Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by Smith6612 See Profile

• Location: Sanborn,Niagara,NY
Good "Tech Support, Uptime, Routing."
Bad "Throughput can be inconsistent during evening hours. Bit pricey for the speed"
Overall "No longer a Frontier customer, but they've been good."

·Verizon Online DSL
I am no longer a Frontier DSL customer, but I do continue to use their landline services. As a parting note, Frontier was very rarely down for me. The only outages I ever encountered was a PPPoA outage which lasted for a few hours, and an outage which was caused by lightning frying a modem.

I was one of the first customers Frontier had for DSL in the Sanborn, NY area when DSL was introduced. The speeds for Frontier Max, the plan I have always subscribed to, began at 1Mbps/128kbps and later on increased to 3Mbps/384kbps a few weeks later as Frontier began to establish their network in the area. The supplied modem was the Speedstream 6520 which is an ADSL2+ 10/100Mbps Wireless G Gateway. The service when it was first connected was awesome. I saw my speeds day and night and it was pretty much reliable. Occasionally when Frontier was having backbone issues I would see a night time slowdown, and support was typically aware of it and willing to file a ticket for 1.5Mbps on a 3Mbps line.

Towards the second and third year of service, Frontier started to have an influx of customers in this area as a result of the trouble going on with the Cable company (Adelphia). As a result, while Frontier had DSLAM capacity to add connections, they did not have the capacity backing up everything at night and as a result, speeds would suffer. It took Frontier a few months to resolve this as it was local, and this was simply a fiber optic upgrade between Central Offices. Once the new Fiber was turned up, speeds returned to normal again. There was a fiber cut a week after which caused packet loss, however the local techs and phone support acknowledged an area issue and the fiber cut was eventually fixed a day later.

Fast forward to more recent events, I've noticed an increase in congestion on the service being caused from the transit in and around the Rochester area, in addition to the transit going to Ashburn, Virginia which is where Frontier has a key POP for peering with other providers. While my slowdowns are no longer local, they happen at various times of the evening and also on various days. Some days the service is consistent, other days it can be as low as 700kbps to most sites and a rollercoaster at that. Gaming performance also deteriorates during this time, with an increase in latency, loss, and jitter. Some latency increases were attributed to the gear in Rochester I must route through (BRAS, Switches, Fiber Ring) being congested which Frontier has been slowly addressing, but not as quick as they should be.

One issue I do have with the service is with my ability to download and upload at the same time. I've done some research, and while we haven't settled on an exact reason for this, whenever I max my download out and attempt to run an upload at full speed my line takes a massive hit on the download. My download also takes a hit when I upload at a very minimal amount as well (for example, downloading at 390KB/s, could upload an additional 2KB/s and my download speed will drop by 100KB/s). Based on what I've found out, this may be due to the old DSLAM I'm attached to, but more than likely it was due to the BRAS (Edge router) I'm attached to. This may be due to the Quality of Service rules I have in place, but I have not been able to get this to perform as I'd like.

As far as the equipment goes, back when Frontier used to give out Siemems modems, they were well known to play up with gaming consoles. They were reliable and stable, with the SE567 giving some pretty good Wireless range, but it was often desired to bridge the modem or replace it with something else. My last modem was a Westell 7500, which has been stable and works fine. Frontier has since moved on to newer units with feature Wireless N support. I'm glad Frontier has moved away from the Siemens modems and has started moving towards Linux-based units. This will, hopefully, allow for far more flexibility with their gear. I've certainly noticed a huge improvement in stability.

The last thing I'd like to mention is that Frontier is now upgrading gear in this area, a much needed upgrade with newer ADSL2+ and VDSL2 gear capable of delivering some better speeds. Some of these upgrades include ADSL2+ bonding on the physical aspects, so there's nothing fancy such as MLPPP being used. I hope they execute this upgrade to the best of their ability and also make full use of all of the equipment. A complaint I have held for years with Frontier is with the speed they also provide in this area. My download speed remains at 3Mbps after 7+ years of service, and the upload was stuck at 384kbps up until the final year of my service. From what I have been able to obtain, the gear Frontier has is very capable of going faster but due to non-technical reasons they will not turn up the speed higher even on the old gear. I won't elaborate on this for various reasons but I really hope they reconsider now that the cable company in this area has some ridiculous speeds and aren't that much more expensive.

