Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by E Man1864 See Profile

• Location: Sylvania,Lucas,OH
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Fast new speeds (15-17 Mbps down), decent ping times, techs and CS are nice"
Bad "Couldn't get 24 Mbps"
Overall "Pretty decent ISP, get a higher speed plan if you expect to game online"

·buckeye cable
I started off with Verizon DSL, it was good, then I was switched over to Frontier. In the beginning, it was slow, then in February 2011, I upgraded to the 7.1/768 package (I listed the time it took for the upgrade in the "Days from order to success" column). I get decent speeds, but bad ping. I used to use a Westell 372W router, then they said it was outdated and gave me a Westell 7500. The only time it didn't work was through Summer 2011. Why? First, the storms. Second, I put the line going to the DSL modem/router through a surge protector (don't do that) and I immediately corrected that by connecting it directly to the wall. Here's a recent speed test I did »www.speedtest.net/result/2119025 ··· 5831.png. The phone service is good too.

UPDATE 12-11-12:

The Westell 7500 they gave me last year has given me slower speeds than usual. I still have the 7.1/768 package, but I get speeds like this: »www.speedtest.net/result/2366297 ··· 7310.png all the time. I am about 0.7 miles away from the DSLCO, so I should be able to get their faster speeds. Changed the "Connection Reliability" to 3 because of this. I will update when I get time to order a new modem/router from them.

UPDATE 2-25-14:

About 2 weeks ago, I ordered the 24 Mbps package. The tech came and fixed the outside wires and told me to wire the black and yellow pair if it wasn't already wired (it wasn't). I called to get the modem provisioned, but that didn't help get the speeds I ordered. The next day I called, and they said something about the black and yellow pairs. I called about a week later for a tech to come and fix the inside wiring and he came today. He had to re-authenticate the modem after fixing the splice wire in the other room. The new router is a ZyXEL P-663HN-51 ADSL2+ Bonded Wireless N router. I receive around 15-17 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up and »www.speedtest.net/result/3344056 ··· 6090.png is a recent speed test I did.

Comments:
Zionikk

join:2012-12-08
North Baltimore, OH

Check for Upgrades

If you're still with Frontier, you should call to see about any possible upgrades. Because I know that Bowling Green and Sylvania just got upgraded to VDSL recently. You may be able to get up to 25Mbps for residential services and 40Mbps for business.

Bowling Green and Sylvania are just to of the main cities that got upgraded. But they are upgrading in other areas as well. I would definitely look in to it. You might get lucky!

Review by Grace1475 See Profile

• Location: Richmond,Macomb,MI
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Friendlier than Comcast and a much smaller bill."
Bad "Unreliable service goes out all the time and tech support is clueless."
Overall "If you rely on your internet service for school or work this isn't going to cut."

This company could be better if their "tech support" was actually tech support and they could fix issues right away. Every 10 days or so, I call because my internet is down, they can't figure out why and they send someone out in 3-6 days. Of course it's all back on way before that and no one ever apologizes for not having a clue.

Comments:

Davex

@frontier.com

Horrible

Frontier is just horrible all the way around. Only service I can get where I live and the dsl is 1/10 what I am paying for. Get the run around everytime I call and they suggest it's my in home wiring. Funny at 8am I get full 7meg, at 4pm I get .5 - 1meg.. The system is overloaded and they will say they are upgrading but have no dates available.. Whoop's 2-years later and still not upgraded. Terrible people on the phone and tech's don't show on time or at all. Take time off work and they don't show, call them they say they were there, planning to send my hourly rate bill to them while I sat around and waited.

Review by gatorcrunch See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Reliable, common sense"
Overall "For a custom build out, totally impressed. "

15 Meg Symmetric Metro E Service

Rural location, installation was problematic, but they went far out of their way to help.

The common sense of everyone involved was amazing. I was pretty far out before on DSL, that wasn't so great, but I'm a year deep into the Metro E service and couldn't possibly be happy.

I'm not one to write reviews, or rave about a company, but at least up to date I'm a fan of frontier. If they give me any reason to change the opinion, I will remember this and update my thoughts.

Comments:

H8Comcast

@comcast.net

For $500 per month ...

It better be amazing internet. Even if it is from Frontier.

mtnarea

@05-870A.com

Re: For $500 per month ...

