HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by Pesimist See Profile

• Location: Valley,Chambers,AL
Good "Connection speed on ProPlus of 1200/155 only in the AM (EST). Fine if you don't use Hughes in the afternoons or evenings,"
Bad "Customer service from India & Can't reach upper levels of tech support"
Overall "If you want to blow money for substandard service - Go with Hughes or stay with Dial up."

·AT&T Southeast
Wow, 5-years since I dumped this crooked outfit, still visit the Hughes forums here frequently. Feel very sorry for those that don't have any alternate.

30 January 2008 - Bye Bye Hughes!

January 2008 (7-months with Hughes)
Well...All good things come and go, in this case the good was my original downloads of 1.1 - 1.2Mbps, which are now a thing of the past. I'm on the "ProPlus" 1.5Mbps/200kbps plan.
January 26th, 04:30PM - 268/26 kbps
January 25th, 08:23PM - 56/7 kbps
January 24th, 09:06PM - 331/7 kbps
January 23rd, 06:38PM - 81/26 kbps
January 22nd, 07:59PM - 63/19 kbps
January 21st, 07:41PM - 537/7 kbps

Speedtests after 9PM couldn't be accomplished, uploads went to zero (0), as well as my internet connection.

Comments:

scottymead

·HughesNet Satell..

I have more options

I have more options such has Frontier and Time Warner, but choose HugheNet for my internet, I haven't had any issues with my service, I am not a gamer, or one that watches movies off of netflix, I just do normal everyday stuff and it has always worked just fine, my speed tests have always been decent (5Mbps+)

Maybe I dont notice any issues because typically the hours im using it is between 11pm and 7am and here and there during the day.

Review by erossmus

• Location: King George,King George,VA
Good "none"
Bad "incompetence"
Overall "Don't go down that rabbit hole"
Mail,DNS,News:

HN7000s svc. failed. Repair order reportedly cancelled by me. Got talked into upgrade to gen 4. Installer defied Hughes install agreement and wanted $125 to poke holes in my roof as though that were my only option. Cancelled the account and Hughes calls a week later, spoke to a very sympathetic lady from Missouri who offered free install on mast, upgrade to gen 4 no contract. Pretty good deal, she gave the 800 # in case it took more than 2 days for install to get scheduled. Called on day 3: no install order in system. All she did was re-activate the billing account and tack on a $30.00 re-activation fee.

(review was emailed from domain hughes.net)

Comments:
rulds

join:2011-07-30
·DSL EXTREME
·Cox HSI

FOr the lack of a better word insane.

Should you have learned your lesson the first time I would give my sympathy. You need to call her back and tell her to forget it. You don't got anything installed so there should not be any reactive account.

They legally cannot charge you for something you are not getting or I am missing something here?

Also I hope you were not expecting a wall fish or something like that. Yeah I would charge you $150.00 as well to climb a ladder and point a dish and drill holes because the house is already built your going to have exposed wire tacked down as well. You got to understand a couple things here.

1. The installer may be 3rd party making 30 bucks for the install whilst the company gets the other 70 or more percent for there pockets.

2. The vehicle they run is private meaning gas and insurance these people are 1099's that are trying to put dinner on the table for there families.

3. Should you not want the service why did you call?

So that sales person called you back thinking you were already installed to lock in that sale... Now you want a tripod and wall fish? For 150 or for free? No way.

The geeks were right
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

Re: FOr the lack of a better word insane.

This guy is within Verizon's 4G LTE.

Coverage map for his zip code : 22485
Shows Verizon 4G LTe & Extended.

Millenicom is a prepaid provider 20GB on Verizon's Network / 50GB on Sprints.
For 50$ he should give it a shot.

And no I don't work for millenicom,just trying to help out people with crap sat.

Review by bzmingus

• Location: Byron,Ogle,IL
Good "better than dial up"
Bad "Trouble with HTTPS, worst customer service EVER. IN HISTORY. I mean EVERy"
Overall "STAY AWAY"
Mail,DNS,News:

Got Hughes.net 5/31/11 under the recovery act. Very hard to find useful, relevant information about the recovery act. But Hughes.net offered it with no install fee, and no contract. 15. Mbps down, something like 256K up, but up didn't count against usage. Started at I think $50 bucks a month, all told. By the 3/1/2103 it was up to 65$.

