AT&T (Business Services) page on DSLReports

Review by DLKirchmer See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Almost always wide open"
Bad "Sometimes gets clogged/bogged down"
Overall "PHAT pipes are AWESOME!!"

Access from my desk at work is actually better than from home now. What a deal!

I have no idea what we are paying for but I know it must be a BIG pipe.

Just started with this company and wondered how PHAT the pipe was.

Nice surprise.

Comments:

Review by wprensky See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "reliable fast service from AT&T - good Customer Service"
Bad "depends upon verizon for wiring - verizon response to problems slow"
Overall "if you have to use Verizon wire - AT&T provides muscle to get them to respond"

For basic T1 service AT&T is a terrific provider but they don't own their own cabling. this is a major problem. they depend upon local telco for line provisioning. Verizon is our local and they are overwhelmed with other issues and with infrastructure problems. AT&T had been talking about broadcast cellular hi-speed T1 emulations - they need to do that or something to get them away from local telco who is not necessarily focused on AT&T's business customers first. But AT&T MIS has terrific customer service - so we as a business are sort of stuck in the middle.

Comments:

Review by bigdawgmo See Profile

• Location: Louisa,Louisa,VA
Good "i can get a T1 in a rural setting"
Bad "$700/mo, goes down 1-2 days with a lightning storm"
Overall "my only option"

i had directpc, latency was to high. Modem provided only 20kbits/sec because of distance from CO. No DSL because of distance from CO. Cable does not come to my area. AT&T at 700/month for T1 was only option.

Comments:

Review by t1_user See Profile

• Location: Loomis,Placer,CA
Good "Constant top speed across the US"
Bad "Horrible sloppy tech support. Frequent prolonged outages."
Overall "Switched to Verizon WWAN, with Sprint WWAN as backup."

I've been using AT&T for three weeks now, and had two horrible experiences with their tech support, which is based in Manila, Philippines. My link was down twice, and it took them over 10 hours each time to bring it back up, simply because they process support tickets 4-6 hours after opening them. The field technician fixed the problem in 30 minutes in both cases. I cannot describe in words the level of inefficiency they demonstrated, and the total lack of customer care during and after the outage. I felt I was back to AT&T Cable Internet tech support or worse. They finally used the well-tested wires that Covad had provisioned for my prior T1, and all has been fine since then (just a week). I sent an email to customer service reporting my experience and a request for the phone number of a US-based tech support center. All I got in reply was a short note in which they said that they will credit my account, without mentioning by how much. Further emails and phone calls asking for an answer to my request went into a black hole.

I have to praise them on one point: their speed is top-notch and constant across the entire US. I'm now trying to get out of the contract and select another T1 provider with a US-based tech support. I can take sporadic slower speed, but I cannot afford downtime because I use it for business. Even if AT&T refunded me one month service (which I doubt, as they have many exclusions in the SLA, like night hours!), I would not recuperate the $1400 I lost. I would rather pay more monthly, but get real service.

I used my own router and set it up myself. AT&T is not responsible beyond the terminal box. That saved some money.

11/07/2007 UPDATE

The line has been down two more times in about three weeks. That's a total of four outages in 1.5 months, with an average repair time of almost 9 hours! Their technicians would not service the line after regular business hours, in spite of the 24/7 promised in the contract! What a scam! They told me they have no clue about why their lines keep on going down.

I got the OK to terminate the contract without (further!) penalties.

I'm now using Verizon WWAN, with 1430/400 pretty constant, thanks to the Kyocera KR1, which doubled the download speed through proper modem programming. I'll add an external antenna and an amplifier, and I should see even higher speeds. I'll be using Sprint's WWAN as a back up. All together, at a fraction of the AT&T's T1 price, and with 100% up time guaranteed by the redundancy, not by an unscrupulous company. Both Verizon and Sprint have a US-based customer service with no wait time. I only called them to activate the modems. No problem with their service so far..

Comments:

Review by wulman8 See Profile

• Location: Pahrump,Nye,NV
Good "at least is stays on"
Bad "it sucks"
Overall "do not buy"

ATT Rolled out WIMAX in Pahrump Nevada late last year. Telling us users
that it would be as fast as DSL. But as the service was rolled out and
more users were added ATTs service has degraded to no more then 2x
dialup. When calls to the support likes result in no answers users are
stuck with an expensive non functioning "high speed" network which is no
better than allways on dialup. Download speeds on an average are 18KB
sometimes spiking to a whopping 32KB. ATT seems to be unwilling to
provide a decent level of service to even its business customers who pay
50% more then home users. As a ATT WIMAX business customer i do NOT
recommend this service to ANYBODY.

Comments:

Review by PMajon See Profile

• Location: Lake Forest,Lake,IL
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "The CSU was easy to drop kick"
Bad "Reliability, AT&T's service, cost"
Overall "It sucks"

We just moved from AT&T to another provider. Our T1 line would go down several times a year, a couple times for an entire business day. We are not even finished with our contract. We had to buy it out. We signed up in 2002 when T1's were somewhat more expensive, but even for what we paid for then we could have found a much better deal. Their support has been less than acceptable. On one occasion I was transferred to several people before they could even address the problem. Half the time the person I talk to can't even speak English properly. It was a nightmare. Good riddance.

Comments:

Review by jeff1232 See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
  • Telco party Qwest
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "good dial up, flexible in accessing from work computer"
Bad "TECH SUPPORT IS ABSOLUTELY THE WORST"
Overall "Good when it works, but Tech support is awful"

Technical support is all in India and very difficult to understand. There is no need for them to understand you, because what you say just confuses things for them. THey are obviously trained to follow a set list of procedures and not vary. Level two tech support is better if you can get there.

