HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by pistachionut See Profile

• Location: Waverly,Wood,WV
Good "Rural availability"
Bad "Download Cap, Price"
Overall "Satisfactory alternative, do your research"
Mail,DNS,News:

UPDATE: 3-10-13

Just streamed a VOD HD movie through DirecTV last night, didn't stutter once. Yeah it eats a large chunk of the monthly allowance but I was impressed. Just another testament about how far satellite internet has come over the years.

Dec. 8, 2012:

Decided it was time to update this as the original review was many years old and hinged from the initial days of the 7000 series service. Currently using Gen4.

Satellite service is demonized but if you know what you are getting into with some research then your expectations wont be ridiculous.

Is this comparable to Fiber Based? No. Is this comparable to Cable Based? No. Is this comparable to DSL based? No. Is this comparable to Cell Based? Loosely.

Satellite is considered as a last resort service, and it is marketed as such by the companies themselves. If you live in town and get pissed at your cable/phone provider, this is not your solution.

First, it is expensive. Plans generally range from $50.00 to $130.00, depending on if you bundle with a satellite TV provider, speeds wanted and data allowance...and that cost is pre-tax and pre-lease. These guys are just like your cable and phone companies. They advertise one price but hide the actual price in modem lease and other bogus fees. So plan on your final cost being 10-15 dollars higher than the advertised price.

Second, latency is not your friend. If you are reading this and frequently visit this site then you are probably more tech savvy than the average Internet user and know exactly what I mean. Pings are going to range from 750 to 2000+ consistently. Good for online gaming? No. Good for VOIP phone? No. Skype? No. You get the idea (compare to fiber/cable/dsl where good pings can be 40 or lower).

Third, you'll be agreeing to a contract (24 months)...UNLESS you want to pay substantially more for your intial hookup and purchase your equipment. Last I checked Hughes still offered this method and it would drop the 10 dollars a month lease off your monthly bill.

Fourth, data allowance. Think that cable companies 250 GB cap is ridiculous? Try 20 or 30 gigs, and even that is split between anytime and "bonus bytes" available for use in a 2AM - 8AM window.
Basically the plan I am on gives me a total of 30 gigs. I have 15 gigs to use whenever I please. I have another 15 gigs for use during the 2-8AM window. If I exceed the 15 gig bonus bytes it starts digging into my anytime data. If I hit all 30 GB 10 days into my current month, tough cookies. I either deal with the drastic speed reduction til reset or I can purchase restore tokens for some extra data allowance. While not crazy expensive, they are still a slap on the face for what little data you get for the price.

Fifth, speed. My currently download speed SHOULD be 12mb down. Do I get this speed? Rarely, if ever. Speeds range from 150K to 10M in my speed tests so far. But they are consistently higher that what I received on the 7000 and 9000 series.

Just sounds horrible, right? Why on earth would you ever get this monstrosity?? Lets explain some good stuff.

First, while expensive it is cheaper than ever before. Initial startup costs can be virtually zero dollars with mail-in rebates and "ever present" sales. The first time I installed satellite it cost over $400 day one. Now you can get it done for $50 or less.

Second, latency. While the pings are high, they are better. So far on GEN4 im seeing pings staying below 1000, whereas before it was usually above 1000 and often 2000.

Fourth, data allowance. They aren't great, but they have improved. You are getting more data for the price now, and the adoption of tokens is a good, if expensive, way to still use your service if you accidentallly download that huge file because you left your computer on overnight, etc. There was a time this was not an option (you hit the cap? too bad - deal with it till the reset)

Fifth, speed. They are higher, and more consistent, and work better with the newer technology. My first satellite connection was 500k, now it is 12M, there was a time I thought Id never get these speeds.

Basically people do your research and set realistic expectations with satellite internet service. It has its niche and place, and If you understand what it is and what it's for you wont come on here and give it a 0% review because you thought it was like cable/fiber/dsl when you moved from the city to the country.

