HughesNet Satellite Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by stanley_qaz See Profile

• Location: Gilbert,Maricopa,AZ
Overall "This is eleven years out of date, ignore it."

·Cox HSI
No longer use this service but can't delete this badly outdated review. »Site FAQ »I've switched ISPs - Can I delete my old review?

Please ignore it and look at folks that have something more current than eleven years ago. Thanks.

Back in another year to change all the numbers to twelve years... :-(

member for 11.1 years, 4216 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Colo

@rogers.com

slow

I 've found out (through so-called support, and experience) that speed depends on the useage on your beam, or channel, or whatever they call it. I get the advertised speed at 1 AM, but at peak time it has been as slow as 15K. Support said that's the way it is, sorry you thought it would be fast all the time.

upset custom

terrible company

This is the worst internet service I have EVER had. If it wasn't for the fact that we live in a rural area I would immediately disconnect my service and spread the word about your shitty company. Not only did I have $72 taken out of my bank account without my authorization for a bill that I never received, When setting up this account I was NEVER told that the bill would be automatically taken out of my account each month and also was NEVER told that I wouldn't receive a bill in the mail every month. I had NO IDEA that my bill was do because I was never notified, and I never agreed to this. Also I was never told that in order to get a paper bill each month I would have to pay an additional $5 per month. I am extremely upset that you even call yourself a standup company and will do my best that everyone in my community refuses to do any kind of business with your company, I have also contacted my lawyer to see how to further pursue this issue of fraud/theft.

Jan

@direcpc.com

It totally sucks haven't been able to log on it's messed up my computer !

Can't log on at all! Screwed up my computer! And no wifi like they said! Terrible Terrible absolutely terrible! And they want me to continue paying for the 2 dam yrs! That's bull! Why pay for something u can't use?

Ahhh

@166.182.81.x

Hughes Net is awful! Very Displeased. .

I have had Hughes Net for only 2 months, should have been 3 but they were no shows for 3 weeks and kept rescheduling, we have to reboot our router every 3-5 minutes when we are on the Internet because it freezes. I called to cancel my plan today and they wouldn't let me because it somehow got in my husband's name, he had never called Hughes Net nor even talked to anyone from there, it's all under my social and phone number. I even tried talking to the manager and she wouldn't help me, she just kept saying sorry. I let her know how bad their company sucks on customer service and there Internet in general. I am very displeased at how I have been treated through the experience.

Amy456

@suddenlink.net

Worst thief ever

Their Internet is supper slow. unbelievably slow. And you have to cancel it withing week or you will stuck paying for it for a year. Even if after you cancel, they will keep charging you money and customer service never helps. they will say, they will send you boxes to ship the unit back to them, no matter how many times you call, they never send the boxes and just keep charging you more money.

So Slow

@myvzw.com

Horrible Speed

I can't believe how slow the speed is. It is really bad. My kids cannot play their xbox online with their friends because Hughes Net service is so slow. It just lags constantly. Sometimes I need to do online video meetings for work. I have to drive to Starbucks to use their free wifi because Hughes Net is too slow to support it. Rediculous! I feel like we are prisoners of Hughes Net. We are only a few months in to a 24 month agreement. It will cost hundreds of dollars to cancel the service and I have to go up there and uninstall the equipment?!?! Absurd.

Review by goneanddidit See Profile

• Location: Waco,Mclennan,TX
Bad "ALMOST AS BAD AS WILDBLUE!"
Overall "EVERYTHING IN SALES PITCH IS A LIE"
Mail,DNS,News:

Got the GEN4, promised 2mbs upload speed: get .35mbs. Call Customer Service spent 2 hours on Phone and 1.5 of it was on hold. The "Tech" was not an American and so hard to understand. I will all but scream at someone who is thinking of getting Hughesnet (or WildBlue). Hughes net is a prime example of what an Internet Company should not be like! I have Customer Service on speed dial I have to call them so often! I do a system check before calling them and be damned if they ask me to do it again even after I inform them of what procedures I have already taken. Dsl in general is the only thing i found that makes living outside of town a headache.

Comments:
Cybercycle

join:2012-12-23
united state
·HughesNet Satell..

Are you within your 30 day trial period?

Your comments imply that you have experience with using another satellite ISP, so you understand its limitations. If your issues are so bad, then you might want to cancel service if you are within your 30 day trial period. You also imply that you may have DSL available? If so, that is the service you should seriously consider switching to...