Technical support failed miserably in setting up my DSL (professional installation ended up being required), many calls were required on two occasions to get them to reset my account, and currently I have been without DSL for two weeks. Tech support has actually given me advice which disabled my local network. I've been trying to tell them that the problem is again a bad connection, but they wouldn't listen til I finally got to Level 2 tech support today. However, he required assistance from another person and we spent 20 minutes on hold before he finally suggested I try calling that other person later. I fully expect to eventually get a professional person out here to tell me that I have a bad DSL connection and that ATT will have to work with Qwest (my local provider) to fix it. In the meantime, it is time to start changing my e-mail address and work towards switching providers.

The good part of ATT is that they do provide dial up service from virtually anywhere, provide several e-mail accounts, storage for a website, and it is very easy to access ATT e-mail from within the firewall at work. Cost is a bit higher than that of some other providers, but the value is not bad when it is working.

Comments:

Review by zelchenko See Profile

• Location: King Ferry,Cayuga,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
  • CLEC party: Verizon
Good "Fast, Enterprise-level SLAs, low latency T1 Service"
Bad "Expensive"
Overall "Good option if you need 24/7 service."

Full T1. I actually get this through the reseller bandwidth.com. Their customer service is excellent. The response during an outage is acceptable for me (4 hours max). The contract stipulates that if service quality or availability drops below a certain level for over an hour, you get 1 day's credit for every hour service is degraded. I have this installed at a residence as my location is very rural and there are no other options for me. Verizon made it clear to me that they would not install ISDN for me.

member for 12.4 years, 236 visits, last login: 2.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by love_dsl See Profile

• Location: Jersey City,Hudson,NJ
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Quality-of-Service - in terms of consistent speed is good"
Bad "Critical - False promises by sales-teams, very bad bandwidth"
Overall "Service to be avoided at all costs"

Essentially, a broadband service-provider over and above cost constraints, etc. should provide

- a STABLE bandwidth

- expected throughput with a max of 20% -ve delta between published and subscribed upload/download speeds

- living up to expectations.

In all of these aspects, ATT DSL service sadly fails. I have personally used it for over 6 months but decided to opt out of it and would recommend everyone likewise. The core reasons are -

- During subscription phase, request was made to sales-team to confirm if the 3 mbps download bandwidth is sustainable and a confirmation was received as YES.

- Next, ATT has a year lock-in period with a USD200.00 cancellation charges - which is very absurd amount in today's competitive environment. Even when moving to areas where ATT service is not available, subscriber still needs to pay these charges, although at the point of subscribing - was told otherwise.

- Finally, the core service:

(a) During when it is WORKING, at least during those periods the rate is consistent, thus a client-server application like Citrix, etc. works fine.

(b) But, the bandwidth can be safely expected to be 50% of what's promised.

(c) Technical support will ONLY re-set the modem and nothing else - all the while asking for few minutes, etc. But - no concrete enhancement will be done.

(d) What is not stated is that if they feel that ATT service-personnel need to visit the premises to ascertain the root-cause of bandwidth drop - they charge an additional USD200 to do so.

(e) Most of the time however, one will find the service completely DISAPPEARING. I have a wireless modem which records each time it attempted logging in to the ATT modem for lost connections - well in a day approx. 10 times it does that. So, although broadband - the service is at best - dial-up slightly faster.

(f) Notice one thing - ATT package when it comes with the modem, etc. does not contain any Terms And Conditions document, subscriber is never asked even online to assert anything. Also, there is NO email or web-form based support available. Which means all documents, etc. which you have are ONLY on phone and subsequently no records available. If pestered, they give a POSTAL address for communication to Level-2 support in US but after having sent them 2 mails, I have realized that no answers are to be expected. Consequently, from a legal perspective - subscriber is in a very bad and tight corner.

Just to add proof to the pudding, finally after much cajoling with the Tech. support they sent me a mail noting the fact that my service location was beyond the 15000 feet limit set for a 3 mbps connection. Using this mail, I tried to contact support, write back to them but never got any response back. What it essentially means is that from Day-I this range was BEYOND the norm - 15000 feet but they still got me hooked up to 3 mbps speed range. After utter complaints, they asked me to initiate DOWNGRADE - not they, they won't touch the account themselves which would effectively mean they are ack. the problem.

All of this speaks very badly on professionalism of ATT and the fact that they are essentially a business establishment with little to no regards to ethics. A subscriber if subscribed is completely at their mercy and wishes - and thus all potential subcribers whould avoid this monopolastic organization - including businesses since ATT clearly has their legal policies very, very vaguely outlined.

Comments:

Review by jeffbb8 See Profile

• Location: Novi,Oakland,MI
  • Telco party Ameritech
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Covad seems to be OK"
Bad "Reliability"
Overall "Stay away - at least in MI"

This line was arranged through my company's headquarters, so I have no idea what it costs. Whatever it is, it's too much.

The network is completely unreliable. Our DSL connection is interrupted every few months and it takes anywhere from a few days to a week to get it restored. Right now, we're at 13 days and counting. The problem is NOT with Covad - it's with Ameritech. AT&T contracts their line work to them and their techs seem to constantly mess things up in the CO. It takes them forever to restore service back to where it was before they messed it up in the first place.

AT&T tech support answers calls promptly, but can never tell me anything about when the service will be restored or why the technician that was supposed to arrive an hour ago still isn't here.

If there was a way to take Ameritech out of the picture, the service would probably be fine.