Some of you may also wonder why I didn't mention data limits or modem rental fees. I'm not for Frontier trying to cap their users like they've been trying to do for a while in some regions, first starting off at 5GB and then booting higher than average users. They haven't enforced caps in my area yet and I'm glad they haven't. It's not the right direction to go down in a modern Internet if they wish to stay in the wireline ISP business. Leave capping to the wireless providers. Also for the modem rental fees, word has it Frontier is doing away with them. I have never paid a modem rental fee and I have found ways around paying it when I swapped modems to Frontier-supported units. DSL modems are cheap things, and are paid off with a few months of service. Plus, if I ever need support I'd rather not have them blame my modem.

member for 6.5 years, 3699 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mikedz4 See Profile

• Location: Weirton,Hancock,WV
Good "I love the service. A lot slower than the 50mpbs i had with comcast but can't beat for the price"
Bad "I'm too far from central office for 12 mbps down. Hopefully they will upgrade soon to allow 12mbps down"
Overall "Can't beat for the price"

·Verizon Online DSL
I've had service for 2 weeks now. Can't believe how stable it is and still pretty quick. Like I said I am trying to get 12mbps.

Comments:

Review by n2ubp See Profile

• Location: Middletown,Orange,NY
Good "Compared to Time Warner pricing they are relatively inexpensive"
Bad "Frontier Infrasture and speed increase upgrades happening all around me but not at my location"
Overall "Slow but reliable service. Perhaps too slow to handle my household workload. "

I've had Frontier ADSL service since 2001. Connection reliability and monthly charges have improved over these years but available connection speed has not kept up with my household and telecommuting needs. Speed tests are showing 2.6mb speeds on a 3.7mb connection. Adjacent areas serviced by Frontier are offering 5 and 6 mb default speeds for the same price or less than what I pay for my 3.7mb connection. Some nearby towns even have 12mb connections. Calling Frontier Sales gets me an answer of "3.7mb is the fastest you can get in your area" and there are no plans to increase local speed offerings. Time Warner cable with default speeds of 15mbs might be my best solution since Frontier has no upgrade plans in my area just outside of Middletown, NY

Comments:

jrtrainer

@199.8.234.x

Frontier service

I have been trying to get my mothers service for her basic phone started for over 10 days. I have spoken to 4 different reps and was even promised a call back, which never happened. My last call ended when they said I did not even have any information in their data base on either myself or my mom. What a company. And we wonder why our government can't get anything done. :~)

Review by ShellMMG See Profile

• Location: Grass Lake,Jackson,MI
Good "Reliable, local tech guys are great!"
Bad "The whole install coordination"
Overall "A HUGE improvement over satellite/wireless or dialup"

Pack lots of patience when installing new service! The only thing that went RIGHT from drop to connecting to the network were the diligence of the local gents completing the post-winter drop and hooking up the modem. We even had our dry loop disconnected and given to a new customer, creating an afternoon of sheer panic until a tech physically fixed it!

Since our install the only trouble has been Mother Nature with power outages or regional congestion/interruptions at CO's. it's been very reliable in speed and we were even bumped up from 3mb to 6. Our drop is also ready for when/if bonded DSL ever comes though.

Comments:

FRONTIER = WORST COMPANY WORLD WIDE

THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER DELT WITH. FIRST I LOSE INTERNET FOR A MONTH, REFUSE TO PAY THE BILL THEN THEY TELL ME IF I PAY THE BILL THEY WILL PROVIDE HOME PHONE SERVICE FOR THE SAME RATE. THEN THEY NEVER PUT IN THE PHONE AND SAY NONE OF THAT WAS DICUSSED AFTER I PAID THEM. INTERNET COULDNT BE ANY SLOWER WITH THEM, GOES DOWN 15 TIMES A MONTH! I WOULDNT WISH THEM ON MY OWN WORST ENEMY.

Review by shoechew See Profile

• Location: Delray,Hampshire,WV
Good "I have nothing good to say about Frontier"
Bad "Over priced garbage. Lies."
Overall "Yes, Frontier is the very lowest bottom line."

