Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by William See Profile

• Location: Washougal,Clark,WA
Good "No complaints, except mail service"
Bad "Flaky mail service"
Overall "Fast and reliable"

·Canvas Dreams
02-15-14, been almost 2 years now, quite happy still, though wish mail service would work better. Frontier Yahoo mail is a flake of a service.

As an satellite user, was quite skeptical about Frontier was even really available here, my location is over 10 miles from the nearest town, there is a remote terminal about 2 miles down the road. Had Frontier DSL since 02-23-12 and took about a week for the install, using the Westell 7500 modem/router, all-in-all quite happy with the service.

Started with 3 Mbps down and 768K up, see speeds of ~ 3 Mbps down and ~ 1 Mbps up, don't recall exact date upload speed increased to 1 Mbps from 768. Have yet to contact Frontier for support. not needed yet, been over a year now. Pings generally stay below 50 ms all hours of the day, do spike every now and then above 100 ms, higher pings really don't bother me, coming from satellite.

Comments:

Scott M tech

@50.121.70.x

Frontier services

Hello,
I'm actually a technician with frontiers regular high speed internet help desk. Definitely consider giving frontier a call about the issues you're having, all of our 100 percent US based work force would be happy to assist you in trouble shooting your problem.

Thanks,
Scott M
burnside

join:2012-06-19

Frontier DSL Port Availability

I am building a house in the Washougal area by the Washougal River. I have spoke to a few technicians and see that there are no more available DSL ports. The neighbors I am building by all have DSL with Frontier. Am I doomed never to get a port unless one day someone drops Frontier???

Thanks,
b

John tan

@mycingular.net

Bad

Frontier is bad!! I hate it I'm switching

Mark Mywords

@untd.com

The Frontier dsl Port Unavailability Excuse

Frontier customer service is so consistently inconsistent that it's hard to believe it's not part of a plot. Rumor has it that Frontier is an agent of the liberal agenda working to frustrate and deny hi-speed access to political adversaries/conservatives.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

Re: The Frontier dsl Port Unavailability Excuse

As outlandish as that rumor is, it could be true. Frontier sux in almost every way imaginable.

Review by yolarry See Profile

• Location: Creston,Wirt,WV
Good "Fast. Good Ping. "
Bad "Technical support needs a little improvement"
Overall "Better then Hughesnet"

·HughesNet Satell..
When you live in the rural area you got no choice but to switch from dial up or satellite to DSL. Finally after waiting for so long to get off the train wreck of Hughesnet. This year frontier answer my prayers and installed fiber optic lines. I had trouble with costumer service with techs giving me the run around and does give me a decent progress or ETA unless I talk the engineers from the remote box that is like 500 feet from my home which they don’t see to have no clue either . So 3 months later I talk to Ree GM Social Networking person, and she was very nice and send our order and 2 day air ship the netgear modem/router before they put the signs up on the remote box. Next day different tech calls in and say that she does not see anything listed on her database so I told the person it’s already taking care of, and she was being rude about saying my modem can’t do anything unless I am having account. So I hung up and called the main office, and the guy said it’s listed but I can only get 8mbps but funny thing the engineer tech was testing and getting 18 mbps. So I thought I go ahead and try 8mbps with $20 bucks a month. I got sick of paying $74 to Hughesnet. Not like I can upgrade anytime right? So 10/3/2013 the modem/router finally arrived. Place the filters hooked it up. DSL light blinking. Called the tech and he put me on hold for like 30 mins, and he tells me my neighborhood is set for 7th but he notices my neighbor is having a date for Friday installation so he’s going to put a request to check my end and see whats going on while he’s at neighbors. I know the box got redone in 2007 when a lighting storm struck the NIC beside my house. The line from the booth to the pole and to the house got replace in 2005. So could be an issue with junction haven’t rig up for DSL.. So next day (Friday) tech goes to the neighbor’s house. So I went to visit and ask if he got anything for me, and he said not without order #. So called frontier and to request the work order #. I was in a rush to get it to the tech before he leaves but the lady wanted to talk me into signing up for dish for like 5 mins and I told her we will discuss that later sometime but keeps bragging about it. So the guy hooked me up and told me to reboot my modem/router and should be getting 7mbps. WOOHOO

Benefits I like about this like about my new $20 internet

- I can game. That’s the major flow on hughesnet I couldn’t deal with it

- Unlimited. Now I can video chat with my friends and family over skype

- Netlifx. I’m a huge fan ever since I stay at my brother’s house.

- Weather does not kill my connection unlike hughesnet.

