HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by brendantai See Profile

• Location: M1V 2E
Good "I was told dat i could use a regular 18 inch dish"
Bad "EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Overall "DON'T GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Mail,DNS,News:

I ordered direcpc in Canada through bellexpressvu (»www.bell.ca) I ordered their sattelite tv and found out they had 2 way sattelite service too. I heard i wuz able to use my regular 18 inch dish .

Next day...

Tech guy came 2 ma house to realign the dish.

Tech guy- It's impossible to align your dish to both sattelites!!! You'll need a 20 inch dish

LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! customer support said i could use 18 inch!!!!!!!!!!
so i had to spend another 129 bucks on an extra dish got ma dish hooked up and received a speed of 20kbps WOW so called 400kbps!!!:(

Called tech support
Tech support ppl- Sorry not our prob

waited a few more dayz and found out the tech guy had not installed the LNB properly and was alignment was not correct!!!
Called tech guy to reinstall it... Still the same
i gunna Cancel it!!!

member for 13.5 years, 30 visits, last login: 12.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by fvelosaanaya See Profile

• Location: Miami Beach,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Its good if its the only thing you cant get"
Bad "FAP sucks but you can trick it!"
Mail,DNS,News:

Direc PC is not the best broadland service at all. but its good if you cant get anything else. I had some problems at the beggining because my receiver was messed up and it kept on freezing my computer up, but i got that solved. I bough it like 3 months ago and the first week i was going to cancel my account because i found out about that FAP thing so when i said i wanted to cancel it they offered me 2 months of free service plus the first month had used for free! so far i got a good connection for free so im happy with it.

About that FAP.... that is easy to trick i mean if you got the OneWay system. If you have the oneway system the only thing you need to do when they slow down your connection is to connect with a different ISP. Besides that FAP helps every one in a way....

i got a signal strength of 80 - 82 and my connection speed is 200k - 250k. 82 signal is the best i can get cause there is a big bulding in front of my sight but i hope that when i move ill get at least 300k.

Comments:

Review by zettl See Profile

• Location: Allen,Collin,TX
Good "Outsourced installation technicians were excellent (company owner came onsite)"
Bad "Within every 24-hour period connection periodically is lost and then re-established."
Overall "Satellite will have to do since we can't get DSL or CableModem."

2-way system professionally installed to SATMAX5, download speed range is 700Kbps-1.1Kbps, upload is 33Kbps-50Kbps, both upload/download throughputs appear to be time of day sensitive. I utilize dedicated gateway PC running Windows 2000 Advanced Server on a PII-400/384Mb/10GB Disk with Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) & DirecWay software version 4.0.1.128, PC appears to hang intermittently when extensive data streams & downloads are occurring, no hangups observed during PC burn-in week after OS install & prior to satellite software installation.

Comments:

Review by raljar See Profile

• Location: Whitesburg,Carroll,GA
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "everything straightforward; no suprises; all internet programs function well"
Bad "only caveat is customer service; slow not knowledgable"
Overall "Best bet in this area"

The order was great arrived within a few days and installation was easy. Lucked out on the tweaking because some friend advised me because his was installed by a technician.

I find the speed (around 1.1 or 1.2 acceptable and consistent.The only hiccup is about once a week I receive a 650 error and I have to unplug the modem and completely turn off the system and then plug in the modem. Annoying yes but simple to perform.

The mail server breaks down occassionally and the newserver could be better but overall I am impressed with the system.

member for 13.5 years, 21 visits, last login: 13.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by Mikeypoo02 See Profile

• Location: Oak Forest,Cook,IL
Good "Yeah, right."
Bad "Somebody green-lighted the whole DirecPC concept."
Overall "Paint a bullseye on the dish."
Mail,DNS,News:

The problems I have had with DirecPC go on and on, so I will try to be as brief as possible.

1. The software wasn't packed with the hardware.
2. I couldn't register for about eight hours because "the server was temporarily down."
3. Tech support is useless. My dog could come up with better solutions than they can.
4. In the four months that it actually worked (somewhat), I had constant problems connecting and staying connected.
5. I found out about FAP after four and a half months.
6. I have had NO SIGNAL since December 10. Nobody can figure out what's wrong with my system, and nobody wants to do anything about it.

