HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by Chadwi See Profile

• Location: Mount Pleasant,Titus,TX
Good "Increased speed from old system, install was timely, tools to help get the most out of your alloted amount of data"
Bad "Ping rate, expence"
Overall "If you are in a rural area with limited options, Gen4 by Hughesnet is solid choice."
Mail,DNS,News:

I have been a Hughes net customer since May of 2010. I started with the older satellite system with max download speed of 1.5mbps .5mbps. Dur ring off peak hours I would get .75 to 1mbps on a good day. Durring peak hours I was lucky to exceed dial up speeds. I had not planned to renew my contract once my two years was fulfilled. I was holding out for the off chance that 4g LTE would be available in my rural part of East Texas. I kept checking with Verizon on when they were planning to flip the switch. They finally did in Dec. 2012. I bought a 4g mifi device and headed home to find out.... the 4g signal dropped of 1 block from my house. The 3g signal was a weak 2 bars and achieved 150kbps. I decided I would go ahead and check out Gen4 with Hughes net since Verizon let me out of my contract since no service (thanks Verizon that was classy!).

New satellite was installed on the day promised, system was up and running in no time. The first day I saw only small increase in overall speed 2.5mbps, and tech that installed said this would be the case until satellite updated and all packets were downloaded?? I have no had Gen4 for 36 days and it is running very well. I average 9.5mbps on off peak times and 4-6mbps durring peak hours. The ping rate is still slow compared to standard cable, DSL, cellular or fiber optic systems, but it is a much better browsing experience than what I had. I streamed my first movie ever and had no buffering once the download began. I am happy with my choice to re up with Hughesnet until something better is available!

Comments:

Review by shawnbb See Profile

• Location: Bartlesville,Washington,OK
Good "it is something"
Bad "everything else"
Overall "no other choice... only then"
Mail,DNS,News:

I had this service. It was ALOT of work to even get working, it was over priced, I had to pay extra for installation. ANY weather at all = no service. Ping; 1.5k, Downloads bursty= not good AT ALL for any Online gaming.

FOREIGN CUSTOMER SERVICE/ TECH SUPPORT? YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! No.. Im not kidding.

Only way I got out of this contract was adding it to my bankruptcy claim; the satellite still decorates my rooftop. A reminder that hughesnet=FAIL.

Never tried gen4, but them needing a commercial to talk them up tells me something= if they need a commercial to talk them up, they are worthless.

member for 2 years, 0 visits, last login: 2 years ago

Comments:

kingtucky

Worthless!

What a joke this service is. I can't wait till the day my contract ends, at which point I will rip the freakin satellite off my house and set it on fire with a Youtube recording for the viewing pleasure of the Hughes Net people. Downloads are slow, and you have "unlimited downloads" only from 11pm-4am. If you watch two 5 minute videos at any other time, and you essentially get punished for using too much download space. If you get "frapped", you have to buy tokens to restore your download, or wait 24 hours for it to restore. If you are super conservative and never actually enjoy your internet, you get a "free" token a month to use in case of getting frapped. If you happen to mysteriously get frapped one morning, you have to call an outsourced hotline at which point you will speak with someone thats somewhere in South Asia. They will inevitably tell you that you exceeded your download allowance, despite the fact you specifically made sure to use high traffic applications like Youtube during the 11pm-4am time period. When you ask for a specific date and time at which your system overloaded, you will be promptly hassled and not given an answer to your question besides "sometime between 10-11pm". You will haggle with the service agent until they get in trouble for taking 5 minutes on an individual call and you will finally get your download back. And you pay $80 minimum for this overwhelming joy of an internet service! If you can, buy a cable bundle and forget you even thought about Hughes Net at all.

