Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by applerule See Profile

• Location: Weaverville,Buncombe,NC
Good "DSL Internet is better than dialup"
Bad "Speed not as advertised, customer service, communication."
Overall "Use 4G/3G/Satellite instead...it's that bad."

·US Cellular
·Millenicom
Where I live my options were to go with Frontier DSL, WISP, Cellular, or Satellite. The first thing I tried was the WISP; however, after a site survey I do not have good enough LOS to the tower to get the service. Therefore, since Frontier was the only uncapped option left, I decided to go with them.

Subscribing to the service was interesting. Even though I knew Frontier serviced my area (my neighbor has it), I had to call twice to even get them to say that I could get service. I ordered their DSL 'Broadband Ultra' plan - which is up to 12mbps. When I talked to Frontier on the phone, they said the fastest I would ever be able to receive was 7.1mbps even though I would be paying for 12mbps. I agreed to this. The install was scheduled for a Friday morning between 8am and Noon.

On Friday, the installer called me at about 8:15AM to tell me that he would be arriving in the next few minutes. The installer then arrived and installed my DSL service. I still have a line laying across my yard that the installer said would be buried in a few weeks. The installer was great...if only everything else went as well as the initial install.

After the installer left, I logged into my modem (Which is a Netgear 7550) and noticed I was only provisioned for about 3.3mbps. I called Frontier customer service and explained that I was only provisioned for 3.3. The rep told me that sometimes it takes a few hours for everything to update in their computer to reflect what I am paying for, and the speed would increase. About 8 hours later, I call back again. This time I'm told it will be after midnight before it will reprovision any faster. I call back the next morning, and am told that all I can get is 3mbps where I live. Then, I proceed to complain about the fact that I was sold the 12Mbps plan and that I will never receive that speed. I explain that I want to be dropped to a lower plan if I will never receive this speed. The rep just keeps telling me over and over that 12mbps is "up to" and not a guaranteed speed.

I had to call again to explain my situation again and then I find out that they had already dropped me to the 6Mbps plan (I am told that there is no 3Mbps plan -- I assume that the last time I called they dropped me to it without telling me or something...) --without notifying me of the change. I explain that I had not been told of this again, and ask for my new price (about $45/mo for DSL only, which was cheaper than I was originally quoted at about $55/mo for 12mbps); however, I was never informed of this change, or what my speed would be. If I had not been savvy enough to complain about this, I wonder how many people are paying for speeds that they can never receive.

Now that my Frontier has openly admitted that I will only get 3mbps, I get pretty close to that speed. During peak hours it will drop to 1.8mbps-2.4mbps, but otherwise I usually speedtest around 2.8mbps. Pings typically run in the 150-250ms range. I had 50mbps cable before, and this speed is horrible compared to what I used to get with cable, and is very noticeable. I'm in the process of mounting a 4g antenna and going with Verizon/Millenicom to get faster speeds and the 20g data cap. (No Sprint 4g here)

In short, it's better than dealing with dialup/satellite, but at these speeds and with the customer service I have had with them, I would run far away if you have any other viable options. I have had Charter and Comcast in the past and I would run back to them in a heartbeat. I would easily pay more for another service if I could get it. You don't realize how good you have it with some other companies until you have to deal with a company like Frontier.

See screenshots for best/worst tests.

Update 2/20/13:

Speeds were pretty close to 3Mbit down most of the time at first, then it just started going all over the place. Two people cannot share the line. If one person downloads something, your latency will shoot to 500+ ms.

DSL went down a few days ago due to the fact my line has been laying across the public road for over a month, even though I was assured the line would be buried within two weeks of the install. I called tech support, and even though my line was laying in the ditch, I appeased the CSR by going through all the troubleshooting steps. I was informed it would take FIVE days to get a service tech out to have it reconnected. Since it was going to take so long, and the service has been so horrible, I have officially disconnected my service and have went to 4G as my only source of internet.

I had already e-mailed our regional manager a month ago about getting some faster speeds, but that never went anywhere either.

Long story short, I am paying double what it cost for the DSL to keep some form of high speed internet, and I don't mind to do so because the experience with Frontier has been horrible. I would use 4G or satellite before I would ever go with Frontier for any services again.

Comments:

Review by brkr19 See Profile

• Location: Genoa,Dekalb,IL
Bad "Very slow and costs as much as Comcast"

Slow speed. Called tech suppt of course the speed test says 1.5mb/sec but thats not what I get when I download and the browsing is slow too. Tech suppt says "not our problem".

Comments:

Review by asdfasd2 See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Platte,NE
Good "Not owned by recording industry. I've never had a C&D."
Bad "Unstable, speeds not as advertised, poor tech support, VERY slow for what you pay"
Overall "Don't use them unless they're the only ISP in town."

For the first few years of being with this company (since around 2003), I was miserable. Something in their box out in our yard was messed up, it was making our connection essentially unusable for MMO gaming and completely down altogether when it rained. They kept sending techs out, they started threatening to charge us for the tech trips, they kept not fixing the problem. Some of their attempts at "fixing" it resulted in our speed dropping to half for no apparent reason and it took years to get them to revert THAT change (same old distance excuse, despite the fact it was 2x faster before they started messing with it to "fix" things). EVENTUALLY, they finally replaced whatever was buggered up in the box and apologized.

