HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by lrymal See Profile

• Location: Joaquin,Shelby,TX
Good "FAST! GEN4 I'm rural! No cell, no cable modem, no DSL. This is all I got!"
Bad "Latency (unavoidable due to it being satellite) may cause website timeouts"
Overall "No other options! So far, I'm delighted, for my purposes (no video gaming, etc.)"
(ratings well above consensus)

I have been on the new GEN4 and am extremely satisfied. My previous HughesNet averaged about 2500-3500 whereas GEN4 is NOW averaging 7000-10000. Upload speed is easily triple what I had with the previous HughesNet.

HughesNet contracts out with satellite installers, so one is at their mercy. My installer who scrapped my previous system and installed the new GEN4 was pleasant, competent, and explained as he went along. He didn't seem to mind my shadowing him.

Background here is very rural. No DSL, No cell signal, no cable modem. So far, I'm delighted, for my purposes (no video gaming, etc.) No video-on-demand. E-mail, Facebook, webpage content is the main demand here.

Comments:
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

?

just wondering never heard of anyone not being able to get even cell service , not even verizon services your area? I mean Verizon Wireless.

Thanks just wondering

admin123

@myvzw.com

Re: ?

Theres lots of ppl can't get wireless .
lrymal

join:2004-02-24
Joaquin, TX

No wireless

No cell phone signal here. No microwave... NADA. HughesNet is IT.

Review by scottymead See Profile

• Location: Post Falls,Kootenai,ID
Good "EVERYTHING"
Bad "NOTHING"
Overall "LOVE IT"
(ratings well above consensus)

Little as people know, Dish Network bought Hughes Net, launched a new satellite and its better then its ever been, I love dishNET/Hughes Net!! Way better then Time Warner or Frontier.... $39.99/month

member for 7 years, 2329 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
silbaco
join:2009-08-03
USA

Uh....

This is a joke... right? Firstly, you are paying $49.99 per month. There is an equipment rental. Secondly.. you have a tiny usage cap with high latency, making gaming, Netflix, and downloading large files impossible. 5GB a month, 5GB night usage. You could download more than that on Time Warner in a few hours.

Re: Uh....

nope, paying $39.99 because I have Dish Network TV service. I don't seem to have any cap on my account.
Current Usage
Anytime: Usage Is Unlimited
Off-Peak (2am - 8am): Usage Is Unlimited At This Time

I live in a rural area, Time Warner (Roadrunner) is available , ive had it... However every hour or so it would disconnect, modem would reboot. I however don't play games, watch netflix or download large files, the most I do is watch YouTube and its fast to me.

Im happy with the speed according to the speed test...

Download: 15.35 Mbps
Upload: 2.56 Mbps

Re: Uh....

Yea... You know the whole anytime unlimited is only for, at most, a month, right? Also, bonus bytes will be active soon, so say bye bye downloading. You are one of the very lucky few that see 15Mbps, I am supposed to be around 10Mbps and rarely see above 2Mbps down... Kinda makes me wanna go back to the 9000 unit sometimes.
silbaco
join:2009-08-03
USA
You didn't read your fine print then. $39.99 + $10 equipment rental.

"All plans require 24-month Agreement and $10/mo. equipment lease fee."

BTW, the Unlimited it going to be gone very soon. Then you will have 5GB Anytime, 5GB Bonus. That's going to suck.

Re: Uh....

well according to my bill im being credited the 10 dollar equipment rental. dishNET Bundle -10.00 (Modem/TRIA Lease) Unlimited or not, I dont even use 5GB a month anyways, well not with a 20 month old and a 2 month old. My time spent online is between the hours of 2 and 5 so 5GB is plenty
mbslk32

join:2013-02-13
San Andreas, CA
you must be paid big by Dish Network and Hughes.net? your statement that you wrote here is a BIG freaking LIE!
waytim

join:2011-12-01
Sterling, MI

Really?

