Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by metalmayhem4 See Profile

• Location: Weston,Lewis,WV
Good "Very reliable for how rural we are, quick to fix problems"
Bad "not high speed but that's more because of our location"

Have had no major problems with them.We originally had 3 Mb speed bit kept having disconnects which turned out to be problems with the lines coupled with how far away we are. No surprise though with the major mess Verizon left our phone lines in. Frontier has been reliable with the internet connection other then the few times they had problems where a lot of areas lost internet temporarily. We signed up when they had a promotion for unlimited in state calling for 19.99 and had internet max for 29.99 bought together and a 2 year price guarantee. Not bad considering the only other option is Hughes net for $70 a month, limited speed, and almost $800 for installation.. The modem that was installed is one of the Westell 7500 wireless combo. It works ok without issues but the only complaint I can see is it doesn't support wireless n speeds. The only complaints I have other then the modem are all related to it being an ex Verizon area, is; rehired ex employee's that dont seem to know what they are doing, and the rats nest of bad wiring they left and are still trying to get cleaned and fixed up.

Comments:

Review by avisud See Profile

• Location: Kirkland,King,WA
Good "Reliable internet"
Bad "VEry slow, no upgrades to service in last 2 years, Pathetic customer service, No streaming services provided"
Overall "Stay away, "

Had the 15/5 package for last 2 years. No upgrades offered at all, while comcast has upgraded their service from 12/3 to 50/10. Online accounts/email account never works as expected, always land up calling customer service. Customer service reps are all across the board, contradicting one another in services offered.

Disappointed, high incentive to switch to comcast

Comments:

Review by siuuplink See Profile

• Location: Carbondale,Jackson,IL
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Extremely slow speeds"
Overall "No other choice"

Have had DSL for years, first with Verizon and then with Frontier when they took over the landlines in S. Illinois. Always had reliable service with Verizon. Cannot say the same for Frontier. For the past two months DSL download speeds fluctuate all over the place from a best of 1.52mbps down to .32kbps. Every time I call Frontier technical support I get the same story- "they are working on it and don't have any other information" and that "it is a congestion issue". So in other words, they have oversold this area and not installed equipment to handle increased demand. They cannot give me any more information. I find it astonishing that I live 4 miles from a major research university, yet I cannot get even a basic reliable internet connection from Frontier. My only option other than Frontier is satellite.

Comments:
tellyguy
join:2012-01-21
Saint Louis, MO

Internet Service

You should go to Clearwave.com to see if you can try to get their service. I know they serve most of Southern Illinois.

Frontiercom

@frontiernet.net

Frontier Internet

I live just north of St Paul, MN and have had Frontier for about 6 months. Just moved here and this is the only carrier according to what I've been told.

DSL is not terribly slow but hangs up quite frequently. I have tried to get online with Frontier a couple of times but seem to get lost in the "time warp" waiting for service and give up. Any thoughts or replies?

Review by diablo1892 See Profile

• Location: Friendly,Tyler,WV
Good "Every website I load up is fully loaded before i know it."
Bad "Customer supprt needs a little tweaking."

·HughesNet Satell..
It may not be a fantastic company but it does what i need it for witch is hosting some game servers. Since I live so close to a nearby sub station, the technicians asked if i would like DSL bond ultimate. I don't know what bond ultimate means but we agreed to go with that. At end of installation, come to find out they had installed the wrong box on the side of the house so they will get that fixed ASAP.

Great company, just what i needed!
INSTALL DATE: 12/6/13

UPDATE 12/16/13
So Frontier had got the whole bandwidth capacity issue fixed. We are as of now getting 12952 Kbps / 1147 Kbps (according to the modem page)
Ran some tests and here is what I get:
»testmy.net/EDzJvwp.0M7LRyH.png
»testmy.net/4sUNArf.gKYO3WU.png
»testmy.net/PkEgQ1b.VDOtrIH.png
»testmy.net/DOqW6Va.8WcZnuv.png

I also have ran 20 ping time tests to see if anything had changed at all but I doubt anything did since the only thing they did was install bonded ultimate onto our service at the office. I get roughly 27ms with www.bing.com and get the same thing on my best pinged gaming server by counter strike global offensive. When I got a hold of someone by "cell" phone, it amazed me they give this such incredible technical support. When they say 24/7 technical support, they mean it!

All games are working excellent. I can host but with some lag due to distances between me and my friends that live on other side of globe. Connection strength is very clear. Only experienced one short outage so far, that occurred 2 nights ago for just 4, 2 minutes. I had no idea our old landline that still hangs from our old part of the house up to the phone pole on our property can do what it is doing now, line must be 25 or 30 years old by now but still very strong.

member for 3.5 years, 763 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Carl48 See Profile

• Location: Delaware,Delaware,OH
Good "It was a new learning experience."
Bad "Slammed"
Overall "Avoid at all costs"

Worst experience. Called for information about a plan and I was slammed even though I specifically stated that I was not placing an order but only asking for information.

