HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by cmasterson See Profile

• Location: Cee Vee,Cottle,TX
Good "It ususally works"
Bad "Often runs slow - less than dial up speed"
Overall "May be all you can get in a remote area."

The service runs slow very sporadically and their customer service always says it is someone else's problem. Sometimes it can be fixed by unplugging the modem. Sometimes it is fixed by unplugging the wireless router they supplied. Sometimes it is something else.

Comments:

fuck them

@70.197.174.x

hopelessnet

FUCK THIS COMPANY!! Haven't had service in weeks!!!!

Review by nvr2loud See Profile

• Location: Niagara,Marinette,WI
Good "Only good if you live in the middle of nowhere."
Bad "Long lag time, You only get 5 gig during the day and the rest between 2a.m. and 8a.m."
Overall "Not worth the money..."
Mail,DNS,News:

I got this as a package deal with my satellite tv and was under the idea it was going to be one dish not two. I signed up for the $60 dollar plan which is 15 gig but they didn't tell me it was split 5 gig anytime and 10 gig between 2a.m. and 8a.m. so it makes it hard to stream a movie. The installer shows up in a beat up suv and brings his girlfriend to help who is not licensed to do the work was a hassle to run the wire into the room. They complained that they had to install the dish on a pole and it comes out of their pocket and left a mess and didn't bury the cable to the house stating the satellite tv guy would probably put his there too. He came while they were finishing up and thought they looked shady so he called and did a check on them and was nice enough to clean up their mess.

Comments:

Tim1959

@50.120.88.x

Hughes Net Major Rip Off!

I recently signed up for Hughes Net and found the service slow. I called within the 30 day trial period to cancel. Hughes Net Customer Service offered to extend my trial period by 30 days and to give me their best service for that 30 days to try and convince me to stay with them. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS! I called back after 25 days and told them I wanted to cancel my service because the internet service was still slow and poor. 2 weeks later I noticed a bill on my credit card for $400! I called Hughes Net and asked what this was for and they told me it was a early termination fee. This is down right stealing since they were the ones to extend my trial period which I really didn't want anyway. DO NOT FALL FOR ANY "WE WANT TO KEEP YOU" TALK FROM THESE PEOPLE! THEY ARE NOT HONEST!

honestreview

@69.35.195.x

Hughes Net is a rip off

Your data is limited monthly which is terrible because by playing one online game or if you stream shows your internet is sucked up by the middle of the month and then they try to charge you an extra $10 per gig after that... i call bull. Not to mention how terrible the service is. I don't know if they messed up setting up our satellite or if it's just that bad but with the same router we've had it reaches half the distance through the house and then the fastest download speeds i've ever gotten was 1mb/s and right now i am getting 10kb/s. for those of you who don't know THAT'S 1/100th OF 1mb/s and 1mb is still terrible. Ruined everything for us because we couldn't watch on demand (which requires internet). DO NOT USE THEM

Review by smartin See Profile

• Location: USA
Overall "Worst service I have ever had"

I have only had this service a lil over 2 mos. After the first 3 wks I called them because my service was EXTREMELY slow, was told I needed a larger plan - as I am not familiar with any of this I stupidly agreed. For the next 2 weeks things were fine, I could easily do what I needed on my laptop. Then we went on vacation, no one at our home for 3 weeks. I get back from vacation 2 days ago and again service slow to nonexistent. I called and was told we had used all our GB and were on dial up. My question to them was HOW?? - we have been on vacation. So as of tomorrow I will no longer be using HughesNet.

