HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by compuguybna See Profile

• Location: Nashville,Davidson,TN
Good "There are NO good points to state about Hughesnet, Pure trouble!"
Bad "All ECC can say in defense is --we do not guarantee speeds--!"
Overall "Slow speeds, Clueless India Tech Support, Throttling, Expensive"
Mail,DNS,News:

Hear all the issues with Gen4 . . . . New bird wasn't the solution I guess?

Just heard a co-worker had hughesnet installed on 7/23/12. I told he should have asked me first. Yesterday 7/25/12, two days after install, he was cussing Hughesnet and his blood pressure was up! He cancelled TODAY 7/26, and told Hughes to come get the equipment off his property!

I told him about wireless broadband, and now he's getting 20GB off a Verizon tower for $59.

I wonder if GEN4 is gonna be the same? If they dont raise the caps and allowances, there will be no hope.......

Problems? Here's your best THREE contacts! Send 1 email to all three.
You'll get a call!

Complaints can be address to : bbbdc@hughes.net (Handles BBB complaints) or

(ECC) executivecustomercare@hughes.net or

william.smouse@hns.com (my last contact)

Just gotta laugh at the new advertising schemes from Hughesnet.
I still keep getting advertising and emails from them wanting me to "come back" to their service. Not in this lifetime I say.

Here's Hughesnet TOP 10 reasons to Try/Use their Service.

1. It's available wherever you live **Ok, they got me on this one**

2. It's super-fast. ***NOT*** why do they call this broadband anyway? just cause of the inherent latency...

3. It works with your computer. **Ok, they got me on this one**
for pc's anyway.

4. No dial-up necessary **No brainer, it uses a satellite, not a POTS line, however it can be as SLOW AS DIALUP!

5. We install it, so you have nothing to worry about ***BUT you want to charge truck-roll if SOMETHING DOES HAPPEN, even within the warranty period***

6. It's secure. **Ok, they got me on this one**, but DOES NOT play well with "secured sites**https**

7. We constantly monitor the network to ensure better service
***yes, so we can find you and throttle you if you actually "USE* the service***

8. Excellent customer service **WRONG** If you enjoy banging your head against your desk talking with India...***

9. Hughes is a leader in the industry, **BUT** not necessarily the only satellite provider.

10. Hughes is a trusted name and provider.....***Trusted name doesn't necessarily mean better service***

AND the fact that they have changed all the plan names (and if I see right, deleted a plan).

BASIC (1mbps) 200mb day
Power 150 (1.5mbps) 300mb day
Power 200 (2.0mbps) 400mb day

Being greedy, Hughes states on ALL plans you can UPGRADE your daily allowance by 50mb a day for only $10 a month.

Actually the daily allowances have DROPPED. Didn't the 1.6 plan (obviously dropped). have a 425 or 525mb allowance?

So, on the Power 200 plan (2.0mbps plan), you can get a WHOPPING 450mb a day for only $119.99! WOW! Is that value or what?

Does this apply to new users only? or have download allowance dropped for current users?

WTF???

UPDATE 9/21/10. Thankful the Broadband GODS have answered. Have High speed cable internet now.
20mbps download! Thank goodness I can download almost 9gigs in one day if I prefer, instead of the disgusting 425MB I had to deal with on Hughes at 1mpbs or less! ! !

I've had TWO Hughesnet Accounts in six months, BOTH of them turned out to be disasters. The First was plagued with billing and service errors to start with. They billed my credit card 503.86 on my first bill because they said I put in an order for a "purchase". WRONG! The order simply stated lease. I had to send them the original order to prove it.

A month later, they got it 1/2 right, but it was a continual battle with billing. I eventually had to change credit card #'s to get them to stop billing me. For the first 30 days, the service was as good as expected. I was on the HOME plan, which provide "UP TO" 1mbps of service. During the first 30 days, you are in a "customer satisfaction stage", where you can cancel without penalty, return the equipment at your expense, and not be obligated any longer. Your fee's you have paid so far are NOT REFUNDABLE (other than disputing it through your credit card company). After your 30 days, and after your SECOND invoice generates, WHAMMY! you are at their mercy.

Their famous excuse after that is "SPEEDS ARE NOT GUARANTEED". If you have to call tech support, its an endless cycle of running speed tests, and talking to someone in India. Billing support is in the Phillipines. With so many issues on this account, and after writing the Better Business Bureau of Maryland, my account was handed over to the corporate office (Executive Customer Care).