One last thing. And this is a pro, remember that super derecho back in late June, did massive damage and all that. My satellite was still working. Didnt have to wait on the utlities to fix thousands of miles of lines.

Comments:

scottymead

join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID

impressed

I as well am impressed with Hughes Net I have never had issues with the service. About a month ago I downloaded Windows 8 and the download only took 25 minutes for 2GB

• Location: Siler,Whitley,KY
Overall "hughesnet gen 4 worst ever"
Mail,DNS,News:

ok were do i start??? i reacttavte my service call them ask the full amount they told me so i payed it.

my bill isnt due till 4-27-13,so the page pops up and says my service is interruppted ,so i call they say i need to pay a hundred 25 dollars now for this page to go away and fo rme to use the service again!and my bill isnt due for a nother 20 days ,,what a bunch of crap this guy was saying,,,,,,and the service really sucks slow all the time,,bill always high,,and they always tell you a bunch of crap on the phone.

wish i never installed this gen 4 .

i just dont undersatnd how you have to pay your bill every 2 or 3 weeks to have internet?

well that what he was saying.

ive pay them a lot of money and they just want more.

another 125 dollars wene i planily called them and ask what was the full amount of the bill i need to pay and they told me excatly the amount now there saying 2 weeks later that we need to pay 125 now for our service to work for 20 more days wene our bill is due the 27 ,gen4 and hughes net can kiss my @#$ i aint giving them more money its to high NOW..o well il just get wildblue or some other service .

maybe they isnt as bad as gen 4... i no my typing sucks but so do hughes net gen 4 two............

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

lol

I have no idea what you wrote lol , cancel them get verizon LTE or something.

admin123

@myvzw.com

Re: lol

I understand him satellite sucks .

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter
I'm going to guess is there was an extra charge for install or expensive fluids for the executives bowel cleansing, so since Hughesnet could not access the funds via a credit card or auto bank withdrawal, they cut his service and put up a pay window.

A lot of services are 'pay for the month ahead' , so the company can try to ensure no loss of revenue from billing issues.

HOODSTR

Hughesnet. sucks

IT IS NOT JUST as easy as cancelling and getting somebody else. they lock you into a 24 month contract & overcharge you at will. You will not get an English speaking person on the phone to discuss. You will not get ANYONE on the phone for over 40 minutes of wait time. You will be told by this non-english speaking person that they will resolve the problem and they do not. You will be told you will get an email and you do not. Then they will CHARGE YOU AGAIN!! This company is a grand scam & their service is the WORST!! If you are in the country, you don't have a lot of providers to choose from.

Review by diablo1892 See Profile

• Location: Rockville,Hanover,VA
Good "Good speeds with the Gen4"
Bad "poor costumer service and connection (due to high latency)"
Overall "Really a big improvement from 7000 to HT1000, could'nt be happier"

·Frontier Communi..
I don't consider broadband nor even recommend anyone getting it...

We WERE to order the very last one, the one that's business packages BUT they never gave us it... They gave us a lamb package and now we have this so called "download allowance meter" ..

The install process? well the guy got the dish installed and had already got his laptop hocked up just to be sure that its operational but after dish installation, he layed there on the roof talking to his wife...

Not sure what the brand nor the equipment he used but i do know the brand of the Hughes net receiver: HN7000S and for the switch its: D-link also with a WI-FI modem...

Well as far as me TRYING to play on far cry 2 Multiplayer I think that tells me enough.. Tons of lag and more than enough weird stuff happening while game play..

This would be my second time reviewing this provider.. What you see above is back when I had the HN7000 edition, I am now using the Gen4 HT1000. Still using the WiFi as provided above (same with switch) .. Got the upgrade in november, we were forced to upgrade cause the speed on the old modem just completely died one day, modem started making weird noises so we traded in for another and brand new one.. Well that did'nt do anything, speeds were still dead, could not download or upload anything and ever since we made the upgrade we'v been getting hammered lately with Gen4 invitations. The max speed that i seen Gen4 do was 1.5mb/s and thats really good but sadly it's not what we're paying for however it will work for us.

