HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by Scooberto See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Mail,DNS,News:

Hughesnet is a TOTAL JOKE. They should be sued for false advertisement. The connection is sporadic and slow as Christmas. The customer service is a joke as well. They say the Internet speed was slow because we exceeded data allowance. So why was is slow on the first day of the new billing cycle? Then they say it's my fault for not letting them know they SUCK. Now I'm to pay 236.oo early termination fee.

Comments:

Starr80

@charter.com

Hughes net fraud do not buy

I agree with the comments made except they are not strong enough! When you talk to the Philippine's (and you will) you will wait for long periods and get someone with a tenuous grasp of English who will transfer you to "management" then you will be disconnected to start the process all over again these people are crooks you can sue them in your area by contacting there corporate registered agent in your state,call the state licensing office for that info, its usually an attorney office, sue in small claims and they will loose because there rep will not show up,you win and can use your state rules to hound Hughes net.

Review by daylily20 See Profile

• Location: Providence Forge,New Kent,VA
Overall "contract cost $59.99 a month"

I live in Providence Forge, Virginia 23140. I have had Wild Blue by Via Sat for 5 years and have been robbed by them the whole time and want to change. So I called Hughes net on Friday January 16, 2015 and told them what I have looked at on their site and that I had already put in my physical address and zip code and I qualified for a three month discount on the package we discussed.

The sales person immediately asked for my zip code and physical address, and came up with "Sir, I am sorry but because of the high concentration in your area we do not offer a discount." My nearest neighbor is over 200 yards away from my house and the next closest neighbor is a half a mile. This is a clear use of BAIT AND SWITCH. We then tell him ok that is not important and we agree on a plan and compute an initial cost for installation and start up with us purchasing the equiptment for $299.98 and a plan for $59.99 with a total cost of $359.97. After coming up with this figure I ask if he agrees with this total cost on which he acknowledges " Yes $359.97 is the total set up cost." Then he gives us a confirmation number 7986479 and informs us that installation has been set up for Tuesday January 20, 2015 from 1 to 5 PM. I then tell him that I would appreciate him E-mailing me the information on what we had agreed on. We feel we are going to finally find a decent internet service provider.

The next morning my wife calls our bank to go over our billing and is shocked to find that the charge from HUGHES NET is not $359.97 but $459.97.She informs them that this is an incorrect amount and she will call back.

Hughes net shows no state or city address, but it does give phone business hours as eastern standard time and with those phone numbers, we then have an hour to wait for them to open. My wife and I have made up our minds that with this sloppy initial business error we cannot see Hughes net being any better than Wild Blue net so we decided to cancel the contract. The call is placed and we select cancellation, and then wait for approximately two minutes for someone to come on the line who ask for our last name and first name which I give to them after which I also say I'm in Virginia, where are you and I'm told I'm in the PHILIPPINES. We are given a confirmation number and give her our E-mail and hang up. Now we wait for our account to show a credit from Hughes Net.

Comments:

garyburk

@direcpc.com

Hughesnet Satellite

Satellite connectivity or dial-up are the only option on our Colorado mountain. Hughesnet commercial usually works and with slow to modest speeds. I average 7 Mb/s down and 0.3 Mb/s up. It's quite expensive for my 50GB daytime + 10GB anytime plan plus more for guaranteed one day service.
The customer service via phone is dreadful to work with, being tedious, slow, always with a long wait, and frequently supplying the wrong info from a language challenged representative. However, with patience and persistence, it usually does get the issue resolved. Just expect several frustrating hours of getting transferred to different Reps who then ask for the same info you've tediously supplied to the previous Rep. After 3 or 4 different Reps, the problem is usually resolved.

Review by ABG444 See Profile

• Location: Cedartown,Polk,GA
Bad "Worst"
Overall "Worst"

BAD COMPANY.

Bottom line: If you can get internet service with anyone else then go with anyone else. Hughes advertises "Broadband Unbound" when in fact you pay for broadband that is Bound and Gagged.

Hughes is absolutely the worst company that we have ever dealt with, bar none. There is no need for Hughes to have a call-in support or customer service because they provide neither support or service. They blame everything on their customer.

These are Hughes traits: slow broadband, unfair Fair Access Policy (FAP), rollover of unused allowance that does NOT roll over, daily allowance that you will learn to not use or else, high cost for low quality, Hughes is not regulated by FCC or anyone else so they do what they want to you, broadband does not work in bad weather, no credit to the customer for down-time due to bad weather, support persons in a third world country that you cannot understand AND MUCH, MUCH MORE BAD STUFF.

