Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by skidmarks See Profile

• Location: Unityville,Lycoming,PA
Good "They try to fix issues"
Bad "Poor Service for the cost"
Overall "No choice when they are the only name in the game"

Have the 6M down plan. Modem is set to 3.7M so the best that can happen is 3.7. Unfortunately I have never seen speeds out of the 2M down range since I started the service. Was talked into the "free" second connect line (was told it would be bonded). Its not. So I have a dry pair that I attempted to bridge with some equipment that I own with my primary DSL. The speeds are SO poor I could not bridge them to improve my situation. As soon the as sun goes down my 2M speed drops to anywhere from .2 to .5 M down! Ping rates day or night are awful... 200 to 800ms from the first hop out from my house. Frontier is not interested in hearing the word latency or Ping rates. They ignore you when you start to try and discuss these numbers. I have had 20 trouble tickets cleared over a 3 month period... The local Telco guys told me it was a congested area, the frontier customer support said it was not. Finally customer support has my area listed in the congested area (no help with getting the speeds that we pay for, but at least it is a small victory that they admit it to be a congested area now).

The connection reliability is fine... but the speeds are not what I pay for nd most nights I could get out my 56K modem and achieve better speeds!

Guess the bottom line is I live in the sticks, frontier is the only name in the game. In my opinion they are not going to put money into remote locations to improve service, but still bill you at a extremely high rate for the crappy service (speeds). The local Telco guys are great, but obviously they don't write the checks to pay for upgrades...

Comments:

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

Sticks?

I live in a city, but was on the edge of their service area. Could not get anything above 3megs. They wouldn't do anything about it and probably still haven't. Thank goodness for Fiber. Dropped stinkin' Frontier in a heartbeat.

Review by OSIU See Profile

• Location: Medina,Medina,OH
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "?"
Bad "Good luck with support and trying to get someone to fix it if you have a problem."
Overall "Beats satellite"

·Armstrong Zoom ..
Update 5/7/13:

Well, Armstrong Zoom has been pretty solid and no complaints here. More speed for the same money....... Good bye Frontier!

Update 4/17/13:

Finally fixed after a week! Gave me a new Netgear 7500 DSL modem/ gateway. Going to give cable a try and will cancel the weakest link.

Update 4/15/13:

Internet went down Wednesday morning (4/10) around 7 AM (I was using it at the time). Called support and they said they would have it fixed by 5 PM 4/11. Apparently there was an issue in the DSLAM and nothing wrong with my equipment. Morning of 4/11 arrived and they called and left a voicemail indicating they were running a little behind and would have it fixed by 5 PM 4/12. Called support around 5:30 PM 4/12 and they escalated it and it would be fixed 4/13. Called 7:30 PM 4/13 and now they weren't giving me an ETA of fixing. I said okay and promptly scheduled an cable internet hookup on Friday 4/19. Goodbye Frontier. Mismanagement into bankruptcy anyone?

*************************************************************************************This is my review of Frontier DSL after the transition from Verizon. See »Review of Verizon Online DSL by OSIU for my Verizon DSL review.

Speed (3/?) stayed the same and service has been consistent without any outages that I have noticed.

Frontier has cooked up some new packages and prices since the switch from Verizon. I was also notified that my area had been updated with the ADSL2+ technology and they are offering 6M and 12 M plans in my area, which are certainly under consideration as well. I am in the process of evaluating them and making a change. An edit will appear when I finally decide which way to go.

Comments:

isp10002

join:2012-10-24
·Frontier Communi..
·Dish Network
·Verizon Wireless..

Dsl

Hi i actually live not far from you and have frontier dsl as well. The highest i can get is 3 mbps, also the upload speed is 768k if you dident know. This service has been good for me. Frontier services the medina/Wayne area, No body can give you an estimate of when dsl service will be back up so dont count on the date they give you.

Review by Terroriffic See Profile

• Location: Houlka,Chickasaw,MS
Good "Best option where I live."
Bad "Not nearly the connection I'm paying for."
Overall "Disappointment all around."

I've been getting DSL from Frontier in Houlka, MS for about 3 years now, started as a 1Mbps down/128k Up then a while back they upped it to 2.5 down/256k up and I was really happy with that for a while.(In comparison to the satellite we used to have)
However, For a couple of months now, I've had constant trouble with huge decreases in speed and even frequent disconnects on some days. I've called Support and technicians have come multiple times, still with no improvement.
When everything is okay my ping stays around 105ms, which i feel should be faster anyway, but as of late it's been upwards of 200-300ms with huge amounts of jitter while download speed has been more than halved.
It's absolutely dreadful and the techs and support reps seem to have no idea why it happens :/
Hope to see something resolved soon.

