HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by Hughessuck01 See Profile

• Location: Garden Valley,El Dorado,CA
Bad "GARBAGE DONT GET IT GEN 4 CAUTION SCAM"
Mail,DNS,News:

This company is the worst get dial up its way faster than Gen 4. Sales people lied about everything. This Gen 4 hughs stuff is the worst so slow wont do anything the said. If your in your 30 days cancel asap what a joke. Liers all of them service is the worst!

Comments:

Review by Piggie See Profile

• Location: Fort Mc Coy,Marion,FL
Good "Few any more"
Bad "FAP lasts 24 hours if you exceed your bucket"
Overall "This is currently the last resort of even the satellite companies. For some with their new policy, dial up still works as good."

·Windstream
I just left Hughes.net today, Nov 30, 2006 for Windstream DSL.
I would suggest to anyone satellite that only has an option of slow dialup, in the 28.8 range. Anyone on fast dialup I am not sure what to tell you to do.

The three things I will not miss about Hughes.net.
1) FAP and Latency
2) Customer Service, equalled only by HP as the worst it can be then some, awful.
3) The price. I went from $70/month for Pro to $30/month for 3mbps DSL on Windstream.

Update May 2007 after the new FAP policy.

If I were you on a modem that could hit 43K or so, stay with that.
Their FAP policy is now totally user abusive. 24 hours of no internet if you exceed your allotment. Way way too big a penalty to be put on a user.
Their customer service continues to get worse, reading the forum since I left Hughes.

Now with the new FAP, the $60 account is about worthless. You need to consider a bigger account and if you can afford it, get the 1.2M dish and a business account.

Hughes is now so bad, it should be considered the worst ISP in the United States.

This is not only because of the new FAP, but when they changed it, they didn't inform one single user to be careful because after a 1/3 of your allotment you will be penalized with lower refill rates, nor did they tell people they were going to get 24 hours without internet until it happened to them.

Horrible way to run your customer service , just terrible.

Last thought. Had I still been on Hughes, when this new FAP started, I would have gone back to a second phone line and dialup, I kid you not.

Comments:

Sidney

@windstream.net

Hughes net in 2013

It looks like most of these comments are from 2007-08. We also previously had Hughes net at about that time and they were horrible! We now have Windstream -- the worst of the worst ever. We are getting kilobyte downloads and uploads. We've been knocked off the net 100 times in 2 weeks. We've filed a complaint with the FCC and the state PRC and discovered they have no power over ISPs for consumers -- there are NO regs for ISPs for consumers. Have been working with our Senator here in NM for over a year and making slow headway. The last communication from Windstream even suggested we look into satellite --the one with which they are connected -- Dish network.
Please let me know what Hughes is like now in January 2013. Thanks a bunch!

Piggie
I Actually use Windstream
join:2005-11-23
Orange Springs, FL

Re: Hughes net in 2013

No idea, I left them in 2006. Windstream here isn't totally as bad as many places. I get .8 to 1.5 M at night on a 3m service. Still that is better than being on satellite.

dixieland

@direcway.com
i have considered upgrading to Gen. 4 , at the moment we have the cheap hughesnet package. if we try to watch 3 u tube videos in an afternoon we loose half our download speed. not sure what to do .

Jasmin Mendo

@direcway.com
I just had the satellite set up today and only 10 mins after. i couldn't get online, the basic service is only up to 989 kbps..so slow i cant even post this comment without any interruptions. the basic plan is 39.99 plus 9 rental fee..i think this company is a ripped off and have a worse customer service. every time i call, i'm on hold for 20-30 mins!!

rockyhorses3

@direcway.com
Just a reply about Hughes net. It's Jan. 2013 and Hughes hasn't improved at all from what I'm reading. I don't know technical talk, just that I keep getting messages on my computer about lost satellite signals, and no internet connection, even tho it says I do. Calling customer support is nothing but a bunch of apologies and suggestions to turn off the modem and restart, which I've done several times. I can't wait until my contract is up!!

Chi sha

@knology.net

worst service ever experienced

July 2012 when I got the service they said you can try for free if you don't like it you will get the full refund . Dial up is better than this, I called after two weeks,cancelled the service , ask for refund ,they told me to wait two weeks , I mailed all their equipment but never received the money back lost $400.00.

