HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by gregdhayes See Profile

• Location: Versailles,Ripley,IN
Good "None"
Bad "It's not what they advertise"
Overall "Don't Buy It"
Mail,DNS,News:

Earthlink advertises 400K down, 128K up. Try 3 to 60K down and 20K up.

Support is unhelpful (unless you like rebooting your pc). Customer service is rude and unhelpful.

Cancellation policy should be considered illegal. I guess I'll find out.

Comments:

Review by icecube57 See Profile

• Location: Whitesburg,Carroll,GA
Good "Great Speed For Those Who Live Far From Cities"
Bad "Fair Access Policy!! Reduces Speed To A Crawl!!!"
Overall "Great Product When You Have Nothing Else Better!"
Mail,DNS,News:

I ordered the Classic One Way Satellite dish off of ebay for 139.00. It arrived her in a big box. It look pretty hard to install. I had it set up and mounted and ran the cables in less than a hour. The aiming of the dish was hard but i got it done in about 30 min i had a signal strength of about 105-110. At first the speed wasn't all that great. Even with a clean install of the OS and the software i rarely got above 20k-25k(in Internet Explorer Download Tests and Speed Test Sites). I found a site www.speedguide.net installed their patches and i was blazin in the high 85k-105k(in Internet Explorer Download Tests and Speed Test Sites). I found that in file a sharing application (Morpheus) it reached a high of about 265k constant. The Cons of this system is that the Fair acces policy is fair at times and sometimes it just stupid. I download a whole lot of movies and files and the speed on this is awesome but you have to schedule you downloads so you won't get fapped. Its safe to download bout 150mb and download another 150 in about 4 hrs. That's my system. The USB modem installed beautifully without a hitch and the software is easy to use. The modem runs a little hot at times but nothing to worry about. Tech support could be better i find it quite useful when ur really stuck on configuring home networking, ICS, even simple DNS numbers. Latency is a great issue its about 500-800ms but if you use dial up mode it uses your modem and excludes the satellite and this drastically helps alot with a latency of about 150-300ms. Total price of system was about $150. Easy to do a self install for the tech savy. This has been my savor and for the people on here that complain about direcpc maybe you blame your install and the lack of knowledge of what your are doing cause this is an exceedingly great. I use this for Home/Office. Its a shared connection with the other computer in my house. Both used at the same time no lag no slow up even with download. Another downside is that you do need a a second phone line or an existing phone line which brings the cost up by another $20

Comments:

Review by jvienneau See Profile

• Location: Lunenburg,Worcester,MA
Good "Good download speed once your connected and not FAP'd"
Bad "They FAP you (slow you WAY down) if you try to actually USE it!"
Overall "It's a lie, it's not true broadband."
Mail,DNS,News:

It took 45 days to get it working at all. DPC tech support is the worst I've ever dealt with. They are truely clueless about the technology they support. The software is buggy. Getting a new version always adds new problems even if it fixes some old ones. They worst thing is the FAP ("Fair access policy"). If you try to download anything of reasonable size (~100MB) your speed is cut down to slower than modem speeds. If you have ANY other option, don't get DPC/Direc Way/Earthlink/AOL! The state's Attorney General should investigate their claims vs. what they really deliver.

member for 13.2 years, 11 visits, last login: 12.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by bobcat698 See Profile

• Location: Amherst,Portage,WI
Good "Umm... I don't really know, I'll have to research that...... Ummm.. Oh yeah 'Sometimes On' connection."
Bad "High Ping times, Generally unstable, Transmitter 'loses connectivity' frequently, generally service royally sucks"
Overall "If you want a Cheap, Piece Of Junk, Ugly, Unreliable, $430 bird bath, get DirecPC!"
Mail,DNS,News:

I think DirecPC is a great Internet Service is you can't get anything besides dial-up. I had a few problems with slow browsing, but I got a different gateway and now experience 500-600 Kbps all the time! Pointing the satelite is not the easiest, but after you get the signal it is worth the fast connection. Ping times are not the BEST choice at all for gaming as they usually range from 500ms-900ms, but it can be done on a few servers. (NOT QUAKE). If you use a download manager you can get around 200KB down which is pretty decent. The dish was around $149 last year at Bestbuy. I bought the 2 year extended warranty so if the modem dies I can get a new one. I was pondering getting the 2 way system, but with the big speed increase we just got I think I will wait.