My rewards for chosing DirecPC:
1. I have a system that costed $400 to get up, and it doesn't work.
2. I get to spend hours on the phone a day with people who don't want to help me.
3. I get to use a free trial of America Online version 5.0

DirecPC pulls, without a doubt, the biggest marketing scam I have ever seen. They are NOT broadband. They're hardly even 56K. They have lied to myself and others time and time again, and their answers to my problems create no solutions whatsoever. Everybody who is displeased with DirecPC needs to either cancel their service or take some sort of legal action.
Here is what they claim on their Web site: "Mind-blowing speed! Supersonic downloads! Screaming streams! " Everybody who knows anything about the FAP knows that claims like this are a flat-out lie. "Supersonic Downloads" of what?! JPEGs?! Whenever I would get FAP'd, my download speeds would get cut to anywhere from .01 kbps to 2 kbps! That's not exactly "Supersonic," and that isn't exactly "Mind-blowing speed," either.
To sum it up: DirecPC is a huge joke and a huge rip-off.

UPDATE 1/20/02
I forgot to mention this in my initial review. I got FAP'd while downloading the DirecWay version 4.0.0.40 software! How sad is that?

member for 13.1 years, 28 visits, last login: 10.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by WadeHH See Profile

• Location: Hood River,Hood River,OR
Good "Fast downloads when available."
Bad "Not completely reliable. Still in testing phase at times."
Overall "Good product for those with no other alternative. Still better tha Dial-up"
Mail,DNS,News:

I have had a DRS and then 2 SRS systems since June of 01. The product definitley has its flaws but I believe they are starting to pull out of it. Download speeds are good in the evenings here on the Pacific Coast. We also have a system set up at our office that is networked with a mish mash if 12 diferent OS's and it works well.

I have recentlly had DSL installed two days ago (just came avilable 1/1) and it wroks well to but I belive the Direcway system will continue to improve over the next few months and become a reliable product.

Comments:

Review by Raptor_989 See Profile

• Location: South Haven,Van Buren,MI
Good "Very high speed with tweaks. Great browsing and downloads"
Bad "Sometimes wont responds and you must reconnect until it works"
Overall "A very good service that works for me except for the occasional annoyance"
Mail,DNS,News:

This is a great service, i got it about 15-20 days ago and it installed easily and wokrs great. We get a signal of around 55. The only thing that i dont like is sometimes when your browsing, it will all the sudden not recieve data and will give the 'This page cant be displayed message' If this happens you just reconnect and it works for like 40 min until it does it again (if your downloading it rarely happens, just if you let it go and not do anything for several minutes).

FAP isnt really that much of an issue for me, and i download alot. It only happend to me once when i downloaded both medal of honer demos back to back (abour 300 MB). Then it lasted one hour and i was back online

its a good choice.

I also tried it for day of defeat (Mod for half-life) and it works much better than dial up. (Ping around 400 with 32 players). Most other games work much better than dialup also for online games.

member for 13.3 years, 145 visits, last login: 9.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by dadclunk See Profile

• Location: Antioch,Lake,IL
Good "Great speed, few problems and exceptional Tech Suport"
Bad "Not 100% at all times, but it is new, and everything is subject to improvement."
Overall "No regrets over this purchase. Highly recommend it to anyone in a rural area."

I originally installed the one -way system and found it to be so far superior to the phone lines in the Antioch area, that I was first in line to pre-order the Two-way equipment. I had to wait, for installation, as they had not started to install it immediately. When the arrangements had been made with a local installer, everything went like clock work. Naturely with any new technology there is bound to be some start-up problems, but the excellent Tech Support solved each and every one with complete satisfaction. I am always amazed that the Tech's I have spoken to can be so effective over the phone.They are first and formost Knowledgeable, helpful and courteous, at all times day or night.I have written to the direcpc headquarters to be sure they were aware of the very fine people that represent them. I, like I am sure many others, are not exactly computer wizz's, but the Direcpc Tech's surely are. Those of you that are complaining must surely think that you must be the only person on the planet, if you've had to wait, GET REAL! your not!!! DIRECPC'S service far out wieghs any short comings it (may) have. I wouldn't trade it with any other service.