Ok, how much did they pay you?? "Better than nothing" is the only positive thing that can be said about this service.

Re: Really?

$39.99

Re: Really?

Opps sorry, they didnt pay me anything except a good friend of mine who installs Dish Network here in North Idaho installed my service and im pleased with it.
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

What drugs are you on?

I'd go with dial-up before i would deal with those Hughes scam artists.One of them days you will find out too.How can you even attempt to say they are better than Time Warner or Frontier with LOW caps/slow speeds/High price for what you get.Think again

Re: What drugs are you on?

Dish Network bought out Hughes Net. I pay less then I did with Time Warner and Frontier..

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV

Re: What drugs are you on?

Pole mount in a Cemented bucket?
One Bump and the entire thing will be out.
Also FCC regs require 5 foot clearance.
Not busting your Chops at all but I have had my share of go arounds with folks over subpar installs. Bad Grounds corners being cut. Drunk installers.
The Pole is one that does happen to.
If Dish is allowing that, and Hughesnet is signing off on it.
The Forums will see a upsurge in folks needing assistance.
Glad you like it, although if it was me, I would exhaust all my sources on the land based lines. Everything from new Modems to rewiring the Grey box for the phone lines. Bad wire (in the home) is usually the trouble, if your neighbors have good service.

The reason folks will think your a "plant' here is the 100% rating.
Which if your not, and you really do not appear to be I would say you are fairly new to Hughes and just had it installed. And have never had to call in yet. Or ran into any issue that gets others all worked up.

$39.00 for the 15 Megs service.....I am paying $74.00 for my service. That is just wrong of Hughesnet on so many levels.

Re: What drugs are you on?

Just remember, we have 2-3 times more allowance than he does, sure he has top speeds, but, well, his allowance will get him in the end.

@direcway.com
Dish didn't buy HN, it was Echostar that did, two entirely different companies... Other than the name Echostar on the equipment, and CEO, they have nothing else between them. Echostar is more of a provider to dish than anything, dish has no say-so over Hughes nor Echostar, nor does Echostar have any say over Dish in the end, but Echostar does have say over Hughes.

Review by Fourcpus4me See Profile

• Location: Gladwin,Gladwin,MI
Good "Beats the heck out of dial up. Daily quota instead of monthly (good)"
Bad "Lag delay from satellite, weather sensitive"
Overall "Basic package fine for web use and rare video usage"
(ratings well above consensus)

Like many, we had no choice since only dial-up is available in this area. Satellite installer was decent... we have lots of trees and had to put dish on roof. We have the 'basic' package with a daily download limit of 250MB and an HN9200 dish/modem.

Most of the time it works as it should and we get full bandwidth that we pay for. Uploading is unlimited and only downloading is metered. Usage tools are provided and work well to keep you informed about going over daily download limit.

Weather and rain can make the service dicey at times, but still far better than dial-up.

Had to use tech support the other day... about a 5 minute wait to talk to someone and it appears to be supported out of India. Support rep was helpful and though my issue turned out to be hughesnet satellite config issues, it was resolved in less than 24 hours.

Large downloads and computer updates can be accomplished between the hours of 2:00am and 7:00am Eastern time, and I configured our computers to do all their updates during that time frame so as not to go over the daily download limit. This is useful and hughes provides a free download manager to help with managing large downloads that are sometimes required.

The service is not perfect, but it is decent and far, far better than dial-up. We considered Wild Blue, but the monthly download quota from WB is a deal-breaker and basically makes the faster speed useless except for going over your quota faster.

