Shaw page on DSLReports

Review by mbruni See Profile

• Location: Sault Ste Marie,ON
Good "310SHAW is their support number fyi remember it if you go with them you will need to be calling it several times"
Bad "Super slow and variable speeds, wish I had reliable dialup some times"
Overall "Crap go with another company if you can"

Speed fluctuates all over the place and ping times are random. Some times during the year the service will go off for days at a time or one day it will work the other 2 it wont and this will go on for around a month at a time. Expect to reliably get 1/4 of the speed you signed up for. Now with these caps and charges their applying I will be switching asap. I have extreme. If nothing else is available in your area then I feel sorry for you.

Comments:
Mustafa

join:2006-10-04

Who else is their?

It's either Shaw or Bell or one of their resellers. That means if you get a Shaw reseller you are going to have the same problems.

That's the big problem any city in Canada has one cable company and one TELCO. They keep jacking up the price and the service keeps getting worse. This could only be possible in either a government run enterprise or a monopoly. Try selling donuts and keep decreasing the quality and size while simultaneously jacking the price,you would be bankrupt in no time.

If the government is going to keep allowing these protected monopolies they should step in and regulate price hikes like they do for utilities.

que the fanboys.

Review by wilburyan See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Installed within 2 business days"
Bad "The new hard caps offer no value & evening slow downs"
Overall "Stay away... Shaw's overage billing utopia will eventually screw you"

Quick review on the service... had it for 3 months. Had one internet disconnection for a few hours early in the morning... which normally wouldn't have been a problem, except my security alarm is connected to the phone line. So the alarm panel beeping at 5AM woke us up because the phone line was disconnected. We received no advanced notice of the outage, I found out after the fact that it was for an upgrade.

Speeds, I only saw full speed in the morning. Prime time right until I went to bed... I would be lucky to see 500KB/second... and upload in the evening for P2P was usually capped at 10KB/second. (was paying for extreme... 1500KB down) Apple movie trailers won't play properly... you get about 10 seconds of playing... 10 seconds of buffering. Netflix HD content would stop playing 2 or 3 times as it backed the bitrate off.

The caps shaw is currently imposing on it's customers are only going to get more and more restrictive as video streaming becomes more and more popular. Because of the caps alone... I would only use shaw as a last resort.

member for 12.6 years, 539 visits, last login: 2.2 years ago

Comments:
Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Not sure what the reviewer is talking about

Can you please provide the documentation the supports your claims that UBB has been implemented and that users are being charged for the said overages
lostspaceman

join:2012-07-26
T3N0K7
·Shaw

Re: Not sure what the reviewer is talking about

The jump off a cliff reaction to data caps on this site is hysterical. I have yet to hear of a single person actually getting charged for going over... Most of these have bashed Shaw to the extreme and jumped over to Telus, who is now lowering their data caps and implementing overage charges (according to their website anyhow).

What gets me is that they're not happy just hating Shaw, they go after people who are happy with their service and malign them for it.

Review by danimaltron See Profile

• Location: Mission,BC
Good "internet speed relative to Telus."
Bad "Speed relative to advertised plan. Customer service. Missed appointment. Failure to resolve situation."
Overall "I was given terrible customer support. Wasted my time. Installer who didn't listen. Sales person who wasn't knowledgeable."

I was moving to a new home Aug 18 which was a Saturday. I scheduled my install about 3.5 weeks in advance.

Come Saturday, I was moving to my new home. It was very hot and I was of course very busy, and tired. I paused moving, and waited at my new home for the 2 hour window. Nobody showed up. So I called Shaw, and they tell me the appointment was cancelled! They couldn't tell me WHY it was cancelled though.

I was of course pretty upset. But nobody could offer me anything to make it up to me, except waiving the installation fee when they could come back in 4 days. Nobody cared that I've been a customer for 6+ years, have another residential account and also have a business account.

So I scheduled a new appointment and waited.

I then discovered the last owners left their modem behind. I plugged it in... and it worked! But to my dissapointment, it was incredibly slow and unusable for my needs.

I remembered I had an older black motorola surfboard type modem from before the plans were upgraded. So I asked Shaw if they could hook me up with the fastest plan that used this modem for a few days while I waited for the tech to come out. Nope. Against their policy. And it would mean having to cancel my existing appointment.

Again, Shaw demonstrated their policy's are anti-customer and nobody is willing to allowed to go above and beyond to make it right with a disgruntled customer.

When the tech arrived, I had left typed out instructions for him that were very detailed. I wanted the modem to be put in BRIDGE MODE. My wife said the installer said "ok" and hooked it up. When I got home, I saw he didn't listen at all, and hooked the modem up in regular wifi/router mode in front of my existing router. Seriously? How amateur is it so setup a double-NAT and wifi for a customer?

