HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by ecoalex See Profile

• Location: San Andreas,Calaveras,CA
Mail,DNS,News:

I waited for Hughes Gen 4,then after early info from Exede,which was bad;only 5Mbs speed,7500 Gbs monthly allowance,I chose Gen4;10Mbs speed,10Gbs FAP.While comparing ,Exede was cancelled for my area.

I got the Power package,which is $62/Month.

The Hughes sales Rep said there was roll over of unused bandwidth(False) also she said Hughes would slow me down to 5Mbs if I exceeded 10Gbs in a month.With my service slowing to as low as .22 every evening,I'd love to get 5Mbs.The installer did a good job replacing my Wildblue dish with the Gen 4 dish.He was fast and knowledgeable.

I have the Hughes HT 1000 modem

Customer service in the beginning was good,as was the speeds all day,for 2+ weeks,then nite speeds slowed down.In the Hughes forum the Rep said they would look into my slow nite speed,but Customer service when called, said "heavy usage slowed service".I don't like the overly apologetic foreign customer service.Also they repeat the same rote of phrases ad nauseum,while saying yes, service is terribly slow in the evenings,it's the way it is.

Hughes did restore full FAP after a service disruption.I found this refreshing.

The "game" is to dwnload large files in the early morning before 8 Am, (bonus bytes) or before 12 Pm,when the service starts to slow down.

Once you know how to use the service , I rate it good for speed if you play the "game".

It does irk me to see Gen 4 Ads on the Tv with dial-up speeds in the evenings.due to heavy customer usage.

Comments:

Review by jim_p_price7 See Profile

• Location: Henryetta,Okmulgee,OK
Good "You own the equipment."
Bad "Consumer confidence- product still needs time to mature."
Overall "Leaves you wanting for so much more."

I removed this review because the service sucked. So bad, in fact, that I started my own Wireless ISP 3 years ago. Now I'm saving other folks from the pain of this horrible service.

But if you have no other choice, it's a bit better than dial up.

Comments:

Review by sherlockohms See Profile

• Location: Cedar Ridge,Nevada,CA
Bad "At least dial-up is consistent!!"
Mail,DNS,News:

I have had Hughsnet for a couple of years. If there were any other service available,I would run to it.

Since everything is on the net anymore We have smartphones iPads and four computers using the internet. I go through the measly 425 MEG in a couple of hours if everyone is on the net. That gives me dial-up for the next 24 hours.

Now I looked at GEN-4 for some solution. Looks good at first, but looking at the fine print, with the $100 plan, which is top of the line, you only get 450 MEG before they cut you off. Its $99 a month. I'm not even going to make a phone call for 25 more MEG for an added $29 bucks a month. I'll just get to the cut-off faster with the increased speed they offer. Please ATT, Comcast, somebody run some fiber out here and pick up between 100 and 1000 customers!!!!!!!!!

Comments:

squinty01968

@sbcglobal.net

bad info

pretty sure that top plan is 40GB's not 450MB's

Review by twilitezoe See Profile

• Location: Saukville,Ozaukee,WI
Good "DSL like"
Bad "Limited usage, over priced, underpowered. high latency"
Overall "Only if last choice"

Simple terms overpriced,underpowered.

Only if you have no other choice would I go with Hughes.

I moved into a rural Hughes ISP household from a nice TDSMetro 4Mbps connection. At first I thought oh this could be nice, something with reasonable speed, But soon discovered many short comings. The first of which was paltry daily usage limit. Our account, Proplan Plus 425Mb data, was best bang for buck, however more than twice as expensive as TDS and extremely limited.

When I discovered the limit. We'd have to wait Twenty-Fours Hours, That's 24 HOURS to be restored to normal speed. (our penalty using too much, what a joke.) So speeds went from 1Mbs to Early day dialup speeds, meaning 10k+. Far from what their site stated would be usable for email during this time. you can't hardly do email on dial-up unless it's text only and their email client is HTML driven also.

Watch their commercials and carefully chosen words. (Not just the usual "up to" either.) They don't mention FAP or even show what equipment you need. While they're not lying, they're not tell you everything. And then it's too late unless you do your research such as this website.

About 2 years ago Hughes did start improving.