Review by nodachi See Profile

• Location: Penhold,AB
Good "at least it is not Explornet."
Bad "DNS never works"
Overall "IT SUCKS!!"
Mail,DNS,News:

Tried Explornet first it was just as bad. (Ripped me off for $578 wile saying they were unable to serve.) Then I ordered 150 connection from Hughes net 28 months ago. they took 2 months to find a techy in my area and he had no clue as it was his first install. Got a HN9000. Techy informed me the best they were going to give me was a 128 connection for $65/month. It was ok at first. Consistently got my 128 I had been promised for about 6 months. (I am always careful not to go over my limit.) Then slowly slower and slower it got. Accelerator Error Page more and more often. Now DNS fails ever second link you click. Support call after support call (even a new HN9000) till now it is just painful to even read this forum. Since the Gen4 thing I can not even get tech support as all they do is nag me to take a new 2 year contract.

Comments:

Review by sreilly24590 See Profile

• Location: Scottsville,Albemarle,VA
Good "Sometimes better than dialup"
Bad "Poor tech support, high cost, lousy speeds regardless of modem or plan"
Overall "Try anything else if available"
Mail,DNS,News:

I've been using Direcway now Hughes for almost 6 years and have upgraded modems over that time. Service was good at first but speeds have slowed to almost dialup for the past 6 months. Upgraded to the HNS7000 modem as well as plan and was told to expect better performance. The net result has been higher cost and slower speeds. Tech support is over seas and seems mostly scripted. Problems are the same with each call and redundant answers not resulting in any improvement. Due to contract terms, you can get locked into a nightmare without any recourse. If you really need high speed and can't get anything else, beware. It may run fine for some time but the overall experience I've had is terrible. I guess the catch phrase is "speeds up to" which can be 1 kbps to, in my case 1.5 mbps, which I have never seen. Best performace was when I had the old two way modems but that was long ago. I'm sorry to say that this is a poor service and I can't wait till Broadband over Powerlines comes to my neck of the woods.

After 10 years of waiting we finally got DSL from Centurylink, was Sprint, and at a fraction of the cost. Faster speeds greater bandwidth, varying results. Seems we need to reboot the modem from time to time to get our speeds back. Cost wise I'm saving money for a change. Anytime you can save 50-60$ a month and get better service it's a plus. A big thanks to Centurylink for working hard to serve this small switch and getting us the DSL we've been waiting for for so long.

Comments:

scottymead

Speed

I must be the only one with really good speed, for example.. Yesterday evening I downloaded Windows 8 from Microsoft.com and its a 2gb download and it only took 25 minutes.

Sorry to hear that you and others dont have same quality of service.
mbslk32

join:2013-02-13
San Andreas, CA

Re: Speed

you must be living in the city

Elvira

@sbcglobal.net

down line

Since the small rural areas use the same lines you might want to ask Alamede where the line is down. They told the customers they will not fix the downed line. So beware there are downed lines that are not being fixed because they do not have repairmen to fix them. I hope that helps you out

Review by Hughessuck01 See Profile

• Location: Garden Valley,El Dorado,CA
Bad "GARBAGE DONT GET IT GEN 4 CAUTION SCAM"
Mail,DNS,News:

This company is the worst get dial up its way faster than Gen 4. Sales people lied about everything. This Gen 4 hughs stuff is the worst so slow wont do anything the said. If your in your 30 days cancel asap what a joke. Liers all of them service is the worst!

member for 2 years, 0 visits, last login: 2 years ago

Comments:

Review by Piggie See Profile

• Location: Fort Mc Coy,Marion,FL
Good "Few any more"
Bad "FAP lasts 24 hours if you exceed your bucket"
Overall "This is currently the last resort of even the satellite companies. For some with their new policy, dial up still works as good."
Mail,DNS,News:

I just left Hughes.net today, Nov 30, 2006 for Windstream DSL.
I would suggest to anyone satellite that only has an option of slow dialup, in the 28.8 range. Anyone on fast dialup I am not sure what to tell you to do.

The three things I will not miss about Hughes.net.
1) FAP and Latency
2) Customer Service, equalled only by HP as the worst it can be then some, awful.
3) The price. I went from $70/month for Pro to $30/month for 3mbps DSL on Windstream.

Update May 2007 after the new FAP policy.

