Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by lawsoncl See Profile

• Location: Spirit Lake,Kootenai,ID
Good "Mostly reliable, slows down a bit in heavy usage hours"
Bad "Capped at 1.5 service even though line support 4-meg"
Overall "Only available option, so I'm stuck"

Frontier customer support sucks. When you call for support, their goal is to get you off the phone. They keep closing tickets for no apparent reason. Their own techs have told me that my line will support up to 4.7-meg, but their helpdesk will insist that I'm only eligible for 1.5 meg in my market area. The real answer is that the Frontier infrastructure is so poor, that they are artificially limiting connection speeds so they can sell more service without actually upgrading their equipment.

member for 5.9 years, 125 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jpw42 See Profile

• Location: Austin,Mower,MN
Good "It is better then dial up... maybee... when it works..."
Bad "Slow, unreliable, bad service "
Overall "If you have any choice, dont choose Frontier."

They often lie to you when you are having problems. Tell you it is a problem on your side. I have been in the middle of exams for school and oops... no internet. I guess that I just have to call the Professor and beg for more time to take the test. AVOID at all costs.

Comments:

Review by ydoucare See Profile

• Location: Lafayette,Tippecanoe,IN
Good "Decent speed"
Bad "Unstable in the evenings"
Overall "It works as a last resort"

I live in an apartment that has their own janky cable internet, so my only other option is Frontier. Placed an order for the 12/2 package on a Sunday for scheduled installation on Wednesday. Nobody showed up during the scheduled time window for installation, so I called them up. They couldn't really tell me why this happened. The woman on the phone told me that Friday would be the earliest she could get it scheduled. I politely told her they were not making a good first impression, which she agreed, and told me she would try to see if she could get me scheduled for the next day (Thursday) and contact me back. This was at around 11:30 AM. 5:30 PM rolls around and I hadn't heard from anybody. I called Frontier to inquire what was going on. They told me that at around 11:30 AM, the installation had been re-scheduled for Friday. Friday rolls around and the installation goes without issue. Speed tests show a solid 11.7/1.7ish.

It is quite clear, though, that in the evenings, Frontier has oversold their equipment. Latency goes up and jumps all over the place. It generally stays below 100, but is *very* jittery in the evenings. Bandwidth does suffer as well in the evenings, as shown below. Based on what I've read about this company, i'm not holding my breath for them to ever fix these issues, in fact, I expect it to get worse. I'm all too used to this BS after being on Centurylink for the last several years at my previous residence.

Non-peak hour speed test: »www.speedtest.net/result/3107202410.png

Peak hour speed test: »www.speedtest.net/result/3110394111.png

member for 11.5 years, 3021 visits, last login: 186 days ago

Comments:

Review by sniper2323 See Profile

• Location: Bonners Ferry,Boundary,ID
Good "Local techs try hard to fix problems, good price. $19.95, month to month. "
Bad "Was told 7+Meg d/l... I'm getting around 2 meg."
Overall "Really the only game in town, so there you go."

So far, looks like the same service I left several years ago. I will update as things progress. So far, it could get a lot better.

Comments:

Review by Sarick See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "none"
Bad "Multiple repair tickets for same problem"
Overall "It's the only service available"

They upgraded the download caps we loved the fact of having maximum connection limits. Service was wonderful and our connection was stable.

We contacted support over technical issues of being disconnected recently 3/2008. This happened after a line was damaged in route to our house was repaired. (a tree fell on the lines) An intermittent issue caused attenuation to reach over 60+ causing our connections to drop with an average that was 51. After contacting the tech support a ticket was issued.

The problem appeared to be resolved and out connection was again working at about 2m+ down. We again started having issues, We again contacted support after unusual errors. That night our max limit prematurely dropped to the minimum guaranteed rates. The problems with drop offs continued and we again contacted support. The next day a tech visited our hour for the first time and we had no issues.

Unfortunately, because of contacting support our connection limits that where previously 100% reliable before 2008 where permanently capped. I contacted support and was given the run around that we only guarantee 1m down and because the problem is fixed they don't understand why I'm upset.