Comments:

Review by Hufster65 See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "None service sucks tools suck customer service sucks!"
Bad "Horrible rip off!!!"
Overall "Not worth the time or money"
Mail,DNS,News:

Not even close to the speeds they quote you! so angry and such a rip off! I don't expect speeds close to what any Internet service provider quotes you but this is ridiculous. They quoted my 5 Mbps download speeds and the most Ive ever been able to get was 1.6 Mbps. I worked in IT for 10 years designing, implementing, supporting everything networking solutions, storage solutions, security, database solutions for a fortune 50 company that was huge. I called about slow internet speeds and they told me everything was fine and that I was getting good speeds out of their service. They sold me I was getting better than their 5 Mbps download speed and when I measure it I only get max of 1.6 Mbps. I inquired about how they measure your speeds several times and finally got them to commit that they measure the speeds between the satellite dish and the device they provide you with. I ran several tests and the response time and download speeds suck compared to DSL. The tech support person I spoke with kept telling me that I need to remember that the signal is going miles above the earth and that is why the response time (ping times) are so slow. Pinging several sites and downloading files of a given size can provide you with this information and download speeds. The website DSL reports »/tools also has a calculator and speed test which you can use to calculate how long a file should take to download of a given size and tools which will provide you with a more accuarate tool to measure your actual download speeds. I told the rep that I don't care if they have 100Mbps connection between their device and the satellite it doesn't matter if I can't download at the speeds they quoted me. I also added that they are misadvertising what they are providing to customers they are flat out lying about it. So let me ask everyone here. Would you care what the speeds are between their satellite and the device they provide you are if they can't get close to those speeds when you are actually downloading from the internet to your computer? I think they are actually padding the data usage amounts as well. I took their reports from their website tools and put them into a spread sheet and totaled them and it was much less than what they told me I had used. Their solution was to have me upgrade to the next package. I said why would I want to upgrade to the next larger and faster account because that would only compound their ability to rip me off????

If anyone else has had this issue I would love to hear about their experiences......

Comments:

TRACY21525

@69.35.200.x

DO NOT BUY

TO BE SIMPLE AND TO THE POINT, THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENTS LIE TO YOU TO GET YOU TO STAY. THEIR INTERNET SERVICE SUCKS! ITS NOT FOR A FAMILY HOME! FAIR WATNING STAY AWAY!!!
Hufster65

join:2014-07-27
USA
·HughesNet Satell..

Newest Update! Can't even post to their forum!!! ARG!!!

I've been trying to post negative content on their forum every time I try it just keeps prompting me to login and loops over and over again. Convenient? I think not. At first I thought maybe I had to wait a day before I could post. Not the case I've waited 2. It's also funny that their own bandwidth tool on their own website doesn't work and their reports for data consumption is way over exaggerated. I've got about 7 days left until my month is up and I'll be cancelling their service before then.

AGAIN DO NOT PATRONIZE THIS BUSINESS THEY ARE CROOKS!!

I am returned to my old DSL service provider after my 12 year old daughter complained to me over and over again that the Internet was so slow. So I went back to my 1 Mbps connection which is faster than Hughesnet who quoted me 5 Mbps and their tools they used said I was getting 6 Mbps.

I hope other people read this and don't get caught past their 30 days and be locked into their contract. I wasn't born yesterday I've worked in IT for many years and this company is praying on customers who just accept that they are getting what they say you are.

Review by dkim1961 See Profile

• Location: Coalgate,Coal,OK
Good "Good for Country Dwellers"
Bad "VERY VERY expensive"
Overall "If you live in the country, this is your best bet"

·Dish Network
I got the 20 gig per month package with an additional 20 gigs to be used between 2 am and 8 am. This is costing me $150 per month which is auto deducted from my checking. You can log into a website that allows you to keep track of how much data you are using and even gives you a count down till your refill day.

The installer was excellent! Very knowledgeable and even gave me his cell number.

I have had Hughes Net for about 2 months. So far I have not had any problems with the service except during a storm. During the storm I had no internet but the next morning when the storm blew over I had internet again. I am used to Verizon FIOS and compared to them Hughes Net is a little slow. However it is much much much faster than dial up AND I can stream movies. Their customer service is not very knowledgeable and their people are lazy. When my service went out during the storm I called them. They decided to send a tech out to troubleshoot my service. The next day my internet service started working again. I called them back to cancel the service appointment and the lady obviously did not know how to do that. She told me to just let them come out and then tell them my service was working. That seems ridiculous and I told her so. She put me on hold for 5 minutes and said appointment was cancelled. Guess what... the next day the service technician showed up to fix my internet. They are better than dial up but they are very expensive. You have to pay for data I have 20 gigs anytime and an additional 20 gigs from 2 am to 8 am. This costs $150 per month. Yes you did hear that right. So again, if you have any alternatives besides Hughes Net you probably want to go with them. But as a last resort they are passable. Just very expensive!