Kitykat70

@getty.edu

Run as fast as you can

This is horrible servivce.. Not only was I told "guarentted that I would get a min of 5MPS and 1mps upload. My bank was debited $160 without my persmission. I authoriezed a one time fee of $40 at time of set up but never authorized my acct to be auto deducted for any other charges monthly or otherwise. I even verified with sales person that this was a one time deduction and that I would be billed later.. A week into the service I decided to cancel I was informed by the manager VIctor that he was not going to give me a refund even thought they fraudulently took money from my acct he was refusing to give me a full refund. Now I am out $190 for Shitty service that I had for literaly 7 days and am getting ready to head to there legal dept.
DO NOT USE THEM THEY WILL SCREW YOU OUT OF MONEY AND OFFER YOU BAD SERVICE
and they have the nerve to ask you if you want an upgrade ..

Review by scottymead See Profile

• Location: Post Falls,Kootenai,ID
Good "EVERYTHING"
Bad "NOTHING"
Overall "LOVE IT"
Mail,DNS,News:
(ratings well above consensus)

Little as people know, Dish Network bought Hughes Net, launched a new satellite and its better then its ever been, I love dishNET/Hughes Net!! Way better then Time Warner or Frontier.... $39.99/month

member for 7.1 years, 2378 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:
silbaco
join:2009-08-03
USA

Uh....

This is a joke... right? Firstly, you are paying $49.99 per month. There is an equipment rental. Secondly.. you have a tiny usage cap with high latency, making gaming, Netflix, and downloading large files impossible. 5GB a month, 5GB night usage. You could download more than that on Time Warner in a few hours.

Re: Uh....

nope, paying $39.99 because I have Dish Network TV service. I don't seem to have any cap on my account.
Current Usage
Anytime: Usage Is Unlimited
Off-Peak (2am - 8am): Usage Is Unlimited At This Time

I live in a rural area, Time Warner (Roadrunner) is available , ive had it... However every hour or so it would disconnect, modem would reboot. I however don't play games, watch netflix or download large files, the most I do is watch YouTube and its fast to me.

Im happy with the speed according to the speed test...

Download: 15.35 Mbps
Upload: 2.56 Mbps

Re: Uh....

Yea... You know the whole anytime unlimited is only for, at most, a month, right? Also, bonus bytes will be active soon, so say bye bye downloading. You are one of the very lucky few that see 15Mbps, I am supposed to be around 10Mbps and rarely see above 2Mbps down... Kinda makes me wanna go back to the 9000 unit sometimes.
silbaco
join:2009-08-03
USA
You didn't read your fine print then. $39.99 + $10 equipment rental.

"All plans require 24-month Agreement and $10/mo. equipment lease fee."

BTW, the Unlimited it going to be gone very soon. Then you will have 5GB Anytime, 5GB Bonus. That's going to suck.

Re: Uh....

well according to my bill im being credited the 10 dollar equipment rental. dishNET Bundle -10.00 (Modem/TRIA Lease) Unlimited or not, I dont even use 5GB a month anyways, well not with a 20 month old and a 2 month old. My time spent online is between the hours of 2 and 5 so 5GB is plenty
mbslk32

join:2013-02-13
San Andreas, CA
you must be paid big by Dish Network and Hughes.net? your statement that you wrote here is a BIG freaking LIE!
waytim

join:2011-12-01
Sterling, MI

Really?

Ok, how much did they pay you?? "Better than nothing" is the only positive thing that can be said about this service.

Re: Really?

$39.99

Re: Really?

Opps sorry, they didnt pay me anything except a good friend of mine who installs Dish Network here in North Idaho installed my service and im pleased with it.
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

What drugs are you on?

I'd go with dial-up before i would deal with those Hughes scam artists.One of them days you will find out too.How can you even attempt to say they are better than Time Warner or Frontier with LOW caps/slow speeds/High price for what you get.Think again

Re: What drugs are you on?

Dish Network bought out Hughes Net. I pay less then I did with Time Warner and Frontier..

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV

Re: What drugs are you on?

Pole mount in a Cemented bucket?
One Bump and the entire thing will be out.
Also FCC regs require 5 foot clearance.
Not busting your Chops at all but I have had my share of go arounds with folks over subpar installs. Bad Grounds corners being cut. Drunk installers.
The Pole is one that does happen to.
If Dish is allowing that, and Hughesnet is signing off on it.
The Forums will see a upsurge in folks needing assistance.
Glad you like it, although if it was me, I would exhaust all my sources on the land based lines. Everything from new Modems to rewiring the Grey box for the phone lines. Bad wire (in the home) is usually the trouble, if your neighbors have good service.

