Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by ShellMMG See Profile

• Location: Grass Lake,Jackson,MI
Good "Reliable, local tech guys are great!"
Bad "The whole install coordination"
Overall "A HUGE improvement over satellite/wireless or dialup"

Pack lots of patience when installing new service! The only thing that went RIGHT from drop to connecting to the network were the diligence of the local gents completing the post-winter drop and hooking up the modem. We even had our dry loop disconnected and given to a new customer, creating an afternoon of sheer panic until a tech physically fixed it!

Since our install the only trouble has been Mother Nature with power outages or regional congestion/interruptions at CO's. it's been very reliable in speed and we were even bumped up from 3mb to 6. Our drop is also ready for when/if bonded DSL ever comes though.

Comments:

FRONTIER = WORST COMPANY WORLD WIDE

THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER DELT WITH. FIRST I LOSE INTERNET FOR A MONTH, REFUSE TO PAY THE BILL THEN THEY TELL ME IF I PAY THE BILL THEY WILL PROVIDE HOME PHONE SERVICE FOR THE SAME RATE. THEN THEY NEVER PUT IN THE PHONE AND SAY NONE OF THAT WAS DICUSSED AFTER I PAID THEM. INTERNET COULDNT BE ANY SLOWER WITH THEM, GOES DOWN 15 TIMES A MONTH! I WOULDNT WISH THEM ON MY OWN WORST ENEMY.

Review by shoechew See Profile

• Location: Delray,Hampshire,WV
Good "I have nothing good to say about Frontier"
Bad "Over priced garbage. Lies."
Overall "Yes, Frontier is the very lowest bottom line."

»www.bbb.org/

»www.fcc.gov/complaints

»www.wvago.gov/publicresource.cfm

»www.psc.state.wv.us/complaints/default.htm

We have had Frontier just over a year and it has always been unacceptable. Over the past 2 months I have complained several times to Frontier, the BBB and the FCC. I guess they robbed from the rest of our neighborhood to give extra speed to us because lately our Speedtest results are twice as high as the neighbor's. Now Frontier insists there is nothing wrong with our connection and they act like I am lying when I tell them it STILL slows to a crawl in the evenings. Even IF the connection was stable and reliable, $45 for 1 meg would still be a huge ripoff and such overpricing should be criminal considering how slow it really is. We can't even go back to dial-up because Frontier will charge a ridiculous/per minute rate for data.

Comments:

Joe Dirt

@frontiernet.net

Frontier

I don't have any problems with Frontier. Speeds depend on the distance to the Dslam. We have 3meg here and most of the time its right around 3meg. The end of the summer it dropped down to 2meg but now that the kids are back in school things are back to normal.

Frontierbeer

@192.182.219.x

Frontier is OK - speeds usually as claimed

seems as if uploads are being compressed as of late - vpn to ADSL is barely usable - but usually getting the download speed advertised (3~5 Mbits down). Upload speed is another issue - should be 300k and best at this end has been 178k. Contacting customer service usually resolves lag/jitter/speed issues - for a time - then need to call again. VoIP on this line is marginal. The local tech is AWESOME tho - much better service calling the tech directly than putting in a trouble ticket. I can't imagine that TWC would be any better though - got us all over a barrel so for now it's the option that's available. (A captive market).

RogueJawa

join:2013-08-15
Canal Winchester, OH

Yep

I can sympathize.

I've been waiting for about 50 days for my install.

But they say I'll be good to go on 10/2. I hope so.

Review by Dyrnwyn See Profile

• Location: Blomkest,Kandiyohi,MN
Good "Field Techs."
Bad "Everything else - & just getting a field tech out is horrible."
Overall "If there's anything else available besides sat & dial-up, take it!"

6 years with Frontier, & nothing but trouble. They were the only broadband provider for our town until recently, & I will be changing. Only reason I've waited is because our landline phones are with them too, so I've built a PBX to take care of that issue, just need to finish tweaking it & it's bye-bye Frontier, hello MVTV.

Most recent complaint would be this past week, when most of the entire Frontier network went down, & it took 1 hour & 34 minutes with a phone tech & her supervisor to finally decide it wasn't just my computers & then sent a tech out to replace the modem. As soon as the modem was replaced, internet was back. No way in anybody's business that should have taken more than a few minutes, given the widespread problem (I called two hours after they told my wife's business that the entire state was down & they had over 80 calls at that point) (also, turns out they were down all over the country, not just MN), let alone more than 20 minutes!