Comments:

RU SERIOUS

@72.171.24.x

Hughes Net

What a joke...it's been a year now since my kids ordered this crap... So far they changed the dish(putting 6 more holes in my roof) changed the modem, told us we needed a new computer (which of course got purchased). My wife's spent 100s of hours on the phone, their "technician" has been to the house 4 or 5 times, changed the receiver, the wiring, and the modem again..... AND it still works ONCE in a Great While.....BUT THER"S NOTHING WRONG !????? KMA... And of course its a 2 year contract whether it works or NOT... DO NOT... REPEAT.... DO NOT get this no service, service. Sincerely; R U SERIUOS ! The damn thing just went down again while I was in the middle of ........

Review by InfoSeeker5 See Profile

Good "ZERO"
Bad "Everything slow, expensive, worst customer service"
Overall "Last resort only"
Mail,DNS,News:

Offered GEN4 to new customers at less than half what they forced their current customers to pay.

Installation: Installer put in bedroom, didn't want it there wanted in living room. He said it would be better connection. Told me to go buy Cat6 cables and run it myself from satellite to other side of house. I told him again, put in living room. He didn't do it. 2 1/2 years going back and forth with Hughes, they still won't move the router. Lights blaring no way to suppress.

Speed: Slow slow and more so.

Billing: ONLY can pay bill direct bill AND they get to choose the date they take the money out of account. Can't change date, can't change to pay it yourself online. Pver 100 a month.

WANT TO SWITCH. Begging Verizon to install dsl lines; but too far away to justify the costs................

Comments:

Harold

@24.10.59.x

Internet/phone

Was told many good things about their service. Had ii only 5 hours and found out none of it works as promised. Then cancelled contract and was told I would get back all but $25.00 ($263.93) for handling charges which I didn't like but what the heck. They sent box prepaid except for one it item which I had to ship back at a cost of $13.00. Waited one week after they had received the equipment and called to find out where my refund was at. I guess if it was left to them I would have never seen a dime. So then I was told I would get back $91.00. So I ask what happen to the other almost $200. and was told there was taxes. Wow that much tax huh. Bottom line is they will tell you anything but deliver on nothing. Then lie about everything in between. So after 30 minutes on a cell phone I will end up with $163. and change as there is now it seems a $99.00 non refundable charge. Gee still another new thing to add.. End of story get Comcast ever at sorry as they are, they just cheat you but they don't lie to you.

Pissedoff

@72.171.192.x

Disappointed

Terrible! Called for 2 months complaining it doesn't work. Download speed .086. They just keep blaming my router or smartphone, computers. Told them I wanted to cancel if they won't fix it, they said I was stuck for 2 years. They do not make service calls. You are screwed!

Jjac

@72.171.192.x

Take them to court

Download speed .086. Unusable
They said tough shit I'm in a 2 yr. contract.

david archof

@69.35.200.x

mad

NEVER GET HUGHES NET! It is the worst internet provider I have ever had! First of all, I dont even know when I get more data to use because of how terrible their customer service is, but with my experience, I am pretty sure that I have okay internet speed for all but two weeks of a month and i even have the best plan with the most data you can get. Right now, I am still waiting for the wonderful day when my two year contract runs out and I can lose Hughes net and get a better internet provider that is not a ripoff! PLEASE DO NOT GET HUGHES NET!

K Family

@130.76.96.x

Re: mad

I completely agree - THE WORST ISP I have ever had, including overseas locations where I have lived. If I had an alternative I would gladly cancel and pay the termination fee.

Az Family

@72.168.96.x

Horable Highesnet!!!

