HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by Scooberto See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Mail,DNS,News:

Hughesnet is a TOTAL JOKE. They should be sued for false advertisement. The connection is sporadic and slow as Christmas. The customer service is a joke as well. They say the Internet speed was slow because we exceeded data allowance. So why was is slow on the first day of the new billing cycle? Then they say it's my fault for not letting them know they SUCK. Now I'm to pay 236.oo early termination fee.

Comments:

Starr80

@charter.com

Hughes net fraud do not buy

I agree with the comments made except they are not strong enough! When you talk to the Philippine's (and you will) you will wait for long periods and get someone with a tenuous grasp of English who will transfer you to "management" then you will be disconnected to start the process all over again these people are crooks you can sue them in your area by contacting there corporate registered agent in your state,call the state licensing office for that info, its usually an attorney office, sue in small claims and they will loose because there rep will not show up,you win and can use your state rules to hound Hughes net.

Review by ABG444 See Profile

• Location: Cedartown,Polk,GA
Bad "Worst"
Overall "Worst"

BAD COMPANY.

Bottom line: If you can get internet service with anyone else then go with anyone else. Hughes advertises "Broadband Unbound" when in fact you pay for broadband that is Bound and Gagged.

Hughes is absolutely the worst company that we have ever dealt with, bar none. There is no need for Hughes to have a call-in support or customer service because they provide neither support or service. They blame everything on their customer.

These are Hughes traits: slow broadband, unfair Fair Access Policy (FAP), rollover of unused allowance that does NOT roll over, daily allowance that you will learn to not use or else, high cost for low quality, Hughes is not regulated by FCC or anyone else so they do what they want to you, broadband does not work in bad weather, no credit to the customer for down-time due to bad weather, support persons in a third world country that you cannot understand AND MUCH, MUCH MORE BAD STUFF.

Comments:
davidhoffman
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

HUGHESNET

Sorry to read that you got involved with HughesNet. As I am sure you found out by looking at the reviews, satellite ISPs are not highly thought of. If you can terminate the service without penalty there might be some better options. You might want to look at using a cellular service for your ISP. I noticed you are near Cedartown,GA. You might want to explore using Verizon Wireless as an internet service.

Review by AofB See Profile

• Location: Mineral,Louisa,VA
Good "Mostly works"
Bad "Data cap, online support"
Overall "meh"

Order and install went OK in August, 2013.

Started with Power plan: 10/1 Mbps, 10 GB anytime, 10 GB bonus time. $50/month.

Upgraded to Power Pro: 10/2 Mbps, 15/15 GB. $70/month.

Upgraded to Power Max: 15/2 Mbps, 20/20 GB. $130/month.

Since I have a computer, laptop, smartphone, tablet and smart TV all on WiFi, this data cap still hurts. Unfortunately, I live where there is no DSL, FiOS or cable.

Comments:

Denise

HUGHES NET..... JOKE !!!

Hughes net is such a joke, they charge you by the month and then have their Leases Obtained/Expire EVERY HOUR.... with this you loose at least 20 minutes, I have this wrote down for a couple days when it worked and when I lost all internet and when the hours CHANGED FOR LEASES....

This is BS company, when you call them and tell them the problems you are having, one they don't know why the DETAILS are like that, two, how you got there, three, IT IS YOUR COMPUTER.... Well funny on #3 because when I disconnect this garbage from my computer it works like a dream.... ;(

I wrote HUGHES NET an email to the same email that I received my contract this month because I have heard about the problems that people have getting HUGHES NET TO STOP USING YOUR DEBIT CARD, and told them I sent bank same email, which I DID... I let them know that my EXPIRATION DATE has CHANGED and since you will not have that you can't CHARGE MY DEBIT CARD, and if they do charge it, it will be ILLEGAL and they will be responsible for paying it back, telling them that I DO NOT WANT HUGHES NET ANYMORE..... and this month has been worse, won't even let page come up most times, and takes their time getting it up.... HUGHES NET SUCKS......

DoodB

@97.122.240.x

Re: HUGHES NET..... JOKE !!!

everything he says is correct Hughes net is the worst internet around! i have never had a connection last long enough to count anything done on the internet as successful. I think its the worst experience I have ever had with a service.