The net itself, when "working correctly", is unstable, especially in the evenings, because they need a serious hardware upgrade to get with modern times. There are times when pages won't load or game latency spikes up to 2000ms.

I still have random short periods of no connection at all, though fairly rare now - 1-3 times a month.

That aside, their prices for slow internet are absurd. If your internet is slow, they will blame you or the distance, even if it's their problem.

Also worthy of note:

This is one of the companies that tried to implement a 5gb cap on slow $50/mo 3mbit connection with a steep charge per gb. Bandwidth doesn't cost nearly that much! And it's so slow compared to modern internet!

I'm not exaggerating, unfortunately. I've put up with this company because the only other ISP here is Time Warner - it's way faster but it's owned by the recording industry and too far to service me anyways.

Comments:

Review by Stimpy See Profile

• Location: Oberlin,Lorain,OH
Good "# of hops, speed constant, few dropouts."
Bad "others in my town mention problems, other's stories."
Overall "I love Frontier. As far as personal experience, they've been perfect."

I've started on Verizon and recently went from a single 768kup/6Mbdown to 2Mb up/12Mbdown bonded service. I use Second Life, which is sensitive to packet loss and latencies. I've had a few more packets dropped with the bonded ASDL, but its literally been from a few hundred dropped packets out of millions to a % or two.

The service, from the operators from the techs who've come to the house, has been outstanding. I came from AT&T which used Indian operators who were nice, but seemed pretty powerless. Verizon and now Frontier seem to have happier workers.

tl;dr: Frontier is great!

Comments:

Review by taighitu See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Snohomish,WA
Good "It is more consistent than when we had Verizon."
Bad "High latency and ping times every now and then."
Overall "Not bad for the money."

We got Verizon when we built the house. Had problems with Comcast.
We have a bundled package, DSL, phone and Directv.
3 meg download and 768 upload, we're not heavy streaming movie users, mainly e-mail, news and chat rooms so no need for high speed.
They supplied Actiontec router/ modem which has been changed 3 times now and latest one has been running for two years without problems.
Tech support is good, friendly although not always able to come up with solutions especially high latency and ping times to our local office.

member for 7.8 years, 1120 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Zionikk See Profile

• Location: North Baltimore,Wood,OH
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Internet Always On."
Bad "400Kbps instead of 3Mbps"
Overall "Not bad, will be much better when they fully deploy VDSL."

We had no choice but to use Frontier after Verizon sold out. In early 2011 our internet connection was always slow and the connection wasn't reliable at all. It would always disconnect and go out whenever it rained. I called and talked to customer service and they said it was because of an upgrade that they were doing in my area and told me that it wouldn't be complete until around March 2011. I made it through the outages and after March everything seemed to run fine.

Well not everything, my connection was reliable and it stopped going out. But I was paying for 3mb down but was only averaging around 400kb. I tried to get it fixed but they said that my area was congested. I ended up dealing with it until this year, my bill started getting higher and higher so I cancelled the service all together.

Update 12-20-2012:

Decided that I am going to get Frontier again, and I found out that I can now get up to 6Mps. I am also going to get a second connect line. I'm hoping that since I had to do a complete re-order that my speeds will be closer to the advertised ones. I'm not sure though because I'm still using all the old equipment. I will be updating again on the 24th when my internet is actually turned back on.

Also, I seen that a city in my county that is less than 20 miles away from me just recently got VDSL. They can now get speeds from 6-40Mbps. So I emailed the General Manager and he is sending a technician out to my town to see about our community getting VDSL. He even called me after I gave him my number in a second email and we discussed it more.

He seemed very happy that more customers were interested in getting VDSL and I just want to say that he is a great guy!

Comments:

Review by SteveJobs See Profile

• Location: Flanagan,Livingston,IL
Good " Always on"
Bad "Slow speeds"
Overall "Good for people that need always on internet"

To note, the zip code i entered is a town that is in my county, as I do not want to give my exact location.

We used to be with Verizon, before frontier bought them out and we have seen a great increase in service. We have always been on the 1.5mbps tier until June of this year, when we upgraded to their 3mbps plan. It has been pretty well, my parents reporting that the computer that is bridged via LAN from the router said they have had more problems, but i do not believe them. The extra bandwidth was appreciated, however not enough. The cost is extremely expensive for what we get, as we can get 15mbps on Mediacom for 10 bucks a month. We are unfortunatly locked into a contract, so we can not leave. However, I am severely frustrated at them, as a rural town down the road gets 7mbps internet, while our max is 3. And we live in a much larger town then the town that gets 7mbps. And they have had it before the bonded DSL was announced, also. I see all of these awful stories with frontier, but we have had no issues. The support has always been helpful. I do not like how they charge $85 if the tech steps foot in your home.

We also have our phone service bundled with this, That is 30 bucks a month, We have no complaints here.

I see great potental in frontier once their bonded dsl becomes fully deployed.

Comments:

Review by nate155 See Profile

• Location: Delta,Millard,UT
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Not much choice..."

