HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by jmpenguin See Profile

• Location: Labelle,Hendry,FL
Good "All ways on capable no phone line tied up"
Bad "Weather locally and at NOC,"
Overall "Great - bought 5 more systems Dec 2004 3 more Sep 2005"
Mail,DNS,News:

January 2010 - We bought a new house and now have Comcast Internet (Ugh)
April 2013 Comcast has improved greatly in past few years.
I am retired from county but still do consulting
My old comments still apply

Yes I know some people have a lot of problems. However we have no other high speed alternative. Speed wise compares to T! connection at office which is shared with about 100 other users over a WAN county wide.
Tech support seldom call them, Worked with HNS engineer to solve VPN problem with 7700 systems Installer for upgrade and new systems (8) was super met me at one site at 6:30 AM
I don't play games, download music.
Our home county was brushed by 4 hurricanes in 2004, I never lost Internet once, Sprint Phone lines were down ,Courthiouse lost Internet for 4 days.
Sprint became Embarq then became Century Link - service is still the same just changed their name no improvements, more and more locals dropping DSL and phone going to Comcast
Hughesnet keeps improving great for people needing reliable connections and not have to worry about lines being cut while tech making changes somewhere between your house and CO.

member for 10.5 years, 1713 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Homer

HughesNet

was a hughesnet customer for years, actually signed up with direcway before hughesnet bought them out. Stuck with them until 2012, late in 2011 my service slowed to a crawl, called and had to update to newest sat service. Service again slowed down in June, called in and was told I would have to update to Gen 4.
The service had gotten so slow that you could not access the Hughesnet self-diagnosis video on their website, buffered for 3 hours and still hadn't gotten through over 13 minutes of the videos. We have verizon smart phones through our office so I ended up using my smart phone as a hotspot and added 3 gig per month, we skype, bank, basically do everything except download netflix. The additional data cost $15 per month, damn cheap internet service and very reliable. For those interested, google the United States home office phone number for Hughes Net if you want to cancel, they train the overseas call centers to hang up on anyone trying to cancel, also train them to deny that there are any United States phone numbers for the Hughes Net offices. Pretty funny, stupid morons don't know anything except what they are told to read off the default screens in response to any question.

Review by mr_saxman See Profile

• Location: Oskaloosa,Jefferson,KS
Good "Decent Speed for people with no other options"
Bad "High lag, bad weather, FAP"
Overall "If you live in the country with nothing else, this is one of the better internet options"
Mail,DNS,News:

HughesNet is great for anyone that cant get cable or DSL. Speed is fair, usually around 5mB/s (4G speed are around 15) It's great for email, browsing the web, online shopping stuff like that. Playing MMPOG isn't going to work very well as well as anything like Skyping due to the high latency. Also be sure only to download large files during the free period 2-7AM EST

Comments:

Review by bzmingus

• Location: Byron,Ogle,IL
Good "better than dial up"
Bad "Trouble with HTTPS, worst customer service EVER. IN HISTORY. I mean EVERy"
Overall "STAY AWAY"
Mail,DNS,News:

Got Hughes.net 5/31/11 under the recovery act. Very hard to find useful, relevant information about the recovery act. But Hughes.net offered it with no install fee, and no contract. 15. Mbps down, something like 256K up, but up didn't count against usage. Started at I think $50 bucks a month, all told. By the 3/1/2103 it was up to 65$.

Considering what I upgraded from (DIAL-UP) it was pretty good. But it was not reliable. Modem needed to be reset probably once or twice a week. Did not always play well with my wireless router. Fast? Well, faster than dial up. 1.5 Mbps means 1.5Mbs at best, and best means once in a blue moon. Most of the time, it was more like 256-500K. I could watch YouTube, if i let it buffer half way first. Netflix? No way.

A year or so after I got it, they went to a new 'bank' system, which would automatically carry over your unused bandwidth for each day (my plan was 250 MB per day) to the next day, with a max of two days (500MB) in the bank.Even with this, I ran out of bandwidth on a regular basis, and had to purchase a renewal token ($5 each, 3 for $12.50). Each one good for 250 Mb. That was my own deal, I knew the limit when I signed up, I don;t hold that against them.

The worst part, the deal breaker, was that Hughes.net has trouble with secure web pages (pages that start with ») Not always, but when trouble happened, it shut them down. All of them. Completely. For us that meant no online banking, no online class access, no bill pay. Pretty much nothing except IMDB and Weather.com.