Stuffy

@69.35.211.x
I feel you Running a monopoly in the country I had soooo many probs they told me Next month I had no bill SMH I got cut off and now they are telling me I owe $176.00 For real unbelievable But it can be recorded where is the 3 recordings in 3 different instances when they told me I had no bill Then when their zone updates and their web updates it takes away from are MG WTF I am so sick and tiered of no unlimited I am not use to this How about launch another or 55,000 satellites to get your family business up and running correctly

Re: HUGHES NET..... JOKE !!!

yeah, they told me that I would have some money taken off of my bill cause I didn't have internet for almost 2 weeks, guess what... $42.99... some government discounted high speed internet.... To me there is so many types of internet we should be getting wifi for cheap now... but as we were told by VERIZON, FRONTIER because we live in rural area we would never be able to get the cheap wifi like the big cities do.... bullshit

mtishalewis

@206.255.248.x
hughes net tricked me, they do all that fastatlking over the phone about your contract on purpose so they can sneak things by you, like that the price goes up after a monthof service, they took money out of my account without permsission and would not refund it, only gave me credit towards next bills(which is not what iw anted i wanted my money), then they send you the box to return eqipment then want youy to go on the roof to remove the satellite , they have lost there minds, now they send me a $700 bill from a collection agency! worst thing ive gotten into

Re: HUGHES NET..... JOKE !!!

fight the debt collector bill for $700, all you really have to do is make them get the bills out and show that you owe that...

Review by SavvyGal See Profile

• Location: Avinger,Cass,TX
Good "I got nothing"
Bad "they have a monopoly"
Overall "dial-up might be better"
Mail,DNS,News:

Problems! DNS lookup error, clouds prevent connection, daily allotment that you get penalized for using most of, CSR doesn't know anything and all problems are someone else's fault.

DNS lookup error... you have to type every website in more than once to go to it after getting the DNS page. This has been a problem for more than 2 years, and customer service still walks you through the same ineffective steps. Then frustration sets in.

You are spoon-fed a percent of your allowance daily, and if you use more than half of that, you don't get the full amount the next day. So basically you are getting about half of what you pay for. It will take you a couple of days (or more) to watch a movie.

The company offers service where no one else is, so they have a monopoly. If you get tired of their abuse and leave, they don't care - someone else will pay them when you stop.

Comments:
jazzel

join:2014-09-18

satellite internet sucks

Yes I had satellite internet for 4 years. ( Yes no cable or dsl) Horrible!! Watch 1 youtube video and they crank you down to dial up speeds!!! I had to lie to them when I switched to that verizon handheld modem. ($80 for 10GB)
I lied saying I was moving to an apartment and couldn't have a dish .. I did this because I knew they would screw me by continuing to Bill me when I quit them.
Expand your moderator at work

Pissed

@70.196.133.x

Hughes net

The worst company ever! They came out and said we had to cut down a tree before he could put the satellite up and left. Said he would return Monday. We cut down the tree and he never returned. We called and called and called. They said we cancelled services. Which we didn't. They said they would send someone else. Two weeks later, get a call. They can't do service in our area. That's funny because the neighbors have Hughes net. You have signs all over our neighborhood. They won't even reimburse the money they were prepaid for services. Worst company ever!!!!

Piles

@174.236.1.x

Re: Hughes net

Worst customer service on face of planet

MonCher

@66.249.83.x

So happy I read the reviews. ...

I thought I had it bad with AT&T DSL. I have problems about every 3 months I have to have a guy come out and re-wire. I've had this service about 18mos and had 4 or 5 guys out to do various repairs (the last time it went down twice in one day!) I can only get the lowest, basic speed in my zip code area but at least I can stream Netflix, Amazon & Hulu Plus. In fact the AT&T peops said I shouldn't be able to stream. Then they said I must have a lot of downloading and I said "No, I can watch the video all the way through --- no pixilation, no chronic downloading."
I was seriously considering getting Hughsnet until I read all the bad reviews. Thank God for reviews! I guess AT&T isn't so bad after all.