The reason folks will think your a "plant' here is the 100% rating.
Which if your not, and you really do not appear to be I would say you are fairly new to Hughes and just had it installed. And have never had to call in yet. Or ran into any issue that gets others all worked up.

$39.00 for the 15 Megs service.....I am paying $74.00 for my service. That is just wrong of Hughesnet on so many levels.

Re: What drugs are you on?

Just remember, we have 2-3 times more allowance than he does, sure he has top speeds, but, well, his allowance will get him in the end.

@direcway.com
Dish didn't buy HN, it was Echostar that did, two entirely different companies... Other than the name Echostar on the equipment, and CEO, they have nothing else between them. Echostar is more of a provider to dish than anything, dish has no say-so over Hughes nor Echostar, nor does Echostar have any say over Dish in the end, but Echostar does have say over Hughes.

Review by dwsilver See Profile

• Location: Perkins,Payne,OK
Bad "Beware! Do not give them a credit card #"
Overall "You do not want to get involved with this company. It is a fraud."
Mail,DNS,News:

Beware of HughesNet. I fell for their 'totally free for a month's trial' offer. I did not know they had charged my credit card over $200 immediately. Now I am stuck trying to get a refund. First, you will be on hold for around an hour. Then they will tell you that it was a third party that set it up and you have to call them. They will give you what is supposed to be the third party's phone number, but it will be a bogus number. I know this because I spent a second hour on hold and was given a different number to call--also a bogus number. The third time I called, and waited another half hour, I was told they would transfer me to the department that could process the refund. She said please hold while i transfer you, and then hung up. They may be fast, but you really end up paying for their false advertising.

Comments:

Lamp

@mycingular.net

Hughes net trickery

»www.midlandsconnect.com/m/news/s···JICS3NFo

• Location: Rochester,Strafford,NH
Bad "price, tech support, speed, frequent loss of connection, difficulty ending service"
Overall "beware of this company"
Mail,DNS,News:

HughesNet satellite broadband cost me over $80/month and never worked properly. It was slow and frequently lost connection. The solution from tech services was to connect my laptop to the modem to change the standard channel. This got to be a daily ritual. When I finally had enough and changed providers, I spent almost an hour on the phone trying to discontinue service. After finally being successful, I received a subsequent call offering a $35/month discount; made me wonder why I was paying so much more for over 2 years. The ultimate insult was that a box was sent to me so that I could return their equipment. Unfortunately, it required that I climb on the roof and remove the radio from the satellite disk. They indicated that this might be dangerous and that I might want to hire an uninstaller at a couple of hundred dollars. The letter with the box was threatening in tone. "If you fail to return the equipment to us within the specified time, we will charge your account an Unreturned Equipment Fee of $300." Also, "failure to return the modem and radio transmitter to Hughes, or to pay the applicable Unreturned Equipment Fee, may result in serious consequences to you, as Hughes may elect to report this incident to credit reporting agencies and to pursue any available legal remedies." Friendly company! Another protracted phone conversation with them resulted finally, after special offers of $100 and $50 uninstallation fees, and after my threatening to call the Better Business Bureau and my lawyer, with a divorce with no uninstallation fee. Most people that don't have a dogged determination not to get screwed would have given up and paid to have their equipment uninstalled when that is HughesNet's responsibility. Stay clear of dealing with this company.

(review was emailed from domain peoplepc.com)

Comments:

Review by Heh213 See Profile

• Location: New Cuyama,Santa Barbara,CA
Good "Much faster than dial up in areas with otherwise no connection, Always on Connection, FAP is improving somewhat, 5Hour free zone"
Bad "FAP is hard to deal with, latency, expensive."
Overall "Better than nothing, preferable data plan compared to other Sat providers"
Mail,DNS,News:

If you come to HughesNet from a _real_ broadband connection you'll be disappointed. It's not unlimited, the caps are low, and the latency rules out many online activities including most gaming and makes web surfing sluggish in comparison.

Sat is an improvement compared to dial up, the alternative internet solution in most areas where you'd even consider it.

The FAP can be hard to deal with; you have to change your habits drastically. You have to do your best to make sure nothing automatically updates outside of the free period, and otherwise barely use your connection, at least on the lower tier of service.

Web pages might take a bit to show up, but they usually will eventually.

To be honest it's painful, but it's the best you've got.

