Prime Directive Quick Link (PDQLink) page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by TrippleT See Profile

• Location: Aurora,Du Page,IL
Good "When Its Fast Its Fast!"
Bad "Intermittent Slow Downs and Unavailability"
Overall "Not a Heck of a lot of Choice"

Well I am writing this coming off a week of pretty lousy network performance. It seems I'm more motivated to write when I'm frustrated with the service rather then when I am truly happy with it (sorry Michael). I have been a PDQ Link customer for about 2 years now and am in a new development with digital loop phone lines sorry DSL. speaking strictly on the network speeds and reliability I reaffirm my good/bad point: When its fast, it's fast!. I have a buddy who lives in Milwaukee and has Road Runner DSL when he uses my machines he is amazed at the download/upload speeds! I do have to say though that I cannot fully rely on my service being consistently fast or even present. More often than not I need to cycle the power (a few times)from the smart bridge to regain a connection but it is often that I will go from 6ms ping times to almost 3000ms and timeout when pinging say the tower (gateway) or a server at my companies site.

Service is acceptable when you can reach them- you take the good with the bad when not dealing with a megalith corporation and a 200 million dollar support center.

I am confident that I would be more willing to sacrifice some the speed for a more consistent and reliable connection. I would like to utilize it more for gaming and things like x-box live, but what ever it is, latency or horrifically slow ping times it is too unreliable to get my hopes up.

Again, I live in a place that this is my only broadband option, additionally I don't pay a dime, it is my companies dollar.

I hope to be around on the other side of the PDQLink growing pains because it really is a great service and I know that there will be a whole set of other issues if/when I jump ship to some other provider.

Speaking of which, I did get a door hanger from ComCast Cable saying they have finished updating their lines.... *shutter*

Comments:

Review by wade

• Location: North Aurora,Kane,IL
Good "Great Service - Wireleess for the Mac"
Bad "Little more expensive than DSL"
Overall "If you are a Mac User looking for high speed wireless check out PDQ Link"

Hired PDQ to hook-up our Mac based internet wireless .... I was very excited
about getting it going - after all this dial-up stuff is for the birds.

Mike and Lynn we very helpful and responsive to my needs and our new access
rocks. Not sure about speed ratings, etc. but I do know it only takes a
second to get where I need verses minutes before with dial-up.

They get a BIG 10 in our book.

Happy Mac Internet User with High Speed Access,

(review was emailed from domain affordableroofing.net)

Comments:

Review by johnc371 See Profile

• Location: Oswego,Kendall,IL
Good "NONE, COMPLETELY NONEXISTENT"
Bad "SEVERELY LACKS PEOPLE SKILLS, NEVER UPDATED AS PROMISED"
Overall "FELT LIKE I WAS TREATED LIKE SCUM,"

In June of this year I was thoroughly ecstatic when I read in the Beacon News that a wireless provider "PDQlink" might be coming to Oswego pending city council approval.The councils issues were mainly that PDQlink wanted to provide service in lieu of rent for their space on the water towers.(Now I know why)I "WAS" A SUPPORTER UNTIL NOW. Since June I have had several discussions with PDQlink.Eventually PDQlink got their equipment on 2 of Oswegos water towers. AT THAT TIME I WAS LEAD TO BELIEVE I COULD GET SERVICE FROM 1 OF THOSE TOWERS.I ordered service on Sep 13th.I was billed $541.23 for equipment and installation to my credit card.Equipment I have never seen nor posessed. At that time I was promised service.Do I have service today. NO.NO.NO. I was given several excuses as to why no service. I was very patient and understanding.Was I ever updated as to when service could be provided? NO.NO.NO. Only after I contacted PDQlink was I EVER GIVEN ANY SORT OF UPDATE.FINALLY I actually was given an install date. On Oct 11.INSTALLER showed up, climbed on my roof and said I had slight line of sight blockage by some trees.DID HE BRING ANY EQUIPMENT TO CHECK FOR SIGNAL? OF COURSE NOT. He told me that he would think about an alternative and get back to me. Did he get back to me?NO.NO.NO. After waiting a few days I contacted him .At this time we agreed to wait till a 3rd tower came online due to mainly aesthetic issues(antenna placement on front of rooftop).He stated he would update me Oct. 22.Did I get an update.NO.NO.NO. I emailed him on Oct.24.asking for an update.What occurs. PDQlink is now upset for me contacting him concerning service.They say I insisted on installation, DO YOU CALL INSTALLATION CLIMBING ON MY ROOF,AND LOOKING FOR YOUR ANTENNAS?THERE WAS NEVER ANY ATTEMPT OR INSISTENCE. I MERELY EXPECTED SERVICE AS PROMISED (They were very happy to take my money back on Sep.13) PDQlink then proceeds to cancel my order.They blame me. I now wonder what the heck have I gotten into here.This is no way to treat a customer whose money you have had for over a month and a half. He states a refund for equipment will be issued in 2 to 3 weeks. I call him to ask why he cancelled me. What response do I receive. An answering machine of course. Do I get any reply? Of course not. I email him. Does he respond? Of course not. What service have I received=LIP SERVICE. REFUND=2-3 weeks. What is that? Go figure.I feel like I am dealing with some teenagers who don't have a clue how to run a business let alone any sort of network. Think again about PDQlink and if you are really willing to deal with answering machines, a P.O. Box address, and a company run out of the back of a 1984 Chevy Blazer good luck to you.

mark for moderation

updated on 2001-10-28 21:08:58

[Edit]

Maybe your report can appear here!

member for 13.6 years, 144 visits, last login: 9.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by jganze See Profile

• Location: North Aurora,Kane,IL
Good "They know what their doing"
Bad "Growing pains, needs more help"
Overall "They are good people doing a good job"

Mike is really response when he's not busy with new installations and has been very patient and helpful. Truly understands his craft and went out of his way during the installation.

Comments:

Review by ericraber See Profile

• Location: Oswego,Kendall,IL
Good "Excellent customer service, high speeds when operational"
Bad "Immature wireless technology"
Overall "Bit more expensive that DSL or cable"

Finally new repeater towers up and running in Oswego. So far service seems reliable with good transmission rates. Supposed to be symmetrical, but upload speeds are slower than download. Prices are a bit higher than cable or DSL, however definitely a better solution that satellite or Sprint's wireless (Sprint usually puts a 30' tower on your roof to hit the Sears tower).

Overall so far so good. Support is very receptive to any problems and overall the value for the service is adequate.

Speed ordered...256k (symmetrical), $65.00/month

Static IP

Comments:

Review by PatrickG69 See Profile

• Location: North Aurora,Kane,IL
Good "High speed access where dsl and cable are not available."
Bad "Large initial equipment investment."
Overall "This is far better than satellite."

Mike is the best ISP operator. He really went out of his way to find out what was causing problems with my service and spent an entire Saturday fixing them.