We got an extra 50Mb per day added to our plan. Everyone did across the board. While helpful still paltry.

You might even think 475Mb per day is enough. perhaps with light usage. Part of the trouble is however, Many websites are very rich. especially the ones that have video advertising or start videos with no way of stopping the download aside from closing the browser. I remember one morning where I loaded a page from a news site. I figured it'd be text. So I went to make breakfast, come back and find out I used half a days allotment in a matter of minutes because video had started. While I learned to be careful this can happen and does not make a pleasant day.

One other time, middle of afternoon, antivirus or something decided do an update on it's own and this was a tough one to figure out which program was updating since some do that in the background. All I could see was the meter kept depleting. I think I had to use a monthly "free" token to reset my system. You can set programs to update in the wee hours of the morning such as MS auto-update, etc. to avoid going over.

However that gets old fast. Remember when it used to be fun to stay up late. Not with Hughesnet. I would wait til 1AM to update the GPS (1GB data) and/or major demos, downloads, MS-update, And then if a storm happen to come along and/or you lost your connection, sol. Restart the download and hope for no errors whilst downloading. This was especially aggravating if this happened during the day because every single bit of data counts towards your allotment.

There was some hope. Hughes came out with a kinder, gentler plan that allowed rollover. At least now you might be able to do something if you had a heavy usage day and were otherwise a light user.

Daily headaches, suspected satellite outrage errors and other interesting error pages Everyday.

No kidding. (and I know something about computer maintenance and repair to know it wasn't the computer(s) at fault.) Often a modem power cycle was required.

In the meantime I kept looking for a new solution to data limits since I now live rural. I looked at our cell phone plan. Even less allotment, although possibly faster and I didn't want to burn money finding out if that would work. I checked with cable since it's about a mile or 2 away. A third party reseller said, insisted, it would work because if i ordered it the cable company would Have to install it. (uh-huh) My brother works for that cable company so I got the scoop on the last mile. too expensive.

We also did check with a wireless carrier and that would almost work except that a 100' tower would need to be erected. too expensive. We would need to get above the tree line since it's line of sight system.

I was ready to give up when somehow I came upon a decent mobile system that truckers and RV'rs use called CDMA also known as EV-DO,1X, etc. i.e. 3G.

two characters that would be my saviour. I found a 3G reseller called Millenicom and have been much happier ever since. Still pricey but cheaper than satellite and 50GB monthly usage. More than enough. Maybe a tad slower than Hughes, but easier and reliable. I will be posting a review of Millenicom soon. I have been using them for 11 months. 1 Year mark I will review.

So to summarize. Hughesnet to me is overpriced, under-powered daily headache inducing. I understand they now have a 4G system, but seems only new customers may get a deal. Still pricey, What about the current customers? In any case you do a new 2-year contract, have to get a new modem and probably a new dish as well as needing a third party technician. And still support is more often than not overseas. "Hello. My name Peggy"

Good "nothing"
Bad "everything ...it does not work"
Overall "it is a rip off"
Mail,DNS,News:

most of time it wont load the broweser rarely works at all think the satillate was installed wrong if not than this servace is a joke not worth any money it never works

(review was emailed in)

Comments:

Review by Figgy See Profile

Good "NONE"
Bad "slow and slower"
Overall "Totally sucks"

When I pay $70 and only get 8kbps download and 115 upload I'd call the service virtually nonexistent. Think I'll go back to dial up, it's cheaper and faster!!!!

Comments:
Figgy

join:2010-05-15

Hughesnet

Gave up and went back to dialup today..Was paying for 10mbps but getting .05-.11mbps for 2 weeks.

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
·Frontier Communi..

Re: Hughesnet

said by zalternate:

Sounds like you got FAPped.

So many MB's per day depending on package. 24 hour FAP jail before speeds come back.
But FAP free time from 2am to 7am eastern time.

