HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by book1 See Profile

• Location: Thornville,Perry,OH
Good "none"
Bad "everything"
Overall "Before anyone buys this please talk to me first"

Advertised speed - up to 400kbs
actual speed - 50% of the time - 0, 25% - average of 16kbs, 25% higher

support services - worthless and they lie

The overall service is slower than a 28.8 modem if you take into account the big picture and not just a small text file.

Comments:

Review by kjbeaulieu See Profile

• Location: Peterborough,Hillsborough,NH
Good "Alot of available speed for those with little other choice"
Bad "Not many - inconsistant download speeds"
Overall "Well worth the purchase - have reasonable expectations for the system"
Mail,DNS,News:
(ratings well above consensus)

I recently purchased a house in a fairly remote town - about an hour from the nearest city. We do not have great phones here in the hills of NH, so my modem was getting little better than 21 k at dialup. Having just gotten a new computer, I looked for options for getting a faster connection, and found little choice. The house doesn't have cable, its nowhere near, so cable was out. The phones are run locally, so DSL wasn't an option either, nor ISDN.

I looked into DirecPC and liked what I saw. I purchases almost immediatly, and figured to do the install myself. The house already had a DirecTV dish, so I figured the PC dish would be fine.

Initial packages arrived, but no connection kit (Which I had ordered). I tried to install on the side of my house and could not get anything better than 12 out of 100 in signal strength. Next day I called about the kit and found the company wasnt far (Orbit communications in Mass) So I zipped down and got the stuff and took a crack later that night.

No avail - I got so fed up, I hired a professional installer to finish the job. Seems I wasn't taking into account the trees in the yard and was aiming into them.

The service has been very, very reliable - relativly fast (although this varies from 40K -170k) and much better than a dialup. I am only using the one way system - dial return - so my upload is still slow.

MORAL: I am very pleased with the service, the equipment, and the speed - considering the lack of alternatives. This has allowed me some aspects of broadband in an area that would normally be excluded for a long time to come. - Also, I don't blame the need to hire a pro installer on the system, just my lack of experience with the requirements of installing.

You have to understand what a dish system is going to give you - good to great downloads - average uploads, and poor ping times. Its built into the system. Having accepted that, the system works great.

Comments:

Review by not quite right See Profile

• Location: Puyallup,Pierce,WA
Good "It's Cheap! available almost everywhere."
Bad "flakey And unreliable!"
Overall "Its better than dial-up! (not much!)"

·Vonage
I thought I was getting DSL,so I recently sold my AOL+ system. Well the DSL thing fell thru (THANKS ALOT MSN-QWEST!)So on 8-16-01 I purchased a new plus system and installed it. Guess what? Bad modem right out of the box!Everything would work fine if you would go in and refresh the usb receiver drivers,untill you shut the pc down. Then the next time you'd boot up you get the prompt that it wasn't communicating with the satellite dish,and check your hardware configuration.(long story short )After 4 phone calls to tech. support (I've never uninstalled & reinstalled the same software so many times in my life!)I said enough of this crap and called a 5th time for them to decommission the modem (or so I thought). I then took the modem back and swapped it for a new one.

Came home did a fresh install of software...went to activate..prompted that dpc server discovered a error & to try again later...I tried 6 more times went to bed...got up in the AM tried 5 more times... called tech support only to find out they had no record of my 5th call to decommission my old modem, and thats the problem with me activating my new one (WELL DUH!)...so give me all the info that we lost,wait 3 days,uninstall & reinstall the software is all I can get out them.I asked if they could just call Hughes NO!...OK can your supervisor call Hughes..NO!..can I call Hughes..NO!..Why not?..wait 3 days,uninstall & reinstall the software!..Well if I had bought a new Directv receiver all I would have to do is call and give them the access card # and BAM the thing would work,whats the difference?..Please wait 3 days,uninstall & reinstall the software...I think you get the point (god I thought people made up this kind of stuff up!)

