HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by joshuamiller6 See Profile

• Location: Arbovale,Pocahontas,WV
Good "Speed"
Bad "Unreliable, Shoddy Tech Support, Expensive"
Overall "Only if you have no other option."
Mail,DNS,News:

DirecWay is fast for downloads and the guy that installed it was knowledgable and friendly. That's the last nice thing you'll hear from me on DirecWay

DirecWay is unreliable, the upload speeds are typically slower than good dial-up, it's overpriced, the DNS server is shoddy at best, the Fair Access Policy is anything but fair for the cost, the tech support sucks and when there are problems with the network they do everything they can to make you think it's on your end even when you both know better.

I've had over 30 days of no service out of the 8 months I've been a DirecWay customer. I've logged over 7 hours with tech support on 15 separate instances (I keep a log). They charge you State Tax for Internet Access which is Non-Taxable in the US. (Hardware is taxable, access is NOT). When their transponder broke and I couldn't get online they sent me an email to let me know how to get back online. I then had to buy a new modem to make a 1 minute call to re-run the setup software because their transponder broke and I had to switch.

Basically, if you can get Cable, DSL, Microwave, Wireless or anything that's faster than Dial-Up then do it. Even ISDN would be better because you can download as much as you need at 128K - that's better than 100MB a day at 400K. If you meter your bandwidth to keep from getting FAPed then you actually get around 45K with DirecWay.

How ironic, I've been tyring to submit this review for 15 minutes while the Satellite connection goes up and down. Can't connect to the NOC. Been sitting on hold for Tech Support for 10 minutes now with no answer - probably another 10 to go. Typical.

Bottom Line (again) - only if you have to. If you can get anything else do it.

Comments:

Review by dougs455 See Profile

• Location: Omaha,Douglas,NE
Good "better than dial up"
Bad "three times the cost of cable"
Overall "very poor reliabilty"
Mail,DNS,News:

I move to a new home a few months ago under the impression that cable was available in my area.(coax coming out of the wall from previous owner) Little did I know it was the reminants of an old satelite system. My cable company I had before at my old house (5 miles away) said I was too far from town to get their service. So I had no choice but to live with dial up. On day while watching my Direct TV I noticed an add for DirectWay satelite service. I called and had it installed and running within a week. A few notes on the install: The installer arrived 3 hours late but did call beforehand to notify me. He had an old raggidy van the leaked antifreeze and gas. He arived with minimal tools and no ladder. I let him borrow my small ladder to get on the roof...he placed it on top of his van cuz it was too short. After the equipment was installed he came in the house and sat on my sofa waiting for me to get off the phone.(long distance military friend) The software setup was easy but I didnt have service till the next day. You need a 56k modem installed to do the Websetup program. It wont work if you dont. I didnt have a modem coming from cable so I had to go buy one. Everything was cool for about a month...(400 down 40 up like the advertise). Since the install I have had to reinstall the software 3 time because its proxy server wont stay running=no conection. I have constant 1500 ping times so no gaming. They limit the bandwith so greatly that I have problems down loading files greater than 150 meg. If i could SERIOUSLY I would pay twice what I pay now for my old cable service.

Very dissatisfied customer

member for 14.5 years, 126 visits, last login: 5.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by tkulp See Profile

• Location: Boles,Scott,AR
Good "24/7 connection - when not raining, snowing or knocked out by radar detectors"
Bad "FAP that is less then Fair or in keeping with their own policy"
Overall "If I had it to do over again I would stay with Netzero and 3.5c/min. phone card"
Mail,DNS,News:

I am located where I pay long distance to call the police, fire station... or any other place of importance. Our monthly phone, bill without any long distance or extra services, is close to $50.

I had visions of netphone, email, etc. reducing long distance charges along with radio and videos from a broadband 24/7 internet connection.

I had no idea how many mb of data transfer that would required, nor what it meant to be under a FAP policy that is supposed to restrict your usage to a "fair" 169mb per 4hr. time period (42.25mb/hr), but in reality cuts you off most of the time at about 80mb/4hr.

After 3 months of Direcway my recommendation is: If you can get DSL Don't even consider Direcway. If I could direct dial (no long distance charges) Netzero for 9.95/month I would take that over Direcway. If things do not change I am very seriously considering going back to 3.5c/min calling card and Netzero's free 10hr. per month.

According to the following site, that decision to stay with Direcway or not may be made for me in the near future as they are supposedly not doing very well. »www.atnewyork.com/news/article.php/1556381

Think hard and long before you pay $600 for equipment and install and $59.99 per month for poor practical access.

If you just want to read information, look at web pages, bid on ebay, etc. and you don't mind the high price its pretty good.