Picture below of my speedtest from just before writing this.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2686244524.png

• Location: Hillsboro,Washington,OR
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Sometimes the tec. rep has nice voice"
Bad "See star ratings"
Overall "Money thrown a way"

Frontier DSL connection in our NE Brogden St neighborhood is like tired old
wet dog in a freezing night. Old dial up modem is sometimes faster then t
heir DSL. Same goes with Frontier customer service. If you enjoy mental torture, just call them.

(review was emailed from domain msn.com)

Comments:

Review by DurhamDanger See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Local Tech Support are Great"
Bad "Oversold DSL leads to speeds LESS THAN Dialup"
Overall "$5 credit off bill still does not help crappy speeds"

·Earthlink Cable ..
I was one of those many people who had Verizon before they sold Durham to Frontier. The sale was years in planning during which time Verizon ran Durham into the ground. On the switch to Frontier my network immediately bottomed out. However the field engineers and local techs worked through the issues and fixed my 3Mbps/768kbps to acceptable speeds hovering around 2.5 Mbps.

Until last week that is...we have been experiencing terribly crappy speeds during the evening hours and just plain crappy speeds during the day. We've even had network disconnections happen now. My last speed tests are now showing horrific speeds of 168kbps down. That is even crappy for dial-up!

When consulting with the technician, she admitted Durham has been over-subscribed in DSL and they don't expect to have it completely fixed until June 2013. Sending me over to customer support, they could only offer me a $5 credit for six months. That's five dollars off unusable service? It's like handing a company money for absolutely nothing.

I was supposed to get a call from the local technical manager to either explain the issue and do something about it or offer up something else. Nope. No call today.

I am having to move to another service (most likely Earthlink cable) to get the Internet back into my house.

Comments:
TBBroadband

·MegaPath

Elink

Elink is just resold TWC. You will still have to deal 100% with TWC for everything, install, billing and basically support. And if Elink can't fix the problem on the phone, they will send you a tech. Also Elink does not have access to most D3 plans. So you'll be stuck with what TWC gives them.
DurhamDanger

join:2013-03-13
Durham, NC
·Earthlink Cable ..
·Frontier Communi..

Re: Elink

Oh I pretty much knew Earthy would be riding on TWC cables as TWC and Frontier are the only choices for Durham.

Makes me want to smack our Mayor Bill Bell for getting us into this mess and then I remember it's the city council that has the real power here.

Right now I'm just looking for cheapest connection until this town breaks the law and puts together a municipal line.

Review by smtfish See Profile

• Location: Shepherdstown,Jefferson,WV
Good "pleasant employees, sometimes helpful, always professional"
Bad "inefficient bureaucracy, *!# yahoo ad-laden webmail, slow dsl offerings, monopoly"
Overall "love-hate relationship with the new/old Frontier"

At my home office, I have the only DSL speed supposedly offered in my area which is 2.5 mbps down, 512 up. (There used to be multi-tiered offerings but when I inquired I was told I only have one option). I've been a customer with Frontier both on the business side (POTS,T-1,metro-e,PRI) and their residential side (POTS, DSL) for over 15 years. I oversee services which total over $1400/month to Frontier.

I abhor their sales/marketing function. As a customer, I get constant mailings to buy services I already have, while at the same time being exhorted to go green with electronic statements. Physical statements often have ads selling junk for 3rd party services. Their sales technique to a captive audience in what is essentially a monopoly market is ineffective at best- irritating at worst. Having been a long-time customer, my irritation with Frontier continues to escalate over time. In addition to their snail mailings their current Yahoo web-mail is laden with cr@pvertising, C'mon I'm a paying customer. If there was another option for combined phone+internet I'd jump ship in a heartbeat.

Frontier is a multi-headed monster. I've been transferred between as many as four agents in a circular loop. I've signed contracts for services that took 6+ months to install (still in process). After the sale is made - don't expect the salesperson to call back if there is trouble. Where's the accountability?

Frontier has many gems in its technical support staff if you can get to the 2nd tier support or talk to people actually making the repairs. They are pleasant, intelligent, stay on the problem until it is resolved, and followup.