Anyhow THANKS for letting me vent (My wife thinks its funny that I put so much effort & money into something that hardly ever works right.) I'm just so livid about this f*****g Bleep..Bleep..Bleep..Bleep..Bleep..Bleep..situtaion right now,and the inability to get anything done about it!

uuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhgggggggg!!!!!!OK Much better!

Comments:

Review by ccrouter See Profile

• Location: Florence,Ravalli,MT
Good "Always on does not tie up telephone good download speed for rural area"
Bad "upload speed is not always useable for FTP everything else is good"
Overall "I will keep my satellite and hope for upload improvement."

I started with a 14.4 modem on AOL They proceeded to plug my POOR connection
with most junk you can imagine this is unforgivable their pricing was never reasonable. Next I went to a 28 k local ISP that was better and I didn't miss the junk mail. after upgrading to 56k modem on local ISP I was able to achieve better
speed from 28k to 49k then I went to a one way satellite that was the best service
I have ever had of course my uploads stayed at 21 to 28K but downloads were
amazing. With the two way system it is in and out sometimes I get very fast
downloads but the uploads stink I can do much better with a modem because the
proxy server tangles everything and the straight upload doesn't seem to work either. I have hopes eventually being able to use netmeeting or other chat
programs over the internet till then I will keep my telephone and cell phone
by my computer for when I really need to know something or talk to my family.
I live in a remote location in Montana's Bitterroot Valley.

Comments:

Review by nomalakg See Profile

• Location: Horsham,Montgomery,PA
Good "none"
Bad "loss of Internet access, slow, lots of time spent troubleshooting with tech support"
Overall "DirecPC is an unreliable and unstable Internet service provider"

Dear DirecPC users,

If you are having problems with Internet access using Hughes Network Systems DirecPC, I suggest that you contact the FCC (Federal Communications Commission). DirecPC users know that the DirecPC satellite system is unreliable, unstable and not ready to serve the public market. Hughes Network Systems is wasting subscribed DirecPC users time and money.

The FCC has the power to suspend or revoke the satellite operation license that maybe granted to Hughes Network Systems DirecPC. The FCC can shut down DirecPC. Maybe all DirecPC users (even the users who claim they're receiving flawless satellite service) can receive a refund for the cost of their Internet satellite system and monthly service fees. This will force Hughes Network Systems to correct the problems with their DirecPC Internet satellite system and help satisfy all consumers.

The FCC can investigate the problems that all users are encountering with Hughes Network Systems DirecPC. Below is a list of FCC contacts. Send these contacts your complaints. I believe this may be the best way to resolve problems with any Internet service provider.

Thanks, and good luck to all DirecPC users.

FCC Consumer Information Bureau: »www.fcc.gov/cib/

Commissioner Kathleen Q. Abernathy: kabernat@fcc.gov
Commissioner Michael J. Copps: mcopps@fcc.gov
Commissioner Kevin J. Martin: kjmweb@fcc.gov

FCC website: »www.fcc.gov/

Comments:

Review by banditz71 See Profile

• Location: Sanger,Denton,TX
Good "Fast.....Great when living in the country!!"
Bad "None that stand out."
Overall "I loved the 1-way and love the 2-way even more!!!!"
Mail,DNS,News:
(ratings well above consensus)

The install (on 8-8-01) went VERY smoothly and quickly. It was up and running within about an hour and a half and has been doing Great ever since. My download speeds have ranged from about 350k to 1633k. Uploads have been running between 40k and 75k. If it works this good when they are supposedly having problems, I can't wait until it's fixed!!! UPDATE (8/20/01)..........I now have 4.0.0.40 running and have done 4 or 5 speed tests which have ranged from 1048k to 1567k (uploads around 80k). It's working GREAT here in North Texas!!!!

member for 13 years, 5941 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by erictwo See Profile

• Location: Headland,Henry,AL
Good "I honestly cant find any"
Bad "Extremly unreliable"
Overall "Just stay with 56k modem, until you see if Hughes work this out"
Mail,DNS,News:

I recieved my DPCSR sattelite on June 2, I never saw a web page for the first 4 weeks. My modems were DOA, after calling tech support 3-4 times a day they finnally RMAed the modems. After receiving the modems it did work but speeds are slower up/down then my 56k modem, tech support will tell you anything to get you off the phone thier latest one is the code red virus but the slow speeds were before the virus. After 8 weeks and the cost of the equipment I think I am entitled to an answer but they will not give a straight answer, I would not reccomend purchasing this DPCSR system, you will still have to use youe 56k modem for browsing and downloading.

member for 12.8 years, 741 visits, last login: 5.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by tomstahl$ See Profile

• Location: Hebron,Porter,IN
Bad "Downloads slower than the 1 way, Installer sucked."
Overall "Stay away from the DirecPC 2 way upgrade!"
Mail,DNS,News:

Hit an all time slow speed last night of 38kbps down! My modem is faster and much more reliable. The NOC has problems handling more than 5 customers and tech suport is useless.

Only help I got was from other frustrated users in alt.satellite.direcpc newsgroup.

Had the system since 5-25-01 and it has been going downhill fast as more users come aboard.

Had to pay $200 for a pro install that was supposed to be free and also had to pay $35 mileage charge to the punk that installed it.

$235 for a clown to sink a 2" pipe in concrete and point the dish as I already had the coax and wallplates done. What a racket, at least the 1 way could be self installed, not this sucker.

$60/month to get sub modem speeds, $400 for the upgrade. STAY FAR AWAY from DirecPC and InfoDish.

Comments:

Review by PissedatPegasus See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
Good "The 800 Number works...... "
Bad "The system doesn't work."
Overall "This system suc*s... wished I NEVER spent the money on them!"
Mail,DNS,News:

The system took nearly three weeks to get up and running. When it did... I actually got nearly 1200kbs down and 400kbs up. Well, that went away the first two hours. Ever since... its been getting worse. Today, it measured 23kbs down, up was less than 2kbs. A far cry from the 400/128 they advertise.

... Actually, I haven't been able to find anyone that has it that has had good luck. Being the first installation in Arizona, I figured I'd have some priority. So far two dealers have had their techs here to look.... well, after talking with Pegasus, and seeing the system "correctly" tuned and set up.... they have stopped selling them. Gee maybe some people do have some good values, save for the Pegasus group.

Might I add that the tech reps there cant even get good speed. One tech said even in training they had problems. As well, they are not even the center for the operations. They are just the middlemen for the IP/TCP system.... Gee I'de like to get a hold of the REAL operators...

Anybody want a valid report, want to see a test sheet, demo etc.... I'm showing what the system can/cant do... (well, I try to show what it can do) I'll have to send it over my dial-up though.

Anybody want my opinion... stick with ANYTHING else... even a freebie dial-up account!!!

Comments:

Review by melissamoss See Profile

• Location: Defuniak Springs,Walton,FL
Good "Sometimes it d/l at decent speed, when it's working."
Bad "VERY intermitted connection, times out for long periods, bad software, uploads suck, average 800+ms RT ping time"
Overall "Most unreliable service I ever used. Big disappointment, big $$, endeless frustration"

Sometimes pages load fast but most times it's like a fast modem connection. $70.00 a month plus $900.00 install (that is a total outrage) My installer was not computer/internet knowledgable (thought Win2000 Server was WinME) He took all day to do a few hours (at most) job. Equipment is a Satellite dish mounted on a pole in my yard and the (2) stacked modems are pretty ugly, about 1.5"high, 5"wide, 7" deep each. The cable is huge, hard to hide and hard to work with since it's so stiff (I can't hide it) It took about a month for the Satellite company to send someone out to install after I ordered it. They didn't stay in touch with me. No one supplied me with any software and the installer was trying to install the wrong software. The day after installation it went down and no one called or came back out for a week to resolve the trouble. It "times out" for long periods and sometimes I have to reboot and recycle the modems...just too many troubles for an unreliable, intermitted connection. Can't obtain an IP reasonably(i heard it WAS possible, somehow) Slow, slow uploads.