HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

• Location: Wendell,Franklin,MA
Good "Mild speed improvement from previous hughes net satellite service."
Bad "Did not meet the hype promising true high speed service"
Overall "Best choice where no other available, otherwise get dsl or cable"

Our experience with Hughes net Gen 4 is that it did not meet the hype,
but was a mild improvement over our previous hughes net plan.

We have no options but satellite and dial-up. No cell, no cable, no
dsl. So the promises of radical speed increases by hughes net with
their new gen4 satellite and excede got me excited. Alas, what we got is
not that different from our previous satellite experience. It's clearly
better (as in faster, and I think a little more reliable as well), but
not dramatically. The reason of course is that latency is just a fact
of life with satellites. The service is sold on raw download speed, but
it's simply not speedy to send a request for a page up to the satellite
back down to the internet backbone and then send the page back. It
sounds sexy, but the speed increase is most felt when downloading files,
which is not the time you most notice the slow speed (ie, surfing the
web). VPN still does not work (because of latency).

So, measured against the expectations of satellite internet, I'm
pleased. Under no circumstances would I recommend it to anybody who had
the option of cable or dsl. Cell . . . It's probably close. My small
mifi experience found them agonizingly slow, but probably a bit faster
than satellite, though not by much.

My experience with hughes net customer service is fair to poor. Level 1
is outsourced to India or the Philippines and they tend to know little
and walk through a script. Fine if you need more simple solutions, but
it doesn't take long to reach the end of their capacity. Escalate and
you are in Texas and my two times with them I wasn't impressed and felt
led astray. It's not awful - they've reset my registration and helped
me out in other ways a number of times, and they are polite and try to
help. This experience is from our previous hughes net experience.

We've now had a gen4 system for about 4 months and only needed to call
customer service once.

Gen 4 measures usage monthly instead of daily. I was afraid of that,
but I find we are doing ok staying in our limit. The monthly limit
actually seems to work better for us than a daily cap. We've actually
be able to download from a higher capacity plan to the bottom of the
line Gen 4 plan, so we are saving money while getting better service.
Not bad.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

gnburk

HughesNet Gen4

Like you, we recently switched to Hughesnet Gen 4 and have experienced a modest increase in transfer speed. Whereas before we averaged a download speed of approx 2 Mbs we now average something around 4Mbs with occasional periods as fast as 9Mbs and as slow as 1.5Mbs. Clearly no where near the advertised 15Mbs ever. In addition, even with the top offered plan "Business 400" we usually exceed the 20GB/month limit and must go through the gymnastics to buy "Tokens" that each good for an extra GB. The HughesNet online service has never allowed us to buy these tokens online, reporting that our provider does not offer them. However, a phone call to the HughesNet Tech support (or Marketing), along with the patience to persist through the first several responders who seem to have either no knowledge or actually wrong information, finally results in a helpful person who easily facilitates the transaction.
If any possible broadband alternative exists to satellite ISP, by all means use that. Otherwise, HughesNet serves at a minimal level.

Review by will23 See Profile

• Location: Dutchtown,Cape Girardeau,MO
Good "You have great speeds till you hit your limit."
Bad "The speeds are unbareable when you hit your limit."
Overall "It just isn't worth it for those that stream movies everyday."
Mail,DNS,News:

Well I decided to get it because I was just tired of a slow 1.3Mbps connection being split. So I decided to sign up with hughesnet. I got their basic package and everything was going perfectly for the first two weeks. Only issue was that the service went down a few times and in the rain it was in degraded condition. After the 2 weeks all of a sudden the limit went down rapidly and got to zero in a day or 2. Thing is that for the 2 weeks I had it the download meter kept resetting each night to 100%. Then all of a sudden it was being drained as if you poked several holes in a water bottle with a nail. If it would have kept resetting daily I would have been fine with it. But with this .2Mbps connection it just isn't worth it especially since it is split to 2 computers. Thing was when I signed up the sales told me it would be at least 1Mbps if the limit was met. Then later when it was met they said it should be .5Mbps. I have just been getting told false information left and right ever since I have signed up. Also they told me I would get 1GB reset tokens each month and it was really only 500MBs. They said they would give me another 500MB reset token because of being told falsely but I haven't seen it yet. I would rather have a service that stays steady through the month instead of getting really fast and going down to unusable after 2 weeks. I hope this helps someone that is looking to sign up. As in the end they really aren't worth it unless you have it on one computer and don't really look at 1-2 videos each day.

