Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by klipko See Profile

• Location: Portland,Washington,OR
Good "Service reliability, consistant speed (in my area), (somewhat) price"
Bad "Symmetrical plans are gone, a little cheaper than Comcast."
Overall "Sticking with Frontier. Comcast doesn't offer anything better."

..:: Aug-2010 ::..

158.00...give or take a few cents for long / short months. That includes:

* home phone
* internet (35 Mbit / 35 Mbit)
* TV
- MR-DVR (multi-room HD DVR box)
- HD-box
* all taxes

Been happy with the service even through the changeover to Frontier from Verizon. Fact I moved the service twice during the transition and billing charges were correct and service wasn't interrupted. Not bad.

Only down fall was the three (yes "3") Frontier contractors came to install service at my new house within 15 minutes. One for each bundled service according to their work orders. They worked it out, two stayed while the third went to his next install.

They used existing coax since the house had FiOS service before so the whole install took about 1 hour. They made sure that all channels, multi-room DVR, internet and phone was all functional before leaving.

Regarding Frontier shutting down TV service...they haven't fully said that it's going to happen but anybody can read between the lines and see the current actions the company has taken as a sign. I plan on keeping the service till it ends. After that, not sure if going OTA w/ Tivo or sign up with satellite.

Install took place in Aug 2010...just now getting around to write about it.

Good: 35 Mbit symmetrical Internet connection, 100+ HD channels, PQ
Bad: bad install coordination between Frontier and sub-contractors used
Bottom line: better value than the local cable operator

..:: 16-Feb-2015 ::..

Well Frontier never did shutdown FiOS TV service but some components did stop, like being able to adjust services online (you have to call now) and remote DVR capabilities. Over all the service has been pretty good and for the 4 years (after the Verizon selloff) my bill did go up $20 over the years for a monthly total of 175.xx but in September 2014 we decided to cancel TV and phone and go with Tivo and Ooma. We average about 10 hours of TV a week and about 95% of it can be captured from OTA, the rest with Netflix/Amazon Prime. The other bump was Frontier changed their FiOS plans to 30/5 ($34.99), 50/10 ($49.99) and 100/15 ($79.99) at around the same time so that put the nail in the coffin for TV and Phone service. I hated to lose the symmetrical 35/35 Internet service but we are getting by with the 30/5 plain and saving roughly $115 a month (Tivo and Ooma service factored in). (Can save $5.00 more if signed up for autopay for any of the plans.)

Today (16-Feb-2015) I did experience our first outage. Call Tech Support, very helpful, took about 45 minutes being on the phone with them. Issue was on their end and when pressed for what was the cause the tech said that they just had to do "some configuring on their stuff". (What ever that means.)

Other thoughts. We had a $250 ish credit when canceling TV and Phone so when that pot drys up I'm planning on bumping our internet to the middle tier (50/10).

Wish List:
* more control over account (change service, etc.)
* Increase upload bandwidth
* Really distance themselves from Comcast in Internet plans and price. Mainly plans.

member for 8.6 years, 2214 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by nimble42 See Profile

• Location: De Soto,Jackson,IL
Good "Reliable service and top notch tech support"
Bad "Capacity has been oversold by the sales department"
Overall "6.5 mbps in the morning. Slow download speed in the afternoon and evenings"

I was one of the first DSL customers in De Soto when Verizon was the Telco.
Frontier took over several years ago.
Frontier sales department has oversold it's capacity in this town and their formula indicates no equipment upgrade in the future.
The maximum DSL speed in De Soto is 6.5 mbps.
Between 3:30 am to 9:30 am DSL speed is 6.5 mbps.
Between 9:30 am to 12:00 noon DSL speed varies between 5 mbps and 3 mbps.
Between 12:00 noon to 3:00 pm DSL speed varies between 3 mbps and 1 mbps.
Between 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm DSL speed varies between 1 mbps and 0.5 mbps.
Between 5:00 pm to 3:30 am DSL speed varies between 0.5 mbps and 0.3 mbps.
If you’re going with Frontier as an ISP in De Soto you should not pay for more that 1.5 mbps service unless you plan on using the service Between 3:30 am to 12:00 noon

