HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by SavvyGal See Profile

• Location: Avinger,Cass,TX
Good "I got nothing"
Bad "they have a monopoly"
Overall "dial-up might be better"
Mail,DNS,News:

Problems! DNS lookup error, clouds prevent connection, daily allotment that you get penalized for using most of, CSR doesn't know anything and all problems are someone else's fault.

DNS lookup error... you have to type every website in more than once to go to it after getting the DNS page. This has been a problem for more than 2 years, and customer service still walks you through the same ineffective steps. Then frustration sets in.

You are spoon-fed a percent of your allowance daily, and if you use more than half of that, you don't get the full amount the next day. So basically you are getting about half of what you pay for. It will take you a couple of days (or more) to watch a movie.

The company offers service where no one else is, so they have a monopoly. If you get tired of their abuse and leave, they don't care - someone else will pay them when you stop.

Comments:
jazzel

join:2014-09-18

satellite internet sucks

Yes I had satellite internet for 4 years. ( Yes no cable or dsl) Horrible!! Watch 1 youtube video and they crank you down to dial up speeds!!! I had to lie to them when I switched to that verizon handheld modem. ($80 for 10GB)
I lied saying I was moving to an apartment and couldn't have a dish .. I did this because I knew they would screw me by continuing to Bill me when I quit them.
Expand your moderator at work

Pissed

@70.196.133.x

Hughes net

The worst company ever! They came out and said we had to cut down a tree before he could put the satellite up and left. Said he would return Monday. We cut down the tree and he never returned. We called and called and called. They said we cancelled services. Which we didn't. They said they would send someone else. Two weeks later, get a call. They can't do service in our area. That's funny because the neighbors have Hughes net. You have signs all over our neighborhood. They won't even reimburse the money they were prepaid for services. Worst company ever!!!!

MonCher

@66.249.83.x

So happy I read the reviews. ...

I thought I had it bad with AT&T DSL. I have problems about every 3 months I have to have a guy come out and re-wire. I've had this service about 18mos and had 4 or 5 guys out to do various repairs (the last time it went down twice in one day!) I can only get the lowest, basic speed in my zip code area but at least I can stream Netflix, Amazon & Hulu Plus. In fact the AT&T peops said I shouldn't be able to stream. Then they said I must have a lot of downloading and I said "No, I can watch the video all the way through --- no pixilation, no chronic downloading."
I was seriously considering getting Hughsnet until I read all the bad reviews. Thank God for reviews! I guess AT&T isn't so bad after all.

Paulakc

@69.35.168.x

Slow and expensive

OMG Hughesnet is the WORST service EVER. We pay triple what we had with our cable company before we moved and are limited on our service. In 2 weeks we used up our usage and now I had to upgrade to more expensive plan with them just to keep family happy. IT IS A SHAME THAT HUGHESNET KNOWS THEY CAN CHARGE AN UNREALISTIC AMOUNT FOR LESS SERVICE just because no one else offers any service in the area. I will pay the $400 dollars to cancel with them in an instant as soon as ATT or Directv offer internet. You would think the government would regulate them, they do everything else.

Review by nvr2loud See Profile

• Location: Niagara,Marinette,WI
Good "Only good if you live in the middle of nowhere."
Bad "Long lag time, You only get 5 gig during the day and the rest between 2a.m. and 8a.m."
Overall "Not worth the money..."
Mail,DNS,News:

I got this as a package deal with my satellite tv and was under the idea it was going to be one dish not two. I signed up for the $60 dollar plan which is 15 gig but they didn't tell me it was split 5 gig anytime and 10 gig between 2a.m. and 8a.m. so it makes it hard to stream a movie. The installer shows up in a beat up suv and brings his girlfriend to help who is not licensed to do the work was a hassle to run the wire into the room. They complained that they had to install the dish on a pole and it comes out of their pocket and left a mess and didn't bury the cable to the house stating the satellite tv guy would probably put his there too. He came while they were finishing up and thought they looked shady so he called and did a check on them and was nice enough to clean up their mess.

Comments:

Tim1959

@50.120.88.x

Hughes Net Major Rip Off!

I recently signed up for Hughes Net and found the service slow. I called within the 30 day trial period to cancel. Hughes Net Customer Service offered to extend my trial period by 30 days and to give me their best service for that 30 days to try and convince me to stay with them. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS! I called back after 25 days and told them I wanted to cancel my service because the internet service was still slow and poor. 2 weeks later I noticed a bill on my credit card for $400! I called Hughes Net and asked what this was for and they told me it was a early termination fee. This is down right stealing since they were the ones to extend my trial period which I really didn't want anyway. DO NOT FALL FOR ANY "WE WANT TO KEEP YOU" TALK FROM THESE PEOPLE! THEY ARE NOT HONEST!

