AT&T (Business Services) page on DSLReports

Review by OKCAPLUMB See Profile

• Location: Guthrie,Logan,OK
Good "For a rural business, this is about as good as it gets"
Bad "Ordering from AT&T Legacy (I didn't know there was such a thing) then coordinating with the local telco "
Overall "Overall very positive, but did take some kicking and screaming to go live"

I received an offer from AT&T for a T1 for my office for $356 per month so I jumped on it. I've been using satellite and cellular for the past eight years with no major complaints other than the usual data caps, but those were manageable. My net cost once I scaled everything back in my office came to about $100 more per month for unlimited Internet that I could use for anything I needed. Ordering was a big confusing mess. I found out later from the telephone man that I ordered from AT&T Legacy. I didn't know there was such a thing these days with them being "the telephone company" in all fifty states. As it stands, the local telco views the legacy company as a customer or third party reseller, which explains why it took an act of congress to get everything pushed across to the telephone guys. Once we did have the order pulled across, the telco guys had the line built and up in three days. We had one hiccup since the service was new, but the telco quickly ironed out the kinks and had me back up and running pretty fast for a rural business. I was most impressed with the telephone call I received during my hiccup asking if my Internet was working. They knew I had a problem before I did. Overall, I have no complaints knowing what I know now. I should have been better prepared when I ordered by knowing what I was getting into. If I did, I would have known to expect the delays and lack of coordination. Once the telco realized what happened; however, they did everything they could humanly do to make everything right. I couldn't ask them to do any better in the end.

Comments:

Review by Shad0wlore See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Tech support seems good, once you get thru red tape"
Bad "One hand is never aware of what the other is doing. TERRIBLE."
Overall "If you have no other choice, then go with AT&T.. otherwise, stick to 2 cans and a string."

·Charter
Note: Total Monthly Cost is included in a package deal.

Can't begin where to start. We ordered a line install here to our corporate office, and it, quite literally, took AT&T over a year to activate a line.. that was already connected and lit up into our building. They ran connectivity years ago, but it was never utilized. The line techs that showed up tested the circuit, and said it was already lit up, and good to go.. all they had to do was run an extended connection into our phone room (from the mechanical room) and test the line.

However, in order for all this to happen... the Sales department had to place the order, and submit a request to have it installed. After a year of stupid decisions, we finally got a nice writeup from a tech supervisor about the whole chain of events:

1.) The sales rep placed the order in Feb of the year we ordered it. (Un-managed 20/20 circuit)

2.) The department that handles those orders didn't process it until May, as a managed 5/5 circuit.

3.) Techs got the order sent to them as a managed 5/20 circuit in June.

4.) Techs said that was a weird order, so contacted Sales dept to make sure it was correct in June.

5.) Sales dept corrected it as managed 1/20 circuit in August.

6.) Techs said that's even stranger, please check again, in August.

7.) Sales dept complains that techs are questioning their orders in August. Order placed on hold while petty squabble is ironed out.

8.) Sept: Tech supervisor checks up on outstanding installs, and sees ours.. inquires 4x over September for information.

9.) October, Sales dept tells techs the line is a 1/10 managed circuit.

10.) Tech apparently thinks sales dept are morons, and assumes it's a typo.. installs the line as a 10/10 managed circuit in October (3 days later).

11.) Sales dept tells us we have to wait for our equipment to come in since we ordered a managed circuit, and orders a router for us 2 days after install.

12.) Same day we get the sales notice, we inform them we already have our own equipment, that's why we ordered a 20/20 un-managed.

13.) Don't hear from sales dept for a month... in the meantime, a router has shown up. Sales person apologizes for the misunderstanding, and will have to order us some equipment to cover our managed circuit. (wait.. what?!?!)

14.) Late November, another router shows up... and we still have no connection. After having to explain in my 'slow' voice to salesperson on phone that we didn't order a managed circuit.. we ordered a 20/20 un-managed circuit they apologize and will get a tech out to complete the install within 5 business days.

15.) New Years eve (so much for that 5 days thing) a tech shows up and explains he got an emergency install notice.. isn't that happy that it's NYE (and neither am I, since I'm now going to have to stick around for the install). Installs the line.. turns it up... and can't get an active connection. Turns out he can't complete the install, because no one informed the NOC. While talking to the people at the NOC, they found the tech install order, and when I mention it's supposed to be a 20/20 un-managed connection... NOC tech points out it's in their system as a bunch of separate line installs. (Apparently they never deleted any of the old install requests, but just kept adding more and more lines.. and this point, I tell the tech he can go home and that's it.

Since I'm tired of typing now (and my BP is increasing remembering this whole fiasco)... it took almost 15 months to get a line configured properly. They installed it wrong, sold it wrong, and provisioned it wrong multiple times... then, afterwards, it was dropping connection every 2 hours on the nose.... techs came out, confirmed there was nothing wrong on this end, and had to fight and argue with techs on the other end. Mysteriously, everything straightened itself out, and AT&T tried to charge us for a tech to come out and fix our equipment... even though our equipment was out of the equation at the time.