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

Review by jhejr See Profile

• Location: Guntown,Lee,MS
Good "Most all customer support has been very good."
Bad "DSL system needs upgrade. "
Overall "For where we are it's good"

Modem router combo is Netgear Model 7500. Runs hot, weak Wi-Fi output. Frontier will not turn on router firewall, says the firewall stop's some of there services. No free security software. Try to up sell you security services, and software. System here is old but working ok. Speaking for myself: The system is oversold. System slow down from 4 PM to 10PM. A system upgrade would be welcome. Wish they would upgrade the netgear 7500, to a better combo.

The service was 12 Mbps ordered. Glad to get the 11 mbps speed. Frontier says they are working on the system. Not holding my breath on that. I was with Comcast 50/10 internet. Moved into senior apt. We miss the faster speed, but we do not miss wait on hold for 30 min, hang up's by so called customer service of Comcast. Frontier customer service is so much better than Comcast, we don't mind having a slower connection. Frontier's installer was helpful and well trained. He tried to satisfy our needs as well as possible. Hope Frontier steps up and works on there problems

Comments:

Unhappy Cust

@50.126.145.x

Frontier Internet

Just switched over to Frontier in a couple of weeks, I opened my first bill and was shocked. The bill is $436 included installation and all kinds of extra charges. I called Frontier Customer and waited for appr. 20 minutes; finally, someone answered. They said, the bill was wrong because they charged me 3 times more for installation fees ($99x3). I told them that when I called to switch over to Frontier; they said, "No installation charges whatsoever and no hidden fees incurred." Well, they lied. I called back the second time, they said that they will write to someone with Frontier for me so they can look further into my bill. They said, I have to wait' "someone will let me know about their decisions." If you think you would like to switch over to Frontier internet because of their low prices, please do your research and don't get trapped like me. I hope Frontier will do better in customer services and keep their promises. This kind of lies will lead to lawsuits and decline in customers' satisfaction.

Re: Frontier Internet

Unhappy Cust: Thanks for the post. We called Frontier and checked our bill. It was incorrect and we had them to change it, I hope. Thank you for your post.

PoooTang

@50.107.191.x
Same happened here....I will let people know,DO A CHAT SESSION ONLINE ,AND SAVE THE QUOTE WHEN FINISHED.....BEFORE YOU GET YOUR BILL...Its what i used to prove the same scenario. The chat log is save to your email,and they cant go back on the salespersons own chat.....Use CHAT ONLINE at all cost for ANYTHING!....Hope it helps any future customers,i went from 170$ a month 30/3Mbps, too 54.99$ a month for 27/1Mbps ...great service once you get past the Billing.

·Frontier Communi..

Update

Frontier got my 12/1 to about 11.50mbps and upload to.95 mbps, latency from .42 to .23ms. The download was about 9.50 to 10.25mbps. The upload was .32 to .33 mbps. It appears that is a good as I will get on a old dsl system. In a small town of 2000+ upgrades will be very slow in coming. I do have access to over priced cable internet. Hope that having compaction will get more speed and pricing.

Internet congestion

First month as a frontier customer. Congestion,slow downs,and very long waits for pages to load. To be fair to Frontier the customer service and pricing are very good. I also have access to cable internet service. We were a 20 year Comcast customer before we moved. After getting off cable's high prices and bad customer service. We do not wish to return to that world. If Frontier don't improve in the next month or so we will be looking for a new isp.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

FUNNY.... firewall stop's some of there services

"Frontier will not turn on router firewall, says the firewall stop's some of there services"

Now that's funny.. A firewall will stop some of there services... yeah.. It's call being hacked.

I would definitely shut down any type of "firewall / NAT" control that they give me and and I would have my own firewall with NAT/SPI that I could control.

Review by Darknessfall See Profile

Good "TV features, uptime, price, decent packages"
Bad "N/A"
Overall "More people should consider it!"