Never again! This company is a RIP OFF! They lied about the coverage, the pricing and the terms. Refused to send me copies of documents I was promised. CAN'T WAIT TILL IT ENDS. This is the worst provider ever!!! and I've used Dish, Century Link, and Direct TV. I'm going back to Dish Network

Review by prfgadget See Profile

• Location: Oakland City,Gibson,IN
Good "Better than DIal Up"
Bad "Tech support worst unless you can get to the "Executive Level""
Overall "Better than no Internet (or Dial Up) but still needs a lot of work !"
Mail,DNS,News:

Got HN on the Gov. Plan 5 years ago and can't see any reason to up-grade after reading the troubles others are having with "GEN 4" .
Equipment provided is a HN-9000 and dish/transceiver.
Everything went along fine for the first 3 or so years then started getting "FAP'ed" for no apparent reason.
After MANY calls to "TECH NON-SUPPORT" (about a years worth) was finally connected to "EXECUTIVE SUPPORT" , after much discussion , 3 dish re-alignment's , 3 different HN-9000 modems and a new transceiver out on the dish the system is still not as good as the original installation was.
I must Credit their "EXECUTIVE SUPPORT" people with finally getting something done (it only took a year to get through to them) .
Although my system is "NOT QUITE RIGHT" yet it is still better than it was.
If I could get a different service in here without having the same installer in here I would.

Comments:

EXcustomer

@66.87.79.x

Hughesnet

This is the only way I could comment. This is by far the worst and most expensive internet I've ever had. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. I would go weeks without service and the techs could never resolve the situation. Most of them spoke very little english. I could not even stream a movie when I did have service. Dial up is faster than this. They refused to credit my account no matter how many times I called them over not having service. I could not work from home. I would have to go starbucks to work. They talked me into an auto bill pay when I first signed up and then refused to turn off the auto bill pay even after double charging me and screwing up my bank account. Then when I finally had had enough and told them to shut it off, they charged me for another month (even after I told them to shut off the auto billpay) then waited two weeks and charged me another 200 dollars. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY!!! Service is extremely slow (dial up is faster) Customer service is the worst I've ever seen ( That was a hard title to take from Sprint but these guys managed to do it) The majority of the people that work their speak little to no english ( Which means they dont understand things like, "my internet is so slow the page times out before it loads) $84 is an awful lot to pay for internet especially when it doesn't work. And if you do take the plunge, DO NOT LET THEM PUT YOU ON AUTO BILL PAY. THEY WILL FUCK YOUR BANK ACCOUNT UP!!!!!

Review by zactech See Profile

• Location: Marlboro,Ulster,NY
Good "worked as advertised at times"
Bad "god awfull level 1 customer service level 2 must be paid for they wanted $99.00 I was able to get one free session."
Overall "jury is still out"
Mail,DNS,News:

Fist month worked as advertised minimal issues.

Second month had to start rebooting the modem every 3 to 24 hours. Started calling tech support after two weeks of this issue they found no issues and assumed it was an issue with my equipment. After two more weeks of this I stared to call any time I had to reboot the modem to document my issues as I suspected an intermittent modem/lns/server issue of some sort.

In my third month of service they finally moved my issue up to level two (level two is a subcontractor they call hometech support), level two call screener bumped me back to level one and they could find any issues once again.

I called again a day later they moved it up to level two but this time they wanted $99.00 bucks to look into the issue with no guarantee of a resolution, I said thanks but no thanks.

I called again for the third time in three days to escalate my issue to level two at no charge after much complaining about these problems to HughesNet on my part. I was able to wrangle a one-time pin number out of HughesNet to be used once with their subcontractor in order to get around their fees. They remoted into my laptop. I noticed that they used »192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/index.cgi?Command=1 when they were trouble shooting my modem. This is an advanced diagnostics screen you will find most help-full for checking your HughesNet modem. The hometechsupport.sutherlandglobal.com phone number is 877-833-1775 and they will diagnose your issues for a fee. Hometechsupport was able to confirm that all my cables/router/switch/computer settings and were correct. The tech at hometechsupport confirmed my suspicion that I was indeed intermittently getting an invalid DNS from the HughesNet server and I would have to pursue the matter further with HughesNet (I am not holding my breath on this based on my previous experiences with them). I will let you know if HughesNet resolve this issue in the future.