Paulakc

@69.35.168.x

Slow and expensive

OMG Hughesnet is the WORST service EVER. We pay triple what we had with our cable company before we moved and are limited on our service. In 2 weeks we used up our usage and now I had to upgrade to more expensive plan with them just to keep family happy. IT IS A SHAME THAT HUGHESNET KNOWS THEY CAN CHARGE AN UNREALISTIC AMOUNT FOR LESS SERVICE just because no one else offers any service in the area. I will pay the $400 dollars to cancel with them in an instant as soon as ATT or Directv offer internet. You would think the government would regulate them, they do everything else.

nadeen

@69.35.160.x

Re: Slow and expensive

direct tv does not have it's own internet provider and so they refer you to hughes net so you can get a $10.00 bundle savings. that's the only reason i got hughes net. been with them 3 months nd about to write corporate because im not paying $400.00 for an early disconnect fee. weather it says it on a contract or not by law you do now have to pay for early disconnect.

nadeen

@69.35.160.x

Re: Slow and expensive

mistake.. last line above i meant to say you do NOT have to pay for early disconnect.

Review by nvr2loud See Profile

• Location: Niagara,Marinette,WI
Good "Only good if you live in the middle of nowhere."
Bad "Long lag time, You only get 5 gig during the day and the rest between 2a.m. and 8a.m."
Overall "Not worth the money..."
Mail,DNS,News:

I got this as a package deal with my satellite tv and was under the idea it was going to be one dish not two. I signed up for the $60 dollar plan which is 15 gig but they didn't tell me it was split 5 gig anytime and 10 gig between 2a.m. and 8a.m. so it makes it hard to stream a movie. The installer shows up in a beat up suv and brings his girlfriend to help who is not licensed to do the work was a hassle to run the wire into the room. They complained that they had to install the dish on a pole and it comes out of their pocket and left a mess and didn't bury the cable to the house stating the satellite tv guy would probably put his there too. He came while they were finishing up and thought they looked shady so he called and did a check on them and was nice enough to clean up their mess.

Comments:

Tim1959

@50.120.88.x

Hughes Net Major Rip Off!

I recently signed up for Hughes Net and found the service slow. I called within the 30 day trial period to cancel. Hughes Net Customer Service offered to extend my trial period by 30 days and to give me their best service for that 30 days to try and convince me to stay with them. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS! I called back after 25 days and told them I wanted to cancel my service because the internet service was still slow and poor. 2 weeks later I noticed a bill on my credit card for $400! I called Hughes Net and asked what this was for and they told me it was a early termination fee. This is down right stealing since they were the ones to extend my trial period which I really didn't want anyway. DO NOT FALL FOR ANY "WE WANT TO KEEP YOU" TALK FROM THESE PEOPLE! THEY ARE NOT HONEST!

honestreview

@69.35.195.x

Hughes Net is a rip off

Your data is limited monthly which is terrible because by playing one online game or if you stream shows your internet is sucked up by the middle of the month and then they try to charge you an extra $10 per gig after that... i call bull. Not to mention how terrible the service is. I don't know if they messed up setting up our satellite or if it's just that bad but with the same router we've had it reaches half the distance through the house and then the fastest download speeds i've ever gotten was 1mb/s and right now i am getting 10kb/s. for those of you who don't know THAT'S 1/100th OF 1mb/s and 1mb is still terrible. Ruined everything for us because we couldn't watch on demand (which requires internet). DO NOT USE THEM

Review by Hufster65 See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "None service sucks tools suck customer service sucks!"
Bad "Horrible rip off!!!"
Overall "Not worth the time or money"
Mail,DNS,News:

Not even close to the speeds they quote you! so angry and such a rip off! I don't expect speeds close to what any Internet service provider quotes you but this is ridiculous. They quoted my 5 Mbps download speeds and the most Ive ever been able to get was 1.6 Mbps. I worked in IT for 10 years designing, implementing, supporting everything networking solutions, storage solutions, security, database solutions for a fortune 50 company that was huge. I called about slow internet speeds and they told me everything was fine and that I was getting good speeds out of their service. They sold me I was getting better than their 5 Mbps download speed and when I measure it I only get max of 1.6 Mbps. I inquired about how they measure your speeds several times and finally got them to commit that they measure the speeds between the satellite dish and the device they provide you with. I ran several tests and the response time and download speeds suck compared to DSL. The tech support person I spoke with kept telling me that I need to remember that the signal is going miles above the earth and that is why the response time (ping times) are so slow. Pinging several sites and downloading files of a given size can provide you with this information and download speeds. The website DSL reports »/tools also has a calculator and speed test which you can use to calculate how long a file should take to download of a given size and tools which will provide you with a more accuarate tool to measure your actual download speeds. I told the rep that I don't care if they have 100Mbps connection between their device and the satellite it doesn't matter if I can't download at the speeds they quoted me. I also added that they are misadvertising what they are providing to customers they are flat out lying about it. So let me ask everyone here. Would you care what the speeds are between their satellite and the device they provide you are if they can't get close to those speeds when you are actually downloading from the internet to your computer? I think they are actually padding the data usage amounts as well. I took their reports from their website tools and put them into a spread sheet and totaled them and it was much less than what they told me I had used. Their solution was to have me upgrade to the next package. I said why would I want to upgrade to the next larger and faster account because that would only compound their ability to rip me off????

If anyone else has had this issue I would love to hear about their experiences......

Comments:

TRACY21525

@69.35.200.x

DO NOT BUY

TO BE SIMPLE AND TO THE POINT, THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENTS LIE TO YOU TO GET YOU TO STAY. THEIR INTERNET SERVICE SUCKS! ITS NOT FOR A FAMILY HOME! FAIR WATNING STAY AWAY!!!
Hufster65

join:2014-07-27
USA
·HughesNet Satell..

Newest Update! Can't even post to their forum!!! ARG!!!

I've been trying to post negative content on their forum every time I try it just keeps prompting me to login and loops over and over again. Convenient? I think not. At first I thought maybe I had to wait a day before I could post. Not the case I've waited 2. It's also funny that their own bandwidth tool on their own website doesn't work and their reports for data consumption is way over exaggerated. I've got about 7 days left until my month is up and I'll be cancelling their service before then.

AGAIN DO NOT PATRONIZE THIS BUSINESS THEY ARE CROOKS!!

I am returned to my old DSL service provider after my 12 year old daughter complained to me over and over again that the Internet was so slow. So I went back to my 1 Mbps connection which is faster than Hughesnet who quoted me 5 Mbps and their tools they used said I was getting 6 Mbps.

I hope other people read this and don't get caught past their 30 days and be locked into their contract. I wasn't born yesterday I've worked in IT for many years and this company is praying on customers who just accept that they are getting what they say you are.

Review by dkim1961 See Profile

• Location: Coalgate,Coal,OK
Good "Good for Country Dwellers"
Bad "VERY VERY expensive"
Overall "If you live in the country, this is your best bet"

·Dish Network
I got the 20 gig per month package with an additional 20 gigs to be used between 2 am and 8 am. This is costing me $150 per month which is auto deducted from my checking. You can log into a website that allows you to keep track of how much data you are using and even gives you a count down till your refill day.

The installer was excellent! Very knowledgeable and even gave me his cell number.

I have had Hughes Net for about 2 months. So far I have not had any problems with the service except during a storm. During the storm I had no internet but the next morning when the storm blew over I had internet again. I am used to Verizon FIOS and compared to them Hughes Net is a little slow. However it is much much much faster than dial up AND I can stream movies. Their customer service is not very knowledgeable and their people are lazy. When my service went out during the storm I called them. They decided to send a tech out to troubleshoot my service. The next day my internet service started working again. I called them back to cancel the service appointment and the lady obviously did not know how to do that. She told me to just let them come out and then tell them my service was working. That seems ridiculous and I told her so. She put me on hold for 5 minutes and said appointment was cancelled. Guess what... the next day the service technician showed up to fix my internet. They are better than dial up but they are very expensive. You have to pay for data I have 20 gigs anytime and an additional 20 gigs from 2 am to 8 am. This costs $150 per month. Yes you did hear that right. So again, if you have any alternatives besides Hughes Net you probably want to go with them. But as a last resort they are passable. Just very expensive!

