Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by bandrp See Profile

• Location: Bluefield,Mercer,WV
Good "fast service, courteous, and great knowledge"
Bad "goes out sometimes, but which isp doesn't?"
Overall "very good service and support"

I have the fastest dsl available to me. 25mb down, and 1.5 up.
Have had very good results with frontier and will stay with them.
I am not a new member of DSLreports.
I was very sick and was offline for over a year and didn't log on so
I opened a new accout.

Comments:

Kyle

@spcsdns.net

Horrible

Internet goes out consistently and although the tech support is friendly they schedule a tech to come out and reschedule 2-3 times! Been without internet for three days now.

Review by isp10002 See Profile

• Location: Burbank,Wayne,OH
Good "Consistent fast speeds"
Bad "Dissconects, Not the fastest speeds."
Overall "Decent service, frontier needs to work on getting faster speeds"

·Dish Network
·Verizon Wireless..
I got this installed a few days ago, we got the highest package we could get 3 Mbps down 768k up, speeds are very consistent I'm getting 2.5 mbps down and . 5 up all the time, fast speeds, but I wish I could get something a little faster but 3 Mbps Is fine I play Xbox live and rarely have lag, but I wish I could get faster speeds buy 3 Mbps will have to do.

Update 1 week later
So far frontier is doing great, but I'm getting 2.5 mbps down and . 6 upload out of the 3mbps down and 768k up. I play Minecraft and Xbox and have no lag, I plan on staying with frontier for a long time in till cable comes to my area. I can stream 720p videos with no buffering and 1080p with little buffering.

Update 1 Month later:
Still rock solid service, but i did notice something yestorday, It was raining heavily yestorday and i notice my xbox was lagging a bit, i do a speed test download and upload are fine, but ping is 105+ ms when is is usally below 75, hopefully it doesnt do this all the time or i will make frontier do something about it. I hope its not because of a waterlogged dsl line or bridge tap. But anyways still great service so far, The only thing that makes me mad is when a family member is streaming netflix when im playing xbox, then one of us has to get off. I hope to see a upgrade in another year or 2, Maybe they will get bonded out here or move us to a closer hub. But everything is great, Hopefully it stays like that.

May 18th:
Still rock soild service.

June 18th:
Nothing has changed.

July 25th:
Still great service!
EDIT August 4th: Recently we have been having problems with dead spots in some parts of the house. The net gear modem/router is downstairs in the basement so we got a cat 5 cable and ran it from the netgear 7550 in the basement to a new netgear n600 dual band router on the middle floor. Now we don't have dead spots in the house and everything works great.

November 24:
Still no problums

January 18th: Something really unexpected happened. Armstrong started putting up guide lines for FIOS on our poles. They said it will be up and running in 6 months or so. So when they get their stuff up i will switch to armstrong. But still i have nothing bad to say about frontier. All though in decemeber we had the service go down 2 times for about 2 hours for a unknown reason but was fixed.

2/24/2014:
Well this was unexpected. Well we were having problums with out internet latley and so have our neighbors. The internet would go down at least 3 times a day ranging from a few hours to all day. Eventionally we got a tech out and he worked on a few boxes down the road and did a complete modem reset. First day every thing was good, than we started having problums again but it wasent as bad before he came out. It now goes out maybe 1 time a day and a modem reboot usally fixes it. All i have to say is try to stay away from this company only go unless you really have to they arent the most reliable company but i am still some what satified.

4/5/2014: All problems seemed to have cleared up im guessing it may have been due to very cold weather effecting our old lines. Everything seems to be back to normal now

Comments:

Disappointed

Terrible service!

My father who is 75 just moved into a retirement community where Frontier is the only provider of internet/tv/phone service. He has waited over two weeks for a technician to come turn on his service only to get an automated call at the end of today to say they aren't going to make the appointment. I tried to call the number only to get a rude customer service rep to say he'll have to reshedule. Frontier has represented themselves very poorly. They missedare their appointment and the customer service rep stated their appointment times are a ot committments they just try to make the times. I have never experience such poor service. If we had a choice we would not use Frontier. Terrible!! Awful!!