I signed up for Broadband 100. I did a speed test, and I was getting 10-25 Mbits down from Shaw's speed test. This was from behind my router, and also connected directly to the modem.

So, now I have a tech coming out again. And I fully suspect he will blame my house or something else for the speed problems. The nodes in Mission are likely congested and need upgrades and therefore cannot provide the advertised speeds. But they won't admit that.

In summary, my experience was absolutely terrible. Nobody genuinely cares or tried to do anything to fix it, or help me out.

If I can't get advertised speeds, I don't see much reason to NOT switch to Telus.

Comments:

The E
Please allow me to retort
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
·Shaw

Ouch, bad experience.

It certainly sounds like a bad experience, and I'd like to unofficially apologize on the company's behalf. That being said, many things can go wrong on an install. The installer may have requested the office to put your modem into bridged mode, but there may be a signal issue/failure. The tech may not have noticed this during setup.

You're allowed to rant, but you haven't really given Shaw a chance to get things up and running yet; you've just moved into a home where you have no idea how good or shoddy the internal wiring is. How can Shaw know?

Making blanket statements regarding a lack of genuine caring and node congestion is disingenuous and nasty. Many, many employees at Shaw genuinely care about their customers. But of course, there are a few asshats that need to be weeded out. They usually are.

I hope your issue gets resolved; I hope you'll report back with an update. Sorry again for the frustrations you've dealt with.
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"
danimaltron

join:2012-08-23

Missing the point

They had ample time to make things right in my opinion. They screwed up by cancelling my appointment for no reason, without notice, wasting many hours of my time during an already stressful time. Then, the tech screwed up by not waiting to ensure the modem was in bridge mode when he did finally show up. And he showed up late.
And your support has told me several times modem levels look fine, if not perfect.

For all the trouble and annoyance, I was offered absolutely nothing to make up for it. No "hey, sorry for screwing up, here's some free HD channels for 6 months." or ANYTHING. The point is, out of the 4-6 different people I talked to, none of them cared enough, or aren't allowed, to try make it right with a disgruntled customer with a long history of service with Shaw.

Since then, I've been testing and logging speeds at different times of the day for a couple weeks. Speeds are better at non-peak times on certain days. But, I guess I'm still being disingenuous, and my home's wiring could result in higher speeds in the middle of the night?

I was previously a big fan of Shaw, having a terrible experience with Telus 8-10 years ago and their nasty contracts. I have seen Shaw's service slowly degrade the last few years, as their customer base has seemed to of grown significantly. I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Before the company develops a culture of complacency and starts rotting it from within, it should be looked at honestly.

Review by Lakebottom See Profile

• Location: Sylvan Lake,AB
Good "The phone works great, and no down time on TV or Internet."
Bad "Intermittent connection for Internet speeds"
Overall "The bill just went to high after all the perks expired, so we downgraded."

The connection is really intermittent and drives me crazy tring to work on the internet. We are considering digital phone service but they will have to prove reliability before we go deeper into their service pool.
speed is 3250kb for a 5mb line with a 650kb upload.
We got the newest cable modem just recently, its pretty cheap so it maybe part of our problem with the service. The bundling of service saves about 3 bucks a month.
We are considering ADSL for reliability.

I should have mentioned that this connection is at the church In Sylvan Lake. The connection I use at home is a Telus ADSL 6.0 Extreme.
9/6/2012
The bill rose to 172 for her house, so we reviewed the services and scaled back. She is now on 10 Mbs, basic phone and one theme pack...105 bucks. Telus is even cheaper in this combination, so she may switch back to the old provider.
The church connection is a cable connection which is broadcast wireless with in the church due to cabling restrictions for the workstation. I was having serious problems with the wireless broadcast, so I upgraded the network to an N class router and N class antennae NIC. The security was lowered to almost the lowest encryption, in an attempt to keep the wireless connection stable. The wireless signal strength is low almost all the time but now there are very few disconnects.

The testing was conducted using a wired connection to the router (temp). ADSL would be difficult given the complexity of the phone system at the church.

11/07/2011

The church has switched to Telus ADSL. I am no longer maintaing the system due to new employees. It seems to be working fine.

11/07/2011

The girlfriend has Shaw on all services. It wasn't easy getting them to all work correctly. She has full telephone package, 50mb Internet and 2 TV modems (1 HD and one digital).
The Internet is no where near the promised speed yet, but the neibourhood is being upgraded to a better service level so this may improve. The bill is over 145 per month for all these services.....and they don't all work perfectly yet. We were given a SMC wireless gateway, which seems to have some error correction issues. The house has a lot of splitters in it. The first splitter being a 4 way splitter, one line goes to phone back-up power supply, another to SMC router and two cable jacks and the other two go to two more cable jacks. The house only has 2 TVs and 4 potential cable locations. I am going to disconnect the unused jacks and reduce some of the splitting, trying to improve the dB loss on the lines.
Cable modem download speeds are extremely unstable as measured by speed test. I hope they fix the cable network in Sylvan soon, otherwise all services are going back to Telus, which is extremely stable and reliable.

