HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by brightbreeze See Profile

• Location: Cascade,Cascade,MT
Good "Sales pitch was good. The sales rep was untruthful though. "
Bad "System is super slow. Does not support equipment I had in place, and HughesNet contract is a lock. Customer service guy was a JA"
Overall "Fortunately, I lost my Verizon service and gained AT&T 4G. In a year I will ditch HughesNet when contract expires. "
Mail,DNS,News:

I don't have a lot of options where I live. Prior to having Hughs Net, I had Wild Blue service which was better. Wild Blue at least supported my Verizon booster equipment for telephone. The HughesNet representative convinced me that his system would be much better. What he had told me about was the Gen4 System that was not yet in place when I had my HughsNet system installed. He told me that it would be a free upgrade as of January 1, 2013. My system was installed November 2012. When January 1st of 2013 rolled around, I contacted HughesNet and they told me it was not a free upgrade. Unfortunately I was locked into a two-year contract already. When I asked about getting the upgrade they told me it would start a new contract period. When I explained that their representative told me that the Gen4 upgrade was supposed to be free, they told me they were sorry but it was not free. So the only option I would have would be to pay more money, and get the upgrade. Having already been lied to, I was not willing to do that. So I am just paying my monthly bill, until November 2014. Customer service with HughesNet has not been good. Fortunately for me, there was a big fallout between Verizon wireless and AT&T - something regarding bandwidth use. At any rate, Verizon was no longer able to use AT&T towers. I had Verizon wireless, but was forced to switch to AT&T. Verizon was great about letting my contract go since they could no longer provide service where I live - unlike HughesNet customer service. Now I have 4G! The 4G works at least three times better possibly four times better than my HughesNet system. So in November 2014 I will go all the way with AT&T 4G. I was just fortunate to have had AT&T move into the neighborhood. HughesNet customer service is very poor and I won't even contact them again until my contract expires so I can cancel my (lack of) service with them. The customer service representative was not friendly at all. I used to work for Hughes aircraft Corporation in California, things must have been very different back in those days. All I can say is that HughesNet should be full of shame. It's a huge waste of money.

Comments:

gmolony

@bellsouth.net

Same Experience

Unfortunately, I had the same experience. We live in a very rural area and at the time it was all we could get. Your comments about customer service and the contract were right on. Very expensive for what you get. We finally got dsl (very slow .5mbs but at least it is unlimited). When I first signed up I bought the equipment from HughesNet and understood I could get a refund when I left and turned it in. Not True. I ended up buying out the contract and throwing the equipment in the woods. It is an absolute last resort!

Review by yolarry See Profile

• Location: Creston,Wirt,WV
Good "a little bit better than dial up."
Bad "Bad Pings, FAP, Crappy Tech Support!"
Overall "Get it only if you have to!"

·Frontier Communi..
If you ever thinking about getting Hughesnet then please remember my rules!

- Rule #1 ITS NOT A HOT ROD!!!!
- No games due to bad pings (maybe facebook games like farmville and Mifia Wars)
- No VOIP (Trust me. I already tried Skype)
- No youtube/netflix until 2am to 7am
- Don't download Heavy files until 2am to 7am

- Limit will always be here during the day restores about 20MB an hour
- Always turn off/manual Windows Update
- Shut off software updates the best you can! (Anti-virus update is alright)
- YOU CAN restore your internet once a month if you FAP (Fair Access Policy)
- Install Hughesnet Status Meter or hnfapalert so you don't have to worry about going over the limit.

If you remember this and use the tools that HughesNet provides, you should be fine but if you a internet hog like me and needs all the bandwidth that you can get then hughesnet is not for you. I suggest you to call any other ISP then HughesNet/Wild Blue see you can get some decent speeds...if you cant get anything else well then learn how to lightly use the internet then just go for it.

I be waiting for something else better like DSL. once I get it, I'm gone!

