HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

• Location: Rochester,Strafford,NH
Bad "price, tech support, speed, frequent loss of connection, difficulty ending service"
Overall "beware of this company"
Mail,DNS,News:

HughesNet satellite broadband cost me over $80/month and never worked properly. It was slow and frequently lost connection. The solution from tech services was to connect my laptop to the modem to change the standard channel. This got to be a daily ritual. When I finally had enough and changed providers, I spent almost an hour on the phone trying to discontinue service. After finally being successful, I received a subsequent call offering a $35/month discount; made me wonder why I was paying so much more for over 2 years. The ultimate insult was that a box was sent to me so that I could return their equipment. Unfortunately, it required that I climb on the roof and remove the radio from the satellite disk. They indicated that this might be dangerous and that I might want to hire an uninstaller at a couple of hundred dollars. The letter with the box was threatening in tone. "If you fail to return the equipment to us within the specified time, we will charge your account an Unreturned Equipment Fee of $300." Also, "failure to return the modem and radio transmitter to Hughes, or to pay the applicable Unreturned Equipment Fee, may result in serious consequences to you, as Hughes may elect to report this incident to credit reporting agencies and to pursue any available legal remedies." Friendly company! Another protracted phone conversation with them resulted finally, after special offers of $100 and $50 uninstallation fees, and after my threatening to call the Better Business Bureau and my lawyer, with a divorce with no uninstallation fee. Most people that don't have a dogged determination not to get screwed would have given up and paid to have their equipment uninstalled when that is HughesNet's responsibility. Stay clear of dealing with this company.

(review was emailed from domain peoplepc.com)

Comments:

Review by jmad980 See Profile

• Location: New Cuyama,Santa Barbara,CA
Good "Much faster than dial up in areas with otherwise no connection, Always on Connection, FAP is improving somewhat, 5Hour free zone"
Bad "FAP is hard to deal with, latency, expensive."
Overall "Better than nothing, preferable data plan compared to other Sat providers"
Mail,DNS,News:

If you come to HughesNet from a _real_ broadband connection you'll be disappointed. It's not unlimited, the caps are low, and the latency rules out many online activities including most gaming and makes web surfing sluggish in comparison.

Sat is an improvement compared to dial up, the alternative internet solution in most areas where you'd even consider it.

The FAP can be hard to deal with; you have to change your habits drastically. You have to do your best to make sure nothing automatically updates outside of the free period, and otherwise barely use your connection, at least on the lower tier of service.

Web pages might take a bit to show up, but they usually will eventually.

To be honest it's painful, but it's the best you've got.

OK some positives:

It's an always on service, mostly reliable. The connection doesn't drop out completely too frequently.

As painful as it feels going off of faster internet, it'll display a page much faster than dial up would.

The FAP is somewhat improving, making it easier to deal with.

Other Thoughts:

1Mbps plan, 200MB data Daily. (Get faster speeds while downloading usually)

The new Sat they just launched should change things up a bit, but we'll have to see once it's in operation.

UPDATE: Service has gotten even worse than ussual, and the Gen4 plans are terrible and lots of people have had trouble with them.

Exede12 is pretty decent however the caps are still low considering the speed. but it does have a free zone.

Still stuck on my HN9000 sadly.

Comments:

greg

RIP OFF!

Anyone reading this considering getting hughes net DONT!
It only gives you 250mb to download a month but we only get a certain number kb!
It gets all up in your buisness about gaming and the costumer service
HA!
JUST DONT GET HUGHES NET!

compuguybna

Re: RIP OFF!

WRONG!!!!!!

Its 250mb a DAY!!!

said by greg :

Anyone reading this considering getting hughes net DONT!
It gets all up in your buisness about gaming and the costumer service
HA!
JUST DONT GET HUGHES NET!

Tom NC

@direcway.com

RipOffNet (also called Hughesnet)

Had it 2 years it's painful. System crashes, new modems, three service visits and still can't play a game or load a page completely. I just sent a email refusing to pay my bill until this thing works even 50% of the time. I have had bills as high as $190.00. This Jokenet is just that a joke. Stay with dial-up for $14.95/mo. At least you know what your getting.

Liz888

@mycingular.net

SUCKS!!!