honestreview

@69.35.195.x

Hughes Net is a rip off

Your data is limited monthly which is terrible because by playing one online game or if you stream shows your internet is sucked up by the middle of the month and then they try to charge you an extra $10 per gig after that... i call bull. Not to mention how terrible the service is. I don't know if they messed up setting up our satellite or if it's just that bad but with the same router we've had it reaches half the distance through the house and then the fastest download speeds i've ever gotten was 1mb/s and right now i am getting 10kb/s. for those of you who don't know THAT'S 1/100th OF 1mb/s and 1mb is still terrible. Ruined everything for us because we couldn't watch on demand (which requires internet). DO NOT USE THEM

Review by Hufster65 See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "None service sucks tools suck customer service sucks!"
Bad "Horrible rip off!!!"
Overall "Not worth the time or money"
Mail,DNS,News:

Not even close to the speeds they quote you! so angry and such a rip off! I don't expect speeds close to what any Internet service provider quotes you but this is ridiculous. They quoted my 5 Mbps download speeds and the most Ive ever been able to get was 1.6 Mbps. I worked in IT for 10 years designing, implementing, supporting everything networking solutions, storage solutions, security, database solutions for a fortune 50 company that was huge. I called about slow internet speeds and they told me everything was fine and that I was getting good speeds out of their service. They sold me I was getting better than their 5 Mbps download speed and when I measure it I only get max of 1.6 Mbps. I inquired about how they measure your speeds several times and finally got them to commit that they measure the speeds between the satellite dish and the device they provide you with. I ran several tests and the response time and download speeds suck compared to DSL. The tech support person I spoke with kept telling me that I need to remember that the signal is going miles above the earth and that is why the response time (ping times) are so slow. Pinging several sites and downloading files of a given size can provide you with this information and download speeds. The website DSL reports »/tools also has a calculator and speed test which you can use to calculate how long a file should take to download of a given size and tools which will provide you with a more accuarate tool to measure your actual download speeds. I told the rep that I don't care if they have 100Mbps connection between their device and the satellite it doesn't matter if I can't download at the speeds they quoted me. I also added that they are misadvertising what they are providing to customers they are flat out lying about it. So let me ask everyone here. Would you care what the speeds are between their satellite and the device they provide you are if they can't get close to those speeds when you are actually downloading from the internet to your computer? I think they are actually padding the data usage amounts as well. I took their reports from their website tools and put them into a spread sheet and totaled them and it was much less than what they told me I had used. Their solution was to have me upgrade to the next package. I said why would I want to upgrade to the next larger and faster account because that would only compound their ability to rip me off????

If anyone else has had this issue I would love to hear about their experiences......

Comments:

TRACY21525

@69.35.200.x

DO NOT BUY

TO BE SIMPLE AND TO THE POINT, THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENTS LIE TO YOU TO GET YOU TO STAY. THEIR INTERNET SERVICE SUCKS! ITS NOT FOR A FAMILY HOME! FAIR WATNING STAY AWAY!!!
Hufster65

join:2014-07-27
USA
·HughesNet Satell..

Newest Update! Can't even post to their forum!!! ARG!!!

I've been trying to post negative content on their forum every time I try it just keeps prompting me to login and loops over and over again. Convenient? I think not. At first I thought maybe I had to wait a day before I could post. Not the case I've waited 2. It's also funny that their own bandwidth tool on their own website doesn't work and their reports for data consumption is way over exaggerated. I've got about 7 days left until my month is up and I'll be cancelling their service before then.

AGAIN DO NOT PATRONIZE THIS BUSINESS THEY ARE CROOKS!!

I am returned to my old DSL service provider after my 12 year old daughter complained to me over and over again that the Internet was so slow. So I went back to my 1 Mbps connection which is faster than Hughesnet who quoted me 5 Mbps and their tools they used said I was getting 6 Mbps.

I hope other people read this and don't get caught past their 30 days and be locked into their contract. I wasn't born yesterday I've worked in IT for many years and this company is praying on customers who just accept that they are getting what they say you are.

Review by dkim1961 See Profile

• Location: Coalgate,Coal,OK
Good "Good for Country Dwellers"
Bad "VERY VERY expensive"
Overall "If you live in the country, this is your best bet"

·Dish Network
I got the 20 gig per month package with an additional 20 gigs to be used between 2 am and 8 am. This is costing me $150 per month which is auto deducted from my checking. You can log into a website that allows you to keep track of how much data you are using and even gives you a count down till your refill day.

The installer was excellent! Very knowledgeable and even gave me his cell number.

I have had Hughes Net for about 2 months. So far I have not had any problems with the service except during a storm. During the storm I had no internet but the next morning when the storm blew over I had internet again. I am used to Verizon FIOS and compared to them Hughes Net is a little slow. However it is much much much faster than dial up AND I can stream movies. Their customer service is not very knowledgeable and their people are lazy. When my service went out during the storm I called them. They decided to send a tech out to troubleshoot my service. The next day my internet service started working again. I called them back to cancel the service appointment and the lady obviously did not know how to do that. She told me to just let them come out and then tell them my service was working. That seems ridiculous and I told her so. She put me on hold for 5 minutes and said appointment was cancelled. Guess what... the next day the service technician showed up to fix my internet. They are better than dial up but they are very expensive. You have to pay for data I have 20 gigs anytime and an additional 20 gigs from 2 am to 8 am. This costs $150 per month. Yes you did hear that right. So again, if you have any alternatives besides Hughes Net you probably want to go with them. But as a last resort they are passable. Just very expensive!