Before that, one other major issue of the line being "grazed" a block away took 3 months to get fixed. The tech had to dig down through snow to get to the sliced wires. Had they heeded my complaints about the quality of service three months before, there wouldn't have been any snow, & I wouldn't have had such poor internet.

I could go on, I have several customers I do tech work for that "used" to be Frontier customers.

Look at their S&P stock downgrade last week to "negative". Not a company to do business with, let alone invest in. Get as far away from them as possible.

UPDATE: Managed to leave Frontier in the spring of 2013. They tried to pull the "you're still in contract" crap, so I told them they already breached the contract due to the poor quality and fraudulent speed claims (their techs informed me our area is governed to never go over 1.5, even though they bumped us up to the 6mb billing rate in October 2012).

Currently using BroadbandMN.com. They cost more, but for the most part, have been much more reliable, and the speeds over 80% of the time are as advertised. They lease from Charter - just wish I could actually get Charter.....

Comments:

Joe dirt

@frontiernet.net

hmm

Well your area is set up with VDSL and speeds around 12 meg or better.

Review by schipper See Profile

• Location: Nebo,Mcdowell,NC
Good "Not much, most of the people at the call center speak english, which is good because you will be calling them often."
Bad "It is constantly down. When it is working its slow, and they havn't improved the speeds in 3 years."
Overall "Go with any other provider if possible, even Sat if you can deal with the latency. "

I have had their service since they took over from Verizon and it has consistently gotten worse since that point. In the past year I haven't had a single month where it hasn't gone down at least once. Their support is completely useless as well, quoting as much as 9 days out for repair sometimes. When you do call in you almost always end up with someone reading off a script who is unable to do anything other then schedule an appointment for next week. All in all its the single worst service I have ever dealt with and I am selling my house just to get away from them.

Comments:

Review by zebibyte See Profile

• Location: Fairview,Multnomah,OR
Good "Great speeds, Nice HD TV"
Bad "Core network can get overloaded links"
Overall "FIOS service is great if you can get it"

Great 35/35 FIOS service and full HD channel package. I"ve got my ONT inside in a closet, so no weather related issues. Ethernet handoff to my own router, works great.

Comments:

Review by aguypd See Profile

• Location: Silver Springs,Wyoming,NY
Good "First year is free"
Bad "We lose our connection every time it rains"
Overall "Switched back to RR"

(update 2013-06)There hasn't been any improvement in the service from Frontier. The latency still runs 60-70 ms and the bandwidth is still down around 3.5 Mbs on the 10 Mbs service.

(update 2012-11)Recently the Internet service seems to have degraded. The latency has increased to near 70 ms and the connection resets several times a day with a new IP address being issued each time.

(update 2010-09)I am still glad that I switched back to Road Runner. However, my mother still uses Frontier's DSL. She consistenly gets bandwidths around 3.5 Mbs on her 10 Mbs service. The latency is usually around 50 ms. It can be frustrating to work on the computers at her house and attempting to use the Internet, after getting used to Road Runner at home.

We decided to get rid of our telephone service with Frontier, too, and switch to Time Warner's Digital Phone. Frontier wanted to charge us $200 because they said we had entered into a 2 year contract with them for the Telephone service. The two years for the DSL when we had it, ended back in May of 2010, and we never agreed to a 2 year contract, so I guess they just automatically put us on one.

My wife called the service department and complained and the customer service representative, said that they would cancel the $200 charge.

(update)After continuously comparing bandwidth between my mom's dsl with Frontier and our Road Runner connection, the Road Runner connection is always about three times the bandwidth and less than half of the latency.

(update)My mother, who still has Frontier DSL, got hit by lightning. She called Frontier's customer service and told them that she lost the phones and DSL. The service tech came out and got the phones back online, but never checked the DSL. She had to call them again and finally drove an hour to one of their centers, to pick up a new modem.

(update)Forget trying to get anywhere with their customer service. If you tell them you have an issue, only when it is raining and the lines are wet, they will still send a technician the next day, even though the sun is shining and everything is dried out.

(update)Switched back to Road Runner after less than six months with Frontiernet. It was a mistake to ever switch to Frontiernet.