Comments:

Review by DishMan1 See Profile

• Location: East Lansing,Ingham,MI
Good "Available anywhere, always on, excellent mail servers"
Bad "Performance & reliability directly influenced by weather"
Overall "If you have a "hard" connection option that's not affected by weather, and download a lot of Demos, etc...try a better option."
Mail,DNS,News:

Installation was painless and speedy, performed next day after ordered by cell phone. The next day we received FedEx package with manuals & CDs. I read all the information and familiarized myself with everything.

An installer called to verify the order and make an appointment, then came right out. He installed the dish on the roof, we discussed cable routing desires, and when the coax was finished he installed the double modems, powered up and got it online without apparent burps. We have Hughes SRS Business Edition Basic which advertises a static IP, 5 email accounts, 30 TCP/IP connections, 500MB FAP limit with 56k recovery rate, and compatibility with local LANs.

Had to install modem card and find a usable line to run Websetup which was a little tempramental and had to be run a few times. As the installer was packing up his gear while the last reboot was being performed, we noticed the BSOD ("Blue Screen of Death"). After about half an hour of driver elimination we came up with a combination that loaded OK and we were online. Speed was a big dissapointment, but installer commented that the modems had to "train".

After applying tweaks and tuning everything we get what Hughes advertises, sometimes more but less and less, it appears to be settling on about 700/128.

Any other problems with the service the ISP has no control over so it has no place in this reveiw.

For our money and current non-options available DirecWay is a good choice and we are happy with it. Thank the gods we don't need tech support very often (one call was put on hold for an hour 53 minutes and terminated suddenly, recall was escalated to Tier 2 - who had no clue and advised I call back in 3 days when East Coast Tier 3 offices were open).

When other options become available we will move on with ISPs, satellite is not the solution if you are interested in checking out Demos or something that downloads a lot. (We have 10 children and 23 grandchildren online who like to show off their videos and recordings. We also trade publication proofs tri-monthly with our printer provider). The FAP is unreasonable, we were FAPped after 3 clients accepted Microsoft "push" type updates at nearly the same time. When FAP kicks in you may as well dial up with 56k. Then we have to deal with slow email access and browser complaints from our clients, simply not worth the aggravation. This is our solution for email and browsing, it is not usable for any of our other corporate-dictated tasks.

member for 11.5 years, 179 visits, last login: 10.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by jmunns See Profile

• Location: Raymond,Lancaster,NE
Good "downloads are superfast!"
Bad "uploads and wait times are not reliable"
Overall "If you need reliabilty in service go elsewhere. Price is too high for the quality of service!"
Mail,DNS,News:

We ordered the Direct-Way $ 62.99/mo package that swept our existing ISP DirectDuo into the blackhole with channel 227 DirecTV promising ads that made you starr-eyed and europhic lightening fast and reliable internet broadband service! Once the 31 day wait for service installation was over, our new ISP ripped through the web with lightening fast speeds and performance. WAM, we hit a brick wall and suddenly the reliability of our Direct-Way crashed. We were told that the customer base had increased beyond the capacitity of Direct-Way's servers so our new found love was compromised. Now instead of web success we experienced a 'time-out' nightmare, less than acceptable customer service, which I may add has levels!?! Who has levels to their customer service, obviously Direct-Way does. So after several customer service contacts, with no satisfaction we asked Direct-Way to release us from their service, due to the unreliablity of internet access on their system. Much to my chargrin I only found out that my payment for service to Direct-Way was the binding factor of our written agreement not Direct-Way's responsibility to provide reliable service, albeit I would be given free months of service! I guess the amount of free months you recieve is based upon how much you whine and how loudly. After another heated conversation with Direct-Way I opted to complain to our state's attorney generals office. The AGO corresponded with Direct-Way who after some time passed again contacted me to reiterate that they would not let me out of the contact! I did manage to get two free months of credit but come March 03 we're off to another BB ISP and to greener pastures of reliablity.

BOTTOM LINE: Don't sign-up for the initial roll-out of service no matter how great it sounds, go with the proven product. Your stress-free web surfing will be your reward!

One other point make sure that the installer correctly installs the dish. We had to re-do their job in the winter of 2002, burrrrrrrr.