Long story short, I decided to upgrade to Gen4. Until i looked in to it. I discovered that under Gen4, there would no longer be a FAP free zone. (Currently 2-7am) And under Gen4 all traffic would count, download AND upload. True they offered 'bonus bytes' which make it sound like you are getting twice as much bandwidth, but really what it meant was 'no more FAP free time. Now FAP free time is limited to your bonus bytes, and if you use all them up, we will take the bytes out of your regular bandwidth. Plus they would charge me 250 bucks to upgrade. (Free for new customers though)

So I looked in to Exede by WildBlue. Still 250 bucks to install, but that would include the modem lease for two years( $10 a month) So I cancelled the Gen4 upgrade and went with Exede.

When I called to cancel Hughes.net, I called six time over a three day period. Six times!!! And I got hung up on by hughes.net. SIX TIMES! When i finally did talk to them to cancel, they offered me a FREE MONTH of Hughes.net if I would stay! Once i got them to understand that i did not want their service anymore, they agreed to cancel it, they told me it would take effect in thirty days. Wait, i said. you're saying i already paid for the next month? When did that happen? Today, he says. WHAT??? They hung up on me for THREE days, then BILLED me for the next month. No thank you very much. Finally argued the charge back off and they cancelled the service. Then he let me know that if i changed my mind and reactivated my service, there would be a $25 dollar reactivation fee. HA HA HA HA HA

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by buddyochoa2 See Profile

• Location: Thorn Hill,Grainger,TN
Good "New Gen4 service comparable to a landline service."
Bad "Download limits for new customers, a bit costly"
Overall "Great for people who live out in the boondocks, with no other options."
Mail,DNS,News:

We have had HughesNet for about a year now. When we started we had the 1Mbps down plan using the old HN9000. The quality was spotty at best, usually throwing a DNS error a few times on every new page. Just recently we were upgraded to the new Gen4 service and the improvment was immense. Web pages load within seconds, and I have yet to see an error of any kind. We were able to keep our unlimited download zone, and got a speed increase to a 10Mbps download. Speed tests have never shown the full 10Mbps, but usually show 5-7 which is a huge improvment over the old service. Unfortunately the new subscribers to Gen4 have Bonus Bytes from 2-8am and don't get the unlimited download. For someone who doesn't need that, its completely worth it.

Comments:

Review by lrymal See Profile

• Location: Joaquin,Shelby,TX
Good "FAST! GEN4 I'm rural! No cell, no cable modem, no DSL. This is all I got!"
Bad "Latency (unavoidable due to it being satellite) may cause website timeouts"
Overall "No other options! So far, I'm delighted, for my purposes (no video gaming, etc.)"
Mail,DNS,News:
(ratings well above consensus)

I have been on the new GEN4 and am extremely satisfied. My previous HughesNet averaged about 2500-3500 whereas GEN4 is NOW averaging 7000-10000. Upload speed is easily triple what I had with the previous HughesNet.

HughesNet contracts out with satellite installers, so one is at their mercy. My installer who scrapped my previous system and installed the new GEN4 was pleasant, competent, and explained as he went along. He didn't seem to mind my shadowing him.

Background here is very rural. No DSL, No cell signal, no cable modem. So far, I'm delighted, for my purposes (no video gaming, etc.) No video-on-demand. E-mail, Facebook, webpage content is the main demand here.

Comments:
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

?

just wondering never heard of anyone not being able to get even cell service , not even verizon services your area? I mean Verizon Wireless.

Thanks just wondering

admin123

Re: ?

Theres lots of ppl can't get wireless .
lrymal

join:2004-02-24
Joaquin, TX

No wireless

No cell phone signal here. No microwave... NADA. HughesNet is IT.

Review by pistachionut See Profile

• Location: Waverly,Wood,WV
Good "Rural availability"
Bad "Download Cap, Price"
Overall "Satisfactory alternative, do your research"
Mail,DNS,News:

UPDATE: 3-10-13

Just streamed a VOD HD movie through DirecTV last night, didn't stutter once. Yeah it eats a large chunk of the monthly allowance but I was impressed. Just another testament about how far satellite internet has come over the years.

Dec. 8, 2012:

Decided it was time to update this as the original review was many years old and hinged from the initial days of the 7000 series service. Currently using Gen4.

