Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

• Telco party DSL.Net
Good "No contract "
Bad "Horrible"
Overall "They suck"

There costumer service sucks, i don't think anyone knows what they're doing ... I upgraded to the fastest speed available and it only got worse .... I keep losing connection and its so slow, I'm going with time warner, thank God I didn't have to sign a contract ...

Comments:

Review by norm14580 See Profile

• Location: Webster,Monroe,NY
Good "Consistent speed, usually reliable"
Bad "Outage recently from Thursday 1/17 to Tuesday 1/21, 2014"
Overall "Works fine for me"

I have had Frontier DSL for many years now. Probably since 2004 or so. One of the early things I did was buy and install a whole house ADSL filter. After that, I called them and they readjusted my "provisioning" and I have had about 6Mbs download speed ever since. I hear a lot of people complaining about the speed, and I'm convinced that if Frontier wasn't so cheap and installed a whole house filter for everyone, a lot more people would like the service. My father in law has Frontier DSL too, and he was getting only about 1.5 Mbps, so I bought the same filter for him and now he gets about 5.

I know experience varies, but for my family it just works. Last week was the first time in several years that I remember having a service outage. I called tech support, and they had trouble helping me because my DSL modem was so old it does not have a web interface to diagnose problems. (I still had the original one from maybe 10 years ago.) They sent me a new DSL modem, which I received on Tuesday. (My call to them was Friday, so I'm satisfied with that.) I hooked it up, and it works great. It has the WiFi built in, so I no longer need the separate WiFi router. (Yes, my old DSL modem was that old, it did not have WiFi built in.)

I have the feeling that a lot of people that take the time to write a review do so because they had problems. I understand that, so I thought maybe we needed some balance.

Comments:

bwa1

@comcast.net

frontier dsl

I liked your review. It was balanced and helpful. Our hs internet bill with comcast just went up another twenty dollars -- now $74 a month, without phone. We have phone through frontier and are looking to bundle internet through them. Would you recommend this? We live in the boonies, and our phone service was recently upgraded by a frontier tech, who also enabled us (we're the only ones in our area to have this) to receive high speed through frontier. He also installed a filter in our box in the basement. He told us that if we ever got tired of comcast, we were ready to go with frontier. I think some other additional installation stuff would be required, but it would be minimal. Another question is this: how many filters are required? We have one where the phone line comes into the house; do we need another one at the end of the line where it connects to the router? After all the heinous reviews I've read regarding frontier, I'm a bit anxious about making the switch, although our phone service has been great. A constructive opinion on this matter would be appreciated.

DC51

@50.43.186.x

ADSL Filter

I have a very slow speed with Frontier connection supposedly was upgraded to Max but still not getting results. What is an ADSL Filter? What type did you buy and how is it connected?

Review by acdunbar See Profile

• Location: Hurricane,Putnam,WV
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Extremely slow, terrible support"
Overall "Only service in area"

Terrible connection consistency and extremely slow. After fighting with support for over a year I have received every excuse under the sun for the poor service. Have had technicians out for service at least once a month and received a different cause each time, ranging from water in the line to some one messed with the wires in the distribution box. I have repeatedly requested the local supervisor to address the issues, but ultimately was ignored. Since Frontier is the only service provider for the area they refuse to improve the infrastructure and regularly ignore customer concerns. I am extremely displeased with the quality of service and customer support. If there were any other provider I would switch immediately, even if the price were exponentially more.

Comments:
ZSwiftmend

join:2013-05-05
Morgantown, WV

Frontier has been awful for years

I agree! We have been forced to use Frontier for the last 6-7 years (in WV also) because there is no other provider. The service is awful! They advertise one speed, but we dont even come close to that. We have to have a service tech at the house about every 60 days, because someone "moved the lines in the distribution box". They do not have the infrastructure to support the customer base. And it would appear that they have no intention of doing anything about it. We have reached out to several layers of management, with no response. It is frustration beyond belief.