UPDATED January 3rd, 2002
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I ordered the Upgrade for DirecPC 2-way in May of 2001. I was told the wait could be as long as 90-120 days. It almost was that long. I got my system installed on August 11th.

Here is my official recap of service:

My Recap of DirecPC Service:
Day 1:
August 11th, Dish is installed & improperly grounded, & LNB cap deal was not installed, because it "Looks Cool Without it".
Poor Speeds, Poor Reliability, Poor everything until August 29th, when I was told my Polarization Isolation was TOO LOW, & that I needed an installer to come out & fix it.
2 way transmission was disabled. I was stuck with one-way CRAPPY service.

September 28th, after waiting ONE MONTH for an installer & living in agony, paying $59.99 for 1-way service,
I got the number to the NOC & went up on the ROOF & pointed the dish myself to NOC specs & got an Isolation of 34.

September 28th-November 1rst, Very bad service, Transmitter goes offline intermittedly for 30 seconds 7-10 times a day.

November 1rst-November 30th:
New Transmitter Modem sent out & replaced.
Transmitter still goes offline intermittedly 7-10 times a day.

November 7th, Installers come out to "Clean Up Install", & Put on LNB cap.
Tell us "Grounding is just fine", & then Re-cross pole the dish at 33 Isolation (remember when I did it myself I got a 34:()

November 7th-November 27th:
My Tier 3 technician decides I need to replace the rest of my dish components, including:
Satellite Receiver (ITU), Microwave Transmitter (OTU), Power Supply, Recieving LNB, etc.

November 27th:
Installers come to install the parts DirecWay sent me.
They install my components on my dish & I install my Reciever modem.
They hook MY modems to THEIR laptop & the DirecPC software gave the error: Transmitter not found.
The installer decides my Transmitter modem is bad & reluctantly gives me one of his for mine in exchange.

November 30th: Transmitter still goes offline intermittedly.
I talked to my Tier 3 guy today & I find out:
I HAVE AN ISOLATION ON MY POLARIZATION OF 26-30!!!!
I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS, I AM AT MY WITS END!
He is going to transfer my case to Maryland & I guess I will be talking to the NOC next week about my system.

To top it off, I find out today that the pipe they "Grounded" my dish to is hooked up to a HUGE PVC pipe underground.
Great Ground, Huh??!!!!
December 1st:
Re-Cross-poled dish again!

I went from a isolation of 30.8 to 33-34.

I am still getting "Transmitter is locking to the receiver carrier" Errors & transmitter goes offline repeatedly!

December 19th, 2001
Switched to 1370 Transponder to fix “Transmitter Going offline intermittedly”.

December 21, 2001: Called Tier 4 because I get NO SIGNAL on 1370 Transponder.
I finally talked a technician into switching my service to SatMex5 instead of Galaxy 11 Satellite.

I have made over 85 calls to Hughes Technical support since August 11th!
I have about 111 notes in my case file.

I hope this review will dissuade other potential buyers of the DirecPC, Earthlink, Pegasus, etc. Satellite Return Systems.

Do not buy it unless you want to spend HOURS on the phone with techless support.

I appreciate comments.

GS

Comments:

Review by camaro327 See Profile

• Location: Bailey,Park,CO
Good "Broadband at 9300 feet! Still very happy!"
Bad "Latency"
Overall "Hey, it's all I can get."
Mail,DNS,News:

UPDATE:

After using DirecPC (classic) for several months, I am still very happy with the service. My download speeds average around 750k since the latest version update. The 750k is consistent no matter what time of day or night. I still have not been hit with the dreaded FAP. Although I don't download lots of MP3s, I do download some shareware software, game patches etc. If no other broadband choice is available, DirecPC is great for casual surfing and occasional downloading and beats my old 28.8 connection by a long shot.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I live 60 miles west of Denver at 9300 feet. Not only is satellite broadband my only current choice, it is my only alternative for the foreseeable future. My CO is over 10 miles away (67000 feet). The current limit for DSL (if the COs up here were equipped) is less than 40000 feet for IDSL loops with electronics.

