HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by Wolfman See Profile

• Location: Transfer,Mercer,PA
Bad "Horrible"
Overall "Don't waste your money"
Mail,DNS,News:

I was limited in internet providers in my area and basically only had the choice of Hughesnet. I was told prior to signing up that I would have 5 gigs of data and 5 gigs of extra data (12am-8am). After I used my allotted amount of data my internet would be "throttled back" but I would not "lose" my ability to access the internet. Well in the five months since I signed up, had the dish installed and started using Hughesnet, I have run out of the 5 gig limit two weeks into each month with nothing more than social media, email and general web surfing. My bill has not been the same from one month to the next varying as much as $10 a month. Customer service talked in circles giving me many reasons why there was such a change from one month to the next in the amount I owed. Once my 5 gigs of data was used up my service was "throttled" back to slower than dial up at 512kbs. Getting online after the service is throttled back is painful and frustrating. I end up using my phone to get online and check email and facebook because even at 3G it is 10x's faster than Hughesnet "throttled" service. Had I known prior to this this that 5 gigs went so fast and their idea of "throttled" back service meant I would sit and wait 5 minutes for a webpage to load, I would have kept using my cell phone and saved the $60 a month. This service reply's on people like me that have no alternative for internet and basically take your money for substandard internet usage. The cost versus the data usage is, in my opinion, a rip off. As soon as I find an alternative I will be stopping service, even if I'm under contract with them. Unless you have no alternative and have no choice, stay as far away from these guys as possible. Very dissatisfied with customer service, internet speeds (even when I have 5 gig's of data available), and super dissatisfied with their "throttled back" speed. I'd rather keep the $60 a month and have no internet than spend the money for nothing.

Comments:

comcastnet

@54.193.213.x

review of reviw

Yikes,
Scared me out of thinking about it after first 3reviews. Bye , bye. No thank you to Hughes .net

lotsaroots

@65.25.119.x

Re: review of reviw

I'm with you! Their card I got in the mail is torn in half, and in the garbage as I speak. NO thank you! Ill stick to Time Warner. At least Ive had no problems with their internet. Ill keep looking tho. I am trying to save money.

Review by Y_Soitenly See Profile

• Location: Morrilton,Conway,AR
Good "It beats Dial-Up, sometimes."
Bad "Having to reboot the Modem often. Tech Support is worthless."
Overall "If any other Broadband was available in my area, I would dump Hughes in a heartbeat."
Mail,DNS,News:

There are no other options in my area for Broadband or I would jump on it.

I've got the basic package at $60.00 a month.

Ordering the equipment was flawless, but the installer didn't ground the dish right. Found this out a couple of years later when I had another installer to come out to realign the dish. He fixed the ground then.

My first equipment was the DW4000 in 2003. Since then I have upgraded Modems 3 times and currently have the HN7000S Modem.

The good experiences is that it beats Dial-Up. The bad is Tech Support is worthless.

Update:

As of 12/8/12 I had Wildblue/Exede installed and dumped Hughesnet.

Hughesnet had gotten almost unusable during the day light hours and it was this way for the last 6 to 8 Months I had it. About the only time I could get anything done on the Internet was late at night when most people were in bed.

After I've had Exede for a while I'll give a review of it, but so far I'm very happy with it.

Comments:

countrylane

@72.171.16.x

terrible connection

Almost 4 weeks ago I got talked into upgrading to Gen4. Was told it would be 10x faster than the service I had. NOT!! I have to continually log out and log back on. I am so unhappy with this and really don't know what to do. HughesNet is absolutely no help at all. Sites will not "connect" and this happens anytime of the day or night. I would never recommend this company to anyone.

Review by suceress See Profile

• Location: Oakdale,Allen,LA
Good "It works sometimes; can be used when there are literally no other options"
Bad "Unreliable, overpriced, high latency, poor customer service, software problems, bandwidth restrictions, (much more)"
Overall "This is a last resort if you can't even get dialup. Dialup is more reliable and sometimes faster."
Mail,DNS,News:

I live in a rural area in the woods with unpaved roads where cable, mail delivery, and other such conveniences are not available. Since I am so far out and my phone company refused to do maintenance on my lines, I soon found myself unable to even get dial-up to work.

I initially signed up for the base plan with Direcway in 2002. The installation did not go smoothly, but since it seems DW and HughesNet are different companies (or at least under different management) I will not go into detail. Suffice to say that my satellite was never installed properly.

I will cite some of my experiences with DW in order to compare/contrast it with HN. My speeds were initially ok-- better than the 2.6k dialup I had before the dial-up was unable to connect at all but I lost connection during rain, wind, cloudy days, etc. I was not told of the bandwidth restriction ahead of time but the FAP was tolerable-- bringing my speeds to about what they had been on dial-up so my internet was still usable. It never lasted more than 2 to 4 hours. I was allowed approximately 480Mb per day for use without being throttled.

In I believe March 2006, Hughesnet took over and there were changes-- not for the better. My monthly fee went up (without prior notice) and my bandwidth was cut down to 200Mb per day (also without prior notice). The FAP period lasted 26 hours (Hughesnet claims it is a minimum of 24 hours, but it never lasted any less than 26 hours every time) and during those times my internet was rendered completely useless. I was unable to load any webpages or use any online application whatsoever.

After a storm I noticed that my satellite was somewhat wobbly. I contacted HN to try to get them to send a technician out to fix it-- numerous times. Every time they refused.

There are far too many incidents to report on, but my speeds decreased and the service got even worse. Base tech support gave contradictory information to what advanced tech support suggested. In fact, there were times that base tech support told me to do things that advanced tech support said to never do.

Even when my modem was unplugged HN claimed I was downloading 5 to 20Mb every hour so I was constantly getting hit with the FAP. Furthermore, when I called tech support while subject to FAP they actually told me that customers under FAP were not allowed to speak to advanced tech support. That particular employee even refused to let me speak to a supervisor. I had to hang up and call back to get a different employee who was reluctant to let me speak to a supervisor, but then the supervisor gave me the same line of bull about not letting me speak to advanced tech support. (I wanted to verify that the advice given to me by the lower techs matched advice from advanced bc they were telling me to do something advanced techs said to never do).

The HN techies seemed less knowledgeable than the DW ones, and were far less helpful (although some were polite, there were a few rude ones, and most just read from a script and couldn't handle anything off-script). My service was constantly going out and I was given all sorts of excuses including "sun spots". It took me 3 hours to get one of their techs to admit that something had gone awry with one of their satellites and that it wasn't a problem on my end. Several hours later when I called back to check the progress of the repair, the HN employee denied that there had been anything wrong and insisted it was a problem on my end.

I believe it was 2007 when my transmitter died and I was told I would need a brand new satellite (at my expense) because the new transmitters wouldn't work on the old satellites. I also had to "upgrade" from the DW4000 to the HN7000S along the way. In a spectacular display of physics, my cat managed to make a glass of milk fly across the room and land under the desk and soak the DW4000-- which immediately sparked and smoked from shorted circuits-- it took me 2 hours to explain to the HN tech that I was certain my modem was broken. The installer who put in the new satellite had to put in a new pole because the original one was not only too thin/flimsy, but it was improperly installed. He pointed the dish at a different satellite than I had been on before though. My signal went from 80 strength down to 70-60. Over the years the signal strength has decreased and I now average round 45-50 on clear days.

At some point we got conned into taking the plunge and getting the "Pro Plus Plan" for $80 a month. We were told we would get better speeds and not have to worry about the FAP. They were wrong. Our speeds did not improve at all-- we consistently get around 300k down or less when we were told we shouldn't be getting less than 600k down and the modem software miscalculates usage and claims we use more than is even possible.

Initially we had to check the Hughesnet usage page to check to see how much bandwidth we had left, but it was not up-to-date and was very slow to load. Fortunately they added something to the modem which tells us somewhat up-to-date information on our usage. They also made it so we get one free uncap token per month to remove the FAP. The problem was, they made it so we had to load their webpage to use the token. I spent two hours on the phone going around in circles trying to explain to the tech that I could not uncap myself because I could not load ANY webpages-- including their page that had the utility to use the tokens. Finally it dawned on him and he used the token for me. I will say to their credit, they wised up and added the token usage to the modem itself. Unfortunately they did not fix the miscalculating problem.

One day the modem misreported that I downloaded 1500Mb in a single hour-- which even tech support admitted was absolutely impossible on my connection. All of my downloads were being magnified by 10. Tech support did actually uncap us, but the problem with uncapping at that point was that they didn't refill the bucket when they uncapped, they just lifted the cap, so if we loaded anything at all it would reinstate the FAP-- but they did fix that after a few months.

In the case with the 1500Mb incident, I was escalated to advanced tech support. I was hopeful that I would get a resolution. Unfortunately I got a call back from a very snooty and rude woman who told me in a condescending tone that I must have a virus on one or more of my computers that caused me to "upload" that much data. I explained to her that I had virus scanners on all of the computers, had disabled automatic updates, and it was a "download" not an "upload". She said there was obviously something wrong on my end and hung up.

In the past few months I have had multiple issues with the bandwidth miscalculation, the connection goes out for no apparent reason when it is sunny with no wind, and I have been having all sorts of errors about uplink queuing, dns entry errors, web acceleration outages, dns entry outages, and lately something wrong with the transmitter. Every time I call tech support I get the same script and no actual support.

When a power outage caused my modem to somehow unregister the tech support tried to walk me through a fix but the lower level told me to do the wrong things but then advanced couldn't figure it out. I had to drive 20 miles to go to McDonalds to use wifi to look on dslreports for a solution. (The McDonalds option was not viable until I got a laptop in October-- and I can't do it regularly because the seats are too uncomfortable, it costs too much for gas and food, my road cannot always be driven on after heavy rains bc it turns to mud, and McDonalds doesn't stay open all night). Fortunately there was one and I was able to fix the problem myself. It turns out their registration page had expired certificates and my browsers were refusing to load it. I had to find a work-around.

I have been told that people who have the HN9000 modems have better experiences than what I am having with the HN7000S, but every time I checked with Hughesnet I was told that I am not eligible for the upgrade. I have also been informed that since they are phasing out the 7000 I am only going to see my service decline.

I don't know if the web acceleration, dns acceleration, uplink queuing, etc issues have to do with the reduced space on the rented satellites or if it is just poor programming. I have to restart my modem sometimes 50 to 100 times a day. Some days my internet stops working every 2 minutes. When I have the TCP acceleration, DNS, etc errors my internet stops working completely. Sometimes the modem stops sending signal out through the ethernet cord completely and I have to unplug it for a few minutes and plug it back in to get it working again. It is highly frustrating and the techs never know what to do.

I saw a message in the diagnostic saying "if the problem persists, contact technical support", so I made the mistake of doing just that. The tech support guy was rather rude and said "Why did you even call?" when I explained to him why. He also informed me that Hughesnet's Pro Plus plan was not for downloading files. What else would I need it for if not to have heavier usage than the base plan? With all of the new java/flash applications, video ads, etc, just loading webpages can suck a lot of bandwidth away nowadays. They did increase my bucket by 50Mb but its too little too late. Plus I still get miscalculation errors where my bandwidth plummets for no apparent reason.

I am hopeful that with the advances in technology I will be able to get 3G coverage for internet instead. I am sick of Hughesnet and can hardly wait to get a new ISP.

Wish me luck.

Edit: As an addendum, I play online games and let's just say I had more luck playing EverQuest on 40kbs dial-up in Guam. It had less latency and was far more reliable than satellite. (and yes, I do know that satellite inherently has latency). If Dial-up was an option for me, I would go back to it, because at least it would work when it rains.

ps. Sorry for this being so disorganized and my apologies for any typos/misspellings.

pps. After I began posting on the dslreports forums about my problems with Hughesnet, my speed decreased even more and my bandwidth started miscalculating. After I posted this review my bucket mysteriously drained when no one in my family was even using the internet and I was subject to FAP at 0 so I could not load any webpages. According to the usage page I allegedly loaded over 700Mb during the regular hours in a rolling 24 hour period. During some of the hours when it claimed I was loading 20+Mb nobody in my household was even home and the wireless was turned off. Call me paranoid, but I can't help but suspect that Hughesnet is deliberately doing this to get back at me for giving a bad review. I accept that it is possible its just another software issue that I've had in the past where it miscalculates, but its rather convenient that it happened right after a negative review.

Update Dec. 11, 2011: I recently got Millenicom and have been using it for the past couple of days. I am only getting about 2 bars of signal but I don't yet have an antenna/amplifier. With that signal and no amp I am still getting better speeds and lower latency than I ever experienced my entire time with Hughesnet. I do get lag spikes in World of Warcraft and sometimes lose connection, but thus far it is no worse than Hughesnet.

Update May 5, 2014: Millenicom did not pan out because the antenna/amplifier didn't work and I was too far to get decent signal from Sprint. Hughesnet continued to deteriorate and all the customer "service" wanted to do was push Gen4 on me. I told them it was even less bandwidth than the Pro Plus Plan that I was using and they tried to argue with me. I was not happy with the prospect of having to go with Gen4, but they were trying to force me into it by slowly killing my old service. It got to the point where my internet was barely working for the last two months (it pretty much stopped working the last month). I called to have a technician come out and they said everyone was on vacation and it would take 2 to 3 weeks. Later I was in a computer store and people were talking about internet services and someone told me about Exede. I went and looked it up. Same speeds as Gen4, same price, but different limit (at least when you look at how HN advertised it). HN advertised 20Gb per month-- but you had to read the small print to see that you got 10Gb during normal hours and 10Gb during "bonus" hours. Exede advertised 10Gb. Reading the fine print they had 10Gb during normal hours and unlimited bandwidth during the "Late Night Free Zone" (LNFZ). When I called to ask about installation they gave me a date sooner than Hughesnet would be able to send out a tech to try to fix the dying HN service. We did have to bump it back a week due to a death in the family, but we got it all installed. I called Hughesnet to tell them goodbye and to demand money back for my last two months of non-working service. They surprisingly complied with no arguments. I was so gleeful to get away from them. Exede is not perfect and it has some of the same problems as Hughesnet (some outages, bandwidth miscalculation, upload delay, etc) but the customer service is far superior thus far (I think I got Exede in Nov 2012). Instead of getting 200k down, I have clocked my downloads at 20Mb down and 3Mb up. I can actually stream downloads now. I have to do most of my loading in the late night free zone, but I had to do the same with the Pro Plus Plan with Hughesnet-- only at vastly slower speeds.

Comments:

Review by compuguybna See Profile

• Location: Nashville,Davidson,TN
Good "There are NO good points to state about Hughesnet, Pure trouble!"
Bad "All ECC can say in defense is --we do not guarantee speeds--!"
Overall "Slow speeds, Clueless India Tech Support, Throttling, Expensive"
Mail,DNS,News:

Hear all the issues with Gen4 . . . . New bird wasn't the solution I guess?

Just heard a co-worker had hughesnet installed on 7/23/12. I told he should have asked me first. Yesterday 7/25/12, two days after install, he was cussing Hughesnet and his blood pressure was up! He cancelled TODAY 7/26, and told Hughes to come get the equipment off his property!

I told him about wireless broadband, and now he's getting 20GB off a Verizon tower for $59.

I wonder if GEN4 is gonna be the same? If they dont raise the caps and allowances, there will be no hope.......

Problems? Here's your best THREE contacts! Send 1 email to all three.
You'll get a call!

Complaints can be address to : bbbdc@hughes.net (Handles BBB complaints) or

(ECC) executivecustomercare@hughes.net or

william.smouse@hns.com (my last contact)

Just gotta laugh at the new advertising schemes from Hughesnet.
I still keep getting advertising and emails from them wanting me to "come back" to their service. Not in this lifetime I say.

Here's Hughesnet TOP 10 reasons to Try/Use their Service.

1. It's available wherever you live **Ok, they got me on this one**

2. It's super-fast. ***NOT*** why do they call this broadband anyway? just cause of the inherent latency...

3. It works with your computer. **Ok, they got me on this one**
for pc's anyway.

4. No dial-up necessary **No brainer, it uses a satellite, not a POTS line, however it can be as SLOW AS DIALUP!

5. We install it, so you have nothing to worry about ***BUT you want to charge truck-roll if SOMETHING DOES HAPPEN, even within the warranty period***

6. It's secure. **Ok, they got me on this one**, but DOES NOT play well with "secured sites**https**

7. We constantly monitor the network to ensure better service
***yes, so we can find you and throttle you if you actually "USE* the service***

8. Excellent customer service **WRONG** If you enjoy banging your head against your desk talking with India...***

9. Hughes is a leader in the industry, **BUT** not necessarily the only satellite provider.

10. Hughes is a trusted name and provider.....***Trusted name doesn't necessarily mean better service***

AND the fact that they have changed all the plan names (and if I see right, deleted a plan).

BASIC (1mbps) 200mb day
Power 150 (1.5mbps) 300mb day
Power 200 (2.0mbps) 400mb day

Being greedy, Hughes states on ALL plans you can UPGRADE your daily allowance by 50mb a day for only $10 a month.

Actually the daily allowances have DROPPED. Didn't the 1.6 plan (obviously dropped). have a 425 or 525mb allowance?

So, on the Power 200 plan (2.0mbps plan), you can get a WHOPPING 450mb a day for only $119.99! WOW! Is that value or what?

Does this apply to new users only? or have download allowance dropped for current users?

WTF???

UPDATE 9/21/10. Thankful the Broadband GODS have answered. Have High speed cable internet now.
20mbps download! Thank goodness I can download almost 9gigs in one day if I prefer, instead of the disgusting 425MB I had to deal with on Hughes at 1mpbs or less! ! !

I've had TWO Hughesnet Accounts in six months, BOTH of them turned out to be disasters. The First was plagued with billing and service errors to start with. They billed my credit card 503.86 on my first bill because they said I put in an order for a "purchase". WRONG! The order simply stated lease. I had to send them the original order to prove it.

A month later, they got it 1/2 right, but it was a continual battle with billing. I eventually had to change credit card #'s to get them to stop billing me. For the first 30 days, the service was as good as expected. I was on the HOME plan, which provide "UP TO" 1mbps of service. During the first 30 days, you are in a "customer satisfaction stage", where you can cancel without penalty, return the equipment at your expense, and not be obligated any longer. Your fee's you have paid so far are NOT REFUNDABLE (other than disputing it through your credit card company). After your 30 days, and after your SECOND invoice generates, WHAMMY! you are at their mercy.

Their famous excuse after that is "SPEEDS ARE NOT GUARANTEED". If you have to call tech support, its an endless cycle of running speed tests, and talking to someone in India. Billing support is in the Phillipines. With so many issues on this account, and after writing the Better Business Bureau of Maryland, my account was handed over to the corporate office (Executive Customer Care).

I give those people credit, they did TRY to help me with the issues, but given that the NOCC (network operations) was directly controlling speeds at that time thru throttling and flow control, ECC and myself that this battle should end (it was stated by tech support.. "your system is running fine. There is nothing else we can do...If you are not happy with the service, either "accept it with its Flaws" or cancel it. WHAT??? They admit their service is flawed? Cancelled it. More stupid on my part, we decided to sign up for a totally new account. New install, new equipment, new start...

Once again, EVERYTHING went perfect for the first 30 days. I signed up for the PRO + package that time which gave a tad bit more speed, plus more daily usage (425mb)... Consistently, everyday, 1.5mbps speeds which was 95% of the plans output. GREAT I was thinking. 30 days passed. Second Invoice. Speeds went to around 300-400K....then comes the excuses... "You are in peak time usage", you have exceeded your usage, you're in FAP, the weather at your gateway is BAD.

Tech support did admit once (the guy in India) that there WAS a problem, but it would have to be diagnosed by engineering. Again, and endless cycle of speed tests (in two occassions, put me over my daily usage, FAP, which they were unwilling to release).... So be well aware, if you sign up for a Hughesnet Account with a HN9000 modem package, you are in for a very long battle. While you may think you're crusing right along at first, wait til you're 30 days are up, and you're in a contract. TWO TIMES in 6 months taught me a lesson! NEVER trust these people. they will NEVER admit that network operations gives you what ever speeds they want, whenever they want.

The corporate office's response to my second series of complaints was directly from the office of the president and stated """We will not go through this again. Everyone just got your letter today. I called your mother and left a message. There is an open ticket with Tier 4, if they can't resolve I recommend she cancel immediately. PLEASE refrain from sending e-mails to the customer service group. I am sorry she is, or you are not happy with the service. You and I had an agreement on this next account. No complaints to ECC, and we do not guarantee speeds."""

their famous slogan "do not guarantee speeds" just doesn't cut it on a 79.99 a month plan that rates at 1.6mbps, but only providing 300-400K. This is a TRUE story, and I have no doubt all of these others are true in their own respect at well. FORWARNED if you are thinking about Hughes.

Complaints can be address to : bbbdc@hughes.net or
executivecustomercare@hughes.net or
william.smouse@hns.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
UPDATE: Many forum users have challenged my posts and experiences......

YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY ! ! ! Think what you want...

Hughesnet just didn't get it in TN. Read any posts from any user in TN, Hughesnet screwed us (or still screws ya if you're stupid enough to stay).

Perhaps users in other states have different/varied results.

I know what I experienced, documented, and dealt with.

I am so glad I'm not a part of the nightmare.

I posted the notes only to share with others. If you don't agree or wish dispute the points I made, than this is sole your option.

thank you, i'm finished in this forum. If you signup with Hughesnet, good luck with the consequences you will experience later on.

member for 5.4 years, 2484 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
·Millenicom
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

Still So Pathetic even an Email and facebook only user cxls.

Problems? Here's your best THREE contacts! Send 1 email to all three.
You'll get a call!
cdrslan

join:2012-07-30
Louisville, KY

Re: Still So Pathetic even an Email and facebook only user cxls.

I had Hughes.net and before that it was called Direcway for about 5 years. My wife liked the browsing speed versus the 16.400 baud dial up speed... Downloads were great. The problem with this service and it was fully disclosed..but frustrating...the FAP policy and the upload packets. Very very frustrating to a gamer who lived in a rural area that had 0 options for quality broadband. The slowest cable modem or DSL connection will be much less frustrating than Hughes.net

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
·Millenicom
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

Contacts at Hughes.

Posted this a while back(but it keeps getting deleted), but for any of you that are having issues that you can't get resolved, contact Corporate using these email contacts.

bbbdc@hughes.net
executivecustomercare@hughes.net
william.smouse@hns.com (office of president).

Hope these help and someone can make use of them.

(these were posted on other sites including facebook, but HUGHES keeps deleting them).

Review by JJG3 See Profile

• Location: US
Bad "Ripoff and almost impossible to cancel"

·Cox HSI
My father ordered hughesnet a few months before he died. He was making bad decisions, very confused all the time, and they happily took his business.

Once he died, it took dozens of calls to get them to explain how to cancel the account. After faxing his death certificate twice, they still couldn't find it. When I got through to Account Management, they told me "we used to ask for death certificates, but that was too stressful for our customers, so now we just look up obituaries online. I see that your father died, so I will start the cancellation process." So they didn't need a fax at all.

One part of the company not talking to the other. And no true interest in customer service. Just horrible all around.

Comments:

Esme

@spcsdns.net

Is a nightmare!!

They expensive! Snd bad lie do much talk real fast take advantage of people that don't know much. I had a slow internet but Internet all the time. They charge a lot and most of the time you have no service! They just charge my son never faild a class before now he did and he have to go out of his house to do homework!!!! When I paying a lot for my single mom budget! And get nothing. Help help how legally get rid oc them? They don't care. Customer service hardly speak English!

tgilbert

@172.56.11.x

liers

They took money out of my account 40 dollars and they never gave it back

Sanchi

@sbcglobal.net

Bad Mistake!

OMG, BELIEVE THE ABOVE- IT'S ALL TRUE! And this was all before it was even installed. Advertising free installation, then some SOB (salesman) takes a $50 fee. Calls it a "leasing fee". Still trying to get back my $. I'm so grateful I cancelled while I still could.

Review by stanley_qaz See Profile

• Location: Gilbert,Maricopa,AZ
Overall "This is eleven years out of date, ignore it."

·Cox HSI
No longer use this service but can't delete this badly outdated review. »Site FAQ »I've switched ISPs - Can I delete my old review?

Please ignore it and look at folks that have something more current than eleven years ago. Thanks.

Back in another year to change all the numbers to twelve years... :-(

member for 11.7 years, 4410 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Jan

@direcpc.com

It totally sucks haven't been able to log on it's messed up my computer !

Can't log on at all! Screwed up my computer! And no wifi like they said! Terrible Terrible absolutely terrible! And they want me to continue paying for the 2 dam yrs! That's bull! Why pay for something u can't use?

Ahhh

@166.182.81.x

Hughes Net is awful! Very Displeased. .

I have had Hughes Net for only 2 months, should have been 3 but they were no shows for 3 weeks and kept rescheduling, we have to reboot our router every 3-5 minutes when we are on the Internet because it freezes. I called to cancel my plan today and they wouldn't let me because it somehow got in my husband's name, he had never called Hughes Net nor even talked to anyone from there, it's all under my social and phone number. I even tried talking to the manager and she wouldn't help me, she just kept saying sorry. I let her know how bad their company sucks on customer service and there Internet in general. I am very displeased at how I have been treated through the experience.

Amy456

@suddenlink.net

Worst thief ever

Their Internet is supper slow. unbelievably slow. And you have to cancel it withing week or you will stuck paying for it for a year. Even if after you cancel, they will keep charging you money and customer service never helps. they will say, they will send you boxes to ship the unit back to them, no matter how many times you call, they never send the boxes and just keep charging you more money.

So Slow

@myvzw.com

Horrible Speed

I can't believe how slow the speed is. It is really bad. My kids cannot play their xbox online with their friends because Hughes Net service is so slow. It just lags constantly. Sometimes I need to do online video meetings for work. I have to drive to Starbucks to use their free wifi because Hughes Net is too slow to support it. Rediculous! I feel like we are prisoners of Hughes Net. We are only a few months in to a 24 month agreement. It will cost hundreds of dollars to cancel the service and I have to go up there and uninstall the equipment?!?! Absurd.

countrylane

@direcway.com

Re: Horrible Speed

I just upgraded to the gen4. I was told it would be "10x faster"!! What a joke. If anything, it is slower. Nothing will connect. Does anyone from hughesnet even read our comments? I will attempt to call them today!

Review by goneanddidit See Profile

• Location: Waco,Mclennan,TX
Bad "ALMOST AS BAD AS WILDBLUE!"
Overall "EVERYTHING IN SALES PITCH IS A LIE"
Mail,DNS,News:

Got the GEN4, promised 2mbs upload speed: get .35mbs. Call Customer Service spent 2 hours on Phone and 1.5 of it was on hold. The "Tech" was not an American and so hard to understand. I will all but scream at someone who is thinking of getting Hughesnet (or WildBlue). Hughes net is a prime example of what an Internet Company should not be like! I have Customer Service on speed dial I have to call them so often! I do a system check before calling them and be damned if they ask me to do it again even after I inform them of what procedures I have already taken. Dsl in general is the only thing i found that makes living outside of town a headache.

Comments:
Cybercycle

join:2012-12-23
united state
·HughesNet Satell..

Are you within your 30 day trial period?

Your comments imply that you have experience with using another satellite ISP, so you understand its limitations. If your issues are so bad, then you might want to cancel service if you are within your 30 day trial period. You also imply that you may have DSL available? If so, that is the service you should seriously consider switching to...

Leah

@qwest.net

Hughes Net is a scam

WORST COMPANY AND CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!!!! See the following:
Hughes Net
To whom it may concern,
We started your service on July 29,2013. We were told we would get 10 gig plan with 5 meg per second and the person on the phone said it would be more then enough for us. We not only started service but paid $345.77 to pay for the equipment. In August we called back and let them know that the speed was not fast enough. 1. They told us our equipment was bad, but they never replaced it. 2. They told us if we went to 20 gig plan we would get faster service, which they never mentioned to us the first time. 3. They offered us the 20 gig at the same price as the 10 gig. Later they raised the price and when we called to find out why they said the lower price was only for 3 months. We were never told that.
We have called several times since and talked to several people. I am on the phone right now. We started our call at 10:03am and it is now 11:22am. My husband started talking to someone who passed him on to a manager who said his name was Randy Johnson. I asked to speak to his supervisor and he passed me on to Aurther Garcia. Aurther said he was Randy's supervisor but his title was the same. I asked to speak with Aurther's supervisor and he said he does not know who that is. Why is that?? At this point I am very upset!!!
1. I want our money back that we paid for the equipment of $345.77
2. I want the equipment removed from our house.
3. I want out of this contract with out being charged a fee.

The equipment has never worked for us. I keep getting the runaround by several members of your staff. We were told we could cancel in 30 days and when we tried, you said you would give us faster speed and more gigs. Your company has been fraudulent, and unethical and I need you to make this right for me. The service is poor and does not work for us.

I will be expecting an email or phone call, by upper management next week.

Leah D

jim1000

hughesnet customer service

I have attempted to view my invoices for over a year. have not been able to because they stop me at the invoice site. I have called numerous times and heard every excuse in the book. this is one of the sorriest companies I have ever had dealings with. they have no customer service at all and lie to you continually. I spent over an hour on the phone with them again today and was told again the problem was fixed. another lie. it isn't

valkrider53

@spcsdns.net

Hughesnet

Giant ripoff they lie and steal from you ! Do not give them your credit card under any conditions ! There should be a class action lawsuit coming soon.
Expand your moderator at work

AngieD

@107.77.64.x

Re: Hughesnet

They already lost a class action lawsuit. I got a whole $5 back.

Review by chaosbuster See Profile

• Location: Oviedo,Seminole,FL
Good "Hardware works great"
Bad "People work poorly"
Overall "If customer can support himself without vendor support, good deal"
Mail,DNS,News:

Did not offer HSN 9000 migration plan, so ordered new Gen3 service.
Installer was an amateur, I ended up doing my own pole mount and all physical placement.
Installer just did signal cable connection and checkout.

Comments:

stevieod

Why Is Hughesnet Allowed to Rip Customers Off

Hughesnet has huge government contracts that consume satellite bandwidth that limit bandwidth to the paying customers (chumps). Because of these contracts, Hughesnet is allowed to operate as a money laundering operation for the intelligence agencies. So that explains the lousy service and also explains why the technical support is out sourced to countries that are hostile to America (Pakistan, etc.).

Hughesnet is allowed by government to raid the rural internet markets that the government has allowed the big cable players to ignore. Because many congresspeople and bureaucrats own stock in Hughesnet, Hughesnet is practically immune to any oversight or criminal investigations.

Hughesnet is a criminal operation, solely for the purpose of government communications. The rural customers are simply extra money that goes into various pockets. Thus, Hughesnet does not care about its retail (rural) customers nor does it feel that it has any obligation or responsibility to honor 'contracts' with its retail (rural) customers.

If anyone noticed when signing up with Hughesnet, there are no mentions of a "Fair Acces Policy" or is any mention of the fact that the download/upload speeds are just so much marketing department fantasy. Just remember that Hughesnet is operating for its own and governments benefit, that the retail (rural) customers are an afterthought that happens to bring in some extra money.

If anyone has had the fortunate experience of speaking with 'technical support', they will have found totally incompetent morons that don't give a damn about you. They will try to suck you into signing up with additional plans to 'improve' the service. Don't! You will be throwing good money after bad.

Hughesnet corporate are a bunch of con artists and theives, their only job is to fill their pockets with as much money as they can. In short, Hughesnet is a criminal enterprise that has the blessing of government to steal money.

InfoSponge

@mycingular.net

Re: Why Is Hughesnet Allowed to Rip Customers Off

Thank you for that knowledge. ; )

hughesnet su

@direcpc.com
I do not have a lot of knowledge of how bandwith and satellite internet works and i explained this to the hughesnet rep who chose my package for me. Previously i used time warner and i do not believe i was limited on how much bandwith i ha. If i was i must have had more than i needed because i never noticed. I will forever (or at least for the next 2yrs till my contract is up) regret the day i entered into a contract with hughesnet. To put it simply i was promised the ability to stream netflix and utube for a price that was lower than what i was paying TWC and I did NOT RECEIVE THE SERVICE PROMISED.
The service rep asked what i needed and/or wanted to be able to do on the internet. I explained that i didnt know how it worked or what amount i would need so she had me explain what i wanted to be able to do. I told her i had netflix and needed to be able to stream that. I wanted to watch utube and things like that. The rep said "I will get you in the right package to be able to do all those things" Then i received none of what i was promised. When i called to ask why my service was so bad and why i couldnt even watch a 30 second video online without constant buffering i was told my package didnt allow the ability to stream video of any kind. I explained fiat i was told i would be a able to use netflix and utube and the rep said the most ignorant thing that really made no sense...."sorry. Maybe the rep you spoke with who set you up with the service dosent work here anymore". What? Why would that matter? What would that have to do with anything?

To make a long angry rant short... I set out to save money and I now pay more than i paid with TWC to get less service because even after i so called "upgraded" i was WARNED (and the use of the word warned was actually used by the rep) that i wouldnt be able to stream much of anything on netflix before reaching my internet usage limit. Wow. Thanks Hughesnet. I will be sure to tell all my my friends and family about your great service and how i cant even gooogle anything without waiting 2 to 3 minutes for the page to load. I hate my internet service and i hate hughesnet for making me say I MISS TWC. I never thought i would hear myself say those words.DO NOT TRUST HUGHESNET. If you have little knowledge of how satellite internet works they will take advantage. They will not give you the service promised. It will be nothing but frustration and all you will have to show for it will be the joy of overpaying for Horrible service.

HiHo HiHo

@cc.oh.us
I am so glad I looked this up before making a purchase. In Toledo, Ohio Buckeye cable has the monopoly and you cannot get internet service anywhere else but through Hughesnet. They sound just like Virgin Mobile, government owned and a hateful, thieving bunch of criminals. Thank you all for your reviews. Took awhile to find any, had to get out of google and use a backdoor to get here.

Review by GoodMoGo See Profile

• Location: Fayetteville,Washington,AR
Good "Absolutely nothing (occasional internet if you don't have other options)"
Bad "Service quality, value, customer support."
Overall "Use at your own risk, and only if you don't want to write snail mail letters."
Mail,DNS,News:

Several different accounts (I work for a major University) with different plans. Lowest plan is a Professional Plus.
Order and install were problem free.
Various HN700S and HN9000 + My routers.
They change static IPs without notice, tech support does not understand what "port forwarding" or "static IP" means other than "that's in your plan, sir". From this basic information I can only properly describe them and their service as a bunch of mentally handicapped monkeys (not apes).

Comments:

Review by Patty K See Profile

• Location: Denver,Adams,CO
Good "None"
Bad "Costly data usage, service down and slow if not down"
Overall "Awful service, worse support"
Mail,DNS,News:

I moved recently and Hughesnet was the only service provider that I could get in the Denver area that I moved to. I am a systems admin and need to work from home occasionally which is impossible using this service. Things are bad when you can go to the local Starbucks and get better service than you can at home. I am using the HT 1100 modem at this location. When you turn your computer on in the morning and log into their system usage interface you will notice that just turning your machine on will result in a usage of 250MB. You cannot browse the internet let alone download anything. Data downloaded during their "Bonus Time" is sometimes taken against your normal usage. After having this service for 1 month I am ready to give them the boot. Threatened to call and still just might get the Better Business Bureau involved in this too as I cannot get any intelligent response out of their support. All I hear is " I understand" (NO THEY DON'T!), wishing their own service on the employees and especially the CEO. That is the worst thing that I can think of for the people behind this company, making them live with their own service! After calling their support 2-4 times per week I am willing to deal with using my phone as a hot spot for service and continuing to go to Starbucks to work when necessary as this service is truly unusable for anything more than the most basic of internet connections and God help you if you decide to look at ANY web pages. My mother, my Aunt and I have been calling Comcast begging for them to run a line down East 64th Avenue in Denver so we can get decent service. I pray that they will as I have never had service this bad and at this point am willing to go back to nothing as opposed to continuing to pay Hughesnet for this. I feel totally ripped off and violated.

Comments:

NeverAgain

@velocity.net

Horrible

Don't waste your money! I can't believe I paid money for this service. The speeds are a joke, the price is crazy and when I tried to get rid of it, after paying the early cancellation fee they reactivated my account and started charging me again after 3 months. This is a total scam, don't do it, you are better off going to sit in the McDonalds parking lot and leeching off their WIFI.