ACD.net page on DSLReports

Review by ts0684 See Profile

• Telco party Ameritech
Good "Highly qualified, honest technical support staff. Their connections are solid and up to speed."
Bad "None."
Overall "ACD.net is a very good value for your money."

I have found ACD.net to be well beyond my expectations. The service order and installation were completed in about a week even though the local telco had problems on their end. I committed to a two-year contract in order to avoid the purchase cost of the DSL modem. Even though their technical support staff was not been able to answer all of my initial questions they did commit to finding out the answers. On more than one occasion I have had the pleasure of dealing with the Owner who went out of his way make to make sure I was a satisfied customer. My DSL connection only provides me with a dynamic address but I can't even remember when it last changed (I know it has been well over 5 months). Also I have been very happy with the stability of the connections. Of the few times that there has been a service outage I received advance notice of such. The only exception to this is when an unexpected equipment failure had occurred -- not bad at all. On top of everything else they are a locally owned, locally based company. If I feel the need, I can drive to their offices and talk face to face with an actual human being. I highly recommend their services.

member for 13.8 years, 74 visits, last login: 10.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by clifnelson See Profile

• Location: Lansing,Ingham,MI
Good "."
Bad "."
Overall "."

member for 14.1 years, 46 visits, last login: 10.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by Mitchumdude See Profile

• Location: Lansing,Ingham,MI
Good "768k/768k up/down SDSL for $79.95. Smart Techs."
Bad "Signed a two year contract to get the free modem."
Overall "Best deal out there if you fast upload speed."

I ordered DSL from ACD.net about a month ago. I sent in the contract, eight days later they had the line installed. I went to thier office and picked up a modem, and had it running that evening.

When I first ordered the line I got 512/512k up/down for $59.95. About two weeks later, I got an email that said they were going to also provide 768k and 960k on the same modem. They said they would also provide SDSL at these same speeds for only $20 bucks more. I called them up, and the technician said he wanted to upgrade the modem. The lights on the modem started blinking, and the DSL modem reset. 10 minutes later I was going at 768k. I was amazed that the average support dude on the phone could do all this in about a 5 minute phone call

I had Ameritech before, and they sucked. Your upload speed with them is 128k if you are lucky. Quakeing is much better with the the faster upload speed. These are the only guys that have equal upload and download speeds available that I have found.

Local company. The tech people know what they are talking about which is always refreshing.

Friend of mine has their service, and had thier line go down once. I haven't had any problems with the line going down (that I know of).

member for 13.7 years, 14 visits, last login: 13.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by pruittx2 See Profile

• Location: Lansing,Ingham,MI
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "fast hook up. Real Smart tech People, can go there and kick butt if theres problems, local co. =)"
Bad "2 yr contract sucks, but $199 for modem &1yr sucks more."
Overall "If you live in lansing you have No other choice,,muhuha ha ha ha ha ha"

Hi there I ordered acd.net in E Lansing Mi on the 17 of May
on the 24th, I got an email that stated my line was installed
and that I could call to arrange the pick up of my modem for my self
install. On Friday the 25th I went and picked up the modem and when I
got home and hooked it all up,,,, nothing, =(

After I called tech support and spoke with a great
service rep, and explained my situation, she ask me, Did you use the
cable from you old msn modem or did you use the one that came with our
modem?, well, I used the one that was allready there and as it turns out
that was my problem, I had a non cross over cable, and their's uses a
crossover cable. Boom, plugged it in and there we were online, then she
tweaked my port and set up my email and webspace. I couldn't of even
expected such service after the northpoint msn thingy.

(Screw At&t! and their promise of cable service to the capitol city
of Michigan, I was told by them for 18 months "Next month sir")
I'll probaly be renewing this service long before cable really gets here anyway.
Any one want to buy a msn dsl modem Real cheap?
512 up and 512 down for $59.00 a month.
Online gaming is awesome now baby! =)
Acd.net is more than I expected at this point, will be back to report how it goes.

member for 13.3 years, 21 visits, last login: 11.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by mpconnick9 See Profile

• Location: Lansing,Ingham,MI
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "Quick installation, very reliable connection so far."
Bad "Had to sign 24 month contract to avoid buying a DSL modem."
Overall "I would recommend them to colleagues in the area."

Update 5/10/01
-----
My DSL line is back up. It sounds like the problem was initially a bad jumper in the CO, which would have been fixed on Tuesday. However, the phone company then mistakenly hooked me up to Northpoint's equipment rather than ACD's equipment. The ACD tech had to figure out the problem for the phone company. Hats off to him for accurately trouble-shooting the problem and being able to communicate it to the phone company.

Updated 5/6/01

Did some investigating on Saturday to verify the problem was not "inside" my house. Plugged the DSL modem directly into the telephone access panel outside my house. No line light, so it appears to be beyond my home unless the modem itself is bad. Service is still not up, but I didn't expect it to be resolved over the weekend.

Updated 5/4/01

When I arrived home from work today, I noticed I was experiencing my first DSL outage. The line light on my DSL modem was not illuminated. Tried power cycling the unit and checked the outside connection prior to giving ACD a call. When I called them, they confirmed it was down and opened a trouble ticket. I will update this review to provide a summary of my experience as they work to bring the line back up.

-----

After the Northpoint fiasco I lost my Telocity connection. Since Telocity didn't have any arrangements with other DSL circuit providers in my area, there were unable to migrate me.

Fortunately ACD.net, a local DSL provider, was able to step in quickly and provide me with a new connection. It was just 13 days from the order to being online. Although it's $10 more per month than my Telocity connection was, I am getting higher bandwidth from ACD's 512 connection than I was from Telocity's reported 768 connection.

It's also nice to be supporting a local company.

member for 13.9 years, 163 visits, last login: 9.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by twokatmew See Profile

• Location: Lansing,Ingham,MI
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "Same speed up and down!"
Bad "Not as fast as my old Northpoint connection, had to buy modem."
Overall "It works!"

There was lots of confusion involved in getting my connection going, although much of it was not the fault of ACD. You see, I previously had MSN DSL through Northpoint. Northpoint never released my loop, which caused delays, and then Ameritech connected a "loaded pair," so I had no connection. Finally yesterday they connected an "unloaded pair," and I now have a live connection!

Although it's more expensive than my old MSN connection, I now have symmetric up and down speeds, which is handy for VPN and remote server management, which I need. The connection seems reliable, and there's not as much latency as there was with MSN DSL.

I signed a 12-month contract and bought the modem for $199, because who knows what will be available in a year? I'll lock myself in for one year, but not for two.

I also like the idea of being able to go rattle cages at ACD if I do have a problem. I see the value in this after suffering the MSN/Northpoint fiasco!