Shaw page on DSLReports

Review by Speed bot See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Was good, but NOT Now, Don't subscribe!"
Bad "Shaws has become the extremely greedy, and an expensive product, with overcharges"
Overall "Do NOT subscribe to Shaw cable, extremely high priced, low bandwidth allotment's "

Been with Shaw for over 20 years, was kinda happy because they had a faster internet than other ISP's in my area, always had their fastest tier.

Major change in their direction. Sold me a package upgrade with 400GB bandwidth, increased it to 500GB 1 year later, saying we are happy to give you this because we are not afraid of Netflix, THEN dropped my bandwidth cap 3 months later to below first package agreement/sign-up to 350GB, but kept the same $150.00 price, then tells me I can buy data packs to acquire my old bandwidth sign-up of 400GB or charge me $1.00 per GB if I go over NEW 350GB bandwidth cap.

I have been lied to, spoken to by Shaw's arrogant reps as I'm an idiot and there is no better service provider out there. During ANY service call your expected to way your entire day for them, wasting or missing one days work to get a problem fixed. Phone techs are clueless (reading off a "what to do next" checklist) and a waste of time to deal with.

DO NOT USE SHAW, go with another service provider for all your services. I have never been treated by a company so poorly as I have with Shaw recently even with my 20+ years of service, it seems to mean sh*t!! to them.

Update Oct 9/2013: Shaw is up to its greedy tactics again. After their Usage based billing fiasco, Shaw offered unlimited bandwidth for an additional $20.00 per month on their higher tiers, now that unlimited option for any speed tier is a staggering $100.00 no matter if you have a 10mbps connection or 250mbps connection. This ridiculous pricing with their ongoing rate increases with no improved server or any increase on base bandwidth allotment's or speed, shows Shaw doesn't care on customer satisfaction.

member for 4 years, 141 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:
Chilli

join:2013-10-05
Canada
·Shaw

"Was good, but NOT Now, Don't subscribe!"

Looks like everyone is getting in line to take a swipe at this outfit. Where are you in the country? I can't get my head around how squirrelly Shaw's logic is, how they are continually messing around with pricing, contract language, features, limits etc. You know, if they would just back off and leave people alone, leave their plans alone and if their product is so bloody good, people will come to them by word of mouth alone. If the product is so good, they don't need to offer months off, and two months at 30 dollars off to Telus customers to get them to switch. Telus isn't guaranteeing anything, their bandwidth is always expressed in "up to 25 Mbps or up to 50 Mbps". That wouldn't give me much incentive to go with them. Shaw's performance is pretty consistent. Shaw's real untapped market is their own existing customers on the 6 and 10 Mbps service plans. That's what I thought was going on when I ordered their 50 Mbps service. They told me to take a flying leap at the moon after I ordered it then they proceeded to redefine the english language to justify how they implement their promotion. ....I did not have sexual relations with that woman.....Miss Lowinsky....and you can order this service plan at regular price if you want to.

Review by MerinX See Profile

Bad "Whiny about Bandwith Limits"
Overall "Go with Telus Novus Teksavvy sasktel if you use a lot and do not need the faster speeds"

Been with Shaw for years until they cut off my Internet right before the Alberta floods, Switched to Telus 50. So far so good, more updates to come.

Comments:

Review by Finalitius See Profile

Bad "Completely rude Chinese support, threaten to charge more upon discontinued service"

I've been a Shaw customer for more than 8 years. I switched from dial-up to the "high-speed lite" at 14 kilobytes/sec shaw service.

The service was great, customer support was awesome, I loved the service. Until a few months back - when I wanted to opt out of the service altogether due to service charges for student rates being cancelled - the amount on the bill had literally DOUBLED from the student rate, AND the speed was at 20mbps instead of 25mbps.

I called them up, wasting a total of an hour. Just to get the following statements.

I asked: What happened to my bill, I thought I was on student rates.
"Student rates are no longer available" - I was told that as long as I remain a student, the rates will not change, so long I provide proof that I was one. I was PROMISED.

Thus, I wanted to opt out, this wasn't what I wanted, and they had no permanent fix to this problem.
"If you want to opt out, you'll need to return the modem to us - if not, you'll be charged additional money" - I was told before that I can have them come pick it up free of charge.