Comments:

Hopeless

@direcpc.com

Nightmare after nightmare with Hughesnet

This company has too many people on their system. We've been a customer of theirs for almost a year now. Every week, my wife and I fight over dropping the service in favor of going with Excede, but we don't because hughesnet will instantly take $400 out of our account if we do break the contract. On top of that we will have to mail the equipment back with insurance which according to a toss up between the USPS and UPS is over $80. My wife is also so jaded from this affair that she thinks Excede will pull the same crap as Hughesnet.
For the past three months we have been getting an average of 200 to 250 kilobits/sec download speed which is 1/4 what we are paying $80 per month for. Video is not an option. Even Facebook games are not an option. When they throttled our service (all lies on their part about this), at least we had the open window between 1 and 6am which was great when we wanted to download anything but for the past month we haven't even had that great time frame speed. It's always 200 to 250 Kb/sec. Somehow we ran over our 250 mg limit READING the news a few nights ago. My bandwidth monitor reduced to 170Kb/sec. That's just over three times the speed of dial up on a good day. I told my wife there wasn't any point in spending money to use a token to refresh our allotment. It was literally unnoticeable.
This is what's going to happen when you get their service. Your going to get your 1Mb/sec and then three maybe five months down the line, you will experience outages that last all day and then finally you too will get 200 K and you will be stuck like us with this TOTAL F*CKING SH*T UNTIL YOUR CONTRACT IS OVER AND YOU CAN SWITCH! And yes... we've had 2 different "technicians" come to our house. This company is dirty and they will hold that termination charge over your head like a slave master's whip. Don't get suckered in with this bait and switch crap. Save your sanity. Stay away from Hughesnet.

Fourcpus4me

join:2012-08-11
Gladwin, MI

Re: Nightmare after nightmare with Hughesnet

In our case, we only had 26kbps on dial-up before Hughes so we were desperate.

We've had it about 3 months and most of the time receive 1Mb downstream and nearly 200Kb upstream. Rolling quota is up to 500MB if you don't use the connection much the previous day.

I think they recently did something to the satellite in the last week because our signal strength used to be only 60-65 and now it is above 80db even in the rain or heavy clouds.

I've heard rumor more upgrades are due in the fall (major upgrades) but I don't know if any of that will affect us with basic packages.

We have no contract and paid no equipment or installation fees, due to the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (Obama and other politicians scamming the taxpayers) and had to sign a waiver indicating there is no other way to get internet in this area, which there isn't.

els

@mycingular.net

Re: Nightmare after nightmare with Hughesnet

I'm in the same situation as you where I have no other way of getting internet access. How were you able to get everything waived? Did you just tell them that this was the situation and sign some sort of paperwork? I'd love to get in under the same circumstances since my new community keeps claiming that "soon" we will have other providers... but who knows when that will be.

scammednomor

@aol.com
this sounds like my experience with direct tv - lie after lie and they helped themselves to my checking acct. thru my debit card - when i tried to cancel and advised them they had broken contract not me - they said i would have to pay $250 cancellation fee - i cancelled my debit card - got nasty letters for a few months - then i sent them nasty letter calling their service a big scam - they reduced my fee to about $50 - i sent letter advising them they had been paid for service and would not pay scam money - a few weeks later got letter wanting me back as valued customer - aint gonna happen
Expand your moderator at work

kelljjoes

@cox.net

SCAM!!!

Do not use hughesnet. They will scam you out of $324.75 and refuse to refund it. RIDICULOUS. And good luck finding someone in billing that you can understand.

yikes

@verizon.net

Re: SCAM!!!

Thanks for these reviews, I'm running. I called them this afternoon to see if they had faster speed than Verizon in my area which is too slow for Live Streaming of Netflix on a new flat screen - I got this high pressure sales pitch & they wanted to lock me in before I hung up.
I felt very uneasy at that point and told him I had to go.
That's when I thought to look up reviews for this company.
Thank you for saving me from this place!!!

DBF

@myvzw.com

HUGHESNET

I didn't realize that I had other options when I moved to our new place. There was already a Hughesnet antenna attached to the house so I just assumed that it was my only option. We got the service and it was like going back into the dark ages. Couldn't use utube or skype. It was like being back on dial up, only slower!!. I was angry every time I used the internet. I got Verizon 4g wireless internet service and canceled the Hughesnet with a $370 termination fee. Best money I ever spent!!!