09/06/2012

The GF downgraded all services and got the bill to 105 loonies. Basic phone, 10Mbs and basic cable with one theme pack. We are considering switching back to Telus, because we can sign for all three for 45 loonies for 6 months, then back to 95 loonies. She hates switching providers beause its extremely a royal pain in the butt. Who has time for all this 'inconvienent' hookup stuff.
The Shaw services have been pretty good. The Internet speeds are all over the map, very, very inconsistent high speed service....I checked several times. We got lots of excuses for the problems but they have never really been solved. No down time to speak of. It took about three truck rolls to get things working.

Comments:

Review by No_Spark See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
Good "Few outages"
Bad "Very Poor HDTV definition, Cable speed is inconsistent"
Overall "Very expensive for an average service provider"

Shaw is, sadly, indicative of Canadian service providers.
Very expensive $154 for Internet (5-10 Mbs), TV, and HDTV.
The up-time is excellent, for residential.
The download speed is very inconsistent, slow some days, faster others
The analog TV channels are very poor quality
The HDTV is not as clear as it should be, perhaps too much compression

There are few choices in Canada for cost effective connections, so we have to do with what we have available.

Comments:

Review by techfan5 See Profile

• Location: Victoria,BC
Good "very fast connection"
Bad "connection flaps and drops randomly for a minute or two randomly. service officialy THE WORST ever. Even worse than Telus was."
Overall "shaw jumped on ubb like hogs at a trough. service is costly but edges ahead of the comp despite the pathetic service"

i thought of going dsl but shaw has better throughput. I have 2 pvr's with expanders and 2 flatscreens, plus an extensive home network and nas server, telus couldnt handle the volume. shaw can but their advance billing crappy service and ubb drains my soul as well as my wallet,

Comments:

Review by voqk726 See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Easy enough for them to set it up"
Bad "Terriblem inconsistent speeds, useless tech support"
Overall "Would never sign another contract with Shaw"

I've been using Shaw internet for 6 months now, and have been blown away by the total inconsistency in connection speed. To touch briefly on "Pre sales information" and "Install Co-ordination", these were both fine - but they also don't really matter. It's not difficult to plug a modem into the wall. The actual internet (what I'm paying for) is terrible - often times I'm unable to load even the most basic webpages, such as Google. Streaming video usually needs to be buffered for at least as long as the video is to watch it (this includes youtube) and downloading movies through iTunes takes forever.

To qualify the above, I have a degree in Computer Science from UBC and work for a major international software company. I also worked throughout college at another major international computer companies retail stores diagnosing internet issues. I'm very qualified to diagnose a problem connection, and the clear source of my problem is Shaw. Whenever I attempt to get them to realize and fix the problem, I get the run-around and no progress is made.

All in all, the tech support is nonexistent, and the service is terrible. The dial-up connection I had in 1999 was more consistent, and comparable in terms of average speed. I will not buy internet from Shaw within the next decade, and past that only if they demonstrate significant improvement. Bottom line: Go elsewhere.

member for 3 years, 0 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by cableguyi7 See Profile

• Location: Richmond,BC
Good "Awesome Speeds for Download. somewhat reliable"
Bad "Terrible Upload Speed, Price"
Overall "tv and phone and internet bundle. got the regular internet"

Overall, the speeds are good for download, but upload wise its terrible.
The support has been downhill, the digital box hasn't worked for a week already, trying to get support but on hold for hrs.
And now on the bill it says it will increase the rate, seriously ? its already so pricey and it wants more ?

Been a customer ever since it started, in Vancouver B.C, the original provider was rogers or something, been customer for like over 11 years and i am tempted to swtich but theres no other good choices in my area

Comments:

Review by killthraka See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "Friendly staff"
Bad "Over priced for service,"
Overall "Over promised very under delivered."

The service is not that great, it is very over sold, and under delivered.

Comments:

Review by marcelgerber

• Location: New York,New York,NY

I am fast becoming disillusioned by Shaw Cable. The UBB debacle has
severely compromised my trust in the company, and obviously I don't feel
like being charged any more for the service.

The biggest issue, however. is the product. What we're getting is never
the quit what we pay for. The three locations that have indeed had Shaw
Cable have always had some or other issue. From latency to, packet loss
to complete signal drops. It's frustrating to pay such a high price for
a product that isn't what it was made out to be on the box.

(review was emailed from domain ymail.com)