HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by sreilly24590 See Profile

• Location: Scottsville,Albemarle,VA
Good "Sometimes better than dialup"
Bad "Poor tech support, high cost, lousy speeds regardless of modem or plan"
Overall "Try anything else if available"
Mail,DNS,News:

I've been using Direcway now Hughes for almost 6 years and have upgraded modems over that time. Service was good at first but speeds have slowed to almost dialup for the past 6 months. Upgraded to the HNS7000 modem as well as plan and was told to expect better performance. The net result has been higher cost and slower speeds. Tech support is over seas and seems mostly scripted. Problems are the same with each call and redundant answers not resulting in any improvement. Due to contract terms, you can get locked into a nightmare without any recourse. If you really need high speed and can't get anything else, beware. It may run fine for some time but the overall experience I've had is terrible. I guess the catch phrase is "speeds up to" which can be 1 kbps to, in my case 1.5 mbps, which I have never seen. Best performace was when I had the old two way modems but that was long ago. I'm sorry to say that this is a poor service and I can't wait till Broadband over Powerlines comes to my neck of the woods.

After 10 years of waiting we finally got DSL from Centurylink, was Sprint, and at a fraction of the cost. Faster speeds greater bandwidth, varying results. Seems we need to reboot the modem from time to time to get our speeds back. Cost wise I'm saving money for a change. Anytime you can save 50-60$ a month and get better service it's a plus. A big thanks to Centurylink for working hard to serve this small switch and getting us the DSL we've been waiting for for so long.

Comments:

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID

Speed

I must be the only one with really good speed, for example.. Yesterday evening I downloaded Windows 8 from Microsoft.com and its a 2gb download and it only took 25 minutes.

Sorry to hear that you and others dont have same quality of service.
mbslk32

join:2013-02-13
San Andreas, CA

Re: Speed

you must be living in the city

Elvira

@sbcglobal.net

down line

Since the small rural areas use the same lines you might want to ask Alamede where the line is down. They told the customers they will not fix the downed line. So beware there are downed lines that are not being fixed because they do not have repairmen to fix them. I hope that helps you out

Review by Hughessuck01 See Profile

• Location: Garden Valley,El Dorado,CA
Bad "GARBAGE DONT GET IT GEN 4 CAUTION SCAM"
Mail,DNS,News:

This company is the worst get dial up its way faster than Gen 4. Sales people lied about everything. This Gen 4 hughs stuff is the worst so slow wont do anything the said. If your in your 30 days cancel asap what a joke. Liers all of them service is the worst!

Comments:

Review by Piggie See Profile

• Location: Fort Mc Coy,Marion,FL
Good "Few any more"
Bad "FAP lasts 24 hours if you exceed your bucket"
Overall "This is currently the last resort of even the satellite companies. For some with their new policy, dial up still works as good."

·Windstream
I just left Hughes.net today, Nov 30, 2006 for Windstream DSL.
I would suggest to anyone satellite that only has an option of slow dialup, in the 28.8 range. Anyone on fast dialup I am not sure what to tell you to do.

The three things I will not miss about Hughes.net.
1) FAP and Latency
2) Customer Service, equalled only by HP as the worst it can be then some, awful.
3) The price. I went from $70/month for Pro to $30/month for 3mbps DSL on Windstream.

Update May 2007 after the new FAP policy.

If I were you on a modem that could hit 43K or so, stay with that.
Their FAP policy is now totally user abusive. 24 hours of no internet if you exceed your allotment. Way way too big a penalty to be put on a user.
Their customer service continues to get worse, reading the forum since I left Hughes.

Now with the new FAP, the $60 account is about worthless. You need to consider a bigger account and if you can afford it, get the 1.2M dish and a business account.

Hughes is now so bad, it should be considered the worst ISP in the United States.

This is not only because of the new FAP, but when they changed it, they didn't inform one single user to be careful because after a 1/3 of your allotment you will be penalized with lower refill rates, nor did they tell people they were going to get 24 hours without internet until it happened to them.

Horrible way to run your customer service , just terrible.

Last thought. Had I still been on Hughes, when this new FAP started, I would have gone back to a second phone line and dialup, I kid you not.

