Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by silentwarior See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Monroe,NY
Good "Secure Dedicated Circuit DSL. Most users 6.0 MB dl/ .5 ul."
Bad "Recent Network Congestion significantly impacting BW."
Overall "As network upgrade is in progress, will reevaluate in 1 - 2 months."

Frontier in Rochester NY is in the process of upgrading. Expected performance increase. Had a significant influx of users causing network congestion. Bandwidth down from 6.0 MB to .5 - 1.5 MB. Hardware updates are expected to correct speed limitations due to network loads. Have been a customer for many years. This is the first major issue I have experienced. Began around Christmas 2013. Local customer service and managers have been very responsive. (I am more patient than most as I work in IT, so I understand technical issues more than most.)

My speed tested in this post is based on how it was for some time. Currently, the speed is not up to par.

Help Desk is not local (it is in US, but can be taken by Texas, or other locations, not necessarily your own. This is the same with Time Warner as well, not unique to Frontier.)

Frontier Communications is also a Telco and bundles phone, DSL and Dishnet into one package. Cost includes HBO and top 250 and HD DVR, metered phone line, DSL Max and 2 year commitment and includes all discounts. Lower cost if less channels selected, of course.

member for 2.6 years, 0 visits, last login: a few hours ago
lodged a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by MrBungle87 See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "VDSL is great...at first. "
Bad "ADSL is slow, VDSL limited avail. based on distance, constant backhaul issues"
Overall "They're an ISP. Not a good or reliable one. But, technically, they offer Internet and phone."

UPDATE, 4/21/14: peak-hour congestion persists. I've spent the last two months trying to get switched from VDSL to bonded ADSL, but Frontier keeps kicking the can down the road. The tech who came out last week didn't finish the job and promised to come back later that same day, but never did. Incompetence, lies, whatever the case may be, Frontier's showing their true colors.

UPDATE, 2/12/14: despite assurances from our technical supervisor, we're still dealing with congestion. Peak hour download is usually around 4Mbit with higher than usual pings (>100ms). Traceroutes sometimes time out, or run over 2000ms to google.com. If you're considering Frontier and you have a choice (cable, fiber, whatever), TAKE THE OTHER CHOICE. Don't give Frontier your money. I've already switched my parents to Time Warner. Just a matter of closing accounts now.

UPDATE 1/26/14: backhaul problems popping up again. Download speeds plummet to between 0.8Mbit and 6Mbit during the afternoon/evening, sometimes lasting until 11 or midnight. Called my assigned regional Frontier manager about this several days ago and haven't heard back. Seems Frontier has now possibly oversold their VDSL product, too. Same old problem that we faced on our original 7Mbit (originally 3Mbit) plan. Not sure why Frontier has such massive and widespread problems with their backhaul, but they do. After discovering my upload will only ever attain a 1Mbit sync, this is just another slap in the face. Will likely be moving to Time Warner soon, not out of desire but necessity.

UPDATE, 8/9/2013: so far, so good. Haven't encountered any real issues since being switched over to VDSL in January. Still getting consistent 25Mbit (usually 30) downloads. Ping times could be better (around 60-70ms now), but this is the nature of interleaving, I suppose. My only real complaint is upload speed, or lack thereof. At the time of installation, uploads averaged 1.6Mbit (while being advertised at 3Mbit), and have since decreased to an average of 1Mbit. I'm not sure why uploads are low, but I'll have to talk to our local Frontier manager again to figure it out.