Disappointed

Hate Frontie

@comcastbusiness.net
When we first switched to frontier, it took them 2 weeks to get our service turned on. The kept coming out and "flipping a switch" and nothing worked. After 4 visits we finally got them to come in a fix the outlets to get our service to work. When we moved we explained what had occurred during the initial install and asked that a technician come in and make sure everything was ok before they left. They refused and told us it wouldn't be necessary, so after 3 more "switch flipping" visits they told us they would come in a do the outlets again. But the technician took it upon himself to decide it wasn't unnecessary. And guess what? We still don't have internet. It has ow been 3 weeks and have another schedule today to get our service activated. What really makes me mad is that frontier is our ONLY choice for internet otherwise I would have been rid of those worthless idiots. We spoke two TWO supervisors now and were promised someone would come in. If they do not I will be in there office in Bloomington and making a scene. I am starting to wonder if they recruit their staff at the special Olympics.

isp10002

join:2012-10-24

Re: Worst service ever

What do you mean by "flipping a switch" where? on the nid?

hate frontie

@comcastbusiness.net

Re: Worst service ever

I don't know. That's what they said on the . That they just had to flip a switch and didn't have to ever come in the apartment.

Isp100022

@50.43.177.x

Re: Worst service ever

I feel so lucky to have good service, i can stream hd videos without buffering,the choices around here are century link or frontier and the highest they can provide is 3 mbps.

tech

@comcast.net
there is no switch to flip. the rep has to go to the central office and loop the line through the dsl equipment or if it is a remote changed the port to one with dsl or dial tone and dsl on it. there is no switch to flip
Jeep80909

join:2013-05-27
Lakeville, MN

Re: Worst service ever

That's not true...there's is a switch.

I signed up for DSL Lite and had it for 4 years then switched to DSL Max over the phone Frontier had to send me a new modem. Once installed I ran a speedtest and it was the same old speed, lite version, I called they sent a "tech" out. The tech called the office, they flipped the switch and it worked.

Now 2 months later, it's back to 0.77 Mbps!

I called again, this time she tried to sell me an "Upgrade" for $10 a month...Frontier Communication are lairs

I'm going to check out a hotspot.

tech

@comcast.net
did you have a self install or did you pay for a full install? self install means it is good to the nid on the side of the house, full install is good to the jack... so it matters what you got.

isp10002

join:2012-10-24

Re: Worst service ever

Ha i dont get how peoples wiring is so bad. My wiring was installed by gte 12+ years ago or more probally.

Review by mike8675309 See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Dakota,MN
Good "Tends to be reliable if not low performance for the cost."
Bad "Expensive for the speeds available. When there are problems, not very helpful"
Overall "Cable internet likely a better value if you can get it."

·Charter
I have Frontier's High Speed Inet 6M/384K service and for 99% of the time I don't even fret about it. Sure, I'm not thrilled about the terrible upload speed, nor the changeable download speeds. But overall, I tended to prefer Frontier since my experience with customer service has usually been very good, and my cable experience really bad.

Outages are rare, but I recently had an outage that causes me to now look at alternatives to Frontier. The service went down, out of the blue at 4:30pm. Over the next 4 hours I spoke to 3 different people at Frontier. The first basically said yes, it looks like an issue. Don't worry I'll escalate it and someone should be taking a look at the problem soon. After that I spoke to some neighbors with DSL. Yep, theirs is down too. 3.5 hours later I call to see whats up. This guy tells me someone will be out at 5pm tomorrow to look at the problem. O.k.. so now starts a long conversation, more trouble shooting, and eventually talking to a supervisor that basically says to me, regardless of what you pay for the service, we're not going to do anything about it until tomorrow.

I can get that kind of poor service from the cable company and at a lower cost. Maybe it's time for me to cut telephone all together, use my cell phone, and get cable for internet.

Update on 3/20/2014. I moved 2 years ago and in the transaction with Frontier I got stuck with no phone service and having to change phone numbers even though before the move I was given no notification of that need. Thus I could wait 3 days to get my phone service at the new home, or the cable company could get me phone service in 2 hours. I picked the cable company. No longer with Frontier and don't even get telphone from the cable company anymore. I use cable internet and voip for telephone.

member for 5.2 years, 130 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by muffy1986 See Profile

• Location: Bruceton Mills,Preston,WV
Good "nothing"
Bad "everything"
Overall "avoid at all costs"

I ordered the basic DSL package with speeds up to 7 MBPS. That "up to" is a bad bad thing, because the highest I have ever received was 3.x mbps, and that was prior to the Verizon buyout. When the internet is functioning, which isn't all that often, it's usually at 1 mbps or lower. Recently, throughout the day, the connection is down to 0.05 mbps, when we're lucky enough to have service. The service is down more than it's up, and they appear to be throttling many sites, like YouTube, Netflix, and Facebook. Unfortunately, this is the only company that will provide non-dialup internet service in this area due to the crazy oligopolies that exist, so I can't really get any other service.