I give those people credit, they did TRY to help me with the issues, but given that the NOCC (network operations) was directly controlling speeds at that time thru throttling and flow control, ECC and myself that this battle should end (it was stated by tech support.. "your system is running fine. There is nothing else we can do...If you are not happy with the service, either "accept it with its Flaws" or cancel it. WHAT??? They admit their service is flawed? Cancelled it. More stupid on my part, we decided to sign up for a totally new account. New install, new equipment, new start...

Once again, EVERYTHING went perfect for the first 30 days. I signed up for the PRO + package that time which gave a tad bit more speed, plus more daily usage (425mb)... Consistently, everyday, 1.5mbps speeds which was 95% of the plans output. GREAT I was thinking. 30 days passed. Second Invoice. Speeds went to around 300-400K....then comes the excuses... "You are in peak time usage", you have exceeded your usage, you're in FAP, the weather at your gateway is BAD.

Tech support did admit once (the guy in India) that there WAS a problem, but it would have to be diagnosed by engineering. Again, and endless cycle of speed tests (in two occassions, put me over my daily usage, FAP, which they were unwilling to release).... So be well aware, if you sign up for a Hughesnet Account with a HN9000 modem package, you are in for a very long battle. While you may think you're crusing right along at first, wait til you're 30 days are up, and you're in a contract. TWO TIMES in 6 months taught me a lesson! NEVER trust these people. they will NEVER admit that network operations gives you what ever speeds they want, whenever they want.

The corporate office's response to my second series of complaints was directly from the office of the president and stated """We will not go through this again. Everyone just got your letter today. I called your mother and left a message. There is an open ticket with Tier 4, if they can't resolve I recommend she cancel immediately. PLEASE refrain from sending e-mails to the customer service group. I am sorry she is, or you are not happy with the service. You and I had an agreement on this next account. No complaints to ECC, and we do not guarantee speeds."""

their famous slogan "do not guarantee speeds" just doesn't cut it on a 79.99 a month plan that rates at 1.6mbps, but only providing 300-400K. This is a TRUE story, and I have no doubt all of these others are true in their own respect at well. FORWARNED if you are thinking about Hughes.

Complaints can be address to : bbbdc@hughes.net or
executivecustomercare@hughes.net or
william.smouse@hns.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
UPDATE: Many forum users have challenged my posts and experiences......

YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY ! ! ! Think what you want...

Hughesnet just didn't get it in TN. Read any posts from any user in TN, Hughesnet screwed us (or still screws ya if you're stupid enough to stay).

Perhaps users in other states have different/varied results.

I know what I experienced, documented, and dealt with.

I am so glad I'm not a part of the nightmare.

I posted the notes only to share with others. If you don't agree or wish dispute the points I made, than this is sole your option.

thank you, i'm finished in this forum. If you signup with Hughesnet, good luck with the consequences you will experience later on.

member for 5.3 years, 2452 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
·Millenicom
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

Still So Pathetic even an Email and facebook only user cxls.

Problems? Here's your best THREE contacts! Send 1 email to all three.
You'll get a call!
cdrslan

join:2012-07-30
Louisville, KY

Re: Still So Pathetic even an Email and facebook only user cxls.

I had Hughes.net and before that it was called Direcway for about 5 years. My wife liked the browsing speed versus the 16.400 baud dial up speed... Downloads were great. The problem with this service and it was fully disclosed..but frustrating...the FAP policy and the upload packets. Very very frustrating to a gamer who lived in a rural area that had 0 options for quality broadband. The slowest cable modem or DSL connection will be much less frustrating than Hughes.net

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
·Millenicom
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

Contacts at Hughes.

Posted this a while back(but it keeps getting deleted), but for any of you that are having issues that you can't get resolved, contact Corporate using these email contacts.

bbbdc@hughes.net
executivecustomercare@hughes.net
william.smouse@hns.com (office of president).

Hope these help and someone can make use of them.

(these were posted on other sites including facebook, but HUGHES keeps deleting them).

Review by JJG3 See Profile

• Location: US
Bad "Ripoff and almost impossible to cancel"

·Cox HSI
My father ordered hughesnet a few months before he died. He was making bad decisions, very confused all the time, and they happily took his business.

Once he died, it took dozens of calls to get them to explain how to cancel the account. After faxing his death certificate twice, they still couldn't find it. When I got through to Account Management, they told me "we used to ask for death certificates, but that was too stressful for our customers, so now we just look up obituaries online. I see that your father died, so I will start the cancellation process." So they didn't need a fax at all.