I’m overall happy since this the first time in my life I have DSL. I wouldn’t complain much to frontier but they really need some better techs.

Thanks for taking time to read this review. I just happy to get out of Hughesnet.

Update 11/12/2013: Still running rock solid. some hiccups with a couple of down times but all is good. I went ahead and upgrade to the 12mbps package and everything went fine but still getting crappy upload speed (1 mbps). I download some games from steam with my new package and sometimes it was hitting 15mbps. wow. Also, I been trying to port forward ports for an MW3 dedicated server off steam, but no mater what I tried I can't seem to get it open ports (Nat Strict) I even tried to bridge with my Linksys E3000 and still not letting me.

Update 12/4/2013: still running great. No bad luck! I saw my uptime 20 days and look at the chart and downloaded over 200GB last month. of course I brought a bunch of games on steam and watching netflix in HD on my xbox 360. Took the time and finally do windows update on all my pcs. Ask the neighbor if they have any issues and they say it's running great too!

Total on my phone bill with both internet and landline month $82

Update 9/19/2014: About couple months ago thunderstorm struck my modem and my poor linksys E3000 no longer reads LAN ports expect 1. Lucky I had a extra modem that frontier accidentally sent 2. I have not yet report this to frontier. Also my linksys turn into a wifi repeater only now I notice some days netflix and gaming doesn't play well. I get lag spike. Oh well! anything better then Hughesnet. Might call them next week to see if bundle with Dish Network since I miss tv for ~5 years now. I don't miss the commercials but I do miss my shows.

Comments:

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

Disappointed

Well, been close to 6 weeks since frontier started doing stuff in my area and after all the talk of us getting DSL. I have spoke with tammy(in parkersburg) several times and she's still saying "several weeks to go" but she said by the end of this year, everything will be complete(yeah, sure) I have'nt seen frontier do anything big down at the sub station in atleast 4 weeks now and there is snow on the ground already.

I guess 20 or maybe 40 more years of good old hughesnet. Hope frontier is treating you good atleast.
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password

Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

lucky you i only got DSL no fiber yet

lucky you i only got DSL no fiber yet

Review by spaceace49 See Profile

• Location: Altamont,Effingham,IL
Good "Speed is as advertised during the daytime"
Bad "In the evening from 7pm-12am the speeds drop to around 1.5Mbps down like clockwork"
Overall "I am leaving Frontier ASAP"

The package I ordered was the Business Ultra package. Advertised speed is 15Mbps down and 2Mbps up. Priced at $79 per month. My location is around 1-1.5 miles from the CO so signal strength isn't a problem. I ordered the business package because I work from home and required stable speeds and latency for VOIP connection.

Initial installation took around 2 weeks to complete due to rescheduling of the technician and needing a network interface box installed outside the house. Calling Frontier's support line didn't give any real results as they wouldn't give me a specific date when it would be completed. I was originally told it would be installed within a week.

Modem supplied was the Zyxel P-663HN-51 model.

After the initial installation the speeds seemed fairly stable and the internet rarely goes down. However, within a month I started noticing in the evenings the speeds started declining around 6pm and got progressively worse until around 12am with download speeds dropping to around 1.5Mbps down. The upload speed stayed consistent at around 1.9Mbps up and this never changes. After 12am the download speed jumped back up to 13.5Mbps down which is the normal maximum speed. During the day the speeds were close to normal, but still inconsistent. I placed several calls into Frontier support describing the issue I was experiencing and they dispatched a technician who replaced my modem with a different model (Frontier branded FV2200 model). I had the same problem with this modem as well. The technician suggested it might be "too many people online during the evenings". I put up with this for several more months with most evenings having to deal with the download dropping to 1.5-2Mbps. The lowest I saw was 1Mbps. At these speeds Netflix would not even load. HD viewing is out of the question. After around 10 months of service, I submitted a complaint to the FCC which Frontier responded to within a week by sending out 2 service technicians. I was told my line and connection looked solid with no issues on their end. They ran some speedtests inside and noticed the connection being inconsistent even around 3pm when they were here. They again replaced the modem with the same FV2200 modem and I continued having the problems as before. I was told I shouldn't be experiencing these drops in speed and that nobody else in the area was experiencing this. I received a call from the "supervisor" for the area as a followup and discussed the ongoing issue that was still occurring. I was again told this should not be happening and he would let the technicians know so they'd take a look at it again. I never heard anything back several weeks later so I again filed another complaint with the FCC with an attachment showing my speedtests every hour for one evening from 6pm-12am. I have heard nothing back since then and the problem continues.