Comments:

RU SERIOUS

@72.171.24.x

Hughes Net

What a joke...it's been a year now since my kids ordered this crap... So far they changed the dish(putting 6 more holes in my roof) changed the modem, told us we needed a new computer (which of course got purchased). My wife's spent 100s of hours on the phone, their "technician" has been to the house 4 or 5 times, changed the receiver, the wiring, and the modem again..... AND it still works ONCE in a Great While.....BUT THER"S NOTHING WRONG !????? KMA... And of course its a 2 year contract whether it works or NOT... DO NOT... REPEAT.... DO NOT get this no service, service. Sincerely; R U SERIUOS ! The damn thing just went down again while I was in the middle of ........

Review by InfoSeeker5 See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "ZERO"
Bad "Everything slow, expensive, worst customer service"
Overall "Last resort only"
Mail,DNS,News:

Offered GEN4 to new customers at less than half what they forced their current customers to pay.

Installation: Installer put in bedroom, didn't want it there wanted in living room. He said it would be better connection. Told me to go buy Cat6 cables and run it myself from satellite to other side of house. I told him again, put in living room. He didn't do it. 2 1/2 years going back and forth with Hughes, they still won't move the router. Lights blaring no way to suppress.

Speed: Slow slow and more so.

Billing: ONLY can pay bill direct bill AND they get to choose the date they take the money out of account. Can't change date, can't change to pay it yourself online. Pver 100 a month.

WANT TO SWITCH. Begging Verizon to install dsl lines; but too far away to justify the costs................

Comments:

Harold

@24.10.59.x

Internet/phone

Was told many good things about their service. Had ii only 5 hours and found out none of it works as promised. Then cancelled contract and was told I would get back all but $25.00 ($263.93) for handling charges which I didn't like but what the heck. They sent box prepaid except for one it item which I had to ship back at a cost of $13.00. Waited one week after they had received the equipment and called to find out where my refund was at. I guess if it was left to them I would have never seen a dime. So then I was told I would get back $91.00. So I ask what happen to the other almost $200. and was told there was taxes. Wow that much tax huh. Bottom line is they will tell you anything but deliver on nothing. Then lie about everything in between. So after 30 minutes on a cell phone I will end up with $163. and change as there is now it seems a $99.00 non refundable charge. Gee still another new thing to add.. End of story get Comcast ever at sorry as they are, they just cheat you but they don't lie to you.

Pissedoff

@72.171.192.x

Disappointed

Terrible! Called for 2 months complaining it doesn't work. Download speed .086. They just keep blaming my router or smartphone, computers. Told them I wanted to cancel if they won't fix it, they said I was stuck for 2 years. They do not make service calls. You are screwed!

Jjac

@72.171.192.x

Take them to court

Download speed .086. Unusable
They said tough shit I'm in a 2 yr. contract.

david archof

@69.35.200.x

mad

NEVER GET HUGHES NET! It is the worst internet provider I have ever had! First of all, I dont even know when I get more data to use because of how terrible their customer service is, but with my experience, I am pretty sure that I have okay internet speed for all but two weeks of a month and i even have the best plan with the most data you can get. Right now, I am still waiting for the wonderful day when my two year contract runs out and I can lose Hughes net and get a better internet provider that is not a ripoff! PLEASE DO NOT GET HUGHES NET!

K Family

@130.76.96.x

Re: mad

I completely agree - THE WORST ISP I have ever had, including overseas locations where I have lived. If I had an alternative I would gladly cancel and pay the termination fee.

Az Family

@72.168.96.x

Horable Highesnet!!!

Never again! This company is a RIP OFF! They lied about the coverage, the pricing and the terms. Refused to send me copies of documents I was promised. CAN'T WAIT TILL IT ENDS. This is the worst provider ever!!! and I've used Dish, Century Link, and Direct TV. I'm going back to Dish Network

Review by zactech See Profile

• Location: Marlboro,Ulster,NY
Good "worked as advertised at times"
Bad "god awfull level 1 customer service level 2 must be paid for they wanted $99.00 I was able to get one free session."
Overall "jury is still out"
Mail,DNS,News:

Fist month worked as advertised minimal issues.

Second month had to start rebooting the modem every 3 to 24 hours. Started calling tech support after two weeks of this issue they found no issues and assumed it was an issue with my equipment. After two more weeks of this I stared to call any time I had to reboot the modem to document my issues as I suspected an intermittent modem/lns/server issue of some sort.

In my third month of service they finally moved my issue up to level two (level two is a subcontractor they call hometech support), level two call screener bumped me back to level one and they could find any issues once again.