Comments:
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

All i can say

You should have read feedback here before signing up with those crooks.If you try to cancel they are going to take hundreds of $ from your CC and not likely you will get it back.Their way of saying thanks for giving us your CC #

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

Cancel the card before they bill it.

CANCEL THAT CREDIT CARD NOW! LOL

Review by TexasMusic See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Lee,TX
Good "Nothing. Absolutely nothing."
Bad "Equipment, network, tech support, pricing, reliability. Other than that....."
Mail,DNS,News:

I'm not a person who writes public reviews, but HughesNet has been so consistently awful that they've earned this one.

We've had them since 2005 at our home in rural Texas when they were the only option available for service. The network has, in our experience, *always* been slow, fragile and poorly serviced. When the network was actually functioning, no matter how carefully we monitored our usage, no matter how literally impossible it was to have exceeded our bandwidth, we would constantly trip the brake on our account, requiring another pointless call to India to service people who didn't care and could do nothing to address the problems. By way of qualification here, we don't do any online gaming, watch online video only rarely and never got in the habit of downloading much music because we've never had good enough Internet service to do so but still managed to somehow be put in a position where we were hustled to buy tokens to get back the service we were never receiving in the first place.

Customer service calls usually involve long waits to talk to a marginal English speaker who is obviously reading from a list of prepared responses and it usually took multiple calls like this to get bumped up to someone who actually had the knowledge and authority to address our issues. The one service visit from one of their contractors was mostly about pressuring us to upgrade to the newer service at a significant price hike. The very strong overall impression was "We don't have any competitors in your area and don't have to do any better than this."

The SAT service that has replaced HughesNet has been everything HughesNet isn't. Customer service is based in America, the installation tech was here within 48 hours of the initial call to sales and the speed of the network is beyond anything we have ever received from HughesNet in the last 8 years. I also don't have to reboot their receiver unit several times a day unlike the receiver unit we got from HughesNet.

I would gladly, happily join in on *any* class action lawsuit against HughesNet now or at any time in the future for breach of contract because, well, because they've earned that kind of contempt. If you're contemplating HughesNet for Internet service, do yourself a big favor and look into mobile hotspots or one of the newer services like Exede instead of putting yourself in a position to be as disgusted and angry with HughesNet as I am within a year of starting service with them.

Comments:

Matt

@verizon.net

Unreliability and no customer service

My wife ordered Hughesnet yesterday and after speaking with a friend, He told me the service was shit. It lagged and he quit them. Well, when the installers contacted me, I told them to put off our appt. because I'm cancelling my order. I've tried multiple calls and their wait time is "approximately less than 8 minutes." No answer for either of the 3 calls. So, I tried to start a chat with one of their representatives. No response there. I sent them an email just now and am wondering how much assistance I'm going to get with cancelling an order.

Customer1

@direcway.com

Re: Unreliability and no customer service

No worries! The installer is the one who submits the final completed order and from there on you will be billed. Since you cancelled the install, you should not be billed.

zeep

@myvzw.com

Re: Unreliability and no customer service--HughesNet Gen4

I agree! Gen4 was installed about 3 months ago and worked OK up till one week ago. We have been down nearly all the time since and cannot get a truthful answer from them about resolution. I was told that we would get credited for the down time. We will see.

Alaskanr

@gci.net

Hughsnet

We had Hughsnet for the last 4 years because that's the only thing that was available. The speed has never been fast. Customer service is poor. You get about 475mb, give or take, of download a day, which is their highest plan. Then when you've exceeded your limit, you can buy tokens. This is a huge pain. We spend way too much time (a couple hours each time) on the phone with customer service trying to figure out why it's so slow when we have 100% allowance for the day. The poor guy in India has no clue. Being in rural Alaska our phone service sometimes will disconnect without warning. Their customer service would not take a call back number, making it so we would have to call back and wait for someone else and explain our problem a second time. Now that we have another internet service provider in the area, we are canceling our service with Hughsnet......Not as easy as it sounds. Hughsnet requires us to fax a letter and than call back in three days to verbally cancel. WHAT!? I asked them if we could scan email, because we no longer have a fax. They said no. I said ok, give me your address to send it to. They said they don't have an address. What!? They don't do what they advertise and they make it difficult to cancel. Stay away from Hughsnet!!!!!