We had hughes net before but dish network said it was so much better now. it still sucks as before . it waste of money and time. can't even liaten to music without it buffering . loads pages so slow. FALSE ADVERTISEMENT !!! I'm so calling before 30 days are up !!!

rippedoff

@sbcglobal.net

Re: SUCKS!!!

OK, so your calling to cancel before the time is up.
I hate to tell you but here is where you'll find out about how bad your about to be screwed.
I called and they sent me all new boxes with very well written and clear instructions how to pack the equipment for return. Along with an RMA!

I carefully packed the equipment in the "very nice boxes" as instructed and called them
Soon it was picked up by the shipper and I waited for my money.
When I got the service you had to buy the equipment up front.
About ninety days later I called them and they didn't have a record of me ever being a customer much less the equipment, RMA or anything. So went through hours of phone calls to many people but finally found where the records and started waiting for my money again. About ninety days later I started all over.
After many different numbers I had finally been referred to the original number again and started through the list again. I actually had a running list of numbers they were looping me through.
This time I stayed in contact a couple of times a week instead of letting it drop for ninety days. In about two months UPS showed up at my back door.
They had the boxes of satellite equipment and dropped it off.
Yep they returned the equipment instead of the $600.00 plus they owe me.
When I contacted them they quite firmly told me they don't refund money that I have to get my money from the local dealer who installed my equipment.
I called him and he actually laughed at that idea. I searched all my paper work and found nothing regarding who refunds the money only that if I sent the equipment back in the time limits of the contract I would get a full refund.
After about a year or longer it became quiet clear there is going to be no refund.
I threw in the towel. After all to put in several thousand dollars of work for $600.00 makes no sense.
I moved the boxes to a store room. No not one of those rip off rentals! I noticed the boxes rattled when picked up and moved so I opened them.
Remember I told you I packed the equipment up nice and neat as instructed? Well it came back to me just loosley thrown in the boxes. After the screwing I decided to check things. I opened all the boxes and wrote down the serial numbers. You're going to guess the serial numbers weren't the same as I had originally aren't you?

Hey you win the qupie doll. Not one single serial number matched my records of what I sent back. The only thing I have from the whole rip off is the nice dish. I use it for free to air satellite now. It has better gain than the little eighteen dishes usually used so I get less rain fade.
I hope you get your money back but don't go spend it until you have cashed the check!
The Federal Trade Commission should get down these jerks throat and rip our their hearts.

Review by Cybercycle See Profile

• Location: united state
Good "Better than nothing"
Bad "Expensive, unreliable equipment and service"
Overall "Would not use this service if there was any other choice"
Mail,DNS,News:

I am on the HughesNet Pro+ package (HN9000) that is very expensive for a relatively slow connection measured against a limited daily allowance as defined by their FAP policy. Tech support is horrible with respect to offshore agents that do not understand or speak English…troubleshooting is not effective as all the tier 1 agents I have encountered read scripts without any understanding of my issues, and this often leads to long hold times or hang-ups without any solutions to the problem. My equipment was installed in 2008 and is now obsolete per Hughenet. So, when I had an equipment failure, they would not offer a repair solution, but instead wanted me to upgrade to their Gen4 system! I found a source for the broken hardware and repaired it myself. I am out of contract and will switch to another provider as soon as one becomes available in my area.

Comments:

Review by nasfan24 See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,Dorchester,MD
Good "Realiable, fast compared to the options available"
Bad "Monthly cost, tech. support (India)"
Overall "Nothing faster or cheaper is available."
Mail,DNS,News:

i placed my order for direcway on a Thurs. evening online. i was called by the installer that same night to schedule the install. the installer arrived right on time, this was Tue. installation took about 3 hours. i have a roof mount. installer grounded my dish, and took time to show me the basics. i was up and running although slow. after taking the time to review post and tips at broadband reports my speed increased greatly. for me dial up is the only option, so satellite is great. i have only been out of service once during hurricane Isabel. i do not do any gaming, mostly surfing websites. all feedback suggest that it is not good for gaming. i have not had a problem going to secure sites either. my credit card, cell phone, ect.i do a lot of IM with aol and no problems. i find direcway to be a great system.