Comments:

Sidney

@windstream.net

Hughes net in 2013

It looks like most of these comments are from 2007-08. We also previously had Hughes net at about that time and they were horrible! We now have Windstream -- the worst of the worst ever. We are getting kilobyte downloads and uploads. We've been knocked off the net 100 times in 2 weeks. We've filed a complaint with the FCC and the state PRC and discovered they have no power over ISPs for consumers -- there are NO regs for ISPs for consumers. Have been working with our Senator here in NM for over a year and making slow headway. The last communication from Windstream even suggested we look into satellite --the one with which they are connected -- Dish network.
Please let me know what Hughes is like now in January 2013. Thanks a bunch!

Piggie
I Actually use Windstream
join:2005-11-23
Orange Springs, FL

Re: Hughes net in 2013

No idea, I left them in 2006. Windstream here isn't totally as bad as many places. I get .8 to 1.5 M at night on a 3m service. Still that is better than being on satellite.

dixieland

@direcway.com
i have considered upgrading to Gen. 4 , at the moment we have the cheap hughesnet package. if we try to watch 3 u tube videos in an afternoon we loose half our download speed. not sure what to do .

Jasmin Mendo

@direcway.com
I just had the satellite set up today and only 10 mins after. i couldn't get online, the basic service is only up to 989 kbps..so slow i cant even post this comment without any interruptions. the basic plan is 39.99 plus 9 rental fee..i think this company is a ripped off and have a worse customer service. every time i call, i'm on hold for 20-30 mins!!

rockyhorses3

@direcway.com
Just a reply about Hughes net. It's Jan. 2013 and Hughes hasn't improved at all from what I'm reading. I don't know technical talk, just that I keep getting messages on my computer about lost satellite signals, and no internet connection, even tho it says I do. Calling customer support is nothing but a bunch of apologies and suggestions to turn off the modem and restart, which I've done several times. I can't wait until my contract is up!!

Chi sha

@knology.net

worst service ever experienced

July 2012 when I got the service they said you can try for free if you don't like it you will get the full refund . Dial up is better than this, I called after two weeks,cancelled the service , ask for refund ,they told me to wait two weeks , I mailed all their equipment but never received the money back lost $400.00.

Kitykat70

@getty.edu

Run as fast as you can

This is horrible servivce.. Not only was I told "guarentted that I would get a min of 5MPS and 1mps upload. My bank was debited $160 without my persmission. I authoriezed a one time fee of $40 at time of set up but never authorized my acct to be auto deducted for any other charges monthly or otherwise. I even verified with sales person that this was a one time deduction and that I would be billed later.. A week into the service I decided to cancel I was informed by the manager VIctor that he was not going to give me a refund even thought they fraudulently took money from my acct he was refusing to give me a full refund. Now I am out $190 for Shitty service that I had for literaly 7 days and am getting ready to head to there legal dept.
DO NOT USE THEM THEY WILL SCREW YOU OUT OF MONEY AND OFFER YOU BAD SERVICE
and they have the nerve to ask you if you want an upgrade ..

Review by dwsilver See Profile

• Location: Perkins,Payne,OK
Bad "Beware! Do not give them a credit card #"
Overall "You do not want to get involved with this company. It is a fraud."
Mail,DNS,News:

Beware of HughesNet. I fell for their 'totally free for a month's trial' offer. I did not know they had charged my credit card over $200 immediately. Now I am stuck trying to get a refund. First, you will be on hold for around an hour. Then they will tell you that it was a third party that set it up and you have to call them. They will give you what is supposed to be the third party's phone number, but it will be a bogus number. I know this because I spent a second hour on hold and was given a different number to call--also a bogus number. The third time I called, and waited another half hour, I was told they would transfer me to the department that could process the refund. She said please hold while i transfer you, and then hung up. They may be fast, but you really end up paying for their false advertising.

