Shaw page on DSLReports

Review by blueschooner See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
Good "Really Fast At The Beginning"
Bad "Really Slow Now"
Overall "I'm rather ambivalent about the whole thing"

I ordered in Feb. 2001. It took about 1 week from the time I ordered it until it was installed. There was a small problem with the install but the tech got it all squared away in no time and I was up and surfin'. After doing the tweaks I was consistently at 5000+/1100+. In the last 3 weeks or so I have dropped down to 1200/600. I waited for about 45 mins to get thru to tech support on the phone and he said that Shaw considers my download speed of 155 on their speed test to be acceptable and there's nothing they can do for me! I used to download at 600-700 consistently. I did a line quality test and sent them the results but I've been waiting 3 days for a response but I haven't heard anything as of yet. I re-sent the email to a different tech support site at Shaw today. If they can't get my speeds back up to something acceptable then I'll probably switch to MTS. However, I have to admit, when everything was running smoothly I had no problems whatsoever except for the occasional time when the mail server would be down. But now.......I can't say that I'm too impressed.

UPDATE (Oct.13/01)

I've been chasing this slow speed problem since August and now in the middle of Oct. I think it's been fixed. A Shaw tech came out to my house yesterday and replaced my SURFboard modem with a spankin' new Terayon. I also noticed that I've been switched from the old Videon system to Shaw's system. The best download speed in the last couple of months I got from Shaw's test was 155 KB/sec--I did a couple of tests this afternoon from the same site all in the 480 KB/sec range so either the new modem or switching to Shaw's backbone fixed the slow speed problem. Although it took around 2 months to get the problem fixed, I'm just happy that it got fixed. I'm also going to be getting rid of all my @home email accounts and switching to all @shaw email. I've had one for the last while and haven't had any problems with it.....YET. New bottom line: Good product but poor support. Hopefully I won't have any more problems.

UPDATE (09-29-02)

It's been nearly a year since my last update so I'll update this so the system quits hassling me to update.

My speeds steadily climbed up into the 6200kbps range by Dec./01 and into '02 then slowly began degrading as this year has wore on. Speeds were pretty decent until May/June and have since degraded to the point where it looks like I may have to contact tech support- probably just a congested node with my luck. No upgrades other than one email server upgrade this past year either.

Uptime has been excellent so far this year with only one major outage which lasted intermittently over a couple of days. There has only been one other minor outage and it lasted for approx. an hour or so. I guess I can't complain about that.

The monthly rate was raised from $39 CDN to $43 CDN sometime earlier this year. Shaw was nice enough to reprice my cable package so my internet/ cable bill actually went down a little less than a buck a month.

All in all I'm a fairly happy customer but I would like to get some decent speed back. I'm definitely not looking forward to dealing with tech support. I hope they are a little more helpful than in the past.

UPDATE (08-12-03)

There have been several upgrades (?) over the past year but other than ping times dropping somewhat there hasn't been a whole lot that appears to have been improved.

There were several outages in my area as well, some that lasted off and on over a few days. I couldn't be bothered calling tech support about them though- what would have been the point? I would have just gotten some smarmy idiot spouting off garbage.

Speeds? Don't bother checking them anymore. I haven't gotten too aggravated while surfing so I'm assuming they're fairly decent.

Shaw was nice enough to jack up the price of my cable bundle so any gains made from when they jacked up the internet price were completely lost. Thanks Shaw- you're not much of a value anymore.

UPDATE (07-25-04)

Update time again. Seems as though speeds are sloooow. That would make sense as Shaw introduced their new xtreme internet package recently. Ooooh wow- more money for what we used to get for less money. Sounds like Shaw's modus operandi though.

Connection stabilty has been fairly decent however for a time I was having problems dropping IPs but that eventually went away. I think there were a couple of upgrades but nothing that really stood out as an improvement.

My new bottom is line is "I'm rather ambivalent about the whole thing" As long as it ain't causing me hassles I'm fine with it I guess.

Comments:

Review by murcielago86 See Profile

• Location: St Albert,AB
Good "Price"
Bad "Service"
Overall "Avoid them"

Ive had shaw internet since 98 when it was videon in st. albert. It has always been good speeds for me, ranging from 300 MBps way back when, to 800 MBps only a few short months ago. Then shaw called us up and said they were coming around to do some server upgrades, and I was stoked to hear that, as that would mean better speeds, right? wrong. My transfer rate went down to 250 MBps, and, even worse than that, my latency doubled. Then I called them up and asked them what the deal was, and they said if I needed more speed that their new Extreme-I service was on the market for $20 a month more, and that would bring my speed up to 5 Mbps. So They want me to pay more for less speed than i was getting before.

member for 11.3 years, 12 visits, last login: 10.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by jefferiah See Profile

• Location: North Vancouver,BC
Good "very fast and consistent speed (400-500 KB/s down, 50-65 kB/s up)"
Bad "their Terms of Use agreement and it's implimentation is ridiculous."
Overall "they will suspend your service for 7 days if you are a heavy user"

ok.. Shaw.ca advertises heavily in Vancouver with the slogan, "Shaw... always on".. sounds great eh. Makes one think that the service is there to use freely and without restraint. Which I think is the way it should be thank you very much.