update------
i continue to be pleased with my direcway dw6000. it is very reliable for me. outages are rare. as discussed in the forum i have experienced a signal drop after a direcway update. although i have not experienced any problems with that loss of signal yet. there is still no other option for me except dial up. i would recommend

this system to anyone without any other choice other than dial up. you should expect to have to tweak your system to get the maximum benefit.all the help you need can be found here at broadband reports

update------

I am currently out of contract with Direcway. I continue to be pleased with my system performance. I have had very few outages that are not weather related. I current have these speeds as my average around 896 down and 52 up. Very pleased. I use only 1 tweak and that is TCP Optimizer. I was originally placed on Satmex5, I have been changed to Horizons1 for about 2 -3 months now. . Yes it was due to slow speed for about 1 month. I was able to get Direcway to correct the issue with a sat change. That was a smooth transition. My original installer was the one who came out to change my bird. I do believe that Direcway is oversold. For me I am still satisfied with my DW6000 performance.

update---
I continue to be a happy Direcway customer. I have not had to call for support many times. When I have it was terrible. I had a hard time understanding the person on the other end. Speed is still fair. I have a DW6000 on the consumer account.

Download 30 Day Stats (Overall Average = 734 Kbps :: 90 KB/sec)
Upload 30 Day Stats (Overall Average = 43 Kbps :: 5 KB/sec)

I know not real great. I am happy with it though. I guess I am one of the lucky ones who have not had to deal with Direcway much. Although Wildblue is available to me I am going to stay with Direcway for now. Don't get me wrong if FIOS was to come my way I will jump on it in a heart beat. I have heard that a cable company called Bay Country Communications will be putting wireless internet to my area by the end of July. I will be checking it out to see if it is worth the jump.

Update 08-13-07

I continue to be happy with my DW6000. I have not taken the plunge to the DW7000 modem yet. I just can't justify the benefits at this time. System runs smooth 98% of the time. The remaining 2% is weather related.

Update 09-05-08

Well I am now using the HN7000S and I changed my plan to the Pro plan. I have better downloads and uploads then before. Heck it should be right. I am still happy with my HughesNet system. I did have speed issues recently. I got switched to a new transponder and it made a world of difference.

Update 9-22-09

I continue to be very pleased with my HughesNet system. I continue to get good download speeds and the upload isn't bad. I continue to only have Satellite, wireless or dial-up Internet available to me at my location. The wireless company is not very good at keeping their word, so I will not be going with them. I told them months ago, »www.delmarvawifi.com/ , that I would go with their service. I have not heard back from them since. I have also been in contact with a customer of theirs and they are very disappointed. They are now awaiting the installation of Wildblue.

Anyway. if you only have HughesNet available, I say go for it. You may have to go through some tough times if you get on a bad bird or transponder. However you can get changed if you need to. You will need to document everything.

11-5-12 Update

I have upgraded my system to the HT1000 system. So far I am happy with it. The speeds seem to be better so far. Lets see how things go after it all settles down.

12-22-12 Update

I continue to be happy with my new Gen4 system. There was a time where my speeds dropped pretty bad shortly after the install. I was considering canceling the service. But since I upgraded there was no 30 day grace period to cancel. Here are some recent speed test I did. Of course they have to be done on the HughesNet speed test site so take the numbers with a grain of salt.

Forgot to post my latest speed test.

Date/Time Down(kbps) Up(kbps)
12/19/2012 18:10:28 6365 761
12/19/2012 18:09:45 9173 884
12/19/2012 18:08:53 2580 901
12/19/2012 14:08:51 7750 929

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Inaccurate statement.

You required an SLA or guarantee of speeds for your connection which we were not able to provide over a wireless connection. This had nothing to do with "keeping our word" and you should remove references to that from your review. This is a review for Hughes not Delmarva WiFi.

Review by Y_Soitenly See Profile

• Location: Morrilton,Conway,AR
Good "It beats Dial-Up."
Bad "Having to reboot the Modem often. Tech Support is worthless."
Overall "If any other Broadband was available in my area, I would dump Hughes in a heartbeat."
Mail,DNS,News:

There are no other options in my area for Broadband or I would jump on it.