If I were you on a modem that could hit 43K or so, stay with that.
Their FAP policy is now totally user abusive. 24 hours of no internet if you exceed your allotment. Way way too big a penalty to be put on a user.
Their customer service continues to get worse, reading the forum since I left Hughes.

Now with the new FAP, the $60 account is about worthless. You need to consider a bigger account and if you can afford it, get the 1.2M dish and a business account.

Hughes is now so bad, it should be considered the worst ISP in the United States.

This is not only because of the new FAP, but when they changed it, they didn't inform one single user to be careful because after a 1/3 of your allotment you will be penalized with lower refill rates, nor did they tell people they were going to get 24 hours without internet until it happened to them.

Horrible way to run your customer service , just terrible.

Last thought. Had I still been on Hughes, when this new FAP started, I would have gone back to a second phone line and dialup, I kid you not.

Comments:

Sidney

@windstream.net

Hughes net in 2013

It looks like most of these comments are from 2007-08. We also previously had Hughes net at about that time and they were horrible! We now have Windstream -- the worst of the worst ever. We are getting kilobyte downloads and uploads. We've been knocked off the net 100 times in 2 weeks. We've filed a complaint with the FCC and the state PRC and discovered they have no power over ISPs for consumers -- there are NO regs for ISPs for consumers. Have been working with our Senator here in NM for over a year and making slow headway. The last communication from Windstream even suggested we look into satellite --the one with which they are connected -- Dish network.
Please let me know what Hughes is like now in January 2013. Thanks a bunch!

Piggie
I Actually use Windstream
join:2005-11-23
Orange Springs, FL

Re: Hughes net in 2013

No idea, I left them in 2006. Windstream here isn't totally as bad as many places. I get .8 to 1.5 M at night on a 3m service. Still that is better than being on satellite.

dixieland

@direcway.com
i have considered upgrading to Gen. 4 , at the moment we have the cheap hughesnet package. if we try to watch 3 u tube videos in an afternoon we loose half our download speed. not sure what to do .

Jasmin Mendo

@direcway.com
I just had the satellite set up today and only 10 mins after. i couldn't get online, the basic service is only up to 989 kbps..so slow i cant even post this comment without any interruptions. the basic plan is 39.99 plus 9 rental fee..i think this company is a ripped off and have a worse customer service. every time i call, i'm on hold for 20-30 mins!!

rockyhorses3

@direcway.com
Just a reply about Hughes net. It's Jan. 2013 and Hughes hasn't improved at all from what I'm reading. I don't know technical talk, just that I keep getting messages on my computer about lost satellite signals, and no internet connection, even tho it says I do. Calling customer support is nothing but a bunch of apologies and suggestions to turn off the modem and restart, which I've done several times. I can't wait until my contract is up!!

Chi sha

@knology.net

worst service ever experienced

July 2012 when I got the service they said you can try for free if you don't like it you will get the full refund . Dial up is better than this, I called after two weeks,cancelled the service , ask for refund ,they told me to wait two weeks , I mailed all their equipment but never received the money back lost $400.00.

Kitykat70

@getty.edu

Run as fast as you can

This is horrible servivce.. Not only was I told "guarentted that I would get a min of 5MPS and 1mps upload. My bank was debited $160 without my persmission. I authoriezed a one time fee of $40 at time of set up but never authorized my acct to be auto deducted for any other charges monthly or otherwise. I even verified with sales person that this was a one time deduction and that I would be billed later.. A week into the service I decided to cancel I was informed by the manager VIctor that he was not going to give me a refund even thought they fraudulently took money from my acct he was refusing to give me a full refund. Now I am out $190 for Shitty service that I had for literaly 7 days and am getting ready to head to there legal dept.
DO NOT USE THEM THEY WILL SCREW YOU OUT OF MONEY AND OFFER YOU BAD SERVICE
and they have the nerve to ask you if you want an upgrade ..