I called again a day later they moved it up to level two but this time they wanted $99.00 bucks to look into the issue with no guarantee of a resolution, I said thanks but no thanks.

I called again for the third time in three days to escalate my issue to level two at no charge after much complaining about these problems to HughesNet on my part. I was able to wrangle a one-time pin number out of HughesNet to be used once with their subcontractor in order to get around their fees. They remoted into my laptop. I noticed that they used »192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/index.cgi?Command=1 when they were trouble shooting my modem. This is an advanced diagnostics screen you will find most help-full for checking your HughesNet modem. The hometechsupport.sutherlandglobal.com phone number is 877-833-1775 and they will diagnose your issues for a fee. Hometechsupport was able to confirm that all my cables/router/switch/computer settings and were correct. The tech at hometechsupport confirmed my suspicion that I was indeed intermittently getting an invalid DNS from the HughesNet server and I would have to pursue the matter further with HughesNet (I am not holding my breath on this based on my previous experiences with them). I will let you know if HughesNet resolve this issue in the future.

Comments:

walt36263

@174.251.98.x

hughes net modem reboot issues

I have seen many complain of the same issue...rebooting modem...this user found issue...dns server overload. Solution is simple....manually change your dns server... 4.2.2.2 is googles dns server...easy to change...
zactech

join:2014-05-26
usa

Re: hughes net modem reboot issues

Thanks Walt I was not aware that one can change their DNS server. I will give it a try.
zactech

join:2014-05-26
usa

Re: hughes net modem reboot issues

I have looked at all the screens I could find in the modem and was unable to find where you adjust the dns server. Does any one know what screen it is on?

Review by Wolfman See Profile

• Location: Transfer,Mercer,PA
Bad "Horrible"
Overall "Don't waste your money"
Mail,DNS,News:

I was limited in internet providers in my area and basically only had the choice of Hughesnet. I was told prior to signing up that I would have 5 gigs of data and 5 gigs of extra data (12am-8am). After I used my allotted amount of data my internet would be "throttled back" but I would not "lose" my ability to access the internet. Well in the five months since I signed up, had the dish installed and started using Hughesnet, I have run out of the 5 gig limit two weeks into each month with nothing more than social media, email and general web surfing. My bill has not been the same from one month to the next varying as much as $10 a month. Customer service talked in circles giving me many reasons why there was such a change from one month to the next in the amount I owed. Once my 5 gigs of data was used up my service was "throttled" back to slower than dial up at 512kbs. Getting online after the service is throttled back is painful and frustrating. I end up using my phone to get online and check email and facebook because even at 3G it is 10x's faster than Hughesnet "throttled" service. Had I known prior to this this that 5 gigs went so fast and their idea of "throttled" back service meant I would sit and wait 5 minutes for a webpage to load, I would have kept using my cell phone and saved the $60 a month. This service reply's on people like me that have no alternative for internet and basically take your money for substandard internet usage. The cost versus the data usage is, in my opinion, a rip off. As soon as I find an alternative I will be stopping service, even if I'm under contract with them. Unless you have no alternative and have no choice, stay as far away from these guys as possible. Very dissatisfied with customer service, internet speeds (even when I have 5 gig's of data available), and super dissatisfied with their "throttled back" speed. I'd rather keep the $60 a month and have no internet than spend the money for nothing.

Comments:

comcastnet

@54.193.213.x

review of reviw

Yikes,
Scared me out of thinking about it after first 3reviews. Bye , bye. No thank you to Hughes .net

lotsaroots

@65.25.119.x

Re: review of reviw

I'm with you! Their card I got in the mail is torn in half, and in the garbage as I speak. NO thank you! Ill stick to Time Warner. At least Ive had no problems with their internet. Ill keep looking tho. I am trying to save money.

Review by Y_Soitenly See Profile

• Location: Morrilton,Conway,AR
Good "It beats Dial-Up, sometimes."
Bad "Having to reboot the Modem often. Tech Support is worthless."
Overall "If any other Broadband was available in my area, I would dump Hughes in a heartbeat."
Mail,DNS,News:

There are no other options in my area for Broadband or I would jump on it.

I've got the basic package at $60.00 a month.

Ordering the equipment was flawless, but the installer didn't ground the dish right. Found this out a couple of years later when I had another installer to come out to realign the dish. He fixed the ground then.

My first equipment was the DW4000 in 2003. Since then I have upgraded Modems 3 times and currently have the HN7000S Modem.

The good experiences is that it beats Dial-Up. The bad is Tech Support is worthless.

Update:

As of 12/8/12 I had Wildblue/Exede installed and dumped Hughesnet.

Hughesnet had gotten almost unusable during the day light hours and it was this way for the last 6 to 8 Months I had it. About the only time I could get anything done on the Internet was late at night when most people were in bed.

After I've had Exede for a while I'll give a review of it, but so far I'm very happy with it.