Update 9.18.2011 after six years I got my Hughesnet repair.. I was really hoping it could hold out until I get DSL. Nope. Thanks to Hughesnet Excutive Customer Support Vu Lee. He was very friendly and give me a proper tech guy that can I understand his speaking. a local repair man came and replace my transmitter and die 2 months. So I called Vu Lee again and they send out another different tech and watch him open transmit brand new out of the box. So 2nd times a charm and they just upgrade speeds to all HN7000S which means I can FAP in 16 mins. Well done Hughesnet well done!

But at least its loaded pages better then I had for 6 years

Update 4.2.2013 Got a power outage and lost my HN7000S config. Just to remind you that installer setup page on DOES NOT WORK with windows 8 with IE10. Lucky I have a windows xp pro laptop with IE6 laying around in case problems like this. Just save a tech from coming out and fix it and charge $125 over that bullcrap.. I counting down the days. I just saw frontier with bunch of trucks and state road cleaning off the phone poles. I ask frontier tech whats going on he said watch for DSL sign pop up near this box soon. He also note fiber optic lines FINALLY! Good bye hughesnet.

Update 4.4.2013 Hughesnet did not cancel my tech visit but it seems they were trying to pull a Gen4 upgrade on me. I decline them and told them I about ready to ditch it. I talk to another frontier tech he said it might happen less then a month. I will update this again.

Update 4.12.2013 So I got a letter in the mail about this frontier broadband. So I thought why not call up and ask them about few questions like "If go with this.. Will I be able to get switch to DSL without locking me into this with some crazy contract to Hughesnet again" So the answer was yes they will switch me when DSL gets here. so I call in Hughesnet and tell them I no longer need their services anymore. 3 days later a "frontier tech" yes a actual frontier person and not some random installer. Anyway he took my HN7000S and dish out and place Hughesnet HT1000 modem and a frontier logo dish. lol. he only needed to use 1 coax cable so I told him just leave the other one because you never know if this one fails. I can switch it around. before he go I ask him if I need to sign a paper or anything and he said no.

Hughesnet Gen4 is not so bad... Frontier tech support is not so bad either. I not sure if anybody bonus bytes different because mine says on the modem 2am to 11AM. I not sure if this a glitch or Frontier forgot to update the page or something..

Update 6.24.2013 I am starting regret upgrading to Gen4. Hughesnet keeps changing the fap system around and also had 2 long outages to the point where I just say screw up and go to bed. So far I haven't been FAP but near close to it. I miss the old Legacy FAP system. I don't really see the point of having all this much speend now since they change the bonus bytes to limited.

Update 10.1.2013 Finally got a phone call today. Friday I be getting DSL

Update 10.6.2013 I am now totally out of Hughesnet for good!

Comments:

yolarry

Redone the review

I just updated the review. I waiting for dsl to come
NYGiants

join:2012-08-31
united state

Get Verizon Wireless instead

Read my review and get from crap.net (what you call Hughes.net ) now.

You'll be happy

»Review of Verizon BroadbandAccess by NYGiants

Verizon Wireless

I dont even have cell service. so useless to me..

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID

I like HughesNet

I dont HAVE to have the service, I choose to, I wont deal with Time Warner or Frontier which is the two other services in my area, I actually don't have any issues with Satellite internet.

Re: I like HughesNet

said by scottymead:

._.
Not sure if trolling.. I guess you don't care about pings.

Creston, WV
oops double post. stupid hughesnet.

Mods delete this reply? thanks.

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID

Re: I like HughesNet

It just works for me with no issues, pings are not a concern, I dont watch videos, play games, etc. I use the internet to keep in touch with family, share pictures of the family with distant family, email, pay bills, etc Thats pretty much it so no pings are not a concern
azelectron
join:2007-07-28

Sharing is caring

"HN7000S 5.8.0.82 - 99 West 1370 MHz - .74m Dish - 1.5mbps down 196kbps up with 375MB CAP - installed October 2007 - Repair September 20011 - Linksys N3000 DD-WRT & WRT54G DD-WRT at neighbors house"

I wouldn't be too picky if you're letting a neighbor siphon your bandwidth too.

Re: Sharing is caring

said by azelectron:

I wouldn't be too picky if you're letting a neighbor siphon your bandwidth too.