I've got the basic package at $60.00 a month.

Ordering the equipment was flawless, but the installer didn't ground the dish right. Found this out a couple of years later when I had another installer to come out to realign the dish. He fixed the ground then.

My first equipment was the DW4000 in 2003. Since then I have upgraded Modems 3 times and currently have the HN7000S Modem.

The good experiences is that it beats Dial-Up. The bad is Tech Support is worthless.

Update:

As of 12/8/12 I had Wildblue/Exede installed and dumped Hughesnet.

Hughesnet had gotten almost unusable during the day light hours and it was this way for the last 6 to 8 Months I had it. About the only time I could get anything done on the Internet was late at night when most people were in bed.

After I've had Exede for a while I'll give a review of it, but so far I'm very happy with it.

Comments:

Review by cathyrwilburn

• Location: Oxford,Lafayette,MS

I would advise against Hughes Net! The service was not connected properly to start with. When we swithced to another service we discovered this was part of why the internet didin't work most of the time. Connection Reliability is horrible. Pricing is outrageous. Customer service is the worst!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by Tweakbl See Profile

• Location: Rosedale,Gilmer,WV
Good "The Speed,Faster then Dialup,slower then Copper/Fiber"
Bad "Their service,you got to keep after them to get something done."
Overall "If Dial up is your only option Hughesnet is the best provider."

*****Updated - 12/11/2012*****

Updating my Review. Not to much has changed. Hughes has moved some Support personnel to the U.S.A. which is a good thing. However they still have support over seas. (Understand to that Hughesnet is Global and employ tons of folks from MANY different countries.) Indeed some of the most Brilliant Technicians are Employed by Hughesnet.

Gen4 has been released. Which promises faster speeds. However you will not have Freetime (2am to 7am) like you would on the Older Plans.You may wanna do as much research and educate yourself, before you leap. (like with anything)
Instead Hughesnet is rolling with a 10 Gig during Daylight (Anytime) 10 Gig during Nightime (Bonusbytes) type plan. OR a 10x2=20gig type plan. (Some plans are different on Total Bucket size.15x2 or 20x2 for example)
Gen4 promises to bring faster speeds. And indeed it is faster.

Most of my problems have been addressed with Hughesnet as far as Tokens and a Download meter are concerned,which is a more recent service that they now offer.

Also of issue is Field service installers that do less then what Hughesnet wants them to do in regards to Hooking you up,Improper grounding and such.

Service department has improved a little...maybe the practice of speaking english has helped them.
I was away for about a year and basically forfeited my contract.$250 later for early termination,I am back and hooked up on the 7000's system via the Obama stimulus plan.No 9000 for me,but the 7000's seems to get it all done just as good.

Tokens are now available and are purchasable for those that FAP out (Yeah it stand for Fair Access Policy or F.A.P.) This is Mega handy.
They now have a Download manager available for the limitations of Hughesnet.
They now have a usage meter to for you to avoid the FAP.

Its still NOT DSL over landline,the limitations are still there,(Latency and Usage Limits),but it is a bit more tolerable with the proper tools and knowledge.
You CAN play World Of Warcraft on this connection but the latency is up and down alot.
You will NOT Youtube or watch your Porn (Just to put it out there) with it without problems.Not a media streaming connection by any means until 2am to 7 am for the free period.

You have to be smart and plan your downloads accordingly,as it is a shared connection,more so then a land based type of connection.

If your interested in Hughesnet. You can go over here and talk at the folks in this forum to help get you started. »community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics

Also hit up the forum here for questions and answers. »HughesNet Satellite

Comments:

Raindogg

@comcast.net

HUges Net

Hughes net totally and utterly sucks. Everything from network performance to customer service, both on the phone and online, sucks. They completely miss represented themselves in their sales pitch in terms of bandwidth limitations and installation cost and rebates. Stay away from Hugesnet!

veryupset

@wildblue.net

Re: HUges Net

Totally agree - I had major problems like the person in 2009 - wish I would have done more research. They do misrepresent, don't know what they are doing and get in to your account and take money without you knowing it!! Definitely stay away from them. Still fighting them on getting my money back after 2 months.

kd88

@metrocast.net

Re: HUges Net

i agree! hughesnet also lied to me and is currently trying to charge me $200 dollars for a mistake THEY made. Their customer service is non-existant. The internet never worked wirelessly like it was supposed to, and it was extremely slow despite the fact that our computer was brand new. Hughesnet is the worst company Ive ever dealt with by far! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!
zeddlar

join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..