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

Re: HUGHESNET

Yeah, Hughesnet loves when they can make $370 off someone with an EFT fee knowing their service sucks royally.

ReverendT

@direcway.com

Not as advertised, plus termination fee.

I will give HughesNet this: their service is faster than dial-up...most of the time. And their customer service people are very polite and urge me to "have a wonderful day."

Beyond that, it really is not deserving of the title "broadband". The service has rarely approached the advertised "up to" speeds, has often slowed to a crawl even under excellent reception conditions. Have trouble uploading attachments to gmail because of intermittent or slow service resulting in time-outs. Even 240p video is an iffy download with lots of buffers, and downloading of YouTube videos into buffer will often just stop in the middle of watching.

In summary, the service is overpriced for the value, performance inconsistent at best, and as many others have observed you will pay termination fee (even after 18 of 24 months, $145) when something better comes along. Switching to WB-Exede now that it is available until real broadband comes out this way.

Fourcpus4me

join:2012-08-11
Gladwin, MI

Re: Not as advertised, plus termination fee.

WB-exede has been available for quite some time. Hughesnet is launching their WB-exede comparable service speeds in the fall.

Review by ford8nlover See Profile

• Location: Beaverdam,Hanover,VA
Good "Consistant speeds near or above advertised speeds, reliable connection, a good option if no alternatives are avaliable"
Bad "Not as fast as DSL or cable but that is expected"
Overall "If no other options are avaliable in your area then HughesNet is for you"

·exede by ViaSat
Other than dial up I have no other options and signing up with the Recovery Act pricing at $40 per month you can't beat that! HughesNet is best for those with no alternatives in rural areas. I was installed with the HN 9200 system and am very satisfied with the speeds and reliability. With satellite internet you have to understand and cope with the limitations including the FAP. Satellite internet is not unlimited nor is it as fast as cable. If you understand these limitations and understand that in rural areas you can't expect the same internet usage limits and speeds as our urban neighbors then you wouldn't see as many negative reviews on satellite internet. Thanks HughesNet for providing this service to the under served.

Comments:
apauling

join:2011-11-18
Jacksonville, OR

A well-balanced review but...

I agree that satellite users need to adjust expectations; this is not real broadband. Nonetheless, Hughes continues to sell its Basic plan as offering speeds up to 1mbps. I have used Hughes for 8 years and have never gotten close that speed. Until recently, downloads topped out in the 130-180mbps range. These days I sometime see speeds up to ±300kbps, especially during the FAP-free period. Tech support is usually extremely poor unless you get the case escalated to a US technician.

Review by zeddlar See Profile

• Location: Jay,Delaware,OK
Good "Great download speeds and the only satt isp that works for some types of gaming including World of Warcraft."
Bad "Latency, but thas inherant of Satt. and the outsourced script reading tech support."
Overall "Best Satt dealer out there and considering the choices hughes is by far the best value."
(ratings well above consensus)

I tried WildBlue and was no even close to sattisfied. Since I have come back to Hughes I am even moderatly happy with their service. I am subscribed to the small buissness package because the bandwidth limit and speed are higher. I paid $800 up front for my equipment which includes all wiring, .98 meter dish, 2watt transmitter radio and an HN7000S Modem. The plan I am susbscribed to has a 500MB fap limit and the advertised spedds are 1500 down and 300 up, I usually get 2500 down in off peak hours and as slow as 800 down in peak hours on the download side and my upload is always between 200 and 250up.

all in all I am happy with hughesnet, I would have to say though that the thing that bothers me the worst is thier India based tech support and the scripts they give them to read off to you when you call.

Update 10/25/2010

I have since upgraded to the 9000 modem and KA system and am now very sattisfied with the service I get. My old service was degrading fast and unusable at times so I migrated to the new service and since then I get at least 70% of the speeds I am suppose to get and EverQuest and World of Warcraft are working good again.