The initial setup was surprisingly easy. I used to have Frontier service at my house and still had a router from them from my previous venture with them, so we were able to use that to have me online within about 6 hours of calling to have service set up. Service was wonderful for the first week, plugging along at speeds that honestly surprised me. It was only about 3.5 mbps, which was only half of their advertised 7 mbps, but with the "up to" they had thrown in the advertising, I wasn't going to complain. The only complaint I have about setup is that their website said that we could get business-class internet, but when we called to have it set up, we were told we could not. This wouldn't be an issue, except I do business that requires me to have a static IP. I've thankfully found ways around this for now, but we'll see how long that lasts.

Speeds were fairly consistent that first week, then service started to become patchy, and, at times, non-existant. We'd call customer service, they'd have us go through the process of resetting the router, running speed tests, etc., to no avail. Got really frustrating when we told them up front it was a neighborhood-wide outage. We'd even have a couple of the neighbors on the line for conference calls all saying here's the account numbers, none of us have service, please fix it. They didn't care.

Customer service phone calls to Frontier are dreaded at my house because the reps are almost always very snotty, disrespectful, not knowledgeable about anything to do with internet (they're obviously following scripts and have no clue how to think outside the box), and unhappy. There have been a few nice, upbeat, knowledgeable people, but they are few and far between. I can't complain about the techs who actually come out to fix line issues and whatnot in person, either. They're always friendly. But I dread calling the call center. Since we only have DSL and not phone service through them, they get uppity when we tell them that we don't know our phone number. Sorry but I'm not paying for extra services when you can't even begin to maintain the only one I have. They treat me like I'm stupid for not knowing the phone number, but technically, the only phone numbers I have are cell phone numbers, which wouldn't help them at all since they're in no way tied to the DSL account, other than as contact numbers.

In north-central West Virginia, Frontier apparently received a grant to alleviate bottlenecking. That was a couple of months ago, and the service is less reliable now than it was then. We've been told that our internet connection isn't functioning properly due to any number of things: a micro-tear in the fiber that is only affected during cold weather, oops that micro-tear affects the connection all the time, the internet halfways across the state is down due to a known issue (which they won't tell us what said issue is) and is causing issues in your area, the internet halfways across the country is down due to known issues and is causing issues in your area, there's static on your line, etc. They have literally used every excuse in the book instead of admitting that they're the ones at fault.

Comments:
ZSwiftmend

join:2013-05-05
Morgantown, WV

Frontier is bad!!!

I agree! I also live in a rural area outside of Morgantown, and have the same issues and concerns. They have never provided the service they promised, but they have always taken our money. Never once have they reduced my bill because of outages (which happen all the time). In my opinion, they dont care about thier customers. Our local service technicians worked like crazy to make it the best they can, but they cannot fix the infrastructure. Frontier has to provide the resources to upgrade the infrastructure in our areas....which they don't appear to be willing to do. You can find the article on DSLR about WV having to give back a couple million dollars because they did not do what was required to set up their contracts for updating the infrastructure in rural areas. All of it is unacceptable.

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

Re: Frontier is bad!!!

Everyones experience is different, depends on where you live. I know of someone now that hates cable and loves DSL much better. I know of someone who loves satellite connection and hates DSL and cable/Fios. So it just depends on where you live and what type of user you are.

Our state made a big mistake on buying all that fibre, indeed but we truely needed it cause some of us were on very expensive connection and in need of change bad but in the end we got better deal with better/reliable connection and some of us didn't improve all that much. If your in a very rural area, chances are your never gonna get good deals or very good connection at all, just crap while most of everyone else using that same service are enjoying it.

said by muffy1986:

the fiber that is only affected during cold weather

There is no doubt with this. The fibre should've been buried to help keep it from getting effected by the cold. I spoke face-to-face with a technician what it was and it indeed was the fibre getting effected, he didn't know how is what he also said.

said by muffy1986:

Recently, throughout the day, the connection is down to 0.05 mbps

How far are you behind a terminal? The main reason why I get good service from mine is because i am just 200 feet behind one and we're the first ones so we get the ultra for that reason.
I hope your reading this papap. You were as kind, sweet and easy going person I ever met.
You no longer have to suffer from all the pain you had when down here on earth.
I love you.