Review by Chadwi See Profile

• Location: Mount Pleasant,Titus,TX
Good "Increased speed from old system, install was timely, tools to help get the most out of your alloted amount of data"
Bad "Ping rate, expence"
Overall "If you are in a rural area with limited options, Gen4 by Hughesnet is solid choice."
Mail,DNS,News:

I have been a Hughes net customer since May of 2010. I started with the older satellite system with max download speed of 1.5mbps .5mbps. Dur ring off peak hours I would get .75 to 1mbps on a good day. Durring peak hours I was lucky to exceed dial up speeds. I had not planned to renew my contract once my two years was fulfilled. I was holding out for the off chance that 4g LTE would be available in my rural part of East Texas. I kept checking with Verizon on when they were planning to flip the switch. They finally did in Dec. 2012. I bought a 4g mifi device and headed home to find out.... the 4g signal dropped of 1 block from my house. The 3g signal was a weak 2 bars and achieved 150kbps. I decided I would go ahead and check out Gen4 with Hughes net since Verizon let me out of my contract since no service (thanks Verizon that was classy!).

New satellite was installed on the day promised, system was up and running in no time. The first day I saw only small increase in overall speed 2.5mbps, and tech that installed said this would be the case until satellite updated and all packets were downloaded?? I have no had Gen4 for 36 days and it is running very well. I average 9.5mbps on off peak times and 4-6mbps durring peak hours. The ping rate is still slow compared to standard cable, DSL, cellular or fiber optic systems, but it is a much better browsing experience than what I had. I streamed my first movie ever and had no buffering once the download began. I am happy with my choice to re up with Hughesnet until something better is available!

Comments:

Review by shawnbb See Profile

• Location: Bartlesville,Washington,OK
Good "it is something"
Bad "everything else"
Overall "no other choice... only then"
Mail,DNS,News:

I had this service. It was ALOT of work to even get working, it was over priced, I had to pay extra for installation. ANY weather at all = no service. Ping; 1.5k, Downloads bursty= not good AT ALL for any Online gaming.

FOREIGN CUSTOMER SERVICE/ TECH SUPPORT? YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! No.. Im not kidding.

Only way I got out of this contract was adding it to my bankruptcy claim; the satellite still decorates my rooftop. A reminder that hughesnet=FAIL.

Never tried gen4, but them needing a commercial to talk them up tells me something= if they need a commercial to talk them up, they are worthless.

Comments:

kingtucky

Worthless!

What a joke this service is. I can't wait till the day my contract ends, at which point I will rip the freakin satellite off my house and set it on fire with a Youtube recording for the viewing pleasure of the Hughes Net people. Downloads are slow, and you have "unlimited downloads" only from 11pm-4am. If you watch two 5 minute videos at any other time, and you essentially get punished for using too much download space. If you get "frapped", you have to buy tokens to restore your download, or wait 24 hours for it to restore. If you are super conservative and never actually enjoy your internet, you get a "free" token a month to use in case of getting frapped. If you happen to mysteriously get frapped one morning, you have to call an outsourced hotline at which point you will speak with someone thats somewhere in South Asia. They will inevitably tell you that you exceeded your download allowance, despite the fact you specifically made sure to use high traffic applications like Youtube during the 11pm-4am time period. When you ask for a specific date and time at which your system overloaded, you will be promptly hassled and not given an answer to your question besides "sometime between 10-11pm". You will haggle with the service agent until they get in trouble for taking 5 minutes on an individual call and you will finally get your download back. And you pay $80 minimum for this overwhelming joy of an internet service! If you can, buy a cable bundle and forget you even thought about Hughes Net at all.

