HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by lancel

• Location: trgiaxk
Good "lancel french flair"
Bad "lancel french flair"
Overall "lancel french flair"

being gigantic may not be enough of any attention getter now make these folks red accompanied by a yellow horses!! lancel french flair »www.saclancelpascher.biz/sac-lan···-10.html

(review was emailed in)

Comments:

Review by tglass See Profile

• Location: Riverside,Riverside,CA
Good "Adequate for surfing the web, e-mail and other lower demand tasks."
Bad "Download caps and time restrictions. Expensive for what you get."
Mail,DNS,News:

My son lives in rural Arkansas so satellite is the only available service. To me it is expensive, for 6MBPS service it's about $70 per month. In California I pay $60 per month for service of 24MBPS download with no cap that I am aware of. It comes bundled in a package which includes TV with all the premium channels and phone service for a total of $170 month.

With Hughes we can only upload/download 10 Gigs per month and if exceeded it chokes to dial up speed and then we have to buy tokens @ $5 per 500MB to restore hi speed service. When at home I watch alot of live streaming video but I can't do it here or I'll use up my sons allotment in a matter of few days. They do have a free period that runs from 1:00 am till 10:00 am locally, but with live streaming I have to watch while it's on not when the isp lets me.

The weather here can be very bad to outright killer. So as you try to get info on severe storms or tornado watches in your area the service drops out due to heavy rain or snow.

I have had to call customer service on several occasions and I must say every agent I have spoken to was professional and knowledgeable. In each instance my problem was resolved on the 1st call. Also the hold times were not outrageously long.

Bottom line is if it is the only game in town you gotta go. But I would certainly research alternatives for both price and performance.

Comments:

Review by Pesimist See Profile

• Location: Valley,Chambers,AL
Good "Connection speed on ProPlus of 1200/155 only in the AM (EST). Fine if you don't use Hughes in the afternoons or evenings,"
Bad "Customer service from India & Can't reach upper levels of tech support"
Overall "If you want to blow money for substandard service - Go with Hughes or stay with Dial up."

·AT&T Southeast
Wow, 5-years since I dumped this crooked outfit, still visit the Hughes forums here frequently. Feel very sorry for those that don't have any alternate.

30 January 2008 - Bye Bye Hughes!

January 2008 (7-months with Hughes)
Well...All good things come and go, in this case the good was my original downloads of 1.1 - 1.2Mbps, which are now a thing of the past. I'm on the "ProPlus" 1.5Mbps/200kbps plan.
January 26th, 04:30PM - 268/26 kbps
January 25th, 08:23PM - 56/7 kbps
January 24th, 09:06PM - 331/7 kbps
January 23rd, 06:38PM - 81/26 kbps
January 22nd, 07:59PM - 63/19 kbps
January 21st, 07:41PM - 537/7 kbps

Speedtests after 9PM couldn't be accomplished, uploads went to zero (0), as well as my internet connection.

Comments:

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID
·HughesNet Satell..

I have more options

I have more options such has Frontier and Time Warner, but choose HugheNet for my internet, I haven't had any issues with my service, I am not a gamer, or one that watches movies off of netflix, I just do normal everyday stuff and it has always worked just fine, my speed tests have always been decent (5Mbps+)

Maybe I dont notice any issues because typically the hours im using it is between 11pm and 7am and here and there during the day.

Review by erossmus

• Location: King George,King George,VA
Good "none"
Bad "incompetence"
Overall "Don't go down that rabbit hole"
Mail,DNS,News:

HN7000s svc. failed. Repair order reportedly cancelled by me. Got talked into upgrade to gen 4. Installer defied Hughes install agreement and wanted $125 to poke holes in my roof as though that were my only option. Cancelled the account and Hughes calls a week later, spoke to a very sympathetic lady from Missouri who offered free install on mast, upgrade to gen 4 no contract. Pretty good deal, she gave the 800 # in case it took more than 2 days for install to get scheduled. Called on day 3: no install order in system. All she did was re-activate the billing account and tack on a $30.00 re-activation fee.

(review was emailed from domain hughes.net)

Comments:
rulds

join:2011-07-30
·DSL EXTREME
·Cox HSI

FOr the lack of a better word insane.

Should you have learned your lesson the first time I would give my sympathy. You need to call her back and tell her to forget it. You don't got anything installed so there should not be any reactive account.

They legally cannot charge you for something you are not getting or I am missing something here?