Comments:
davidhoffman
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

HUGHESNET

Sorry to read that you got involved with HughesNet. As I am sure you found out by looking at the reviews, satellite ISPs are not highly thought of. If you can terminate the service without penalty there might be some better options. You might want to look at using a cellular service for your ISP. I noticed you are near Cedartown,GA. You might want to explore using Verizon Wireless as an internet service.

Review by AofB See Profile

• Location: Mineral,Louisa,VA
Good "Mostly works"
Bad "Data cap, online support"
Overall "meh"

Order and install went OK in August, 2013.

Started with Power plan: 10/1 Mbps, 10 GB anytime, 10 GB bonus time. $50/month.

Upgraded to Power Pro: 10/2 Mbps, 15/15 GB. $70/month.

Upgraded to Power Max: 15/2 Mbps, 20/20 GB. $130/month.

Since I have a computer, laptop, smartphone, tablet and smart TV all on WiFi, this data cap still hurts. Unfortunately, I live where there is no DSL, FiOS or cable.

Comments:

Denise

HUGHES NET..... JOKE !!!

Hughes net is such a joke, they charge you by the month and then have their Leases Obtained/Expire EVERY HOUR.... with this you loose at least 20 minutes, I have this wrote down for a couple days when it worked and when I lost all internet and when the hours CHANGED FOR LEASES....

This is BS company, when you call them and tell them the problems you are having, one they don't know why the DETAILS are like that, two, how you got there, three, IT IS YOUR COMPUTER.... Well funny on #3 because when I disconnect this garbage from my computer it works like a dream.... ;(

I wrote HUGHES NET an email to the same email that I received my contract this month because I have heard about the problems that people have getting HUGHES NET TO STOP USING YOUR DEBIT CARD, and told them I sent bank same email, which I DID... I let them know that my EXPIRATION DATE has CHANGED and since you will not have that you can't CHARGE MY DEBIT CARD, and if they do charge it, it will be ILLEGAL and they will be responsible for paying it back, telling them that I DO NOT WANT HUGHES NET ANYMORE..... and this month has been worse, won't even let page come up most times, and takes their time getting it up.... HUGHES NET SUCKS......

DoodB

@97.122.240.x

Re: HUGHES NET..... JOKE !!!

everything he says is correct Hughes net is the worst internet around! i have never had a connection last long enough to count anything done on the internet as successful. I think its the worst experience I have ever had with a service.

Stuffy

@69.35.211.x
I feel you Running a monopoly in the country I had soooo many probs they told me Next month I had no bill SMH I got cut off and now they are telling me I owe $176.00 For real unbelievable But it can be recorded where is the 3 recordings in 3 different instances when they told me I had no bill Then when their zone updates and their web updates it takes away from are MG WTF I am so sick and tiered of no unlimited I am not use to this How about launch another or 55,000 satellites to get your family business up and running correctly

Re: HUGHES NET..... JOKE !!!

yeah, they told me that I would have some money taken off of my bill cause I didn't have internet for almost 2 weeks, guess what... $42.99... some government discounted high speed internet.... To me there is so many types of internet we should be getting wifi for cheap now... but as we were told by VERIZON, FRONTIER because we live in rural area we would never be able to get the cheap wifi like the big cities do.... bullshit

mtishalewis

@206.255.248.x
hughes net tricked me, they do all that fastatlking over the phone about your contract on purpose so they can sneak things by you, like that the price goes up after a monthof service, they took money out of my account without permsission and would not refund it, only gave me credit towards next bills(which is not what iw anted i wanted my money), then they send you the box to return eqipment then want youy to go on the roof to remove the satellite , they have lost there minds, now they send me a $700 bill from a collection agency! worst thing ive gotten into

Re: HUGHES NET..... JOKE !!!

fight the debt collector bill for $700, all you really have to do is make them get the bills out and show that you owe that...

Review by SavvyGal See Profile

• Location: Avinger,Cass,TX
Good "I got nothing"
Bad "they have a monopoly"
Overall "dial-up might be better"
Mail,DNS,News:

Problems! DNS lookup error, clouds prevent connection, daily allotment that you get penalized for using most of, CSR doesn't know anything and all problems are someone else's fault.

DNS lookup error... you have to type every website in more than once to go to it after getting the DNS page. This has been a problem for more than 2 years, and customer service still walks you through the same ineffective steps. Then frustration sets in.