UPDATE, 1/24/2013: VDSL (25/2) is installed using the Actiontec V1000W modem/router, and speeds are great. 30Mbit down, typically, and roughly 1.3Mbit upload, which is less than I expected, but still double what I was seeing on ADSL. The only problem is ping times are higher now, at about 80ms (probably due to interleaving instead of fastpath). Will update if and when anything changes.

member for 1.2 years, 319 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Frontierrep

@144.70.2.x

In regards to VDSL availability

To be sure, VDSL availability is typically when available when you are withing 8000 feet from the central office to be capable for speeds up to 25mbps, we have been doing a lot of work since verizon was around, keeping in mind it has only been 2 1/2 years since we took over and started improving upon Verizons Antiquated networks. I apologize if you didn't get good answers from here in the Washington Call Center, I am extremely proficient in the systems and can definitely assist in this as well. If the issue has been addressed and investigated, then you should be good to go (at the very least being able to get bonded DSL for the 12/2mbps speed), I've checked the terminals in Durham/Raleigh area and do see that the Central office is equipped for VDSL (up to 40mbps for Business, 25mbps for Residential). We have a number of people available for VDSL but like with all internet providers (except wireless) it is distance related.
MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

Re: In regards to VDSL availability

Thanks for your reply. The technician who installed VDSL (25/2) told me he wasn't sure whether VDSL or bonded ADSL2 would be used since we were the second house in the area they've installed VDSL. But, it seems to be working well. I also have to give credit to the technical supervisor for our area who called me and gave me information about our true total loop distance (which was longer than I thought due to a large cable loop on another street), but they either removed or replaced a tap and loop length decreased.

I do have one question for you, though: I'm seeing a lot of errors (presumably) under "30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave" and some under "30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave". Fastpath is disabled so I guess there must be a distance consideration in still using interleaved mode on VDSL2? Either way, my download speeds are great, so I don't know how accurate the SNR and attenuation stats the modem is reporting are. I've attached a screenshot for your perusal. Hopefully, you can make some sense of the FEC numbers.

I'm also seeing higher pings than before (75-100ms), which I'm guessing is due to interleaving. Is there a way to test whether fastpath would cut ping times?
jakej1978

join:2013-01-31
Camano Island, WA

jakej1978

join:2013-01-31
Camano Island, WA
I have Frontier DSL on Camano Island, WA zipcode 98282. Do you know if anything can be done to improve speeds? I am on the south end of the island, so I imagine I am far from the CO, and it looks as though we're routed through the Everett, WA pop. Do you know if VDSL is available, and can I bond two DSL channels together if I add a second phone line with Frontier? You can write me back at jakej1978 AT g mail dot com

Thank you.
ncted

join:2010-10-25
Raleigh, NC

Just switched to Frontier from TWC

Not sure where you are in Durham. I live in Brightleaf at the Park. I got the 24/2 service which appears to be bonded ADSL. My speedtest.net ping times are about 25ms, where I was getting about 15ms from TWC, but 25ms is still better than most people I know. So far, I haven't had any issues aside from an overnight outage during which TWC was also offline. I can say that I have observed no slowdowns during primetime. Streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime is much improved compared to TWC with respect to buffering and bitrates. Hopefully this will continue to be the case.

Review by cool88 See Profile

Good "always on."
Bad "takes time to get the full speed."
Overall "Its good but if fiber or cable internet is there look at there offers."

For a rural area the internet is great they do a good job and its always on. I do see it go from 6mbps to 5.5mbps at the peak hours but that has fade the last 2 weeks to only slow to 5.8mbps during peak hours so they are get upgrades here every few months and I seen that the 12/2 and 24/3 is where I can get it but the 6mbps/768kbps is good and that's just what I need. If its frontier dsl or wireless or satellite internet go with frontier.

here's my everyday speed:
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3447543277
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3447634580

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

Review by PacketHauler See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Dakota,MN
Good "Extremely reliable connection and latency"
Bad "Customer service/tech support hard to deal with"
Overall "If you can get 12Mbs service in your area, not a bad way to go"

·Charter
I signed up to get triple play with Frontier over a year ago. I did this because I was already an existing Dish Network customer and they provided additional discounts by bundling. I also received a $450 Apple gift card by signing up for a 2-year contract. I was initially told I was capable of their Broadband Ultra product which is supposedly up to 12Mb down and 1Mb up. Package price was $30 for unlimited digital phone, $34 for the DSL, and $99 for the TV bundle that I already had with Dish. The install happened within a couple of days. After a day or so, I noticed some noise on my phone line, and fluctuating speeds. A tech came back out on a Sunday, which surprised me. He changed the F2 pairs, put a whole house DSL filter in, and still had noise. Then he flipped me to a different card on the DSLAM, and that cleared up the noise and the speed issues. The modem they provided me was a Netgear 7550. Seems to be solid enough as a modem, I didn't really use the router/WiFi functionality as I put it in bridge mode and used my own.