Comments:

countrylane

@72.171.16.x

terrible connection

Almost 4 weeks ago I got talked into upgrading to Gen4. Was told it would be 10x faster than the service I had. NOT!! I have to continually log out and log back on. I am so unhappy with this and really don't know what to do. HughesNet is absolutely no help at all. Sites will not "connect" and this happens anytime of the day or night. I would never recommend this company to anyone.

Review by suceress See Profile

• Location: Oakdale,Allen,LA
Good "It works sometimes; can be used when there are literally no other options"
Bad "Unreliable, overpriced, high latency, poor customer service, software problems, bandwidth restrictions, (much more)"
Overall "This is a last resort if you can't even get dialup. Dialup is more reliable and sometimes faster."
Mail,DNS,News:

I live in a rural area in the woods with unpaved roads where cable, mail delivery, and other such conveniences are not available. Since I am so far out and my phone company refused to do maintenance on my lines, I soon found myself unable to even get dial-up to work.

I initially signed up for the base plan with Direcway in 2002. The installation did not go smoothly, but since it seems DW and HughesNet are different companies (or at least under different management) I will not go into detail. Suffice to say that my satellite was never installed properly.

I will cite some of my experiences with DW in order to compare/contrast it with HN. My speeds were initially ok-- better than the 2.6k dialup I had before the dial-up was unable to connect at all but I lost connection during rain, wind, cloudy days, etc. I was not told of the bandwidth restriction ahead of time but the FAP was tolerable-- bringing my speeds to about what they had been on dial-up so my internet was still usable. It never lasted more than 2 to 4 hours. I was allowed approximately 480Mb per day for use without being throttled.

In I believe March 2006, Hughesnet took over and there were changes-- not for the better. My monthly fee went up (without prior notice) and my bandwidth was cut down to 200Mb per day (also without prior notice). The FAP period lasted 26 hours (Hughesnet claims it is a minimum of 24 hours, but it never lasted any less than 26 hours every time) and during those times my internet was rendered completely useless. I was unable to load any webpages or use any online application whatsoever.

After a storm I noticed that my satellite was somewhat wobbly. I contacted HN to try to get them to send a technician out to fix it-- numerous times. Every time they refused.

There are far too many incidents to report on, but my speeds decreased and the service got even worse. Base tech support gave contradictory information to what advanced tech support suggested. In fact, there were times that base tech support told me to do things that advanced tech support said to never do.

Even when my modem was unplugged HN claimed I was downloading 5 to 20Mb every hour so I was constantly getting hit with the FAP. Furthermore, when I called tech support while subject to FAP they actually told me that customers under FAP were not allowed to speak to advanced tech support. That particular employee even refused to let me speak to a supervisor. I had to hang up and call back to get a different employee who was reluctant to let me speak to a supervisor, but then the supervisor gave me the same line of bull about not letting me speak to advanced tech support. (I wanted to verify that the advice given to me by the lower techs matched advice from advanced bc they were telling me to do something advanced techs said to never do).

The HN techies seemed less knowledgeable than the DW ones, and were far less helpful (although some were polite, there were a few rude ones, and most just read from a script and couldn't handle anything off-script). My service was constantly going out and I was given all sorts of excuses including "sun spots". It took me 3 hours to get one of their techs to admit that something had gone awry with one of their satellites and that it wasn't a problem on my end. Several hours later when I called back to check the progress of the repair, the HN employee denied that there had been anything wrong and insisted it was a problem on my end.

I believe it was 2007 when my transmitter died and I was told I would need a brand new satellite (at my expense) because the new transmitters wouldn't work on the old satellites. I also had to "upgrade" from the DW4000 to the HN7000S along the way. In a spectacular display of physics, my cat managed to make a glass of milk fly across the room and land under the desk and soak the DW4000-- which immediately sparked and smoked from shorted circuits-- it took me 2 hours to explain to the HN tech that I was certain my modem was broken. The installer who put in the new satellite had to put in a new pole because the original one was not only too thin/flimsy, but it was improperly installed. He pointed the dish at a different satellite than I had been on before though. My signal went from 80 strength down to 70-60. Over the years the signal strength has decreased and I now average round 45-50 on clear days.

At some point we got conned into taking the plunge and getting the "Pro Plus Plan" for $80 a month. We were told we would get better speeds and not have to worry about the FAP. They were wrong. Our speeds did not improve at all-- we consistently get around 300k down or less when we were told we shouldn't be getting less than 600k down and the modem software miscalculates usage and claims we use more than is even possible.

Initially we had to check the Hughesnet usage page to check to see how much bandwidth we had left, but it was not up-to-date and was very slow to load. Fortunately they added something to the modem which tells us somewhat up-to-date information on our usage. They also made it so we get one free uncap token per month to remove the FAP. The problem was, they made it so we had to load their webpage to use the token. I spent two hours on the phone going around in circles trying to explain to the tech that I could not uncap myself because I could not load ANY webpages-- including their page that had the utility to use the tokens. Finally it dawned on him and he used the token for me. I will say to their credit, they wised up and added the token usage to the modem itself. Unfortunately they did not fix the miscalculating problem.

