.

Comments:

Review by Sarick See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "none"
Bad "Multiple repair tickets for same problem"
Overall "It's the only service available"

They upgraded the download caps we loved the fact of having maximum connection limits. Service was wonderful and our connection was stable.

We contacted support over technical issues of being disconnected recently 3/2008. This happened after a line was damaged in route to our house was repaired. (a tree fell on the lines) An intermittent issue caused attenuation to reach over 60+ causing our connections to drop with an average that was 51. After contacting the tech support a ticket was issued.

The problem appeared to be resolved and out connection was again working at about 2m+ down. We again started having issues, We again contacted support after unusual errors. That night our max limit prematurely dropped to the minimum guaranteed rates. The problems with drop offs continued and we again contacted support. The next day a tech visited our hour for the first time and we had no issues.

Unfortunately, because of contacting support our connection limits that where previously 100% reliable before 2008 where permanently capped. I contacted support and was given the run around that we only guarantee 1m down and because the problem is fixed they don't understand why I'm upset.

UPDATE:

I finally contacted, frontier nets main company about this issue and a nice employee called me back withing hours. The issue was fixed and my line was upgraded to 2.6 meg. Today it went down for the first time in months after I called up over congestion. now it's at 3.7 almost 4 meg down.

There are still a lot of errors but I suppose as long as the line is stable and fast I'm not complaining. I'm very please that this single representative got through the red tape and fixed everything.

UPDATE:11/11/09

did a line test seems ok enough but as you can see they still have some minor backbone network issues that aren't on my end.

»/linequality/nil/2585263

UPDATE:10/25/13

4 days ago at around 10:47 I think on Oct. 22 the internet went down. After 24 hours of no service I tried calling up the tech repair lines. I was greeted with the disconnected message "We're sorry, the number you dialed in not in service at this time please~~" Not only did the internet go down but the phone lines where knocked out so that no outside local numbers could be accessed.

I decided to dial 0 and speak to an operator. That managed to work she was able to transfer me to the line repair. After speaking to this representative she issued a ticket for the phone then transferred me to DSL tech support. I spoke him about the internet. They was having issues in my area with no sentiment on repair. I thanked him nicely and finished the call.

After another 2 days of waiting I called up again asking when DSL service would be restored. This representative seemed like he know there was a problem but could offer no repair quote. I ask him if this was indefinite until farther notice. He implied that yes there was working to resolve the issues. On the 24th I called again wanting to see if there was an update on the situation. I was greeted with the warning that high speed connections in and around (private) and (private) near me where still experiencing issues.

After waiting on the line several minutes a person got on the phone. I explained my information ask a few questions. He told it wasn't his problem to that my internet wasn't working. Apparently, my experience and the settings that I've been using the past three years with my equipment where irrelevant. He then then ask for a number to call me back if we got disconnected. His suggestion was to hook up a frontier modem router so he could do a scripted support call. He was unaware the the only modem frontier sent me was dated back to 2008 and also no longer supported. He then said we are currently experiencing no outages in your area. I ask him to hold on the line. I three way called frontier on the second line and let him listen to the frontier message. He hung up the phone after a few seconds of the frontier message.

I looked through my logs modem sync etc. The ADSL sync, ethernet connection and line stability all checked out fine. What I found was that the PPPoE was timing out on their end. Either the server was ignoring my request or it was down. I called up my neighbor and ask his if his internet was up. He seemed antagonistic but logged on his provided modem/router without much issue. Clearly something was up.

Well, oddly it was so this lead me into some investigation. I tried multiple PPPoE connections both on the router and bypassing the router though the modems internal router. In all cases PPPoE authentication never worked. I then decided to remove my DSL modem and use the old frontier modem/router in bridged mode. It also failed. I then tried to access it using the original frontier settings to connect through PPPoE. This being a frontier modem/router with the technician settings. This should've allowed their hardware to connect through their hardware and setup. Low and behold this also failed.

I decided to drop the PPPoE authentication and use the long outdated PPPoA settings from back when the service was introduced into my area. I had to manually enter these settings into the modem router as the newer device didn't have them per-programmed. Oddly, the modem was able to authenticate PPPoA. I'm at a loss for words. Clearly something at frontier was broken or set to restrict connections. I can no longer bridge over PPPoE with any device. Sadly, If PPPoE works it must need need extra perimeters or specific MAC addresses range (forcing frontier equipment) or cloning.

The only reason I'm able to write this updated review is because I'm double routing though the frontier modem that is authenticated by PPPoA. Apparently, they didn't fully phase it out in my area so I lucked out.

My internet is crippled and Frontier will not even open up communication to resolve my issues. As you can see I've been trying several days with no results. This is clearly not the most professional way to help a paid customer that's having technical issues. There is no way to resolve the problem if the engineers are hiding behind scripted tech support personnel.

Right now my connection is crippled it barely works and anything that uses the external ip internally or through the firewall is severely limited.

UPDATE:10/25/13 (part two later that day)

After contacting (unnamed) at frontier consumer affairs and getting past the red tape a tech called me to discuss setting up a new modem from frontier. I feared the tech would push it off as my only equipment choice and insist situation was because incompatible hardware on my end. After a few minutes of discussion we agreed to let him setup a modem and test it at the d-slam. After this call my DSL sync went down. I switched back in my old modem setup that wasn't working in case it came back up fully.

After a few minutes remarkably it came back up and my PPPoE connection established at 3712 using the same hardware/setup prior to the loss of internet. Woohoo!, It then abruptly was dropped again. I Called him up to tell him that I established a connection and PPPoE was started working on my end again. He explained the issue was a bad network port on their end that caused this issue. The reason the connection came back up is the card port was bad/replaced. Amazing ADSL sync, end to end ping almost everything checked out but the PPPoE POP failed to create a session when the PADO packets timed out.

When the connection came back up the second time I noted the 50% drop in provision sync. I explained that my issue wasn't DSL sync or packet loss or my hardware so why did I get re-provisioned. He seemed fine with returning it to 3712 but reluctant sating that the distance would cause buffering. To me if the line is capable of nearly 6mbps having it provisioned to 1700is is way less then 50% capacity. After the changes and several links down the line remained locked to 1700 even though he stated it was for 2500. He eventually figured it out after calling up another tech bringing the rate back up to 3712.

All in all even though my issue was resolved I had to take extraordinary steps to get action. For this reason my ratings will remain extremely low. Because tech support refused to deal with me or issue a repair ticket (shifting the blame) the end result was wasted time and a bitter experience. Even the tech I spoke to seemed to think the issue was on my end after multiple cases that faulted hardware/setup on frontiers end. Every one of these could have been resolved If they listened to my advice and simply placed a repair ticket. As always except for one case (Tel-line was sliced) the connection issues resulted in failures on their hardware. It's really sad to see that a modem needed setup/programmed at the local office to even open a ticket. In the techs eyes I was/am always considered the lose link. That was until their hardware failed to connect! Only then did they realize the issue was real.

All in all if it wasn't for the executive office branch in frontier my internet would probably still be down. After being down four days I'm happy to get it back up without double routing. I solute (unnamed) because she took action again that got past the red tape. My apologies to her because I can't directly identify her under the BBR rules.