R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise 8/9/45-11/21/13

phoneman1

@50.43.129.x

Re: Frontier is bad!!!

Here the bottom line, frontier has grossly over sold there available band width, they will continually tell you they are upgrading there equipment in your area. this will not happen, I have heard this story for 18 months now, my biggest fear came true just after xmas. all the new xboxes, smart tv, hand held, lap tops, you know xmas gifts ate up what was left of the available band width.. Frontier claims know responsibility..they are not governed by the puco, so they don't give a shit. bottom line your screwed.. fight for rate reductions thats all they'll do..

Michelle101

@50.126.19.x

Internet

Absolutely terrible. Want to watch any type of video? Forget it. A 30 minute show will take up to 2 1/2 hrs to watch. You can't leave it to load and come back because it will be in the exact same. Games are impossible to play.
The phone and internet are constantly blacking out for DAYS at a time. If you get hold of repairs, it is never Frontiers fault. One time they blamed AT&T. Another time it was due to a lightning strike. Even though there had not been a storm for several month prior to the blackout.
Save your money, go else where rather then with Frontier.

Review by ncted See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Fast, connection for a reasonable price. No caps. Netflix open connect CDN. CSRs and techs are very nice and friendly."
Bad "Installation happened a day late even though I purposely gave them plenty of lead time. 2 long outages in a week."
Overall "Nice folks, intermittent service."

I was on TWC Turbo (20/2), and I was unhappy with Netflix streaming performance and first byte time on websites and the recent price increases. Despite speedtest.net ping times of >20ms, it was laggy. I read that Frontier had joined the Netflix Open connect CDN: »signup.netflix.com/openconnect, and the price and speeds offered were good, so I decided to give it a try. I ordered Simply Broadband Max (24/2) for $55/month, no contract, free installation, and 2 year price guarantee.

Installation was a annoying because they didn't show up in the window they specified, and didn't call to tell me they weren't going to be able to make the appointment. I got a call over an hour later letting me know they would try again the next day. When I called to find out why, I was told they were busy fixing service for many people affected by adverse weather. While that may be true, they clearly knew they would not make my appointment well ahead of time, and they could have let me know sooner.

I received an ActionTec FV2200 modem. It has a full set of router features. I disabled wireless, and may try to put it into bridge mode, if I can determine how to make my Airport Extreme work with PPOE on a channel bonded connection.

Speedtest.net ping times are about 10ms longer than TWC, but first byte times are actually about 1/2 second lower than I observed with TWC. Netflix hasn't re-buffered yet, and it seems solidly at the highest PQ so far. I did experience an Internet outage (but not DSL, so must have been a backhaul issue) the first night I had the new service from about 12:30-2:00 AM, but TWC was down at the same time, so I would've been impacted either way. Since then, it has been rock solid. Hopefully that continues.

At the end of the day, I am happy I switched, and I hope this will be a reliable service for a long time to come.

UPDATE 3/5/2014:

I am posting this from my TWC connection I hadn't cancelled yet. Frontier has been down for hours and Tech Support has no idea why. This is the second time in a week. Not happy at the moment.

UPDATE 3/6/2014:

Due to connection reliability issues, I have cancelled my service. The CSR was extremely nice about it, and offered to lower my bill to make up for the inconvenience of the outage. If I didn't need this for work, I might consider it.

member for 3.4 years, 404 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Lyle jeffrey

@50.36.70.x

extremely dissatfied

I am writing this to let everyone know just how we have been treated with this company! my wife was called over a year ago with a offer to bundle our services so we could save about $30.00 a month . she agreed and they bundled our service lo and behold our monthly bill did not go down but went up by over $30.00. after numerous calls to frontier (getting some one different each time) we got nothing but a run around. At this point we ask to cancel our services and was told there would be a large charge to do so. mind you we have been with this company for ever. this was a year ago just this week my wife called to cancel our service and they say the contract was renewed in October. we had no idea how this was done they now say there is a $100.00 for early cancellation fee. this company is like a bad omen once your in you cant get out with out paying threw to nose. so be ware people you should think twice before doing business with these rip offs. we are on a fixed income so every little bit helps!

Review by Luka1 See Profile

• Location: Index,Snohomish,WA
Good "Good, reliable service."
Bad "Cost."