Review by nodachi See Profile

• Location: Penhold,AB
Good "at least it is not Explornet."
Bad "DNS never works"
Overall "IT SUCKS!!"
Mail,DNS,News:

Tried Explornet first it was just as bad. (Ripped me off for $578 wile saying they were unable to serve.) Then I ordered 150 connection from Hughes net 28 months ago. they took 2 months to find a techy in my area and he had no clue as it was his first install. Got a HN9000. Techy informed me the best they were going to give me was a 128 connection for $65/month. It was ok at first. Consistently got my 128 I had been promised for about 6 months. (I am always careful not to go over my limit.) Then slowly slower and slower it got. Accelerator Error Page more and more often. Now DNS fails ever second link you click. Support call after support call (even a new HN9000) till now it is just painful to even read this forum. Since the Gen4 thing I can not even get tech support as all they do is nag me to take a new 2 year contract.

Comments:

Review by sreilly24590 See Profile

• Location: Scottsville,Albemarle,VA
Good "Sometimes better than dialup"
Bad "Poor tech support, high cost, lousy speeds regardless of modem or plan"
Overall "Try anything else if available"
Mail,DNS,News:

I've been using Direcway now Hughes for almost 6 years and have upgraded modems over that time. Service was good at first but speeds have slowed to almost dialup for the past 6 months. Upgraded to the HNS7000 modem as well as plan and was told to expect better performance. The net result has been higher cost and slower speeds. Tech support is over seas and seems mostly scripted. Problems are the same with each call and redundant answers not resulting in any improvement. Due to contract terms, you can get locked into a nightmare without any recourse. If you really need high speed and can't get anything else, beware. It may run fine for some time but the overall experience I've had is terrible. I guess the catch phrase is "speeds up to" which can be 1 kbps to, in my case 1.5 mbps, which I have never seen. Best performace was when I had the old two way modems but that was long ago. I'm sorry to say that this is a poor service and I can't wait till Broadband over Powerlines comes to my neck of the woods.

After 10 years of waiting we finally got DSL from Centurylink, was Sprint, and at a fraction of the cost. Faster speeds greater bandwidth, varying results. Seems we need to reboot the modem from time to time to get our speeds back. Cost wise I'm saving money for a change. Anytime you can save 50-60$ a month and get better service it's a plus. A big thanks to Centurylink for working hard to serve this small switch and getting us the DSL we've been waiting for for so long.

Comments:

scottymead

Speed

I must be the only one with really good speed, for example.. Yesterday evening I downloaded Windows 8 from Microsoft.com and its a 2gb download and it only took 25 minutes.

Sorry to hear that you and others dont have same quality of service.
mbslk32

join:2013-02-13
San Andreas, CA

Re: Speed

you must be living in the city

Elvira

@sbcglobal.net

down line

Since the small rural areas use the same lines you might want to ask Alamede where the line is down. They told the customers they will not fix the downed line. So beware there are downed lines that are not being fixed because they do not have repairmen to fix them. I hope that helps you out

Review by Hughessuck01 See Profile

• Location: Garden Valley,El Dorado,CA
Bad "GARBAGE DONT GET IT GEN 4 CAUTION SCAM"
Mail,DNS,News:

This company is the worst get dial up its way faster than Gen 4. Sales people lied about everything. This Gen 4 hughs stuff is the worst so slow wont do anything the said. If your in your 30 days cancel asap what a joke. Liers all of them service is the worst!

Comments:

Review by Piggie See Profile

• Location: Fort Mc Coy,Marion,FL
Good "Few any more"
Bad "FAP lasts 24 hours if you exceed your bucket"
Overall "This is currently the last resort of even the satellite companies. For some with their new policy, dial up still works as good."

·Windstream
I just left Hughes.net today, Nov 30, 2006 for Windstream DSL.
I would suggest to anyone satellite that only has an option of slow dialup, in the 28.8 range. Anyone on fast dialup I am not sure what to tell you to do.

The three things I will not miss about Hughes.net.
1) FAP and Latency
2) Customer Service, equalled only by HP as the worst it can be then some, awful.
3) The price. I went from $70/month for Pro to $30/month for 3mbps DSL on Windstream.

Update May 2007 after the new FAP policy.

If I were you on a modem that could hit 43K or so, stay with that.
Their FAP policy is now totally user abusive. 24 hours of no internet if you exceed your allotment. Way way too big a penalty to be put on a user.
Their customer service continues to get worse, reading the forum since I left Hughes.

