Shaw page on DSLReports

Review by techfan5 See Profile

• Location: Victoria,BC
Good "very fast connection"
Bad "connection flaps and drops randomly for a minute or two randomly. service officialy THE WORST ever. Even worse than Telus was."
Overall "shaw jumped on ubb like hogs at a trough. service is costly but edges ahead of the comp despite the pathetic service"

i thought of going dsl but shaw has better throughput. I have 2 pvr's with expanders and 2 flatscreens, plus an extensive home network and nas server, telus couldnt handle the volume. shaw can but their advance billing crappy service and ubb drains my soul as well as my wallet,

Comments:
Lesaonar

join:2000-07-25

Beaumont, AB

Should be Deleted

Wha UBB? Wow some revues should just be deleted

Re: Should be Deleted

Get used to it. The internet--in countries with freedom of expression at least--has become a fetid pool into which any lout/spammer/troll/baitswitcher can jump. The more I hear of the "communications revolution" the more it appears to me as a "devolution", with empirical truth as its prime victim.

Yes, the "review" in question is a flat out falsehood but keeping it "in" is preferable to censoring it "out".
ilianame

join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC

Re: Should be Deleted

My favourite colour is Chezz!
Canada
Um, excuse me? Shaw has data caps, just like almost every single Canadian ISP. I think what OP meant is that Shaw responded quickly to the negative press generated by Bell's attempt to get their CRTC lapdogs to allow them to impose UBB on wholesalers.

"Like hogs at a trough" - as in they correctly identified the UBB scandal for the PR nightmare that it was - and went into strategic damage control mode to look like the good guys.

They held consumer consultations (I attended the one in Winnipeg) and as a result they raised their caps - which they had just recently lowered - but they certainly never did away with retail UBB.

I've been with Shaw for two years now - only because the other options are even worse - but recently I've begun to experience the same connection drops described by OP. Really annoying if you're trying to do anything in real time online.

show me!
(show me hard caps on any Shaw aup)

»shaw.ca/Terms-of-Use/#section4
Bam!

Re: Should be Deleted

Perhaps I should have said, "Show me a single case of a Shaw user being CHARGED for excessive usage." I've been aware of that document forever, and I'm also fully aware that my specific program (bb50) carries a nominal monthly limit of 400, (plus 50 since I have three services). I did say "hard" caps and I have yet to see posters on this forum who have been charged for overages on Shaw.

I have been repeatedly informed by Shaw personnel that NO hard caps (ie: excessive use fees) will be in place until at least August, 2012, and possibly well after that.

Insofar as Shaw's potential usage tiers are concerned, they seem eminently reasonable to me, but that is not the point of this correspondence. In any event, enough of this.

Cheers

Re: Should be Deleted

"‡ The Bump-Up Program will come into effect August of 2012. The Bump-Up Program will temporarily bump you up to the next Broadband Internet package until the end of your current billing cycle if you exceed your current Broadband Internet monthly data allowance.
You will be able to receive a higher data allowance and enjoy faster Internet speeds. All you will have to do is pay the difference, and the first time you go over well give it to you for free!
On the first day of the following billing cycle you will return to your original Broadband package and your Internet data allowance will be restored."

marian22

@shawcable.net

Re: Should be Deleted

His review says 'ubb drains his wallet' which is clearly a lie. Shaw has never charged for going over the usage limit. The Bump-Up program is (tentatively) scheduled for August 2012. That hasn't even happened yet.
Lesaonar

join:2000-07-25
Victoria, BC
Bump up is not UBB. UBB is a overage cost per unit (usually GB). Bump up is not a per unit charge, you pay the difference between your current tier and the one above it and gain the benefits of increased caps/speed at a minimal cost. UBB was never implemented so no-one has been charged $$$ under the UBB scheme.

The OP was never charged anything under the UBB, as claimed, because it doesn't exist.
Anon filter enabled. Register an account if you want to be taken seriously.