OK some positives:

It's an always on service, mostly reliable. The connection doesn't drop out completely too frequently.

As painful as it feels going off of faster internet, it'll display a page much faster than dial up would.

The FAP is somewhat improving, making it easier to deal with.

Other Thoughts:

1Mbps plan, 200MB data Daily. (Get faster speeds while downloading usually)

The new Sat they just launched should change things up a bit, but we'll have to see once it's in operation.

UPDATE: Service has gotten even worse than ussual, and the Gen4 plans are terrible and lots of people have had trouble with them.

Exede12 is pretty decent however the caps are still low considering the speed. but it does have a free zone.

Still stuck on my HN9000 sadly.

Comments:

greg

RIP OFF!

Anyone reading this considering getting hughes net DONT!
It only gives you 250mb to download a month but we only get a certain number kb!
It gets all up in your buisness about gaming and the costumer service
HA!
JUST DONT GET HUGHES NET!

compuguybna

Re: RIP OFF!

WRONG!!!!!!

Its 250mb a DAY!!!

said by greg :

Anyone reading this considering getting hughes net DONT!
It gets all up in your buisness about gaming and the costumer service
HA!
JUST DONT GET HUGHES NET!

Tom NC

@direcway.com

RipOffNet (also called Hughesnet)

Had it 2 years it's painful. System crashes, new modems, three service visits and still can't play a game or load a page completely. I just sent a email refusing to pay my bill until this thing works even 50% of the time. I have had bills as high as $190.00. This Jokenet is just that a joke. Stay with dial-up for $14.95/mo. At least you know what your getting.

Liz888

@mycingular.net

SUCKS!!!

We had hughes net before but dish network said it was so much better now. it still sucks as before . it waste of money and time. can't even liaten to music without it buffering . loads pages so slow. FALSE ADVERTISEMENT !!! I'm so calling before 30 days are up !!!

rippedoff

@sbcglobal.net

Re: SUCKS!!!

OK, so your calling to cancel before the time is up.
I hate to tell you but here is where you'll find out about how bad your about to be screwed.
I called and they sent me all new boxes with very well written and clear instructions how to pack the equipment for return. Along with an RMA!

I carefully packed the equipment in the "very nice boxes" as instructed and called them
Soon it was picked up by the shipper and I waited for my money.
When I got the service you had to buy the equipment up front.
About ninety days later I called them and they didn't have a record of me ever being a customer much less the equipment, RMA or anything. So went through hours of phone calls to many people but finally found where the records and started waiting for my money again. About ninety days later I started all over.
After many different numbers I had finally been referred to the original number again and started through the list again. I actually had a running list of numbers they were looping me through.
This time I stayed in contact a couple of times a week instead of letting it drop for ninety days. In about two months UPS showed up at my back door.
They had the boxes of satellite equipment and dropped it off.
Yep they returned the equipment instead of the $600.00 plus they owe me.
When I contacted them they quite firmly told me they don't refund money that I have to get my money from the local dealer who installed my equipment.
I called him and he actually laughed at that idea. I searched all my paper work and found nothing regarding who refunds the money only that if I sent the equipment back in the time limits of the contract I would get a full refund.
After about a year or longer it became quiet clear there is going to be no refund.
I threw in the towel. After all to put in several thousand dollars of work for $600.00 makes no sense.
I moved the boxes to a store room. No not one of those rip off rentals! I noticed the boxes rattled when picked up and moved so I opened them.
Remember I told you I packed the equipment up nice and neat as instructed? Well it came back to me just loosley thrown in the boxes. After the screwing I decided to check things. I opened all the boxes and wrote down the serial numbers. You're going to guess the serial numbers weren't the same as I had originally aren't you?

Hey you win the qupie doll. Not one single serial number matched my records of what I sent back. The only thing I have from the whole rip off is the nice dish. I use it for free to air satellite now. It has better gain than the little eighteen dishes usually used so I get less rain fade.
I hope you get your money back but don't go spend it until you have cashed the check!
The Federal Trade Commission should get down these jerks throat and rip our their hearts.