That was couple years ago. at the time neighbor was wanted to finish online school and sometimes her dial up connection drop out. so use my internet for backup.. you should check out my updated sig now...
Frontier HT1000 - Linksys E3000 DD-WRT

solveforce
solveforce
join:2007-03-08
Yorba Linda, CA

How about the new Gen4 Satellite Connection by HughesNet?

Has anyone else tried the new Gen4 Satellite connection by HughesNet besides "yolarry"? If so, how is it compared to the prior generation satellite? Is there a big difference? Your answers are truly appreciated!

»www.SolveForce.com has the Telecom Bits

·HughesNet Satell..

Re: How about the new Gen4 Satellite Connection by HughesNet?

said by solveforce:

I am now using Frontier broadband.. It uses Gen4. The speeds great but the caps and ping will always be the major problem. Unlimited time on my end 2am to 11am unlike the old HN7000S 2am to 7am
Frontier HT1000 - Linksys E3000 DD-WRT

NutellaDaddy

It sucks too much

My hughe snet only reaches 300 kbps and during the day it goes down to 2.5 kbps.

Review by wreeve See Profile

• Location: Anchorage,Anchorage,AK
Good "Works in a remote area and was my only real choice"
Bad "Very slow upload speed and latency is really horrible"
Overall "This service is okay but don't expect it to work like your suburban broadband."

As far as I know HughesNet was my only choice near Kasilof, Alaska. The local telephone company couldn't care less about DSL subscribers out here, although they do provide landline telephone service, so I went with the HughesNet. I was pretty confused by the process they use to sign up for the service. They use a contractor who never would answer the phone. I finally got ahold of them by email but even then replies to my inquiries always took several days. Finally, I was able to make an appointment and the installer showed up within the scheduled time window and got his work done without any problems. The service has been reliably slow and the latency is really bad. Upload speed tests don't provide real results because of compression. I see frequent DNS Errors and often have to click on a link twice because of the DNS Error. The hardware supplied by HughesNet has been reliable and I have had no problems with that part. And their automated billing system has worked well.

Comments:

Ann1

HUGHES NET

Unfortunately I have had to use this company for years...They are horrific....Over priced and very poor customer service. They lie through their teeth. I have called FIVE times trying to cancel my account with them.....They refuse to put me through to the correct department.....DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY unless you like being jacked around.....and lied to and like to speak to people in India who cannot speak English...ugh ugh ugh

Kathleen

@egyptian.net

HughesNet is HORRIBLE

I had HughesNet installed in October 2012 and NEVER got the service I was promised. My connection was a lot like dial up. Really that is what they call high speed internet.?. None of my paperwork says that there is a 16 month contract that comes with the service. I never signed any paperwork with the company, and was under contract they said.
I call them in Feb or March 2013 and tell them I wanna cancel, it will cost $240. Ok I didn't have the money then. So I wait a few months and call them back in June (still paying for a service I am not receiving) to cancel and they tell me that before I cancel on a contract (I never signed) they wanted to get the chance to trouble shoot. Okay, if that's what makes you happy go for it. They proceed to check my service and tell me that the problem isn't with their system.... It's my brand new router. Ya I think not. I told them that I wanted to cancel anyway because it wasn't working. The cancellation fee is now $360! I ask them why its a growing termination fee.?. They tell me it isn't a growing fee that the person back then told me it was like $400 to cancel. After arguing with them for 4 hours I finally give up on the hopeless company, and cancel it anyway before my fee grew any higher. They then wanted to charge me a $100 fee to come take the thing off my roof that I didn't tell them to put there. I had a post in my yard for it but they decided to put it on my roof instead. I refused to pay that fee and they decided to waiver it. For the de-install I put my fiance on the account as a SECONDARY number to call when they were going to come out and take their stuff down because I couldn't be home. NOW its Aug 2013 and I am still fighting with the company because they put the entire account under his name. He was just for the de-install.
I couldn't even give this company 1 star. They are terrible. Everyone I talk to that has ever come in contact with the company says they do not get the service they were promised.

Re: HughesNet is HORRIBLE

1000% agreed. Hughesnet is complete BS. The owner should be thrown in prison!