UPDATE:

I finally contacted, frontier nets main company about this issue and a nice employee called me back withing hours. The issue was fixed and my line was upgraded to 2.6 meg. Today it went down for the first time in months after I called up over congestion. now it's at 3.7 almost 4 meg down.

There are still a lot of errors but I suppose as long as the line is stable and fast I'm not complaining. I'm very please that this single representative got through the red tape and fixed everything.

UPDATE:11/11/09

did a line test seems ok enough but as you can see they still have some minor backbone network issues that aren't on my end.

»/linequality/nil/2585263

UPDATE:10/25/13

4 days ago at around 10:47 I think on Oct. 22 the internet went down. After 24 hours of no service I tried calling up the tech repair lines. I was greeted with the disconnected message "We're sorry, the number you dialed in not in service at this time please~~" Not only did the internet go down but the phone lines where knocked out so that no outside local numbers could be accessed.

I decided to dial 0 and speak to an operator. That managed to work she was able to transfer me to the line repair. After speaking to this representative she issued a ticket for the phone then transferred me to DSL tech support. I spoke him about the internet. They was having issues in my area with no sentiment on repair. I thanked him nicely and finished the call.

After another 2 days of waiting I called up again asking when DSL service would be restored. This representative seemed like he know there was a problem but could offer no repair quote. I ask him if this was indefinite until farther notice. He implied that yes there was working to resolve the issues. On the 24th I called again wanting to see if there was an update on the situation. I was greeted with the warning that high speed connections in and around (private) and (private) near me where still experiencing issues.

After waiting on the line several minutes a person got on the phone. I explained my information ask a few questions. He told it wasn't his problem to that my internet wasn't working. Apparently, my experience and the settings that I've been using the past three years with my equipment where irrelevant. He then then ask for a number to call me back if we got disconnected. His suggestion was to hook up a frontier modem router so he could do a scripted support call. He was unaware the the only modem frontier sent me was dated back to 2008 and also no longer supported. He then said we are currently experiencing no outages in your area. I ask him to hold on the line. I three way called frontier on the second line and let him listen to the frontier message. He hung up the phone after a few seconds of the frontier message.

I looked through my logs modem sync etc. The ADSL sync, ethernet connection and line stability all checked out fine. What I found was that the PPPoE was timing out on their end. Either the server was ignoring my request or it was down. I called up my neighbor and ask his if his internet was up. He seemed antagonistic but logged on his provided modem/router without much issue. Clearly something was up.

Well, oddly it was so this lead me into some investigation. I tried multiple PPPoE connections both on the router and bypassing the router though the modems internal router. In all cases PPPoE authentication never worked. I then decided to remove my DSL modem and use the old frontier modem/router in bridged mode. It also failed. I then tried to access it using the original frontier settings to connect through PPPoE. This being a frontier modem/router with the technician settings. This should've allowed their hardware to connect through their hardware and setup. Low and behold this also failed.

I decided to drop the PPPoE authentication and use the long outdated PPPoA settings from back when the service was introduced into my area. I had to manually enter these settings into the modem router as the newer device didn't have them per-programmed. Oddly, the modem was able to authenticate PPPoA. I'm at a loss for words. Clearly something at frontier was broken or set to restrict connections. I can no longer bridge over PPPoE with any device. Sadly, If PPPoE works it must need need extra perimeters or specific MAC addresses range (forcing frontier equipment) or cloning.

The only reason I'm able to write this updated review is because I'm double routing though the frontier modem that is authenticated by PPPoA. Apparently, they didn't fully phase it out in my area so I lucked out.

My internet is crippled and Frontier will not even open up communication to resolve my issues. As you can see I've been trying several days with no results. This is clearly not the most professional way to help a paid customer that's having technical issues. There is no way to resolve the problem if the engineers are hiding behind scripted tech support personnel.

Right now my connection is crippled it barely works and anything that uses the external ip internally or through the firewall is severely limited.

UPDATE:10/25/13 (part two later that day)

After contacting (unnamed) at frontier consumer affairs and getting past the red tape a tech called me to discuss setting up a new modem from frontier. I feared the tech would push it off as my only equipment choice and insist situation was because incompatible hardware on my end. After a few minutes of discussion we agreed to let him setup a modem and test it at the d-slam. After this call my DSL sync went down. I switched back in my old modem setup that wasn't working in case it came back up fully.