Leah

@qwest.net

Hughes Net is a scam

WORST COMPANY AND CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!!!! See the following:
Hughes Net
To whom it may concern,
We started your service on July 29,2013. We were told we would get 10 gig plan with 5 meg per second and the person on the phone said it would be more then enough for us. We not only started service but paid $345.77 to pay for the equipment. In August we called back and let them know that the speed was not fast enough. 1. They told us our equipment was bad, but they never replaced it. 2. They told us if we went to 20 gig plan we would get faster service, which they never mentioned to us the first time. 3. They offered us the 20 gig at the same price as the 10 gig. Later they raised the price and when we called to find out why they said the lower price was only for 3 months. We were never told that.
We have called several times since and talked to several people. I am on the phone right now. We started our call at 10:03am and it is now 11:22am. My husband started talking to someone who passed him on to a manager who said his name was Randy Johnson. I asked to speak to his supervisor and he passed me on to Aurther Garcia. Aurther said he was Randy's supervisor but his title was the same. I asked to speak with Aurther's supervisor and he said he does not know who that is. Why is that?? At this point I am very upset!!!
1. I want our money back that we paid for the equipment of $345.77
2. I want the equipment removed from our house.
3. I want out of this contract with out being charged a fee.

The equipment has never worked for us. I keep getting the runaround by several members of your staff. We were told we could cancel in 30 days and when we tried, you said you would give us faster speed and more gigs. Your company has been fraudulent, and unethical and I need you to make this right for me. The service is poor and does not work for us.

I will be expecting an email or phone call, by upper management next week.

Leah D

jim1000

hughesnet customer service

I have attempted to view my invoices for over a year. have not been able to because they stop me at the invoice site. I have called numerous times and heard every excuse in the book. this is one of the sorriest companies I have ever had dealings with. they have no customer service at all and lie to you continually. I spent over an hour on the phone with them again today and was told again the problem was fixed. another lie. it isn't

valkrider53

@spcsdns.net

Hughesnet

Giant ripoff they lie and steal from you ! Do not give them your credit card under any conditions ! There should be a class action lawsuit coming soon.

AngieD

@107.77.64.x

Re: Hughesnet

They already lost a class action lawsuit. I got a whole $5 back.

Review by chaosbuster See Profile

• Location: Oviedo,Seminole,FL
Good "Hardware works great"
Bad "People work poorly"
Overall "If customer can support himself without vendor support, good deal"
Mail,DNS,News:

Did not offer HSN 9000 migration plan, so ordered new Gen3 service.
Installer was an amateur, I ended up doing my own pole mount and all physical placement.
Installer just did signal cable connection and checkout.

Comments:

stevieod

Why Is Hughesnet Allowed to Rip Customers Off

Hughesnet has huge government contracts that consume satellite bandwidth that limit bandwidth to the paying customers (chumps). Because of these contracts, Hughesnet is allowed to operate as a money laundering operation for the intelligence agencies. So that explains the lousy service and also explains why the technical support is out sourced to countries that are hostile to America (Pakistan, etc.).

Hughesnet is allowed by government to raid the rural internet markets that the government has allowed the big cable players to ignore. Because many congresspeople and bureaucrats own stock in Hughesnet, Hughesnet is practically immune to any oversight or criminal investigations.

Hughesnet is a criminal operation, solely for the purpose of government communications. The rural customers are simply extra money that goes into various pockets. Thus, Hughesnet does not care about its retail (rural) customers nor does it feel that it has any obligation or responsibility to honor 'contracts' with its retail (rural) customers.

If anyone noticed when signing up with Hughesnet, there are no mentions of a "Fair Acces Policy" or is any mention of the fact that the download/upload speeds are just so much marketing department fantasy. Just remember that Hughesnet is operating for its own and governments benefit, that the retail (rural) customers are an afterthought that happens to bring in some extra money.

If anyone has had the fortunate experience of speaking with 'technical support', they will have found totally incompetent morons that don't give a damn about you. They will try to suck you into signing up with additional plans to 'improve' the service. Don't! You will be throwing good money after bad.

Hughesnet corporate are a bunch of con artists and theives, their only job is to fill their pockets with as much money as they can. In short, Hughesnet is a criminal enterprise that has the blessing of government to steal money.