Looks like Metro Ethernet service. Should have a guaranteed uptime, bandwidth, etc. If you're rural and have no other options but need something, this would be it.
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

Wait.. Just 15mbps?

Oh, right it's rural service..

WithOut

@frontier.com

Re: Wait.. Just 15mbps?

I get 3 mbps, I pay $50 a month, and I can't stream video. Frontiernet.net customer service tells me my performance is 'good'. Frontiernet.net is " Pathetic ", and those are it's good points.

Review by metalmayhem4 See Profile

• Location: Weston,Lewis,WV
Good "Very reliable for how rural we are, quick to fix problems"
Bad "not high speed but that's more because of our location"

Have had no major problems with them.We originally had 3 Mb speed but kept having disconnects which turned out to be problems with the lines coupled with how far away we are. No surprise though with the major mess Verizon left our phone lines in. Frontier has been reliable with the internet connection other then the few times they had problems where a lot of areas lost internet temporarily. We signed up when they had a promotion for unlimited in state calling for 19.99 and had internet max for 29.99 bought together and a 2 year price guarantee. Not bad considering the only other option is Hughes net for $70 a month, limited speed, and almost $800 for installation.. The modem that was installed is one of the Westell 7500 wireless combo. It works ok without issues but the only complaint I can see is it doesn't support wireless n speeds.

Update : 3/4/2015

Still going and still no complaints. They have gotten most of the rats nest that Verizon left cleared out and have stated upgrading the lines all through our area as well have upgraded the main office in town as well as installed at least 3 of the remote terminals around here. They also upgraded the area to ADSL2+, now we are just waiting on the new (closer to us) RT to be installed so we can get our upgrade in speed. Other than that there has been no hiccups in service.

member for 2.1 years, 752 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by klipko See Profile

• Location: Portland,Washington,OR
Good "Service reliability, consistant speed (in my area), (somewhat) price"
Bad "Symmetrical plans are gone, a little cheaper than Comcast."
Overall "Sticking with Frontier. Comcast doesn't offer anything better."

..:: Aug-2010 ::..

158.00...give or take a few cents for long / short months. That includes:

* home phone
* internet (35 Mbit / 35 Mbit)
* TV
- MR-DVR (multi-room HD DVR box)
- HD-box
* all taxes

Been happy with the service even through the changeover to Frontier from Verizon. Fact I moved the service twice during the transition and billing charges were correct and service wasn't interrupted. Not bad.

Only down fall was the three (yes "3") Frontier contractors came to install service at my new house within 15 minutes. One for each bundled service according to their work orders. They worked it out, two stayed while the third went to his next install.

They used existing coax since the house had FiOS service before so the whole install took about 1 hour. They made sure that all channels, multi-room DVR, internet and phone was all functional before leaving.

Regarding Frontier shutting down TV service...they haven't fully said that it's going to happen but anybody can read between the lines and see the current actions the company has taken as a sign. I plan on keeping the service till it ends. After that, not sure if going OTA w/ Tivo or sign up with satellite.

Install took place in Aug 2010...just now getting around to write about it.

Good: 35 Mbit symmetrical Internet connection, 100+ HD channels, PQ
Bad: bad install coordination between Frontier and sub-contractors used
Bottom line: better value than the local cable operator

..:: 16-Feb-2015 ::..

Well Frontier never did shutdown FiOS TV service but some components did stop, like being able to adjust services online (you have to call now) and remote DVR capabilities. Over all the service has been pretty good and for the 4 years (after the Verizon selloff) my bill did go up $20 over the years for a monthly total of 175.xx but in September 2014 we decided to cancel TV and phone and go with Tivo and Ooma. We average about 10 hours of TV a week and about 95% of it can be captured from OTA, the rest with Netflix/Amazon Prime. The other bump was Frontier changed their FiOS plans to 30/5 ($34.99), 50/10 ($49.99) and 100/15 ($79.99) at around the same time so that put the nail in the coffin for TV and Phone service. I hated to lose the symmetrical 35/35 Internet service but we are getting by with the 30/5 plain and saving roughly $115 a month (Tivo and Ooma service factored in). (Can save $5.00 more if signed up for autopay for any of the plans.)