After the tech left, I found I was only provisioned for 8Mbps and 768K up. Looking at my SNR and attenuation levels, there is no reason why I wouldn't be capable of higher speeds. I call back into Frontier and ask why I'm not getting 12Mb, they said I only qualify for 3Mb service. I told them I know I'm being fed from a DSLAM that is 4 blocks from my house, the tech even showed me where it was. Frontier said they show me as being fed from a CO that's 2 miles away. I said that's not right. Basically I was told that if I make a change to my account, they will bump me down to 3Mb, even though the DSLAM could provide me 12Mb service no problem. I called in numerous times to see if things have changed, they haven't. They are telling me it's a documentation problem, to which I said why can't you send someone out to document it correctly? No answer. At this point I hung up and would see if I could get back to Charter for a reasonable price, and I was eligible for 30Mb/4Mb service at $30/month. I went back to Frontier and asked what the ETF was for opting out of Internet only, leaving phone and TV? They said $100. I ordered Charter, and had it installed. When I called back to cancel just the DSL portion, they then told me it was $400 for ETF because of the Apple gift card promo. Fantastic. At this point I just opted to keep both until my contract ran out as I like the speed increase from Charter.

With all that being said, the DSL service has been reliable, latency is rock solid, and Netflix always worked during prime-time viewing hours. If their provisioning system wasn't so finicky, I'd probably hang around with them. If they ever roll out VDSL in my area, I'll probably go back because of the better latency of DSL and no bandwidth caps.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

Review by bandrp See Profile

• Location: Bluefield,Mercer,WV
Good "fast service, courteous, and great knowledge"
Bad "goes out sometimes, but which isp doesn't?"
Overall "very good service and support"

I have the fastest dsl available to me. 25mb down, and 1.5 up.
Have had very good results with frontier and will stay with them.
I am not a new member of DSLreports.
I was very sick and was offline for over a year and didn't log on so
I opened a new accout.

Comments:

Kyle

@spcsdns.net

Horrible

Internet goes out consistently and although the tech support is friendly they schedule a tech to come out and reschedule 2-3 times! Been without internet for three days now.

Review by isp10002 See Profile

• Location: Burbank,Wayne,OH
Good "Consistent fast speeds"
Bad "Dissconects, Not the fastest speeds."
Overall "Decent service, frontier needs to work on getting faster speeds"

·Dish Network
·Verizon Wireless..
I got this installed a few days ago, we got the highest package we could get 3 Mbps down 768k up, speeds are very consistent I'm getting 2.5 mbps down and . 5 up all the time, fast speeds, but I wish I could get something a little faster but 3 Mbps Is fine I play Xbox live and rarely have lag, but I wish I could get faster speeds buy 3 Mbps will have to do.

Update 1 week later
So far frontier is doing great, but I'm getting 2.5 mbps down and . 6 upload out of the 3mbps down and 768k up. I play Minecraft and Xbox and have no lag, I plan on staying with frontier for a long time in till cable comes to my area. I can stream 720p videos with no buffering and 1080p with little buffering.

Update 1 Month later:
Still rock solid service, but i did notice something yestorday, It was raining heavily yestorday and i notice my xbox was lagging a bit, i do a speed test download and upload are fine, but ping is 105+ ms when is is usally below 75, hopefully it doesnt do this all the time or i will make frontier do something about it. I hope its not because of a waterlogged dsl line or bridge tap. But anyways still great service so far, The only thing that makes me mad is when a family member is streaming netflix when im playing xbox, then one of us has to get off. I hope to see a upgrade in another year or 2, Maybe they will get bonded out here or move us to a closer hub. But everything is great, Hopefully it stays like that.