Re: Should be Deleted

Wow. Just, wow. The 2011 UBB decision related to what incumbents could charge to wholesale providers. The CRTC does not regulate retail rates. All major carriers have data caps, hence usage based billing DOES exist and almost all plans offered by major carriers have UBB. Some may or may not charge but "Bump Up" definitely is UBB since if you USE more data you are BILLED more for that use.

Review by voqk726 See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Easy enough for them to set it up"
Bad "Terriblem inconsistent speeds, useless tech support"
Overall "Would never sign another contract with Shaw"

I've been using Shaw internet for 6 months now, and have been blown away by the total inconsistency in connection speed. To touch briefly on "Pre sales information" and "Install Co-ordination", these were both fine - but they also don't really matter. It's not difficult to plug a modem into the wall. The actual internet (what I'm paying for) is terrible - often times I'm unable to load even the most basic webpages, such as Google. Streaming video usually needs to be buffered for at least as long as the video is to watch it (this includes youtube) and downloading movies through iTunes takes forever.

To qualify the above, I have a degree in Computer Science from UBC and work for a major international software company. I also worked throughout college at another major international computer companies retail stores diagnosing internet issues. I'm very qualified to diagnose a problem connection, and the clear source of my problem is Shaw. Whenever I attempt to get them to realize and fix the problem, I get the run-around and no progress is made.

All in all, the tech support is nonexistent, and the service is terrible. The dial-up connection I had in 1999 was more consistent, and comparable in terms of average speed. I will not buy internet from Shaw within the next decade, and past that only if they demonstrate significant improvement. Bottom line: Go elsewhere.

Comments:
kevinds
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

Contract?

Shaw doesn't have contracts.

You may have a 12 month promo, but you can definately cancel anytime.
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

Re: Contract?

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't happy with the support you received. My door is always open on the boards here should you like to discuss anything in the future. Technical or not.

Cheers.
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

Chuck sTruck

@teksavvy.com

This is the real reason

The problem is Canada and the Canadian political system. These problems don't exist in the rest of the world. Unless these isp's are sued to the nines for robbing the Canadian public nothing will change. We are owed hundreds of billions of dollars we've been robbed of in the past.

Review by cableguyi7 See Profile

• Location: Richmond,BC
Good "Awesome Speeds for Download. somewhat reliable"
Bad "Terrible Upload Speed, Price"
Overall "tv and phone and internet bundle. got the regular internet"

Overall, the speeds are good for download, but upload wise its terrible.
The support has been downhill, the digital box hasn't worked for a week already, trying to get support but on hold for hrs.
And now on the bill it says it will increase the rate, seriously ? its already so pricey and it wants more ?

Been a customer ever since it started, in Vancouver B.C, the original provider was rogers or something, been customer for like over 11 years and i am tempted to swtich but theres no other good choices in my area

Comments:

Review by killthraka See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "Friendly staff"
Bad "Over priced for service,"
Overall "Over promised very under delivered."

The service is not that great, it is very over sold, and under delivered.

Comments:

Review by marcelgerber

• Location: New York,New York,NY

I am fast becoming disillusioned by Shaw Cable. The UBB debacle has
severely compromised my trust in the company, and obviously I don't feel
like being charged any more for the service.

The biggest issue, however. is the product. What we're getting is never
the quit what we pay for. The three locations that have indeed had Shaw
Cable have always had some or other issue. From latency to, packet loss
to complete signal drops. It's frustrating to pay such a high price for
a product that isn't what it was made out to be on the box.

(review was emailed from domain ymail.com)

Comments:

Review by pcguy See Profile

• Location: Winnipeg,MB
Good "Competition for other"
Bad "secret reversal of caps"
Overall "use only as a last resort"

Ordered the service and was never told that the current caps were being reduced and implementation of overage charges. Also was told erroneous information about the capabilities of their PVR.

Personally had not use Shaw for several years. Seems they have gotten worse and are less of a customer oriented company and more of a company squeezing their customers for their last dime.

Comments:

Review by Steve Smith2 See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "I suppose getting one bill for TV, Internet and Phone is nice...but expensive."
Bad "UBB; Unreliable service; speeds nowhere near advertised; unhelpful, inept technical support"
Overall "Stay away from these guys - It will end in tears."