Comments:

walt36263

@174.251.98.x

hughes net modem reboot issues

I have seen many complain of the same issue...rebooting modem...this user found issue...dns server overload. Solution is simple....manually change your dns server... 4.2.2.2 is googles dns server...easy to change...
zactech

join:2014-05-26
usa

Re: hughes net modem reboot issues

Thanks Walt I was not aware that one can change their DNS server. I will give it a try.
zactech

join:2014-05-26
usa

Re: hughes net modem reboot issues

I have looked at all the screens I could find in the modem and was unable to find where you adjust the dns server. Does any one know what screen it is on?

Review by Wolfman See Profile

• Location: Transfer,Mercer,PA
Bad "Horrible"
Overall "Don't waste your money"
Mail,DNS,News:

I was limited in internet providers in my area and basically only had the choice of Hughesnet. I was told prior to signing up that I would have 5 gigs of data and 5 gigs of extra data (12am-8am). After I used my allotted amount of data my internet would be "throttled back" but I would not "lose" my ability to access the internet. Well in the five months since I signed up, had the dish installed and started using Hughesnet, I have run out of the 5 gig limit two weeks into each month with nothing more than social media, email and general web surfing. My bill has not been the same from one month to the next varying as much as $10 a month. Customer service talked in circles giving me many reasons why there was such a change from one month to the next in the amount I owed. Once my 5 gigs of data was used up my service was "throttled" back to slower than dial up at 512kbs. Getting online after the service is throttled back is painful and frustrating. I end up using my phone to get online and check email and facebook because even at 3G it is 10x's faster than Hughesnet "throttled" service. Had I known prior to this this that 5 gigs went so fast and their idea of "throttled" back service meant I would sit and wait 5 minutes for a webpage to load, I would have kept using my cell phone and saved the $60 a month. This service reply's on people like me that have no alternative for internet and basically take your money for substandard internet usage. The cost versus the data usage is, in my opinion, a rip off. As soon as I find an alternative I will be stopping service, even if I'm under contract with them. Unless you have no alternative and have no choice, stay as far away from these guys as possible. Very dissatisfied with customer service, internet speeds (even when I have 5 gig's of data available), and super dissatisfied with their "throttled back" speed. I'd rather keep the $60 a month and have no internet than spend the money for nothing.

Comments:

comcastnet

@54.193.213.x

review of reviw

Yikes,
Scared me out of thinking about it after first 3reviews. Bye , bye. No thank you to Hughes .net

lotsaroots

@65.25.119.x

Re: review of reviw

I'm with you! Their card I got in the mail is torn in half, and in the garbage as I speak. NO thank you! Ill stick to Time Warner. At least Ive had no problems with their internet. Ill keep looking tho. I am trying to save money.

Review by Y_Soitenly See Profile

• Location: Morrilton,Conway,AR
Good "It beats Dial-Up, sometimes."
Bad "Having to reboot the Modem often. Tech Support is worthless."
Overall "If any other Broadband was available in my area, I would dump Hughes in a heartbeat."
Mail,DNS,News:

There are no other options in my area for Broadband or I would jump on it.

I've got the basic package at $60.00 a month.

Ordering the equipment was flawless, but the installer didn't ground the dish right. Found this out a couple of years later when I had another installer to come out to realign the dish. He fixed the ground then.

My first equipment was the DW4000 in 2003. Since then I have upgraded Modems 3 times and currently have the HN7000S Modem.

The good experiences is that it beats Dial-Up. The bad is Tech Support is worthless.

Update:

As of 12/8/12 I had Wildblue/Exede installed and dumped Hughesnet.

Hughesnet had gotten almost unusable during the day light hours and it was this way for the last 6 to 8 Months I had it. About the only time I could get anything done on the Internet was late at night when most people were in bed.

After I've had Exede for a while I'll give a review of it, but so far I'm very happy with it.

Comments:

countrylane

@72.171.16.x

terrible connection

Almost 4 weeks ago I got talked into upgrading to Gen4. Was told it would be 10x faster than the service I had. NOT!! I have to continually log out and log back on. I am so unhappy with this and really don't know what to do. HughesNet is absolutely no help at all. Sites will not "connect" and this happens anytime of the day or night. I would never recommend this company to anyone.