May 18th:
Still rock soild service.

June 18th:
Nothing has changed.

July 25th:
Still great service!
EDIT August 4th: Recently we have been having problems with dead spots in some parts of the house. The net gear modem/router is downstairs in the basement so we got a cat 5 cable and ran it from the netgear 7550 in the basement to a new netgear n600 dual band router on the middle floor. Now we don't have dead spots in the house and everything works great.

November 24:
Still no problums

January 18th: Something really unexpected happened. Armstrong started putting up guide lines for FIOS on our poles. They said it will be up and running in 6 months or so. So when they get their stuff up i will switch to armstrong. But still i have nothing bad to say about frontier. All though in decemeber we had the service go down 2 times for about 2 hours for a unknown reason but was fixed.

2/24/2014:
Well this was unexpected. Well we were having problums with out internet latley and so have our neighbors. The internet would go down at least 3 times a day ranging from a few hours to all day. Eventionally we got a tech out and he worked on a few boxes down the road and did a complete modem reset. First day every thing was good, than we started having problums again but it wasent as bad before he came out. It now goes out maybe 1 time a day and a modem reboot usally fixes it. All i have to say is try to stay away from this company only go unless you really have to they arent the most reliable company but i am still some what satified.

4/5/2014: All problems seemed to have cleared up im guessing it may have been due to very cold weather effecting our old lines. Everything seems to be back to normal now

Comments:

Disappointed

@mycingular.net

Terrible service!

My father who is 75 just moved into a retirement community where Frontier is the only provider of internet/tv/phone service. He has waited over two weeks for a technician to come turn on his service only to get an automated call at the end of today to say they aren't going to make the appointment. I tried to call the number only to get a rude customer service rep to say he'll have to reshedule. Frontier has represented themselves very poorly. They missedare their appointment and the customer service rep stated their appointment times are a ot committments they just try to make the times. I have never experience such poor service. If we had a choice we would not use Frontier. Terrible!! Awful!!

Disappointed

@mycingular.net

Hate Frontie

@comcastbusiness.net
When we first switched to frontier, it took them 2 weeks to get our service turned on. The kept coming out and "flipping a switch" and nothing worked. After 4 visits we finally got them to come in a fix the outlets to get our service to work. When we moved we explained what had occurred during the initial install and asked that a technician come in and make sure everything was ok before they left. They refused and told us it wouldn't be necessary, so after 3 more "switch flipping" visits they told us they would come in a do the outlets again. But the technician took it upon himself to decide it wasn't unnecessary. And guess what? We still don't have internet. It has ow been 3 weeks and have another schedule today to get our service activated. What really makes me mad is that frontier is our ONLY choice for internet otherwise I would have been rid of those worthless idiots. We spoke two TWO supervisors now and were promised someone would come in. If they do not I will be in there office in Bloomington and making a scene. I am starting to wonder if they recruit their staff at the special Olympics.

isp10002

join:2012-10-24

Re: Worst service ever

What do you mean by "flipping a switch" where? on the nid?

hate frontie

@comcastbusiness.net

Re: Worst service ever

I don't know. That's what they said on the . That they just had to flip a switch and didn't have to ever come in the apartment.

Isp100022

@50.43.177.x

Re: Worst service ever

I feel so lucky to have good service, i can stream hd videos without buffering,the choices around here are century link or frontier and the highest they can provide is 3 mbps.

tech

@comcast.net
there is no switch to flip. the rep has to go to the central office and loop the line through the dsl equipment or if it is a remote changed the port to one with dsl or dial tone and dsl on it. there is no switch to flip
Jeep80909

join:2013-05-27
Lakeville, MN

Re: Worst service ever

That's not true...there's is a switch.