You are spoon-fed a percent of your allowance daily, and if you use more than half of that, you don't get the full amount the next day. So basically you are getting about half of what you pay for. It will take you a couple of days (or more) to watch a movie.

The company offers service where no one else is, so they have a monopoly. If you get tired of their abuse and leave, they don't care - someone else will pay them when you stop.

Comments:
jazzel

join:2014-09-18

satellite internet sucks

Yes I had satellite internet for 4 years. ( Yes no cable or dsl) Horrible!! Watch 1 youtube video and they crank you down to dial up speeds!!! I had to lie to them when I switched to that verizon handheld modem. ($80 for 10GB)
I lied saying I was moving to an apartment and couldn't have a dish .. I did this because I knew they would screw me by continuing to Bill me when I quit them.
Expand your moderator at work

Pissed

@70.196.133.x

Hughes net

The worst company ever! They came out and said we had to cut down a tree before he could put the satellite up and left. Said he would return Monday. We cut down the tree and he never returned. We called and called and called. They said we cancelled services. Which we didn't. They said they would send someone else. Two weeks later, get a call. They can't do service in our area. That's funny because the neighbors have Hughes net. You have signs all over our neighborhood. They won't even reimburse the money they were prepaid for services. Worst company ever!!!!

Piles

@174.236.1.x

Re: Hughes net

Worst customer service on face of planet

MonCher

@66.249.83.x

So happy I read the reviews. ...

I thought I had it bad with AT&T DSL. I have problems about every 3 months I have to have a guy come out and re-wire. I've had this service about 18mos and had 4 or 5 guys out to do various repairs (the last time it went down twice in one day!) I can only get the lowest, basic speed in my zip code area but at least I can stream Netflix, Amazon & Hulu Plus. In fact the AT&T peops said I shouldn't be able to stream. Then they said I must have a lot of downloading and I said "No, I can watch the video all the way through --- no pixilation, no chronic downloading."
I was seriously considering getting Hughsnet until I read all the bad reviews. Thank God for reviews! I guess AT&T isn't so bad after all.

Paulakc

@69.35.168.x

Slow and expensive

OMG Hughesnet is the WORST service EVER. We pay triple what we had with our cable company before we moved and are limited on our service. In 2 weeks we used up our usage and now I had to upgrade to more expensive plan with them just to keep family happy. IT IS A SHAME THAT HUGHESNET KNOWS THEY CAN CHARGE AN UNREALISTIC AMOUNT FOR LESS SERVICE just because no one else offers any service in the area. I will pay the $400 dollars to cancel with them in an instant as soon as ATT or Directv offer internet. You would think the government would regulate them, they do everything else.

nadeen

@69.35.160.x

Re: Slow and expensive

direct tv does not have it's own internet provider and so they refer you to hughes net so you can get a $10.00 bundle savings. that's the only reason i got hughes net. been with them 3 months nd about to write corporate because im not paying $400.00 for an early disconnect fee. weather it says it on a contract or not by law you do now have to pay for early disconnect.

nadeen

@69.35.160.x

Re: Slow and expensive

mistake.. last line above i meant to say you do NOT have to pay for early disconnect.

Review by cmasterson See Profile

• Location: Cee Vee,Cottle,TX
Good "It ususally works"
Bad "Often runs slow - less than dial up speed"
Overall "May be all you can get in a remote area."

The service runs slow very sporadically and their customer service always says it is someone else's problem. Sometimes it can be fixed by unplugging the modem. Sometimes it is fixed by unplugging the wireless router they supplied. Sometimes it is something else.

Comments:

fuck them

@70.197.174.x

hopelessnet

FUCK THIS COMPANY!! Haven't had service in weeks!!!!
lrymal

join:2004-02-24
Joaquin, TX
·HughesNet Satell..

Same situation - rural

So rural that student conduct book explains where students are required to park horse-drawn carriages, or their horses (by the Ag shop).

No cell, no DSL, no microwave, no connectivity at all except through the satellite. Within that context, HughesNet does a fairly good job. Downtime has been minimal, but again, this is satellite connectivity with the ills associated with that (primarily latency).

srensen

@173.225.158.x

Re: Same situation - rural

So glad I decided to look at the reviews before signing up! According to everybody on this forum, this company should be out of business! Thank you all for your honest opinions. My decision has been made...NO THANK YOU!!!

disappointed

@72.168.98.x
I know what you mean. I have had this service for two months and dialup would certainly be faster. Not to mention that i have a huge dish on my roof.....with no payoff. I would not reccommend this to anyone.

ksadlsor

@69.35.177.x

hughesnet

Way too expensive for the service. 3 more expensive than other providers. My $40 plan costs $120 per month.