Considering what I upgraded from (DIAL-UP) it was pretty good. But it was not reliable. Modem needed to be reset probably once or twice a week. Did not always play well with my wireless router. Fast? Well, faster than dial up. 1.5 Mbps means 1.5Mbs at best, and best means once in a blue moon. Most of the time, it was more like 256-500K. I could watch YouTube, if i let it buffer half way first. Netflix? No way.

A year or so after I got it, they went to a new 'bank' system, which would automatically carry over your unused bandwidth for each day (my plan was 250 MB per day) to the next day, with a max of two days (500MB) in the bank.Even with this, I ran out of bandwidth on a regular basis, and had to purchase a renewal token ($5 each, 3 for $12.50). Each one good for 250 Mb. That was my own deal, I knew the limit when I signed up, I don;t hold that against them.

The worst part, the deal breaker, was that Hughes.net has trouble with secure web pages (pages that start with ») Not always, but when trouble happened, it shut them down. All of them. Completely. For us that meant no online banking, no online class access, no bill pay. Pretty much nothing except IMDB and Weather.com.

Long story short, I decided to upgrade to Gen4. Until i looked in to it. I discovered that under Gen4, there would no longer be a FAP free zone. (Currently 2-7am) And under Gen4 all traffic would count, download AND upload. True they offered 'bonus bytes' which make it sound like you are getting twice as much bandwidth, but really what it meant was 'no more FAP free time. Now FAP free time is limited to your bonus bytes, and if you use all them up, we will take the bytes out of your regular bandwidth. Plus they would charge me 250 bucks to upgrade. (Free for new customers though)

So I looked in to Exede by WildBlue. Still 250 bucks to install, but that would include the modem lease for two years( $10 a month) So I cancelled the Gen4 upgrade and went with Exede.

When I called to cancel Hughes.net, I called six time over a three day period. Six times!!! And I got hung up on by hughes.net. SIX TIMES! When i finally did talk to them to cancel, they offered me a FREE MONTH of Hughes.net if I would stay! Once i got them to understand that i did not want their service anymore, they agreed to cancel it, they told me it would take effect in thirty days. Wait, i said. you're saying i already paid for the next month? When did that happen? Today, he says. WHAT??? They hung up on me for THREE days, then BILLED me for the next month. No thank you very much. Finally argued the charge back off and they cancelled the service. Then he let me know that if i changed my mind and reactivated my service, there would be a $25 dollar reactivation fee. HA HA HA HA HA

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by pistachionut See Profile

• Location: Waverly,Wood,WV
Good "Rural availability"
Bad "Download Cap, Price"
Overall "Satisfactory alternative, do your research"
Mail,DNS,News:

UPDATE: 3-10-13

Just streamed a VOD HD movie through DirecTV last night, didn't stutter once. Yeah it eats a large chunk of the monthly allowance but I was impressed. Just another testament about how far satellite internet has come over the years.

Dec. 8, 2012:

Decided it was time to update this as the original review was many years old and hinged from the initial days of the 7000 series service. Currently using Gen4.

Satellite service is demonized but if you know what you are getting into with some research then your expectations wont be ridiculous.

Is this comparable to Fiber Based? No. Is this comparable to Cable Based? No. Is this comparable to DSL based? No. Is this comparable to Cell Based? Loosely.

Satellite is considered as a last resort service, and it is marketed as such by the companies themselves. If you live in town and get pissed at your cable/phone provider, this is not your solution.

First, it is expensive. Plans generally range from $50.00 to $130.00, depending on if you bundle with a satellite TV provider, speeds wanted and data allowance...and that cost is pre-tax and pre-lease. These guys are just like your cable and phone companies. They advertise one price but hide the actual price in modem lease and other bogus fees. So plan on your final cost being 10-15 dollars higher than the advertised price.

Second, latency is not your friend. If you are reading this and frequently visit this site then you are probably more tech savvy than the average Internet user and know exactly what I mean. Pings are going to range from 750 to 2000+ consistently. Good for online gaming? No. Good for VOIP phone? No. Skype? No. You get the idea (compare to fiber/cable/dsl where good pings can be 40 or lower).