I signed up for DSL Lite and had it for 4 years then switched to DSL Max over the phone Frontier had to send me a new modem. Once installed I ran a speedtest and it was the same old speed, lite version, I called they sent a "tech" out. The tech called the office, they flipped the switch and it worked.

Now 2 months later, it's back to 0.77 Mbps!

I called again, this time she tried to sell me an "Upgrade" for $10 a month...Frontier Communication are lairs

I'm going to check out a hotspot.

tech

@comcast.net
did you have a self install or did you pay for a full install? self install means it is good to the nid on the side of the house, full install is good to the jack... so it matters what you got.

isp10002

join:2012-10-24

Re: Worst service ever

Ha i dont get how peoples wiring is so bad. My wiring was installed by gte 12+ years ago or more probally.

Review by mike8675309 See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Dakota,MN
Good "Tends to be reliable if not low performance for the cost."
Bad "Expensive for the speeds available. When there are problems, not very helpful"
Overall "Cable internet likely a better value if you can get it."

·Charter
I have Frontier's High Speed Inet 6M/384K service and for 99% of the time I don't even fret about it. Sure, I'm not thrilled about the terrible upload speed, nor the changeable download speeds. But overall, I tended to prefer Frontier since my experience with customer service has usually been very good, and my cable experience really bad.

Outages are rare, but I recently had an outage that causes me to now look at alternatives to Frontier. The service went down, out of the blue at 4:30pm. Over the next 4 hours I spoke to 3 different people at Frontier. The first basically said yes, it looks like an issue. Don't worry I'll escalate it and someone should be taking a look at the problem soon. After that I spoke to some neighbors with DSL. Yep, theirs is down too. 3.5 hours later I call to see whats up. This guy tells me someone will be out at 5pm tomorrow to look at the problem. O.k.. so now starts a long conversation, more trouble shooting, and eventually talking to a supervisor that basically says to me, regardless of what you pay for the service, we're not going to do anything about it until tomorrow.

I can get that kind of poor service from the cable company and at a lower cost. Maybe it's time for me to cut telephone all together, use my cell phone, and get cable for internet.

Update on 3/20/2014. I moved 2 years ago and in the transaction with Frontier I got stuck with no phone service and having to change phone numbers even though before the move I was given no notification of that need. Thus I could wait 3 days to get my phone service at the new home, or the cable company could get me phone service in 2 hours. I picked the cable company. No longer with Frontier and don't even get telphone from the cable company anymore. I use cable internet and voip for telephone.

Comments:

Review by muffy1986 See Profile

• Location: Bruceton Mills,Preston,WV
Good "nothing"
Bad "everything"
Overall "avoid at all costs"

I ordered the basic DSL package with speeds up to 7 MBPS. That "up to" is a bad bad thing, because the highest I have ever received was 3.x mbps, and that was prior to the Verizon buyout. When the internet is functioning, which isn't all that often, it's usually at 1 mbps or lower. Recently, throughout the day, the connection is down to 0.05 mbps, when we're lucky enough to have service. The service is down more than it's up, and they appear to be throttling many sites, like YouTube, Netflix, and Facebook. Unfortunately, this is the only company that will provide non-dialup internet service in this area due to the crazy oligopolies that exist, so I can't really get any other service.

The initial setup was surprisingly easy. I used to have Frontier service at my house and still had a router from them from my previous venture with them, so we were able to use that to have me online within about 6 hours of calling to have service set up. Service was wonderful for the first week, plugging along at speeds that honestly surprised me. It was only about 3.5 mbps, which was only half of their advertised 7 mbps, but with the "up to" they had thrown in the advertising, I wasn't going to complain. The only complaint I have about setup is that their website said that we could get business-class internet, but when we called to have it set up, we were told we could not. This wouldn't be an issue, except I do business that requires me to have a static IP. I've thankfully found ways around this for now, but we'll see how long that lasts.