Today (16-Feb-2015) I did experience our first outage. Call Tech Support, very helpful, took about 45 minutes being on the phone with them. Issue was on their end and when pressed for what was the cause the tech said that they just had to do "some configuring on their stuff". (What ever that means.)

Other thoughts. We had a $250 ish credit when canceling TV and Phone so when that pot drys up I'm planning on bumping our internet to the middle tier (50/10).

Wish List:
* more control over account (change service, etc.)
* Increase upload bandwidth
* Really distance themselves from Comcast in Internet plans and price. Mainly plans.

member for 8.7 years, 2221 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by nimble42 See Profile

• Location: De Soto,Jackson,IL
Good "Reliable service and top notch tech support"
Bad "Capacity has been oversold by the sales department"
Overall "6.5 mbps in the morning. Slow download speed in the afternoon and evenings"

I was one of the first DSL customers in De Soto when Verizon was the Telco.
Frontier took over several years ago.
Frontier sales department has oversold it's capacity in this town and their formula indicates no equipment upgrade in the future.
The maximum DSL speed in De Soto is 6.5 mbps.
Between 3:30 am to 9:30 am DSL speed is 6.5 mbps.
Between 9:30 am to 12:00 noon DSL speed varies between 5 mbps and 3 mbps.
Between 12:00 noon to 3:00 pm DSL speed varies between 3 mbps and 1 mbps.
Between 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm DSL speed varies between 1 mbps and 0.5 mbps.
Between 5:00 pm to 3:30 am DSL speed varies between 0.5 mbps and 0.3 mbps.
If you’re going with Frontier as an ISP in De Soto you should not pay for more that 1.5 mbps service unless you plan on using the service Between 3:30 am to 12:00 noon

Comments:

Review by jhejr See Profile

• Location: Guntown,Lee,MS
Good "Most all customer support has been very good."
Bad "DSL system needs upgrade. "
Overall "For where we are it's good"

Modem router combo is Netgear Model 7500. Runs hot, weak Wi-Fi output. Frontier will not turn on router firewall, says the firewall stop's some of there services. No free security software. Try to up sell you security services, and software. System here is old but working ok. Speaking for myself: The system is oversold. System slow down from 4 PM to 10PM. A system upgrade would be welcome. Wish they would upgrade the netgear 7500, to a better combo.

The service was 12 Mbps ordered. Glad to get the 11 mbps speed. Frontier says they are working on the system. Not holding my breath on that. I was with Comcast 50/10 internet. Moved into senior apt. We miss the faster speed, but we do not miss wait on hold for 30 min, hang up's by so called customer service of Comcast. Frontier customer service is so much better than Comcast, we don't mind having a slower connection. Frontier's installer was helpful and well trained. He tried to satisfy our needs as well as possible. Hope Frontier steps up and works on there problems

Comments:

Unhappy Cust

@50.126.145.x

Frontier Internet

Just switched over to Frontier in a couple of weeks, I opened my first bill and was shocked. The bill is $436 included installation and all kinds of extra charges. I called Frontier Customer and waited for appr. 20 minutes; finally, someone answered. They said, the bill was wrong because they charged me 3 times more for installation fees ($99x3). I told them that when I called to switch over to Frontier; they said, "No installation charges whatsoever and no hidden fees incurred." Well, they lied. I called back the second time, they said that they will write to someone with Frontier for me so they can look further into my bill. They said, I have to wait' "someone will let me know about their decisions." If you think you would like to switch over to Frontier internet because of their low prices, please do your research and don't get trapped like me. I hope Frontier will do better in customer services and keep their promises. This kind of lies will lead to lawsuits and decline in customers' satisfaction.

Re: Frontier Internet

Unhappy Cust: Thanks for the post. We called Frontier and checked our bill. It was incorrect and we had them to change it, I hope. Thank you for your post.

PoooTang

@50.107.191.x
Same happened here....I will let people know,DO A CHAT SESSION ONLINE ,AND SAVE THE QUOTE WHEN FINISHED.....BEFORE YOU GET YOUR BILL...Its what i used to prove the same scenario. The chat log is save to your email,and they cant go back on the salespersons own chat.....Use CHAT ONLINE at all cost for ANYTHING!....Hope it helps any future customers,i went from 170$ a month 30/3Mbps, too 54.99$ a month for 27/1Mbps ...great service once you get past the Billing.

·Frontier Communi..