I will be leaving Frontier very shortly once I verify my contract has expired and setup connection with Mediacom cable which is the only other option in this area other than wireless cell service.

downloadSpeedtest.pdf 119,177 bytes

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

We don't care

LOL!!!!!

"too many people online during the evenings"

In other words, "too many people online since we over sold our service and our equipment is crap and we don't care".

Re: We don't care

Medicom has some problems to

Review by dragonman300 See Profile

• Location: Anaheim,Orange,CA
Good "Order 6mbps plan now getting 12mbps!"
Bad "DSLAM appear to running at max capacity"
Overall "Internet work fine and I am happy camper "

·Dish Network
Im currently babysitting dogs at my Grandma house in Lake Havasu City for a month. I ordered $30 Broadband Simply MAX 6mbps. The tech installation and Netgear 7750 Gateway is free, Thanks to Frontier. After the technician left, I decided to speedtest my internet connection. Speedtest show 11.30mbps down and 0.90mbps up which is good! Although the ping is higher than I thought. But hey, at least my internet work and now I can get my service on my T-mobile GS4 via Wifi Calling.

My ADSL2+ signal stat and Speedtest

member for 3.5 years, 1135 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by skidmarks See Profile

• Location: Unityville,Lycoming,PA
Good "Reliability"
Bad "Only Name in town, Over sold CO"
Overall "Awful, Almost feel like they are robbing me every month"

I had awful, and I do mean awful, internet speeds. Started out with the second connect line and was trying to balance the two lines at my house with a PIX box and a Symantec firewall. The lines were so bad I could not get them to balance. Problem was both lines sucked so 2 X Suck= Sucking twice as bad! Bought my way out of that contract and went to one line. I did not want to have two separate networks in my house just to get internet. I run a video server in my home and it was a nightmare to get recognized on two different house networks. For a YEAR I called and complained. Every time I called I asked if I was in a congested network. If the area was off the list I would have them put me back on. Never failed. I decided I would go to a business class to see it a fixed IP would get me put on a better port of the hub or if my routing would be different... Nope just as bad. That is where I am at now. How bad do you ask? Between 200 - 400K every night for two years! That's how bad. Day (before the school bus gets through and folks get home from work) 1 to 1.5M.

Now i just gave up for about 6 months, but when i pay them each month i just get more and more p***ed off. I have been monitoring my routes and it appears that i get most of my packet loss away from the CO. Like 4 to 6 Frontier hops away. Today i finally filed a complaint with the FCC!

Comments:
jazneo

buying 2 line dont make interent go faster

buying to line in one house will just make your bandwith twice small because of te dsl signal

Review by afriedma See Profile

• Location: Snohomish,Snohomish,WA
Bad "Very slow speeds, uneven service, poor customer service"
Overall "If there was any other choice, I would take it immediately"

Verizon sold their Washington State phone service to Frontier. Prior to that point I would have stated that it would be hard for me to believe that there could be a worse DSL provider than Verizon; I now stand corrected! We have experienced complete outages for over a week at a time, and DSL speeds vary wildly each day and over long periods of time. For the last several weeks, upload and download speeds have rarely surpassed 350 kbps. At times, speeds have dropped to below 150 kbps. We are 'provisioned' for 1500 kbps download and 750 kbps upload, but those speeds have rarely ever been achieved.

Customer service is also atrocious. Very long on-hold waiting times to get Tech Service, only to finally get a completely unhelpful 'tech' ("restart your modem and computer"). Trying chat or email is no better. For months, they were unwilling to acknowledge that there was even a regional problem, even though all my neighbors have the same issues. Now, they just tell me that they are 'upgrading' their service, and that is the cause of the problems. When asked when the 'upgrade' will be finished, they are unwilling to give even a range of dates.

If I had another option, I would take it in a second, but there does not appear to be one.

Comments:

Review by jazneo See Profile

• Location: Hazel Green,Grant,WI
Good "Get good ping for online game"
Bad "Disconnect in the week Random"
Overall "Only DSL in my Area"

It run ok for a DSL line that 110miles from the DSL server. There some time the connection get Disconnect out Randomly mostly like something happen to the Telephone line. i only get 1.20mb down that enough for games but take forever to update and download new game. I live in valley only connection i can get. If there was any other DSL or Some other type Fiber line i would change over.

It only take one day to get connect get Frontier install

I get good ping for mmorpg games.