Also I hope you were not expecting a wall fish or something like that. Yeah I would charge you $150.00 as well to climb a ladder and point a dish and drill holes because the house is already built your going to have exposed wire tacked down as well. You got to understand a couple things here.

1. The installer may be 3rd party making 30 bucks for the install whilst the company gets the other 70 or more percent for there pockets.

2. The vehicle they run is private meaning gas and insurance these people are 1099's that are trying to put dinner on the table for there families.

3. Should you not want the service why did you call?

So that sales person called you back thinking you were already installed to lock in that sale... Now you want a tripod and wall fish? For 150 or for free? No way.

The geeks were right
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

Re: FOr the lack of a better word insane.

This guy is within Verizon's 4G LTE.

Coverage map for his zip code : 22485
Shows Verizon 4G LTe & Extended.

Millenicom is a prepaid provider 20GB on Verizon's Network / 50GB on Sprints.
For 50$ he should give it a shot.

And no I don't work for millenicom,just trying to help out people with crap sat.

Review by jmpenguin See Profile

• Location: Labelle,Hendry,FL
Good "All ways on capable no phone line tied up"
Bad "Weather locally and at NOC,"
Overall "Great - bought 5 more systems Dec 2004 3 more Sep 2005"
Mail,DNS,News:

January 2010 - We bought a new house and now have Comcast Internet (Ugh)
April 2013 Comcast has improved greatly in past few years.
I am retired from county but still do consulting
My old comments still apply

Yes I know some people have a lot of problems. However we have no other high speed alternative. Speed wise compares to T! connection at office which is shared with about 100 other users over a WAN county wide.
Tech support seldom call them, Worked with HNS engineer to solve VPN problem with 7700 systems Installer for upgrade and new systems (8) was super met me at one site at 6:30 AM
I don't play games, download music.
Our home county was brushed by 4 hurricanes in 2004, I never lost Internet once, Sprint Phone lines were down ,Courthiouse lost Internet for 4 days.
Sprint became Embarq then became Century Link - service is still the same just changed their name no improvements, more and more locals dropping DSL and phone going to Comcast
Hughesnet keeps improving great for people needing reliable connections and not have to worry about lines being cut while tech making changes somewhere between your house and CO.

Comments:

Homer

@myvzw.com

HughesNet

was a hughesnet customer for years, actually signed up with direcway before hughesnet bought them out. Stuck with them until 2012, late in 2011 my service slowed to a crawl, called and had to update to newest sat service. Service again slowed down in June, called in and was told I would have to update to Gen 4.
The service had gotten so slow that you could not access the Hughesnet self-diagnosis video on their website, buffered for 3 hours and still hadn't gotten through over 13 minutes of the videos. We have verizon smart phones through our office so I ended up using my smart phone as a hotspot and added 3 gig per month, we skype, bank, basically do everything except download netflix. The additional data cost $15 per month, damn cheap internet service and very reliable. For those interested, google the United States home office phone number for Hughes Net if you want to cancel, they train the overseas call centers to hang up on anyone trying to cancel, also train them to deny that there are any United States phone numbers for the Hughes Net offices. Pretty funny, stupid morons don't know anything except what they are told to read off the default screens in response to any question.

Review by mr_saxman See Profile

• Location: Oskaloosa,Jefferson,KS
Good "Decent Speed for people with no other options"
Bad "High lag, bad weather, FAP"
Overall "If you live in the country with nothing else, this is one of the better internet options"
Mail,DNS,News:

HughesNet is great for anyone that cant get cable or DSL. Speed is fair, usually around 5mB/s (4G speed are around 15) It's great for email, browsing the web, online shopping stuff like that. Playing MMPOG isn't going to work very well as well as anything like Skyping due to the high latency. Also be sure only to download large files during the free period 2-7AM EST

Comments:

Review by bzmingus

• Location: Byron,Ogle,IL
Good "better than dial up"
Bad "Trouble with HTTPS, worst customer service EVER. IN HISTORY. I mean EVERy"
Overall "STAY AWAY"
Mail,DNS,News:

Got Hughes.net 5/31/11 under the recovery act. Very hard to find useful, relevant information about the recovery act. But Hughes.net offered it with no install fee, and no contract. 15. Mbps down, something like 256K up, but up didn't count against usage. Started at I think $50 bucks a month, all told. By the 3/1/2103 it was up to 65$.