This is'nt a FAP problem, its NOC and i'll tell ya why- When in FAP lane UL speed is normally lower than DL speed, samething goes with normal land lines.. Its not normal to have your UL speed stronger than your other. Besides I also am having this problem with my HN7000S- been having this issue since the day the released Gen4
HN7000S/ 1 watt/ pro plus edition/ 4 pc's on a D-Link wired router/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

Review by iverglynne See Profile

• Location: Lowman,Chemung,NY
Bad "taking advantage of limited options--ruining internet experience"

First--new equipment replaced identical functioning equipment when I asked to have the installers take a look at the old dish and see if it would work. He said the work orders were for all new. I was charged and the old one left for me to dispose of. Next--I truly believe at this point that HughesNet is stopping functionality of the Netflix site in order to promote sales of their TV partner DishNetwork. Shame on them if this is true. Do I want to go backwards? No! DVDs have not been necessary for me for years. Do I want a TV and DishNetwork? No! I only want to stream as I have for a decade or even longer--and even in China! They blame business owners for using their individual services to WiFi for the use of the business--so--therefore data must be limited for all. Excuse me? We are not ignorant of the facts nor of monopolizing strategies!

If companies want to profit from the streaming of data--at least we should be yet allowed a full internet experience within those packages. Otherwise I am totally suspect of their motives for such a ploy as to reduce the free exchange of information in video format. Sounds a little too Chinese to be honest. When I lived there, both YouTube and Facebook were banned because of their ability to inform--just shut off nationwide one day. So I know the Netflix website can be manipulated from HughesNet if they were so inclined

Who, here, is is determining this backward trend and why? Let them have limited data! If there is not enough to go around then limit your customers and take less profit--don't place limits on the internet experience or fancy dance corporate squeeze-outs of net-based competition for you "partners."

Comments:

Review by asdjf See Profile

• Location: Moorefield,Hardy,WV
Good "Somewhat functional as a backup isp"
Bad "Bad service and they tried to scam me"
Overall "Avoid unless you have to have it"

·Frontier Communi..
We got this as a backup in a location that had very little choices where constant net access was vital. To be fair, it does do that.

Now then, on the third time they called to reschedule the install because this satellite ISP inexplicably did not have any satellite dishes, I told them that the only reason I was signing up was for the Gen4 service they just rolled out and would I be getting that. HughesNet told me that I would be upgraded for free as soon as it was out for no charge, and that the equipment they were sending me would work fine. Fast forward a couple months and now they tell me I need new equipment, another installer to come out, and it would be a $200 fee to upgrade.

This is of course breach of contract and I am considering filing a lawsuit. In addition to all this, the speeds are horrendous, 20% of the time when you click a link it just brings up an error talking about satellite problems, and the satellite dish is this big ugly thing that they had to put right in the middle of my front yard and demanded the landlord cut down one of the most beautiful trees in the backyard so it could get a good signal.

The few times my DSL ISP went down this service was a lifesaver, and yet they are easily the worst ISP I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

Comments:

Not laughing

@myvzw.com

Displeasure with Hughes Net

I live in tne country so my options are limited. I havehad HughesNet for almost a year now. If it doesn't rain, is cloudy or snows! It has been down at least once a week since I had it, except for the last five months I have not been able to use it. In dispear, I am now using Verison Wireless and am very pleased with it. However, I am still having $65.00 a month deducted from my bank account every month. The reason I did not drop the service is a woman I work with had all the bad service I experienced and she called them and cancelled her service. The next day they zapped her bank account for $400.
Between outages, time they said I used too much (I work 10 hrs. a day) Between the hour drive home and 8 hrs. sleep, I must really be pounding it out!
I will be glad when my contract is up.
Nothing they advertise is true. How can they get by with it. I am considering the Ohio Atty. Gen. because my neightbor recently changed from Direct TV to Dish and asked the technician about installing HughesNet for internet service. The technician told him that HughesNet did not work in this area. It was a joke. I wish the tech. that installed HughesNet for me would have been that considerate. I'm a widow. I draw social security and still have to work. I really do not appreciate being scammed.

yay

@swbell.net

Re: Displeasure with Hughes Net

hughesnet is a great service, i don't care what you say!

happy

@direcway.com
How well the system works all depends on the installer. We've had Hughes for 5 years and 0 problems. Dish TV will go out in a storm quicker than internet.