We're still paying the same price as we did with HN7000 ($110/month) so can't really complain on that. The allowance is wayyyyyy bigger and a little stressful than the old 500mb, now we're able to download bigger amounts of files, tokens are up to 2x cheeper than the old ones, for a 500mb token on the old you would pay $10 for just one but with the new you can get two 500mb tokens with $10 so they are definitely cheaper.

Most of the bugs have been worked out of the system so far but if your wanting to get it I suggest waiting it out for a couple more months, hughes is trying to get there email provider, allowance and token restoration up and working correctly. But I must say its really a big improvement.

member for 3.5 years, 737 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ivordurham See Profile

• Location: Parlier,Fresno,CA
Good "Gen4 is a speed improvement"
Bad "No current Gen4 plan has a static IP option and you cannot go back to Gen3"
Overall "Caveat emptor!"

A client of mine needed higher bandwidth and upgraded their HughesNet service to the new Gen4 PowerMax plan without checking whether or not their static IP address would survive. It didn't and in taking the order Hughes did not alert them to this. Only dynamic IPs are available with Gen4 now. Hughes says they are "working on it" but don't have a committed schedule for static IP availability. Worse, after you have been upgraded, Hughes has no protocol for restoring the previous Gen3 service. They did offer a modest discount on the service for three months, but that does not restore the functionality that depended on port forwarding which in turn depended on the fixed IP address. So being in a sufficiently isolated location not served by DSL or Cable, my client is in a tough spot. There is one fixed-wireless provider in the area which has service plans that include a static IP address, so that may be an alternative. However, while the price for the equivalent of Gen3 bandwidth is virtually a wash, pricing for Gen4 equivalent bandwidth is significantly higher and currently out of reach for them. Caveat emptor!

P.S. Having asked about static IP addresses with Gen4 on the Hughes community forum I replied to my own post with the information that they have no static IP solution and that you cannot downgrade again, so beware. Hughes removed the post "to keep the discussion focused on solutions". i.e. They censor anything that doesn't reflect well on them and could prevent another customer from getting into difficulties.

Comments:
cordell

join:2013-01-24
Reidsville, NC

question static vs. dynamic with HughesNet

Quick question: If I use an email application on my mac called "Mail" to access (send and retrieve email through) my gmail account, are you saying that if I changed from HN9000 static IP to Gen4 dynamic IP that I would no longer be able to send and retrieve email to and from gmail as I currently do through my mac application? Furthermore, would my ability to upload and download via a ftp application to a remote server where my web site is hosted be affected as well? Sorry to ask what may be elementary questions. Thank you.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Re: question static vs. dynamic with HughesNet

The answer is no. Ask your questions in a forum, not a review.

• Location: Wendell,Franklin,MA
Good "Mild speed improvement from previous hughes net satellite service."
Bad "Did not meet the hype promising true high speed service"
Overall "Best choice where no other available, otherwise get dsl or cable"

Our experience with Hughes net Gen 4 is that it did not meet the hype,
but was a mild improvement over our previous hughes net plan.

We have no options but satellite and dial-up. No cell, no cable, no
dsl. So the promises of radical speed increases by hughes net with
their new gen4 satellite and excede got me excited. Alas, what we got is
not that different from our previous satellite experience. It's clearly
better (as in faster, and I think a little more reliable as well), but
not dramatically. The reason of course is that latency is just a fact
of life with satellites. The service is sold on raw download speed, but
it's simply not speedy to send a request for a page up to the satellite
back down to the internet backbone and then send the page back. It
sounds sexy, but the speed increase is most felt when downloading files,
which is not the time you most notice the slow speed (ie, surfing the
web). VPN still does not work (because of latency).

So, measured against the expectations of satellite internet, I'm
pleased. Under no circumstances would I recommend it to anybody who had
the option of cable or dsl. Cell . . . It's probably close. My small
mifi experience found them agonizingly slow, but probably a bit faster
than satellite, though not by much.