Bought a brand new house in a new neighbourhood about a year ago. I purchased their "Extreme" High Speed offering, which promises 15 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. Since then the connection has been unreliable at best. I have never actually got anything above 10 Mbps, and even then, it is not a continuous 10 Mbps.

The other evening, my connection died, and the ham-n-eggers in Shaw tech support had no clue what to do. It's 3 days later, the repair guy is scheduled for the weekend, and they won't credit my account until the problem is resolved. I then have to sit on hold with Shaw for another 30-45 minutes just to get credit back for their crappy service in the first place.

The icing on the cake is that they recently dropped the bandwidth cap from 150 to 100 GB without notifying me, and there is no way to check your usage from their site, (the feature is only activated after you go over your bandwidth the first month). If you go over your bandwidth you are charged insane penalties.

I would only recommend Shaw if you are fan of crappy hold music, unreliable service, and paying too much for service you won't actually receive.

Comments:

Review by dbarron See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Shaw used to be OK but not any more"
Bad "Shaw just reduced caps drastically and started charging $2/GB for going over"
Overall "AVOID SHAW THEY ARE SNEAKY DISHONEST WALLET-SUCKING CREEPS TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THEIR NEAR MONOPOLY"

·TELUS
·TekSavvy Cable
We signed up for Shaw years ago because of the OK bandwidth cap and reasonable speed. They have just reduced the bandwidth cap by 30% and have instituted a $2 per GB overage fee. I guess they are trying to protect their TV interests from the likes of Netflix, and they want to extract a lot more money from their customers. They haven't bothered to inform their customers. This is SNEAKY UNDERHANDED GREEDY SLEAZY WALLET VACUUMING action of a OLIGOPOLIST. When I called to request exemption they were rude and condescending.

I am canceling Shaw and moving to another provider.

Dec 28: I have ordered TV, Internet and Phone service with another provider. Bye, Shaw! Hello Telus as of Jan 17!

Feb 13: Have been on Telus for a while now. it is just as fast, it is rock steady, it is more reliable, it has no caps. Got our first bill and it is CHEAPER. Suck it, Shaw!

member for 14.5 years, 1905 visits, last login: 4 days ago

Comments:

Review by Manatrite See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "None."
Bad "Drastically reduced service. Implemented overcharges without customer's consent. Kept raising prices."
Overall "pick your poison. As for now, I urge customers to DUMP all Shaw services."

Update: February 10th, 2010

Shaw has become a terrible company like Bell. Stay away from them at all cost.
I urge everyone to cancel their Shaw services if possible.

Overcharges, overpricing, and reduced services and the representatives of Shaw spewed lies to customers. This is unacceptable.

My Shaw Internet should be gone around February 17th.

A little too late for Shaw to save their face. Until this company revise the limit higher and to a much more reasonable level without gouging customers, there is no way I will be going back to Shaw.

Comments:

Review by blindpuppet See Profile

• Location: Richmond,BC
Good "fast compared to the competition and reliable"
Bad "high prices, low low usage CAPS/month, pricey overage fees & reduced caps w/out telling customers"
Overall "look else where if you could. i'd rather pay more money to a company that doesn't screw their loyal customers."

I was with Shaw ever since they took over from Rogers out here in the West Coast. we've been using Shaw internet services on all 3 different places we lived in through the past 11 years. i'm probably one of those lucky ones who got decent connection with them when we lived in a condo to a townhouse and on to a detach house. even the installs, on all 3 places, we've never had any major problems or anything.

Unfortunately, things have changed and so does Shaw. I've accepted all their price increase through out the years but when they deliberately lowered down their usage caps so they can screw us more, I realize its time to move on. I call bull on what they say is for the customers who doesn't even come close to their caps. Why not lower their prices if they don't come near it?

If you're with Shaw/Rogers/Bell, look for other alternative and make them as your last resort. those companies are not worth supporting and stop bending over backwards for them. they stifle innovation and competition making you pay way more than you should. You may not be affected by the UBB today but who's to say you will not in the next year or so.