Lastly, I asked about the entrance rates and why old customers like me don't get the same treatment
"This has been a tradition in the western world, we always want new customers, if you don't like it, you can opt out." - What the fuck? This is completely rude and uncalled for.

I've been lied to and insulted by a service that I used for more than 8 years.

The English service was better, as they actually offered some sort of temporary solution, thus the 1 point in services. But the temporary fix had ended.

Comments:

Review by crazyea See Profile

• Location: Surrey,BC
Good "Off peak speeds. Price."
Bad "Peak time speeds. Phone line isnt as stable as I'd like."
Overall "Regardless of flaws it's still better than Telus at the moment."

Overall I am happy with the service. Why because there isn't another competitive option in terms of internet speed at the moment. And the price is quite decent.

- Yes I wish the tv packages were better. There are two many of my go to channels spread across useless theme packages.
- The phone line is good when it works. In all of my years on Telus it never went down even one time. Shaw phone has been down at least 3 times for a full day in the 3-4 months I have been a customer.
- The off peak speeds are great. The peak time speeds drop below 60% of package speeds and even on occasion much worse. I have had 29mbps on a Sunday night on the 100mbps service.
- Customer support isn't useful at all. They call to troubleshoot a peak time problem in the daytime and then say they cant do anything about it.
- Hold times to speak to a human over there are off the charts.
- If you don't need the overall speeds shaw offers, Telus was a much more consistent service.

EDIT:
- The gateway I purchased still has not received the promised features almost two years later.
- The BB100 is relatively consistent.
- The phone services has been stable over the past year.
- Shaw increases prices on a much too frequent basis.
- My tv service still lacks channels at a competitive price.
- I have the stupid gateway and I'm pretty much locked in unless I was to pay it out.
- Overall the service is decent at best, and Shaws tactics, customer service, and pricing increases are awful.
- If you can deal with slower speeds elsewhere, I'd suggest people look there instead.

Comments:

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

Victoria, BC

Re: Speeds

said by jtl999:

Telus has 50mbps now.

In Select areas. And still has some of the worst technical/customer support in Canada and non-bridgeable modems.
Anon filter enabled. Register an account if you want to be taken seriously.

Darhole
join:2005-06-14
Edmonton, AB
·TELUS

Re: Speeds

My experience with Telus has been much more favorable as far as customer service goes than Shaw, one of the reasons I switched after being a 10 year shaw customer.

Second, you can bridge Telus modems just fine, you just have to know what to do (they do not, and will not) provide the info.

crazyea

join:2006-10-26
Surrey, BC
·Shaw
I was actually going to switch to Telus to get the free tv, but I had a contract a couple of years ago for their Satellite and opted out early (paid the exit fee). They said I could have the service but I wouldn't be eligible for the free TV (I never received a gift prior). This seemed very unreasonable to me so I decided to stay with Shaw.

Review by Cartel See Profile

• Location: Chilliwack,BC
Good "Nothing good about Shaw"
Bad "Total rip-off"
Overall "I'd rather read a book than pay for Shaw"

·TekSavvy DSL
·TELUS
Shaw is a complete rip-off.
They take away channels that have been part of basic cable for decades.
Shaw also re-broadcasts all the shows, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.......they play the same commercials over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
Also the commercials are way frigging loud, you gotta turn the crap down.

To pay more than car insurance to watch TV is a crime IMO.

They have crap programs.

I got rid of cable TV 3 years ago and am so happy I did.
Now if I go to a friends and they have the TV on, I am reminded of how bad it sucks.

Comments:

hereyabrooo

@telus.net

censorship runs rampant

if canadas constitutional justice system were to actually work.... the canadian heritage minister(enforcer of program substitution for canadian advertisers profits) along with the big 3 owners of all media in canada,, would be in prison for life for their crimes against 'freedom of communication'.

300 channels and only the 'pure U.S.' ones are watchable without wearing out the mute button on the remote. Let us all turn away when a 'much music' commercial is on one of the other specially channels, to avoid eyes rolling into the back of our heads in pure disgust of the low intelligence quotient of them.