Review by nvr2loud See Profile

• Location: Niagara,Marinette,WI
Good "Only good if you live in the middle of nowhere."
Bad "Long lag time, You only get 5 gig during the day and the rest between 2a.m. and 8a.m."
Overall "Not worth the money..."
Mail,DNS,News:

I got this as a package deal with my satellite tv and was under the idea it was going to be one dish not two. I signed up for the $60 dollar plan which is 15 gig but they didn't tell me it was split 5 gig anytime and 10 gig between 2a.m. and 8a.m. so it makes it hard to stream a movie. The installer shows up in a beat up suv and brings his girlfriend to help who is not licensed to do the work was a hassle to run the wire into the room. They complained that they had to install the dish on a pole and it comes out of their pocket and left a mess and didn't bury the cable to the house stating the satellite tv guy would probably put his there too. He came while they were finishing up and thought they looked shady so he called and did a check on them and was nice enough to clean up their mess.

Comments:

Tim1959

@50.120.88.x

Hughes Net Major Rip Off!

I recently signed up for Hughes Net and found the service slow. I called within the 30 day trial period to cancel. Hughes Net Customer Service offered to extend my trial period by 30 days and to give me their best service for that 30 days to try and convince me to stay with them. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS! I called back after 25 days and told them I wanted to cancel my service because the internet service was still slow and poor. 2 weeks later I noticed a bill on my credit card for $400! I called Hughes Net and asked what this was for and they told me it was a early termination fee. This is down right stealing since they were the ones to extend my trial period which I really didn't want anyway. DO NOT FALL FOR ANY "WE WANT TO KEEP YOU" TALK FROM THESE PEOPLE! THEY ARE NOT HONEST!

honestreview

@69.35.195.x

Hughes Net is a rip off

Your data is limited monthly which is terrible because by playing one online game or if you stream shows your internet is sucked up by the middle of the month and then they try to charge you an extra $10 per gig after that... i call bull. Not to mention how terrible the service is. I don't know if they messed up setting up our satellite or if it's just that bad but with the same router we've had it reaches half the distance through the house and then the fastest download speeds i've ever gotten was 1mb/s and right now i am getting 10kb/s. for those of you who don't know THAT'S 1/100th OF 1mb/s and 1mb is still terrible. Ruined everything for us because we couldn't watch on demand (which requires internet). DO NOT USE THEM

Review by smartin See Profile

• Location: USA
Overall "Worst service I have ever had"

I have only had this service a lil over 2 mos. After the first 3 wks I called them because my service was EXTREMELY slow, was told I needed a larger plan - as I am not familiar with any of this I stupidly agreed. For the next 2 weeks things were fine, I could easily do what I needed on my laptop. Then we went on vacation, no one at our home for 3 weeks. I get back from vacation 2 days ago and again service slow to nonexistent. I called and was told we had used all our GB and were on dial up. My question to them was HOW?? - we have been on vacation. So as of tomorrow I will no longer be using HughesNet.

Comments:

Review by Hufster65 See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "None service sucks tools suck customer service sucks!"
Bad "Horrible rip off!!!"
Overall "Not worth the time or money"
Mail,DNS,News:

Not even close to the speeds they quote you! so angry and such a rip off! I don't expect speeds close to what any Internet service provider quotes you but this is ridiculous. They quoted my 5 Mbps download speeds and the most Ive ever been able to get was 1.6 Mbps. I worked in IT for 10 years designing, implementing, supporting everything networking solutions, storage solutions, security, database solutions for a fortune 50 company that was huge. I called about slow internet speeds and they told me everything was fine and that I was getting good speeds out of their service. They sold me I was getting better than their 5 Mbps download speed and when I measure it I only get max of 1.6 Mbps. I inquired about how they measure your speeds several times and finally got them to commit that they measure the speeds between the satellite dish and the device they provide you with. I ran several tests and the response time and download speeds suck compared to DSL. The tech support person I spoke with kept telling me that I need to remember that the signal is going miles above the earth and that is why the response time (ping times) are so slow. Pinging several sites and downloading files of a given size can provide you with this information and download speeds. The website DSL reports »/tools also has a calculator and speed test which you can use to calculate how long a file should take to download of a given size and tools which will provide you with a more accuarate tool to measure your actual download speeds. I told the rep that I don't care if they have 100Mbps connection between their device and the satellite it doesn't matter if I can't download at the speeds they quoted me. I also added that they are misadvertising what they are providing to customers they are flat out lying about it. So let me ask everyone here. Would you care what the speeds are between their satellite and the device they provide you are if they can't get close to those speeds when you are actually downloading from the internet to your computer? I think they are actually padding the data usage amounts as well. I took their reports from their website tools and put them into a spread sheet and totaled them and it was much less than what they told me I had used. Their solution was to have me upgrade to the next package. I said why would I want to upgrade to the next larger and faster account because that would only compound their ability to rip me off????