After a few minutes remarkably it came back up and my PPPoE connection established at 3712 using the same hardware/setup prior to the loss of internet. Woohoo!, It then abruptly was dropped again. I Called him up to tell him that I established a connection and PPPoE was started working on my end again. He explained the issue was a bad network port on their end that caused this issue. The reason the connection came back up is the card port was bad/replaced. Amazing ADSL sync, end to end ping almost everything checked out but the PPPoE POP failed to create a session when the PADO packets timed out.

When the connection came back up the second time I noted the 50% drop in provision sync. I explained that my issue wasn't DSL sync or packet loss or my hardware so why did I get re-provisioned. He seemed fine with returning it to 3712 but reluctant sating that the distance would cause buffering. To me if the line is capable of nearly 6mbps having it provisioned to 1700is is way less then 50% capacity. After the changes and several links down the line remained locked to 1700 even though he stated it was for 2500. He eventually figured it out after calling up another tech bringing the rate back up to 3712.

All in all even though my issue was resolved I had to take extraordinary steps to get action. For this reason my ratings will remain extremely low. Because tech support refused to deal with me or issue a repair ticket (shifting the blame) the end result was wasted time and a bitter experience. Even the tech I spoke to seemed to think the issue was on my end after multiple cases that faulted hardware/setup on frontiers end. Every one of these could have been resolved If they listened to my advice and simply placed a repair ticket. As always except for one case (Tel-line was sliced) the connection issues resulted in failures on their hardware. It's really sad to see that a modem needed setup/programmed at the local office to even open a ticket. In the techs eyes I was/am always considered the lose link. That was until their hardware failed to connect! Only then did they realize the issue was real.

All in all if it wasn't for the executive office branch in frontier my internet would probably still be down. After being down four days I'm happy to get it back up without double routing. I solute (unnamed) because she took action again that got past the red tape. My apologies to her because I can't directly identify her under the BBR rules.

Comments:

Review by DeLiver See Profile

• Location: Cincinnatus,Cortland,NY
Good "I have inside support numbers and know the techs and managers."
Bad "VDSL2 at 20/3 (unbonded,unvectored) is what I can get at the moment, 20/5 is doable and I should have pushed it. Next time."
Overall "Frontier or TWC? I'll stick with the local people."

I won't bore everyone with the details of my long term connection with this telco. For the quoted price, we do two fixed IP DSLs, 3 full featured POTS lines and an 800 overlay. With the inside contacts (evading the 800 merry-go-round) the service is excellent. I don't abuse those contacts and get in the 800 queue like all of you, using the lingo that gets you bumped up the food chain. I will say that customer service has degraded somewhat since the Verizon integration - most of the CSRs don't have the detailed information available to deal with sales or support in a particular area. Any change in service will be borked, either service itself or billing - it really is a minefield and needs improvement. If I call for business support, that is what I expect to get. Why do I get asked for residential or business service when I call the business number? Fix it.

I do sympathize with the residential customers out there on long loops, it is tough. I can only speak for my area, and those loops would be in much better shape if the county highway department and your buddy with a backhoe would do an 811 before they dig. Seriously. Copper is only bad when abused or stolen.

Finally, I'll admit to posting this because I tire of the endless drive-by 'reviews' of this company. They are trying hard at least in my area. I'm hooked to a brand new Adtran 5000 as I type.

Life is good.

member for 10 years, 3042 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

Drive by reviews?

Really? What makes theirs "drive by", and yours more pertinent?
DeLiver
join:2004-09-01
Cincinnatus, NY

Re: Drive by reviews?

"Fair warning: reviewer joined this month"

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

Re: Drive by reviews?

said by DeLiver:

"Fair warning: reviewer joined this month"

Really?

RogueJawa

join:2013-08-15
Canal Winchester, OH
Hm. So, does that mean when you joined you were so special that you didn't get "Fair warning: reviewer joined this month"?

Tiff463

@tmodns.net

Don't buy!

Frontier Internet is always extremely slow and every week we have to call them to fix our Internet because it won't work. Worst service ever. Won't be getting again.