Update

Frontier got my 12/1 to about 11.50mbps and upload to.95 mbps, latency from .42 to .23ms. The download was about 9.50 to 10.25mbps. The upload was .32 to .33 mbps. It appears that is a good as I will get on a old dsl system. In a small town of 2000+ upgrades will be very slow in coming. I do have access to over priced cable internet. Hope that having compaction will get more speed and pricing.

Internet congestion

First month as a frontier customer. Congestion,slow downs,and very long waits for pages to load. To be fair to Frontier the customer service and pricing are very good. I also have access to cable internet service. We were a 20 year Comcast customer before we moved. After getting off cable's high prices and bad customer service. We do not wish to return to that world. If Frontier don't improve in the next month or so we will be looking for a new isp.
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

FUNNY.... firewall stop's some of there services

"Frontier will not turn on router firewall, says the firewall stop's some of there services"

Now that's funny.. A firewall will stop some of there services... yeah.. It's call being hacked.

I would definitely shut down any type of "firewall / NAT" control that they give me and and I would have my own firewall with NAT/SPI that I could control.

Review by Darknessfall See Profile

Good "TV features, uptime, price, decent packages"
Bad "N/A"
Overall "More people should consider it!"

SEE ORIGINAL U-VERSE REVIEW WITH MORE DETAILS HERE:
»/comment/86111

Update: 7/28/14

I recently upgraded our broken VIP1200 to an ISB7005 which is must faster. I also downgraded from Max Turbo to Max Plus(getting 23/2). We also downgraded to the 200 minute plan a few months ago. My bill is now $109.

Line stats at the time of the update:

Down/ Up
Max User Rate 60168 kbs Not Available
Noise Margin 19.4 dB Not Available
Attenuation 10.8 dB Not Available
Output Power 14.2 dBm -20.7 dBm
Update: 8/30/14

Since the last review we replaced our second VIP1200 with a ISB7005 and our VIP1225 with a VIP2250.

Update: 10/23/14

We will be transitioned to Frontier in a few days. Hopefully I'll be able to update with some feedback of how it goes.

Update: 11/09/14

We haven't had too many issues since the transition. I'm awaiting my first Frontier bill to see if there are any mess ups with my promotions. We're waiting for the caller ID on TV to come back though. I'll give it some time. I wish Frontier had a more robust online management website though.

Update: 11/20/14

Still no caller ID, but hopefully soon(they're saying it may be until the end of December).

Now have Hallmark Channel in our TV line-up that hasn't been available for years with AT&T.
Update: 12/7/14

Just received out 2nd bill and it's still hasn't been messed up. Still no service issues.

Update: 2/3/15

Unlike AT&T, Frontier finally fixed the database in our area to allow our road to be eligible for Power(45 Mbps) up from primarily 18 Mbps.

Update: 2/25/15

Since my last post, my caller ID on TV has began to work again since the transition. Today we had a tech come out to switch us out to CAT5 so we can use the NVG589 gateway.

In the process, our 6 year long issue with our caller ID on our phones was solved accidentally. The caller ID on our phones finally work again since our original U-verse install in early 2009.

The appointment wait time was pretty long though. They were backed up for almost 2 weeks. However, I contacted a Frontier escalation team who was able to get someone out the next day which was pretty impressive.

I changed my 4/5 install coordination rating to 5/5 and dropped the tech support rating to 4/5 primarily because there was a few issues involving the typical tech support. Some people said very different things from one another and it doesn't seem like the departments are fully linked.

Stats as of today -

SN Margin (dB) 21.5 0
Line Attenuation (dB) 13.0 0
Output Power(dBm) 14.2 -21.4

member for 2.6 years, 1487 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
jlarysz

join:2014-11-16

Frontier smtp emails getting dumped

I use Frontier DSL through lack of choice, and until yesterday I have been using their smtp servers to send emails using Microsoft Outlook. I discovered that since the end of August 2014, no emails were being delivered to a specific address if sent from my Outlook client. I traced this to a machine on the mailing route called "filter01.roch.ny.frontiernet.net". No emails for this address routed through this particular machine ever left it. They were not being bounced back to me, so they were being dumped. Frontier chat support were completely useless - "lorelei" (age, sex, qualification and location unknown) concluded that the port on which I was collecting POP3 traffic needed tweeking and had no idea what that blocking server was doing - and wasn't interested in finding out. I do not know if other recipient addresses were being dumped too - I can only find out if someone expecting an email from me doesn't get it and complains about it. I am now using a different smtp server and feel a lot more confident that the mail will get through.
jlarysz

join:2014-11-16

Frontier DSL Performance

I use Frontier Communications DSL in western NY state - it's my only option. It is a poor service. Performance is erratic; it is always slow, but often it is very slow. The local techies can't do any more. The infrastructure is terrible and Frontier are not the kind of company who invest any more than the minimumin their service. The company does not deserve many of the people who work for it.