Re: HUges Net

You have to have a wireless router to use it wireless and it does work fine, I am typing on a wireless connection right now. I thought it should be added that speeds have improved a great deal for most customers and improvements should be inbound for most if not all the rest very soon if not already. There is alot less tech supprt troubles now because HN has started their own help forum where their techs and other users can offer assistance.
HughesNet elite plan/.74 dish w/1watt trans. / 9000 modem / 3 computers on a linksy's wired network

j hughes

terrible hughesnet service

I completely agree with the negative comments about Hughes net satellite service. I have been a customer for the past 3 yrs and my service has never been what it was advertised to be. They claim download and upload speeds that dont even come close to what they charge you for. In fact, I received a letter in the mail about a class-action lawsuit over the very same issue. I am switching to Exceed soon and I will do 4 speed tests from different providers to verify their speed. If it isn't what they claim it is, they will pack up their junk and get if off my property. Hughes net has burned me good and I am no longer a fool to claims on internet speeds. If you need customer service, good luck with that as well. You will need a translator to understand the foreign accent their technicians speak with. I not asking for the full download or upload speeds, but I will not settle for any less than 70% of what Exceed claims to offer. Whatever you do, do not get Hughes Net Satellite service for any reason. You will be much better off with dial up service because that is the speed you will probably get and the price will be far more reasonable.

Review by chuckandtamm See Profile

• Location: Union City,Erie,PA
Good " the install was the only good so far............"
Bad "speeds,tech support online and phone calls..."
Overall "they must just want your money because they dont deliver the goods in any way...."
Mail,DNS,News:

hughesnet gen4 upgrade? i thought i was upgrading my service but boy was i wrong. i purchased the 15/2 plan. the speeds arn't even in the ball park of what they advertise. i understand they don't guarantee anything but this is ridiculas. i've called them 3 times and was on hold over an hour each time. for some reason it would'nt let me pay my bill. on phone for 1 hour 11 minutes and tech could'nt figure it out. finally i got tired and said i had to go and the idiot would'nt shut up so i hung up. i even sent a message to the f.c.c and they wrote a letter and said they don't cover satilite internet. i'm beyond mad. my download speed got to 6.99mbps a couple times and upload .49 was the highest and the speeds are all over the place. you contact hughesnet and they will blame it on your equipment,so i took my computer to my sons house and his dsl works great. is there anyone that can do something about them. what they told me before the upgrade were mostly lies. write know i want and need faster upload speed some of the problems i've had to figure out on my own my monthly charges are 99.99 plus 9.99 lease fee for total of 109.98................

Comments:

Review by greenneck See Profile

• Location: Paoli,Orange,IN
Bad "not getting adequate service for fee"
Mail,DNS,News:

speeds erratic; sometimes very slow.

• Location: Woodland Park,Teller,CO
Bad "on the phone for two hours just to discontinue what has been horrible service all along"
Overall "They are the worst! Don't go with them!! Horrible service all the way aroung!"
Mail,DNS,News:

When installed, charged me 200.00 on what was supposed to be free installation, and I had already paid a local guy on contrac with them to do the work. Never got that resolved. When wanted to add additional capabilities, service man refused to do anything but string lines across the front of the house. Then again, had to pay a local guy to do it, and still got charged by Hughesnet. Then, when my husband died, even though charging it to my credit card for years, they refused to speak with me. I faxed the death certificate, then they put me on as a contact person, leaving my husband as the responsible person. Today, 6 years after my husband's death, they refused to discontinue service stating they did not have the death certificate. After 2 hours on hold, and talking with 4 people, I had to run to UPS to fax the death certificate again... AND, they can only take a fax as they do not have email capabilities for this purpose. Big time high tech organization!! Not to mention, their service is very, very slow and frequently did not work at all!!

Don't waste your money and avoid a tremendous amount of aggrivation!!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)