Comments:

Lamp

@mycingular.net

Hughes net trickery

»www.midlandsconnect.com/m/news/s···JICS3NFo

• Location: Rochester,Strafford,NH
Bad "price, tech support, speed, frequent loss of connection, difficulty ending service"
Overall "beware of this company"
Mail,DNS,News:

HughesNet satellite broadband cost me over $80/month and never worked properly. It was slow and frequently lost connection. The solution from tech services was to connect my laptop to the modem to change the standard channel. This got to be a daily ritual. When I finally had enough and changed providers, I spent almost an hour on the phone trying to discontinue service. After finally being successful, I received a subsequent call offering a $35/month discount; made me wonder why I was paying so much more for over 2 years. The ultimate insult was that a box was sent to me so that I could return their equipment. Unfortunately, it required that I climb on the roof and remove the radio from the satellite disk. They indicated that this might be dangerous and that I might want to hire an uninstaller at a couple of hundred dollars. The letter with the box was threatening in tone. "If you fail to return the equipment to us within the specified time, we will charge your account an Unreturned Equipment Fee of $300." Also, "failure to return the modem and radio transmitter to Hughes, or to pay the applicable Unreturned Equipment Fee, may result in serious consequences to you, as Hughes may elect to report this incident to credit reporting agencies and to pursue any available legal remedies." Friendly company! Another protracted phone conversation with them resulted finally, after special offers of $100 and $50 uninstallation fees, and after my threatening to call the Better Business Bureau and my lawyer, with a divorce with no uninstallation fee. Most people that don't have a dogged determination not to get screwed would have given up and paid to have their equipment uninstalled when that is HughesNet's responsibility. Stay clear of dealing with this company.

(review was emailed from domain peoplepc.com)

Comments:

Review by Heh213 See Profile

• Location: New Cuyama,Santa Barbara,CA
Good "Much faster than dial up in areas with otherwise no connection, Always on Connection, FAP is improving somewhat, 5Hour free zone"
Bad "FAP is hard to deal with, latency, expensive."
Overall "Better than nothing, preferable data plan compared to other Sat providers"
Mail,DNS,News:

If you come to HughesNet from a _real_ broadband connection you'll be disappointed. It's not unlimited, the caps are low, and the latency rules out many online activities including most gaming and makes web surfing sluggish in comparison.

Sat is an improvement compared to dial up, the alternative internet solution in most areas where you'd even consider it.

The FAP can be hard to deal with; you have to change your habits drastically. You have to do your best to make sure nothing automatically updates outside of the free period, and otherwise barely use your connection, at least on the lower tier of service.

Web pages might take a bit to show up, but they usually will eventually.

To be honest it's painful, but it's the best you've got.

OK some positives:

It's an always on service, mostly reliable. The connection doesn't drop out completely too frequently.

As painful as it feels going off of faster internet, it'll display a page much faster than dial up would.

The FAP is somewhat improving, making it easier to deal with.

Other Thoughts:

1Mbps plan, 200MB data Daily. (Get faster speeds while downloading usually)

The new Sat they just launched should change things up a bit, but we'll have to see once it's in operation.

UPDATE: Service has gotten even worse than ussual, and the Gen4 plans are terrible and lots of people have had trouble with them.

Exede12 is pretty decent however the caps are still low considering the speed. but it does have a free zone.

Still stuck on my HN9000 sadly.

Comments:

greg

RIP OFF!

Anyone reading this considering getting hughes net DONT!
It only gives you 250mb to download a month but we only get a certain number kb!
It gets all up in your buisness about gaming and the costumer service
HA!
JUST DONT GET HUGHES NET!

compuguybna

Re: RIP OFF!

WRONG!!!!!!

Its 250mb a DAY!!!

said by greg :

Anyone reading this considering getting hughes net DONT!
It gets all up in your buisness about gaming and the costumer service
HA!
JUST DONT GET HUGHES NET!

Tom NC

@direcway.com

RipOffNet (also called Hughesnet)

Had it 2 years it's painful. System crashes, new modems, three service visits and still can't play a game or load a page completely. I just sent a email refusing to pay my bill until this thing works even 50% of the time. I have had bills as high as $190.00. This Jokenet is just that a joke. Stay with dial-up for $14.95/mo. At least you know what your getting.

Liz888

@mycingular.net

SUCKS!!!