One part of the company not talking to the other. And no true interest in customer service. Just horrible all around.

Comments:

Esme

Is a nightmare!!

They expensive! Snd bad lie do much talk real fast take advantage of people that don't know much. I had a slow internet but Internet all the time. They charge a lot and most of the time you have no service! They just charge my son never faild a class before now he did and he have to go out of his house to do homework!!!! When I paying a lot for my single mom budget! And get nothing. Help help how legally get rid oc them? They don't care. Customer service hardly speak English!

tgilbert

@172.56.11.x

liers

They took money out of my account 40 dollars and they never gave it back

Sanchi

@sbcglobal.net

Bad Mistake!

OMG, BELIEVE THE ABOVE- IT'S ALL TRUE! And this was all before it was even installed. Advertising free installation, then some SOB (salesman) takes a $50 fee. Calls it a "leasing fee". Still trying to get back my $. I'm so grateful I cancelled while I still could.

Review by goneanddidit See Profile

• Location: Waco,Mclennan,TX
Bad "ALMOST AS BAD AS WILDBLUE!"
Overall "EVERYTHING IN SALES PITCH IS A LIE"
Mail,DNS,News:

Got the GEN4, promised 2mbs upload speed: get .35mbs. Call Customer Service spent 2 hours on Phone and 1.5 of it was on hold. The "Tech" was not an American and so hard to understand. I will all but scream at someone who is thinking of getting Hughesnet (or WildBlue). Hughes net is a prime example of what an Internet Company should not be like! I have Customer Service on speed dial I have to call them so often! I do a system check before calling them and be damned if they ask me to do it again even after I inform them of what procedures I have already taken. Dsl in general is the only thing i found that makes living outside of town a headache.

Comments:
Cybercycle

join:2012-12-23
united state
·HughesNet Satell..

Are you within your 30 day trial period?

Your comments imply that you have experience with using another satellite ISP, so you understand its limitations. If your issues are so bad, then you might want to cancel service if you are within your 30 day trial period. You also imply that you may have DSL available? If so, that is the service you should seriously consider switching to...

Leah

@qwest.net

Hughes Net is a scam

WORST COMPANY AND CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!!!! See the following:
Hughes Net
To whom it may concern,
We started your service on July 29,2013. We were told we would get 10 gig plan with 5 meg per second and the person on the phone said it would be more then enough for us. We not only started service but paid $345.77 to pay for the equipment. In August we called back and let them know that the speed was not fast enough. 1. They told us our equipment was bad, but they never replaced it. 2. They told us if we went to 20 gig plan we would get faster service, which they never mentioned to us the first time. 3. They offered us the 20 gig at the same price as the 10 gig. Later they raised the price and when we called to find out why they said the lower price was only for 3 months. We were never told that.
We have called several times since and talked to several people. I am on the phone right now. We started our call at 10:03am and it is now 11:22am. My husband started talking to someone who passed him on to a manager who said his name was Randy Johnson. I asked to speak to his supervisor and he passed me on to Aurther Garcia. Aurther said he was Randy's supervisor but his title was the same. I asked to speak with Aurther's supervisor and he said he does not know who that is. Why is that?? At this point I am very upset!!!
1. I want our money back that we paid for the equipment of $345.77
2. I want the equipment removed from our house.
3. I want out of this contract with out being charged a fee.

The equipment has never worked for us. I keep getting the runaround by several members of your staff. We were told we could cancel in 30 days and when we tried, you said you would give us faster speed and more gigs. Your company has been fraudulent, and unethical and I need you to make this right for me. The service is poor and does not work for us.

I will be expecting an email or phone call, by upper management next week.

Leah D

jim1000

hughesnet customer service

I have attempted to view my invoices for over a year. have not been able to because they stop me at the invoice site. I have called numerous times and heard every excuse in the book. this is one of the sorriest companies I have ever had dealings with. they have no customer service at all and lie to you continually. I spent over an hour on the phone with them again today and was told again the problem was fixed. another lie. it isn't

valkrider53

Hughesnet

Giant ripoff they lie and steal from you ! Do not give them your credit card under any conditions ! There should be a class action lawsuit coming soon.
Expand your moderator at work

AngieD

@107.77.64.x

Re: Hughesnet

They already lost a class action lawsuit. I got a whole $5 back.