One day the modem misreported that I downloaded 1500Mb in a single hour-- which even tech support admitted was absolutely impossible on my connection. All of my downloads were being magnified by 10. Tech support did actually uncap us, but the problem with uncapping at that point was that they didn't refill the bucket when they uncapped, they just lifted the cap, so if we loaded anything at all it would reinstate the FAP-- but they did fix that after a few months.

In the case with the 1500Mb incident, I was escalated to advanced tech support. I was hopeful that I would get a resolution. Unfortunately I got a call back from a very snooty and rude woman who told me in a condescending tone that I must have a virus on one or more of my computers that caused me to "upload" that much data. I explained to her that I had virus scanners on all of the computers, had disabled automatic updates, and it was a "download" not an "upload". She said there was obviously something wrong on my end and hung up.

In the past few months I have had multiple issues with the bandwidth miscalculation, the connection goes out for no apparent reason when it is sunny with no wind, and I have been having all sorts of errors about uplink queuing, dns entry errors, web acceleration outages, dns entry outages, and lately something wrong with the transmitter. Every time I call tech support I get the same script and no actual support.

When a power outage caused my modem to somehow unregister the tech support tried to walk me through a fix but the lower level told me to do the wrong things but then advanced couldn't figure it out. I had to drive 20 miles to go to McDonalds to use wifi to look on dslreports for a solution. (The McDonalds option was not viable until I got a laptop in October-- and I can't do it regularly because the seats are too uncomfortable, it costs too much for gas and food, my road cannot always be driven on after heavy rains bc it turns to mud, and McDonalds doesn't stay open all night). Fortunately there was one and I was able to fix the problem myself. It turns out their registration page had expired certificates and my browsers were refusing to load it. I had to find a work-around.

I have been told that people who have the HN9000 modems have better experiences than what I am having with the HN7000S, but every time I checked with Hughesnet I was told that I am not eligible for the upgrade. I have also been informed that since they are phasing out the 7000 I am only going to see my service decline.

I don't know if the web acceleration, dns acceleration, uplink queuing, etc issues have to do with the reduced space on the rented satellites or if it is just poor programming. I have to restart my modem sometimes 50 to 100 times a day. Some days my internet stops working every 2 minutes. When I have the TCP acceleration, DNS, etc errors my internet stops working completely. Sometimes the modem stops sending signal out through the ethernet cord completely and I have to unplug it for a few minutes and plug it back in to get it working again. It is highly frustrating and the techs never know what to do.

I saw a message in the diagnostic saying "if the problem persists, contact technical support", so I made the mistake of doing just that. The tech support guy was rather rude and said "Why did you even call?" when I explained to him why. He also informed me that Hughesnet's Pro Plus plan was not for downloading files. What else would I need it for if not to have heavier usage than the base plan? With all of the new java/flash applications, video ads, etc, just loading webpages can suck a lot of bandwidth away nowadays. They did increase my bucket by 50Mb but its too little too late. Plus I still get miscalculation errors where my bandwidth plummets for no apparent reason.

I am hopeful that with the advances in technology I will be able to get 3G coverage for internet instead. I am sick of Hughesnet and can hardly wait to get a new ISP.

Wish me luck.

Edit: As an addendum, I play online games and let's just say I had more luck playing EverQuest on 40kbs dial-up in Guam. It had less latency and was far more reliable than satellite. (and yes, I do know that satellite inherently has latency). If Dial-up was an option for me, I would go back to it, because at least it would work when it rains.

ps. Sorry for this being so disorganized and my apologies for any typos/misspellings.

pps. After I began posting on the dslreports forums about my problems with Hughesnet, my speed decreased even more and my bandwidth started miscalculating. After I posted this review my bucket mysteriously drained when no one in my family was even using the internet and I was subject to FAP at 0 so I could not load any webpages. According to the usage page I allegedly loaded over 700Mb during the regular hours in a rolling 24 hour period. During some of the hours when it claimed I was loading 20+Mb nobody in my household was even home and the wireless was turned off. Call me paranoid, but I can't help but suspect that Hughesnet is deliberately doing this to get back at me for giving a bad review. I accept that it is possible its just another software issue that I've had in the past where it miscalculates, but its rather convenient that it happened right after a negative review.

Update Dec. 11, 2011: I recently got Millenicom and have been using it for the past couple of days. I am only getting about 2 bars of signal but I don't yet have an antenna/amplifier. With that signal and no amp I am still getting better speeds and lower latency than I ever experienced my entire time with Hughesnet. I do get lag spikes in World of Warcraft and sometimes lose connection, but thus far it is no worse than Hughesnet.