One problem I've noticed is that the support functions are divided by specialty (by necessity) but they often don't talk to each other. As a result diagnosis is often slow and sometimes the first response is along the lines of "we can't see a problem, it must be on your end" or "are you willing to accept any fees before we come out" Jeez, I thought you were the experts. In a world where network testers can tell me a line break is 50 ft away, I still don't understand why their troubleshooting tools seem to be lacking. This is both a technology and a management issue. Focus here first- not on your marketing. There once was a time after a recurring number of failures with Frontier, that I had a dedicated rep - amazingly all the problems and frustrations seemed to vanish almost instantly. Sadly that hasn't been the case for some time now

Frontier executives, please sit in on a support ticket from beginning to end. To truly understand the magnitude of your inefficiency, don't interfere in the process because then you won't see all the circular loops and hoops your customers are jumping through.

Frontier, cut your sales and marketing budget, streamline your support processes and use the money you save to improve your infrastructure in WV, improve your internet offerings to be competitive with Comcast, and get rid of the yahoo mail for residential customers. . . Then perhaps instead of deterring other people from signing up for your services, I will actually recommend you.

update 2013Mar6. I still stand by my original review but I will mention on the plus side I was able to increase my speeds to roughly 6 mbps down/768 kbps up. That said, they seem to be severely bandwidth constrained at their Charles Town, Central Office especially during the evenings. Heck, they even admit it on their speedtest.frontiernet.net webpage. I've been with them so long, I probably could be described as tel-codependent.

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Off topic.

What does TDS telecom have to do with this review? Don't spam the forum.

Re: Off topic.

trying to sell TDS's service in other areas??? They are a CLEC as well.

Yahoo! Mail

If you don't like the Yahoo! Webmail why use it? Why not go else where to obtain your own domain and host it some where?

Review by Gentoo See Profile

• Location: Carbondale,Jackson,IL
Good "Good off peak speeds and not much else"
Bad "Extremely High ping, Congestion, and Horrible tech support."
Overall "Oversold network, It's just not worth it."

·Mediacom
I signed up for frontiers 3Mbps/0.750Mbps Dry line DSL package for $40 a month plus a $5 modem rental fee. When we signed up they told us it would be on in 1-2 days. That never happened, we ended up waiting about 3 weeks with multiple calls to frontier wandering what the hell was going on. I'm not sure if there was a legitimate problem or that they just don't care.

Were I live frontier seems to suffer extreme congestion problems, starting at noon my speed slowly drop then about 7-10 it just dies completely with downloads as slow as 0.10Mbps. Then at midnight my speeds skyrocket to a constant 2.8Mbps. Overall I'm not very pleased and living in rural southern Illinois, I won't be seeing any upgrades for a long time.

I am no longer a Frontier Customer.

Comments:

Polmood

@direcway.com

Phone and internet service and customer service

I live in Berkeley Springs Wv and the only service available to me is Frontier and they are terrible. I have struggled with them since November trying to get my internet to work and my phone bill correct. They have over charged my for several months and never can get anything resolved. The internet only works half the time. I have searched for other companies and Froniter is the only one in our area. I would give them a F for service teh support and customer service. I did look up the Better Business and they dont meet the requirments so what does that tell you.

MadatFrontie

@frontiernet.net

Re: Phone and internet service and customer service

Here in Utah they massively over sold their network in my area I called tech because they told me 6 months ago they would fix it anyway the tech guy that came out told me they had sold to over 180 homes and they only had 6 t-1 lines to run all of us and they wouldn't get any more until the weather was better Horrid you should fix lines then sell to customers they also told most new people they would get speeds up to 25mbit when they will never ever be able to offer more then maybe 3 with the new lines they are putting in

Review by applerule See Profile

• Location: Weaverville,Buncombe,NC
Good "DSL Internet is better than dialup"
Bad "Speed not as advertised, customer service, communication."
Overall "Use 4G/3G/Satellite instead...it's that bad."

·US Cellular
·Millenicom
Where I live my options were to go with Frontier DSL, WISP, Cellular, or Satellite. The first thing I tried was the WISP; however, after a site survey I do not have good enough LOS to the tower to get the service. Therefore, since Frontier was the only uncapped option left, I decided to go with them.

Subscribing to the service was interesting. Even though I knew Frontier serviced my area (my neighbor has it), I had to call twice to even get them to say that I could get service. I ordered their DSL 'Broadband Ultra' plan - which is up to 12mbps. When I talked to Frontier on the phone, they said the fastest I would ever be able to receive was 7.1mbps even though I would be paying for 12mbps. I agreed to this. The install was scheduled for a Friday morning between 8am and Noon.