We have had Frontier internet for a number of years and like clock work since we have had them can almost guarantee I will have a high latency from 4 pm to 11 pm and all day on Sundays and Saturdays and holidays and im not talking about 150-200 ms I am talking 350-2000 ms they told me 2 months ago they were working on the problem. come to find out they over sold service and they cant support the number of users they have on. not only that their upload speed is capped at 23KBS download avg goes about 110KBS late at night might get 140-150 KBS we were sold as it being a 3mibt connection but I was told the line can't support it though how it can suppose an insane amount of users I don't know they say they have no plan to increase peoples speeds even though a cable company is moving in in 2014-2015 that will offer most users in Town 25mibit for same price If I was in the main 84624 Area I would not sign a contract with this company as I'd wait for cable or go with the wireless alternative

Comments:

Review by asdjf See Profile

• Location: Old Fields,Hardy,WV
Good "Better than satellite"
Bad "Incompetent, rude and slow"
Overall "They take advantage of people."

·HughesNet Satell..
Let me tell you a story, one of many, of how Frontier is the most horrible ISP there is.

I called to get them to bring up the upload speed to somewhat match what I am paying for (3M/512kbps) because upload at the time was only 200kbps. The next day the speed dropped to 1mbit down/0.1 up. Called tech support and they said that rather than fixing the speed issue, the tech lowered our speed down to the one meg tier because that's "all we are capable of getting", nevermind that we were getting 2.6Mbit/s a couple days ago. Tech support said this was done because we are 20,000 feet from the CO but we are not, it is only 700 feet away as told to me by the CSR when ordering the service.

I go back and forth with them for a while and then they transfer me to customer service's escalation department. They tell me that they can downgrade me to the 1mbit plan but it would be an extra $20 a month. How does that even make sense?? I want the speed fixed and they want to not only put me on a lower speed but charge me more for lower speed. This lady just kept saying that I was getting the speed that I should be getting, that's all that I could be getting. And after telling her again that tech support specifically told me that they downgraded my speed she told me that they will think about sending a tech out. She then went on to threaten me with permanently having no internet service if I complain about the speeds. I am not kidding, this woman actually said that if I kept 'making changes to my account' that I might not end up with service at all. Even though I want them to fix it, not make any changes.. After this exchange I ask for the woman's name, which she refuses to give. I ask her three times, and each time she said have a nice day. Unbelievable.

I have a great many stories like this about this service, like how they cannot find my city on a map and they say it does not show that I have service with them even though I am on the service right now, that this is not their area even though all my neighbors have frontier, about the many times that techs cancelled the install order when they could not be bothered to come to the house.

Comments:

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

wow

Nailed it!

Anon512

@qwest.net

When you say 0.2M, do you mean MB/s or Mb/s? If you were advertised 512 Kb/s then that equals 0.512 Mb/s or 0.062 MB/s. If you were getting 0.2 MB/s or even 0.1 MB/s then you were indeed getting more than what they offered.

asdjf

join:2005-01-01

Re: Reply

I mean Mbits, Mb/s.

Review by kjpwv See Profile

• Location: Fairmont,Marion,WV
Good "Local Technicians are awesome, they have done everything in their power to get me a reliable connection"
Bad "National Customer Support. So bad it's laughable, just absolute iddiots who have no idea what is going on at the field level."
Overall "If you can fight your way through support and get a local technician, s/he can tell you what is really happening"

Installed in March 2012, finally writing a review.

I have had a long strange trip with various internet traveling on various radio waves until finally land based DSL came to my door. Well actually I had to drag it to my door kicking and screaming for several months until the National morons finally sent out my hero Brian. My neighbors had had DSL for about a month and I called Frontier multiple times trying to get them to send someone out to see if I could get service, everything including outright begging. On about the 4th or 5th try I finally got someone who was willing to listen, there is service very near by, please for the love of goodness send someone to check it out.

When my new hero arrived he saw that I was at a nexus of exchanges, one way went to the north and Morgantown, the other the south to Fairmont. Out here you can make a choice when you build what exchange they wanted to be on, and the original builder decided to go north which had no service (at the time, they do now 6 months later), but with a little work Brian could reroute me south where service was live. The techs came out on Friday afternoon at about 3pm in the rain and hooked me up and I've been pretty happy since.. but there have been a few hiccups.

For a short periods my internet would only work from 9pm to 9am, then it would disconnect and reconnect every minute or so making it unusable. It took a few calls and almost 5 days to get a technician out, but they were able to find the issue quickly once they were finally dispatched, loose wire at the CO that was making intermittent contact. Again the national level failed me miserable while the local tech took care of business.

All in all my experience is the West Virginia techs are doing everything they can with the garbage Verizon left, and are revealing absolutely no help from above. Compared to HughesNet and Ntelos 3G this connection is beyond fantastic. Highest quality Netflix with little to no buffering, I always max out and exceed (4 and sometimes 5 meg 29ms ping) the speeds I am paying (3/.75) so I'm quite content. Now that I have most of the local techs numbers I don't even deal with the national morons anymore.

The price is right, $44 with all fees, least I've paid for internet in my 7 years out in the sticks.