Review by Smith6612 See Profile

• Location: Sanborn,Niagara,NY
Good "Tech Support, Uptime, Routing."
Bad "Throughput can be inconsistent during evening hours. Bit pricey for the speed"
Overall "No longer a Frontier customer, but they've been good."

·Verizon Online DSL
I am no longer a Frontier DSL customer, but I do continue to use their landline services. As a parting note, Frontier was very rarely down for me. The only outages I ever encountered was a PPPoA outage which lasted for a few hours, and an outage which was caused by lightning frying a modem.

I was one of the first customers Frontier had for DSL in the Sanborn, NY area when DSL was introduced. The speeds for Frontier Max, the plan I have always subscribed to, began at 1Mbps/128kbps and later on increased to 3Mbps/384kbps a few weeks later as Frontier began to establish their network in the area. The supplied modem was the Speedstream 6520 which is an ADSL2+ 10/100Mbps Wireless G Gateway. The service when it was first connected was awesome. I saw my speeds day and night and it was pretty much reliable. Occasionally when Frontier was having backbone issues I would see a night time slowdown, and support was typically aware of it and willing to file a ticket for 1.5Mbps on a 3Mbps line.

Towards the second and third year of service, Frontier started to have an influx of customers in this area as a result of the trouble going on with the Cable company (Adelphia). As a result, while Frontier had DSLAM capacity to add connections, they did not have the capacity backing up everything at night and as a result, speeds would suffer. It took Frontier a few months to resolve this as it was local, and this was simply a fiber optic upgrade between Central Offices. Once the new Fiber was turned up, speeds returned to normal again. There was a fiber cut a week after which caused packet loss, however the local techs and phone support acknowledged an area issue and the fiber cut was eventually fixed a day later.

Fast forward to more recent events, I've noticed an increase in congestion on the service being caused from the transit in and around the Rochester area, in addition to the transit going to Ashburn, Virginia which is where Frontier has a key POP for peering with other providers. While my slowdowns are no longer local, they happen at various times of the evening and also on various days. Some days the service is consistent, other days it can be as low as 700kbps to most sites and a rollercoaster at that. Gaming performance also deteriorates during this time, with an increase in latency, loss, and jitter. Some latency increases were attributed to the gear in Rochester I must route through (BRAS, Switches, Fiber Ring) being congested which Frontier has been slowly addressing, but not as quick as they should be.

One issue I do have with the service is with my ability to download and upload at the same time. I've done some research, and while we haven't settled on an exact reason for this, whenever I max my download out and attempt to run an upload at full speed my line takes a massive hit on the download. My download also takes a hit when I upload at a very minimal amount as well (for example, downloading at 390KB/s, could upload an additional 2KB/s and my download speed will drop by 100KB/s). Based on what I've found out, this may be due to the old DSLAM I'm attached to, but more than likely it was due to the BRAS (Edge router) I'm attached to. This may be due to the Quality of Service rules I have in place, but I have not been able to get this to perform as I'd like.

As far as the equipment goes, back when Frontier used to give out Siemems modems, they were well known to play up with gaming consoles. They were reliable and stable, with the SE567 giving some pretty good Wireless range, but it was often desired to bridge the modem or replace it with something else. My last modem was a Westell 7500, which has been stable and works fine. Frontier has since moved on to newer units with feature Wireless N support. I'm glad Frontier has moved away from the Siemens modems and has started moving towards Linux-based units. This will, hopefully, allow for far more flexibility with their gear. I've certainly noticed a huge improvement in stability.

The last thing I'd like to mention is that Frontier is now upgrading gear in this area, a much needed upgrade with newer ADSL2+ and VDSL2 gear capable of delivering some better speeds. Some of these upgrades include ADSL2+ bonding on the physical aspects, so there's nothing fancy such as MLPPP being used. I hope they execute this upgrade to the best of their ability and also make full use of all of the equipment. A complaint I have held for years with Frontier is with the speed they also provide in this area. My download speed remains at 3Mbps after 7+ years of service, and the upload was stuck at 384kbps up until the final year of my service. From what I have been able to obtain, the gear Frontier has is very capable of going faster but due to non-technical reasons they will not turn up the speed higher even on the old gear. I won't elaborate on this for various reasons but I really hope they reconsider now that the cable company in this area has some ridiculous speeds and aren't that much more expensive.