Comments:

RU SERIOUS

@72.171.24.x

Hughes Net

What a joke...it's been a year now since my kids ordered this crap... So far they changed the dish(putting 6 more holes in my roof) changed the modem, told us we needed a new computer (which of course got purchased). My wife's spent 100s of hours on the phone, their "technician" has been to the house 4 or 5 times, changed the receiver, the wiring, and the modem again..... AND it still works ONCE in a Great While.....BUT THER"S NOTHING WRONG !????? KMA... And of course its a 2 year contract whether it works or NOT... DO NOT... REPEAT.... DO NOT get this no service, service. Sincerely; R U SERIUOS ! The damn thing just went down again while I was in the middle of ........

Review by InfoSeeker5 See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "ZERO"
Bad "Everything slow, expensive, worst customer service"
Overall "Last resort only"
Mail,DNS,News:

Offered GEN4 to new customers at less than half what they forced their current customers to pay.

Installation: Installer put in bedroom, didn't want it there wanted in living room. He said it would be better connection. Told me to go buy Cat6 cables and run it myself from satellite to other side of house. I told him again, put in living room. He didn't do it. 2 1/2 years going back and forth with Hughes, they still won't move the router. Lights blaring no way to suppress.

Speed: Slow slow and more so.

Billing: ONLY can pay bill direct bill AND they get to choose the date they take the money out of account. Can't change date, can't change to pay it yourself online. Pver 100 a month.

WANT TO SWITCH. Begging Verizon to install dsl lines; but too far away to justify the costs................

Comments:

Harold

@24.10.59.x

Internet/phone

Was told many good things about their service. Had ii only 5 hours and found out none of it works as promised. Then cancelled contract and was told I would get back all but $25.00 ($263.93) for handling charges which I didn't like but what the heck. They sent box prepaid except for one it item which I had to ship back at a cost of $13.00. Waited one week after they had received the equipment and called to find out where my refund was at. I guess if it was left to them I would have never seen a dime. So then I was told I would get back $91.00. So I ask what happen to the other almost $200. and was told there was taxes. Wow that much tax huh. Bottom line is they will tell you anything but deliver on nothing. Then lie about everything in between. So after 30 minutes on a cell phone I will end up with $163. and change as there is now it seems a $99.00 non refundable charge. Gee still another new thing to add.. End of story get Comcast ever at sorry as they are, they just cheat you but they don't lie to you.

Pissedoff

@72.171.192.x

Disappointed

Terrible! Called for 2 months complaining it doesn't work. Download speed .086. They just keep blaming my router or smartphone, computers. Told them I wanted to cancel if they won't fix it, they said I was stuck for 2 years. They do not make service calls. You are screwed!

Jjac

@72.171.192.x

Take them to court

Download speed .086. Unusable
They said tough shit I'm in a 2 yr. contract.

david archof

@69.35.200.x

mad

NEVER GET HUGHES NET! It is the worst internet provider I have ever had! First of all, I dont even know when I get more data to use because of how terrible their customer service is, but with my experience, I am pretty sure that I have okay internet speed for all but two weeks of a month and i even have the best plan with the most data you can get. Right now, I am still waiting for the wonderful day when my two year contract runs out and I can lose Hughes net and get a better internet provider that is not a ripoff! PLEASE DO NOT GET HUGHES NET!

K Family

@130.76.96.x

Re: mad

I completely agree - THE WORST ISP I have ever had, including overseas locations where I have lived. If I had an alternative I would gladly cancel and pay the termination fee.

Az Family

@72.168.96.x

Horable Highesnet!!!

Never again! This company is a RIP OFF! They lied about the coverage, the pricing and the terms. Refused to send me copies of documents I was promised. CAN'T WAIT TILL IT ENDS. This is the worst provider ever!!! and I've used Dish, Century Link, and Direct TV. I'm going back to Dish Network

Review by zactech See Profile

• Location: Marlboro,Ulster,NY
Good "worked as advertised at times"
Bad "god awfull level 1 customer service level 2 must be paid for they wanted $99.00 I was able to get one free session."
Overall "jury is still out"
Mail,DNS,News:

Fist month worked as advertised minimal issues.