Review by scottymead See Profile

• Location: Post Falls,Kootenai,ID
Good "EVERYTHING"
Bad "NOTHING"
Overall "LOVE IT"
Mail,DNS,News:
(ratings well above consensus)

Little as people know, Dish Network bought Hughes Net, launched a new satellite and its better then its ever been, I love dishNET/Hughes Net!! Way better then Time Warner or Frontier.... $39.99/month

member for 7.5 years, 2507 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
silbaco
join:2009-08-03
USA

Uh....

This is a joke... right? Firstly, you are paying $49.99 per month. There is an equipment rental. Secondly.. you have a tiny usage cap with high latency, making gaming, Netflix, and downloading large files impossible. 5GB a month, 5GB night usage. You could download more than that on Time Warner in a few hours.

Re: Uh....

nope, paying $39.99 because I have Dish Network TV service. I don't seem to have any cap on my account.
Current Usage
Anytime: Usage Is Unlimited
Off-Peak (2am - 8am): Usage Is Unlimited At This Time

I live in a rural area, Time Warner (Roadrunner) is available , ive had it... However every hour or so it would disconnect, modem would reboot. I however don't play games, watch netflix or download large files, the most I do is watch YouTube and its fast to me.

Im happy with the speed according to the speed test...

Download: 15.35 Mbps
Upload: 2.56 Mbps

Re: Uh....

Yea... You know the whole anytime unlimited is only for, at most, a month, right? Also, bonus bytes will be active soon, so say bye bye downloading. You are one of the very lucky few that see 15Mbps, I am supposed to be around 10Mbps and rarely see above 2Mbps down... Kinda makes me wanna go back to the 9000 unit sometimes.
silbaco
join:2009-08-03
USA
You didn't read your fine print then. $39.99 + $10 equipment rental.

"All plans require 24-month Agreement and $10/mo. equipment lease fee."

BTW, the Unlimited it going to be gone very soon. Then you will have 5GB Anytime, 5GB Bonus. That's going to suck.

Re: Uh....

well according to my bill im being credited the 10 dollar equipment rental. dishNET Bundle -10.00 (Modem/TRIA Lease) Unlimited or not, I dont even use 5GB a month anyways, well not with a 20 month old and a 2 month old. My time spent online is between the hours of 2 and 5 so 5GB is plenty
mbslk32

join:2013-02-13
San Andreas, CA
you must be paid big by Dish Network and Hughes.net? your statement that you wrote here is a BIG freaking LIE!
waytim

join:2011-12-01
Sterling, MI

Really?

Ok, how much did they pay you?? "Better than nothing" is the only positive thing that can be said about this service.

Re: Really?

$39.99

Re: Really?

Opps sorry, they didnt pay me anything except a good friend of mine who installs Dish Network here in North Idaho installed my service and im pleased with it.
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

What drugs are you on?

I'd go with dial-up before i would deal with those Hughes scam artists.One of them days you will find out too.How can you even attempt to say they are better than Time Warner or Frontier with LOW caps/slow speeds/High price for what you get.Think again

Re: What drugs are you on?

Dish Network bought out Hughes Net. I pay less then I did with Time Warner and Frontier..

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV

Re: What drugs are you on?

Pole mount in a Cemented bucket?
One Bump and the entire thing will be out.
Also FCC regs require 5 foot clearance.
Not busting your Chops at all but I have had my share of go arounds with folks over subpar installs. Bad Grounds corners being cut. Drunk installers.
The Pole is one that does happen to.
If Dish is allowing that, and Hughesnet is signing off on it.
The Forums will see a upsurge in folks needing assistance.
Glad you like it, although if it was me, I would exhaust all my sources on the land based lines. Everything from new Modems to rewiring the Grey box for the phone lines. Bad wire (in the home) is usually the trouble, if your neighbors have good service.

The reason folks will think your a "plant' here is the 100% rating.
Which if your not, and you really do not appear to be I would say you are fairly new to Hughes and just had it installed. And have never had to call in yet. Or ran into any issue that gets others all worked up.

$39.00 for the 15 Megs service.....I am paying $74.00 for my service. That is just wrong of Hughesnet on so many levels.