Now with the new FAP, the $60 account is about worthless. You need to consider a bigger account and if you can afford it, get the 1.2M dish and a business account.

Hughes is now so bad, it should be considered the worst ISP in the United States.

This is not only because of the new FAP, but when they changed it, they didn't inform one single user to be careful because after a 1/3 of your allotment you will be penalized with lower refill rates, nor did they tell people they were going to get 24 hours without internet until it happened to them.

Horrible way to run your customer service , just terrible.

Last thought. Had I still been on Hughes, when this new FAP started, I would have gone back to a second phone line and dialup, I kid you not.

Comments:

Sidney

@windstream.net

Hughes net in 2013

It looks like most of these comments are from 2007-08. We also previously had Hughes net at about that time and they were horrible! We now have Windstream -- the worst of the worst ever. We are getting kilobyte downloads and uploads. We've been knocked off the net 100 times in 2 weeks. We've filed a complaint with the FCC and the state PRC and discovered they have no power over ISPs for consumers -- there are NO regs for ISPs for consumers. Have been working with our Senator here in NM for over a year and making slow headway. The last communication from Windstream even suggested we look into satellite --the one with which they are connected -- Dish network.
Please let me know what Hughes is like now in January 2013. Thanks a bunch!

Piggie
I Actually use Windstream
join:2005-11-23
Orange Springs, FL

Re: Hughes net in 2013

No idea, I left them in 2006. Windstream here isn't totally as bad as many places. I get .8 to 1.5 M at night on a 3m service. Still that is better than being on satellite.

dixieland

@direcway.com
i have considered upgrading to Gen. 4 , at the moment we have the cheap hughesnet package. if we try to watch 3 u tube videos in an afternoon we loose half our download speed. not sure what to do .

Jasmin Mendo

@direcway.com
I just had the satellite set up today and only 10 mins after. i couldn't get online, the basic service is only up to 989 kbps..so slow i cant even post this comment without any interruptions. the basic plan is 39.99 plus 9 rental fee..i think this company is a ripped off and have a worse customer service. every time i call, i'm on hold for 20-30 mins!!

rockyhorses3

@direcway.com
Just a reply about Hughes net. It's Jan. 2013 and Hughes hasn't improved at all from what I'm reading. I don't know technical talk, just that I keep getting messages on my computer about lost satellite signals, and no internet connection, even tho it says I do. Calling customer support is nothing but a bunch of apologies and suggestions to turn off the modem and restart, which I've done several times. I can't wait until my contract is up!!

Chi sha

@knology.net

worst service ever experienced

July 2012 when I got the service they said you can try for free if you don't like it you will get the full refund . Dial up is better than this, I called after two weeks,cancelled the service , ask for refund ,they told me to wait two weeks , I mailed all their equipment but never received the money back lost $400.00.

Kitykat70

@getty.edu

Run as fast as you can

This is horrible servivce.. Not only was I told "guarentted that I would get a min of 5MPS and 1mps upload. My bank was debited $160 without my persmission. I authoriezed a one time fee of $40 at time of set up but never authorized my acct to be auto deducted for any other charges monthly or otherwise. I even verified with sales person that this was a one time deduction and that I would be billed later.. A week into the service I decided to cancel I was informed by the manager VIctor that he was not going to give me a refund even thought they fraudulently took money from my acct he was refusing to give me a full refund. Now I am out $190 for Shitty service that I had for literaly 7 days and am getting ready to head to there legal dept.
DO NOT USE THEM THEY WILL SCREW YOU OUT OF MONEY AND OFFER YOU BAD SERVICE
and they have the nerve to ask you if you want an upgrade ..

Review by scottymead See Profile

• Location: Post Falls,Kootenai,ID
Good "EVERYTHING"
Bad "NOTHING"
Overall "LOVE IT"
Mail,DNS,News:
(ratings well above consensus)

Little as people know, Dish Network bought Hughes Net, launched a new satellite and its better then its ever been, I love dishNET/Hughes Net!! Way better then Time Warner or Frontier.... $39.99/month

member for 7 years, 2328 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
silbaco
join:2009-08-03
USA

Uh....