Second month had to start rebooting the modem every 3 to 24 hours. Started calling tech support after two weeks of this issue they found no issues and assumed it was an issue with my equipment. After two more weeks of this I stared to call any time I had to reboot the modem to document my issues as I suspected an intermittent modem/lns/server issue of some sort.

In my third month of service they finally moved my issue up to level two (level two is a subcontractor they call hometech support), level two call screener bumped me back to level one and they could find any issues once again.

I called again a day later they moved it up to level two but this time they wanted $99.00 bucks to look into the issue with no guarantee of a resolution, I said thanks but no thanks.

I called again for the third time in three days to escalate my issue to level two at no charge after much complaining about these problems to HughesNet on my part. I was able to wrangle a one-time pin number out of HughesNet to be used once with their subcontractor in order to get around their fees. They remoted into my laptop. I noticed that they used »192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/index.cgi?Command=1 when they were trouble shooting my modem. This is an advanced diagnostics screen you will find most help-full for checking your HughesNet modem. The hometechsupport.sutherlandglobal.com phone number is 877-833-1775 and they will diagnose your issues for a fee. Hometechsupport was able to confirm that all my cables/router/switch/computer settings and were correct. The tech at hometechsupport confirmed my suspicion that I was indeed intermittently getting an invalid DNS from the HughesNet server and I would have to pursue the matter further with HughesNet (I am not holding my breath on this based on my previous experiences with them). I will let you know if HughesNet resolve this issue in the future.

Comments:

walt36263

@174.251.98.x

hughes net modem reboot issues

I have seen many complain of the same issue...rebooting modem...this user found issue...dns server overload. Solution is simple....manually change your dns server... 4.2.2.2 is googles dns server...easy to change...
zactech

join:2014-05-26
usa

Re: hughes net modem reboot issues

Thanks Walt I was not aware that one can change their DNS server. I will give it a try.
zactech

join:2014-05-26
usa

Re: hughes net modem reboot issues

I have looked at all the screens I could find in the modem and was unable to find where you adjust the dns server. Does any one know what screen it is on?

Review by Wolfman See Profile

• Location: Transfer,Mercer,PA
Bad "Horrible"
Overall "Don't waste your money"
Mail,DNS,News:

I was limited in internet providers in my area and basically only had the choice of Hughesnet. I was told prior to signing up that I would have 5 gigs of data and 5 gigs of extra data (12am-8am). After I used my allotted amount of data my internet would be "throttled back" but I would not "lose" my ability to access the internet. Well in the five months since I signed up, had the dish installed and started using Hughesnet, I have run out of the 5 gig limit two weeks into each month with nothing more than social media, email and general web surfing. My bill has not been the same from one month to the next varying as much as $10 a month. Customer service talked in circles giving me many reasons why there was such a change from one month to the next in the amount I owed. Once my 5 gigs of data was used up my service was "throttled" back to slower than dial up at 512kbs. Getting online after the service is throttled back is painful and frustrating. I end up using my phone to get online and check email and facebook because even at 3G it is 10x's faster than Hughesnet "throttled" service. Had I known prior to this this that 5 gigs went so fast and their idea of "throttled" back service meant I would sit and wait 5 minutes for a webpage to load, I would have kept using my cell phone and saved the $60 a month. This service reply's on people like me that have no alternative for internet and basically take your money for substandard internet usage. The cost versus the data usage is, in my opinion, a rip off. As soon as I find an alternative I will be stopping service, even if I'm under contract with them. Unless you have no alternative and have no choice, stay as far away from these guys as possible. Very dissatisfied with customer service, internet speeds (even when I have 5 gig's of data available), and super dissatisfied with their "throttled back" speed. I'd rather keep the $60 a month and have no internet than spend the money for nothing.

Comments:

comcastnet

@54.193.213.x

review of reviw

Yikes,
Scared me out of thinking about it after first 3reviews. Bye , bye. No thank you to Hughes .net

lotsaroots

@65.25.119.x

Re: review of reviw

I'm with you! Their card I got in the mail is torn in half, and in the garbage as I speak. NO thank you! Ill stick to Time Warner. At least Ive had no problems with their internet. Ill keep looking tho. I am trying to save money.