Review by GoodMoGo See Profile

• Location: Fayetteville,Washington,AR
Good "Absolutely nothing (occasional internet if you don't have other options)"
Bad "Service quality, value, customer support."
Overall "Use at your own risk, and only if you don't want to write snail mail letters."
Mail,DNS,News:

Several different accounts (I work for a major University) with different plans. Lowest plan is a Professional Plus.
Order and install were problem free.
Various HN700S and HN9000 + My routers.
They change static IPs without notice, tech support does not understand what "port forwarding" or "static IP" means other than "that's in your plan, sir". From this basic information I can only properly describe them and their service as a bunch of mentally handicapped monkeys (not apes).

Comments:

Review by Patty K See Profile

• Location: Denver,Adams,CO
Good "None"
Bad "Costly data usage, service down and slow if not down"
Overall "Awful service, worse support"
Mail,DNS,News:

I moved recently and Hughesnet was the only service provider that I could get in the Denver area that I moved to. I am a systems admin and need to work from home occasionally which is impossible using this service. Things are bad when you can go to the local Starbucks and get better service than you can at home. I am using the HT 1100 modem at this location. When you turn your computer on in the morning and log into their system usage interface you will notice that just turning your machine on will result in a usage of 250MB. You cannot browse the internet let alone download anything. Data downloaded during their "Bonus Time" is sometimes taken against your normal usage. After having this service for 1 month I am ready to give them the boot. Threatened to call and still just might get the Better Business Bureau involved in this too as I cannot get any intelligent response out of their support. All I hear is " I understand" (NO THEY DON'T!), wishing their own service on the employees and especially the CEO. That is the worst thing that I can think of for the people behind this company, making them live with their own service! After calling their support 2-4 times per week I am willing to deal with using my phone as a hot spot for service and continuing to go to Starbucks to work when necessary as this service is truly unusable for anything more than the most basic of internet connections and God help you if you decide to look at ANY web pages. My mother, my Aunt and I have been calling Comcast begging for them to run a line down East 64th Avenue in Denver so we can get decent service. I pray that they will as I have never had service this bad and at this point am willing to go back to nothing as opposed to continuing to pay Hughesnet for this. I feel totally ripped off and violated.

Comments:

NeverAgain

@velocity.net

Horrible

Don't waste your money! I can't believe I paid money for this service. The speeds are a joke, the price is crazy and when I tried to get rid of it, after paying the early cancellation fee they reactivated my account and started charging me again after 3 months. This is a total scam, don't do it, you are better off going to sit in the McDonalds parking lot and leeching off their WIFI.

Review by genlee See Profile

• Location: 54631-0008
Overall "Don't do it you will regret it"
Mail,DNS,News:

I haven't been with HughesNet very long 1 month and 13 days and it has cost me over over 200.00 the 1st month was only 54.07 and the next 13 days cost me 125.00 and I cancelled it today and now they said that I will still owe them an additional 48.02 I only purchased 1 bonus token during this time and had to up the service plan twice within this time I did not know anything about "Data Usage" and boy did I find out fast. We stream media through different devices throughout our home and movies, music, and I have a small PC repair business that I am constantly online getting patches, software, etc. for doing my business. Well needless to say I did work on a lot of the PCs during this time they were always limiting my usage I found it easier to go to a free wi-fi business to do my business. By the way the 125.00 was for 14 days of service no bonus time or anything. Stay away from Hughes if you can.

Comments:

Faye

Hughes net sucks!

I've had it for almost two years and I can't wait until the contract is up. I had dial up before and this is just as SLOW! At 90.00 some dollars a month I call it highway robbery! My sister has internet through com cast and most of the time I have to go to her house if I need to update anything, and with hers it only takes a second or two. I live back in the sticks and at the time besides dial up this was my only option. Im sure there is something else out there now that I can get if not dial up is a lot cheaper, and it's just as fast!!

Review by irongiant See Profile

• Location: Standish,Arenac,MI
Good "loosing your internet is a sign of bad weather take shelter."
Bad "its slow at night and weekends"
Overall "I wouldn't recommend it"
Mail,DNS,News:

Comments:

Review by bkaub007 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,Franklin,KS
Good "Its internet...i guess?"
Bad "Horribly slow, ridiculous ping (1000), insulting data limits"
Overall "Wish there was another option..."
Mail,DNS,News:

We have one of the best possible home internet packages, which is about $80 per month. NOT the newer "Gen4" junk. Installation went fine. Tech support is iffy at times.

We have had hughesnet for about 6 years, and before this year we have tolerated it. Now that more people are living in my household, there is a much greater need for internet access, and Hughesnet cannot keep up. You can watch videos, up until you exceed the FAP anyway. But download speed is ridiculously slow, 96% of other connections in the US are faster than Hughesnet. Granted, that we do not have one of the newer Hughesnet plans, which just sacrifice data allowance for speed.