Update May 5, 2014: Millenicom did not pan out because the antenna/amplifier didn't work and I was too far to get decent signal from Sprint. Hughesnet continued to deteriorate and all the customer "service" wanted to do was push Gen4 on me. I told them it was even less bandwidth than the Pro Plus Plan that I was using and they tried to argue with me. I was not happy with the prospect of having to go with Gen4, but they were trying to force me into it by slowly killing my old service. It got to the point where my internet was barely working for the last two months (it pretty much stopped working the last month). I called to have a technician come out and they said everyone was on vacation and it would take 2 to 3 weeks. Later I was in a computer store and people were talking about internet services and someone told me about Exede. I went and looked it up. Same speeds as Gen4, same price, but different limit (at least when you look at how HN advertised it). HN advertised 20Gb per month-- but you had to read the small print to see that you got 10Gb during normal hours and 10Gb during "bonus" hours. Exede advertised 10Gb. Reading the fine print they had 10Gb during normal hours and unlimited bandwidth during the "Late Night Free Zone" (LNFZ). When I called to ask about installation they gave me a date sooner than Hughesnet would be able to send out a tech to try to fix the dying HN service. We did have to bump it back a week due to a death in the family, but we got it all installed. I called Hughesnet to tell them goodbye and to demand money back for my last two months of non-working service. They surprisingly complied with no arguments. I was so gleeful to get away from them. Exede is not perfect and it has some of the same problems as Hughesnet (some outages, bandwidth miscalculation, upload delay, etc) but the customer service is far superior thus far (I think I got Exede in Nov 2012). Instead of getting 200k down, I have clocked my downloads at 20Mb down and 3Mb up. I can actually stream downloads now. I have to do most of my loading in the late night free zone, but I had to do the same with the Pro Plus Plan with Hughesnet-- only at vastly slower speeds.

Comments:

Review by compuguybna See Profile

• Location: Nashville,Davidson,TN
Good "There are NO good points to state about Hughesnet, Pure trouble!"
Bad "All ECC can say in defense is --we do not guarantee speeds--!"
Overall "Slow speeds, Clueless India Tech Support, Throttling, Expensive"
Mail,DNS,News:

Hear all the issues with Gen4 . . . . New bird wasn't the solution I guess?

Just heard a co-worker had hughesnet installed on 7/23/12. I told he should have asked me first. Yesterday 7/25/12, two days after install, he was cussing Hughesnet and his blood pressure was up! He cancelled TODAY 7/26, and told Hughes to come get the equipment off his property!

I told him about wireless broadband, and now he's getting 20GB off a Verizon tower for $59.

I wonder if GEN4 is gonna be the same? If they dont raise the caps and allowances, there will be no hope.......

Problems? Here's your best THREE contacts! Send 1 email to all three.
You'll get a call!

Complaints can be address to : bbbdc@hughes.net (Handles BBB complaints) or

(ECC) executivecustomercare@hughes.net or

william.smouse@hns.com (my last contact)

Just gotta laugh at the new advertising schemes from Hughesnet.
I still keep getting advertising and emails from them wanting me to "come back" to their service. Not in this lifetime I say.

Here's Hughesnet TOP 10 reasons to Try/Use their Service.

1. It's available wherever you live **Ok, they got me on this one**

2. It's super-fast. ***NOT*** why do they call this broadband anyway? just cause of the inherent latency...

3. It works with your computer. **Ok, they got me on this one**
for pc's anyway.

4. No dial-up necessary **No brainer, it uses a satellite, not a POTS line, however it can be as SLOW AS DIALUP!

5. We install it, so you have nothing to worry about ***BUT you want to charge truck-roll if SOMETHING DOES HAPPEN, even within the warranty period***

6. It's secure. **Ok, they got me on this one**, but DOES NOT play well with "secured sites**https**

7. We constantly monitor the network to ensure better service
***yes, so we can find you and throttle you if you actually "USE* the service***

8. Excellent customer service **WRONG** If you enjoy banging your head against your desk talking with India...***

9. Hughes is a leader in the industry, **BUT** not necessarily the only satellite provider.

10. Hughes is a trusted name and provider.....***Trusted name doesn't necessarily mean better service***

AND the fact that they have changed all the plan names (and if I see right, deleted a plan).

BASIC (1mbps) 200mb day
Power 150 (1.5mbps) 300mb day
Power 200 (2.0mbps) 400mb day

Being greedy, Hughes states on ALL plans you can UPGRADE your daily allowance by 50mb a day for only $10 a month.

Actually the daily allowances have DROPPED. Didn't the 1.6 plan (obviously dropped). have a 425 or 525mb allowance?

So, on the Power 200 plan (2.0mbps plan), you can get a WHOPPING 450mb a day for only $119.99! WOW! Is that value or what?

Does this apply to new users only? or have download allowance dropped for current users?

WTF???

UPDATE 9/21/10. Thankful the Broadband GODS have answered. Have High speed cable internet now.
20mbps download! Thank goodness I can download almost 9gigs in one day if I prefer, instead of the disgusting 425MB I had to deal with on Hughes at 1mpbs or less! ! !