Satellite service is demonized but if you know what you are getting into with some research then your expectations wont be ridiculous.

Is this comparable to Fiber Based? No. Is this comparable to Cable Based? No. Is this comparable to DSL based? No. Is this comparable to Cell Based? Loosely.

Satellite is considered as a last resort service, and it is marketed as such by the companies themselves. If you live in town and get pissed at your cable/phone provider, this is not your solution.

First, it is expensive. Plans generally range from $50.00 to $130.00, depending on if you bundle with a satellite TV provider, speeds wanted and data allowance...and that cost is pre-tax and pre-lease. These guys are just like your cable and phone companies. They advertise one price but hide the actual price in modem lease and other bogus fees. So plan on your final cost being 10-15 dollars higher than the advertised price.

Second, latency is not your friend. If you are reading this and frequently visit this site then you are probably more tech savvy than the average Internet user and know exactly what I mean. Pings are going to range from 750 to 2000+ consistently. Good for online gaming? No. Good for VOIP phone? No. Skype? No. You get the idea (compare to fiber/cable/dsl where good pings can be 40 or lower).

Third, you'll be agreeing to a contract (24 months)...UNLESS you want to pay substantially more for your intial hookup and purchase your equipment. Last I checked Hughes still offered this method and it would drop the 10 dollars a month lease off your monthly bill.

Fourth, data allowance. Think that cable companies 250 GB cap is ridiculous? Try 20 or 30 gigs, and even that is split between anytime and "bonus bytes" available for use in a 2AM - 8AM window.
Basically the plan I am on gives me a total of 30 gigs. I have 15 gigs to use whenever I please. I have another 15 gigs for use during the 2-8AM window. If I exceed the 15 gig bonus bytes it starts digging into my anytime data. If I hit all 30 GB 10 days into my current month, tough cookies. I either deal with the drastic speed reduction til reset or I can purchase restore tokens for some extra data allowance. While not crazy expensive, they are still a slap on the face for what little data you get for the price.

Fifth, speed. My currently download speed SHOULD be 12mb down. Do I get this speed? Rarely, if ever. Speeds range from 150K to 10M in my speed tests so far. But they are consistently higher that what I received on the 7000 and 9000 series.

Just sounds horrible, right? Why on earth would you ever get this monstrosity?? Lets explain some good stuff.

First, while expensive it is cheaper than ever before. Initial startup costs can be virtually zero dollars with mail-in rebates and "ever present" sales. The first time I installed satellite it cost over $400 day one. Now you can get it done for $50 or less.

Second, latency. While the pings are high, they are better. So far on GEN4 im seeing pings staying below 1000, whereas before it was usually above 1000 and often 2000.

Fourth, data allowance. They aren't great, but they have improved. You are getting more data for the price now, and the adoption of tokens is a good, if expensive, way to still use your service if you accidentallly download that huge file because you left your computer on overnight, etc. There was a time this was not an option (you hit the cap? too bad - deal with it till the reset)

Fifth, speed. They are higher, and more consistent, and work better with the newer technology. My first satellite connection was 500k, now it is 12M, there was a time I thought Id never get these speeds.

Basically people do your research and set realistic expectations with satellite internet service. It has its niche and place, and If you understand what it is and what it's for you wont come on here and give it a 0% review because you thought it was like cable/fiber/dsl when you moved from the city to the country.

One last thing. And this is a pro, remember that super derecho back in late June, did massive damage and all that. My satellite was still working. Didnt have to wait on the utlities to fix thousands of miles of lines.

Comments:

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID

impressed

I as well am impressed with Hughes Net I have never had issues with the service. About a month ago I downloaded Windows 8 and the download only took 25 minutes for 2GB

• Location: Siler,Whitley,KY
Overall "hughesnet gen 4 worst ever"
Mail,DNS,News:

ok were do i start??? i reacttavte my service call them ask the full amount they told me so i payed it.

my bill isnt due till 4-27-13,so the page pops up and says my service is interruppted ,so i call they say i need to pay a hundred 25 dollars now for this page to go away and fo rme to use the service again!and my bill isnt due for a nother 20 days ,,what a bunch of crap this guy was saying,,,,,,and the service really sucks slow all the time,,bill always high,,and they always tell you a bunch of crap on the phone.

wish i never installed this gen 4 .

i just dont undersatnd how you have to pay your bill every 2 or 3 weeks to have internet?

well that what he was saying.

ive pay them a lot of money and they just want more.

another 125 dollars wene i planily called them and ask what was the full amount of the bill i need to pay and they told me excatly the amount now there saying 2 weeks later that we need to pay 125 now for our service to work for 20 more days wene our bill is due the 27 ,gen4 and hughes net can kiss my @#$ i aint giving them more money its to high NOW..o well il just get wildblue or some other service .

maybe they isnt as bad as gen 4... i no my typing sucks but so do hughes net gen 4 two............