We had hughes net before but dish network said it was so much better now. it still sucks as before . it waste of money and time. can't even liaten to music without it buffering . loads pages so slow. FALSE ADVERTISEMENT !!! I'm so calling before 30 days are up !!!

rippedoff

@sbcglobal.net

Re: SUCKS!!!

OK, so your calling to cancel before the time is up.
I hate to tell you but here is where you'll find out about how bad your about to be screwed.
I called and they sent me all new boxes with very well written and clear instructions how to pack the equipment for return. Along with an RMA!

I carefully packed the equipment in the "very nice boxes" as instructed and called them
Soon it was picked up by the shipper and I waited for my money.
When I got the service you had to buy the equipment up front.
About ninety days later I called them and they didn't have a record of me ever being a customer much less the equipment, RMA or anything. So went through hours of phone calls to many people but finally found where the records and started waiting for my money again. About ninety days later I started all over.
After many different numbers I had finally been referred to the original number again and started through the list again. I actually had a running list of numbers they were looping me through.
This time I stayed in contact a couple of times a week instead of letting it drop for ninety days. In about two months UPS showed up at my back door.
They had the boxes of satellite equipment and dropped it off.
Yep they returned the equipment instead of the $600.00 plus they owe me.
When I contacted them they quite firmly told me they don't refund money that I have to get my money from the local dealer who installed my equipment.
I called him and he actually laughed at that idea. I searched all my paper work and found nothing regarding who refunds the money only that if I sent the equipment back in the time limits of the contract I would get a full refund.
After about a year or longer it became quiet clear there is going to be no refund.
I threw in the towel. After all to put in several thousand dollars of work for $600.00 makes no sense.
I moved the boxes to a store room. No not one of those rip off rentals! I noticed the boxes rattled when picked up and moved so I opened them.
Remember I told you I packed the equipment up nice and neat as instructed? Well it came back to me just loosley thrown in the boxes. After the screwing I decided to check things. I opened all the boxes and wrote down the serial numbers. You're going to guess the serial numbers weren't the same as I had originally aren't you?

Hey you win the qupie doll. Not one single serial number matched my records of what I sent back. The only thing I have from the whole rip off is the nice dish. I use it for free to air satellite now. It has better gain than the little eighteen dishes usually used so I get less rain fade.
I hope you get your money back but don't go spend it until you have cashed the check!
The Federal Trade Commission should get down these jerks throat and rip our their hearts.

Review by Cybercycle See Profile

• Location: united state
Good "Better than nothing"
Bad "Expensive, unreliable equipment and service"
Overall "Would not use this service if there was any other choice"
Mail,DNS,News:

I am on the HughesNet Pro+ package (HN9000) that is very expensive for a relatively slow connection measured against a limited daily allowance as defined by their FAP policy. Tech support is horrible with respect to offshore agents that do not understand or speak English…troubleshooting is not effective as all the tier 1 agents I have encountered read scripts without any understanding of my issues, and this often leads to long hold times or hang-ups without any solutions to the problem. My equipment was installed in 2008 and is now obsolete per Hughenet. So, when I had an equipment failure, they would not offer a repair solution, but instead wanted me to upgrade to their Gen4 system! I found a source for the broken hardware and repaired it myself. I am out of contract and will switch to another provider as soon as one becomes available in my area.

Comments:

Review by cathyrwilburn

• Location: Oxford,Lafayette,MS

I would advise against Hughes Net! The service was not connected properly to start with. When we swithced to another service we discovered this was part of why the internet didin't work most of the time. Connection Reliability is horrible. Pricing is outrageous. Customer service is the worst!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by Tweakbl See Profile

• Location: Rosedale,Gilmer,WV
Good "The Speed,Faster then Dialup,slower then Copper/Fiber"
Bad "Their service,you got to keep after them to get something done."
Overall "If Dial up is your only option Hughesnet is the best provider."

*****Updated - 12/11/2012*****

Updating my Review. Not to much has changed. Hughes has moved some Support personnel to the U.S.A. which is a good thing. However they still have support over seas. (Understand to that Hughesnet is Global and employ tons of folks from MANY different countries.) Indeed some of the most Brilliant Technicians are Employed by Hughesnet.