Considering what I upgraded from (DIAL-UP) it was pretty good. But it was not reliable. Modem needed to be reset probably once or twice a week. Did not always play well with my wireless router. Fast? Well, faster than dial up. 1.5 Mbps means 1.5Mbs at best, and best means once in a blue moon. Most of the time, it was more like 256-500K. I could watch YouTube, if i let it buffer half way first. Netflix? No way.

A year or so after I got it, they went to a new 'bank' system, which would automatically carry over your unused bandwidth for each day (my plan was 250 MB per day) to the next day, with a max of two days (500MB) in the bank.Even with this, I ran out of bandwidth on a regular basis, and had to purchase a renewal token ($5 each, 3 for $12.50). Each one good for 250 Mb. That was my own deal, I knew the limit when I signed up, I don;t hold that against them.

The worst part, the deal breaker, was that Hughes.net has trouble with secure web pages (pages that start with ») Not always, but when trouble happened, it shut them down. All of them. Completely. For us that meant no online banking, no online class access, no bill pay. Pretty much nothing except IMDB and Weather.com.

Long story short, I decided to upgrade to Gen4. Until i looked in to it. I discovered that under Gen4, there would no longer be a FAP free zone. (Currently 2-7am) And under Gen4 all traffic would count, download AND upload. True they offered 'bonus bytes' which make it sound like you are getting twice as much bandwidth, but really what it meant was 'no more FAP free time. Now FAP free time is limited to your bonus bytes, and if you use all them up, we will take the bytes out of your regular bandwidth. Plus they would charge me 250 bucks to upgrade. (Free for new customers though)

So I looked in to Exede by WildBlue. Still 250 bucks to install, but that would include the modem lease for two years( $10 a month) So I cancelled the Gen4 upgrade and went with Exede.

When I called to cancel Hughes.net, I called six time over a three day period. Six times!!! And I got hung up on by hughes.net. SIX TIMES! When i finally did talk to them to cancel, they offered me a FREE MONTH of Hughes.net if I would stay! Once i got them to understand that i did not want their service anymore, they agreed to cancel it, they told me it would take effect in thirty days. Wait, i said. you're saying i already paid for the next month? When did that happen? Today, he says. WHAT??? They hung up on me for THREE days, then BILLED me for the next month. No thank you very much. Finally argued the charge back off and they cancelled the service. Then he let me know that if i changed my mind and reactivated my service, there would be a $25 dollar reactivation fee. HA HA HA HA HA

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by buddyochoa2 See Profile

• Location: Thorn Hill,Grainger,TN
Good "New Gen4 service comparable to a landline service."
Bad "Download limits for new customers, a bit costly"
Overall "Great for people who live out in the boondocks, with no other options."
Mail,DNS,News:

We have had HughesNet for about a year now. When we started we had the 1Mbps down plan using the old HN9000. The quality was spotty at best, usually throwing a DNS error a few times on every new page. Just recently we were upgraded to the new Gen4 service and the improvment was immense. Web pages load within seconds, and I have yet to see an error of any kind. We were able to keep our unlimited download zone, and got a speed increase to a 10Mbps download. Speed tests have never shown the full 10Mbps, but usually show 5-7 which is a huge improvment over the old service. Unfortunately the new subscribers to Gen4 have Bonus Bytes from 2-8am and don't get the unlimited download. For someone who doesn't need that, its completely worth it.

Comments:

Review by lrymal See Profile

• Location: Joaquin,Shelby,TX
Good "FAST! GEN4 I'm rural! No cell, no cable modem, no DSL. This is all I got!"
Bad "Latency (unavoidable due to it being satellite) may cause website timeouts"
Overall "No other options! So far, I'm delighted, for my purposes (no video gaming, etc.)"
Mail,DNS,News:
(ratings well above consensus)

I have been on the new GEN4 and am extremely satisfied. My previous HughesNet averaged about 2500-3500 whereas GEN4 is NOW averaging 7000-10000. Upload speed is easily triple what I had with the previous HughesNet.

HughesNet contracts out with satellite installers, so one is at their mercy. My installer who scrapped my previous system and installed the new GEN4 was pleasant, competent, and explained as he went along. He didn't seem to mind my shadowing him.

Background here is very rural. No DSL, No cell signal, no cable modem. So far, I'm delighted, for my purposes (no video gaming, etc.) No video-on-demand. E-mail, Facebook, webpage content is the main demand here.

Comments:
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

?

just wondering never heard of anyone not being able to get even cell service , not even verizon services your area? I mean Verizon Wireless.

Thanks just wondering

admin123

@myvzw.com

Re: ?