Ok, I've been on Frontier DSL for about two years now.

I love it.

There have been problems, but I have never dealt with a company of any sort that never had any problems.

The people at Frontier are quick to try to solve any problems. And the field techs are top notch!

Comments:

Review by E Man1864 See Profile

• Location: Sylvania,Lucas,OH
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Fast new speeds (15-17 Mbps down), decent ping times, techs and CS are nice"
Bad "Couldn't get 24 Mbps"
Overall "Pretty decent ISP, get a higher speed plan if you expect to game online"

·buckeye cable
I started off with Verizon DSL, it was good, then I was switched over to Frontier. In the beginning, it was slow, then in February 2011, I upgraded to the 7.1/768 package (I listed the time it took for the upgrade in the "Days from order to success" column). I get decent speeds, but bad ping. I used to use a Westell 372W router, then they said it was outdated and gave me a Westell 7500. The only time it didn't work was through Summer 2011. Why? First, the storms. Second, I put the line going to the DSL modem/router through a surge protector (don't do that) and I immediately corrected that by connecting it directly to the wall. Here's a recent speed test I did »www.speedtest.net/result/2119025831.png. The phone service is good too.

UPDATE 12-11-12:

The Westell 7500 they gave me last year has given me slower speeds than usual. I still have the 7.1/768 package, but I get speeds like this: »www.speedtest.net/result/2366297310.png all the time. I am about 0.7 miles away from the DSLCO, so I should be able to get their faster speeds. Changed the "Connection Reliability" to 3 because of this. I will update when I get time to order a new modem/router from them.

UPDATE 2-25-14:

About 2 weeks ago, I ordered the 24 Mbps package. The tech came and fixed the outside wires and told me to wire the black and yellow pair if it wasn't already wired (it wasn't). I called to get the modem provisioned, but that didn't help get the speeds I ordered. The next day I called, and they said something about the black and yellow pairs. I called about a week later for a tech to come and fix the inside wiring and he came today. He had to re-authenticate the modem after fixing the splice wire in the other room. The new router is a ZyXEL P-663HN-51 ADSL2+ Bonded Wireless N router. I receive around 15-17 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up and »www.speedtest.net/result/3344056090.png is a recent speed test I did.

Comments:
Zionikk

join:2012-12-08
North Baltimore, OH
·Frontier Communi..

Check for Upgrades

If you're still with Frontier, you should call to see about any possible upgrades. Because I know that Bowling Green and Sylvania just got upgraded to VDSL recently. You may be able to get up to 25Mbps for residential services and 40Mbps for business.

Bowling Green and Sylvania are just to of the main cities that got upgraded. But they are upgrading in other areas as well. I would definitely look in to it. You might get lucky!

Review by landrover See Profile

• Location: Martinsburg,Berkeley,WV
Good "Great speed. ADSL2+, Good Ping, Consistent and no connection issues"
Overall "For the price, it really is a good deal with this speed. Cheaper than Comcast. "

We upgraded from the 3Mbps package to 12 Mbps, it was only about $10 increase per month. They said 24 Mbps was available, and we considered that but stuck with 12Mbps for now.

Install was quick and simple, however, they did not show up when they said they would.
Netgear ADSL2+ router used. Standard.

So far the connection is wonderful. It has great ping, and no drop in speed. We do a lot of streaming and rarely does it buffer.
Downloads run perfect. There's really nothing to complain about except for the fact that Frontier's top-tier speeds are really limited in areas. We live close to the CO so that is how we were able to get the upgrades.

Bottom line, living in town it's certainly cheaper than Comcast and works perfect. No complaints at all.

Comments:

Review by rustyone See Profile

• Location: Chesterton,Porter,IN
  • Telco party Florida Digital Network
Good "Turnaround situation, abysmal => good. S/W settings internal to Frontier changed. "
Bad "Prob corrected.Too $$ & sloooow.Conn used to be exc;last 2 mnths,frTech support friendly, short wait,but probs persist.eq drops."
Overall "Now satisfactory <= Abysmal overpromised service; techs say all is well w equip, just overloaded, no improvements in sight."