Switched from Time Warner's Road Runner to Frontiernet's 10M DSL with a new plan that the first year is free and the second year is only $30/month and a promise that the 10M was available to our house. This turned out to be a mistake

After having the service for almost a month, we had several problems and tech support was a 45 minute wait on the phone. Technicians came out the next day and found a problem between us and the CO. Our speeds, 3568/374, are better than they were yesterday, 503/260, but not as good as they had been, 4417/376. This definitely is not what they promised us, though.

Apparently, when it rains our connection is unstable. This is terrible. I guess I have to hope for a drought, so I can have a good connection. Because of the bad connections in the wet weather, Frontier keeps throttling back our speed, instead of fixing the actual problem. The latency has really tanked, too. We were getting a latency around 35 ms, but now we are over 80 ms.

Every time it rains, we can look forward to speeds around 500/200 and a latency over 100 ms. It is terrible.

Frontier has released their announcement on their caps, and our speed is down to 95/78 with a latency of 695 ms. Go figure.

After lying to us about the availability of 10M being available in our area and their position on net neutrality, I am not holding our breath about their honesty, that people in their price protection agreement, won't be capped, also.

member for 6.2 years, 2418 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dssidnt See Profile

• Location: Flushing,Belmont,OH
Bad "Unreliable. Sometimes the speed is tolerable, but then drops."
Overall "If you can avoid getting Frontier, please choose another way if possible."

I am in a rural area. When I called to inquire, they promised a guaranteed speed of 3Mbps. After installation I was lucky to barely get 1.5. They have improved a little bit as my speed is now about 2.5. I would like to switch to cable, but we live quite a way from the main cable line, so it is not an option, and satellite pricing is out of the question.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Aznightfalls See Profile

• Location: Lake Havasu City,Mohave,AZ
Good "The local customer service people"
Bad "Speed."
Overall "Most times do not even get half the speed paying for."

Local office is great to deal with. The DL speed really bites. I have 6/1 and can only get 2.3/1 Which means Netflix locks, games dont play well. I am looking to change to wireless maybe, just not cable since they meter.

member for 1 year, 19 visits, last login: 322 days ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by CAPThomas See Profile

• Location: Mount Dora,Lake,FL
Good "Installation, Actual vs Quoted Speed, Field Technicians, No Contract"
Bad "Disconnects, Communication of Appointment Window from Sales to Technician"
Overall "Good value where there is little / no competition"

Until this month, I have not been able to get Internet service at my seasonal cottage in northern lower Michigan. Frontier just started offering dsl in my area. I called on Thursday, ordered their "Max" service of up to 6 MB service. They offered to mail a self installation kit, but I declined, stating that I did not want to have to climb the pole to run a drop, or to open their cable boxes to connect at the junction boxes at the street. I did not have wired telephone service or a drop.

I was told that they could schedule a technician to install, but it would likely be a week out, vs the three days I requested. After pulling the credit report and setting up the account, Sales advised that there was a 4 - 6 PM appointment available on Saturday, within two days. I accepted.

When I got to the cottage at 2:30 PM on Saturday, I found a card that the technician had already been there, could not install, and to call for a new appointment. I drove toward town to call and saw a Frontier Technician working at a box about three miles up the road. He agreed to return later Saturday and do my install. Interesting, he advised that the dispatch window given to him was noon - 3 PM and they they never worked past 5 PM.

He did a competent, neat install, explained what I was doing, showed me test speeds of 6.944/1.152, or more than the 6 MB ordered, and explained the receiver use and settings. I am only about 350 feet from their line to fiber box.

So - within about 50 hours of ordering, I was online with acceptable speeds.

I've found that the Model 7550 receiver drops the connection several times / day, but comes back promptly when I power it down / up. For me, this is a small price to pay considering that I was previously unable to get Internet or cell service at my cottage.

I've had a few speed slowdowns, which appear to be network congestion, and had a bit of difficulty setting up my vpn service, but otherwise all is good.

Overall, I'm pleased.

Cap

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by darthfadar See Profile

• Location: Mcminnville,Yamhill,OR
Good "Fast, stable"
Bad "Haven't found any bad, yet"
Overall "Better value than Comcast"

Got Frontier FIOS, today. Tech was on time, polite & answered all my questions. All hardware was installed & running with an hour & half.

Tech then helped setup wireless configuration & verified all devices we running on the network.

Speeds are great. No latency & the price is half of what Comcast offered.

Good to go!