Third, you'll be agreeing to a contract (24 months)...UNLESS you want to pay substantially more for your intial hookup and purchase your equipment. Last I checked Hughes still offered this method and it would drop the 10 dollars a month lease off your monthly bill.

Fourth, data allowance. Think that cable companies 250 GB cap is ridiculous? Try 20 or 30 gigs, and even that is split between anytime and "bonus bytes" available for use in a 2AM - 8AM window.
Basically the plan I am on gives me a total of 30 gigs. I have 15 gigs to use whenever I please. I have another 15 gigs for use during the 2-8AM window. If I exceed the 15 gig bonus bytes it starts digging into my anytime data. If I hit all 30 GB 10 days into my current month, tough cookies. I either deal with the drastic speed reduction til reset or I can purchase restore tokens for some extra data allowance. While not crazy expensive, they are still a slap on the face for what little data you get for the price.

Fifth, speed. My currently download speed SHOULD be 12mb down. Do I get this speed? Rarely, if ever. Speeds range from 150K to 10M in my speed tests so far. But they are consistently higher that what I received on the 7000 and 9000 series.

Just sounds horrible, right? Why on earth would you ever get this monstrosity?? Lets explain some good stuff.

First, while expensive it is cheaper than ever before. Initial startup costs can be virtually zero dollars with mail-in rebates and "ever present" sales. The first time I installed satellite it cost over $400 day one. Now you can get it done for $50 or less.

Second, latency. While the pings are high, they are better. So far on GEN4 im seeing pings staying below 1000, whereas before it was usually above 1000 and often 2000.

Fourth, data allowance. They aren't great, but they have improved. You are getting more data for the price now, and the adoption of tokens is a good, if expensive, way to still use your service if you accidentallly download that huge file because you left your computer on overnight, etc. There was a time this was not an option (you hit the cap? too bad - deal with it till the reset)

Fifth, speed. They are higher, and more consistent, and work better with the newer technology. My first satellite connection was 500k, now it is 12M, there was a time I thought Id never get these speeds.

Basically people do your research and set realistic expectations with satellite internet service. It has its niche and place, and If you understand what it is and what it's for you wont come on here and give it a 0% review because you thought it was like cable/fiber/dsl when you moved from the city to the country.

One last thing. And this is a pro, remember that super derecho back in late June, did massive damage and all that. My satellite was still working. Didnt have to wait on the utlities to fix thousands of miles of lines.

Comments:

scottymead

impressed

I as well am impressed with Hughes Net I have never had issues with the service. About a month ago I downloaded Windows 8 and the download only took 25 minutes for 2GB

• Location: Siler,Whitley,KY
Overall "hughesnet gen 4 worst ever"
Mail,DNS,News:

ok were do i start??? i reacttavte my service call them ask the full amount they told me so i payed it.

my bill isnt due till 4-27-13,so the page pops up and says my service is interruppted ,so i call they say i need to pay a hundred 25 dollars now for this page to go away and fo rme to use the service again!and my bill isnt due for a nother 20 days ,,what a bunch of crap this guy was saying,,,,,,and the service really sucks slow all the time,,bill always high,,and they always tell you a bunch of crap on the phone.

wish i never installed this gen 4 .

i just dont undersatnd how you have to pay your bill every 2 or 3 weeks to have internet?

well that what he was saying.

ive pay them a lot of money and they just want more.

another 125 dollars wene i planily called them and ask what was the full amount of the bill i need to pay and they told me excatly the amount now there saying 2 weeks later that we need to pay 125 now for our service to work for 20 more days wene our bill is due the 27 ,gen4 and hughes net can kiss my @#$ i aint giving them more money its to high NOW..o well il just get wildblue or some other service .

maybe they isnt as bad as gen 4... i no my typing sucks but so do hughes net gen 4 two............

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

lol

I have no idea what you wrote lol , cancel them get verizon LTE or something.

admin123

@myvzw.com

Re: lol

I understand him satellite sucks .

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter
I'm going to guess is there was an extra charge for install or expensive fluids for the executives bowel cleansing, so since Hughesnet could not access the funds via a credit card or auto bank withdrawal, they cut his service and put up a pay window.