»www.bbb.org/

»www.fcc.gov/complaints

»www.wvago.gov/publicresource.cfm

»www.psc.state.wv.us/complaints/default.htm

We have had Frontier just over a year and it has always been unacceptable. Over the past 2 months I have complained several times to Frontier, the BBB and the FCC. I guess they robbed from the rest of our neighborhood to give extra speed to us because lately our Speedtest results are twice as high as the neighbor's. Now Frontier insists there is nothing wrong with our connection and they act like I am lying when I tell them it STILL slows to a crawl in the evenings. Even IF the connection was stable and reliable, $45 for 1 meg would still be a huge ripoff and such overpricing should be criminal considering how slow it really is. We can't even go back to dial-up because Frontier will charge a ridiculous/per minute rate for data.

member for 1 year, 11 visits, last login: 179 days ago

Comments:

Joe Dirt

@frontiernet.net

Frontier

I don't have any problems with Frontier. Speeds depend on the distance to the Dslam. We have 3meg here and most of the time its right around 3meg. The end of the summer it dropped down to 2meg but now that the kids are back in school things are back to normal.

Frontierbeer

@192.182.219.x

Frontier is OK - speeds usually as claimed

seems as if uploads are being compressed as of late - vpn to ADSL is barely usable - but usually getting the download speed advertised (3~5 Mbits down). Upload speed is another issue - should be 300k and best at this end has been 178k. Contacting customer service usually resolves lag/jitter/speed issues - for a time - then need to call again. VoIP on this line is marginal. The local tech is AWESOME tho - much better service calling the tech directly than putting in a trouble ticket. I can't imagine that TWC would be any better though - got us all over a barrel so for now it's the option that's available. (A captive market).

RogueJawa

join:2013-08-15
Canal Winchester, OH

Yep

I can sympathize.

I've been waiting for about 50 days for my install.

But they say I'll be good to go on 10/2. I hope so.

Review by Dyrnwyn See Profile

• Location: Blomkest,Kandiyohi,MN
Good "Field Techs."
Bad "Everything else - & just getting a field tech out is horrible."
Overall "If there's anything else available besides sat & dial-up, take it!"

6 years with Frontier, & nothing but trouble. They were the only broadband provider for our town until recently, & I will be changing. Only reason I've waited is because our landline phones are with them too, so I've built a PBX to take care of that issue, just need to finish tweaking it & it's bye-bye Frontier, hello MVTV.

Most recent complaint would be this past week, when most of the entire Frontier network went down, & it took 1 hour & 34 minutes with a phone tech & her supervisor to finally decide it wasn't just my computers & then sent a tech out to replace the modem. As soon as the modem was replaced, internet was back. No way in anybody's business that should have taken more than a few minutes, given the widespread problem (I called two hours after they told my wife's business that the entire state was down & they had over 80 calls at that point) (also, turns out they were down all over the country, not just MN), let alone more than 20 minutes!

Before that, one other major issue of the line being "grazed" a block away took 3 months to get fixed. The tech had to dig down through snow to get to the sliced wires. Had they heeded my complaints about the quality of service three months before, there wouldn't have been any snow, & I wouldn't have had such poor internet.

I could go on, I have several customers I do tech work for that "used" to be Frontier customers.

Look at their S&P stock downgrade last week to "negative". Not a company to do business with, let alone invest in. Get as far away from them as possible.

UPDATE: Managed to leave Frontier in the spring of 2013. They tried to pull the "you're still in contract" crap, so I told them they already breached the contract due to the poor quality and fraudulent speed claims (their techs informed me our area is governed to never go over 1.5, even though they bumped us up to the 6mb billing rate in October 2012).

Currently using BroadbandMN.com. They cost more, but for the most part, have been much more reliable, and the speeds over 80% of the time are as advertised. They lease from Charter - just wish I could actually get Charter.....

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Joe dirt

@frontiernet.net

hmm

Well your area is set up with VDSL and speeds around 12 meg or better.

Review by schipper See Profile

• Location: Nebo,Mcdowell,NC
Good "Not much, most of the people at the call center speak english, which is good because you will be calling them often."
Bad "It is constantly down. When it is working its slow, and they havn't improved the speeds in 3 years."
Overall "Go with any other provider if possible, even Sat if you can deal with the latency. "

I have had their service since they took over from Verizon and it has consistently gotten worse since that point. In the past year I haven't had a single month where it hasn't gone down at least once. Their support is completely useless as well, quoting as much as 9 days out for repair sometimes. When you do call in you almost always end up with someone reading off a script who is unable to do anything other then schedule an appointment for next week. All in all its the single worst service I have ever dealt with and I am selling my house just to get away from them.