Even if I could get IDSL, my download speed would be about 1/3 of what I am getting with DirecPC.

I installed the system myself, without a hitch. The instructions and mpeg video on the CD were very clear and concise. I have been connected for about 3 months now. The first week, my average download speed was around 300k. The speed immediately dropped to around 80k during primetime for the next few weeks.

However, as I use MSN as my ISP, I have numerous dial-up numbers available as local calls to Denver. I switched the dial-up number and my download speeds have been consistently between 300k and 500k for the past 2 months (at all times of the day). not sure why that helped? In fact, it is now 8:30p.m.(Mountain), it is currently dumping extremely heavy snow, the dish is packed, and I just tested the download speed at 494K! The slow upload speed and the dreaded FAP do not bother me at all.

My only disappointment is the inherent latency with all satellite systems. Although I was aware of this before I installed DirecPC, I would sure like to be able to run Nascar4 online and dial-up just doesn't cut it either.

Overall, I am just glad to have any type of broadband. As a Covad employee, I was tired of dealing with Telespeed 1.5 all day long only to come home to 28.8k dial up. For anyone living in a remote location with no other broadband choice, I would highly recommend DirecPC.

Comments:

Review by rnummi See Profile

• Location: Glen Burnie,Anne Arundel,MD
Good "Fast, reliable, self-installed, Rocks"
Bad "FAP after 40 MB"
Overall "Outstanding for browsing and small downloads."
Mail,DNS,News:

Bought the white dish dial return system from Best Buy in Glen Burnie. Went home, installed Dish, hooked up DirecTV, called DirecPC, got the appropriate numbers, was on DirecPC in about 1 hour from arriving at home with brand new dish. This was one of the easiest installs around. I've had cable modems (slooowwwww after school). The real downside is the FAP, or "Fair Access Policy" which came about according to Hughes, as a result of the minority of users hogging up the majority of bandwidth by DLing MP3s. After 40 MBs of total DLing, the ISP throttles you back to about .0003Kbps, i.e. you are CUT OFF. While every review in DirecPC mentions this, I'll step up on the soapbox and state without reservation, for pure browsing and minimal DLing this is the BEST. Let me repeat again with emphasis... UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES GET DIRECPC if you are into MP3s, AVIs, etc. You will soon be cursing a blue streak and have a complete understanding of the negative reviews on this board. If however, you can't get DSL or CableModem, you just like to surf at a high rate of speed, you don't download.... THEN BY ALL MEANS GET DIRECPC. You will be completely satisfied. I've dialed in throughout the day, weekends, after school, etc. No noticeable slow-downs. I have a home network w/ 4 PCs hooked in, they all have worked without missing a beat. I would be the first to step up and say if they didn't have the FAP this would be the best ISP experience I've had. WIth the FAP...well let's just say, I don't have access to cable or DSL, when I do, I'll probably switch because of the FAP. Regular browsing? Way way slick.

Comments:

Review by aqela See Profile

• Location: Harbor Beach,Huron,MI
Good "Available Everywhere, Always On, Fast At most times"
Bad "FAP, Instability, Support Denies Many Problems"
Overall "It's great for downloading small files and for people who have no landline broadband"
Mail,DNS,News:

It all started August 14th when I ordered this system as an upgrade to my 3.0 classic dial return system. It took forever for RS&I to find an installer in my area. My system finally got installed on December 4th. The system was cruisin at the time, and I couldn't believe I didn't need my 2nd phone line anymore. Then the weekend after installation, I did a 35 MB download of Midtown Madness 2 Demo, and I got fap'd at 33 MB. I was slown down to a crawl. I called Tech Support and they wouldn't acknowledge that it was FAP. I came to the boards and I saw that this stricter FAP was a major issue. Then came DirecWay 4.0.1.28 software, and ever since I installed that software, my system locks up or reboots at least once every two hours.