Especially when their Terms of Use agreement says explicitly that there are NO USAGE LIMITS FOR RESIDENTIAL CUSTOMERS. . I'm here to tell you all that this just plain is NOT TRUE. It is, in fact, a LIE. However it also says in the same agreement that they reserve the right to suspend your service at any time for what they call "Abuse" .. apparently "Abuse" to Shaw.ca is doing what they invite you to do in their advertising campains. ie, use it all the time.. if you like to download lots of large files and video chat with high bandwidth then you are an abusive customer and shall be duely and summarily suspended for 7 days. .. i could go on forever about this because i'm so utterly P.Oed at them for suspending my service, but i shall leave it with this. If you're considering signing up with Shaw.ca and you are an avid user of the internet, i cannot recommend them one little bit. the speed is awesome, at least in my neighbourhood( North Vancouver) but what good is it if they kick you off when you take advantage of it??? anyhow, i immediately cancelled my service with Shaw and signed up for Telus DSL service. So far so good. it's only a third as fast downloading but from everything i can find out they do not have the same definition of "abuse" that Shaw does. and holy cow, the email service is super fast which is nice. I sure hope this review makes it past the dslreports review reviewers because everyone needs to know about this. the end.

Comments:

Review by avenger074 See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB

cannot comment as i am an employee of shaw

Comments:

Review by bw2003 See Profile

• Location: Marathon,ON
Good "Awsome Connection (6 Months After Launch Date)"
Bad "Extreamly Bad Customer Service"
Overall "Shaw@Home Overall Has To Be The Worset ISP Ever."

This complaint letter is no longer viewable by the public. I sincerely appreciate all comments and opinions that were posted in this review. Thanks for your time.

Ryan,

Comments:

Review by hazar See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Speed"
Bad "Erratic connection"
Overall "Not worth the additional effort in my case."

When I moved to my new apartment, I moved my Shaw account with me. Field service showed up to split the existing line and confirmed that all the levels were in spec.

Shortly after that my connection started dropping out. Phone support directed me to short out the coax and power cycle the modem. After a month or so of this I got field service to come out again to check the levels on the advice of a phone tech who deemed my packet loss as unacceptable.

Tech #1 - there's something wrong at the tap, we'll have to get the lines re-strung at the poles.

Senior Tech (week later) - I don't know what Tech #1 was talking about - the tap looks fine to me. Here, I'll put this booster on your modem and it'll take care of your problems.

Everything was find for about 3 months and the weather started to cool down and all hell broke loose again. Again I call support and get shunted through the short out the coax and power cycle the modem routine. Finally I get ANOTHER field tech out.

Tech #3 - Tap looks good, your levels look good - whoa! That filter is too strong - let me get you a lower one.

Another 3 months everything goes south again. (Weather started to warm up) Again - short out the coax and power cycle the modem. Another call to get field service out. I got stuck at work, but the tech left a note on my door.

Tech #4 - Tap looks good, levels look good coming in.

I continue to put up with this, until my digital cable signal starts going erratic. The solution provided by phone support? (Wait for it)
Short out the coax and power cycle the digital box.

As the weather starts cooling down again I have had to short out the coax DAILY to get on line and clean up the bottom 6 channels on my TV service.

Obviously there is an external issue here - ionized lines, bad grounding I don't know. I don't care either. Shaw obvious expected me to have infinite patience - I don't.

After more than a year of being jerked around - I have switched from Shaw to Telus to loss somewhere between 25% to 50% of my speed but gained 1000% reliability.

If it wasn't for a line-of-site issue I'd get a dish and get Shaw out of my house altogether. (I'm still having issues with my digital TV)

The heartbreaker here is that when it works it's fantastic. But why should I have to continually mess with something that is supposed to be trouble free?

What would it have taken to keep me as customer?
1. If you cannot isolate the issue - don't make stuff up. I'm also a tech - not Joe Average. I know when I'm being given the runaround.
2. Read the case history and stop wasting my time. If you can't fix it, don't run me through the "tell him to do this and call back" routine. I have also done phone support - I know that trick too.
3. Techs who contradict each other make the company as a whole look unprofessional.
4. Fix the issue, give me a timeline to fix the issue, inform me if there are going to be delays.