LewisJohn

HughesNet service

Have had the service about 4 months. No other options available at this time in the area. Gen4 promises 5 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload, my experience averages about .7 Mbps and about .3 Mbps upload. Have run numerous tests, at different times, with different speed services with similar results. When I push that thru my wireless router, which is fairly new and quite fast, speeds are even worse. Their price is reasonable but overall their service is deplorable.

Review by Cleve Pete See Profile

• Location: Brunswick,Medina,OH
Bad "Bad Lagging/Slow loading pages"
Overall "Not Recommended/Locked in to 2yrs even if your unhappy"
Mail,DNS,News:

I recently had Hughes installed and I am very displeased b/c loading pages are extremely slow and lagging to the point where I have problems logging into my email account. I called tech support and as I figured they logged in (with problems connecting, mind you) and reset the modem. They argued that my download/upload is ok w/Speedtest but I explained that's not the issue, it's the lagging that's the issue. Since they finished up the dish install yesterday I asked if I was unhappy with the service and this continued can I cancel within so many days. They said I have a two year contract (which was explained) and I cannot, but for $10 more a month I can get a 10GB plan for $59.99. Of course, an upgrade already. For $49.99 a month I shouldn't have this lagging problem. I still have ClearWireless connected in my home and I switch back and forth just to verify it's nothing to do with my computer and I do not have the same issue with the Clear. At this point in time I would not recommend Hughes.

Comments:

royphil345
join:2004-12-10
Lakewood, OH

Sorry to hear...

If speed tests look okay, but pages are still loading slowly, I'd try doing an online test for packet loss. If found, that would indicate a problem they should be able to correct. Also, I would try using a public DNS server in your networking settings. It's possible your provider's is slow.

Good luck! Hope you get things straightened out.

drop sat

Based on your zipcode: 44212
Srint shows 4G Wi Max coverage.

Better option for you is to go with Sprint via Millenicom or Unlimited Clearwire or Verizon via Millenicom.

Clearwire: unlimited
Sprint Millenicom : 50GB
Verizon MIllenicom : 20GB , shows strong LTE coverage

Random girl

@consolidated.net

Liars

They straight up lied about the contract. I signed up for a 2 year contract too, had everything installed and was extremely displeased with the resulting Internet speeds as well. I cancelled 8 days later and was not charged anything for canceling. Go to thier Legal Terms and Conditions page, it lines out when and how you can cancel. Less that 30 days from initiation of contract and you can cancel for free!

Review by abbiegoose See Profile

• Location: Gaston,Lexington,SC
Bad "Hughes is the worst company I have ever dealt with"

Two years ago I moved to a location where Hughes was my only option. It was slow but not enough to make me upset. It got bad when my 2 year contract was up and we started having problems with pages loading. It works normal during the day but later in the evening it starts acting up and we never know when it will work. I have called 2 days in a row and they go through the normal restarting everything and then after an hour they say everything is fine on their end and they blamed it on stuff that wasn't an issue until my contract was up. The last guy mentioned me upgrading and said they would waive the activation fee. I agreed after me and my husband asked many times that we would not have to pay the fee, even though I did not want locked in for another 2 years. After we hung up I had an email and it had a bill showing I would have to pay half of the fee. I had to call back and ended up canceling the upgrade after being told that I would have to pay what the email said. I did not appreciate being lied to and am looking to see if I can find something to replace the company that is nice and willing to help until they no longer have you locked in.

Comments:

Review by gunnerlincol See Profile

• Location: Zionsville,Lehigh,PA
Bad "Worst Company Ever"
Overall "I no longer have the noose called HughesNet around my neck!"
Mail,DNS,News:

After over 7 years I am finally proud to get rid of Hughes Net...hands down, the worst company on this planet! I spent nearly 6 hours on the phone with tech support employees that either don't give a damn or are just plain stupid. My satellite has not been working properly and they aren't even capable of sending a technician to my house. For 1/2 the price, I now have 2.5 times faster download speed without any penalty for downloading too much! I am a paying customer in excellent standing, and all they want to do is charge me more money.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! BEWARE! WORST COMPANY EVER IN THE ENTIRE GALAXY! DO NOT PURCHASE UNLESS YOU LIKE BAD TIMES! WORST TECH SUPPORT EVER! I WOULD RATE 0 OUT OF 100, OR GIVE AN F- ON THE SCALE OF A TO F. WORST COMPANY EVER!