Frontier DSL Premium 3 to 5 Mb, Chesterton, Indiana 46304

UPDATED 24-Feb-14:
Ready to fire Frontier Jan-14, but I submitted a Hail Mary complaint that pushed the right button. As a prior Verizon DSL account holder who was rolled over to a Frontier DSL account, sometime apparently in late 2013 my account was relegated to a non-Frontier account so that anytime a recognized Frontier user had a data request, Frontier took care of that first and mine only after all other Frontier requests had been serviced. This meant in peak hours of internet usage, I got nearly zero data. An ace Frontier service tech spotted the problem with my vestige/ legacy account, changed it to a normal Frontier account, and voila', the slowest observed service improved to approx 3.1/ 0.45 Mbps, and non-peak hours speeds often hit 6.0/ 0.78 Mbps. Streaming from a nearby radio station is now rarely broken. WHAT A TURNAROUND! I am now much happier.

The Frontier also replaced a relatively new Actiontec GT784WN I had with their own Netgear B90-755044-15. The Netgear modem connects to all my computers and printers whereas the Actiontec had a number of connectivity issues, but the Actiontec could block websites and log traffic that I do not believe the Netgear can do.

Tech Support and Services would have been even higher had the reported issues not taken two months and hours and hours of my time to resolve.

******************************************

Frontier/ Verizon user since 2006.

Verizon in 2006 charged an extra ~$12/ mo to upgrade to 3 to 5 Mbps. Price then, for DSL dryline, (no telephone), was about $35/ mo incl taxes. Speedtests then yielded 3.1/ 0.78 Mbps max and fairly consistent regardless of the time of day.

Frontier acquired the local Verizon DSL and telephone service several years ago and speedtests yielded results similar to Verizon until ~early 2012. Since then the fastest download seemed to be capped at 2.8 Mbps even at 0200 or 0300. Connections were consistent. Tech support was quick to answer and easy to understand, but on a couple of occasions when the service noticeably slowed, Frontier said all was okay and everything checked okay. A couple of days later, after nearly unusable service, it found a problem with its local server; I was told a local server card changeout was made and service returned to normal.

Frontier now tells me DSL Premium is not 3 to 5 Mbps, but rather, 1 to 6 Mbps and upped the "fixed price contract" $5/mo, but gave one month credit when it did that. Devolution comes to mind.

Since perhaps Nov-13, service has really slowed. The max download speed has remained at 2.8 Mbps/ upload at 0.78 Mbps in the wee hours, but frequently fell below 1.5 Mbps down between 1400 and 2330.

Over the last several months, streaming WVPE.org from South Bend would be lost within 10 minutes; now WBEZ.org from Chicago is being lost every 4 or 5 minutes, and the download speed, when the speedtest goes to completion, shows around 0.16 Mbps, while the upload speed generally makes the fairly consisten 0.78 Mbps.

A local tech verified the signal down and up are quite good, and a new modem yielded the same speedtest results.

Frontier's tech people, local and office, are friendly and easy to understand, but the bottom line speed and consistency of connection are really, really lacking.

For this I have been paying for Frontier's so-called DSL Premium service of $40/ mo incl taxes. This month it is making an adjustment, but when the ISP connection is frequently dropped and the download speed drops below 0.1 Mbps at times, even free service would be too expensive. When obvious problems go on for months and seem to be worsening, it's time for a change. The biggest problem with that is Comcast is the local alternative, and my past experience in 2006 with it was pretty miserable, (like a 300 baud rate between 1500 and 2330 everyday that went on for weeks and literally cost me dearly).

Something I find curious: Speedtest comparisons. Running speedtest.frontier.com just about always yields speeds of 2.5 to 2.8 Mbps down, 0.68 Mbps up, except when Frontier really messes up, (and that has been frequently recently), when the speeds dip to 1 to 2 Mbps down/ 0.5 Mbps up. Running DSLReports.com and speakeasy.net/speedtest give about the same results as each other, and seem to reflect my actual download perception of speed, will max at 2.8 down/ 0.78 up Mbps, but drop to less than 0.1 down/ 0.5 up Mbps when the service is lousy. In other words, when the world is rosy, speedtest.frontier.com and DSLReports.com give similar results, but when the service slows, speedtest.frontier.com usually continues to show good speed, while DSLReports.com shows lousy download speed.