In case people outside of canada are wondering: Canadian commercials are often repeated every 10-15 minutes and its the exact same commercial and is repeated in this fashion over and over for at least 6 months in a row before they invest in creating a new version of the commercial(maybe make a new version). Otherwise any gaps in programming with no commercial advertisers available are sometimes filled with pretend 'public service announcements' that are 1% of the population trying to force their personal views on 99% of the population(also known as prohibitionists and false numbers hawkers).

For those on Rogers cable: He pioneered inserting his commercials(canadian commercials inserted into 'pure U.S. television' channel commercials streams) without permission of the U.S. station being played on a canadian cable tv broadcaster(shaw, rogers, bell). It is a crime but his company owns/rents/manipulates politicians via various shady practices(like lobbying) in order to avoid prison time and billion dollar fines. To rich people, a 10 million dollar fine is pocket change.

If you canadians get the oppurtunity to see netflix and its u.s. version, you will scream over the lack of content on the canadian netflix version. A canadian bought the canadian rights to a program/movie and then sits on it forever without allowing it to be played to anyone.

Cartel
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Re: censorship runs rampant

stridr69

join:2003-05-19
San Luis Obispo, CA

Wow!

What's sad is "pure" Estados Unidos television is absolute CRAP! And I mean the only way I watch is to record something and fastforward the program through the commercials. I never watch "live" TV if I can help it. TiVo is your friend. And it's too bad about Netflix up north, they just signed a major deal with Disney.

Review by mbruni See Profile

• Location: Sault Ste Marie,ON
Good "310SHAW is their support number fyi remember it if you go with them you will need to be calling it several times"
Bad "Super slow and variable speeds, wish I had reliable dialup some times"
Overall "Crap go with another company if you can"

Speed fluctuates all over the place and ping times are random. Some times during the year the service will go off for days at a time or one day it will work the other 2 it wont and this will go on for around a month at a time. Expect to reliably get 1/4 of the speed you signed up for. Now with these caps and charges their applying I will be switching asap. I have extreme. If nothing else is available in your area then I feel sorry for you.

Comments:
Mustafa

join:2006-10-04

Who else is their?

It's either Shaw or Bell or one of their resellers. That means if you get a Shaw reseller you are going to have the same problems.

That's the big problem any city in Canada has one cable company and one TELCO. They keep jacking up the price and the service keeps getting worse. This could only be possible in either a government run enterprise or a monopoly. Try selling donuts and keep decreasing the quality and size while simultaneously jacking the price,you would be bankrupt in no time.

If the government is going to keep allowing these protected monopolies they should step in and regulate price hikes like they do for utilities.

que the fanboys.

Review by wilburyan See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Installed within 2 business days"
Bad "The new hard caps offer no value & evening slow downs"
Overall "Stay away... Shaw's overage billing utopia will eventually screw you"

Quick review on the service... had it for 3 months. Had one internet disconnection for a few hours early in the morning... which normally wouldn't have been a problem, except my security alarm is connected to the phone line. So the alarm panel beeping at 5AM woke us up because the phone line was disconnected. We received no advanced notice of the outage, I found out after the fact that it was for an upgrade.

Speeds, I only saw full speed in the morning. Prime time right until I went to bed... I would be lucky to see 500KB/second... and upload in the evening for P2P was usually capped at 10KB/second. (was paying for extreme... 1500KB down) Apple movie trailers won't play properly... you get about 10 seconds of playing... 10 seconds of buffering. Netflix HD content would stop playing 2 or 3 times as it backed the bitrate off.

The caps shaw is currently imposing on it's customers are only going to get more and more restrictive as video streaming becomes more and more popular. Because of the caps alone... I would only use shaw as a last resort.

member for 12.2 years, 539 visits, last login: 1.8 years ago

Comments:
Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Not sure what the reviewer is talking about

Can you please provide the documentation the supports your claims that UBB has been implemented and that users are being charged for the said overages
lostspaceman

join:2012-07-26
T3N0K7
·Shaw

Re: Not sure what the reviewer is talking about

The jump off a cliff reaction to data caps on this site is hysterical. I have yet to hear of a single person actually getting charged for going over... Most of these have bashed Shaw to the extreme and jumped over to Telus, who is now lowering their data caps and implementing overage charges (according to their website anyhow).