Some of you may also wonder why I didn't mention data limits or modem rental fees. I'm not for Frontier trying to cap their users like they've been trying to do for a while in some regions, first starting off at 5GB and then booting higher than average users. They haven't enforced caps in my area yet and I'm glad they haven't. It's not the right direction to go down in a modern Internet if they wish to stay in the wireline ISP business. Leave capping to the wireless providers. Also for the modem rental fees, word has it Frontier is doing away with them. I have never paid a modem rental fee and I have found ways around paying it when I swapped modems to Frontier-supported units. DSL modems are cheap things, and are paid off with a few months of service. Plus, if I ever need support I'd rather not have them blame my modem.

member for 6.6 years, 3765 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mikedz4 See Profile

• Location: Weirton,Hancock,WV
Good "I love the service. A lot slower than the 50mpbs i had with comcast but can't beat for the price"
Bad "I'm too far from central office for 12 mbps down. Hopefully they will upgrade soon to allow 12mbps down"
Overall "Can't beat for the price"

·Verizon Online DSL
I've had service for 2 weeks now. Can't believe how stable it is and still pretty quick. Like I said I am trying to get 12mbps.

Comments:

Review by n2ubp See Profile

• Location: Middletown,Orange,NY
Good "Compared to Time Warner pricing they are relatively inexpensive"
Bad "Frontier Infrasture and speed increase upgrades happening all around me but not at my location"
Overall "Slow but reliable service. Perhaps too slow to handle my household workload. "

I've had Frontier ADSL service since 2001. Connection reliability and monthly charges have improved over these years but available connection speed has not kept up with my household and telecommuting needs. Speed tests are showing 2.6mb speeds on a 3.7mb connection. Adjacent areas serviced by Frontier are offering 5 and 6 mb default speeds for the same price or less than what I pay for my 3.7mb connection. Some nearby towns even have 12mb connections. Calling Frontier Sales gets me an answer of "3.7mb is the fastest you can get in your area" and there are no plans to increase local speed offerings. Time Warner cable with default speeds of 15mbs might be my best solution since Frontier has no upgrade plans in my area just outside of Middletown, NY

member for 7.2 years, 519 visits, last login: a few hours ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

jrtrainer

@199.8.234.x

Frontier service

I have been trying to get my mothers service for her basic phone started for over 10 days. I have spoken to 4 different reps and was even promised a call back, which never happened. My last call ended when they said I did not even have any information in their data base on either myself or my mom. What a company. And we wonder why our government can't get anything done. :~)

Review by ShellMMG See Profile

• Location: Grass Lake,Jackson,MI
Good "Reliable, local tech guys are great!"
Bad "The whole install coordination"
Overall "A HUGE improvement over satellite/wireless or dialup"

Pack lots of patience when installing new service! The only thing that went RIGHT from drop to connecting to the network were the diligence of the local gents completing the post-winter drop and hooking up the modem. We even had our dry loop disconnected and given to a new customer, creating an afternoon of sheer panic until a tech physically fixed it!

Since our install the only trouble has been Mother Nature with power outages or regional congestion/interruptions at CO's. it's been very reliable in speed and we were even bumped up from 3mb to 6. Our drop is also ready for when/if bonded DSL ever comes though.

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

FRONTIER = WORST COMPANY WORLD WIDE

THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER DELT WITH. FIRST I LOSE INTERNET FOR A MONTH, REFUSE TO PAY THE BILL THEN THEY TELL ME IF I PAY THE BILL THEY WILL PROVIDE HOME PHONE SERVICE FOR THE SAME RATE. THEN THEY NEVER PUT IN THE PHONE AND SAY NONE OF THAT WAS DICUSSED AFTER I PAID THEM. INTERNET COULDNT BE ANY SLOWER WITH THEM, GOES DOWN 15 TIMES A MONTH! I WOULDNT WISH THEM ON MY OWN WORST ENEMY.