UPSET LADY

@direcway.com

Terrible Service

First don't even consider this unless you have no other options!! I have been a customer for many manyyears living in the country we have no choices.
THE icing on the cake is some salesperson gets me back into a two year contract with them with the promise that GEN4 is going to allow me faster service...enough to download movies and just overall better service. It is -0- ZERO percent better.......I HATE this company!! When I call...ususally they have such thick accents I cannot understand them--never follow through with tech support at myhome...........They are horrible

exhughsnet

@204.152.63.x

Ended HughsNet after 3 months and it was worth every penny.

After three months of frustration with poor (slow and spotty) internet service, hours of wasted time talking to India and Pakastan (think 'Hi, my name is Mary"), I put the end to the pain, paid out $370 in cancellation fees, and had Excede come put up a replacement dish/service. The icing on the cake was that it took me two calls and 30 minutes to cancel my service and i was then told it would cost a hundred bucks to have a technician come take the HughsNET stuff off the roof. I had the replacement service technician do it for free. I look forward to putting this stuff in a box and sending it back. The difference in both the customer service aspect (5 minutes on the phone to set up, schedule, etc. 2 days wait before the tech could come, etc) and the internet speed cannot be believed. End your pain, switch off HughsNet and onto anything you can....the $400 fee is worth it. Heck of a business model isn't it....suck them in, sign them up for a 24 mo contract, provide crappy service, no tech support, make them cancel, pocket the fee, put their equipment on someone elses roof, do it again.....keeps the equipment costs down.

JRanchGirl

@mycingular.net

Liars!

Hughesnet has to be the biggest liars allowed to do business in the US. How they get away with telling customers one thing and not following through is beyond me. I, too, am considering a breach of contract lawsuit. Their "customer service" is dubious and unreliable. Go anywhere else. Just do NOT go to Hughesnet unless you want to fight tooth and nail to get what they promise and then it probably still won't happen.

• Location: Upper Marlboro,Prince Georges,MD
Bad "Not Impressed"
Overall "Gen 4 not what I expected"

I have had Hughesnet service for 4 years and upgraded to Gen 4 less than 2 weeks ago. Since the upgrade I have found I have to reboot numerous times a day in order to have connection to the server. I have contacted Hughesnet's foreign customer service agents 4 times over the last 3 days trying to resolve the problem. If I leave the computer for a couple of hours and return, I get messages saying no connection to server. Attempted to contact Hughesnet through chat room, no agent ever entered chat. I live in an area with no cell phone service or DSL service and take online classes, so I feel I have been duped. Under the old service I never had these issues. Oh, and by the way, yesterday I lost service all together as their technicians said it was due to severe weather in Salt Lake City, Utah interfering with their only transponder to the Gen4 satellite. I live in MD and the weather was beautiful. Why doesn't Hughesnet have a backup?

(review was emailed from domain hughes.net)

Comments:

Gluey

@107.201.16.x

Scumbag company

Don't sign up with these scumbags. Just live with slower DSL. I canceled before installation because they never told me about the 24 month commitment over the phone.

Review by midilu See Profile

• Location: Checotah,Mcintosh,OK
Bad "I wish I had never switched!!!"
Overall "Waste of time and money"
Mail,DNS,News:

I can't WAIT for my 2-year contract to expire so I can rid myself of this albatross!!! The tech support, for one thing, is in INDIA - hello? We are experience extreme unemployment here in the USA and we are outsourcing this? BAD! Can hardly understand their accent, and most times they can't even help and have to refer to the higher tier of support, which is a secret place in Florida that you can't go straight to.

NEXT - I've lost service even in cloudless, sunny weather! I can't wait to see how they deal with the winter - dark, dingy cloudy days and nights.

I never got my rebates I was promised - EXPENSIVE!!!!

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Time for a tune up?

>I've lost service even in cloudless, sunny weather...
Why don't you adjust the dish to get a good signal?
Newbie

join:2011-04-18

Re: Time for a tune up?

Isnt that what the installer was supposed to do?
Expand your moderator at work
chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan

Secret Place

that secret place in florida is executive customer care.

here's a couple email addresses you can try to contact

·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

Re: Secret Place

WRONG!!!

ECC is based out of Maryland!!!!

Tier 4 Tech support is based out of Florida......
(and yes, you will never dial directly there unless you've already spoke to level 4.)

said by chances14:

that secret place in florida is executive customer care.

here's a couple email addresses you can try to contact