InfoSponge

@mycingular.net

Re: Why Is Hughesnet Allowed to Rip Customers Off

Thank you for that knowledge. ; )

hughesnet su

@direcpc.com
I do not have a lot of knowledge of how bandwith and satellite internet works and i explained this to the hughesnet rep who chose my package for me. Previously i used time warner and i do not believe i was limited on how much bandwith i ha. If i was i must have had more than i needed because i never noticed. I will forever (or at least for the next 2yrs till my contract is up) regret the day i entered into a contract with hughesnet. To put it simply i was promised the ability to stream netflix and utube for a price that was lower than what i was paying TWC and I did NOT RECEIVE THE SERVICE PROMISED.
The service rep asked what i needed and/or wanted to be able to do on the internet. I explained that i didnt know how it worked or what amount i would need so she had me explain what i wanted to be able to do. I told her i had netflix and needed to be able to stream that. I wanted to watch utube and things like that. The rep said "I will get you in the right package to be able to do all those things" Then i received none of what i was promised. When i called to ask why my service was so bad and why i couldnt even watch a 30 second video online without constant buffering i was told my package didnt allow the ability to stream video of any kind. I explained fiat i was told i would be a able to use netflix and utube and the rep said the most ignorant thing that really made no sense...."sorry. Maybe the rep you spoke with who set you up with the service dosent work here anymore". What? Why would that matter? What would that have to do with anything?

To make a long angry rant short... I set out to save money and I now pay more than i paid with TWC to get less service because even after i so called "upgraded" i was WARNED (and the use of the word warned was actually used by the rep) that i wouldnt be able to stream much of anything on netflix before reaching my internet usage limit. Wow. Thanks Hughesnet. I will be sure to tell all my my friends and family about your great service and how i cant even gooogle anything without waiting 2 to 3 minutes for the page to load. I hate my internet service and i hate hughesnet for making me say I MISS TWC. I never thought i would hear myself say those words.DO NOT TRUST HUGHESNET. If you have little knowledge of how satellite internet works they will take advantage. They will not give you the service promised. It will be nothing but frustration and all you will have to show for it will be the joy of overpaying for Horrible service.

HiHo HiHo

@cc.oh.us
I am so glad I looked this up before making a purchase. In Toledo, Ohio Buckeye cable has the monopoly and you cannot get internet service anywhere else but through Hughesnet. They sound just like Virgin Mobile, government owned and a hateful, thieving bunch of criminals. Thank you all for your reviews. Took awhile to find any, had to get out of google and use a backdoor to get here.

Review by GoodMoGo See Profile

• Location: Fayetteville,Washington,AR
Good "Absolutely nothing (occasional internet if you don't have other options)"
Bad "Service quality, value, customer support."
Overall "Use at your own risk, and only if you don't want to write snail mail letters."
Mail,DNS,News:

Several different accounts (I work for a major University) with different plans. Lowest plan is a Professional Plus.
Order and install were problem free.
Various HN700S and HN9000 + My routers.
They change static IPs without notice, tech support does not understand what "port forwarding" or "static IP" means other than "that's in your plan, sir". From this basic information I can only properly describe them and their service as a bunch of mentally handicapped monkeys (not apes).

Comments:

Review by Patty K See Profile

• Location: Denver,Adams,CO
Good "None"
Bad "Costly data usage, service down and slow if not down"
Overall "Awful service, worse support"
Mail,DNS,News:

I moved recently and Hughesnet was the only service provider that I could get in the Denver area that I moved to. I am a systems admin and need to work from home occasionally which is impossible using this service. Things are bad when you can go to the local Starbucks and get better service than you can at home. I am using the HT 1100 modem at this location. When you turn your computer on in the morning and log into their system usage interface you will notice that just turning your machine on will result in a usage of 250MB. You cannot browse the internet let alone download anything. Data downloaded during their "Bonus Time" is sometimes taken against your normal usage. After having this service for 1 month I am ready to give them the boot. Threatened to call and still just might get the Better Business Bureau involved in this too as I cannot get any intelligent response out of their support. All I hear is " I understand" (NO THEY DON'T!), wishing their own service on the employees and especially the CEO. That is the worst thing that I can think of for the people behind this company, making them live with their own service! After calling their support 2-4 times per week I am willing to deal with using my phone as a hot spot for service and continuing to go to Starbucks to work when necessary as this service is truly unusable for anything more than the most basic of internet connections and God help you if you decide to look at ANY web pages. My mother, my Aunt and I have been calling Comcast begging for them to run a line down East 64th Avenue in Denver so we can get decent service. I pray that they will as I have never had service this bad and at this point am willing to go back to nothing as opposed to continuing to pay Hughesnet for this. I feel totally ripped off and violated.

Comments:

NeverAgain

@velocity.net

Horrible

Don't waste your money! I can't believe I paid money for this service. The speeds are a joke, the price is crazy and when I tried to get rid of it, after paying the early cancellation fee they reactivated my account and started charging me again after 3 months. This is a total scam, don't do it, you are better off going to sit in the McDonalds parking lot and leeching off their WIFI.