What gets me is that they're not happy just hating Shaw, they go after people who are happy with their service and malign them for it.

Review by danimaltron See Profile

• Location: Mission,BC
Good "internet speed relative to Telus."
Bad "Speed relative to advertised plan. Customer service. Missed appointment. Failure to resolve situation."
Overall "I was given terrible customer support. Wasted my time. Installer who didn't listen. Sales person who wasn't knowledgeable."

I was moving to a new home Aug 18 which was a Saturday. I scheduled my install about 3.5 weeks in advance.

Come Saturday, I was moving to my new home. It was very hot and I was of course very busy, and tired. I paused moving, and waited at my new home for the 2 hour window. Nobody showed up. So I called Shaw, and they tell me the appointment was cancelled! They couldn't tell me WHY it was cancelled though.

I was of course pretty upset. But nobody could offer me anything to make it up to me, except waiving the installation fee when they could come back in 4 days. Nobody cared that I've been a customer for 6+ years, have another residential account and also have a business account.

So I scheduled a new appointment and waited.

I then discovered the last owners left their modem behind. I plugged it in... and it worked! But to my dissapointment, it was incredibly slow and unusable for my needs.

I remembered I had an older black motorola surfboard type modem from before the plans were upgraded. So I asked Shaw if they could hook me up with the fastest plan that used this modem for a few days while I waited for the tech to come out. Nope. Against their policy. And it would mean having to cancel my existing appointment.

Again, Shaw demonstrated their policy's are anti-customer and nobody is willing to allowed to go above and beyond to make it right with a disgruntled customer.

When the tech arrived, I had left typed out instructions for him that were very detailed. I wanted the modem to be put in BRIDGE MODE. My wife said the installer said "ok" and hooked it up. When I got home, I saw he didn't listen at all, and hooked the modem up in regular wifi/router mode in front of my existing router. Seriously? How amateur is it so setup a double-NAT and wifi for a customer?

I signed up for Broadband 100. I did a speed test, and I was getting 10-25 Mbits down from Shaw's speed test. This was from behind my router, and also connected directly to the modem.

So, now I have a tech coming out again. And I fully suspect he will blame my house or something else for the speed problems. The nodes in Mission are likely congested and need upgrades and therefore cannot provide the advertised speeds. But they won't admit that.

In summary, my experience was absolutely terrible. Nobody genuinely cares or tried to do anything to fix it, or help me out.

If I can't get advertised speeds, I don't see much reason to NOT switch to Telus.

Comments:

The E
Please allow me to retort
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC

Ouch, bad experience.

It certainly sounds like a bad experience, and I'd like to unofficially apologize on the company's behalf. That being said, many things can go wrong on an install. The installer may have requested the office to put your modem into bridged mode, but there may be a signal issue/failure. The tech may not have noticed this during setup.

You're allowed to rant, but you haven't really given Shaw a chance to get things up and running yet; you've just moved into a home where you have no idea how good or shoddy the internal wiring is. How can Shaw know?

Making blanket statements regarding a lack of genuine caring and node congestion is disingenuous and nasty. Many, many employees at Shaw genuinely care about their customers. But of course, there are a few asshats that need to be weeded out. They usually are.

I hope your issue gets resolved; I hope you'll report back with an update. Sorry again for the frustrations you've dealt with.
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"
danimaltron

join:2012-08-23

Missing the point

They had ample time to make things right in my opinion. They screwed up by cancelling my appointment for no reason, without notice, wasting many hours of my time during an already stressful time. Then, the tech screwed up by not waiting to ensure the modem was in bridge mode when he did finally show up. And he showed up late.
And your support has told me several times modem levels look fine, if not perfect.

For all the trouble and annoyance, I was offered absolutely nothing to make up for it. No "hey, sorry for screwing up, here's some free HD channels for 6 months." or ANYTHING. The point is, out of the 4-6 different people I talked to, none of them cared enough, or aren't allowed, to try make it right with a disgruntled customer with a long history of service with Shaw.