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

lol

I have no idea what you wrote lol , cancel them get verizon LTE or something.

admin123

Re: lol

I understand him satellite sucks .

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter
I'm going to guess is there was an extra charge for install or expensive fluids for the executives bowel cleansing, so since Hughesnet could not access the funds via a credit card or auto bank withdrawal, they cut his service and put up a pay window.

A lot of services are 'pay for the month ahead' , so the company can try to ensure no loss of revenue from billing issues.

HOODSTR

@direcway.com

Hughesnet. sucks

IT IS NOT JUST as easy as cancelling and getting somebody else. they lock you into a 24 month contract & overcharge you at will. You will not get an English speaking person on the phone to discuss. You will not get ANYONE on the phone for over 40 minutes of wait time. You will be told by this non-english speaking person that they will resolve the problem and they do not. You will be told you will get an email and you do not. Then they will CHARGE YOU AGAIN!! This company is a grand scam & their service is the WORST!! If you are in the country, you don't have a lot of providers to choose from.

Review by diablo1892 See Profile

• Location: Rockville,Hanover,VA
Good "Good speeds with the Gen4"
Bad "poor costumer service and connection (due to high latency)"
Overall "Really a big improvement from 7000 to HT1000, could'nt be happier"

·Frontier Communi..
I don't consider broadband nor even recommend anyone getting it...

We WERE to order the very last one, the one that's business packages BUT they never gave us it... They gave us a lamb package and now we have this so called "download allowance meter" ..

The install process? well the guy got the dish installed and had already got his laptop hocked up just to be sure that its operational but after dish installation, he layed there on the roof talking to his wife...

Not sure what the brand nor the equipment he used but i do know the brand of the Hughes net receiver: HN7000S and for the switch its: D-link also with a WI-FI modem...

Well as far as me TRYING to play on far cry 2 Multiplayer I think that tells me enough.. Tons of lag and more than enough weird stuff happening while game play..

This would be my second time reviewing this provider.. What you see above is back when I had the HN7000 edition, I am now using the Gen4 HT1000. Still using the WiFi as provided above (same with switch) .. Got the upgrade in november, we were forced to upgrade cause the speed on the old modem just completely died one day, modem started making weird noises so we traded in for another and brand new one.. Well that did'nt do anything, speeds were still dead, could not download or upload anything and ever since we made the upgrade we'v been getting hammered lately with Gen4 invitations. The max speed that i seen Gen4 do was 1.5mb/s and thats really good but sadly it's not what we're paying for however it will work for us.

We're still paying the same price as we did with HN7000 ($110/month) so can't really complain on that. The allowance is wayyyyyy bigger and a little stressful than the old 500mb, now we're able to download bigger amounts of files, tokens are up to 2x cheeper than the old ones, for a 500mb token on the old you would pay $10 for just one but with the new you can get two 500mb tokens with $10 so they are definitely cheaper.

Most of the bugs have been worked out of the system so far but if your wanting to get it I suggest waiting it out for a couple more months, hughes is trying to get there email provider, allowance and token restoration up and working correctly. But I must say its really a big improvement.

member for 3.2 years, 659 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ivordurham See Profile

• Location: Parlier,Fresno,CA
Good "Gen4 is a speed improvement"
Bad "No current Gen4 plan has a static IP option and you cannot go back to Gen3"
Overall "Caveat emptor!"

A client of mine needed higher bandwidth and upgraded their HughesNet service to the new Gen4 PowerMax plan without checking whether or not their static IP address would survive. It didn't and in taking the order Hughes did not alert them to this. Only dynamic IPs are available with Gen4 now. Hughes says they are "working on it" but don't have a committed schedule for static IP availability. Worse, after you have been upgraded, Hughes has no protocol for restoring the previous Gen3 service. They did offer a modest discount on the service for three months, but that does not restore the functionality that depended on port forwarding which in turn depended on the fixed IP address. So being in a sufficiently isolated location not served by DSL or Cable, my client is in a tough spot. There is one fixed-wireless provider in the area which has service plans that include a static IP address, so that may be an alternative. However, while the price for the equivalent of Gen3 bandwidth is virtually a wash, pricing for Gen4 equivalent bandwidth is significantly higher and currently out of reach for them. Caveat emptor!