On Friday, the installer called me at about 8:15AM to tell me that he would be arriving in the next few minutes. The installer then arrived and installed my DSL service. I still have a line laying across my yard that the installer said would be buried in a few weeks. The installer was great...if only everything else went as well as the initial install.

After the installer left, I logged into my modem (Which is a Netgear 7550) and noticed I was only provisioned for about 3.3mbps. I called Frontier customer service and explained that I was only provisioned for 3.3. The rep told me that sometimes it takes a few hours for everything to update in their computer to reflect what I am paying for, and the speed would increase. About 8 hours later, I call back again. This time I'm told it will be after midnight before it will reprovision any faster. I call back the next morning, and am told that all I can get is 3mbps where I live. Then, I proceed to complain about the fact that I was sold the 12Mbps plan and that I will never receive that speed. I explain that I want to be dropped to a lower plan if I will never receive this speed. The rep just keeps telling me over and over that 12mbps is "up to" and not a guaranteed speed.

I had to call again to explain my situation again and then I find out that they had already dropped me to the 6Mbps plan (I am told that there is no 3Mbps plan -- I assume that the last time I called they dropped me to it without telling me or something...) --without notifying me of the change. I explain that I had not been told of this again, and ask for my new price (about $45/mo for DSL only, which was cheaper than I was originally quoted at about $55/mo for 12mbps); however, I was never informed of this change, or what my speed would be. If I had not been savvy enough to complain about this, I wonder how many people are paying for speeds that they can never receive.

Now that my Frontier has openly admitted that I will only get 3mbps, I get pretty close to that speed. During peak hours it will drop to 1.8mbps-2.4mbps, but otherwise I usually speedtest around 2.8mbps. Pings typically run in the 150-250ms range. I had 50mbps cable before, and this speed is horrible compared to what I used to get with cable, and is very noticeable. I'm in the process of mounting a 4g antenna and going with Verizon/Millenicom to get faster speeds and the 20g data cap. (No Sprint 4g here)

In short, it's better than dealing with dialup/satellite, but at these speeds and with the customer service I have had with them, I would run far away if you have any other viable options. I have had Charter and Comcast in the past and I would run back to them in a heartbeat. I would easily pay more for another service if I could get it. You don't realize how good you have it with some other companies until you have to deal with a company like Frontier.

See screenshots for best/worst tests.

Update 2/20/13:

Speeds were pretty close to 3Mbit down most of the time at first, then it just started going all over the place. Two people cannot share the line. If one person downloads something, your latency will shoot to 500+ ms.

DSL went down a few days ago due to the fact my line has been laying across the public road for over a month, even though I was assured the line would be buried within two weeks of the install. I called tech support, and even though my line was laying in the ditch, I appeased the CSR by going through all the troubleshooting steps. I was informed it would take FIVE days to get a service tech out to have it reconnected. Since it was going to take so long, and the service has been so horrible, I have officially disconnected my service and have went to 4G as my only source of internet.

I had already e-mailed our regional manager a month ago about getting some faster speeds, but that never went anywhere either.

Long story short, I am paying double what it cost for the DSL to keep some form of high speed internet, and I don't mind to do so because the experience with Frontier has been horrible. I would use 4G or satellite before I would ever go with Frontier for any services again.

Comments:

Review by brkr19 See Profile

• Location: Genoa,Dekalb,IL
Bad "Very slow and costs as much as Comcast"

Slow speed. Called tech suppt of course the speed test says 1.5mb/sec but thats not what I get when I download and the browsing is slow too. Tech suppt says "not our problem".

Comments:

Review by Stimpy See Profile

• Location: Oberlin,Lorain,OH
Good "# of hops, speed constant, few dropouts."
Bad "others in my town mention problems, other's stories."
Overall "I love Frontier. As far as personal experience, they've been perfect."
(ratings well above consensus)

I've started on Verizon and recently went from a single 768kup/6Mbdown to 2Mb up/12Mbdown bonded service. I use Second Life, which is sensitive to packet loss and latencies. I've had a few more packets dropped with the bonded ASDL, but its literally been from a few hundred dropped packets out of millions to a % or two.

The service, from the operators from the techs who've come to the house, has been outstanding. I came from AT&T which used Indian operators who were nice, but seemed pretty powerless. Verizon and now Frontier seem to have happier workers.

tl;dr: Frontier is great!