Speeds were fairly consistent that first week, then service started to become patchy, and, at times, non-existant. We'd call customer service, they'd have us go through the process of resetting the router, running speed tests, etc., to no avail. Got really frustrating when we told them up front it was a neighborhood-wide outage. We'd even have a couple of the neighbors on the line for conference calls all saying here's the account numbers, none of us have service, please fix it. They didn't care.

Customer service phone calls to Frontier are dreaded at my house because the reps are almost always very snotty, disrespectful, not knowledgeable about anything to do with internet (they're obviously following scripts and have no clue how to think outside the box), and unhappy. There have been a few nice, upbeat, knowledgeable people, but they are few and far between. I can't complain about the techs who actually come out to fix line issues and whatnot in person, either. They're always friendly. But I dread calling the call center. Since we only have DSL and not phone service through them, they get uppity when we tell them that we don't know our phone number. Sorry but I'm not paying for extra services when you can't even begin to maintain the only one I have. They treat me like I'm stupid for not knowing the phone number, but technically, the only phone numbers I have are cell phone numbers, which wouldn't help them at all since they're in no way tied to the DSL account, other than as contact numbers.

In north-central West Virginia, Frontier apparently received a grant to alleviate bottlenecking. That was a couple of months ago, and the service is less reliable now than it was then. We've been told that our internet connection isn't functioning properly due to any number of things: a micro-tear in the fiber that is only affected during cold weather, oops that micro-tear affects the connection all the time, the internet halfways across the state is down due to a known issue (which they won't tell us what said issue is) and is causing issues in your area, the internet halfways across the country is down due to known issues and is causing issues in your area, there's static on your line, etc. They have literally used every excuse in the book instead of admitting that they're the ones at fault.

Comments:
ZSwiftmend

join:2013-05-05
Morgantown, WV

Frontier is bad!!!

I agree! I also live in a rural area outside of Morgantown, and have the same issues and concerns. They have never provided the service they promised, but they have always taken our money. Never once have they reduced my bill because of outages (which happen all the time). In my opinion, they dont care about thier customers. Our local service technicians worked like crazy to make it the best they can, but they cannot fix the infrastructure. Frontier has to provide the resources to upgrade the infrastructure in our areas....which they don't appear to be willing to do. You can find the article on DSLR about WV having to give back a couple million dollars because they did not do what was required to set up their contracts for updating the infrastructure in rural areas. All of it is unacceptable.

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
·HughesNet Satell..

Re: Frontier is bad!!!

Everyones experience is different, depends on where you live. I know of someone now that hates cable and loves DSL much better. I know of someone who loves satellite connection and hates DSL and cable/Fios. So it just depends on where you live and what type of user you are.

Our state made a big mistake on buying all that fibre, indeed but we truely needed it cause some of us were on very expensive connection and in need of change bad but in the end we got better deal with better/reliable connection and some of us didn't improve all that much. If your in a very rural area, chances are your never gonna get good deals or very good connection at all, just crap while most of everyone else using that same service are enjoying it.

said by muffy1986:

the fiber that is only affected during cold weather

There is no doubt with this. The fibre should've been buried to help keep it from getting effected by the cold. I spoke face-to-face with a technician what it was and it indeed was the fibre getting effected, he didn't know how is what he also said.

said by muffy1986:

Recently, throughout the day, the connection is down to 0.05 mbps

How far are you behind a terminal? The main reason why I get good service from mine is because i am just 200 feet behind one and we're the first ones so we get the ultra for that reason.
I hope your reading this papap. You were as kind, sweet and easy going person I ever met.
You no longer have to suffer from all the pain you had when down here on earth.
I love you.

R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise 8/9/45-11/21/13

phoneman1

@50.43.129.x

Re: Frontier is bad!!!

Here the bottom line, frontier has grossly over sold there available band width, they will continually tell you they are upgrading there equipment in your area. this will not happen, I have heard this story for 18 months now, my biggest fear came true just after xmas. all the new xboxes, smart tv, hand held, lap tops, you know xmas gifts ate up what was left of the available band width.. Frontier claims know responsibility..they are not governed by the puco, so they don't give a shit. bottom line your screwed.. fight for rate reductions thats all they'll do..