This is a joke... right? Firstly, you are paying $49.99 per month. There is an equipment rental. Secondly.. you have a tiny usage cap with high latency, making gaming, Netflix, and downloading large files impossible. 5GB a month, 5GB night usage. You could download more than that on Time Warner in a few hours.

Re: Uh....

nope, paying $39.99 because I have Dish Network TV service. I don't seem to have any cap on my account.
Current Usage
Anytime: Usage Is Unlimited
Off-Peak (2am - 8am): Usage Is Unlimited At This Time

I live in a rural area, Time Warner (Roadrunner) is available , ive had it... However every hour or so it would disconnect, modem would reboot. I however don't play games, watch netflix or download large files, the most I do is watch YouTube and its fast to me.

Im happy with the speed according to the speed test...

Download: 15.35 Mbps
Upload: 2.56 Mbps

Re: Uh....

Yea... You know the whole anytime unlimited is only for, at most, a month, right? Also, bonus bytes will be active soon, so say bye bye downloading. You are one of the very lucky few that see 15Mbps, I am supposed to be around 10Mbps and rarely see above 2Mbps down... Kinda makes me wanna go back to the 9000 unit sometimes.
silbaco
join:2009-08-03
USA
You didn't read your fine print then. $39.99 + $10 equipment rental.

"All plans require 24-month Agreement and $10/mo. equipment lease fee."

BTW, the Unlimited it going to be gone very soon. Then you will have 5GB Anytime, 5GB Bonus. That's going to suck.

Re: Uh....

well according to my bill im being credited the 10 dollar equipment rental. dishNET Bundle -10.00 (Modem/TRIA Lease) Unlimited or not, I dont even use 5GB a month anyways, well not with a 20 month old and a 2 month old. My time spent online is between the hours of 2 and 5 so 5GB is plenty
mbslk32

join:2013-02-13
San Andreas, CA
you must be paid big by Dish Network and Hughes.net? your statement that you wrote here is a BIG freaking LIE!
waytim

join:2011-12-01
Sterling, MI

Really?

Ok, how much did they pay you?? "Better than nothing" is the only positive thing that can be said about this service.

Re: Really?

$39.99

Re: Really?

Opps sorry, they didnt pay me anything except a good friend of mine who installs Dish Network here in North Idaho installed my service and im pleased with it.
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

What drugs are you on?

I'd go with dial-up before i would deal with those Hughes scam artists.One of them days you will find out too.How can you even attempt to say they are better than Time Warner or Frontier with LOW caps/slow speeds/High price for what you get.Think again

Re: What drugs are you on?

Dish Network bought out Hughes Net. I pay less then I did with Time Warner and Frontier..

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV

Re: What drugs are you on?

Pole mount in a Cemented bucket?
One Bump and the entire thing will be out.
Also FCC regs require 5 foot clearance.
Not busting your Chops at all but I have had my share of go arounds with folks over subpar installs. Bad Grounds corners being cut. Drunk installers.
The Pole is one that does happen to.
If Dish is allowing that, and Hughesnet is signing off on it.
The Forums will see a upsurge in folks needing assistance.
Glad you like it, although if it was me, I would exhaust all my sources on the land based lines. Everything from new Modems to rewiring the Grey box for the phone lines. Bad wire (in the home) is usually the trouble, if your neighbors have good service.

The reason folks will think your a "plant' here is the 100% rating.
Which if your not, and you really do not appear to be I would say you are fairly new to Hughes and just had it installed. And have never had to call in yet. Or ran into any issue that gets others all worked up.

$39.00 for the 15 Megs service.....I am paying $74.00 for my service. That is just wrong of Hughesnet on so many levels.

Re: What drugs are you on?

Just remember, we have 2-3 times more allowance than he does, sure he has top speeds, but, well, his allowance will get him in the end.

@direcway.com
Dish didn't buy HN, it was Echostar that did, two entirely different companies... Other than the name Echostar on the equipment, and CEO, they have nothing else between them. Echostar is more of a provider to dish than anything, dish has no say-so over Hughes nor Echostar, nor does Echostar have any say over Dish in the end, but Echostar does have say over Hughes.