If anyone else has had this issue I would love to hear about their experiences......

Comments:

TRACY21525

@69.35.200.x

DO NOT BUY

TO BE SIMPLE AND TO THE POINT, THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENTS LIE TO YOU TO GET YOU TO STAY. THEIR INTERNET SERVICE SUCKS! ITS NOT FOR A FAMILY HOME! FAIR WATNING STAY AWAY!!!
Hufster65

join:2014-07-27
USA
·HughesNet Satell..

Newest Update! Can't even post to their forum!!! ARG!!!

I've been trying to post negative content on their forum every time I try it just keeps prompting me to login and loops over and over again. Convenient? I think not. At first I thought maybe I had to wait a day before I could post. Not the case I've waited 2. It's also funny that their own bandwidth tool on their own website doesn't work and their reports for data consumption is way over exaggerated. I've got about 7 days left until my month is up and I'll be cancelling their service before then.

AGAIN DO NOT PATRONIZE THIS BUSINESS THEY ARE CROOKS!!

I am returned to my old DSL service provider after my 12 year old daughter complained to me over and over again that the Internet was so slow. So I went back to my 1 Mbps connection which is faster than Hughesnet who quoted me 5 Mbps and their tools they used said I was getting 6 Mbps.

I hope other people read this and don't get caught past their 30 days and be locked into their contract. I wasn't born yesterday I've worked in IT for many years and this company is praying on customers who just accept that they are getting what they say you are.

Review by dkim1961 See Profile

• Location: Coalgate,Coal,OK
Good "Good for Country Dwellers"
Bad "VERY VERY expensive"
Overall "If you live in the country, this is your best bet"

·Dish Network
I got the 20 gig per month package with an additional 20 gigs to be used between 2 am and 8 am. This is costing me $150 per month which is auto deducted from my checking. You can log into a website that allows you to keep track of how much data you are using and even gives you a count down till your refill day.

The installer was excellent! Very knowledgeable and even gave me his cell number.

I have had Hughes Net for about 2 months. So far I have not had any problems with the service except during a storm. During the storm I had no internet but the next morning when the storm blew over I had internet again. I am used to Verizon FIOS and compared to them Hughes Net is a little slow. However it is much much much faster than dial up AND I can stream movies. Their customer service is not very knowledgeable and their people are lazy. When my service went out during the storm I called them. They decided to send a tech out to troubleshoot my service. The next day my internet service started working again. I called them back to cancel the service appointment and the lady obviously did not know how to do that. She told me to just let them come out and then tell them my service was working. That seems ridiculous and I told her so. She put me on hold for 5 minutes and said appointment was cancelled. Guess what... the next day the service technician showed up to fix my internet. They are better than dial up but they are very expensive. You have to pay for data I have 20 gigs anytime and an additional 20 gigs from 2 am to 8 am. This costs $150 per month. Yes you did hear that right. So again, if you have any alternatives besides Hughes Net you probably want to go with them. But as a last resort they are passable. Just very expensive!

Comments:

RU SERIOUS

@72.171.24.x

Hughes Net

What a joke...it's been a year now since my kids ordered this crap... So far they changed the dish(putting 6 more holes in my roof) changed the modem, told us we needed a new computer (which of course got purchased). My wife's spent 100s of hours on the phone, their "technician" has been to the house 4 or 5 times, changed the receiver, the wiring, and the modem again..... AND it still works ONCE in a Great While.....BUT THER"S NOTHING WRONG !????? KMA... And of course its a 2 year contract whether it works or NOT... DO NOT... REPEAT.... DO NOT get this no service, service. Sincerely; R U SERIUOS ! The damn thing just went down again while I was in the middle of ........