SEE ORIGINAL U-VERSE REVIEW WITH MORE DETAILS HERE:
»/comment/86111

Update: 7/28/14

I recently upgraded our broken VIP1200 to an ISB7005 which is must faster. I also downgraded from Max Turbo to Max Plus(getting 23/2). We also downgraded to the 200 minute plan a few months ago. My bill is now $109.

Line stats at the time of the update:

Down/ Up
Max User Rate 60168 kbs Not Available
Noise Margin 19.4 dB Not Available
Attenuation 10.8 dB Not Available
Output Power 14.2 dBm -20.7 dBm
Update: 8/30/14

Since the last review we replaced our second VIP1200 with a ISB7005 and our VIP1225 with a VIP2250.

Update: 10/23/14

We will be transitioned to Frontier in a few days. Hopefully I'll be able to update with some feedback of how it goes.

Update: 11/09/14

We haven't had too many issues since the transition. I'm awaiting my first Frontier bill to see if there are any mess ups with my promotions. We're waiting for the caller ID on TV to come back though. I'll give it some time. I wish Frontier had a more robust online management website though.

Update: 11/20/14

Still no caller ID, but hopefully soon(they're saying it may be until the end of December).

Now have Hallmark Channel in our TV line-up that hasn't been available for years with AT&T.
Update: 12/7/14

Just received out 2nd bill and it's still hasn't been messed up. Still no service issues.

Update: 2/3/15

Unlike AT&T, Frontier finally fixed the database in our area to allow our road to be eligible for Power(45 Mbps) up from primarily 18 Mbps.

Update: 2/25/15

Since my last post, my caller ID on TV has began to work again since the transition. Today we had a tech come out to switch us out to CAT5 so we can use the NVG589 gateway.

In the process, our 6 year long issue with our caller ID on our phones was solved accidentally. The caller ID on our phones finally work again since our original U-verse install in early 2009.

The appointment wait time was pretty long though. They were backed up for almost 2 weeks. However, I contacted a Frontier escalation team who was able to get someone out the next day which was pretty impressive.

I changed my 4/5 install coordination rating to 5/5 and dropped the tech support rating to 4/5 primarily because there was a few issues involving the typical tech support. Some people said very different things from one another and it doesn't seem like the departments are fully linked.

Stats as of today -

SN Margin (dB) 21.5 0
Line Attenuation (dB) 13.0 0
Output Power(dBm) 14.2 -21.4

member for 2.5 years, 1436 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
jlarysz

join:2014-11-16

Frontier smtp emails getting dumped

I use Frontier DSL through lack of choice, and until yesterday I have been using their smtp servers to send emails using Microsoft Outlook. I discovered that since the end of August 2014, no emails were being delivered to a specific address if sent from my Outlook client. I traced this to a machine on the mailing route called "filter01.roch.ny.frontiernet.net". No emails for this address routed through this particular machine ever left it. They were not being bounced back to me, so they were being dumped. Frontier chat support were completely useless - "lorelei" (age, sex, qualification and location unknown) concluded that the port on which I was collecting POP3 traffic needed tweeking and had no idea what that blocking server was doing - and wasn't interested in finding out. I do not know if other recipient addresses were being dumped too - I can only find out if someone expecting an email from me doesn't get it and complains about it. I am now using a different smtp server and feel a lot more confident that the mail will get through.
jlarysz

join:2014-11-16

Frontier DSL Performance

I use Frontier Communications DSL in western NY state - it's my only option. It is a poor service. Performance is erratic; it is always slow, but often it is very slow. The local techies can't do any more. The infrastructure is terrible and Frontier are not the kind of company who invest any more than the minimumin their service. The company does not deserve many of the people who work for it.

Review by logcabinboy See Profile

• Location: Whitmore,Shasta,CA
Good "The only landline broadband available"
Bad "Very bad latency every evening"
Overall "No other choice, but I am happier than with dialup."

I was contacted by a service tech telling me that DSL was available to me, and if interested I could call their customer service line. I did that about a week later on a Monday and was told a tech would be available to install the following Monday. That day the package was waiting when I got home from work.