Review by pittpete1 See Profile

• Location: Poughquag,Dutchess,NY
Good "Connection is solid and never goes down if ever"
Bad "Max speed is 6mb and congestion during evenings"
Overall "Not cutting it in todays world"

While the connection never goes down and latency is good, the speed is not up to par. Comcast in the same area offers 25mb for a few $$ cheaper. I don't understand how they stay in business? During the day and late at night i usually get close to 6mb. Prime evening hours, lucky to get 3mb. Not enough bandwith to run all the devices in the home in todays society. It's unfortunate that i'm surrounded by Verizon FIOS. I really hope they do something sooner rather than later or i'll have to have Comcast come and run an underground drop to my house.

member for 5.5 years, 888 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

Data usage capping

I think I would stay back and away from those who have you capped off at some amount such as 300GB or so..
I feel more comfortable with 1 Terabyte(or higher) instead of some Gigabyte region. I just found this link »Comcast Usage Caps, Overages Arrive in Atlanta

It's good to cap off your customers because when you have over 500,000 customers pulling stuff(downloading) it can be a real mess and a real chore for the servers at the ISP NOC or office. If comcast were to turn off the capping and let all the customers run free to download whatever they want, whenever they want.. Speeds would drastically drop and you be lucky to see them ever come back. When the service is completely uncapped, other customers get a chance at taking over everyone else's connection speeds since there isn't no cap and you be free to do whatever and whenever. So its go to have caps on ISP's like comcast. Frontier does not need one cause the speeds are so low.
I hope your reading this papap. You were as kind, sweet and easy going person I ever met.
You no longer have to suffer from all the pain you had when down here on earth.
I love you.

R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise 8/9/45-11/21/13

Review by metalmayhem4 See Profile

• Location: Weston,Lewis,WV
Good "Very reliable for how rural we are, quick to fix problems"
Bad "not high speed but that's more because of our location"

Have had no major problems with them.We originally had 3 Mb speed bit kept having disconnects which turned out to be problems with the lines coupled with how far away we are. No surprise though with the major mess Verizon left our phone lines in. Frontier has been reliable with the internet connection other then the few times they had problems where a lot of areas lost internet temporarily. We signed up when they had a promotion for unlimited in state calling for 19.99 and had internet max for 29.99 bought together and a 2 year price guarantee. Not bad considering the only other option is Hughes net for $70 a month, limited speed, and almost $800 for installation.. The modem that was installed is one of the Westell 7500 wireless combo. It works ok without issues but the only complaint I can see is it doesn't support wireless n speeds. The only complaints I have other then the modem are all related to it being an ex Verizon area, is; rehired ex employee's that dont seem to know what they are doing, and the rats nest of bad wiring they left and are still trying to get cleaned and fixed up.

Comments:

Review by avisud See Profile

• Location: Kirkland,King,WA
Good "Reliable internet"
Bad "VEry slow, no upgrades to service in last 2 years, Pathetic customer service, No streaming services provided"
Overall "Stay away, "

Had the 15/5 package for last 2 years. No upgrades offered at all, while comcast has upgraded their service from 12/3 to 50/10. Online accounts/email account never works as expected, always land up calling customer service. Customer service reps are all across the board, contradicting one another in services offered.

Disappointed, high incentive to switch to comcast

Comments:

Review by siuuplink See Profile

• Location: Carbondale,Jackson,IL
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Extremely slow speeds"
Overall "No other choice"

Have had DSL for years, first with Verizon and then with Frontier when they took over the landlines in S. Illinois. Always had reliable service with Verizon. Cannot say the same for Frontier. For the past two months DSL download speeds fluctuate all over the place from a best of 1.52mbps down to .32kbps. Every time I call Frontier technical support I get the same story- "they are working on it and don't have any other information" and that "it is a congestion issue". So in other words, they have oversold this area and not installed equipment to handle increased demand. They cannot give me any more information. I find it astonishing that I live 4 miles from a major research university, yet I cannot get even a basic reliable internet connection from Frontier. My only option other than Frontier is satellite.

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:
tellyguy
join:2012-01-21
Saint Louis, MO

Internet Service

You should go to Clearwave.com to see if you can try to get their service. I know they serve most of Southern Illinois.