A lot of services are 'pay for the month ahead' , so the company can try to ensure no loss of revenue from billing issues.

HOODSTR

Hughesnet. sucks

IT IS NOT JUST as easy as cancelling and getting somebody else. they lock you into a 24 month contract & overcharge you at will. You will not get an English speaking person on the phone to discuss. You will not get ANYONE on the phone for over 40 minutes of wait time. You will be told by this non-english speaking person that they will resolve the problem and they do not. You will be told you will get an email and you do not. Then they will CHARGE YOU AGAIN!! This company is a grand scam & their service is the WORST!! If you are in the country, you don't have a lot of providers to choose from.

Review by diablo1892 See Profile

• Location: Rockville,Hanover,VA
Good "Good speeds with the Gen4"
Bad "poor costumer service and connection (due to high latency)"
Overall "Really a big improvement from 7000 to HT1000, could'nt be happier"

·Frontier Communi..
I don't consider broadband nor even recommend anyone getting it...

We WERE to order the very last one, the one that's business packages BUT they never gave us it... They gave us a lamb package and now we have this so called "download allowance meter" ..

The install process? well the guy got the dish installed and had already got his laptop hocked up just to be sure that its operational but after dish installation, he layed there on the roof talking to his wife...

Not sure what the brand nor the equipment he used but i do know the brand of the Hughes net receiver: HN7000S and for the switch its: D-link also with a WI-FI modem...

Well as far as me TRYING to play on far cry 2 Multiplayer I think that tells me enough.. Tons of lag and more than enough weird stuff happening while game play..

This would be my second time reviewing this provider.. What you see above is back when I had the HN7000 edition, I am now using the Gen4 HT1000. Still using the WiFi as provided above (same with switch) .. Got the upgrade in november, we were forced to upgrade cause the speed on the old modem just completely died one day, modem started making weird noises so we traded in for another and brand new one.. Well that did'nt do anything, speeds were still dead, could not download or upload anything and ever since we made the upgrade we'v been getting hammered lately with Gen4 invitations. The max speed that i seen Gen4 do was 1.5mb/s and thats really good but sadly it's not what we're paying for however it will work for us.

We're still paying the same price as we did with HN7000 ($110/month) so can't really complain on that. The allowance is wayyyyyy bigger and a little stressful than the old 500mb, now we're able to download bigger amounts of files, tokens are up to 2x cheeper than the old ones, for a 500mb token on the old you would pay $10 for just one but with the new you can get two 500mb tokens with $10 so they are definitely cheaper.

Most of the bugs have been worked out of the system so far but if your wanting to get it I suggest waiting it out for a couple more months, hughes is trying to get there email provider, allowance and token restoration up and working correctly. But I must say its really a big improvement.

Comments:

Review by will23 See Profile

• Location: Dutchtown,Cape Girardeau,MO
Good "You have great speeds till you hit your limit."
Bad "The speeds are unbareable when you hit your limit."
Overall "It just isn't worth it for those that stream movies everyday."
Mail,DNS,News:

Well I decided to get it because I was just tired of a slow 1.3Mbps connection being split. So I decided to sign up with hughesnet. I got their basic package and everything was going perfectly for the first two weeks. Only issue was that the service went down a few times and in the rain it was in degraded condition. After the 2 weeks all of a sudden the limit went down rapidly and got to zero in a day or 2. Thing is that for the 2 weeks I had it the download meter kept resetting each night to 100%. Then all of a sudden it was being drained as if you poked several holes in a water bottle with a nail. If it would have kept resetting daily I would have been fine with it. But with this .2Mbps connection it just isn't worth it especially since it is split to 2 computers. Thing was when I signed up the sales told me it would be at least 1Mbps if the limit was met. Then later when it was met they said it should be .5Mbps. I have just been getting told false information left and right ever since I have signed up. Also they told me I would get 1GB reset tokens each month and it was really only 500MBs. They said they would give me another 500MB reset token because of being told falsely but I haven't seen it yet. I would rather have a service that stays steady through the month instead of getting really fast and going down to unusable after 2 weeks. I hope this helps someone that is looking to sign up. As in the end they really aren't worth it unless you have it on one computer and don't really look at 1-2 videos each day.