Comments:

Review by pshafe See Profile

• Location: West Palm Beach,Palm Beach,FL
Good "at time was the only "high" speed option in my neighborhood"
Bad "it was never "high" speed, always dropping out (not weather related)"
Overall "I broke the contract (ate $300) and dial-up is better!"
Mail,DNS,News:

2-way DirectPC is NOT worth the money!!!! Dial-up is better! After 6 months of the service going up and down all day or being terribly slow it finally went completely out and I was told it would be at least 5 days for someone to be onsite....well...I used it for my home office and that was totally unacceptable, other than getting to support, you cannot get to any other person within the company except by email or being transfered by support and it is impossible to get back to the same person for a continuation of conversation. I ate the $300 cancelation fee and dropped the service. Save your money...especially the outrageous installation fees..up to $600!

Comments:

Review by rcalusine See Profile

• Location: Chester,Middlesex,CT
Good ""Blazing speeds".......sometimes"
Bad "Downloads freeze, inconsistent reliability,"
Overall "Last resort over phone modem"
Mail,DNS,News:

Ordered my system as a potential re-seller. Decided I do NOT want to be a re-seller. The speed of bytes is fantastic. The through-put, or quantity of bytes from any given website, through the backbone to the NOC, to the satellite, to my dish suffers sufficiently so as to make the transmission speed a moot point. I can get half a website in the blink of an eye. The other half...or fractions thereof at-a-time? You never know what to expect.

The tech support PEOPLE are really nice. But there's a firewall between the public and Hughes engineering reps who might be able to answer deeper questions. The Website advertises "Blazing Speeds" which does not address what really counts (through-put, as mentioned above).

My downloads average 600Kbs, uplinks average a miserable 12...meaning its sometimes slower. Tech support will not explain why some people creep along at 2-300Kbs while others consistently rip along at 1200 or higher.

Comments:

Review by ExpldngSheep See Profile

• Location: Redlands,San Bernardino,CA
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Great speed after only minor tweaking"
Bad "Service was disconnected"
Overall "Good speed reliable only minor hiccups"
Mail,DNS,News:

What speed did you order:
768/128Kb

at what monthly price?,
$49.99

How was the order/install process?
Order was easy (online) install was easy. I was supposed to get my first month free but was billed for it, I called CS and they took care of it and I actually got an email to let me know they were going to discount my next three months of service. I had to check my bill and I was still billed the normal amount and had to call CS again to get it corrected.

What was the home equipment?,
Westell modem and filters.

Static IP, dynamic IP, or PPPoE
Dyanmic, although I have not had ti change in the 6 months I have had it.

Other bad/good experiences?
My neighbor got their DSL turned off and they disconnected mine at the same time. It took them 4 days to figure out what the problem was, I had to call them several times in that 4 days with the usual 45 minute hold time. After they figured it out they had to treat it like it was a new order because it was phsically disconnected at the box, not sure what moron would disconnect two lines when the order was for one but it happened. So it took 5 more days before it was active again. Since then I have not had a hiccup and I was credited 10 days off my bill.

member for 12.1 years, 152 visits, last login: 10.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by splitech See Profile

• Location: Hartford,Washington,WI
Good "Nice Dish, and Setup thats about it."
Bad "Free Professional Install is UNTRUE, i got charged an extra 100.00 for my free professional install"
Overall "Dont order this service, unless you read many many revies, and are willing for SLOW SLOW UPLOAD"
Mail,DNS,News:

This service of DirecWay, 2 way satellite is HORRIID!!!!!!.. I used to have 1 way. with my dial return system.. I was getting 1.5mb down all the time when i had it mounted my self on my own tripod 400ft from the house working great. I order 2 way satellite, I have the service tech try to setup on my tripod, So he goes ahead, i sign the form for the install free charge. He goes and does his thing. comes back an hour later, says Sir. We can't get direcway all the way out there because the transmitter is not responding.. So i said put in an amp. we tried 1 and even 2 amps in my line to get the transmitter to respond, Still no action .. I had to pay another 100.00 for INSTALL. when the guy had to re-mount my dish on top of the house, now, i live in the woods. and there are trees at least 80-90 ft in the air, and he's got the thing pointed directly in the middle of a maple tree. causiong me to get a bad signal. 63percent, no more no less.. We get the entire system, up and running .. My downloads went from 1.5mb on the 1way system to 200kb down ONLY!!!!! and my upload went from 45kb on my modem, to 9kb on the satellite. Now ive called several several times to complain, EVEN though, DirecWay advertisis. 768down 128up, THIS IS A SCAM!!!!!!!. I am Cancling DirecWay 2-Way This Week, going back to my orrignal setup.

Comments:

Review by themack See Profile

• Location: White Hall,Harford,MD
Good "Better than 24.4 baud modem"
Bad "high cost, limited download per hour, upload horrible, latency"
Overall "it is horrible, but slightly better than 24.4 modem which only other alternative"
Mail,DNS,News:

I don't have this anymore- went to cable finally