I wish there was another option for us, even if it is only marginally better. We have looked at Millenicom, Broadbandq, and other options, but these are either overpriced or have ignorant data allowances. If anyone happens to have any other ideas, please feel free to comment. But it really appears that there isn't really a decent rural internet option for us.

Comments:

oldman

@162.72.184.x

Try Wildblue

I had Hughes Net for 5 years and was really frustrated with the speeds and the daily data allowance. If I wanted to download an update for a game or my ps3 I would run out of my daily data allowance before the update could finish.
I checked out Wildblue and they have no daily data allowance. They have a monthly data allowance of up to 25 GB. They are much faster than Hughes Net and their customer service has been very good so far. I have been with them for 2 years now and am satisfied. The only thing that I wish they had was a plan with unlimited data for online gaming.

vic226

Re: Try Wildblue

hi their so we have hughes net and are data goes very slow every day we got tokens but they dont seen to work . is this wildblue really work .

Review by Bravo10 See Profile

• Location: La Joya,Socorro,NM
Good "If all else Fails!"
Bad "Everything ~ The WORST!"
Overall "Don't believe a word they say!"
Mail,DNS,News:

I've been reading all the Horror stories about HughsNet, and all I have to say is I've been with them when they were called DirecPC. That's when we had a one way Sat. connection for (I think Upload) and Landline for (I think Download).
I Beta tested both Software and Hardware, and for that I got all equiptment free. I think this was close to 18 years ago, and now that I am one of there customers and no sign of DSL or Cable in the near future, me and my ole DW6000 will just hang out until it burns up! I refuse to upgrade and dealing with unprofessional people in all departments of there service oft times makes me want to back to Dial UP!

I live on the High Mesa of New Mexico and while the wondrous views off sets my issues with Hughes. I wonder why no one has ever called the FCC about how HughesNet does business? I read last month that the FCC just jumped on ComCast for ramping back speeds, and they had to pay fines and fix the issue....(please correct that if I'm wrong!)

So can't the FCC jump in here, if enough people complain, or am I just hanging on a greasy rope.
If someone out there can shed some light on this, hay jump on in...

So I remain in a what we refer to out here as the BLACK HOLE... no DSL, no Cable, no Wi Fi, only Satellite!
So in closing the old saying holds true... "Buyer Beware!"

EDIT:
OK! Now it's 2013 (10 years Later) and I finally was able to get wireless and leave Hughes Net were it belongs, in the trash. And that my friends was a true task as they attempted continued Charges on my Auto Pay. Soooo, not wanting to get anymore stressed out then I was, I just called my CC Company and told them I disputed the charges and to stop all payments to this company, and the reason for it. They did better then that, not only had all charges stopped but they got back my monies taken buy this dead beat company took!

So folks stay away from this Company, if you can't get highspeed or Broadband just be patient and never stop looking for it in your area, keep checking the small Ma & Pa ISP's that are springing up! It's not worth dealing with HughesNet who have raked up Billions of dollars on the backs of the rural consumer!

And by the way, since I owned all the eqiptment, I may try and sell it, or if I can't, I think I'll make the Dish into a Bird Bath..... HA!

KEEP THE FAITH

Comments:

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
·Frontier Communi..

You know..

.. I bet you that your DW6000 never DID go bad. Before we had to get rid of our HN7000 we experienced lots of horrid speeds and the modem was even making electrical sounds (this was all in the time when Gen4 went into play) and so we thought it was our modem so we bought an entire new modem (HN7000) and did that cure the problems? no but the electrical sounds went away. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the dish itself, signal, cable or anything else.

If we could dump hughesnet we would do it today. Been with hughes now for just about 8 years and what can i say its been not so much a pleasure doing business with stinky old hugesnet.. Their stuff like CS and service is getting worse by the way. I hope the rot in h*** when we finally get rid of them, they have a big bunch of unhappy customers.
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password

Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

anitabsmith

Huges net customer service

I have been trying for nearly a month to get the folks to fix certain portals in websites that won't load. I have to have these nasty people because of school.I have called and called and still the problem persists. This is effecting my grades dearly and I am on the verge of getting a lawyer to get out of the contract and find something else. I pay out the nose for something that is slow and unreliable. These people need to be shut down. I am on very unhappy customer.

stupidhughes

hughes suxxxxxx

I dumped hughesnet to the curb and Got virgin mobile hotspot. Very pleased and cheaper. At&t and Verizon has a hotspot to. If you have service with a cell phone at your house than these hotspots will work.