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by zebibyte See Profile

• Location: Fairview,Multnomah,OR
Good "Great speeds, Nice HD TV"
Bad "Core network can get overloaded links"
Overall "FIOS service is great if you can get it"

Great 35/35 FIOS service and full HD channel package. I"ve got my ONT inside in a closet, so no weather related issues. Ethernet handoff to my own router, works great.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by aguypd See Profile

• Location: Silver Springs,Wyoming,NY
Good "First year is free"
Bad "We lose our connection every time it rains"
Overall "Switched back to RR"

(update 2013-06)There hasn't been any improvement in the service from Frontier. The latency still runs 60-70 ms and the bandwidth is still down around 3.5 Mbs on the 10 Mbs service.

(update 2012-11)Recently the Internet service seems to have degraded. The latency has increased to near 70 ms and the connection resets several times a day with a new IP address being issued each time.

(update 2010-09)I am still glad that I switched back to Road Runner. However, my mother still uses Frontier's DSL. She consistenly gets bandwidths around 3.5 Mbs on her 10 Mbs service. The latency is usually around 50 ms. It can be frustrating to work on the computers at her house and attempting to use the Internet, after getting used to Road Runner at home.

We decided to get rid of our telephone service with Frontier, too, and switch to Time Warner's Digital Phone. Frontier wanted to charge us $200 because they said we had entered into a 2 year contract with them for the Telephone service. The two years for the DSL when we had it, ended back in May of 2010, and we never agreed to a 2 year contract, so I guess they just automatically put us on one.

My wife called the service department and complained and the customer service representative, said that they would cancel the $200 charge.

(update)After continuously comparing bandwidth between my mom's dsl with Frontier and our Road Runner connection, the Road Runner connection is always about three times the bandwidth and less than half of the latency.

(update)My mother, who still has Frontier DSL, got hit by lightning. She called Frontier's customer service and told them that she lost the phones and DSL. The service tech came out and got the phones back online, but never checked the DSL. She had to call them again and finally drove an hour to one of their centers, to pick up a new modem.

(update)Forget trying to get anywhere with their customer service. If you tell them you have an issue, only when it is raining and the lines are wet, they will still send a technician the next day, even though the sun is shining and everything is dried out.

(update)Switched back to Road Runner after less than six months with Frontiernet. It was a mistake to ever switch to Frontiernet.

Switched from Time Warner's Road Runner to Frontiernet's 10M DSL with a new plan that the first year is free and the second year is only $30/month and a promise that the 10M was available to our house. This turned out to be a mistake

After having the service for almost a month, we had several problems and tech support was a 45 minute wait on the phone. Technicians came out the next day and found a problem between us and the CO. Our speeds, 3568/374, are better than they were yesterday, 503/260, but not as good as they had been, 4417/376. This definitely is not what they promised us, though.

Apparently, when it rains our connection is unstable. This is terrible. I guess I have to hope for a drought, so I can have a good connection. Because of the bad connections in the wet weather, Frontier keeps throttling back our speed, instead of fixing the actual problem. The latency has really tanked, too. We were getting a latency around 35 ms, but now we are over 80 ms.

Every time it rains, we can look forward to speeds around 500/200 and a latency over 100 ms. It is terrible.

Frontier has released their announcement on their caps, and our speed is down to 95/78 with a latency of 695 ms. Go figure.

After lying to us about the availability of 10M being available in our area and their position on net neutrality, I am not holding our breath about their honesty, that people in their price protection agreement, won't be capped, also.

member for 6.2 years, 2438 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by dssidnt See Profile

• Location: Flushing,Belmont,OH
Bad "Unreliable. Sometimes the speed is tolerable, but then drops."
Overall "If you can avoid getting Frontier, please choose another way if possible."

I am in a rural area. When I called to inquire, they promised a guaranteed speed of 3Mbps. After installation I was lucky to barely get 1.5. They have improved a little bit as my speed is now about 2.5. I would like to switch to cable, but we live quite a way from the main cable line, so it is not an option, and satellite pricing is out of the question.