Since then, I've been testing and logging speeds at different times of the day for a couple weeks. Speeds are better at non-peak times on certain days. But, I guess I'm still being disingenuous, and my home's wiring could result in higher speeds in the middle of the night?

I was previously a big fan of Shaw, having a terrible experience with Telus 8-10 years ago and their nasty contracts. I have seen Shaw's service slowly degrade the last few years, as their customer base has seemed to of grown significantly. I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Before the company develops a culture of complacency and starts rotting it from within, it should be looked at honestly.

Review by Lakebottom See Profile

• Location: Sylvan Lake,AB
Good "The phone works great, and no down time on TV or Internet."
Bad "Intermittent connection for Internet speeds"
Overall "The bill just went to high after all the perks expired, so we downgraded."

The connection is really intermittent and drives me crazy tring to work on the internet. We are considering digital phone service but they will have to prove reliability before we go deeper into their service pool.
speed is 3250kb for a 5mb line with a 650kb upload.
We got the newest cable modem just recently, its pretty cheap so it maybe part of our problem with the service. The bundling of service saves about 3 bucks a month.
We are considering ADSL for reliability.

I should have mentioned that this connection is at the church In Sylvan Lake. The connection I use at home is a Telus ADSL 6.0 Extreme.
9/6/2012
The bill rose to 172 for her house, so we reviewed the services and scaled back. She is now on 10 Mbs, basic phone and one theme pack...105 bucks. Telus is even cheaper in this combination, so she may switch back to the old provider.
The church connection is a cable connection which is broadcast wireless with in the church due to cabling restrictions for the workstation. I was having serious problems with the wireless broadcast, so I upgraded the network to an N class router and N class antennae NIC. The security was lowered to almost the lowest encryption, in an attempt to keep the wireless connection stable. The wireless signal strength is low almost all the time but now there are very few disconnects.

The testing was conducted using a wired connection to the router (temp). ADSL would be difficult given the complexity of the phone system at the church.

11/07/2011

The church has switched to Telus ADSL. I am no longer maintaing the system due to new employees. It seems to be working fine.

11/07/2011

The girlfriend has Shaw on all services. It wasn't easy getting them to all work correctly. She has full telephone package, 50mb Internet and 2 TV modems (1 HD and one digital).
The Internet is no where near the promised speed yet, but the neibourhood is being upgraded to a better service level so this may improve. The bill is over 145 per month for all these services.....and they don't all work perfectly yet. We were given a SMC wireless gateway, which seems to have some error correction issues. The house has a lot of splitters in it. The first splitter being a 4 way splitter, one line goes to phone back-up power supply, another to SMC router and two cable jacks and the other two go to two more cable jacks. The house only has 2 TVs and 4 potential cable locations. I am going to disconnect the unused jacks and reduce some of the splitting, trying to improve the dB loss on the lines.
Cable modem download speeds are extremely unstable as measured by speed test. I hope they fix the cable network in Sylvan soon, otherwise all services are going back to Telus, which is extremely stable and reliable.

09/06/2012

The GF downgraded all services and got the bill to 105 loonies. Basic phone, 10Mbs and basic cable with one theme pack. We are considering switching back to Telus, because we can sign for all three for 45 loonies for 6 months, then back to 95 loonies. She hates switching providers beause its extremely a royal pain in the butt. Who has time for all this 'inconvienent' hookup stuff.
The Shaw services have been pretty good. The Internet speeds are all over the map, very, very inconsistent high speed service....I checked several times. We got lots of excuses for the problems but they have never really been solved. No down time to speak of. It took about three truck rolls to get things working.

Comments:

Review by No_Spark See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
Good "Few outages"
Bad "Very Poor HDTV definition, Cable speed is inconsistent"
Overall "Very expensive for an average service provider"

Shaw is, sadly, indicative of Canadian service providers.
Very expensive $154 for Internet (5-10 Mbs), TV, and HDTV.
The up-time is excellent, for residential.
The download speed is very inconsistent, slow some days, faster others
The analog TV channels are very poor quality
The HDTV is not as clear as it should be, perhaps too much compression

There are few choices in Canada for cost effective connections, so we have to do with what we have available.