Review by Cybercycle See Profile

• Location: united state
Good "Better than nothing"
Bad "Expensive, unreliable equipment and service"
Overall "Would not use this service if there was any other choice"
Mail,DNS,News:

I am on the HughesNet Pro+ package (HN9000) that is very expensive for a relatively slow connection measured against a limited daily allowance as defined by their FAP policy. Tech support is horrible with respect to offshore agents that do not understand or speak English…troubleshooting is not effective as all the tier 1 agents I have encountered read scripts without any understanding of my issues, and this often leads to long hold times or hang-ups without any solutions to the problem. My equipment was installed in 2008 and is now obsolete per Hughenet. So, when I had an equipment failure, they would not offer a repair solution, but instead wanted me to upgrade to their Gen4 system! I found a source for the broken hardware and repaired it myself. I am out of contract and will switch to another provider as soon as one becomes available in my area.

Comments:

Review by nasfan24 See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,Dorchester,MD
Good "Realiable, fast compared to the options available"
Bad "Monthly cost, tech. support (India)"
Overall "Nothing faster or cheaper is available."
Mail,DNS,News:

i placed my order for direcway on a Thurs. evening online. i was called by the installer that same night to schedule the install. the installer arrived right on time, this was Tue. installation took about 3 hours. i have a roof mount. installer grounded my dish, and took time to show me the basics. i was up and running although slow. after taking the time to review post and tips at broadband reports my speed increased greatly. for me dial up is the only option, so satellite is great. i have only been out of service once during hurricane Isabel. i do not do any gaming, mostly surfing websites. all feedback suggest that it is not good for gaming. i have not had a problem going to secure sites either. my credit card, cell phone, ect.i do a lot of IM with aol and no problems. i find direcway to be a great system.

update------
i continue to be pleased with my direcway dw6000. it is very reliable for me. outages are rare. as discussed in the forum i have experienced a signal drop after a direcway update. although i have not experienced any problems with that loss of signal yet. there is still no other option for me except dial up. i would recommend

this system to anyone without any other choice other than dial up. you should expect to have to tweak your system to get the maximum benefit.all the help you need can be found here at broadband reports

update------

I am currently out of contract with Direcway. I continue to be pleased with my system performance. I have had very few outages that are not weather related. I current have these speeds as my average around 896 down and 52 up. Very pleased. I use only 1 tweak and that is TCP Optimizer. I was originally placed on Satmex5, I have been changed to Horizons1 for about 2 -3 months now. . Yes it was due to slow speed for about 1 month. I was able to get Direcway to correct the issue with a sat change. That was a smooth transition. My original installer was the one who came out to change my bird. I do believe that Direcway is oversold. For me I am still satisfied with my DW6000 performance.

update---
I continue to be a happy Direcway customer. I have not had to call for support many times. When I have it was terrible. I had a hard time understanding the person on the other end. Speed is still fair. I have a DW6000 on the consumer account.

Download 30 Day Stats (Overall Average = 734 Kbps :: 90 KB/sec)
Upload 30 Day Stats (Overall Average = 43 Kbps :: 5 KB/sec)

I know not real great. I am happy with it though. I guess I am one of the lucky ones who have not had to deal with Direcway much. Although Wildblue is available to me I am going to stay with Direcway for now. Don't get me wrong if FIOS was to come my way I will jump on it in a heart beat. I have heard that a cable company called Bay Country Communications will be putting wireless internet to my area by the end of July. I will be checking it out to see if it is worth the jump.

Update 08-13-07

I continue to be happy with my DW6000. I have not taken the plunge to the DW7000 modem yet. I just can't justify the benefits at this time. System runs smooth 98% of the time. The remaining 2% is weather related.

Update 09-05-08

Well I am now using the HN7000S and I changed my plan to the Pro plan. I have better downloads and uploads then before. Heck it should be right. I am still happy with my HughesNet system. I did have speed issues recently. I got switched to a new transponder and it made a world of difference.

Update 9-22-09

I continue to be very pleased with my HughesNet system. I continue to get good download speeds and the upload isn't bad. I continue to only have Satellite, wireless or dial-up Internet available to me at my location. The wireless company is not very good at keeping their word, so I will not be going with them. I told them months ago, »www.delmarvawifi.com/ , that I would go with their service. I have not heard back from them since. I have also been in contact with a customer of theirs and they are very disappointed. They are now awaiting the installation of Wildblue.

Anyway. if you only have HughesNet available, I say go for it. You may have to go through some tough times if you get on a bad bird or transponder. However you can get changed if you need to. You will need to document everything.

11-5-12 Update

I have upgraded my system to the HT1000 system. So far I am happy with it. The speeds seem to be better so far. Lets see how things go after it all settles down.