A FORMER CUSTOMER! NOW I AM TRULY HAPPY WITH A REAL INTERNET PROVIDER.

Comments:

bad company

no good company

i have had hughes net for about 3 years it is by far the Worst company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with!!!!! if I had any other way of getting on internet (I cant even get dial up ) I would get rid of them in a heart beat.no customer service at all, u will be on hold for hours then a recording comes on & says to go to their web site,same thing page wont load.all I want to do is change my billing info.what a joke .if u have any other way of getting on inter net I strongly suggest u don't use HUGES NET

obirulez

hughesnet sucks!!

i live pretty far out. So thinking that since hughesnet has that huge dish...on top of my house and in the front where it looks just aweful...but if the service iwas good that we could survive the ugly dish.. but i get worse service than with the DSL i can get with our phone service. and they are far from good... as far as i can tell these 2 are my only choices yuck... anyway hughes net cost more than most.. then sorry service, then you got to play a game with tokens and everything... sheesh! becoz in approx. 3 weeks i use all my time/ space or whatever than you can save the token to get more time, what a laaaugh...who wants to spend the time on that. I sure wish, other companies would get interested in this area... would be nice to really have choices.
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

Re: hughesnet sucks!!

You're joking...right? Can get DSL in some form and you have Hughesnet.You need to see a doctor

DarrelJames

@50.20.187.x

Hughesnet

I have had the pleasure of having Hughes net for 6 months now. I have spent 4 months on the phone trying to get the speed I was paying for. My system would buffer every 15 seconds and sit in a holding pattern for about 2 minutes. I have tried and tried to work the problem with the Hughes Net Customer Service. They agreed there was a problem but would not follow up by sending anyone out to my home. Needing internet service, I needed to reach out to another service. By doing so, they would not negotiate and charged me the entire termination fee. I would highly recommend to consider other services that are available before considering any business from this organization. Very poor customer service, no address to write your inquiries to and no staff available to resolve on site service problems. Very pro-active to not help you.

magfce

@myvzw.com

what company?

gunnerlincol what company do you use now?

Re: what company?

Service Electric....10,000 times better! Very, very happy without Hughesnet

Review by JacksonTech See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Often delivers promised 10Mbit/s with web acceleration disabled"
Bad "Tech support is extremely subpar, low data caps, occasional slowdowns"
Overall "Buy it if there's no other option and understand its limitations"
Mail,DNS,News:

I live in an area where the options for Internet access are dial-up or satellite. I researched a local WISP but there was no line-of-sight to their tower.

Unlike most people, I knew what I was getting into when I signed up. However, I was surprised that the connection is as stable as it is.

I ordered the 10GB/mo plan (10GB during daytime hours, plus 10GB 2-8AM) for $59.99/mo. Purchased the equipment upfront.

There are no public IP addresses available with GEN4. HughesNet uses Carrier-Grade NAT for its IPv4 system--so end-to-end connectivity is broken.

My installer was a joy; he did an extremely professional job mounting the dish and running the coax to my desk. I think treating your installer nicely is a large prerequisite for a tolerable and even enjoyable HughesNet experience.

Tech support is difficult to understand and not particularly helpful. I called them to troubleshoot DNS problems and the most they did was to reboot the modem many times. They have a script, and come hell or high water, they will stick to it. They lack basic technical skills. You will be on the phone for some hours.

"Community Support" takes patience.

I have not used HughesNet email, but judging from what other people say, it is glitchy.

Be aware: the HT1000 modem has a built-in DNS cache that is *very* aggressive. You can use your own DNS servers, but the cache will hold on to any response and serve subsequent responses from the modem while making it look like the original server is responding. This makes it difficult to troubleshoot DNS issues.