Example games i play

The elder scroll online no Combat lag
Dragon nest no lag
Mabinogi lag little
Vindictus lag little

member for 38 days, 58 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by loribrian See Profile

• Location: Alexander,Morgan,IL
Bad "Unbelievably BAD"

Called to get internet and they said I was all set. Week goes by and nothing so called again to find out what was taking so long. Said order must not of went through and had to set it all up again and do credit check again. All set. Another week goes by and still nothing so call for the 3rd time to ask what is going on with our order and when are we going to have internet??? Customer Care apologizes that the first 2 Representatives did not set us up right, sets up the account, says we will have our modem by the 22nd, says he will credit us $25, waive the first mo. bill and any prorated chrgs due to all the problems we have had trying to get our account set up and sends us an email of everything he promised us. Ok FINALLY we are getting somewhere. WRONG.. Calls me 3 days later and says that we cannot get internet service due to it being limited in our town and we're being put back on a waiting list! I said "Your joking, right?" I said, So basically what happened is since our order didn't go through the 1st time which was frontiers mistake, someone else called up to get internet service in our area and got our spot for it while we thought we were all set up and waiting on frontier. He tells me yes that's basically what happened. Very unprofessional and wouldn't recommend them to anyone after this experience.

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Might be in the coverage area.

Looks like you might be in the coverage area for this ISP..

»royell.net/broadband-internet.php

gsuburban

join:2000-02-29
Glendora, CA

Frontier Communications

I read some place that Verizon owns Frontier.

Review by slopoke See Profile

• Location: London,Madison,OH
Good "Always On, Wireless Strong, Mostly Consistant."
Bad "Congestion when the School Buses empty and kiddies online."
Overall "Rural area with DSL. At least we have broadband."

After we changed from Verizon DSL; things went without a hitch. Had a couple bumps when contract renewed, but got that fixed. Our 'road' guys are great, friendly guys who help you get everything up to par. Small town in NoHio on line. We have Nextel Modems. Excellent wireless signal. Good advertised speeds except when the homework starts, till about midnite. Normal. Don't really use Yahoo much but the mail is good. Keeps you posted. Fair on-line support. Better getting help Here at BBR. Good site. We good.

Update: Still good. Been 'on' 166 days without a drop. Speed has improved with local updates to equipment. Road guys are great. Cruise by to see if things are good. Could get cable (TW) but they want thousands to run cable back to farm. For an extrra 3Ms don't think so. People have problems but Frontier has been good here.

Comments:
slopoke

join:2012-05-20
London, OH
·Frontier Communi..

something falling apart.

Been having a lot of trouble with drops and or no connection to web sites. guy came out with a clipboard and tried to explain. I think he said we're having server trouble on outbound. Then I see him in town and he asked if any better. Told him no. Next bill was $6 more "because of our improvements." Not. Been two months and still dropping, if not worse. Somethings up cause we had no down time or problems for a couple years. He even said something about fiber but didn't understand what he meant. ( I've been into computers since punch cards and I don't get it.) Just saying, if you are experiencing any of this respond. Center Ohio
Just Me and My Acer. And a bag of chips.

Review by isp10002 See Profile

Good "Consistent fast speeds"
Bad "Dissconects, Slow"
Overall "Decent service, frontier needs to work on getting faster speeds"

·Dish Network
·Verizon Wireless..
I got this installed a few days ago, we got the highest package we could get 3 Mbps down 768k up, speeds are very consistent I'm getting 2.5 mbps down and . 5 up all the time, fast speeds, but I wish I could get something a little faster but 3 Mbps Is fine I play Xbox live and rarely have lag, but I wish I could get faster speeds buy 3 Mbps will have to do.

Update 1 week later
So far frontier is doing great, but I'm getting 2.5 mbps down and . 6 upload out of the 3mbps down and 768k up. I play Minecraft and Xbox and have no lag, I plan on staying with frontier for a long time in till cable comes to my area. I can stream 720p videos with no buffering and 1080p with little buffering.

Update 1 Month later:
Still rock solid service, but i did notice something yestorday, It was raining heavily yestorday and i notice my xbox was lagging a bit, i do a speed test download and upload are fine, but ping is 105+ ms when is is usally below 75, hopefully it doesnt do this all the time or i will make frontier do something about it. I hope its not because of a waterlogged dsl line or bridge tap. But anyways still great service so far, The only thing that makes me mad is when a family member is streaming netflix when im playing xbox, then one of us has to get off. I hope to see a upgrade in another year or 2, Maybe they will get bonded out here or move us to a closer hub. But everything is great, Hopefully it stays like that.

May 18th:
Still rock soild service.

June 18th:
Nothing has changed.

July 25th:
Still great service!
EDIT August 4th: Recently we have been having problems with dead spots in some parts of the house. The net gear modem/router is downstairs in the basement so we got a cat 5 cable and ran it from the netgear 7550 in the basement to a new netgear n600 dual band router on the middle floor. Now we don't have dead spots in the house and everything works great.