Comments:
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

All i can say

You should have read feedback here before signing up with those crooks.If you try to cancel they are going to take hundreds of $ from your CC and not likely you will get it back.Their way of saying thanks for giving us your CC #

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

Cancel the card before they bill it.

CANCEL THAT CREDIT CARD NOW! LOL

Review by TexasMusic See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Lee,TX
Good "Nothing. Absolutely nothing."
Bad "Equipment, network, tech support, pricing, reliability. Other than that....."
Mail,DNS,News:

I'm not a person who writes public reviews, but HughesNet has been so consistently awful that they've earned this one.

We've had them since 2005 at our home in rural Texas when they were the only option available for service. The network has, in our experience, *always* been slow, fragile and poorly serviced. When the network was actually functioning, no matter how carefully we monitored our usage, no matter how literally impossible it was to have exceeded our bandwidth, we would constantly trip the brake on our account, requiring another pointless call to India to service people who didn't care and could do nothing to address the problems. By way of qualification here, we don't do any online gaming, watch online video only rarely and never got in the habit of downloading much music because we've never had good enough Internet service to do so but still managed to somehow be put in a position where we were hustled to buy tokens to get back the service we were never receiving in the first place.

Customer service calls usually involve long waits to talk to a marginal English speaker who is obviously reading from a list of prepared responses and it usually took multiple calls like this to get bumped up to someone who actually had the knowledge and authority to address our issues. The one service visit from one of their contractors was mostly about pressuring us to upgrade to the newer service at a significant price hike. The very strong overall impression was "We don't have any competitors in your area and don't have to do any better than this."

The SAT service that has replaced HughesNet has been everything HughesNet isn't. Customer service is based in America, the installation tech was here within 48 hours of the initial call to sales and the speed of the network is beyond anything we have ever received from HughesNet in the last 8 years. I also don't have to reboot their receiver unit several times a day unlike the receiver unit we got from HughesNet.

I would gladly, happily join in on *any* class action lawsuit against HughesNet now or at any time in the future for breach of contract because, well, because they've earned that kind of contempt. If you're contemplating HughesNet for Internet service, do yourself a big favor and look into mobile hotspots or one of the newer services like Exede instead of putting yourself in a position to be as disgusted and angry with HughesNet as I am within a year of starting service with them.

Comments:

Matt

@verizon.net

Unreliability and no customer service

My wife ordered Hughesnet yesterday and after speaking with a friend, He told me the service was shit. It lagged and he quit them. Well, when the installers contacted me, I told them to put off our appt. because I'm cancelling my order. I've tried multiple calls and their wait time is "approximately less than 8 minutes." No answer for either of the 3 calls. So, I tried to start a chat with one of their representatives. No response there. I sent them an email just now and am wondering how much assistance I'm going to get with cancelling an order.

Customer1

@direcway.com

Re: Unreliability and no customer service

No worries! The installer is the one who submits the final completed order and from there on you will be billed. Since you cancelled the install, you should not be billed.

zeep

@myvzw.com

Re: Unreliability and no customer service--HughesNet Gen4

I agree! Gen4 was installed about 3 months ago and worked OK up till one week ago. We have been down nearly all the time since and cannot get a truthful answer from them about resolution. I was told that we would get credited for the down time. We will see.

Alaskanr

@gci.net

Hughsnet

We had Hughsnet for the last 4 years because that's the only thing that was available. The speed has never been fast. Customer service is poor. You get about 475mb, give or take, of download a day, which is their highest plan. Then when you've exceeded your limit, you can buy tokens. This is a huge pain. We spend way too much time (a couple hours each time) on the phone with customer service trying to figure out why it's so slow when we have 100% allowance for the day. The poor guy in India has no clue. Being in rural Alaska our phone service sometimes will disconnect without warning. Their customer service would not take a call back number, making it so we would have to call back and wait for someone else and explain our problem a second time. Now that we have another internet service provider in the area, we are canceling our service with Hughsnet......Not as easy as it sounds. Hughsnet requires us to fax a letter and than call back in three days to verbally cancel. WHAT!? I asked them if we could scan email, because we no longer have a fax. They said no. I said ok, give me your address to send it to. They said they don't have an address. What!? They don't do what they advertise and they make it difficult to cancel. Stay away from Hughsnet!!!!!