The cache does not clear until you restart the modem.

Also be aware that "Web Acceleration" is not as effective as it seems. I turn it off and keep it off, and so enjoy near the promised 10Mbit/s occasionally. However, HughesNet's infrastructure and ground satellite seem to be overloaded.

IPv6 is available, but the modem is what gives out the IPv6 addresses. The prefix is prone to changing. No routed /64s are available as far as I can tell, but this may change.

I use up every byte available to me in the quota and then some. Users are throttled when they exceed the quota but are not charged. The throttle speed (150kbit/s) is slow, but usable for email, chatting, etc.

Bottom line: it's better than dialup, but if you can get DSL, get it instead.

Comments:

Chubb

@suddenlink.net

I agree 100 percent

I too had no other choice, but when DSL came down our road and I bought it. It is easily 10 to 15 times faster at a 33 percent discount to Hughes. And I can use it anytime---unlimited usage.

ZIP so I can help

What is your zipcode?

Biggun

Hughesnet sucks

Slowest IP ever, tech support was rude and arrogant. Modem keeps turning itself off. Horrible. Takes a full FIVE MINUTES to load straighttalk.com.

wbri665

Terrible. Avoid at all cost

The worst, slowest internet service ever! I'm stuck due to my location. DSL is coming soon and I can't wait to get away from hughesnet. Terrible.

Normbc9

@sbcglobal.net

Huhes net service and system

I had the LN 9000. It was so slow that using a old Lap Top with an old line service provider would send and receive in the same time it took me to get on the Hughes network. The service providers would tell me the speeds were quoted as "Up to." I never saw that number in my service history. Glad to be off and on a great service provider. Stay away from Hughes if you can!

• Location: Mountain Ranch,Calaveras,CA
Good "the unlimited data from 11pm to 8 am while it lasted"
Bad "everything"
Overall "i wsh i could cancel without paying etc"
Mail,DNS,News:

i have had hughesnet gen 4 for about 9 months now. i have never gotten the 15 mbps speed in the commercials. the money comes out of my credit card as
soon as the bill is generated. no 2 week grace period with autopay. they used to give me unlimited data from 11pm to 8am pacific time, but they went back
to their official 20 gb between 2 am and 8 am plan with no warning. today with 29 days left of my month, my modem went wonky. there must be a bug in it
but they claim i was using 2 gb per hour every hour from 10am friday to 10 am saturday, so now my allowance for the month is 0 and i only have 4 gb of
bonus bytes for the rest of the month. when i tried to email them, they just sent me a canned email. ive been trying to submit a new case to them to
report the error. but all i get are time out errors on their submit email page. i dont know what to do. i think im gong to have to tell my bank my credit card
got stolen and then prey hughes can't deduct the ETF from me

(review was emailed from domain me.com)

Comments:
patt2k

Wireless

You might be better off with Millenicom which runs on VZW Network. 70$ , 20GB of data.

Based on this zipcode: 95252 there is extended 3G coverage it might be better then sat.

Good luck

Ssgtranger42

@mycingular.net

1 recommendation

Avoid hughsnet!!

ExaMy name is Ssgt Johnson, a combat wounded veteran. Recently moved to NY we are located a few miles outside the nearest city so we tried Hugh's net because of our location. The first month the Internet worked but absolutely no downloading or streaming. We used up our allotment of coins just trying to stream but never successful. I called there customer service and they said I would have to pay for a tech to come out but to first try buying a new router and moving it to a different location in the house. I went and bought 50 ft of Ethernet cable to move the new router. We were still unable to download or stream and the Internet was too slow to use. I called again and they said they would not send a tech out unless I paid for it. We decided to try a different service provider and cancel hughsnet. They said we were contracted in and it didn't matter that the service never worked. We have to pay a 500 dollar cancellation fee and remove satellite from the roof ourselves to send it back to them. I fell while trying to take down the satellite and landed on my prosthetic that covers the amputated part of my arm. AVOID HUGHsNET at all cost. Even if you get service from them they have a very low cap to how much Internet you can use. There customer service is atrosish and they will screw you every chance they get!!!mple: Sears broken washing machine