If I did not know better, I would say Frontier and Comcast have worked out a deal limiting competition between the two. Neither have upgraded infrastructure nor speed and their prices continue to be high

11-Jan-2014 18:33 flash speedtest 186 Kbps 686 Kbps This is typical for DSLReports speedtest results run in the evening over the last couple of weeks.
*********************************
UPDATED ADDITIONAL DATA

Sun, 12-Jan-14: 50.104.85.101
DSLReports @ 04:30: something like 2.6/ 0.70
Started slowing around 10:00. Quite slow, like 50k/ 680k starting 1900. Even slower btwn 1900 & 2300. Most speedtest do not complete even after waiting 10 minutes.

speedtest.Frontier increased fr not completing, to 0.37. 0.47 @ 23:01. Seems the speed increased significantly at 2300.
speedtest.frontier increased to 1.47/ 0.63 @ 2309.
speedtest.frontier 2.70/ 0.65 @ 2340; dslreports 0.28/ 0.68 @ 2344

speedtest.frontier 0.18/ 0.50 @ 1844; dslreports DNF; 0.28/ 0.65 @ 1848
speedtest.frontier 0.60/ 0.64 @ 1903; dslreports 0.53/ 0.71 @ 1858

14-Jan-14
speedtest.frontier 3.09/ 0.68 @ 0016; dslreports 2.63/ 0.62 @ 0017
speedtest.frontier 3.50/ 0.67 @ 0519; dslreports 2.68/ 0.71 @ 0524 Probs speedtest.front,
1st 3 test timed out.

speedtest.frontier 0.24/ 0.46 @ 1850; dslreports 0.17/ 0.78 @ 1853
ping to rochester: 247 ms, parsippany: 275 ms
speedtest.frontier 0.10/ 0.61 @ 1906; dslreports 0.18/ 0.42 @ 1912
ping to rochester: 178 ms, parsippany: 131 ms
speedtest.frontier nr/ nr @ 1942; dslreports 1836; dslreports 0.09/ 0.69 @ 1836=> 1843
ping to rochester: 69 ms, parsippany: 42 ms. speedtest took a minute just to connect
with its web page, and req 5 times to get any results, and the upload never completed
after 6 minutes; dslreports timed out/ connection lost 10 times before 1 test completed.

At 1745, it took 2 minutes just to connect to my bank's secure web page. I am giving up using Frontier and the Internet for anything between 1800 and 2300 because it is so slow and lost connections. Forget bidding on any auctions closing during this time and just use email at some other time.

Would it not be poetic justice if Frontier Communications corporate officers Maggie Wilderotter and Daniel McCarthy were forced to use this same service? Or maybe suing them personally for breach of contract and wanton negligence?

Comments:

Review by William See Profile

• Location: Washougal,Clark,WA
Good "No complaints, except mail"
Bad "Mail service not all that good"
Overall "Fast and reliable"

·Canvas Dreams
02-15-14, been almost 2 years now, quite happy still, though wish mail would work better. Frontier Yahoo mail is a flake of a service. So I rely on my website email.

As an satellite user, was quite skeptical about Frontier was even really available here, my location is over 10 miles from the nearest town, there is a remote terminal about 2 miles down the road. Had Frontier DSL since 02-23-12 and took about a week for the install, using the Westell 7500 modem/router, all in all quite happy with the service.

Started with 3 Mbps down and 768K up, see speeds of ~ 3 Mbps down and ~ 1 Mbps up, don't recall exact date upload speed increased to 1 Mbps from 768. Have yet to contact Frontier for support, been over a year now. Pings generally stay below 50 ms all hours of the day, do spike every now and then above 100 ms, higher pings really don't bother me, coming from satellite.

member for 3.9 years, 1535 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Scott M tech

@50.121.70.x

Frontier services

Hello,
I'm actually a technician with frontiers regular high speed internet help desk. Definitely consider giving frontier a call about the issues you're having, all of our 100 percent US based work force would be happy to assist you in trouble shooting your problem.

Thanks,
Scott M
burnside

join:2012-06-19

Frontier DSL Port Availability

I am building a house in the Washougal area by the Washougal River. I have spoke to a few technicians and see that there are no more available DSL ports. The neighbors I am building by all have DSL with Frontier. Am I doomed never to get a port unless one day someone drops Frontier???

Thanks,
b

John tan

@mycingular.net

Bad

Frontier is bad!! I hate it I'm switching

Mark Mywords

@untd.com

The Frontier dsl Port Unavailability Excuse

Frontier customer service is so consistently inconsistent that it's hard to believe it's not part of a plot. Rumor has it that Frontier is an agent of the liberal agenda working to frustrate and deny hi-speed access to political adversaries/conservatives.