Gen4 has been released. Which promises faster speeds. However you will not have Freetime (2am to 7am) like you would on the Older Plans.You may wanna do as much research and educate yourself, before you leap. (like with anything)
Instead Hughesnet is rolling with a 10 Gig during Daylight (Anytime) 10 Gig during Nightime (Bonusbytes) type plan. OR a 10x2=20gig type plan. (Some plans are different on Total Bucket size.15x2 or 20x2 for example)
Gen4 promises to bring faster speeds. And indeed it is faster.

Most of my problems have been addressed with Hughesnet as far as Tokens and a Download meter are concerned,which is a more recent service that they now offer.

Also of issue is Field service installers that do less then what Hughesnet wants them to do in regards to Hooking you up,Improper grounding and such.

Service department has improved a little...maybe the practice of speaking english has helped them.
I was away for about a year and basically forfeited my contract.$250 later for early termination,I am back and hooked up on the 7000's system via the Obama stimulus plan.No 9000 for me,but the 7000's seems to get it all done just as good.

Tokens are now available and are purchasable for those that FAP out (Yeah it stand for Fair Access Policy or F.A.P.) This is Mega handy.
They now have a Download manager available for the limitations of Hughesnet.
They now have a usage meter to for you to avoid the FAP.

Its still NOT DSL over landline,the limitations are still there,(Latency and Usage Limits),but it is a bit more tolerable with the proper tools and knowledge.
You CAN play World Of Warcraft on this connection but the latency is up and down alot.
You will NOT Youtube or watch your Porn (Just to put it out there) with it without problems.Not a media streaming connection by any means until 2am to 7 am for the free period.

You have to be smart and plan your downloads accordingly,as it is a shared connection,more so then a land based type of connection.

If your interested in Hughesnet. You can go over here and talk at the folks in this forum to help get you started. »community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics

Also hit up the forum here for questions and answers. »HughesNet Satellite

Comments:

j hughes

terrible hughesnet service

I completely agree with the negative comments about Hughes net satellite service. I have been a customer for the past 3 yrs and my service has never been what it was advertised to be. They claim download and upload speeds that dont even come close to what they charge you for. In fact, I received a letter in the mail about a class-action lawsuit over the very same issue. I am switching to Exceed soon and I will do 4 speed tests from different providers to verify their speed. If it isn't what they claim it is, they will pack up their junk and get if off my property. Hughes net has burned me good and I am no longer a fool to claims on internet speeds. If you need customer service, good luck with that as well. You will need a translator to understand the foreign accent their technicians speak with. I not asking for the full download or upload speeds, but I will not settle for any less than 70% of what Exceed claims to offer. Whatever you do, do not get Hughes Net Satellite service for any reason. You will be much better off with dial up service because that is the speed you will probably get and the price will be far more reasonable.

Review by chuckandtamm See Profile

• Location: Union City,Erie,PA
Good " the install was the only good so far............"
Bad "speeds,tech support online and phone calls..."
Overall "they must just want your money because they dont deliver the goods in any way...."
Mail,DNS,News:

hughesnet gen4 upgrade? i thought i was upgrading my service but boy was i wrong. i purchased the 15/2 plan. the speeds arn't even in the ball park of what they advertise. i understand they don't guarantee anything but this is ridiculas. i've called them 3 times and was on hold over an hour each time. for some reason it would'nt let me pay my bill. on phone for 1 hour 11 minutes and tech could'nt figure it out. finally i got tired and said i had to go and the idiot would'nt shut up so i hung up. i even sent a message to the f.c.c and they wrote a letter and said they don't cover satilite internet. i'm beyond mad. my download speed got to 6.99mbps a couple times and upload .49 was the highest and the speeds are all over the place. you contact hughesnet and they will blame it on your equipment,so i took my computer to my sons house and his dsl works great. is there anyone that can do something about them. what they told me before the upgrade were mostly lies. write know i want and need faster upload speed some of the problems i've had to figure out on my own my monthly charges are 99.99 plus 9.99 lease fee for total of 109.98................