Recieved a speedstream modem/Router combo (not quite sure how I feel about it yet). The connection works really well most of the time, but occasionally it just stops, much like my dialup account also did. I can live with that though. I was never told what my downstream/upstream would be but I'm assuming it is 1500/256 and get a good 1250/220 on speed tests.

Overall, I'm fairly satisfied to have it and feel sort of lucky since I do live in a tiny town up in the mountains.

Comments:

Review by jumper1981 See Profile

• Location: Chloe,Calhoun,WV
Good "The customer service is always available"
Bad "the customer service tells me the same thing everytime"
Overall "Frontier DSL is horribly slow all the time and worse during peak times, don't buy."

I signed up for the DSL 1.3Mbps plan, the only one available in our rural area over 7 years ago and at first it was enough speed to stream a decent quality youtube or netflix. I could download updates fairly quickly and had no complaints. After about 5 months the speed started dropping off and after the slow 6 month process it bottomed out and has never been updated, upgraded or fixed. I am a computer technician in my area and service over 100 people's computers and devices. Everyone that I service in this rural area has exactly the same problem. Streaming is out of the question, and downloads are a joke. I briefly switched to Hughesnet to try and get some symblance of high speed but they are expensive and capped. So I am stuck with Frontier, the only option in my area. My speeds are always below .5Mbps and normally float around .25-.3Mbps...and the upload is far below that. I am being charged 40 for dsl and 40 for phone. I have called and spoke with all my representatives, attorney general, PSC and FCC, and filed complaints with the BBB. Nothing has gotten Frontier to fix their systems. They say it is too expensive, or parts are hard to find or that their is no money available for "our area"...

We do not receive even half the promised speeds yet they still charge us full price. Sometimes they issue a 10 dollar credit here and there but they are still ripping us off. We need to have fiber run to the DSLAM nearby and bridge that one with the one on down the road and then they could offer different packages and better speeds. They have NO plans to do this. I have spoken with some higher up managers and executive contacts and they basically told me "tough". I am sick of being the low man out. If anyone has any advice please PM me.

PS. we experience frequent line drops and fuzz on our phones here too...the copper that is running in these parts are all over the place. In trees, above and below ground, touching the ground, broken and basically black taped back together. I have actually picked up the phone and felt like I was back in 1970 with party lines because I heard the neighbors conversation. Tell me that there isn't anything wrong....that is laughable. Rural WV has been literally the last for upgrades and my business and other people's business is hurting because of it. I design and implement web pages and cannot do so from home because FTP cannot resolve the host or destination long enough to secure the connection so in order for me to do that part of the business I have to drive an hour to the nearest town and steal wifi...it is absurd.

member for 35 days, 14 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Deanna

@frontiernet.net

DSL

I'm in the same boat. Moving to a rural area and frontier only offers DSL. My kids both use u tube and my son plays xbox live. I don't know what to do. BTW, I've never had DSL before and it's not installed yet but, is it wireless? We use iPad and kindles and wanted to know how it worked with them. Thanks.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

Re: DSL

The frontier modem is a wired and wireless router so yes you can set mobile devices to where it goes through you're frontier DSL service. You may need to go into your router and configure some settings first so that it's visible to mobile devices and you should password protect it.
I recommend trying 100% H2O with a fresh picked apple once everyday.

Review by Blackbird See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Service/repair response time"
Bad "Tech service needs to more comprehensively identify problem causes"
Overall "Confidence in their service has been restored"

This service started out with Verizon several years ago (hence my installation reviews reflect Verizon's earlier stewardship), and was bought up several years ago by Frontier. DSL and POTS under Frontier started out on a par with the previous Verizon level, but about two years ago, notable deterioration of DSL download speeds began occurring at peak hours, at times bringing things to a complete halt for several minutes. Apparently, server and/or line capacity isn't keeping up with traffic levels, especially after 5pm until 11pm when a lot of users stream data or game.

Also, there continue to be unrelated (but fortunately infrequent) problems with POTS heavy line noise/static (caused by cracks in the aging copper) that interfere with the phone service, but not the DSL running at a higher frequency. The copper lines to this area are old and poorly maintained.

