HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by diablo1892 See Profile

• Location: Rockville,Hanover,VA
Good "Good speeds with the Gen4"
Bad "poor costumer service and connection (due to high latency)"
Overall "Really a big improvement from 7000 to HT1000, could'nt be happier"

·Frontier Communi..
I don't consider broadband nor even recommend anyone getting it...

We WERE to order the very last one, the one that's business packages BUT they never gave us it... They gave us a lamb package and now we have this so called "download allowance meter" ..

The install process? well the guy got the dish installed and had already got his laptop hocked up just to be sure that its operational but after dish installation, he layed there on the roof talking to his wife...

Not sure what the brand nor the equipment he used but i do know the brand of the Hughes net receiver: HN7000S and for the switch its: D-link also with a WI-FI modem...

Well as far as me TRYING to play on far cry 2 Multiplayer I think that tells me enough.. Tons of lag and more than enough weird stuff happening while game play..

This would be my second time reviewing this provider.. What you see above is back when I had the HN7000 edition, I am now using the Gen4 HT1000. Still using the WiFi as provided above (same with switch) .. Got the upgrade in november, we were forced to upgrade cause the speed on the old modem just completely died one day, modem started making weird noises so we traded in for another and brand new one.. Well that did'nt do anything, speeds were still dead, could not download or upload anything and ever since we made the upgrade we'v been getting hammered lately with Gen4 invitations. The max speed that i seen Gen4 do was 1.5mb/s and thats really good but sadly it's not what we're paying for however it will work for us.

We're still paying the same price as we did with HN7000 ($110/month) so can't really complain on that. The allowance is wayyyyyy bigger and a little stressful than the old 500mb, now we're able to download bigger amounts of files, tokens are up to 2x cheeper than the old ones, for a 500mb token on the old you would pay $10 for just one but with the new you can get two 500mb tokens with $10 so they are definitely cheaper.

Most of the bugs have been worked out of the system so far but if your wanting to get it I suggest waiting it out for a couple more months, hughes is trying to get there email provider, allowance and token restoration up and working correctly. But I must say its really a big improvement.

Comments:

Review by ivordurham See Profile

• Location: Parlier,Fresno,CA
Good "Gen4 is a speed improvement"
Bad "No current Gen4 plan has a static IP option and you cannot go back to Gen3"
Overall "Caveat emptor!"

A client of mine needed higher bandwidth and upgraded their HughesNet service to the new Gen4 PowerMax plan without checking whether or not their static IP address would survive. It didn't and in taking the order Hughes did not alert them to this. Only dynamic IPs are available with Gen4 now. Hughes says they are "working on it" but don't have a committed schedule for static IP availability. Worse, after you have been upgraded, Hughes has no protocol for restoring the previous Gen3 service. They did offer a modest discount on the service for three months, but that does not restore the functionality that depended on port forwarding which in turn depended on the fixed IP address. So being in a sufficiently isolated location not served by DSL or Cable, my client is in a tough spot. There is one fixed-wireless provider in the area which has service plans that include a static IP address, so that may be an alternative. However, while the price for the equivalent of Gen3 bandwidth is virtually a wash, pricing for Gen4 equivalent bandwidth is significantly higher and currently out of reach for them. Caveat emptor!

P.S. Having asked about static IP addresses with Gen4 on the Hughes community forum I replied to my own post with the information that they have no static IP solution and that you cannot downgrade again, so beware. Hughes removed the post "to keep the discussion focused on solutions". i.e. They censor anything that doesn't reflect well on them and could prevent another customer from getting into difficulties.

Comments:
cordell

join:2013-01-24
Reidsville, NC

question static vs. dynamic with HughesNet

Quick question: If I use an email application on my mac called "Mail" to access (send and retrieve email through) my gmail account, are you saying that if I changed from HN9000 static IP to Gen4 dynamic IP that I would no longer be able to send and retrieve email to and from gmail as I currently do through my mac application? Furthermore, would my ability to upload and download via a ftp application to a remote server where my web site is hosted be affected as well? Sorry to ask what may be elementary questions. Thank you.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Re: question static vs. dynamic with HughesNet

The answer is no. Ask your questions in a forum, not a review.

• Location: Wendell,Franklin,MA
Good "Mild speed improvement from previous hughes net satellite service."
Bad "Did not meet the hype promising true high speed service"
Overall "Best choice where no other available, otherwise get dsl or cable"

Our experience with Hughes net Gen 4 is that it did not meet the hype,
but was a mild improvement over our previous hughes net plan.

We have no options but satellite and dial-up. No cell, no cable, no
dsl. So the promises of radical speed increases by hughes net with
their new gen4 satellite and excede got me excited. Alas, what we got is
not that different from our previous satellite experience. It's clearly
better (as in faster, and I think a little more reliable as well), but
not dramatically. The reason of course is that latency is just a fact
of life with satellites. The service is sold on raw download speed, but
it's simply not speedy to send a request for a page up to the satellite
back down to the internet backbone and then send the page back. It
sounds sexy, but the speed increase is most felt when downloading files,
which is not the time you most notice the slow speed (ie, surfing the
web). VPN still does not work (because of latency).

So, measured against the expectations of satellite internet, I'm
pleased. Under no circumstances would I recommend it to anybody who had
the option of cable or dsl. Cell . . . It's probably close. My small
mifi experience found them agonizingly slow, but probably a bit faster
than satellite, though not by much.

My experience with hughes net customer service is fair to poor. Level 1
is outsourced to India or the Philippines and they tend to know little
and walk through a script. Fine if you need more simple solutions, but
it doesn't take long to reach the end of their capacity. Escalate and
you are in Texas and my two times with them I wasn't impressed and felt
led astray. It's not awful - they've reset my registration and helped
me out in other ways a number of times, and they are polite and try to
help. This experience is from our previous hughes net experience.

We've now had a gen4 system for about 4 months and only needed to call
customer service once.

Gen 4 measures usage monthly instead of daily. I was afraid of that,
but I find we are doing ok staying in our limit. The monthly limit
actually seems to work better for us than a daily cap. We've actually
be able to download from a higher capacity plan to the bottom of the
line Gen 4 plan, so we are saving money while getting better service.
Not bad.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

gnburk

HughesNet Gen4

Like you, we recently switched to Hughesnet Gen 4 and have experienced a modest increase in transfer speed. Whereas before we averaged a download speed of approx 2 Mbs we now average something around 4Mbs with occasional periods as fast as 9Mbs and as slow as 1.5Mbs. Clearly no where near the advertised 15Mbs ever. In addition, even with the top offered plan "Business 400" we usually exceed the 20GB/month limit and must go through the gymnastics to buy "Tokens" that each good for an extra GB. The HughesNet online service has never allowed us to buy these tokens online, reporting that our provider does not offer them. However, a phone call to the HughesNet Tech support (or Marketing), along with the patience to persist through the first several responders who seem to have either no knowledge or actually wrong information, finally results in a helpful person who easily facilitates the transaction.
If any possible broadband alternative exists to satellite ISP, by all means use that. Otherwise, HughesNet serves at a minimal level.

Review by will23 See Profile

• Location: Dutchtown,Cape Girardeau,MO
Good "You have great speeds till you hit your limit."
Bad "The speeds are unbareable when you hit your limit."
Overall "It just isn't worth it for those that stream movies everyday."
Mail,DNS,News:

Well I decided to get it because I was just tired of a slow 1.3Mbps connection being split. So I decided to sign up with hughesnet. I got their basic package and everything was going perfectly for the first two weeks. Only issue was that the service went down a few times and in the rain it was in degraded condition. After the 2 weeks all of a sudden the limit went down rapidly and got to zero in a day or 2. Thing is that for the 2 weeks I had it the download meter kept resetting each night to 100%. Then all of a sudden it was being drained as if you poked several holes in a water bottle with a nail. If it would have kept resetting daily I would have been fine with it. But with this .2Mbps connection it just isn't worth it especially since it is split to 2 computers. Thing was when I signed up the sales told me it would be at least 1Mbps if the limit was met. Then later when it was met they said it should be .5Mbps. I have just been getting told false information left and right ever since I have signed up. Also they told me I would get 1GB reset tokens each month and it was really only 500MBs. They said they would give me another 500MB reset token because of being told falsely but I haven't seen it yet. I would rather have a service that stays steady through the month instead of getting really fast and going down to unusable after 2 weeks. I hope this helps someone that is looking to sign up. As in the end they really aren't worth it unless you have it on one computer and don't really look at 1-2 videos each day.

Comments:
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

All i can say

You should have read feedback here before signing up with those crooks.If you try to cancel they are going to take hundreds of $ from your CC and not likely you will get it back.Their way of saying thanks for giving us your CC #

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

Cancel the card before they bill it.

CANCEL THAT CREDIT CARD NOW! LOL

Review by TexasMusic See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Lee,TX
Good "Nothing. Absolutely nothing."
Bad "Equipment, network, tech support, pricing, reliability. Other than that....."
Mail,DNS,News:

I'm not a person who writes public reviews, but HughesNet has been so consistently awful that they've earned this one.

We've had them since 2005 at our home in rural Texas when they were the only option available for service. The network has, in our experience, *always* been slow, fragile and poorly serviced. When the network was actually functioning, no matter how carefully we monitored our usage, no matter how literally impossible it was to have exceeded our bandwidth, we would constantly trip the brake on our account, requiring another pointless call to India to service people who didn't care and could do nothing to address the problems. By way of qualification here, we don't do any online gaming, watch online video only rarely and never got in the habit of downloading much music because we've never had good enough Internet service to do so but still managed to somehow be put in a position where we were hustled to buy tokens to get back the service we were never receiving in the first place.

Customer service calls usually involve long waits to talk to a marginal English speaker who is obviously reading from a list of prepared responses and it usually took multiple calls like this to get bumped up to someone who actually had the knowledge and authority to address our issues. The one service visit from one of their contractors was mostly about pressuring us to upgrade to the newer service at a significant price hike. The very strong overall impression was "We don't have any competitors in your area and don't have to do any better than this."

The SAT service that has replaced HughesNet has been everything HughesNet isn't. Customer service is based in America, the installation tech was here within 48 hours of the initial call to sales and the speed of the network is beyond anything we have ever received from HughesNet in the last 8 years. I also don't have to reboot their receiver unit several times a day unlike the receiver unit we got from HughesNet.

I would gladly, happily join in on *any* class action lawsuit against HughesNet now or at any time in the future for breach of contract because, well, because they've earned that kind of contempt. If you're contemplating HughesNet for Internet service, do yourself a big favor and look into mobile hotspots or one of the newer services like Exede instead of putting yourself in a position to be as disgusted and angry with HughesNet as I am within a year of starting service with them.

Comments:

Matt

@verizon.net

Unreliability and no customer service

My wife ordered Hughesnet yesterday and after speaking with a friend, He told me the service was shit. It lagged and he quit them. Well, when the installers contacted me, I told them to put off our appt. because I'm cancelling my order. I've tried multiple calls and their wait time is "approximately less than 8 minutes." No answer for either of the 3 calls. So, I tried to start a chat with one of their representatives. No response there. I sent them an email just now and am wondering how much assistance I'm going to get with cancelling an order.

Customer1

@direcway.com

Re: Unreliability and no customer service

No worries! The installer is the one who submits the final completed order and from there on you will be billed. Since you cancelled the install, you should not be billed.

zeep

@myvzw.com

Re: Unreliability and no customer service--HughesNet Gen4

I agree! Gen4 was installed about 3 months ago and worked OK up till one week ago. We have been down nearly all the time since and cannot get a truthful answer from them about resolution. I was told that we would get credited for the down time. We will see.

Alaskanr

@gci.net

Hughsnet

We had Hughsnet for the last 4 years because that's the only thing that was available. The speed has never been fast. Customer service is poor. You get about 475mb, give or take, of download a day, which is their highest plan. Then when you've exceeded your limit, you can buy tokens. This is a huge pain. We spend way too much time (a couple hours each time) on the phone with customer service trying to figure out why it's so slow when we have 100% allowance for the day. The poor guy in India has no clue. Being in rural Alaska our phone service sometimes will disconnect without warning. Their customer service would not take a call back number, making it so we would have to call back and wait for someone else and explain our problem a second time. Now that we have another internet service provider in the area, we are canceling our service with Hughsnet......Not as easy as it sounds. Hughsnet requires us to fax a letter and than call back in three days to verbally cancel. WHAT!? I asked them if we could scan email, because we no longer have a fax. They said no. I said ok, give me your address to send it to. They said they don't have an address. What!? They don't do what they advertise and they make it difficult to cancel. Stay away from Hughsnet!!!!!

Review by Chadwi See Profile

• Location: Mount Pleasant,Titus,TX
Good "Increased speed from old system, install was timely, tools to help get the most out of your alloted amount of data"
Bad "Ping rate, expence"
Overall "If you are in a rural area with limited options, Gen4 by Hughesnet is solid choice."
Mail,DNS,News:

I have been a Hughes net customer since May of 2010. I started with the older satellite system with max download speed of 1.5mbps .5mbps. Dur ring off peak hours I would get .75 to 1mbps on a good day. Durring peak hours I was lucky to exceed dial up speeds. I had not planned to renew my contract once my two years was fulfilled. I was holding out for the off chance that 4g LTE would be available in my rural part of East Texas. I kept checking with Verizon on when they were planning to flip the switch. They finally did in Dec. 2012. I bought a 4g mifi device and headed home to find out.... the 4g signal dropped of 1 block from my house. The 3g signal was a weak 2 bars and achieved 150kbps. I decided I would go ahead and check out Gen4 with Hughes net since Verizon let me out of my contract since no service (thanks Verizon that was classy!).

New satellite was installed on the day promised, system was up and running in no time. The first day I saw only small increase in overall speed 2.5mbps, and tech that installed said this would be the case until satellite updated and all packets were downloaded?? I have no had Gen4 for 36 days and it is running very well. I average 9.5mbps on off peak times and 4-6mbps durring peak hours. The ping rate is still slow compared to standard cable, DSL, cellular or fiber optic systems, but it is a much better browsing experience than what I had. I streamed my first movie ever and had no buffering once the download began. I am happy with my choice to re up with Hughesnet until something better is available!

Comments:

Review by shawnbb See Profile

• Location: Bartlesville,Washington,OK
Good "it is something"
Bad "everything else"
Overall "no other choice... only then"
Mail,DNS,News:

I had this service. It was ALOT of work to even get working, it was over priced, I had to pay extra for installation. ANY weather at all = no service. Ping; 1.5k, Downloads bursty= not good AT ALL for any Online gaming.

FOREIGN CUSTOMER SERVICE/ TECH SUPPORT? YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! No.. Im not kidding.

Only way I got out of this contract was adding it to my bankruptcy claim; the satellite still decorates my rooftop. A reminder that hughesnet=FAIL.

Never tried gen4, but them needing a commercial to talk them up tells me something= if they need a commercial to talk them up, they are worthless.

Comments:

kingtucky

Worthless!

What a joke this service is. I can't wait till the day my contract ends, at which point I will rip the freakin satellite off my house and set it on fire with a Youtube recording for the viewing pleasure of the Hughes Net people. Downloads are slow, and you have "unlimited downloads" only from 11pm-4am. If you watch two 5 minute videos at any other time, and you essentially get punished for using too much download space. If you get "frapped", you have to buy tokens to restore your download, or wait 24 hours for it to restore. If you are super conservative and never actually enjoy your internet, you get a "free" token a month to use in case of getting frapped. If you happen to mysteriously get frapped one morning, you have to call an outsourced hotline at which point you will speak with someone thats somewhere in South Asia. They will inevitably tell you that you exceeded your download allowance, despite the fact you specifically made sure to use high traffic applications like Youtube during the 11pm-4am time period. When you ask for a specific date and time at which your system overloaded, you will be promptly hassled and not given an answer to your question besides "sometime between 10-11pm". You will haggle with the service agent until they get in trouble for taking 5 minutes on an individual call and you will finally get your download back. And you pay $80 minimum for this overwhelming joy of an internet service! If you can, buy a cable bundle and forget you even thought about Hughes Net at all.

Review by nodachi See Profile

• Location: Penhold,AB
Good "at least it is not Explornet."
Bad "DNS never works"
Overall "IT SUCKS!!"
Mail,DNS,News:

Tried Explornet first it was just as bad. (Ripped me off for $578 wile saying they were unable to serve.) Then I ordered 150 connection from Hughes net 28 months ago. they took 2 months to find a techy in my area and he had no clue as it was his first install. Got a HN9000. Techy informed me the best they were going to give me was a 128 connection for $65/month. It was ok at first. Consistently got my 128 I had been promised for about 6 months. (I am always careful not to go over my limit.) Then slowly slower and slower it got. Accelerator Error Page more and more often. Now DNS fails ever second link you click. Support call after support call (even a new HN9000) till now it is just painful to even read this forum. Since the Gen4 thing I can not even get tech support as all they do is nag me to take a new 2 year contract.

Comments:

Review by sreilly24590 See Profile

• Location: Scottsville,Albemarle,VA
Good "Sometimes better than dialup"
Bad "Poor tech support, high cost, lousy speeds regardless of modem or plan"
Overall "Try anything else if available"
Mail,DNS,News:

I've been using Direcway now Hughes for almost 6 years and have upgraded modems over that time. Service was good at first but speeds have slowed to almost dialup for the past 6 months. Upgraded to the HNS7000 modem as well as plan and was told to expect better performance. The net result has been higher cost and slower speeds. Tech support is over seas and seems mostly scripted. Problems are the same with each call and redundant answers not resulting in any improvement. Due to contract terms, you can get locked into a nightmare without any recourse. If you really need high speed and can't get anything else, beware. It may run fine for some time but the overall experience I've had is terrible. I guess the catch phrase is "speeds up to" which can be 1 kbps to, in my case 1.5 mbps, which I have never seen. Best performace was when I had the old two way modems but that was long ago. I'm sorry to say that this is a poor service and I can't wait till Broadband over Powerlines comes to my neck of the woods.

After 10 years of waiting we finally got DSL from Centurylink, was Sprint, and at a fraction of the cost. Faster speeds greater bandwidth, varying results. Seems we need to reboot the modem from time to time to get our speeds back. Cost wise I'm saving money for a change. Anytime you can save 50-60$ a month and get better service it's a plus. A big thanks to Centurylink for working hard to serve this small switch and getting us the DSL we've been waiting for for so long.

Comments:

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID

Speed

I must be the only one with really good speed, for example.. Yesterday evening I downloaded Windows 8 from Microsoft.com and its a 2gb download and it only took 25 minutes.

Sorry to hear that you and others dont have same quality of service.
mbslk32

join:2013-02-13
San Andreas, CA

Re: Speed

you must be living in the city

Elvira

@sbcglobal.net

down line

Since the small rural areas use the same lines you might want to ask Alamede where the line is down. They told the customers they will not fix the downed line. So beware there are downed lines that are not being fixed because they do not have repairmen to fix them. I hope that helps you out

Review by Hughessuck01 See Profile

• Location: Garden Valley,El Dorado,CA
Bad "GARBAGE DONT GET IT GEN 4 CAUTION SCAM"
Mail,DNS,News:

This company is the worst get dial up its way faster than Gen 4. Sales people lied about everything. This Gen 4 hughs stuff is the worst so slow wont do anything the said. If your in your 30 days cancel asap what a joke. Liers all of them service is the worst!