Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by Aznightfalls See Profile

• Location: Lake Havasu City,Mohave,AZ
Good "The local customer service people"
Bad "Speed."
Overall "Most times do not even get half the speed paying for."

Local office is great to deal with. The DL speed really bites. I have 6/1 and can only get 2.3/1 Which means Netflix locks, games dont play well. I am looking to change to wireless maybe, just not cable since they meter.

member for 1 year, 19 visits, last login: 341 days ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by CAPThomas See Profile

• Location: Mount Dora,Lake,FL
Good "Installation, Actual vs Quoted Speed, Field Technicians, No Contract"
Bad "Disconnects, Communication of Appointment Window from Sales to Technician"
Overall "Good value where there is little / no competition"

Until this month, I have not been able to get Internet service at my seasonal cottage in northern lower Michigan. Frontier just started offering dsl in my area. I called on Thursday, ordered their "Max" service of up to 6 MB service. They offered to mail a self installation kit, but I declined, stating that I did not want to have to climb the pole to run a drop, or to open their cable boxes to connect at the junction boxes at the street. I did not have wired telephone service or a drop.

I was told that they could schedule a technician to install, but it would likely be a week out, vs the three days I requested. After pulling the credit report and setting up the account, Sales advised that there was a 4 - 6 PM appointment available on Saturday, within two days. I accepted.

When I got to the cottage at 2:30 PM on Saturday, I found a card that the technician had already been there, could not install, and to call for a new appointment. I drove toward town to call and saw a Frontier Technician working at a box about three miles up the road. He agreed to return later Saturday and do my install. Interesting, he advised that the dispatch window given to him was noon - 3 PM and they they never worked past 5 PM.

He did a competent, neat install, explained what I was doing, showed me test speeds of 6.944/1.152, or more than the 6 MB ordered, and explained the receiver use and settings. I am only about 350 feet from their line to fiber box.

So - within about 50 hours of ordering, I was online with acceptable speeds.

I've found that the Model 7550 receiver drops the connection several times / day, but comes back promptly when I power it down / up. For me, this is a small price to pay considering that I was previously unable to get Internet or cell service at my cottage.

I've had a few speed slowdowns, which appear to be network congestion, and had a bit of difficulty setting up my vpn service, but otherwise all is good.

Overall, I'm pleased.

Cap

Comments:

Review by darthfadar See Profile

• Location: Mcminnville,Yamhill,OR
Good "Fast, stable"
Bad "Haven't found any bad, yet"
Overall "Better value than Comcast"

Got Frontier FIOS, today. Tech was on time, polite & answered all my questions. All hardware was installed & running with an hour & half.

Tech then helped setup wireless configuration & verified all devices we running on the network.

Speeds are great. No latency & the price is half of what Comcast offered.

Good to go!

member for 12.9 years, 2105 visits, last login: 151 days ago

Comments:

Review by csmith

• Location: Concho,Apache,AZ

I don't know how I could possibly hate a ISP any more than I hate Frontier!

I not only am forced to have Frontier DSL at my residence... and pay for two DSL lines because they just can't provide me with enough speed to browse
the internet AND stream netflix or any other media outlet at the same time.

Also, I am in IT as a Managed Services Provider. I have problems with EVERY
SINGLE client that uses Frontier! I am not joking or exxagerating! Their service is abysmal! There have been several times that I have noticed ALL of
our customers in a geographic location lose their internet... only to call
Frontier and have them deny they are experiencing any outage in the area.
Every time without exception, I will remain on the call long enough for the
"outage notification" to reach their call center staff... usually after at
least 30 minutes of a whole section of NE Arizona being out... completely.
.. before their own engineers even know it! Sad,

If I had ANY other choice... I would happily tell them to stick it! I may have found a new Wi-Power provider that I will happily be moving to, without
a single second of care regarding the cost!

Frontier HAS to be the absolute WORST ISP out there. I simply cannot understand how they remain in business outside of their corner on the rural market.

Maddening!

(review was emailed from domain computertechnologiesllc.com)

Comments:

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

The absolute worst..

I wholeheartedly agree with your post. Frontier is the worst.
faxmachine

join:2005-07-20
Oakland, CA

Re: The absolute worst..

I'll agree with that. I've got to deal with Frontier in Middletown NY. Their speeds are abysmal and their tech support is poor at best.