Janine

Re: hughes suxxxxxx

I have had a portable Verizon modem for about 7 years, getting it is the best thing I ever did. I have internet where ever I go. The modem is about the size of a large lighter...I don't smoke, but I couldn't think of anything else to describe the size...maybe a little bigger than one of my son's hot wheel cars. It plugs into the usb port and you have internet. 5 Gigs for about $59, then $10 for each additional gig. We had hughesnet installed last year when my daughter moved back home...the only good thing about hughes is that they seem to be a little more merciful when it comes to extra usage...they are slower. Today I'm online using the modem to see why hughesnet suddenly stopped working. I thought it would be faster to see if anyone else has posted a hugesnet internet failure, than to call them myself and get the usual "I don't know how to do my job" type of responses. I agree with everyone else...don't go with hughesnet.

dw

@direcpc.com
Sorry to be uneducated...can you explain what a hotspot is? I am rural America. My only option for internet is satellite or dialup if it's even available. thanks

Installer

@rr.com

Re: Huges net customer service

you need a new modem. They wont admit it, but for one reason or another modems will not access certain ISP's. Most common with AOL.
erico2002006

join:2013-11-22
United State

Terribly Bad Service

I am on this right now....and it really suck right now..............

glynndtcw

@direcpc.com

Hughesnet a waist of good money

Got hughesnet last month , the meter to keep track of usage would not download and work properly..
It showed it was great until I over used then quit while the meter showed full green.. Total bill after taxes 108.00 + and you get very little for that . It's a corporate greed machine ripping off rural people
A lot of money for very limited usage time and signal into home seems to come in waves. Hughesnet is a ripoff plain and simple !

Ripped off

@direcway.com

Re: Hughesnet a waist of good money

i forced to use it couple years but i got 3G / AT&T and for the first time i am able to view YouTube. Hughes couldn't handle it!!!

Review by brightbreeze See Profile

• Location: Cascade,Cascade,MT
Good "Sales pitch was good. The sales rep was untruthful though. "
Bad "System is super slow. Does not support equipment I had in place, and HughesNet contract is a lock. Customer service guy was a JA"
Overall "Fortunately, I lost my Verizon service and gained AT&T 4G. In a year I will ditch HughesNet when contract expires. "
Mail,DNS,News:

I don't have a lot of options where I live. Prior to having Hughs Net, I had Wild Blue service which was better. Wild Blue at least supported my Verizon booster equipment for telephone. The HughesNet representative convinced me that his system would be much better. What he had told me about was the Gen4 System that was not yet in place when I had my HughsNet system installed. He told me that it would be a free upgrade as of January 1, 2013. My system was installed November 2012. When January 1st of 2013 rolled around, I contacted HughesNet and they told me it was not a free upgrade. Unfortunately I was locked into a two-year contract already. When I asked about getting the upgrade they told me it would start a new contract period. When I explained that their representative told me that the Gen4 upgrade was supposed to be free, they told me they were sorry but it was not free. So the only option I would have would be to pay more money, and get the upgrade. Having already been lied to, I was not willing to do that. So I am just paying my monthly bill, until November 2014. Customer service with HughesNet has not been good. Fortunately for me, there was a big fallout between Verizon wireless and AT&T - something regarding bandwidth use. At any rate, Verizon was no longer able to use AT&T towers. I had Verizon wireless, but was forced to switch to AT&T. Verizon was great about letting my contract go since they could no longer provide service where I live - unlike HughesNet customer service. Now I have 4G! The 4G works at least three times better possibly four times better than my HughesNet system. So in November 2014 I will go all the way with AT&T 4G. I was just fortunate to have had AT&T move into the neighborhood. HughesNet customer service is very poor and I won't even contact them again until my contract expires so I can cancel my (lack of) service with them. The customer service representative was not friendly at all. I used to work for Hughes aircraft Corporation in California, things must have been very different back in those days. All I can say is that HughesNet should be full of shame. It's a huge waste of money.

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

gmolony

@bellsouth.net

Same Experience

Unfortunately, I had the same experience. We live in a very rural area and at the time it was all we could get. Your comments about customer service and the contract were right on. Very expensive for what you get. We finally got dsl (very slow .5mbs but at least it is unlimited). When I first signed up I bought the equipment from HughesNet and understood I could get a refund when I left and turned it in. Not True. I ended up buying out the contract and throwing the equipment in the woods. It is an absolute last resort!