My experience with hughes net customer service is fair to poor. Level 1
is outsourced to India or the Philippines and they tend to know little
and walk through a script. Fine if you need more simple solutions, but
it doesn't take long to reach the end of their capacity. Escalate and
you are in Texas and my two times with them I wasn't impressed and felt
led astray. It's not awful - they've reset my registration and helped
me out in other ways a number of times, and they are polite and try to
help. This experience is from our previous hughes net experience.

We've now had a gen4 system for about 4 months and only needed to call
customer service once.

Gen 4 measures usage monthly instead of daily. I was afraid of that,
but I find we are doing ok staying in our limit. The monthly limit
actually seems to work better for us than a daily cap. We've actually
be able to download from a higher capacity plan to the bottom of the
line Gen 4 plan, so we are saving money while getting better service.
Not bad.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

gnburk

HughesNet Gen4

Like you, we recently switched to Hughesnet Gen 4 and have experienced a modest increase in transfer speed. Whereas before we averaged a download speed of approx 2 Mbs we now average something around 4Mbs with occasional periods as fast as 9Mbs and as slow as 1.5Mbs. Clearly no where near the advertised 15Mbs ever. In addition, even with the top offered plan "Business 400" we usually exceed the 20GB/month limit and must go through the gymnastics to buy "Tokens" that each good for an extra GB. The HughesNet online service has never allowed us to buy these tokens online, reporting that our provider does not offer them. However, a phone call to the HughesNet Tech support (or Marketing), along with the patience to persist through the first several responders who seem to have either no knowledge or actually wrong information, finally results in a helpful person who easily facilitates the transaction.
If any possible broadband alternative exists to satellite ISP, by all means use that. Otherwise, HughesNet serves at a minimal level.

Review by will23 See Profile

• Location: Dutchtown,Cape Girardeau,MO
Good "You have great speeds till you hit your limit."
Bad "The speeds are unbareable when you hit your limit."
Overall "It just isn't worth it for those that stream movies everyday."
Mail,DNS,News:

Well I decided to get it because I was just tired of a slow 1.3Mbps connection being split. So I decided to sign up with hughesnet. I got their basic package and everything was going perfectly for the first two weeks. Only issue was that the service went down a few times and in the rain it was in degraded condition. After the 2 weeks all of a sudden the limit went down rapidly and got to zero in a day or 2. Thing is that for the 2 weeks I had it the download meter kept resetting each night to 100%. Then all of a sudden it was being drained as if you poked several holes in a water bottle with a nail. If it would have kept resetting daily I would have been fine with it. But with this .2Mbps connection it just isn't worth it especially since it is split to 2 computers. Thing was when I signed up the sales told me it would be at least 1Mbps if the limit was met. Then later when it was met they said it should be .5Mbps. I have just been getting told false information left and right ever since I have signed up. Also they told me I would get 1GB reset tokens each month and it was really only 500MBs. They said they would give me another 500MB reset token because of being told falsely but I haven't seen it yet. I would rather have a service that stays steady through the month instead of getting really fast and going down to unusable after 2 weeks. I hope this helps someone that is looking to sign up. As in the end they really aren't worth it unless you have it on one computer and don't really look at 1-2 videos each day.

Comments:
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

All i can say

You should have read feedback here before signing up with those crooks.If you try to cancel they are going to take hundreds of $ from your CC and not likely you will get it back.Their way of saying thanks for giving us your CC #

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

Cancel the card before they bill it.

CANCEL THAT CREDIT CARD NOW! LOL

Review by TexasMusic See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Lee,TX
Good "Nothing. Absolutely nothing."
Bad "Equipment, network, tech support, pricing, reliability. Other than that....."
Mail,DNS,News:

I'm not a person who writes public reviews, but HughesNet has been so consistently awful that they've earned this one.