Frontiercom

@frontiernet.net

Frontier Internet

I live just north of St Paul, MN and have had Frontier for about 6 months. Just moved here and this is the only carrier according to what I've been told.

DSL is not terribly slow but hangs up quite frequently. I have tried to get online with Frontier a couple of times but seem to get lost in the "time warp" waiting for service and give up. Any thoughts or replies?

Review by diablo1892 See Profile

• Location: Friendly,Tyler,WV
Good "Every website I load up is fully loaded before i know it."
Bad "Customer supprt needs a little tweaking."

·HughesNet Satell..
It may not be a fantastic company but it does what i need it for witch is hosting some game servers. Since I live so close to a nearby sub station, the technicians asked if i would like DSL bond ultimate. I don't know what bond ultimate means but we agreed to go with that. At end of installation, come to find out they had installed the wrong box on the side of the house so they will get that fixed ASAP.

Great company, just what i needed!
INSTALL DATE: 12/6/13

UPDATE 12/16/13
So Frontier had got the whole bandwidth capacity issue fixed. We are as of now getting 12952 Kbps / 1147 Kbps (according to the modem page)
Ran some tests and here is what I get:
»testmy.net/EDzJvwp.0M7LRyH.png
»testmy.net/4sUNArf.gKYO3WU.png
»testmy.net/PkEgQ1b.VDOtrIH.png
»testmy.net/DOqW6Va.8WcZnuv.png

I also have ran 20 ping time tests to see if anything had changed at all but I doubt anything did since the only thing they did was install bonded ultimate onto our service at the office. I get roughly 27ms with www.bing.com and get the same thing on my best pinged gaming server by counter strike global offensive. When I got a hold of someone by "cell" phone, it amazed me they give this such incredible technical support. When they say 24/7 technical support, they mean it!

All games are working excellent. I can host but with some lag due to distances between me and my friends that live on other side of globe. Connection strength is very clear. Only experienced one short outage so far, that occurred 2 nights ago for just 4, 2 minutes. I had no idea our old landline that still hangs from our old part of the house up to the phone pole on our property can do what it is doing now, line must be 25 or 30 years old by now but still very strong.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Carl48 See Profile

• Location: Delaware,Delaware,OH
Good "It was a new learning experience."
Bad "Slammed"
Overall "Avoid at all costs"

Worst experience. Called for information about a plan and I was slammed even though I specifically stated that I was not placing an order but only asking for information.

Emails and phone calls attempting to schedule installation were all followed up by me with the reply that I had not placed an order and that I was slammed. Was assured each time that I had no order on file and it was taken care of- until the next call came to schedule installation! Don't even call them. Once they have your name and phone number, you are a customer!

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by staregazer See Profile

• Location: Sandyville,Jackson,WV
Good "Very consistent connection and speed for a rural area. They have dramatically increased speed, ping (15-20 ms) and reliability."
Bad "2 Year Contract Required for a small discount while competition doesn't require it. Some smart mouthed technicians"
Overall "Great service (a GOD send) but cable has better price and speed in some cases."

Satellite broadband which is a joke. Frontier is way better but then again almost anything is better than satellite.

A Westell 7500 modem with built in router was provided (updated to a Zyxel bonded modem).

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Lillian L Co

@frontiernet.net

E-mail

Frontier e-mail is terrible. I cannot get my mail very often and when I do I can read one and it freezes, I can't delete any mail, when I try to compose an e-mail it skips letters, and when I contact technical support I get a smart mouthed tech and after keying in my frontier telephone landline number to identify my account and the tech ask for it verbally I've been asked if I have my landline with Frontier Communications. My God. What kind of question is this? We pay almost $100.00 a month for the internet, frontier secure, and telephone service if you can call this service. Is there anyone who works for Frontier who can help a situation like this train wreck. Just like another train wreck I know.

yolarry

join:2007-12-29
Creston, WV

Re: E-mail

Never use a ISP e-mail account. you better off having something like gmail.