I've had TWO Hughesnet Accounts in six months, BOTH of them turned out to be disasters. The First was plagued with billing and service errors to start with. They billed my credit card 503.86 on my first bill because they said I put in an order for a "purchase". WRONG! The order simply stated lease. I had to send them the original order to prove it.

A month later, they got it 1/2 right, but it was a continual battle with billing. I eventually had to change credit card #'s to get them to stop billing me. For the first 30 days, the service was as good as expected. I was on the HOME plan, which provide "UP TO" 1mbps of service. During the first 30 days, you are in a "customer satisfaction stage", where you can cancel without penalty, return the equipment at your expense, and not be obligated any longer. Your fee's you have paid so far are NOT REFUNDABLE (other than disputing it through your credit card company). After your 30 days, and after your SECOND invoice generates, WHAMMY! you are at their mercy.

Their famous excuse after that is "SPEEDS ARE NOT GUARANTEED". If you have to call tech support, its an endless cycle of running speed tests, and talking to someone in India. Billing support is in the Phillipines. With so many issues on this account, and after writing the Better Business Bureau of Maryland, my account was handed over to the corporate office (Executive Customer Care).

I give those people credit, they did TRY to help me with the issues, but given that the NOCC (network operations) was directly controlling speeds at that time thru throttling and flow control, ECC and myself that this battle should end (it was stated by tech support.. "your system is running fine. There is nothing else we can do...If you are not happy with the service, either "accept it with its Flaws" or cancel it. WHAT??? They admit their service is flawed? Cancelled it. More stupid on my part, we decided to sign up for a totally new account. New install, new equipment, new start...

Once again, EVERYTHING went perfect for the first 30 days. I signed up for the PRO + package that time which gave a tad bit more speed, plus more daily usage (425mb)... Consistently, everyday, 1.5mbps speeds which was 95% of the plans output. GREAT I was thinking. 30 days passed. Second Invoice. Speeds went to around 300-400K....then comes the excuses... "You are in peak time usage", you have exceeded your usage, you're in FAP, the weather at your gateway is BAD.

Tech support did admit once (the guy in India) that there WAS a problem, but it would have to be diagnosed by engineering. Again, and endless cycle of speed tests (in two occassions, put me over my daily usage, FAP, which they were unwilling to release).... So be well aware, if you sign up for a Hughesnet Account with a HN9000 modem package, you are in for a very long battle. While you may think you're crusing right along at first, wait til you're 30 days are up, and you're in a contract. TWO TIMES in 6 months taught me a lesson! NEVER trust these people. they will NEVER admit that network operations gives you what ever speeds they want, whenever they want.

The corporate office's response to my second series of complaints was directly from the office of the president and stated """We will not go through this again. Everyone just got your letter today. I called your mother and left a message. There is an open ticket with Tier 4, if they can't resolve I recommend she cancel immediately. PLEASE refrain from sending e-mails to the customer service group. I am sorry she is, or you are not happy with the service. You and I had an agreement on this next account. No complaints to ECC, and we do not guarantee speeds."""

their famous slogan "do not guarantee speeds" just doesn't cut it on a 79.99 a month plan that rates at 1.6mbps, but only providing 300-400K. This is a TRUE story, and I have no doubt all of these others are true in their own respect at well. FORWARNED if you are thinking about Hughes.

Complaints can be address to : bbbdc@hughes.net or
executivecustomercare@hughes.net or
william.smouse@hns.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
UPDATE: Many forum users have challenged my posts and experiences......

YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY ! ! ! Think what you want...

Hughesnet just didn't get it in TN. Read any posts from any user in TN, Hughesnet screwed us (or still screws ya if you're stupid enough to stay).

Perhaps users in other states have different/varied results.

I know what I experienced, documented, and dealt with.

I am so glad I'm not a part of the nightmare.

I posted the notes only to share with others. If you don't agree or wish dispute the points I made, than this is sole your option.

thank you, i'm finished in this forum. If you signup with Hughesnet, good luck with the consequences you will experience later on.

Comments:

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
·Millenicom
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

Still So Pathetic even an Email and facebook only user cxls.

Problems? Here's your best THREE contacts! Send 1 email to all three.
You'll get a call!
cdrslan

join:2012-07-30
Louisville, KY

Re: Still So Pathetic even an Email and facebook only user cxls.

I had Hughes.net and before that it was called Direcway for about 5 years. My wife liked the browsing speed versus the 16.400 baud dial up speed... Downloads were great. The problem with this service and it was fully disclosed..but frustrating...the FAP policy and the upload packets. Very very frustrating to a gamer who lived in a rural area that had 0 options for quality broadband. The slowest cable modem or DSL connection will be much less frustrating than Hughes.net

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
·Millenicom
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

Contacts at Hughes.

Posted this a while back(but it keeps getting deleted), but for any of you that are having issues that you can't get resolved, contact Corporate using these email contacts.

bbbdc@hughes.net
executivecustomercare@hughes.net
william.smouse@hns.com (office of president).

Hope these help and someone can make use of them.

(these were posted on other sites including facebook, but HUGHES keeps deleting them).