BEWARE

@wifielite.com

1 recommendation

HuesNet business practices

If you cancel your service with HuesNet and they say they will prorate your account, its a lie. They will put the money into your HuesNet account not your credit card account: they still have your money and they will not return it to your credit card until you waste your valuable time babysitting this company making sure your credit card has been credited. A month or so later, if you even remember to check up on them, you have to play the game of speaking to many HuesNet employees, always ones with heavy accents that you are unable to understand, and being hung up on numerous times. I ask 3-4 employees if this was normal business practice to keep customer's money; one told me yes and the others avoided/redirected the question, making it pretty obvious it is normal - they keep your money!!!
This is not a reputable company to do business with and if you can avoid them you would save yourself a lot of headaches.
Oh, you also need to know that their internet service to your home is just as bad as their reputation/customer service on returning your money --- lousy and very slow.

• Location: Groveland,Tuolumne,CA
Good "Once up, service provides sort of fast internet access in rural areas."
Bad "Terrible customer service. Lots of walls to stop you from receiving what they promised."
Overall "For some, only came in town"

I have had this service for the last 5 months and at first I was total dis-
satisfied. Once I fought my way through all their road blocks and received
my "first month is Free" offer and then finally received my equipment rebate
I am a bit more happy. There is no doubt that their customer service is
terrible and I will do anything to avoid calling them. Having said all this,
and with the knowledge that I live in the boondocks, their speeds generally
are close to the 10Mbs promised. The latency is usually around 500 to 900
mill-seconds, I have learned patience . All I can hope is that DSL or
better service finally gets into the mountains and I will drop Hughes like
a hot potato.

(review was emailed from domain yahoo.com)

Comments:
patt2k

Vzw

Do you have verizon service at your place ? Wireless

Fred262

@direcpc.com

Re: Vzw

Verison data card service is available through a local re-seller. The service is slow and drops out a lot on busy weekends. I left that service to go to Hughes Gen4

Re: Vzw

I will try to help you , what is your zipcode?

and no I don't work for Verizon but if you have LTE you might be better off with Millenicom 70$ for 20GB on VZW network.

Zionsville, PA
Good luck trying to drop them. It will always be the customers fault. As a customer of 7+ years, they wanted to charge me $299 for canceling. That's loyalty! It was clearly my fault that their cable and dish went bad.

Review by notech See Profile

Good "Provides a service to remote locations where other company don't go"
Bad "Lies, Will not admit problems, Terrible service and support"
Overall "Do not use them unless you have no other option"
Mail,DNS,News:

HughesNet is *the* worst company I have *ever* dealt with. Their service is intermittent at best with constant recurring problems that take months to resolve, then work for a short time, only to go through months of tech support again. They have on three occasions given me credit for poor service only to tack on mysterious other charges that negate the credit. When I discovered this it took two weeks to resolve the problem and they credited me hundreds in over billing. The only reason I am still with them is that I am still working through the credit.

The tech support is so bad. When common problems arise I have to wait 30-60 minutes on hold for a tech person. Many times the line cuts off before I speak to anyone. When I do get through the tech people literally have no clue about the products they are supporting. I have frequently pointed out specific problems (networking background) and they will not admit the problem exists. They have hung up on me many times without addressing the issues. On a number of occasions I had supervisors talking over me and yelling.

Escalating problems takes a very long time. Normally they state 2-3 business days for a response but I have never in the quoted time frame. Most of the time it takes the a week and involves me hounding them for a response. IF they ever get a problem fixed they will not tell you what it was. Problems come back quickly and I have to start from Tier 1 support every time even though I know what the problem is and that it needs Tier 3 support. The Tier 1 techs will lie almost every time I call and often make up nonsensical explanations.

I have wasted so much time calling this company. In the last year I have easily spent over a hundred hours. I have 3 cordless phones and carry them around with me waiting for tech support to pick up. A number of times I have used up the batteries in all 3 phone in one day trying to get a problem addressed.

The moment another company offers service in my area I will switch. I have considered going back to multi line dialup many times.