The service still remains priced at $14.95/mo "for life," as originally contracted with Verizon.

10/6/14 Update: in discussing this with a Frontier tech on site, Frontier is currently only using one pipeline for all the DSL service in this entire NE Indiana region; speed complaints have been growing rapidly for several years as the capacity has completely saturated during the peak evening hours, and the frustrated techs are getting the brunt of the complaints. Unfortunately, Frontier management is apparently ignoring the problem and feedback from its own techs, as it instead chases after fiber customers - all of which creates a major ongoing problem for those of us DSL users who haven't been given fiber service into our areas nor are on any schedule for getting such service. Most nights, DSL speeds here often intermittently drop to or below dial-up speeds for several hours at a stretch, and Frontier seems unwilling/unable to deal with the problem or to honor their speed commitments.

12/11/14 Update: service continues to deteriorate in terms of how often the speed slows down. From 1600 hours onward, download speed deteriorates virtually every night. By 2030, speeds are at 20kb/s or at a complete halt (even the speed tests sites "hang"). At 2300 or 2330, speeds generally start rapidly recovering until by midnight, speeds are back to mid-day normal. Am currently paying for full service, but in practical terms am receiving only 17 hours or less per day of usefulness. At evening speeds of 20kb/s or so, almost no website will download more than a header or two without stalling out completely. Tech support is useless in this situation, as phone reps are in denial and field reps all point at chronically overloaded DSL trunk servers and a management team that refuses to remedy things.

2/13/15 Update: On 15 December, I wrote a complaint letter to the local Frontier general manager. Three days later, a rep came to the door and explained that Frontier had found a problem wherein the neighborhood was being served by a single T1 line dating back to the "old Verizon days", rather than a DSL trunk. He indicated that a hard-wire changeover would be complete within 10 days and the various neighborhood accounts switched over by early January. This was accomplished as scheduled, and since early January, our DSL service has been running 100% of the time at its max-rated speed for the account type. In retrospect, while Frontier might have various trunk-server problems, this was not that. Their speed and accuracy in responding to the complaint letter was commendable. The only negative is that their Field Support didn't correctly identify the actual problem cause much earlier on.

member for 10.1 years, 3371 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

Dial up speeds

With 20KB/s you would be better off with dial up.

So many area's have terrible service. They should really consider replacing alot of the lines with fiber. Some customers are getting 50Mbps.
I recommend trying 100% H2O with a fresh picked apple once everyday.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Re: Dial up speeds

said by diablo1892:

With 20KB/s you would be better off with dial up. ...

Well... it certainly gives a person pause when considering the best time to download a 100+ Mb major software update. Evenings are definitely out, and last Saturday afternoon, about 2:30pm, the downward DSL speeds suddenly dropped into the 30-75 Kb/sec range for over two hours - and just as suddenly jumped back up afterward. It's gotten to where the only "safe" time to attempt anything major is when everybody else is at school, their jobs, or in bed.

But, we'll see what (if anything) happens next. I just fired off a detailed complaint to their regional mgr.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -- A. de Tocqueville

Annoyed too

@184.9.223.x

Re: Dial up speeds

Blackbird, have you fired off a complaint to the Indiana Attorney's General office? They are supposed to help Indiana residences when problems like this arise with businesses. A complaint to the BBB is one thing but AG's have the legal power to force changes.

Review by psimac See Profile

• Location: Kenmore,King,WA
Good "FiOS is Fast, 6ms ping, usually very solid, great sustained speeds"
Bad "Experiencing an outage right now for over 48 hours. No info from company."
Overall "Great tech when it works, typically bad customer support."

I've been a long-time proponent of FiOS in general. People ask me what to get and I always recommend FiOS. I've had FiOS in 2 locations in California with Verizon and this is the 3rd location with Frontier in WA State. There used to be a significant difference in service as a FiOS customer--you were treated like a top tier business customer. This has changed. Currently, I'm leeching off of an Xfinity connection due to a Frontier outage here in the Kirkland, WA area. The worst part is after 48 hours, Frontier cannot seem to explain what the issue is or when it will be restored! I've had service here for one day and now nothing. Pretty bad when the company can't be a bit more transparent with customers. I guess I will plan to work from a coffee shop or the library due to this unknown.