Michelle101

@50.126.19.x

Internet

Absolutely terrible. Want to watch any type of video? Forget it. A 30 minute show will take up to 2 1/2 hrs to watch. You can't leave it to load and come back because it will be in the exact same. Games are impossible to play.
The phone and internet are constantly blacking out for DAYS at a time. If you get hold of repairs, it is never Frontiers fault. One time they blamed AT&T. Another time it was due to a lightning strike. Even though there had not been a storm for several month prior to the blackout.
Save your money, go else where rather then with Frontier.

Review by ncted See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Fast, connection for a reasonable price. No caps. Netflix open connect CDN. CSRs and techs are very nice and friendly."
Bad "Installation happened a day late even though I purposely gave them plenty of lead time. 2 long outages in a week."
Overall "Nice folks, intermittent service."

I was on TWC Turbo (20/2), and I was unhappy with Netflix streaming performance and first byte time on websites and the recent price increases. Despite speedtest.net ping times of >20ms, it was laggy. I read that Frontier had joined the Netflix Open connect CDN: »signup.netflix.com/openconnect, and the price and speeds offered were good, so I decided to give it a try. I ordered Simply Broadband Max (24/2) for $55/month, no contract, free installation, and 2 year price guarantee.

Installation was a annoying because they didn't show up in the window they specified, and didn't call to tell me they weren't going to be able to make the appointment. I got a call over an hour later letting me know they would try again the next day. When I called to find out why, I was told they were busy fixing service for many people affected by adverse weather. While that may be true, they clearly knew they would not make my appointment well ahead of time, and they could have let me know sooner.

I received an ActionTec FV2200 modem. It has a full set of router features. I disabled wireless, and may try to put it into bridge mode, if I can determine how to make my Airport Extreme work with PPOE on a channel bonded connection.

Speedtest.net ping times are about 10ms longer than TWC, but first byte times are actually about 1/2 second lower than I observed with TWC. Netflix hasn't re-buffered yet, and it seems solidly at the highest PQ so far. I did experience an Internet outage (but not DSL, so must have been a backhaul issue) the first night I had the new service from about 12:30-2:00 AM, but TWC was down at the same time, so I would've been impacted either way. Since then, it has been rock solid. Hopefully that continues.

At the end of the day, I am happy I switched, and I hope this will be a reliable service for a long time to come.

UPDATE 3/5/2014:

I am posting this from my TWC connection I hadn't cancelled yet. Frontier has been down for hours and Tech Support has no idea why. This is the second time in a week. Not happy at the moment.

UPDATE 3/6/2014:

Due to connection reliability issues, I have cancelled my service. The CSR was extremely nice about it, and offered to lower my bill to make up for the inconvenience of the outage. If I didn't need this for work, I might consider it.

member for 3.4 years, 412 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Lyle jeffrey

@50.36.70.x

extremely dissatfied

I am writing this to let everyone know just how we have been treated with this company! my wife was called over a year ago with a offer to bundle our services so we could save about $30.00 a month . she agreed and they bundled our service lo and behold our monthly bill did not go down but went up by over $30.00. after numerous calls to frontier (getting some one different each time) we got nothing but a run around. At this point we ask to cancel our services and was told there would be a large charge to do so. mind you we have been with this company for ever. this was a year ago just this week my wife called to cancel our service and they say the contract was renewed in October. we had no idea how this was done they now say there is a $100.00 for early cancellation fee. this company is like a bad omen once your in you cant get out with out paying threw to nose. so be ware people you should think twice before doing business with these rip offs. we are on a fixed income so every little bit helps!

Review by Luka1 See Profile

• Location: Index,Snohomish,WA
Good "Good, reliable service."
Bad "Cost."

Ok, I've been on Frontier DSL for about two years now.

I love it.

There have been problems, but I have never dealt with a company of any sort that never had any problems.

The people at Frontier are quick to try to solve any problems. And the field techs are top notch!