12-22-12 Update

I continue to be happy with my new Gen4 system. There was a time where my speeds dropped pretty bad shortly after the install. I was considering canceling the service. But since I upgraded there was no 30 day grace period to cancel. Here are some recent speed test I did. Of course they have to be done on the HughesNet speed test site so take the numbers with a grain of salt.

Forgot to post my latest speed test.

Date/Time Down(kbps) Up(kbps)
12/19/2012 18:10:28 6365 761
12/19/2012 18:09:45 9173 884
12/19/2012 18:08:53 2580 901
12/19/2012 14:08:51 7750 929

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Inaccurate statement.

You required an SLA or guarantee of speeds for your connection which we were not able to provide over a wireless connection. This had nothing to do with "keeping our word" and you should remove references to that from your review. This is a review for Hughes not Delmarva WiFi.

Review by cathyrwilburn

• Location: Oxford,Lafayette,MS

I would advise against Hughes Net! The service was not connected properly to start with. When we swithced to another service we discovered this was part of why the internet didin't work most of the time. Connection Reliability is horrible. Pricing is outrageous. Customer service is the worst!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by Tweakbl See Profile

• Location: Rosedale,Gilmer,WV
Good "The Speed,Faster then Dialup,slower then Copper/Fiber"
Bad "Their service,you got to keep after them to get something done."
Overall "If Dial up is your only option Hughesnet is the best provider."

*****Updated - 12/11/2012*****

Updating my Review. Not to much has changed. Hughes has moved some Support personnel to the U.S.A. which is a good thing. However they still have support over seas. (Understand to that Hughesnet is Global and employ tons of folks from MANY different countries.) Indeed some of the most Brilliant Technicians are Employed by Hughesnet.

Gen4 has been released. Which promises faster speeds. However you will not have Freetime (2am to 7am) like you would on the Older Plans.You may wanna do as much research and educate yourself, before you leap. (like with anything)
Instead Hughesnet is rolling with a 10 Gig during Daylight (Anytime) 10 Gig during Nightime (Bonusbytes) type plan. OR a 10x2=20gig type plan. (Some plans are different on Total Bucket size.15x2 or 20x2 for example)
Gen4 promises to bring faster speeds. And indeed it is faster.

Most of my problems have been addressed with Hughesnet as far as Tokens and a Download meter are concerned,which is a more recent service that they now offer.

Also of issue is Field service installers that do less then what Hughesnet wants them to do in regards to Hooking you up,Improper grounding and such.

Service department has improved a little...maybe the practice of speaking english has helped them.
I was away for about a year and basically forfeited my contract.$250 later for early termination,I am back and hooked up on the 7000's system via the Obama stimulus plan.No 9000 for me,but the 7000's seems to get it all done just as good.

Tokens are now available and are purchasable for those that FAP out (Yeah it stand for Fair Access Policy or F.A.P.) This is Mega handy.
They now have a Download manager available for the limitations of Hughesnet.
They now have a usage meter to for you to avoid the FAP.

Its still NOT DSL over landline,the limitations are still there,(Latency and Usage Limits),but it is a bit more tolerable with the proper tools and knowledge.
You CAN play World Of Warcraft on this connection but the latency is up and down alot.
You will NOT Youtube or watch your Porn (Just to put it out there) with it without problems.Not a media streaming connection by any means until 2am to 7 am for the free period.

You have to be smart and plan your downloads accordingly,as it is a shared connection,more so then a land based type of connection.

If your interested in Hughesnet. You can go over here and talk at the folks in this forum to help get you started. »community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics

Also hit up the forum here for questions and answers. »HughesNet Satellite

Comments:

j hughes

terrible hughesnet service

I completely agree with the negative comments about Hughes net satellite service. I have been a customer for the past 3 yrs and my service has never been what it was advertised to be. They claim download and upload speeds that dont even come close to what they charge you for. In fact, I received a letter in the mail about a class-action lawsuit over the very same issue. I am switching to Exceed soon and I will do 4 speed tests from different providers to verify their speed. If it isn't what they claim it is, they will pack up their junk and get if off my property. Hughes net has burned me good and I am no longer a fool to claims on internet speeds. If you need customer service, good luck with that as well. You will need a translator to understand the foreign accent their technicians speak with. I not asking for the full download or upload speeds, but I will not settle for any less than 70% of what Exceed claims to offer. Whatever you do, do not get Hughes Net Satellite service for any reason. You will be much better off with dial up service because that is the speed you will probably get and the price will be far more reasonable.