Comments:

Review by EdmondsFios See Profile

• Location: Edmonds,Snohomish,WA
Good "Nothing has changed. Even the pricing is the same. I must be the only totally satisfied Frontier customer on the planet."

I have the Frontier Fios Extreme Triple Play package with all Premium Channels. There are 44 premium channels in HD. The total cost for internet, phone with unlimited calling, and the TV package is $203 but approximately $40 of that is for premium channels.

I have had the service under Frontier's ownership since July 2010. It has been the best triple play package I have ever had and I have tried both satellite and Comcast during the last ten years. The quality of the service is a 10 and the picture on the TV is perfect all the time.

I have a Motorola 7216 and two Tivo's and all have operated without any problems. If you live in an area that can get Frontier Fios, I would highly recommend it. I have never had Frontier's dsl service and have no comment to make on it.

My internet service has been bullet proof and I have had no downtime or congestion issues. The service was originally installed by Verizon in October of 2008 and has been basically perfect since inception. I love the Frontier Fios service. If I have to ever go back to Comcast, I will go to antenna OTA or move.

Comments:

Review by DyannD See Profile

• Location: Baltic,New London,CT
  • Telco party Verizon
Bad "If you are considering signing up with FRONTIER . . . donít do it!! "
Overall "If you are considering signing up with FRONTIER . . . donít do it!! "

If you are considering signing up with FRONTIER . . . don’t do it!! I rarely write reviews but this one I feel very strongly about. I call to set up Internet service with them a few days ago and we set the time for them to be here to install the equipment in between 8 AM and 10 AM. today. I told the person on the phone that I did have a 12:30 appointment and I did check to make sure we should be done by 12:00 and she said that would be no problem. So 10:15 comes along and no FRONTIER. So I called them up to see if they’re on their way. The girl on the phone have to put me on hold and talk to dispatch. They had me scheduled any time between 8 AM a.m. and 5 PM p.m. …. And I explained to her again that I was scheduled between 8 and 10 before my appointment. She asked me when I’d be back I told her 2 o’clock and she told me that they will be there in between 2 PM to 5 PM. 5:10 comes along still no FRONTIER, so I call them again explaining the situation to the girl on the phone and she said that there is notes on the file stating that they had no access. I told her I was home right before 2 o’clock. She then said well they were there at 1 o’clock and stay till 130. And by the way this was 35 minutes off and on hold up to this point. She said somebody should be in the dispatch office but they weren’t answering the phone. I asked if they went home for the day and she said no that they are open until seven just like she is. At this point I cannot believe it’s happened twice in one day . . miscommunication on their part. I asked to speak to manager and gotten nowhere with her. She said that they could not do it tonight made it sound like there’s nobody working anymore even though I was told her there till seven. So I cancel service even before it even started. If a company has unacceptable customer service when your getting service installed… could you imagine what kind of service you would receive after that???

Comments:
Austinwj

join:2014-08-28
Houston, TX

Unfortunate but...

Here's what happened, you had a miscommunication about the appointment window, they changed your appointment window to 2-5 and they were running early and got there at 1. So they returned the job to a no access code. Which as a tech sucks to do because we take a hit on it. So this is kind of a bad review

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·DIRECTV
·TracFone Wireless

Do not feel bad

CL charged me for a month of service when [1] no copper pair was available to put into service, and [2] I didn't call back to start new service for 45 days.

I was living in another state. I was in town 24 hours to close the purchase, and install the phone. CL did not show and I left the state the next morning.

Seven years later they still owe me for a month service with no copper pair to put into service. (The lineman installed the copper so I COULD have a phone.) Why CL is dense is beyond me? No, not really. It's easier to lie than to man up because most of their failures at service it cannot be proven. DirecTV is even worse - if it is possible and it is.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside