HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by notech See Profile

Good "Provides a service to remote locations where other company don't go"
Bad "Lies, Will not admit problems, Terrible service and support"
Overall "Do not use them unless you have no other option"
Mail,DNS,News:

HughesNet is *the* worst company I have *ever* dealt with. Their service is intermittent at best with constant recurring problems that take months to resolve, then work for a short time, only to go through months of tech support again. They have on three occasions given me credit for poor service only to tack on mysterious other charges that negate the credit. When I discovered this it took two weeks to resolve the problem and they credited me hundreds in over billing. The only reason I am still with them is that I am still working through the credit.

The tech support is so bad. When common problems arise I have to wait 30-60 minutes on hold for a tech person. Many times the line cuts off before I speak to anyone. When I do get through the tech people literally have no clue about the products they are supporting. I have frequently pointed out specific problems (networking background) and they will not admit the problem exists. They have hung up on me many times without addressing the issues. On a number of occasions I had supervisors talking over me and yelling.

Escalating problems takes a very long time. Normally they state 2-3 business days for a response but I have never in the quoted time frame. Most of the time it takes the a week and involves me hounding them for a response. IF they ever get a problem fixed they will not tell you what it was. Problems come back quickly and I have to start from Tier 1 support every time even though I know what the problem is and that it needs Tier 3 support. The Tier 1 techs will lie almost every time I call and often make up nonsensical explanations.

I have wasted so much time calling this company. In the last year I have easily spent over a hundred hours. I have 3 cordless phones and carry them around with me waiting for tech support to pick up. A number of times I have used up the batteries in all 3 phone in one day trying to get a problem addressed.

The moment another company offers service in my area I will switch. I have considered going back to multi line dialup many times.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by TheTechGuru See Profile

• Location: TEXAS
Good "Provides You With 5mbps/1mbps Internet Service In The Middle of Nowhere"
Bad "Click Lag Due To High Ping Times, Monthly Bandwidth Cap, Overpriced"
Overall "Get Any Terrestrial Based Internet (other than dial-up) Service First, Last Resort Only"

·WesTex Connect
Sales failed to mention that you are put behind a NAT router and get no public IP address which is causing VNC/RDC problems for me.

Assignments that would take 15 min on a terrestrial based connection are taking 60 to 90 minutes because clicking to the next question takes 30 to 90 seconds to load vs the 2 to 5 seconds it would take on a terrestrial based connection.

Download and upload speeds of files are near advertised values, streaming works fine.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

so sorry

hughes internet service

run run run from hughes net slow service...bad customer service.....I purchased my own equipment and my contract said I would get a $200 refund if I sent the equipment back if I cancelled my service with them after 2 years, well I served my time and now I was told " they changed their policy on this" what a bunch of cheats

Hughes sucks

Re: hughes internet service

You forgot one:
* Pray that it doesn't rain. It doesn't work in the rain. The salesmen will tell you it works in all but the most severe storms ("... and Skype will work great, and it will be really fast!"). Then, when you call tech support because it's been sprinkling for 3 weeks straight and you can't access the Internet, they'll tell you (in barely legible English), "You should expect problems in inclement weather."

winsol88

@direcway.com
I've had similar horrific results from Hughes... I got some discounts up front for signing up for a 2 year contract and was lucky enough to extend it for another year. One month ago tho, they downgraded me tremendously... i get less than 500kps downloads.. and lucky if I get 100mgb/day while I'm on a 250mgb plan. I've talked to their India customer service over 6 times now and it's the most frustrating experience I've ever had... even their technical support is a joke... the rep there asked me and repeated my correct phone # THREE TIMES.. obviously stalling for something... and trying to talk to a supervisor - forget it.
BUYER BEWARE... all is good for the first couple years but after that you're stuck with equipment and VERY SLOW downloads. I'm switching to Verizon's jetpack... as several others have had good luck with that.

thanks
I have an HN9000 system....

Review by GreenUncle See Profile

• Location: Saint John,Stafford,KS
Bad "Nightmare over- Good riddance Hughes!!!!!!"
Overall "If any options available, DON'T enter the Hughes trap of lies and deciet and incompetence.."
Mail,DNS,News:

After 9 years of using Hughes, I am DELIGHTED to have discovered an option that frees me from their horrid products/service.

Let me start by saying I am kind of a consumer product/service research hobbyist. I really appreciate good design of products and good customer service.

Hughes is the best example of why companies with a monopoly (in this case no options for internet where I live in rural Kansas) are a very bad thing. They have no regard for their customers and they will lie and cheat to get what they want. Or, in this case, that they don't have to provide what they promise.

Fact is, service for the first 8 years, while moments of great frustration dealing with their script reading tech support, was...okay. Expensive, but usually better than dial-up. But then, for some reason, my service disintegrated. It was terrible. Unusable. I worked with their tech support for months and if it hadn't been so painful, it would have been very funny.

I needn't go into all the details, but here is what one needs to know when considering entering a contract with Hughes.

>The company has no moral compass. They lie consistently to their customers. One example: if you have given them a credit card number for payment, they will make cancelling their service impossible. I have now read stories of several customers that tried to cancel and literally could not. #nightmare.

>According to what I have read (mostly here) they have been systemically moving their older (reliable) customers off of one satellite and onto a much less reliable and crowded one. They make it appear that it is your problem in order to move you into new equipment (modem and dish) and a two year contract. They tried to do this with me, charging for the new equipment and locking me into a two year agreement. They explained there was absolutely no way to continue any other way so I finally got an agent where I could cancel and it was ONLY then that they said, oh, we'll send you new equipment at no charge with no contract. I let them, and the service continued to ...suck. My connection at peak times was so bad it was unusable. When I called tech, they said, oh yeah, those speeds we promised aren't remotely possible for those many hours of the day when there is heavier traffic. And by the way, those promised "up to" speeds are NEVER reached. Not even close.

> Tech support, or I should say "tech support", is a total con job. These poor service reps in India are forced to endure the rage of folks like me that are being lied to. They read these scripts and every single time you call, you have to go through step one starting with the automated system "trouble shooting" and telling you that it might be the weather. On one single call I spent two hours with them. One one night I spent 3 hours on three calls.

> Hughes has a "forum" on their website where customers can allegedly communicate. Truth is, they moderate and eliminate all content that attempts to deal with their dishonest claims and practices.

> Thank goodness my credit card with them expired and all I have had to do to cancel is ignore their billings, because when one actually tries to call and cancel, they pretend to route you through the system, but at the final level, one gets disconnected.

The great news is that I finally got a "Jet Pack" with Verizon and I am getting much better speeds on all my computers without latency and I can do things I couldn't do with Hughes like reliable video. Thanks to all here that have shared their stories so I knew what was going on with Hughes and I could plot a strategy to move out of the trap of working with one of the worst companies I have ever encountered.

Comments:
patt2k

VZW ?

Do you have coverage from Verizon or Sprint?

look into millenicom.

They offer 50GB of on Verizon and Unlimited on Sprint I think.
I am not with them but it is better then satellite! if you have 4G LTE then you are in good hands
GreenUncle

join:2013-06-08
Saint John, KS

Re: VZW ?

Thanks patt2k. It is with Verizon. No 4g LTE, but still way better than satellite. I have looked into Millenicom, but with my usage and on a fam plan with a corporate discount I do better with Verizon. At least for now...

Re: VZW ?

said by GreenUncle:

What is your zip code? I looked at your CITY and found a zipcode. It showed STRONG LTE Coverage.

You can go with HomeFusion but you will either way pay more so why do that?

this is the zip I found : 67576 , yes it shows that current place is 3G however you might reach 4G with the modem millenicom will provide.

join:2009-01-16
I guess you are on Share Everything plan I wouldn't use that as your main data.

Even though your zipcode shows 3G you might be able to lock the Millenicom hotspot modem to 4G so I saw based on your zip code that LTE is not that far. You might be able to reach LTE

sry

wow my bad for so many replies I did not realize it posted so many times haha
GreenUncle

join:2013-06-08
Saint John, KS
·HughesNet Satell..

Re: sry

lol. Just a little repetition. Good to get your points across. :n) You might be able to go in and delete the extra ones?

Yes, you are right, my Jetpack (the modem from Verizon) is showing 4LTE pretty consistently which is phenomenal because I am in the middle of nowhere. In Kansas! The nearest town is 10 miles and that is only 1500 people. 20 miles there is a town of 7000. Anyway, I am shocked and delighted. It isn't on all the time, but enough to make me happy. Right now I am getting speeds of 4000 kbps which blows Hughes so far out of the water. Feeling lucky.

I will consider the Millenicom if my usage gets up there. I haven't used more than 5 in a month to this point, so I have plenty of room (I have 14gb on the share plan and the two other users are using very little).

Thanks for your feedback and ideas.

Re: sry

said by GreenUncle:

Thanks for your feedback and ideas.

Good to know man Don't even bother giving money to HughesNet.. with millenicom you will have at least a 20GB backup vs your 14GB shareplan.
It's a good deal!
and I can't delete the extra posts it won't let me lol.

Review by regina1965 See Profile

• Location: Oxford,Lafayette,MS
Bad "Better than dial up"

Hughes Net forces you into a 2 year contract. When you call for service they immediately tell you they need to run a scan. It can take up to an hour. After the scan runs, they want you to call them back. All must occur during working hours. If I am working to pay for this service, when can I call??????? My service has not worked since February. I called during spring break when I wasn't working. After many scans and promises that it would clear itself out, you have a virus and on and on, it still doesn't work. I requested a technician many times but the scan was the answer. Now that school is out I called to cut it off and I'll pay the cancellation fee.. Only now can I get a technician. Is it possible for me to call a technician directly NOO, got to call Hughes Net and let them handle. My only options are satellite internet or dial up. I am going without home internet and use 3G. Someone in the industry has to have a better solution.

Comments:

Karl Engel

G4 Internet

This is the worst internet experience I ever had. I wish I've would off never singed up with Hughesnet. It's much slower then dial up.

zohu

@41.190.4.x

i want to order hughesnet

Hi hudgesnet team, this is to seek urgent information about your
satellite internet system with respect to Nigeria.
we will be grateful if you can feed us with hudgesnet info such as:
availability of service in Nigeria, mode purchasing the system, method
of subscription, duration, size of data bundle, price of the system
etc.
we will also like to know if you can forward the system to us in
Nigeria through shipment.
many thanks for all these and whatever necessary information
you may supply us as we eagerly wait for your response.

• Location: Alpharetta,Fulton,GA
Bad "misleading internet speeds, cost to have service disconnected"
Overall "Hughes Net in Alpharetta is slow-don't do it!"
Mail,DNS,News:

Ordered Hughes net Gen 4 service Saturday-salesman told me that it would be much faster than AT&T DSL. Installer came out, didn't have a ladder to install transmitter on roof, which he recommended was the best place to install. Tried service for two days, and it's about twice as slow as DSL. Contacted tech support and ran diagnostics but said everything is running fine. Requested cancellation of service three days into contract. When I requested having the transmitter removed from roof they told me I would have to pay approx $100-150 to have the transmitter removed from roof, even though that is where the installer said to put it. Asked for supervisor to explain but wouldn't give out any info. I am contacting the headquarters in Maryland to complain but don't subscribe to Hughes net.

(review was emailed from domain mindspring.com)

Comments:

Review by lancel

• Location: trgiaxk
Good "lancel french flair"
Bad "lancel french flair"
Overall "lancel french flair"

being gigantic may not be enough of any attention getter now make these folks red accompanied by a yellow horses!! lancel french flair »www.saclancelpascher.biz/sac-lan···-10.html

(review was emailed in)

Comments:

Review by tglass See Profile

• Location: Riverside,Riverside,CA
Good "Adequate for surfing the web, e-mail and other lower demand tasks."
Bad "Download caps and time restrictions. Expensive for what you get."
Mail,DNS,News:

My son lives in rural Arkansas so satellite is the only available service. To me it is expensive, for 6MBPS service it's about $70 per month. In California I pay $60 per month for service of 24MBPS download with no cap that I am aware of. It comes bundled in a package which includes TV with all the premium channels and phone service for a total of $170 month.

With Hughes we can only upload/download 10 Gigs per month and if exceeded it chokes to dial up speed and then we have to buy tokens @ $5 per 500MB to restore hi speed service. When at home I watch alot of live streaming video but I can't do it here or I'll use up my sons allotment in a matter of few days. They do have a free period that runs from 1:00 am till 10:00 am locally, but with live streaming I have to watch while it's on not when the isp lets me.

The weather here can be very bad to outright killer. So as you try to get info on severe storms or tornado watches in your area the service drops out due to heavy rain or snow.

I have had to call customer service on several occasions and I must say every agent I have spoken to was professional and knowledgeable. In each instance my problem was resolved on the 1st call. Also the hold times were not outrageously long.

Bottom line is if it is the only game in town you gotta go. But I would certainly research alternatives for both price and performance.

member for 1.2 years, 1 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Pesimist See Profile

• Location: Valley,Chambers,AL
Good "Connection speed on ProPlus of 1200/155 only in the AM (EST). Fine if you don't use Hughes in the afternoons or evenings,"
Bad "Customer service from India & Can't reach upper levels of tech support"
Overall "If you want to blow money for substandard service - Go with Hughes or stay with Dial up."

·AT&T Southeast
Wow, 5-years since I dumped this crooked outfit, still visit the Hughes forums here frequently. Feel very sorry for those that don't have any alternate.

30 January 2008 - Bye Bye Hughes!

January 2008 (7-months with Hughes)
Well...All good things come and go, in this case the good was my original downloads of 1.1 - 1.2Mbps, which are now a thing of the past. I'm on the "ProPlus" 1.5Mbps/200kbps plan.
January 26th, 04:30PM - 268/26 kbps
January 25th, 08:23PM - 56/7 kbps
January 24th, 09:06PM - 331/7 kbps
January 23rd, 06:38PM - 81/26 kbps
January 22nd, 07:59PM - 63/19 kbps
January 21st, 07:41PM - 537/7 kbps

Speedtests after 9PM couldn't be accomplished, uploads went to zero (0), as well as my internet connection.

member for 7 years, 1163 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID
·HughesNet Satell..

I have more options

I have more options such has Frontier and Time Warner, but choose HugheNet for my internet, I haven't had any issues with my service, I am not a gamer, or one that watches movies off of netflix, I just do normal everyday stuff and it has always worked just fine, my speed tests have always been decent (5Mbps+)

Maybe I dont notice any issues because typically the hours im using it is between 11pm and 7am and here and there during the day.

Review by erossmus

• Location: King George,King George,VA
Good "none"
Bad "incompetence"
Overall "Don't go down that rabbit hole"
Mail,DNS,News:

HN7000s svc. failed. Repair order reportedly cancelled by me. Got talked into upgrade to gen 4. Installer defied Hughes install agreement and wanted $125 to poke holes in my roof as though that were my only option. Cancelled the account and Hughes calls a week later, spoke to a very sympathetic lady from Missouri who offered free install on mast, upgrade to gen 4 no contract. Pretty good deal, she gave the 800 # in case it took more than 2 days for install to get scheduled. Called on day 3: no install order in system. All she did was re-activate the billing account and tack on a $30.00 re-activation fee.

(review was emailed from domain hughes.net)

Comments:
rulds

join:2011-07-30
·DSL EXTREME
·Cox HSI

FOr the lack of a better word insane.

Should you have learned your lesson the first time I would give my sympathy. You need to call her back and tell her to forget it. You don't got anything installed so there should not be any reactive account.

They legally cannot charge you for something you are not getting or I am missing something here?

Also I hope you were not expecting a wall fish or something like that. Yeah I would charge you $150.00 as well to climb a ladder and point a dish and drill holes because the house is already built your going to have exposed wire tacked down as well. You got to understand a couple things here.

1. The installer may be 3rd party making 30 bucks for the install whilst the company gets the other 70 or more percent for there pockets.

2. The vehicle they run is private meaning gas and insurance these people are 1099's that are trying to put dinner on the table for there families.

3. Should you not want the service why did you call?

So that sales person called you back thinking you were already installed to lock in that sale... Now you want a tripod and wall fish? For 150 or for free? No way.

The geeks were right

join:2009-01-16

Re: FOr the lack of a better word insane.

This guy is within Verizon's 4G LTE.

Coverage map for his zip code : 22485
Shows Verizon 4G LTe & Extended.

Millenicom is a prepaid provider 20GB on Verizon's Network / 50GB on Sprints.
For 50$ he should give it a shot.

And no I don't work for millenicom,just trying to help out people with crap sat.

Review by jmpenguin See Profile

• Location: Labelle,Hendry,FL
Good "All ways on capable no phone line tied up"
Bad "Weather locally and at NOC,"
Overall "Great - bought 5 more systems Dec 2004 3 more Sep 2005"
Mail,DNS,News:

January 2010 - We bought a new house and now have Comcast Internet (Ugh)
April 2013 Comcast has improved greatly in past few years.
I am retired from county but still do consulting
My old comments still apply

Yes I know some people have a lot of problems. However we have no other high speed alternative. Speed wise compares to T! connection at office which is shared with about 100 other users over a WAN county wide.
Tech support seldom call them, Worked with HNS engineer to solve VPN problem with 7700 systems Installer for upgrade and new systems (8) was super met me at one site at 6:30 AM
I don't play games, download music.
Our home county was brushed by 4 hurricanes in 2004, I never lost Internet once, Sprint Phone lines were down ,Courthiouse lost Internet for 4 days.
Sprint became Embarq then became Century Link - service is still the same just changed their name no improvements, more and more locals dropping DSL and phone going to Comcast
Hughesnet keeps improving great for people needing reliable connections and not have to worry about lines being cut while tech making changes somewhere between your house and CO.

Comments:

Homer

@myvzw.com

HughesNet

was a hughesnet customer for years, actually signed up with direcway before hughesnet bought them out. Stuck with them until 2012, late in 2011 my service slowed to a crawl, called and had to update to newest sat service. Service again slowed down in June, called in and was told I would have to update to Gen 4.
The service had gotten so slow that you could not access the Hughesnet self-diagnosis video on their website, buffered for 3 hours and still hadn't gotten through over 13 minutes of the videos. We have verizon smart phones through our office so I ended up using my smart phone as a hotspot and added 3 gig per month, we skype, bank, basically do everything except download netflix. The additional data cost $15 per month, damn cheap internet service and very reliable. For those interested, google the United States home office phone number for Hughes Net if you want to cancel, they train the overseas call centers to hang up on anyone trying to cancel, also train them to deny that there are any United States phone numbers for the Hughes Net offices. Pretty funny, stupid morons don't know anything except what they are told to read off the default screens in response to any question.