I would recommend this system only to people who have no chance of seeing terrestrial broadband in the near future. For anybody who wants to download alot, I would advise you to stay away from this system for now.

member for 13.5 years, 369 visits, last login: 8.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by gkalamon See Profile

• Location: Pottstown,Montgomery,PA
Good "none"
Bad "unreliable Internet connection and slow upload and download speeds"
Overall "hold off on subscribing to DirecPC for Internet access, their satellite network system is not ready for the market"

Dear Internet user(s),

Are you having problems accessing the Internet and e-mail using DirecPC? If so, you're not alone. If you are considering subscribing to DirecPC for your Internet access, I suggest holding off until they have the satellite system running reliably and as advertised.

I've upgraded my DirecPC system to the two-way satellite return system on June 14. The installer left my site without testing the system accessing the Internet. The installer told me he's only responsible for installing the hardware. When he finished the installation, the system didn't work. I couldn't access the Internet. After contacting DirecPC's tech support and the installer's manager, I couldn't get a straight answer. Both the installer and DirecPC were pointing their fingers at each other. Two days later and after spending hours of my time reinstalling the software and trying different software settings on my computer, the system finally started working. However, it wasn't working as DirecPC advertised - "always connected and high-speed access".

From June through August, I had problems accessing the Internet and e-mail. The satellite two-way return system is very unreliable. The system sometimes worked fine or operated slowly or it didn't work at all. The problems were random. Bad weather could not be blamed for this poor performance because this occured on cloudless days.

I've contacted DirecPC's tech support 13 times during those months and they were unable to resolve the reoccurring problems. After spending hours "on hold" and troubleshooting with tech support they admitted that there are problems at the network control center. During the month of August, the systems performance was slower then my 56K dial-up modem.

In conclusion, I've canceled the DirecPC service. I didn't receive the satellite service that was advertized. I feel that the time spent solving problems with the satellite system should be at the expense of DirecPC and not their customers. However, if you like spending your time and money troubleshooting, then maybe the DirecPC satellite system is the right system for you.

I'm now using Verizon DSL. The Verizon DSL service in my area is reliable and the download/upload speeds are faster then the satellite system.

Thanks for reading my report. Good luck!

member for 13.5 years, 53 visits, last login: 11.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by joakes See Profile

• Location: Garfield,Benton,AR
Good "works great after tweaking"
Bad "still dependent on dial up"
Overall "great alternative to dial up, if only other option"
Mail,DNS,News:

I have had classic DirecPC for a few months now. The satellite portion of my connection has been very good, after doing the tweaks I found here on dslreports at »Satellite Forum FAQ. I have a three machine LAN, with an old pc working as just an internet server for the other two, and this set-up works great. I have to supply my own ISP, so my cost per month is rather high ($39.99/mo for sat + $19.99/mo for dial-up). Other than weather factors, which are inherent with any satellite dish, the only real trouble I have is the occasional busy signal when I try to dial up. I get great speeds down, having seen speeds close to 90 (what the browser shows) on downloads. Of course upload is totally dependant on the speed of my dial-up, which is poor in this rural area where I live. The 'Fair Access Policy' that DirecPC has will cause you problems if you try to download more than approx 150 megs in any 24 hour period, but for small downloads, and general surfing, that will never come into play. For anyone who wants broadband and cannot get it any other way, this is worth checking into, but I must stress that the performance before applying the tweaks mentioned above was very poor. Hats off to PetDude for the extremely helpful tweaks.

Comments:

Review by BiggPawpa See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "I was able to get every last dime of my money back."
Bad "It took a letter and phone call by my attorney to get my money back."
Overall "Pegasus Express is a technology not ready for the market."
Mail,DNS,News:

Pegasus...what a company. First they jumped the gun and rolled out a technology way before they had ironed out the bugs. The sales staff had the order botched from the get-go and made so many promises that Pegasus just could not fulfill. They sent me the wrong equipment the first time. When they finally got the equipment here and the technician came for the install, he called to get some coordinates from the company and they kept him on hold for 4 hours!!! It worked nicely for about 6 hours. Then came the ISSUES. Latency is a horrendous problem. Many sites would time out and not even open as a result. Oh yeah...don't plan on having internet access via satellite if you live in an area that has any, and I do mean any clouds in the sky. It totally kills the signal. I could go on for days about the cons of Pegasus Express. To make a long story short, save your time and money and get a DSL. Hopefully you will heed my warning and not have to put a call into your attorney. I was very lucky that it all worked out as well as it did.