Emails and phone calls attempting to schedule installation were all followed up by me with the reply that I had not placed an order and that I was slammed. Was assured each time that I had no order on file and it was taken care of- until the next call came to schedule installation! Don't even call them. Once they have your name and phone number, you are a customer!

Comments:

Review by staregazer See Profile

• Location: Sandyville,Jackson,WV
Good "Very consistent connection and speed for a rural area. They have dramatically increased speed, ping (15-20 ms) and reliability."
Bad "2 Year Contract Required for a small discount while competition doesn't require it. Some smart mouthed technicians"
Overall "Great service (a GOD send) but cable has better price and speed in some cases."

Satellite broadband which is a joke. Frontier is way better but then again almost anything is better than satellite.

A Westell 7500 modem with built in router was provided (updated to a Zyxel bonded modem).

member for 7.9 years, 662 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Lillian L Co

@frontiernet.net

E-mail

Frontier e-mail is terrible. I cannot get my mail very often and when I do I can read one and it freezes, I can't delete any mail, when I try to compose an e-mail it skips letters, and when I contact technical support I get a smart mouthed tech and after keying in my frontier telephone landline number to identify my account and the tech ask for it verbally I've been asked if I have my landline with Frontier Communications. My God. What kind of question is this? We pay almost $100.00 a month for the internet, frontier secure, and telephone service if you can call this service. Is there anyone who works for Frontier who can help a situation like this train wreck. Just like another train wreck I know.

yolarry

join:2007-12-29
Creston, WV

Re: E-mail

Never use a ISP e-mail account. you better off having something like gmail.

Review by lawsoncl See Profile

• Location: Spirit Lake,Kootenai,ID
Good "Mostly reliable, slows down a bit in heavy usage hours"
Bad "Capped at 1.5 service even though line support 4-meg"
Overall "Only available option, so I'm stuck"

Frontier customer support sucks. When you call for support, their goal is to get you off the phone. They keep closing tickets for no apparent reason. Their own techs have told me that my line will support up to 4.7-meg, but their helpdesk will insist that I'm only eligible for 1.5 meg in my market area. The real answer is that the Frontier infrastructure is so poor, that they are artificially limiting connection speeds so they can sell more service without actually upgrading their equipment.

member for 6 years, 159 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jpw42 See Profile

• Location: Austin,Mower,MN
Good "It is better then dial up... maybee... when it works..."
Bad "Slow, unreliable, bad service "
Overall "If you have any choice, dont choose Frontier."

They often lie to you when you are having problems. Tell you it is a problem on your side. I have been in the middle of exams for school and oops... no internet. I guess that I just have to call the Professor and beg for more time to take the test. AVOID at all costs.

Comments:

Review by ydoucare See Profile

• Location: Lafayette,Tippecanoe,IN
Good "Decent speed"
Bad "Unstable in the evenings"
Overall "It works as a last resort"

I live in an apartment that has their own janky cable internet, so my only other option is Frontier. Placed an order for the 12/2 package on a Sunday for scheduled installation on Wednesday. Nobody showed up during the scheduled time window for installation, so I called them up. They couldn't really tell me why this happened. The woman on the phone told me that Friday would be the earliest she could get it scheduled. I politely told her they were not making a good first impression, which she agreed, and told me she would try to see if she could get me scheduled for the next day (Thursday) and contact me back. This was at around 11:30 AM. 5:30 PM rolls around and I hadn't heard from anybody. I called Frontier to inquire what was going on. They told me that at around 11:30 AM, the installation had been re-scheduled for Friday. Friday rolls around and the installation goes without issue. Speed tests show a solid 11.7/1.7ish.

It is quite clear, though, that in the evenings, Frontier has oversold their equipment. Latency goes up and jumps all over the place. It generally stays below 100, but is *very* jittery in the evenings. Bandwidth does suffer as well in the evenings, as shown below. Based on what I've read about this company, i'm not holding my breath for them to ever fix these issues, in fact, I expect it to get worse. I'm all too used to this BS after being on Centurylink for the last several years at my previous residence.

Non-peak hour speed test: »www.speedtest.net/result/3107202410.png

Peak hour speed test: »www.speedtest.net/result/3110394111.png

member for 11.7 years, 3044 visits, last login: a few minutes ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by sniper2323 See Profile

• Location: Bonners Ferry,Boundary,ID
Good "Local techs try hard to fix problems, good price. $19.95, month to month. "
Bad "Was told 7+Meg d/l... I'm getting around 2 meg."
Overall "Really the only game in town, so there you go."

So far, looks like the same service I left several years ago. I will update as things progress. So far, it could get a lot better.

lodged 1 year ago