Review by Kemper See Profile

• Location: Eddyville,Lyon,KY
Good "I'm online"
Bad "No online gaming or streaming movies"
Overall "Better than nothing. "
Mail,DNS,News:

I pay $60 a month, bought my equipment so I save $10 a month. Surfing is fine, Facebook, web pages I can even get on Xbox Live and download updates and download game content, but the big draw back is latency. Way to high to play games against others. It's better than nothing though and for rural households with few options it's not so bad. I would kill for real high speed Internet though.

Installation was simple and installer was very professional. Ours doesn't go out unless weather is just really bad, a normal rain doesn't bother it. Never spoken to customer service, so I guess that's a plus. I've had service for about three years now

Comments:

Freedom Yaa

@choopa.net

free from hughes!!

No need to suffer any more with hughes! I too was a hughes member for 3 years on a 9000 modem. Then bluegrass cellular built 4g lte towers around KY. They started a new fixed wireless home service and a discount for the first 3 months. GetSetGo is the name of the service. I have had it for 9 months and it is a big improvement over hughes. It shows it available in your area! I have 250 Gigs a month for $67 a month. Free your self from hughes today!!

Jason M1979

Hughes net customer service

I got Hughes net by bundling with direct tv. I live in a small town with not a lot of internet options. When I ordered my service from direct tv they gave me Hughes nets phone number to set up an appointment. The installer showed as planed but took five hours before he got it working. The day after the installer left my internet went out. I called Hughes net only to find out they. contract the installers and told me I need to call the contractors so I tried no one answered for two days. I bought my kids tablets for Christmas by the time I got hold of the contractors it was Christmas Eve they told me it would be after Christmas I was mad they were ruining my kids Christmas. Well no one showed up that day and I called the contractors they would hear my voice and hang up by the way the contractors name is bullseye sat.by all means avoid these people they are rude and unprofessional. I also called Hughes net and direct tv and they both said to call someone else well 2 days after Christmas they finally showed up. The installer showed up sick at eight in the morning coughed all over my house he fell asleep on my couch while talking to his tech people and it took him four hours to find out it need a new power cord. Hughes net Internet is good but their customer service is terrible as well as bullseye.

kjo2_99

@verizon.net

Re: Hughes net customer service

This company has charged my account 321.00 and 360.00 ACH debit. I do not owe the company 600.00 I paid automatically every month. I finally had to cancel because this company could not meet my data needs for work. I am a hospice nurse and use the company OS to upload my nursing notes. I called the company several times I paid the most you can pay and they wanted me to by tokens for extra data. To no avail this too much time for my deadlines and finally had to pay my final bill and cancel the account. No one told me they would be taking 621.00 out of my bank account and I did not sign a contract saying this. I have since had to get a lawyer to help me changed my bank account and cancelled my debit card. Their customer service is unfriendly and foreigners who don't care about how happy you are with you service. I tell anyone who will listen not to use this company. its disrespectful to treat people this way.

BAD SERVICE

@bankofthewest.com

Re: Hughes net customer service

I am experience the same issues.

The service did not perform as stated, continually dropping. Lost stock trades with losses of over $47,000. Canceled service for non performance and they are trying to charge my credit card for cancellation. Three way conference call where they said no charge to credit card company on December 10th for which credit card company has records and Hughes does not have record, nor records of any of the other calls placed.

Sounds like I just need to cancel that credit card.

Talking with a bunch of jerks from the Philippines the last one said his name was Lyndon Johnson...

I will pull a D & B on the headquarters in Maryland and go for it.

They have pissed me off and taken so much of my time that I don't care what I spend going after these jerks, going to be a bit sporty.

SERVICE IS AWFUL. CONTINUALLY DROPPING. LOST NUMEROUS STOCK TRADES.

winterblues

Re: Hughes net customer service

I have hughes right now and I am going to cancel my service. I cannot watch TV with my Roku device because the signal continually drops out every minute of the program. They told me first I needed the gen4 upgrade, but then stated that is what I already have. Then it was my modem had to reset on Jan 2nd and until then I would not be able to watch TV. Now. it is the same issue, and this is only Jan 5th. They tried to charge me for a service call that I did not schedule stating the tech sat at my residence all morning and I was a no show. Well I was at work and knew nothing about this service call. I am reporting them to the State attorney Generals office for misleading customers with bogus service offers. I suggest everyone do the same. Possible class action suit...

HughesAgent

@InterCable.net
Please don't sign up for hughesnet i'm an agent for CS and is the worst service i've ever seen, the sales department tells you how the service is going to be and is not like that they also add extra services on your bill without your permission, so that's why your bill is more than you were told. If you don't have another option than hughesnet please verify what you're getting because it's never going to be like it's supposed to.