If you have a chance to use AT&T.. or carrier pigeon... go with the pigeon.. it'd be more reliable, and more likely to listen to your requests.

member for 10.3 years, 2006 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

kcir60
join:2007-02-02
Fort Lauderdale, FL

AT&T Business

A friend of mine went through about the same thing when he tried to go to a T1 line at his business. T1 never worked and he ended up going back to the original configuration after a year of frustration.

• Location: Yorba Linda,Orange,CA
Good "The product is great"
Bad "No one there seems to know how to provide help when asked. More interested in upgrading (read \"
Overall "Avoid customer service. Mentioning the word \"

This afternoon I spent 4:12 on the phone with AT&T UVerse regarding where people in southern California would be able to view the broadcasts of the Los Angeles Lakers basketball games for this season.

I was transferred back and forth between five departments, three department managers and three levels of technical support. The end result was NO access to the Laker games.

Despite the AT&T press release which stated, “AT&T U-verse is thrilled to bring Lakers, Galaxy and Sparks games and other exciting content to U-verse TV customers in Southern California,” said Jeff Weber, President of Content and Advertising Sales, AT&T Home Solutions. “Many of our customers are passionate about Los Angeles sports, and we’re pleased to be able to deliver the content they want.”

And despite the fact the AT&T website shows plainly that UVerse customers with service levels at S200 and above are supposed to be receiving the broadcasts on channel 777 or 1777, the collective responses from the various departments lead me to believe no one at UVerse has any idea what is going on and are not in any position to provide the broadcast coverage it declared in its statement to the media it was going to provide.

The very press release is posted on the LA Lakers website. But the information is incorrect and very misleading/confusing for Laker fans.

So for now, those Laker fans that live in southern California that do not fit into the zip code areas defined by UVerse will find they will not be getting the Lakers unless they are willing to cough up additional funds/fees to view what has always been available for free for more than 30 years.

The sad thing was the total lack of ability to manage this at AT&T. What a deplorable way to run a company! I would be totally embarrassed to work there.

(review was emailed from domain flash.net)

Comments:

Nam3o

@att.net

the Death of free TV

I went through a smiler thing during the Olympics. We wanted to see coverage of the games but we do not subscribe to TV service. we went online only to find that without a login and password issued by a TV service we had no access to any coverage. I looked around only to see that almost every other country had free coverage available. When I tried to watch their streams I got a bounce message that stated they are not available in my geographic area.

Review by Manasseh33 See Profile

• Location: Hendersonville,Sumner,TN
Good "Promised speeds almost reached sometimes"
Bad "Internet connection is NEVER consistent"
Overall "Don't switch from DSL to Uverse"

We changed from AT&T's DSL to Uverse at the suggestion of AT&T and since they had reduced rates and a claimed higher speed we went with it. BAD Decision! While DSL while almost rock solid reliable the Uverse has been nothing but headaches. At NO time since the install have we gotten a constant internet connection and despite several service calls and an onsite visit AT&T offers no solutions. In fact, they won't even let us switch back to DSL and even the tech said, "you don't want to do that" but really we do. A constant internet connection beats a faster unreliable connection any day of the week. Despite the contract being less than 30 days old switching to Comcast and hoping for the best. Don't be fooled, Uverse is terrible and as I have now read on many forums it seems AT&T knows the reliability problems and yet has no idea how to fix it yet they continue to sell this crap.

• Location: Pompano Beach,Broward,FL
Good "none"
Bad "everything about their service"
Overall "would not recomend anything about the company or their services"

we have att at work hate it. speed sucks. service horrible. slow. slow slow. last friday called as we had no service they said they did tests and it was our modem. go out buy new modem. doesn't work. call att again more tests now they say oh we have and outage in your area you helped us find it. will be fixed within 24 hrs. well this continues to go on now 1 week so tonight they are supposed to have it up at 10:18 pm =2C not 10pm not 10=3B30 but 10:18pm. they have shut our business down cost us money and expenses. and since this is the 4th change in when they will be up we will see.I am grateful I have comcast at home.

Dawn D.

(review was emailed from domain live.com)

Comments:
ann3

join:2012-07-15
Pompano Beach, FL

update

still no service now coming out tomorrow to look at what is really happening now that they have cleared the outage. this is day 10. also informed we must formally ask for a credit for the days of no service

Review by jlibuszowski See Profile

• Location: Wheaton,Du Page,IL
Good "connection reliable"
Bad "horrible customer service, employee's/contractors/agents clueless about products"
Overall "reliable connection- but company doesn't give a shit about YOU or your company!"

It was a SMB business line/dsl installed when I had been working for AT&T. After about 4 days, the morons turned off my dsl line all because of a simple billing change. Shutting down internet which not only I use but my father who worked for Hitachi Data Systems also relied upon.