Comments:

Review by avaloncourt See Profile

• Location: Meadville,Crawford,PA
Good "Good alternative to dial-up when there isn't any other option."
Bad "Wrong software originally installed. It can be a bit quirky. Poor upload speeds."
Overall "I'm satisfied now that it is working correctly."
Mail,DNS,News:

I have the Pegasus version of DirecPC (satellite return). Installer was four hours later than the agreed upon time. I had also informed the installer the week before, when arranging for the installation, that I wanted the LNB add-on option to add DirecTV into the same dish. The installer arrived without the add-on kit and hadn't even ordered it. It took another week for him to return to install that onto the DirecPC dish.

The installation went well other than the issues above and that the installer had brought version 4.0.0.24 of the operation software for the system. After one day of use it was absolutely horrible. (constant browser problems, download speeds of around 20k, system lockups and software not communicating properly with the receiver/transmitter). I called Pegasus support and discovered that version should have never been installed due to problems and 4.0.0.36 was the current version. They shipped me the new version.

That same day I called the installer and told him that he installed the wrong software version. He apologized and said that was correct. He said he had received the newer version and brought the wrong one to me. He said he was surprised that I was even able to run under .24. (Why he didn't throw away the old version is a good question.)

After the .36 install everything was ok. I used the registry tweaks here to make adjustments and I tested at around 250-300kbps during high peak times and as high as 3,000kbps during very low use times. I tend to average around 800-1000.

I wasn't overly pleased that Pegasus does not offer software upgrades on their website. That is very inconvenient. DirecPC has software upgrades on their site but specifically states that Pegasus and AOLPlus users are not to use those versions.

Equipment costs were awfully high but I guess that's the price of technology. The proxy system can be a bit quirky at times and I have to turn it off. It does make a huge difference in transfer speed when it's working correctly. Upload speeds are really terrible but most people want download speeds anyhow. I tend to get around 20-40kbps.

I used to have DSL but moved to an area that is barely outside of the allowable range. For some reason the local Telco doesn't use 18,000 as a measurement but rather 15,000. I, unfortunately, was 15,650 feet.

member for 13.1 years, 242 visits, last login: 3.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by DustinCarr See Profile

• Location: Pittstown,Hunterdon,NJ
Good "T3 speed the one time I was able to connect"
Bad "Blatant lying in ads, customer agreement misleading"
Overall "stay away from this one, soon to be Class-action fodder"

Latest update, January 10, 2002:

Transmitter stopped working again. I give up. I am getting my money back now.

Latest update, January 10, 2002:

Earthlink told me to contact installer to get them to increase the isolation. I called installer, they told me that they have to get a work order from Hughes, and gave me the Hughes number to call. I called Hughes, they said they need a work order from Earthlink. Called earthlink, they said it will take a minimum of 4 business days for Hughes to respond to anything, and all they have to do is send one single email to my installer and they would be here tomorrow!

Latest update, January 10, 2002:

After 3 days, I got my call from level 3 technical support. He was purely the middleman between me and the NOC, for some reason customers can't talk to the NOC. They managed to turn my transmitter back on, but now they said that my isolation is too low and I have to get the installer back in. They will no longer give out the isolation value. Meanwhile, things are running smoothly.

While I had the tech on the line, he did say that the FAP limit was 169 MB over 4 days for the home plan, but he was not actually sure what plan they were selling. That FAP limit is still really low, certainly you can not do the things they advertise on the web site with that.

I am willing to give this a chance, despite the pathetic technical support and misleading ads.

Old reveiw:

I can't believe that this service is actually being offered. It is not even at a Beta stage of usability. You get FAP'd after 40 MB of data, and then cut off for 8 to 12 hours. If you call in to technical support, they just make you reboot six times and then escalate it. They don't even know about FAP.

Paid $750 for installation. They said they will refund it, but I don't know how to go about getting my old directv dish back instead of the obtrusive birdbath they left on my roof.

The state's attorney general will definitely get a letter from me. I am collecting all of the advertising info from their web site and the stuff they sent me in the mail. Maybe I can get them for mail fraud as well!

The existence of this company makes me ill.