Re: What drugs are you on?

Just remember, we have 2-3 times more allowance than he does, sure he has top speeds, but, well, his allowance will get him in the end.

@direcway.com
Dish didn't buy HN, it was Echostar that did, two entirely different companies... Other than the name Echostar on the equipment, and CEO, they have nothing else between them. Echostar is more of a provider to dish than anything, dish has no say-so over Hughes nor Echostar, nor does Echostar have any say over Dish in the end, but Echostar does have say over Hughes.

Review by dwsilver See Profile

• Location: Perkins,Payne,OK
Bad "Beware! Do not give them a credit card #"
Overall "You do not want to get involved with this company. It is a fraud."
Mail,DNS,News:

Beware of HughesNet. I fell for their 'totally free for a month's trial' offer. I did not know they had charged my credit card over $200 immediately. Now I am stuck trying to get a refund. First, you will be on hold for around an hour. Then they will tell you that it was a third party that set it up and you have to call them. They will give you what is supposed to be the third party's phone number, but it will be a bogus number. I know this because I spent a second hour on hold and was given a different number to call--also a bogus number. The third time I called, and waited another half hour, I was told they would transfer me to the department that could process the refund. She said please hold while i transfer you, and then hung up. They may be fast, but you really end up paying for their false advertising.

Comments:

Lamp

@mycingular.net

Hughes net trickery

»www.midlandsconnect.com/m/news/s···JICS3NFo

• Location: Rochester,Strafford,NH
Bad "price, tech support, speed, frequent loss of connection, difficulty ending service"
Overall "beware of this company"
Mail,DNS,News:

HughesNet satellite broadband cost me over $80/month and never worked properly. It was slow and frequently lost connection. The solution from tech services was to connect my laptop to the modem to change the standard channel. This got to be a daily ritual. When I finally had enough and changed providers, I spent almost an hour on the phone trying to discontinue service. After finally being successful, I received a subsequent call offering a $35/month discount; made me wonder why I was paying so much more for over 2 years. The ultimate insult was that a box was sent to me so that I could return their equipment. Unfortunately, it required that I climb on the roof and remove the radio from the satellite disk. They indicated that this might be dangerous and that I might want to hire an uninstaller at a couple of hundred dollars. The letter with the box was threatening in tone. "If you fail to return the equipment to us within the specified time, we will charge your account an Unreturned Equipment Fee of $300." Also, "failure to return the modem and radio transmitter to Hughes, or to pay the applicable Unreturned Equipment Fee, may result in serious consequences to you, as Hughes may elect to report this incident to credit reporting agencies and to pursue any available legal remedies." Friendly company! Another protracted phone conversation with them resulted finally, after special offers of $100 and $50 uninstallation fees, and after my threatening to call the Better Business Bureau and my lawyer, with a divorce with no uninstallation fee. Most people that don't have a dogged determination not to get screwed would have given up and paid to have their equipment uninstalled when that is HughesNet's responsibility. Stay clear of dealing with this company.

(review was emailed from domain peoplepc.com)

Comments:

Review by Heh213 See Profile

• Location: New Cuyama,Santa Barbara,CA
Good "Much faster than dial up in areas with otherwise no connection, Always on Connection, FAP is improving somewhat, 5Hour free zone"
Bad "FAP is hard to deal with, latency, expensive."
Overall "Better than nothing, preferable data plan compared to other Sat providers"
Mail,DNS,News:

If you come to HughesNet from a _real_ broadband connection you'll be disappointed. It's not unlimited, the caps are low, and the latency rules out many online activities including most gaming and makes web surfing sluggish in comparison.

Sat is an improvement compared to dial up, the alternative internet solution in most areas where you'd even consider it.

The FAP can be hard to deal with; you have to change your habits drastically. You have to do your best to make sure nothing automatically updates outside of the free period, and otherwise barely use your connection, at least on the lower tier of service.

Web pages might take a bit to show up, but they usually will eventually.

To be honest it's painful, but it's the best you've got.