Comments:

Review by Ol_OO_ll_Ol See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Fast when set with dr tcp."
Bad "Terribly slow without dr tcp."
Overall "If you use shaw. If you don't tweak with dr tcp, you'll be slow."

I use shaw cable to listen to radio, read the news, look at interesting stuff, and email.

Shaw hasn't failed me. BECAUSE I tweaked my connection with dr tcp.

Microsoft has a default rwin of around 1700-ish and a mtu of 1500.
I found that setting to be too high. I really had to lower those numbers quite a bit before my speed was fast ALL the time.

I set dr tcp rwin/tcp recieve to 6946, and I set the mtu to 812. Restarted my computer, and WOW. I'm fast now.

My speed is 800 down 400 up CONSISTANTLY. All the time now.

I'm very happy with shaw cable internet. I can do everything I want to do, fast.
I click a link, ZAP it opens. Ha ha ha.

Shaw doesn't hastle me about using too much bandwidth. They are nice when I phone in to technical support. And $40.00 dollars is an ok price for such FAST internet. I don't have a contract where I have to keep shaw.

Bottom line Shaw is nice. WITH DR TCP.

Update.

I've tried to ping the shaw servers using a mtu of 1500 (mss of 1460). It timed out.

So I tweaked dr tcp to use a
mtu 388
rwin/tcp recieve 17400.

I can ping the shaw servers pretty well using that mtu number.

My Seattle speeds are 1765 / 345
»/speedtests/17···70525172

My tweak test.»ny-monitor.dslreports.com/tweak/···a=normal

Now. I'm updating to tell you. Shaw is unreasonably timing out, with default xp home settings, when I browse the internet.

It's a sad state that I had to use such a small mtu just so I could contact the shaw servers at any time of the day or night.

It will get incredibly fast without this kind of mtu tweak when the new modems, the dosis 2 modems come out. But this is the way it is now.

member for 10.9 years, 29 visits, last login: 10.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by kLavack See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "None"
Bad "unreliable for website browsing, horrible for game play, to many spikes"
Overall "I used to like it but now i hate it"

ISP - Shaw Cable

Location - Ontario

Cost - 39.95$ / month

Shaw makes their internet sound better than it actually is. I chose shaw over the DSL company because of their commercials, saying they were 'blazing fast speed' and '24/7'. Well, ive had this cable now for 1 - 2 years, and my speed is maybe as fast as dialup, and goes down at least twice a week. When I call my shaw tech support, i get put on hold for 40 minutes, so the guy could run some 'tests'. When he gets back he says he ran some thorough tests and it seems that NOTHING is wrong with my cable line, and that it must be my pc (2.6 Ghz, 256 DDR Ram, 533 FSB, Intel 10/100 VE NIC, recently formatted because i was trying to solve the issue thinking it was something i did) So anyways, i've called them 3 times and now they're saying its the nimda and worm viruses fault, and that they're 'working on it'. Well, ive been expierencing this crap for 2 months now, and if they dont solve the issue by january im switching to dsl, im not to eager to switch to dsl because its capped at 1250 down, 512 up. I was very happy with my cable service before but now im disgusted with this crap.

Comments:

Review by LittleStone See Profile

• Location: Winnipeg,MB
Good "Extremely fast, only if it works"
Bad "Crowded node in Winnipeg remained crowded even you complaint"
Overall "Get it only if your neighbour's experience on Shaw is good"

Ordered the service on September 4, 2003, and installation could not come before September 21, 2003 (the same day I ordered satellite TV service, and the satellite TV is working 4 days later.)

The installation went smoothly, and the connection was good during the day. But before september 30, 2003, the download speed went down to 80KBps or below (even from support.shaw.ca server's speedtest). Called Shaw at 11:00pm, and was onhold for 50 minutes before an agent picked up the phone. Went through a series of test to make sure my computer is working properly. They send a technician 3 days later and check. The technician determined that the node was overcrowded and splitted the node the day before he came to my apartment. The speed went up to 130KBps and we were happy. The technician was saying that because we lived closed to University of Manitoba, there are so many students who are bandwidth hog.

Two weeks later, the speed dropped to 60KBps or below, any time of the day. Mid-October is the time I discovered that my computer got so many pings from people who were infected with the worm. I did all the tests I did with the technicians last time, and also the test results from the Tools section here, and send the results to Shaw by email. 2 days later they replied that they need to perform more test with me, and ask me to call their support number. Still the same onhold for more than half hour and I was running out of airtime, so I called the next weekend when I get more airetime. I explain I had send the email and the technician just ask me to defrag the hard drive and apply the tweak from www.speedguide.net to my computers. I asked whether my node is overcrowded, he said the loading is only 32%. I told him that I have two computers which are newly installed, but he insists they did not have any problem on their side anyway.