I think I got no less than 10 different letters, automated calls and the whole switch over was annoying, confusing and clearly lacked any ability to get things installed properly. Not only that, but the company has about 15 different systems, so features and services NEVER got installed properly. The bottom line is, I need things to WORK right the first time! or at least the second time. Not the 104044 time.

Not only that but they have an entire department, devoted to just fixing screw-ups in Hoffman Estates, IL. Seriously? The fact that they need full time people, just to fix their f*ckup's is insane.

I also have had issues with transit providers - and the response I got was 'sorry there is nothing we can do'. Ok god damn, it’s YOUR (AT&T) network issues, work on it or get it fixed.

Then they have their bright CEO Randall Stevenson- who thinks the way they can get higher customer service scores is to attempt to twist words and influence customers to rate their service “very best” “best”. Sorry but if it’s shit.. it’s shit.

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Bad "cheap modem"

Here is the problem: ATT sells you a cheaply made modem (Grey in color by Motorola) on the installation day. In about a year, you lose your connection, call tech support, and they will ask you if you have this "grey looking modem...blah blah...." and this thing is out of warranty and breaks down, then they sell you another one for another 60.00 plus installation cost which involves only snapping in a few jacks! I should have switched to cable for free.

(review was emailed from domain prodigy.net)

• Location: Kansas City,Jackson,MO
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Horrible experience exasperbated by daily mail ads for hated AT&T U-verse bundle"

If it were possible to give a negative rating of stars for the AT&T U-
verse bundle I would give it a -2. We had the entire thing taken out
of our house within a week. The phone telephony was tinny and filled
with static. Not to mention that the multitude of AT&T representatives
we spoke to during the 6 hour installation nightmare neglected to
mention that the switch in phone type would render our home security
alarm useless. The Internet service was awesome if you enjoy watching
streaming video in 5 second intervals. And the satellite TV...well
suffice it to say that within 2 days of installtion it broke and we
had to spend another 2 hours on the phone getting someone out with a
new one.
In summation, the one good thing about our experience with AT&T U-
verse trio was it's ability to refresh my education with verb
conjugation....Crap....Crappier....Crappiest!

Viva DirectTV!!!!!!

(review was emailed from domain sbcglobal.net)

Comments:

Review by williamthril0 See Profile

• Location: Donna,Hidalgo,TX
Good "Up time guarantee"
Bad "Terrible service"
Overall "Avoid like the plague"

I was really tired of Time Warner's terrible cable connection. The connection was down almost every month, and for most of the day when it happened. So, I thought a T1 line would help, and I could use their VOIP service to cut some costs. Well, I was right about one thing, the T1 hasn't been down since I have had it (about 8 months now). The VOIP was not as advertised however.

Their VOIP is not based on any standard, is proprietary, and it originates in the "Business in a Box" they put in your office. So, if you suffer a complete power outage, good bye phone. You may not forward the calls to another phone either, complete black out.

Now that hurricane season is impending, I thought I would try and switch away from the VOIP. I called the business services dep. and the said as long as I keep one service, i.e. the T1, I won't be penalized with a early terminations fee(ETF) and got it in writing. So, I ported my main number to callcentric.com (who is wonderful btw) and began my long journey of disconnecting the AT&T VOIP.

After about two weeks of searching for my "account representative" I was directed to a lady who said I may not discontinue any service or I would suffer a ETF. I kindly forwarded her the letter from the business services dep. at AT&T, to which she refuted. I am now threatening legal action to get the VOIP service disconnected, to which my account rep has changed her tune and should be disconnected within the month.

I will update this review as my situation progresses.

Comments:

Review by eva

• Location: Atlanta,Fulton,GA
Good "we have internet"
Bad "it's expensive, locked in contract, poor speed"
Overall "go to one of the new providers like clear, anything without contract and with lower price"

just want to ass my 2 cents about ATT
and want to spread the word how badly they suck

Our small business has the 3.0 MB fastaccess DSL service
average speedtests on speakeasy.net and ATT's speedtest return 2-3 MB

Whenever I call when it's more of 2 MB speed rather than 3
They ask me to reboot the router and computer saying that they are also
"checking" the ports
and then we're back to 3 MB

I do not believe the speedtests, because pages load slowly
even the speedtest itself takes time to load and hands in the middle
sometimes
and then returns 3 MB download speed...

Worse yet is the file download speed,
they can maybe "cheat" with the webpage downloads, but a file downloads at
23-26 KB per second
Apparently ATT doesn's have anything in their contract that guarantees a
MINIMUM speed
So our "up to 3 MB" service can be 23 KB because they do not guarantee
anything

I called to verify that this is the case, I was told that this has to be an
issue with my computers,
because the speedtest is what they go by.

We will be cancelling our ATT contract as soon as we can

(review was emailed from domain languageatlanta.com)