OK some positives:

It's an always on service, mostly reliable. The connection doesn't drop out completely too frequently.

As painful as it feels going off of faster internet, it'll display a page much faster than dial up would.

The FAP is somewhat improving, making it easier to deal with.

Other Thoughts:

1Mbps plan, 200MB data Daily. (Get faster speeds while downloading usually)

The new Sat they just launched should change things up a bit, but we'll have to see once it's in operation.

UPDATE: Service has gotten even worse than ussual, and the Gen4 plans are terrible and lots of people have had trouble with them.

Exede12 is pretty decent however the caps are still low considering the speed. but it does have a free zone.

Still stuck on my HN9000 sadly.

Comments:

greg

RIP OFF!

Anyone reading this considering getting hughes net DONT!
It only gives you 250mb to download a month but we only get a certain number kb!
It gets all up in your buisness about gaming and the costumer service
HA!
JUST DONT GET HUGHES NET!

compuguybna

Re: RIP OFF!

WRONG!!!!!!

Its 250mb a DAY!!!

said by greg :

Anyone reading this considering getting hughes net DONT!
It gets all up in your buisness about gaming and the costumer service
HA!
JUST DONT GET HUGHES NET!

Tom NC

@direcway.com

RipOffNet (also called Hughesnet)

Had it 2 years it's painful. System crashes, new modems, three service visits and still can't play a game or load a page completely. I just sent a email refusing to pay my bill until this thing works even 50% of the time. I have had bills as high as $190.00. This Jokenet is just that a joke. Stay with dial-up for $14.95/mo. At least you know what your getting.

Liz888

@mycingular.net

SUCKS!!!

We had hughes net before but dish network said it was so much better now. it still sucks as before . it waste of money and time. can't even liaten to music without it buffering . loads pages so slow. FALSE ADVERTISEMENT !!! I'm so calling before 30 days are up !!!

rippedoff

@sbcglobal.net

Re: SUCKS!!!

OK, so your calling to cancel before the time is up.
I hate to tell you but here is where you'll find out about how bad your about to be screwed.
I called and they sent me all new boxes with very well written and clear instructions how to pack the equipment for return. Along with an RMA!

I carefully packed the equipment in the "very nice boxes" as instructed and called them
Soon it was picked up by the shipper and I waited for my money.
When I got the service you had to buy the equipment up front.
About ninety days later I called them and they didn't have a record of me ever being a customer much less the equipment, RMA or anything. So went through hours of phone calls to many people but finally found where the records and started waiting for my money again. About ninety days later I started all over.
After many different numbers I had finally been referred to the original number again and started through the list again. I actually had a running list of numbers they were looping me through.
This time I stayed in contact a couple of times a week instead of letting it drop for ninety days. In about two months UPS showed up at my back door.
They had the boxes of satellite equipment and dropped it off.
Yep they returned the equipment instead of the $600.00 plus they owe me.
When I contacted them they quite firmly told me they don't refund money that I have to get my money from the local dealer who installed my equipment.
I called him and he actually laughed at that idea. I searched all my paper work and found nothing regarding who refunds the money only that if I sent the equipment back in the time limits of the contract I would get a full refund.
After about a year or longer it became quiet clear there is going to be no refund.
I threw in the towel. After all to put in several thousand dollars of work for $600.00 makes no sense.
I moved the boxes to a store room. No not one of those rip off rentals! I noticed the boxes rattled when picked up and moved so I opened them.
Remember I told you I packed the equipment up nice and neat as instructed? Well it came back to me just loosley thrown in the boxes. After the screwing I decided to check things. I opened all the boxes and wrote down the serial numbers. You're going to guess the serial numbers weren't the same as I had originally aren't you?

Hey you win the qupie doll. Not one single serial number matched my records of what I sent back. The only thing I have from the whole rip off is the nice dish. I use it for free to air satellite now. It has better gain than the little eighteen dishes usually used so I get less rain fade.
I hope you get your money back but don't go spend it until you have cashed the check!
The Federal Trade Commission should get down these jerks throat and rip our their hearts.