Update 9/04/2011

Now paying for 2 Mb/s download speed and getting 3.9 to 4.2 Mb/s Have 50 Mb over my plan cap giving me 550 MB a day with the 5 hour free time it is now possible to download 50 or so GB per month so no complaints here at all now. Also hughesnet is suppose to soon make changes for the better on the Fair Access Policy and are working on improving thier tech support and in doing that the first step was to start thier own forum on thier customer care page with good tech participation so all but latency Hughesnet has improved by leaps and bounds with the future looking even better. Now if someone could just invent a way to get the signal to the satellite faster than the speed of light to improve the latency this could finally be classed as broadband maybe. =-)

Comments:

tonys

@direcpc.com

being informed

You see a big difference in satisfaction when a consumer is educated about what they are buying.
Kaosfury

join:2011-06-27
Altavista, VA

agreed
zeddlar

join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

Re: being informed

Thanx, you all just gave me another idea to suggest on their website.
suceress

join:2008-04-04

Re: being informed

Wow. Sounds like you had to shell out a lot of money and have been fortunate with your service.
I'm glad it is working for you.
I wish I could say the same for me. I think one of the biggest problems is the lack of information to the customers before purchase.
They don't warn people about the FAP. They don't tell them about the inherent latency. They downplay the effect of weather on some systems.
I admit that even with knowledge of DW's FAP I still would have signed up because I literally had no other option after dial-up stopped working.
I was irritated with Hughesnet for making changes to my plan without prior notification. No e-mail message, no written letter, nothing. I think that was a pretty rude/unethical thing to do. It's not like I would have been able to do much, but at least I wouldn't have been so surprised when I got capped the first time. Going from 480Mb per day to 200Mb per day limit was not a happy surprise. Having to pay $80 to get 425Mb per day also sucked. It wasn't quite a doubling of my monthly bill, but it was close.

Another issue I noted was inconsistency in the quality of the installers. Some people had great installers who did everything right the first time. Others, like me, had complete unprofessional jerks who brought their cousins or kids along and spent more time chatting with them than actually working. (Ok, I didn't mind the kid being brought along-- it was the guy who brought his cousin that pissed me off since he couldn't finish the install bc he spent so much time yapping with his cousin that it got too dark for him to go up on the roof). The first installer with the cousin was sent by Direcway but he worked for the same company that HN contracted for the later installer who brought his kid and announced that he was quitting his job as soon as he finished the install on my satellite.

LOL. I guess I just had very bad luck with it.

I'm hoping more people have luck like yours. Although I do wonder about the people who can't afford the higher plans and people who can't get the HN9000 in their areas.

Mind if I ask what server you play WoW on? Horde or Alliance?

I've been trying Millenicom for a couple of days and while I do get some lag spikes, with the reduced latency I am able to do more time-sensitive quests like the shooting gallery at Darkmoon Faire.

Review by Kaosfury See Profile

• Location: Altavista,Campbell,VA
Good "You are able to get High Speed IUnternet as long as you have a power outlet and the proper view of the sky."
Bad "Quality of Service and information rely heavily on Sub contracted companys / installers."
Overall "Fantastic for folks who have no reasonable DSL or Cable in there area."
(ratings well above consensus)

This is from a Installers point of view,

Quality of Service and overall Satisfaction rides heavily on the sales people who set you up with the pricing plan and features...... if they have no scruples or any honor, than they leave out the part about Fair Access Policy, and other negative aspects of the service. When you find out, its already installed and you rightfully angry.

Or, if a installer uses un-approved materials, or does not treat his job as a Technicial Trade. i'm not saying what we do is rocket science. But 5 more minutes to peak the signal... or 10 minutes to squint correctly can make the difference.

Hughes the company its self, in my opinion is pretty straight foreward..... i get sent to peoples homes for repair work, when they just dont understand latency and there is no real problem, and Hughes payes the company that payes me.

to summerize,

Hughes Net is a fantastic internet service provider, that has made it possible for people to stay in touch when the city / county refuses to run wire to your neighborhood because your not rich.

you want a great experience.