Theres lots of ppl can't get wireless .
lrymal

join:2004-02-24
Joaquin, TX

No wireless

No cell phone signal here. No microwave... NADA. HughesNet is IT.

Review by pistachionut See Profile

• Location: Waverly,Wood,WV
Good "Rural availability"
Bad "Download Cap, Price"
Overall "Satisfactory alternative, do your research"
Mail,DNS,News:

UPDATE: 3-10-13

Just streamed a VOD HD movie through DirecTV last night, didn't stutter once. Yeah it eats a large chunk of the monthly allowance but I was impressed. Just another testament about how far satellite internet has come over the years.

Dec. 8, 2012:

Decided it was time to update this as the original review was many years old and hinged from the initial days of the 7000 series service. Currently using Gen4.

Satellite service is demonized but if you know what you are getting into with some research then your expectations wont be ridiculous.

Is this comparable to Fiber Based? No. Is this comparable to Cable Based? No. Is this comparable to DSL based? No. Is this comparable to Cell Based? Loosely.

Satellite is considered as a last resort service, and it is marketed as such by the companies themselves. If you live in town and get pissed at your cable/phone provider, this is not your solution.

First, it is expensive. Plans generally range from $50.00 to $130.00, depending on if you bundle with a satellite TV provider, speeds wanted and data allowance...and that cost is pre-tax and pre-lease. These guys are just like your cable and phone companies. They advertise one price but hide the actual price in modem lease and other bogus fees. So plan on your final cost being 10-15 dollars higher than the advertised price.

Second, latency is not your friend. If you are reading this and frequently visit this site then you are probably more tech savvy than the average Internet user and know exactly what I mean. Pings are going to range from 750 to 2000+ consistently. Good for online gaming? No. Good for VOIP phone? No. Skype? No. You get the idea (compare to fiber/cable/dsl where good pings can be 40 or lower).

Third, you'll be agreeing to a contract (24 months)...UNLESS you want to pay substantially more for your intial hookup and purchase your equipment. Last I checked Hughes still offered this method and it would drop the 10 dollars a month lease off your monthly bill.

Fourth, data allowance. Think that cable companies 250 GB cap is ridiculous? Try 20 or 30 gigs, and even that is split between anytime and "bonus bytes" available for use in a 2AM - 8AM window.
Basically the plan I am on gives me a total of 30 gigs. I have 15 gigs to use whenever I please. I have another 15 gigs for use during the 2-8AM window. If I exceed the 15 gig bonus bytes it starts digging into my anytime data. If I hit all 30 GB 10 days into my current month, tough cookies. I either deal with the drastic speed reduction til reset or I can purchase restore tokens for some extra data allowance. While not crazy expensive, they are still a slap on the face for what little data you get for the price.

Fifth, speed. My currently download speed SHOULD be 12mb down. Do I get this speed? Rarely, if ever. Speeds range from 150K to 10M in my speed tests so far. But they are consistently higher that what I received on the 7000 and 9000 series.

Just sounds horrible, right? Why on earth would you ever get this monstrosity?? Lets explain some good stuff.

First, while expensive it is cheaper than ever before. Initial startup costs can be virtually zero dollars with mail-in rebates and "ever present" sales. The first time I installed satellite it cost over $400 day one. Now you can get it done for $50 or less.

Second, latency. While the pings are high, they are better. So far on GEN4 im seeing pings staying below 1000, whereas before it was usually above 1000 and often 2000.

Fourth, data allowance. They aren't great, but they have improved. You are getting more data for the price now, and the adoption of tokens is a good, if expensive, way to still use your service if you accidentallly download that huge file because you left your computer on overnight, etc. There was a time this was not an option (you hit the cap? too bad - deal with it till the reset)

Fifth, speed. They are higher, and more consistent, and work better with the newer technology. My first satellite connection was 500k, now it is 12M, there was a time I thought Id never get these speeds.

Basically people do your research and set realistic expectations with satellite internet service. It has its niche and place, and If you understand what it is and what it's for you wont come on here and give it a 0% review because you thought it was like cable/fiber/dsl when you moved from the city to the country.

One last thing. And this is a pro, remember that super derecho back in late June, did massive damage and all that. My satellite was still working. Didnt have to wait on the utlities to fix thousands of miles of lines.

Comments:

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID

impressed

I as well am impressed with Hughes Net I have never had issues with the service. About a month ago I downloaded Windows 8 and the download only took 25 minutes for 2GB