MR

@comcast.net

Please listen or you will regret!

If you don't listen you will feel sorry, under no circumstances get a Hughes Net, you will regret it they are a bunch of liars and crooks.

Review by genlee See Profile

• Location: 54631-0008
Overall "Don't do it you will regret it"
Mail,DNS,News:

I haven't been with HughesNet very long 1 month and 13 days and it has cost me over over 200.00 the 1st month was only 54.07 and the next 13 days cost me 125.00 and I cancelled it today and now they said that I will still owe them an additional 48.02 I only purchased 1 bonus token during this time and had to up the service plan twice within this time I did not know anything about "Data Usage" and boy did I find out fast. We stream media through different devices throughout our home and movies, music, and I have a small PC repair business that I am constantly online getting patches, software, etc. for doing my business. Well needless to say I did work on a lot of the PCs during this time they were always limiting my usage I found it easier to go to a free wi-fi business to do my business. By the way the 125.00 was for 14 days of service no bonus time or anything. Stay away from Hughes if you can.

Comments:

Faye

Hughes net sucks!

I've had it for almost two years and I can't wait until the contract is up. I had dial up before and this is just as SLOW! At 90.00 some dollars a month I call it highway robbery! My sister has internet through com cast and most of the time I have to go to her house if I need to update anything, and with hers it only takes a second or two. I live back in the sticks and at the time besides dial up this was my only option. Im sure there is something else out there now that I can get if not dial up is a lot cheaper, and it's just as fast!!

Review by irongiant See Profile

• Location: Standish,Arenac,MI
Good "loosing your internet is a sign of bad weather take shelter."
Bad "its slow at night and weekends"
Overall "I wouldn't recommend it"
Mail,DNS,News:

Comments:

Review by garynburk See Profile

• Location: Powell,Delaware,OH
Overall "Best available of several very poor options"
Mail,DNS,News:

We have HughesNet Gen4 Business account, best available package. $174/month for 20GB anytime, 25 more GB between 2am and 6am
The order process was somewhat obtuse but the install went as described and worked fine

There are frequent service interruptions, often very slow speeds (~1mb/sec), infuriating boiler plate tech support.
HughesNet does offer "tokens" to buy extra capacity at a high price ($8/GB), meaning we usually must spend $64-$80 extra/month.
Until last month, buying tokens was an awful, several hour experience with telephone tech support. Their online purchase system does not work,
replying that we are not authorized to buy tokens. By telephone we must suffer through first a human robot reading a script that asks if we are
having bad weather? are we sure of that? have we rebooted? will we turn off their interface and let them do tests, etc, etc, etc. Eventually, after being switched to
2 or 3 other tech support people, we are allowed to buy the tokens and the wait.

The HughesNet service is slow, limited and unreliable. I'd advise it only as a last option.

Comments:

Review by bkaub007 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,Franklin,KS
Good "Its internet...i guess?"
Bad "Horribly slow, ridiculous ping (1000), insulting data limits"
Overall "Wish there was another option..."
Mail,DNS,News:

We have one of the best possible home internet packages, which is about $80 per month. NOT the newer "Gen4" junk. Installation went fine. Tech support is iffy at times.

We have had hughesnet for about 6 years, and before this year we have tolerated it. Now that more people are living in my household, there is a much greater need for internet access, and Hughesnet cannot keep up. You can watch videos, up until you exceed the FAP anyway. But download speed is ridiculously slow, 96% of other connections in the US are faster than Hughesnet. Granted, that we do not have one of the newer Hughesnet plans, which just sacrifice data allowance for speed.

I wish there was another option for us, even if it is only marginally better. We have looked at Millenicom, Broadbandq, and other options, but these are either overpriced or have ignorant data allowances. If anyone happens to have any other ideas, please feel free to comment. But it really appears that there isn't really a decent rural internet option for us.

Comments:

oldman

@162.72.184.x

Try Wildblue

I had Hughes Net for 5 years and was really frustrated with the speeds and the daily data allowance. If I wanted to download an update for a game or my ps3 I would run out of my daily data allowance before the update could finish.
I checked out Wildblue and they have no daily data allowance. They have a monthly data allowance of up to 25 GB. They are much faster than Hughes Net and their customer service has been very good so far. I have been with them for 2 years now and am satisfied. The only thing that I wish they had was a plan with unlimited data for online gaming.

vic226

Re: Try Wildblue

hi their so we have hughes net and are data goes very slow every day we got tokens but they dont seen to work . is this wildblue really work .