I was pissed, and decided to switch service to MTS already. But to prove that Shaw's support in Winnipeg is sub-par, I did do the defrag and tweaking. Re-run all the tests and get the same bad results. I called again at 2:00am, was onhold for more than 15 minutes before another agent answer my call. I told this agent the story, and he ran some tests (for 5 minutes or so) on their side and he told me that the node is running at maximum load. I said, so, Shaw is going to fix it, right? He said, yes, they need to hunt down the problem, and he gave me a reference number such that I can refer to it next time I ask.

A week gone by, there was still no improvement (except the Sunday morning is always to good time to use internet.) I send in an email with the reference number to ask about the progress, and made clear of myself if there is no concrete answer from Shaw, I was about to stop subscription. I still have not received any response from Shaw after 3 days.

I asked my friend who lived in the same building as mine, he has the same problem.

I heard some other part of Winnipeg is getting decent speed from Shaw. I would not recommend their service given their support quality. It pissed customers off when they deny their network problem and put the blame on customers. But to be fair to Shaw, ask your neighbour's opinion before you order. If there is no problem in your area, you may not experience problem in your side. But if there is an existing problem in your area, it may not be resolved in a timely manner.

BTW, the longer version of my story with Shaw can be found here,

»Long term battle

To those people who like to bash users with bad experience with Shaw: I used Rogers High Speed and Bell Sympatico High Speed before, although they do have their problems, but their service and technical support has not been as bad as Shaw in Winnipeg. If you have good experience in Winnipeg, tell us your area, I would move there.

[updated Nov 22, 2003]

I cut my service today. We went to Shaw in Winnipeg in person to return the modem. The customer service said the technical support is under-staffed for sometime already, and it normally took them a long time to answer the phone (something like since August?) They did not bait us to stay with Shaw though, I guess that's how much confidence in their technical support to resolve the issues.

member for 11 years, 760 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by n_reddy See Profile

• Location: Surrey,BC
Good "Tech support was always available."
Bad "They weren't very good, and were experts at lame excuses."
Overall "Look for another ISP."

Hi there. I've been using Shaw "High Speed Internet" for quite some time. Close to a year now, and I can honestly say it is not worth the money, and put bluntly; a disgrace to the term "High Speed".

My story;

Back in January 2002, when I first recieved Shaw, it was downloading about 200-300 kb, and about 50-60 up. Not thinking this was slow, or familiar with Telus ADSL, I continued using Shaw, and joined several development groups, which required tremoundous amounts of download (bandwidth). Not thinking much of it, I continued, and eventually around May 2003, my monthly download limit peaked at 50 gigs a month.

Not too much right? Especially since I was chugging along at 30-40 kb download, and 5-10 kb upload. Absolutely pissed off with the slowness, I contacted Shaw, only to recieve the answer, "we cannot do anything about it, it's reasonable". Already pissed off, in May I recieved a warning to limit my bandwidth consumption to much MUCH less (15 gigs). I asked why? This is "high speed" internet, and hell most of the time it's slower then 56k, so what's the problem. Apparently 15 gigs is their undefined limit.

"Alright" I said, but I specifically asked for a warning if my bandwidth ever got too high again. They replied yes, as in YES we will call and make an attempt.

Time passes to July, and my bandwidth again goes too high to 30gb and a gloomy morning later, I wake up to find my internet shut off. Wondering why (I knew it might have been the bandwidth issue), I called them up. Apparently I was using too much bandwidth _again_, but here's the hook;

It wasn't their responsibility or obligation to WARN ME before they suspended my service for a full week even though they have verbally confirmed they would. I know verbal agreements don't have much meritt, but then again the phone operator had taken "foot notes" of what occurred during my first warning. Apparently I was told to install a independent bandwidth monitor, and to watch myself, the usage. I asked, what about the phone call warning agreement I asked for. "Nope it wasn't mentioned, or asked for, and it isn't our responsibility". What a crock of shit!

Not their responsibility or obligation? How long would it take them to phone me once, to warn me, or to mail me? "Sorry sir, it's not our obligation".

The End

So you tell me, pathetic or not? I think so. One; their bandwidth limits are reaching 10gb a month, and anyone with a brain would know that "high speed" internet will easily reach this goal within days, especially if you actually use broadband for the purpose for which it was designed for, and secondly; "It's not our responsibility, or obligation". That's absolutely pathetic. It takes only 5 minutes to leave a message, and only 2 weeks to mail a warning (like Telus does). Apparently with the mail, "it may be too late before we could reach you". Real sad. I highly recommend you do not use Shaw, as it is slow, has it's proxies blocked by deviantart.com, and several other popular forum communities, and their tech support taking the easy way out.

And the punch line? They can give you a payment warning 1 day after it's due, but not a AUS warning. Larf :|

member for 11.2 years, 16 visits, last login: 10.1 years ago