P.S. Having asked about static IP addresses with Gen4 on the Hughes community forum I replied to my own post with the information that they have no static IP solution and that you cannot downgrade again, so beware. Hughes removed the post "to keep the discussion focused on solutions". i.e. They censor anything that doesn't reflect well on them and could prevent another customer from getting into difficulties.

Comments:
cordell

join:2013-01-24
Reidsville, NC

question static vs. dynamic with HughesNet

Quick question: If I use an email application on my mac called "Mail" to access (send and retrieve email through) my gmail account, are you saying that if I changed from HN9000 static IP to Gen4 dynamic IP that I would no longer be able to send and retrieve email to and from gmail as I currently do through my mac application? Furthermore, would my ability to upload and download via a ftp application to a remote server where my web site is hosted be affected as well? Sorry to ask what may be elementary questions. Thank you.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Re: question static vs. dynamic with HughesNet

The answer is no. Ask your questions in a forum, not a review.

• Location: Wendell,Franklin,MA
Good "Mild speed improvement from previous hughes net satellite service."
Bad "Did not meet the hype promising true high speed service"
Overall "Best choice where no other available, otherwise get dsl or cable"

Our experience with Hughes net Gen 4 is that it did not meet the hype,
but was a mild improvement over our previous hughes net plan.

We have no options but satellite and dial-up. No cell, no cable, no
dsl. So the promises of radical speed increases by hughes net with
their new gen4 satellite and excede got me excited. Alas, what we got is
not that different from our previous satellite experience. It's clearly
better (as in faster, and I think a little more reliable as well), but
not dramatically. The reason of course is that latency is just a fact
of life with satellites. The service is sold on raw download speed, but
it's simply not speedy to send a request for a page up to the satellite
back down to the internet backbone and then send the page back. It
sounds sexy, but the speed increase is most felt when downloading files,
which is not the time you most notice the slow speed (ie, surfing the
web). VPN still does not work (because of latency).

So, measured against the expectations of satellite internet, I'm
pleased. Under no circumstances would I recommend it to anybody who had
the option of cable or dsl. Cell . . . It's probably close. My small
mifi experience found them agonizingly slow, but probably a bit faster
than satellite, though not by much.

My experience with hughes net customer service is fair to poor. Level 1
is outsourced to India or the Philippines and they tend to know little
and walk through a script. Fine if you need more simple solutions, but
it doesn't take long to reach the end of their capacity. Escalate and
you are in Texas and my two times with them I wasn't impressed and felt
led astray. It's not awful - they've reset my registration and helped
me out in other ways a number of times, and they are polite and try to
help. This experience is from our previous hughes net experience.

We've now had a gen4 system for about 4 months and only needed to call
customer service once.

Gen 4 measures usage monthly instead of daily. I was afraid of that,
but I find we are doing ok staying in our limit. The monthly limit
actually seems to work better for us than a daily cap. We've actually
be able to download from a higher capacity plan to the bottom of the
line Gen 4 plan, so we are saving money while getting better service.
Not bad.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

gnburk

@direcway.com

HughesNet Gen4

Like you, we recently switched to Hughesnet Gen 4 and have experienced a modest increase in transfer speed. Whereas before we averaged a download speed of approx 2 Mbs we now average something around 4Mbs with occasional periods as fast as 9Mbs and as slow as 1.5Mbs. Clearly no where near the advertised 15Mbs ever. In addition, even with the top offered plan "Business 400" we usually exceed the 20GB/month limit and must go through the gymnastics to buy "Tokens" that each good for an extra GB. The HughesNet online service has never allowed us to buy these tokens online, reporting that our provider does not offer them. However, a phone call to the HughesNet Tech support (or Marketing), along with the patience to persist through the first several responders who seem to have either no knowledge or actually wrong information, finally results in a helpful person who easily facilitates the transaction.
If any possible broadband alternative exists to satellite ISP, by all means use that. Otherwise, HughesNet serves at a minimal level.