Double check what the salesman say........ watch the installer at 10 minute incriments ( installers only get mad when you watch if they are un-sure of there skill ). now dont get in the way, but ask a few questions.

Do this... and your install will go well, and all will be well.

P.S. if you have a good installer, some one that goes the extra mile to make sure you have the experience you want, Ex. hides the wire.... clips it to look good..... uses his head and hides the ground block connections, for the love of god, show your appreciation and tip. Five dollars will feed his soul and let him know you appreciate the fact he dove under your home, in the dirt..... with the spiders.... to get that cable exactly where you want it.

Comments:

Review by boochips See Profile

• Location: Marianna,Jackson,FL
Good "Fast downloads"
Bad "none that I have seen"
Overall "I Love It!"
(ratings well above consensus)

I don't understand all the complaints on this forum. We had hughesnet installed in April and we love it. It is pure sunshine after suffering with dialup for 13 years. I had a great installer and everything went perfect. The ONLY time we have been offline is when a storm knocked the power out a couple of times. I did my research before ordering and knew about the FAP and latency. I never use more than 3 or 4% of my 200MB. What do you complainers do all day? Watch one video after another? I work 2nd shift so I do my updating etc...during the free period.It's wonderful being able to get program updates and windows updates in minutes instead of hours! I LOVE my Hughesnet and wouldn't go back to dialup for anything.

• Location: 75949-
Good "Top of the line - Luv it- Im' 80 years old and been using computer long time."
(ratings well above consensus)

Great Order and install process - Still in learning process- Best ever yet.Thanks
redsntp@hughes.net

(review was emailed from domain HUGHES.NET)

• Location: Navarre,Santa Rosa,FL
Good "Always on, very reliable"
Bad "FAP policy"
Overall "Satellite is not for everyone. High volume users and gamers need to check first."

We are approaching nine years on satellite (presently Hughes Net),
starting years ago with Direc-PC. Through the years we have found this
service to be quite reliable when used for what it is designed to do;
provide quality higher speed internet access in area where other modes
are not available. Hughes Net is particularly valuable in the aftermath
of hurricanes and other major disasters. Cable and DSL can be down for
weeks after the event, and cellular becomes quickly overloaded for
internet purposes. We have always been back up on the air almost
immediately with generator power. It took neighbors weeks to get their
internet service restored. We are not really impressed with the FAP
caps, but we understand why it is necessary. We have only been capped by
FAP once in nine years. My wife and I are on the net hours a day, every
day. We are and have been very pleased with our satellite service
through Hughes Net.

Navarre, FL USA

********************* "I lift things up and I put them down."
******************** *

(review was emailed from domain hughes.net)

Comments:

Review by LouV See Profile

• Location: Rockville,Parke,IN
Good "Works as advertised"
Bad "Latency"
Overall "Works in the country, beats dial-up"
(ratings well above consensus)

I've had Hughesnet for about 2 months now and it has worked really great. Just about any time I do a speed test it is always at the advertised speed, even on the weekends and evenings. I only lost signal one time during a very heavy rainstorm. Hughesnet was out less that my DishTV was. We get a lot of fog here and it has not impacted the service.

The installation was done by a local dealer, Line of Sight in Terre Haute. The installation only took 2 days from order to service. Installer spent some time finding a good installation site and found a nice hole between 2 trees that will not get filled in for years. He spent quite a bit of time tuning the dish and I have a very strong signal,192-200 usually. He was also able to hide the dish pretty much on the back side of the roof. The installation was very neat.

I got this because it was about the only high speed service I could get except for Wildblue. I am glad I chose Hughesnet. I have never come close to the FAP yet and the Hughesnet download scheduler has been able to handle any of the big downloads for me.

The latency is bad, but once the data starts coming it is quite fast. I have the Home Plan and it meets my needs quite well.