November 24:
Still no problums

January 18th: Something really unexpected happened. Armstrong started putting up guide lines for FIOS on our poles. They said it will be up and running in 6 months or so. So when they get their stuff up i will switch to armstrong. But still i have nothing bad to say about frontier. All though in decemeber we had the service go down 2 times for about 2 hours for a unknown reason but was fixed.

2/24/2014:
Well this was unexpected. Well we were having problums with out internet latley and so have our neighbors. The internet would go down at least 3 times a day ranging from a few hours to all day. Eventionally we got a tech out and he worked on a few boxes down the road and did a complete modem reset. First day every thing was good, than we started having problums again but it wasent as bad before he came out. It now goes out maybe 1 time a day and a modem reboot usally fixes it. All i have to say is try to stay away from this company only go unless you really have to they arent the most reliable company but i am still some what satified.

4/5/2014: All problems seemed to have cleared up im guessing it may have been due to very cold weather effecting our old lines. Everything seems to be back to normal now

8/14/2014: Finally, after 1 year after have having Frontier, Armstrong Fiber finally got to our area, Which is getting installed tomorrow with a 15/2 package. We had a 1 year contract with Frontier and they renewed it AGAIN for some reason. We managed to clear the auto renew and are canceling our service tomorrow for Armstrong FIOS. All i have to say is only go with Frontier if you have no other options, Personally i had no problem with relablity with them but the problem is their service is slow (2mbps).

Comments:

Disappointed

Terrible service!

My father who is 75 just moved into a retirement community where Frontier is the only provider of internet/tv/phone service. He has waited over two weeks for a technician to come turn on his service only to get an automated call at the end of today to say they aren't going to make the appointment. I tried to call the number only to get a rude customer service rep to say he'll have to reshedule. Frontier has represented themselves very poorly. They missedare their appointment and the customer service rep stated their appointment times are a ot committments they just try to make the times. I have never experience such poor service. If we had a choice we would not use Frontier. Terrible!! Awful!!

Hate Frontie

@comcastbusiness.net
When we first switched to frontier, it took them 2 weeks to get our service turned on. The kept coming out and "flipping a switch" and nothing worked. After 4 visits we finally got them to come in a fix the outlets to get our service to work. When we moved we explained what had occurred during the initial install and asked that a technician come in and make sure everything was ok before they left. They refused and told us it wouldn't be necessary, so after 3 more "switch flipping" visits they told us they would come in a do the outlets again. But the technician took it upon himself to decide it wasn't unnecessary. And guess what? We still don't have internet. It has ow been 3 weeks and have another schedule today to get our service activated. What really makes me mad is that frontier is our ONLY choice for internet otherwise I would have been rid of those worthless idiots. We spoke two TWO supervisors now and were promised someone would come in. If they do not I will be in there office in Bloomington and making a scene. I am starting to wonder if they recruit their staff at the special Olympics.

isp10002

join:2012-10-24

Re: Worst service ever

What do you mean by "flipping a switch" where? on the nid?

hate frontie

@comcastbusiness.net

Re: Worst service ever

I don't know. That's what they said on the . That they just had to flip a switch and didn't have to ever come in the apartment.

Isp100022

@50.43.177.x

Re: Worst service ever

I feel so lucky to have good service, i can stream hd videos without buffering,the choices around here are century link or frontier and the highest they can provide is 3 mbps.

tech

@comcast.net
there is no switch to flip. the rep has to go to the central office and loop the line through the dsl equipment or if it is a remote changed the port to one with dsl or dial tone and dsl on it. there is no switch to flip
Jeep80909

join:2013-05-27
Lakeville, MN

Re: Worst service ever

That's not true...there's is a switch.

I signed up for DSL Lite and had it for 4 years then switched to DSL Max over the phone Frontier had to send me a new modem. Once installed I ran a speedtest and it was the same old speed, lite version, I called they sent a "tech" out. The tech called the office, they flipped the switch and it worked.

Now 2 months later, it's back to 0.77 Mbps!

I called again, this time she tried to sell me an "Upgrade" for $10 a month...Frontier Communication are lairs

I'm going to check out a hotspot.

tech

@comcast.net
did you have a self install or did you pay for a full install? self install means it is good to the nid on the side of the house, full install is good to the jack... so it matters what you got.

isp10002

join:2012-10-24

Re: Worst service ever

Ha i dont get how peoples wiring is so bad. My wiring was installed by gte 12+ years ago or more probally.