Review by shawnbb See Profile

• Location: Bartlesville,Washington,OK
Good "it is something"
Bad "everything else"
Overall "no other choice... only then"
Mail,DNS,News:

I had this service. It was ALOT of work to even get working, it was over priced, I had to pay extra for installation. ANY weather at all = no service. Ping; 1.5k, Downloads bursty= not good AT ALL for any Online gaming.

FOREIGN CUSTOMER SERVICE/ TECH SUPPORT? YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! No.. Im not kidding.

Only way I got out of this contract was adding it to my bankruptcy claim; the satellite still decorates my rooftop. A reminder that hughesnet=FAIL.

Never tried gen4, but them needing a commercial to talk them up tells me something= if they need a commercial to talk them up, they are worthless.

Comments:

kingtucky

Worthless!

What a joke this service is. I can't wait till the day my contract ends, at which point I will rip the freakin satellite off my house and set it on fire with a Youtube recording for the viewing pleasure of the Hughes Net people. Downloads are slow, and you have "unlimited downloads" only from 11pm-4am. If you watch two 5 minute videos at any other time, and you essentially get punished for using too much download space. If you get "frapped", you have to buy tokens to restore your download, or wait 24 hours for it to restore. If you are super conservative and never actually enjoy your internet, you get a "free" token a month to use in case of getting frapped. If you happen to mysteriously get frapped one morning, you have to call an outsourced hotline at which point you will speak with someone thats somewhere in South Asia. They will inevitably tell you that you exceeded your download allowance, despite the fact you specifically made sure to use high traffic applications like Youtube during the 11pm-4am time period. When you ask for a specific date and time at which your system overloaded, you will be promptly hassled and not given an answer to your question besides "sometime between 10-11pm". You will haggle with the service agent until they get in trouble for taking 5 minutes on an individual call and you will finally get your download back. And you pay $80 minimum for this overwhelming joy of an internet service! If you can, buy a cable bundle and forget you even thought about Hughes Net at all.

Review by sreilly24590 See Profile

• Location: Scottsville,Albemarle,VA
Good "Sometimes better than dialup"
Bad "Poor tech support, high cost, lousy speeds regardless of modem or plan"
Overall "Try anything else if available"
Mail,DNS,News:

I've been using Direcway now Hughes for almost 6 years and have upgraded modems over that time. Service was good at first but speeds have slowed to almost dialup for the past 6 months. Upgraded to the HNS7000 modem as well as plan and was told to expect better performance. The net result has been higher cost and slower speeds. Tech support is over seas and seems mostly scripted. Problems are the same with each call and redundant answers not resulting in any improvement. Due to contract terms, you can get locked into a nightmare without any recourse. If you really need high speed and can't get anything else, beware. It may run fine for some time but the overall experience I've had is terrible. I guess the catch phrase is "speeds up to" which can be 1 kbps to, in my case 1.5 mbps, which I have never seen. Best performace was when I had the old two way modems but that was long ago. I'm sorry to say that this is a poor service and I can't wait till Broadband over Powerlines comes to my neck of the woods.

After 10 years of waiting we finally got DSL from Centurylink, was Sprint, and at a fraction of the cost. Faster speeds greater bandwidth, varying results. Seems we need to reboot the modem from time to time to get our speeds back. Cost wise I'm saving money for a change. Anytime you can save 50-60$ a month and get better service it's a plus. A big thanks to Centurylink for working hard to serve this small switch and getting us the DSL we've been waiting for for so long.

Comments:

scottymead

Speed

I must be the only one with really good speed, for example.. Yesterday evening I downloaded Windows 8 from Microsoft.com and its a 2gb download and it only took 25 minutes.

Sorry to hear that you and others dont have same quality of service.
mbslk32

join:2013-02-13
San Andreas, CA

Re: Speed

you must be living in the city

Elvira

@sbcglobal.net

down line

Since the small rural areas use the same lines you might want to ask Alamede where the line is down. They told the customers they will not fix the downed line. So beware there are downed lines that are not being fixed because they do not have repairmen to fix them. I hope that helps you out