Review by logcabinboy See Profile

• Location: Whitmore,Shasta,CA
Good "The only landline broadband available"
Bad "Very bad latency every evening"
Overall "No other choice, but I am happier than with dialup."

I was contacted by a service tech telling me that DSL was available to me, and if interested I could call their customer service line. I did that about a week later on a Monday and was told a tech would be available to install the following Monday. That day the package was waiting when I got home from work.

Recieved a speedstream modem/Router combo (not quite sure how I feel about it yet). The connection works really well most of the time, but occasionally it just stops, much like my dialup account also did. I can live with that though. I was never told what my downstream/upstream would be but I'm assuming it is 1500/256 and get a good 1250/220 on speed tests.

Overall, I'm fairly satisfied to have it and feel sort of lucky since I do live in a tiny town up in the mountains.

Comments:

Review by jumper1981 See Profile

• Location: Chloe,Calhoun,WV
Good "The customer service is always available"
Bad "the customer service tells me the same thing everytime"
Overall "Frontier DSL is horribly slow all the time and worse during peak times, don't buy."

I signed up for the DSL 1.3Mbps plan, the only one available in our rural area over 7 years ago and at first it was enough speed to stream a decent quality youtube or netflix. I could download updates fairly quickly and had no complaints. After about 5 months the speed started dropping off and after the slow 6 month process it bottomed out and has never been updated, upgraded or fixed. I am a computer technician in my area and service over 100 people's computers and devices. Everyone that I service in this rural area has exactly the same problem. Streaming is out of the question, and downloads are a joke. I briefly switched to Hughesnet to try and get some symblance of high speed but they are expensive and capped. So I am stuck with Frontier, the only option in my area. My speeds are always below .5Mbps and normally float around .25-.3Mbps...and the upload is far below that. I am being charged 40 for dsl and 40 for phone. I have called and spoke with all my representatives, attorney general, PSC and FCC, and filed complaints with the BBB. Nothing has gotten Frontier to fix their systems. They say it is too expensive, or parts are hard to find or that their is no money available for "our area"...

We do not receive even half the promised speeds yet they still charge us full price. Sometimes they issue a 10 dollar credit here and there but they are still ripping us off. We need to have fiber run to the DSLAM nearby and bridge that one with the one on down the road and then they could offer different packages and better speeds. They have NO plans to do this. I have spoken with some higher up managers and executive contacts and they basically told me "tough". I am sick of being the low man out. If anyone has any advice please PM me.

PS. we experience frequent line drops and fuzz on our phones here too...the copper that is running in these parts are all over the place. In trees, above and below ground, touching the ground, broken and basically black taped back together. I have actually picked up the phone and felt like I was back in 1970 with party lines because I heard the neighbors conversation. Tell me that there isn't anything wrong....that is laughable. Rural WV has been literally the last for upgrades and my business and other people's business is hurting because of it. I design and implement web pages and cannot do so from home because FTP cannot resolve the host or destination long enough to secure the connection so in order for me to do that part of the business I have to drive an hour to the nearest town and steal wifi...it is absurd.

Comments:

Deanna

@frontiernet.net

DSL

I'm in the same boat. Moving to a rural area and frontier only offers DSL. My kids both use u tube and my son plays xbox live. I don't know what to do. BTW, I've never had DSL before and it's not installed yet but, is it wireless? We use iPad and kindles and wanted to know how it worked with them. Thanks.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

Re: DSL

The frontier modem is a wired and wireless router so yes you can set mobile devices to where it goes through you're frontier DSL service. You may need to go into your router and configure some settings first so that it's visible to mobile devices and you should password protect it.
I recommend trying 100% H2O with a fresh picked apple once everyday.