Private

@rr.com

Former employee

Here's the 411 on frontier-it's a piece of shit company! They lie and are very sneaky bout adding extra charges on ur bill including the newest one Auto Migration. Anyone that was verizon and then frontier is now ur provider-u r going to get screwed. For example-when someone was with verizon and had phone and Internet with no contract-ur bill is going to start raising $6 on the Internet every month till it reaches the new price of either $34.99, 44.99 or Internet only customers with no contract (during verizon era) to 39.99 or 49.99. It depends on the area u live in for those prices and nothing u can do about it. Frontier doesn't want to pay for "grandfathered packages" anymore and they will lie and tell u frontier notified u but they didn't. It's on page 4 of ur bill-that was the notification. Next on my list-dsl service. Frontier states they can provide 15 to 25m service in ur area. Um that's a lie. When I would get calls bout that-I would call another dept to see if the area was capped and most of the time it was. Too much congestion is what they would say. Then I would ask the engineer to check for another central office location to hookup customers and they would always say "we r working on it". They don't give 2 shits about any of u only their dsl sales-that's it. It's like working in a prison with no windows and there r wardens everywhere waiting to whip u back into shape. It's horrible! U wanna know why I got fired-for telling the customer the truth bout their bill and why their dsl is so slow. I got tired of lying-I was raised better than that-everyday I went to hell and back and it's not worth it! One more thing-all u verizon customers who have or had 3 to 7m dsl-I would do a speed test-because I guarantee ur getting 1.5 and ur most likely paying for 3 or 7-even if u call in-the reps r only allowed to go back to 3 months for credit-so if u want more than that-a supervisor will help u with that.

Re: Former employee

it's 2013 (for me) I have had MIGRAINE headaches dealing with Frontiers CSR's one after another the list is LONG.. I FINALLY got of a supervisor & email address & asked for a copy of my original contract.. she said she would email me a copy of it.. NEVER got it! Another Rep gave me a reasonable credit.. & stayed on the phone while my bank transferred money to Frontiers online bill pay system.. It NEVER showed it as being paid.. Fortunately I have documentation for evry Rep I spoke with, their name's, which state they are located in & the conversation we had.. I have reference #'s, confirm#'s for my online billing (THAT THEY HAVE NO RECORD OF RECEIVING) I finally said to hell with it! DISCONNECT ME! I DONT CARE ABOUT THE CANCELLATION FEE!!! FUNNY, I am still getting monthly bills LOL for service I dont have at the price my contract was when I signed up! LMBO! This is June 12 2013 the end of my yearly contract... Got a bill for $400.00 just yesterday Lol Has anyone ever read the fine print in the contract/penalty etc etc? Toward the end, It says: in laymen terms that Frontier would rather settle your account issues than going to court.. REALLY? OTFLMBO I pointed that out to them & got transferred to someone else who said they were looking into it.. OMG! DAM they are good at passing the buck&avoiding the customer! U think they will avoid sending my account to collections? I DONT CARE! I'll pay it off in increments (something FRONTIER said they would do).. a 'deferred payment plan') But later said, sorry you dont qualify for that! Ha Ha Ha ADIOS FRONTIER!! EVERYTHING I have documented would drive someone INSANE! No more headaches though.. YAY ME!!!

Private

@rr.com

Re: Former employee

Yep that sounds like frontier. I would get so many calls bout that too. The process of any credit over 100 goes to a vp who then approves/disapproves-is how the process works. In my personal opinion-I know u r tired of calling back in-but if u have documentation of never signing a contract-they have to waive it. I did it many times for people. Good luck to you! Being fired is a "blessing in disguise"-I'm home with my children and my hubby-very happy.

Re: Former employee

Good for you! I'm glad that you are happy & have a clear conscience.. no, I'm not going to communicate with them any longer.. Iv ben battling Frontier w them for way too long...I took enough of my time to investigate their devious practices..have already talked to a supervisor that gave me a reasonable credit he confirmed that he got my payment from my bank while he stayed on the phone with me, he gave me a confirmation number and his email..Unfortunately my next billing didnt list this credit, neither did the next billing period, plus I got late charges for 3 months..I emailed this supervisor & he never emailed me back.. I had to laugh at the whole thing or continue to have Migraine headaches..

East Wenatchee, WA
A Supervisor in Florida (Ilive In WA State) gave me a reasonable credit to my account & stayed on the line while I cald my bank so I could pay online.. he said it went through asked if I was happy with that credit & gave me his email address.. when the bill came (NO CREDIT) plus late charges for 3 months..I cald & asked any of the rep'sif they could get ahold of him &they said that they emailed him & NO RESPONSE..Icancelled my service..I dont care about the cancellation charges..I talked to every rep in the U.S. and 1 in South America..get this.. I received in the mail a letter saying I am late on my bill.. it wasnt even a Frontier billing statement a letter unsigned..AND even after FRONTIER & I agreed to OPT OUT of paper statements for online billing BECAUSE it would be less costly..IM DONE w/FRONTIER! GOOD RIDDENCE!
jojomojo6969

join:2013-06-13
Albany, NY

to csmith in concho

hello, i just bought a lot in a subdivision in concho and your review of frontier made me ill. the broadband max option they offer is poor too? do you have an opinion of the broadband blue cell tower internet ? are there any improvements expected in the area you may be familiar with?, thank you

Review by davidwi2 See Profile

• Location: Bahama,Durham,NC
  • Telco party Allegiance Telecom
Good "DSL - 4 miles from Remote Terminal"
Bad "Continued support"
Overall "I'm being strong-armed into buying satellite"

Lost my DSL signal after 5 years of satisfactory service. Called tech support. They said they generated a ticket and it would be repaired within 2 business days. After 3 business days, services was not repaired.

I was told that I was out of range of their remote terminal and did not qualify for DSL. This is after receiving it for the last 5 years with 750kbps to 1mbps, mostly 1mbps.

They said I would have to subscribe to their satellite service but it would cost more.

I talked to the technical supervisor and he told me that he could not believe I received DSL so far from the remote (4 miles, according to him).

How can I get it for 5 years and now all of a sudden it is technologically impossible?

Comments:

Review by skidmarks See Profile

• Location: Unityville,Lycoming,PA
Good "They try to fix issues"
Bad "Poor Service for the cost"
Overall "No choice when they are the only name in the game"

Have the 6M down plan. Modem is set to 3.7M so the best that can happen is 3.7. Unfortunately I have never seen speeds out of the 2M down range since I started the service. Was talked into the "free" second connect line (was told it would be bonded). Its not. So I have a dry pair that I attempted to bridge with some equipment that I own with my primary DSL. The speeds are SO poor I could not bridge them to improve my situation. As soon the as sun goes down my 2M speed drops to anywhere from .2 to .5 M down! Ping rates day or night are awful... 200 to 800ms from the first hop out from my house. Frontier is not interested in hearing the word latency or Ping rates. They ignore you when you start to try and discuss these numbers. I have had 20 trouble tickets cleared over a 3 month period... The local Telco guys told me it was a congested area, the frontier customer support said it was not. Finally customer support has my area listed in the congested area (no help with getting the speeds that we pay for, but at least it is a small victory that they admit it to be a congested area now).

The connection reliability is fine... but the speeds are not what I pay for nd most nights I could get out my 56K modem and achieve better speeds!

Guess the bottom line is I live in the sticks, frontier is the only name in the game. In my opinion they are not going to put money into remote locations to improve service, but still bill you at a extremely high rate for the crappy service (speeds). The local Telco guys are great, but obviously they don't write the checks to pay for upgrades...

Comments:

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

Sticks?

I live in a city, but was on the edge of their service area. Could not get anything above 3megs. They wouldn't do anything about it and probably still haven't. Thank goodness for Fiber. Dropped stinkin' Frontier in a heartbeat.

Review by OSIU See Profile

• Location: Medina,Medina,OH
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "?"
Bad "Good luck with support and trying to get someone to fix it if you have a problem."
Overall "Beats satellite"

·Armstrong Zoom ..
Update 5/7/13:

Well, Armstrong Zoom has been pretty solid and no complaints here. More speed for the same money....... Good bye Frontier!

Update 4/17/13:

Finally fixed after a week! Gave me a new Netgear 7500 DSL modem/ gateway. Going to give cable a try and will cancel the weakest link.

Update 4/15/13:

Internet went down Wednesday morning (4/10) around 7 AM (I was using it at the time). Called support and they said they would have it fixed by 5 PM 4/11. Apparently there was an issue in the DSLAM and nothing wrong with my equipment. Morning of 4/11 arrived and they called and left a voicemail indicating they were running a little behind and would have it fixed by 5 PM 4/12. Called support around 5:30 PM 4/12 and they escalated it and it would be fixed 4/13. Called 7:30 PM 4/13 and now they weren't giving me an ETA of fixing. I said okay and promptly scheduled an cable internet hookup on Friday 4/19. Goodbye Frontier. Mismanagement into bankruptcy anyone?

*************************************************************************************This is my review of Frontier DSL after the transition from Verizon. See »Review of Verizon Online DSL by OSIU for my Verizon DSL review.

Speed (3/?) stayed the same and service has been consistent without any outages that I have noticed.

Frontier has cooked up some new packages and prices since the switch from Verizon. I was also notified that my area had been updated with the ADSL2+ technology and they are offering 6M and 12 M plans in my area, which are certainly under consideration as well. I am in the process of evaluating them and making a change. An edit will appear when I finally decide which way to go.

member for 10.7 years, 1680 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

isp10002

join:2012-10-24
·Frontier Communi..
·Dish Network
·Verizon Wireless..

Dsl

Hi i actually live not far from you and have frontier dsl as well. The highest i can get is 3 mbps, also the upload speed is 768k if you dident know. This service has been good for me. Frontier services the medina/Wayne area, No body can give you an estimate of when dsl service will be back up so dont count on the date they give you.

Review by Terroriffic See Profile

• Location: Houlka,Chickasaw,MS
Good "Best option where I live."
Bad "Not nearly the connection I'm paying for."
Overall "Disappointment all around."

I've been getting DSL from Frontier in Houlka, MS for about 3 years now, started as a 1Mbps down/128k Up then a while back they upped it to 2.5 down/256k up and I was really happy with that for a while.(In comparison to the satellite we used to have)
However, For a couple of months now, I've had constant trouble with huge decreases in speed and even frequent disconnects on some days. I've called Support and technicians have come multiple times, still with no improvement.
When everything is okay my ping stays around 105ms, which i feel should be faster anyway, but as of late it's been upwards of 200-300ms with huge amounts of jitter while download speed has been more than halved.
It's absolutely dreadful and the techs and support reps seem to have no idea why it happens :/
Hope to see something resolved soon.

Picture below of my speedtest from just before writing this.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2686244524.png

• Location: Hillsboro,Washington,OR
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Sometimes the tec. rep has nice voice"
Bad "See star ratings"
Overall "Money thrown a way"

Frontier DSL connection in our NE Brogden St neighborhood is like tired old
wet dog in a freezing night. Old dial up modem is sometimes faster then t
heir DSL. Same goes with Frontier customer service. If you enjoy mental torture, just call them.

(review was emailed from domain msn.com)

Comments:

Review by DurhamDanger See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Local Tech Support are Great"
Bad "Oversold DSL leads to speeds LESS THAN Dialup"
Overall "$5 credit off bill still does not help crappy speeds"

·Earthlink Cable ..
I was one of those many people who had Verizon before they sold Durham to Frontier. The sale was years in planning during which time Verizon ran Durham into the ground. On the switch to Frontier my network immediately bottomed out. However the field engineers and local techs worked through the issues and fixed my 3Mbps/768kbps to acceptable speeds hovering around 2.5 Mbps.

Until last week that is...we have been experiencing terribly crappy speeds during the evening hours and just plain crappy speeds during the day. We've even had network disconnections happen now. My last speed tests are now showing horrific speeds of 168kbps down. That is even crappy for dial-up!

When consulting with the technician, she admitted Durham has been over-subscribed in DSL and they don't expect to have it completely fixed until June 2013. Sending me over to customer support, they could only offer me a $5 credit for six months. That's five dollars off unusable service? It's like handing a company money for absolutely nothing.

I was supposed to get a call from the local technical manager to either explain the issue and do something about it or offer up something else. Nope. No call today.

I am having to move to another service (most likely Earthlink cable) to get the Internet back into my house.

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
·MegaPath

Elink

Elink is just resold TWC. You will still have to deal 100% with TWC for everything, install, billing and basically support. And if Elink can't fix the problem on the phone, they will send you a tech. Also Elink does not have access to most D3 plans. So you'll be stuck with what TWC gives them.
DurhamDanger

join:2013-03-13
Durham, NC
·Earthlink Cable ..
·Frontier Communi..

Re: Elink

Oh I pretty much knew Earthy would be riding on TWC cables as TWC and Frontier are the only choices for Durham.

Makes me want to smack our Mayor Bill Bell for getting us into this mess and then I remember it's the city council that has the real power here.

Right now I'm just looking for cheapest connection until this town breaks the law and puts together a municipal line.