We've had them since 2005 at our home in rural Texas when they were the only option available for service. The network has, in our experience, *always* been slow, fragile and poorly serviced. When the network was actually functioning, no matter how carefully we monitored our usage, no matter how literally impossible it was to have exceeded our bandwidth, we would constantly trip the brake on our account, requiring another pointless call to India to service people who didn't care and could do nothing to address the problems. By way of qualification here, we don't do any online gaming, watch online video only rarely and never got in the habit of downloading much music because we've never had good enough Internet service to do so but still managed to somehow be put in a position where we were hustled to buy tokens to get back the service we were never receiving in the first place.

Customer service calls usually involve long waits to talk to a marginal English speaker who is obviously reading from a list of prepared responses and it usually took multiple calls like this to get bumped up to someone who actually had the knowledge and authority to address our issues. The one service visit from one of their contractors was mostly about pressuring us to upgrade to the newer service at a significant price hike. The very strong overall impression was "We don't have any competitors in your area and don't have to do any better than this."

The SAT service that has replaced HughesNet has been everything HughesNet isn't. Customer service is based in America, the installation tech was here within 48 hours of the initial call to sales and the speed of the network is beyond anything we have ever received from HughesNet in the last 8 years. I also don't have to reboot their receiver unit several times a day unlike the receiver unit we got from HughesNet.

I would gladly, happily join in on *any* class action lawsuit against HughesNet now or at any time in the future for breach of contract because, well, because they've earned that kind of contempt. If you're contemplating HughesNet for Internet service, do yourself a big favor and look into mobile hotspots or one of the newer services like Exede instead of putting yourself in a position to be as disgusted and angry with HughesNet as I am within a year of starting service with them.

Comments:

Matt

@verizon.net

Unreliability and no customer service

My wife ordered Hughesnet yesterday and after speaking with a friend, He told me the service was shit. It lagged and he quit them. Well, when the installers contacted me, I told them to put off our appt. because I'm cancelling my order. I've tried multiple calls and their wait time is "approximately less than 8 minutes." No answer for either of the 3 calls. So, I tried to start a chat with one of their representatives. No response there. I sent them an email just now and am wondering how much assistance I'm going to get with cancelling an order.

Customer1

@direcway.com

Re: Unreliability and no customer service

No worries! The installer is the one who submits the final completed order and from there on you will be billed. Since you cancelled the install, you should not be billed.

zeep

@myvzw.com

Re: Unreliability and no customer service--HughesNet Gen4

I agree! Gen4 was installed about 3 months ago and worked OK up till one week ago. We have been down nearly all the time since and cannot get a truthful answer from them about resolution. I was told that we would get credited for the down time. We will see.

Alaskanr

@gci.net

Hughsnet

We had Hughsnet for the last 4 years because that's the only thing that was available. The speed has never been fast. Customer service is poor. You get about 475mb, give or take, of download a day, which is their highest plan. Then when you've exceeded your limit, you can buy tokens. This is a huge pain. We spend way too much time (a couple hours each time) on the phone with customer service trying to figure out why it's so slow when we have 100% allowance for the day. The poor guy in India has no clue. Being in rural Alaska our phone service sometimes will disconnect without warning. Their customer service would not take a call back number, making it so we would have to call back and wait for someone else and explain our problem a second time. Now that we have another internet service provider in the area, we are canceling our service with Hughsnet......Not as easy as it sounds. Hughsnet requires us to fax a letter and than call back in three days to verbally cancel. WHAT!? I asked them if we could scan email, because we no longer have a fax. They said no. I said ok, give me your address to send it to. They said they don't have an address. What!? They don't do what they advertise and they make it difficult to cancel. Stay away from Hughsnet!!!!!

Review by Chadwi See Profile

• Location: Mount Pleasant,Titus,TX
Good "Increased speed from old system, install was timely, tools to help get the most out of your alloted amount of data"
Bad "Ping rate, expence"
Overall "If you are in a rural area with limited options, Gen4 by Hughesnet is solid choice."
Mail,DNS,News:

I have been a Hughes net customer since May of 2010. I started with the older satellite system with max download speed of 1.5mbps .5mbps. Dur ring off peak hours I would get .75 to 1mbps on a good day. Durring peak hours I was lucky to exceed dial up speeds. I had not planned to renew my contract once my two years was fulfilled. I was holding out for the off chance that 4g LTE would be available in my rural part of East Texas. I kept checking with Verizon on when they were planning to flip the switch. They finally did in Dec. 2012. I bought a 4g mifi device and headed home to find out.... the 4g signal dropped of 1 block from my house. The 3g signal was a weak 2 bars and achieved 150kbps. I decided I would go ahead and check out Gen4 with Hughes net since Verizon let me out of my contract since no service (thanks Verizon that was classy!).

New satellite was installed on the day promised, system was up and running in no time. The first day I saw only small increase in overall speed 2.5mbps, and tech that installed said this would be the case until satellite updated and all packets were downloaded?? I have no had Gen4 for 36 days and it is running very well. I average 9.5mbps on off peak times and 4-6mbps durring peak hours. The ping rate is still slow compared to standard cable, DSL, cellular or fiber optic systems, but it is a much better browsing experience than what I had. I streamed my first movie ever and had no buffering once the download began. I am happy with my choice to re up with Hughesnet until something better is available!

Comments:

Review by shawnbb See Profile

• Location: Bartlesville,Washington,OK
Good "it is something"
Bad "everything else"
Overall "no other choice... only then"
Mail,DNS,News:

I had this service. It was ALOT of work to even get working, it was over priced, I had to pay extra for installation. ANY weather at all = no service. Ping; 1.5k, Downloads bursty= not good AT ALL for any Online gaming.

FOREIGN CUSTOMER SERVICE/ TECH SUPPORT? YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! No.. Im not kidding.

Only way I got out of this contract was adding it to my bankruptcy claim; the satellite still decorates my rooftop. A reminder that hughesnet=FAIL.

Never tried gen4, but them needing a commercial to talk them up tells me something= if they need a commercial to talk them up, they are worthless.

Comments:

kingtucky

Worthless!

What a joke this service is. I can't wait till the day my contract ends, at which point I will rip the freakin satellite off my house and set it on fire with a Youtube recording for the viewing pleasure of the Hughes Net people. Downloads are slow, and you have "unlimited downloads" only from 11pm-4am. If you watch two 5 minute videos at any other time, and you essentially get punished for using too much download space. If you get "frapped", you have to buy tokens to restore your download, or wait 24 hours for it to restore. If you are super conservative and never actually enjoy your internet, you get a "free" token a month to use in case of getting frapped. If you happen to mysteriously get frapped one morning, you have to call an outsourced hotline at which point you will speak with someone thats somewhere in South Asia. They will inevitably tell you that you exceeded your download allowance, despite the fact you specifically made sure to use high traffic applications like Youtube during the 11pm-4am time period. When you ask for a specific date and time at which your system overloaded, you will be promptly hassled and not given an answer to your question besides "sometime between 10-11pm". You will haggle with the service agent until they get in trouble for taking 5 minutes on an individual call and you will finally get your download back. And you pay $80 minimum for this overwhelming joy of an internet service! If you can, buy a cable bundle and forget you even thought about Hughes Net at all.

Review by nodachi See Profile

• Location: Penhold,AB
Good "at least it is not Explornet."
Bad "DNS never works"
Overall "IT SUCKS!!"
Mail,DNS,News:

Tried Explornet first it was just as bad. (Ripped me off for $578 wile saying they were unable to serve.) Then I ordered 150 connection from Hughes net 28 months ago. they took 2 months to find a techy in my area and he had no clue as it was his first install. Got a HN9000. Techy informed me the best they were going to give me was a 128 connection for $65/month. It was ok at first. Consistently got my 128 I had been promised for about 6 months. (I am always careful not to go over my limit.) Then slowly slower and slower it got. Accelerator Error Page more and more often. Now DNS fails ever second link you click. Support call after support call (even a new HN9000) till now it is just painful to even read this forum. Since the Gen4 thing I can not even get tech support as all they do is nag me to take a new 2 year contract.