Shaw page on DSLReports

Review by pinned See Profile

• Location: Abbotsford,BC
Good "ok value if you don't use the internet much"
Bad "ubb sucks"
Overall "as evil as all the other big telcos"

I've been with Shaw since they took over BC from Rogers many moons ago. Have always always been happy with their product and customer service. I had an issue a few years back when getting digital phone installed (while I was at work and my wife was home). They sent in one of their contract installers who did a hack job. One somewhat terse phone call from me and I had a supervisor here the next day who spent 4 hours wiring and rewiring everything. He even came knocking on my door a couple of days later to make sure I was happy. That was how Shaw USED to be.

Now it's almost impossible to get a decent answer out of tech support (all canned responses). I've tried to get calls escalated and they just get abusive. Enviable that they've kept support here in Canada but with how they treat people they might just as well ship it off to India.

The nail in the coffin is UBB though. The sneaky and underhanded way they've slipped this in came as such a shock to me as I've always recommended them to everyone I know or do business with.

Now I'll only recommend them to my ex-wife.

Comments:

Review by rustydusty See Profile

• Location: Red Deer County,AB
Good "Fairly reliable"
Bad "Slow upload speeds"
Overall "Bang for buck isn't all that bad."

I have nothing too bad to complain about Shaw, except their routing issues at times, and node saturation once in a while. Only thing I could hope for in the coming years is some faster upload speeds. Their download speeds are reasonable, but upload speeds are definintely lacking. Overall I give Shaw a 7/10.

Update: August 10th, 2010

Been switching back from X-treme to Warp, and currently am with Warp. I am now able to get 20Mb/s and a full 2Mb/s upload. Finally getting descent speeds with it, and the actual quality of it seems better now to. Hopefully no more issues and possible a price drop on Warp (Most likely won't happen, but a guy can dream, right?), but overall it's going good finally. Digital TV needs to have more HD channels though.

Update: January 20th, 2011

I've cancelled all of my Shaw services and have switched to Telus, due to the ridiculous prices and extreme overage charges. I am working on my parents next, and my brother right behind them. I will no longer give Shaw a dime anymore.

member for 4.8 years, 2335 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mens rea See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Reliable connection and transfer rates however not worth the $."
Bad "Caps and overage fees for data transfer"
Overall "Take a long look elswhere before considering Shaw"

Update: January 18, 2011
Recent significant reduction in transfer limits with pending caps and overage fees make Shaw very poor value for the money. One should consider competitor offerings, such as Telus before committing to anything Shaw has to offer.

Install Co-ordination: (Update: March 12, 2008)

Modem failed recently and Shaw was very prompt in supplying me with another. No problems coordinating times for installer.

Connection Reliability: (Update: March 12, 2008)

Generally reliable, outages are rare. When there was a problem with the line that effected downstream traffic, tech support was aware of it and indicated what was being done. This helped eliminate any possible concerns about problems on my end. Still continue to be occasional outages in respect to email servers which can be a nuisance.

Performance: (Update)

Modem: Motorola Surfboard SB5101 IP: Static
For the most part line speeds have been fairly reliable. Slight increases in speed 3800/467 kbps, which are fairly consistent even at peak periods.

Value: (Update)

All electronic media in Canada could do with some competition. However since the CRTC regulates the market Shaws prices are slightly on the high side when compared to U.S. counterparts.

Comments:

Review by pfak See Profile

• Location: Coquitlam,BC
Good "Quick installation, no fuss service visits."
Bad "Reduced transfer limit, implemented overage charges"
Overall "Avoid at all costs, find alternatives until revist caps"

I've been with Shaw since 2005 with Shaw Xtreme-I. Shaw used to not enforce their caps, but raised them every year. Now, they lowered them from 125GB to 100GB and implemented $1/GB overage charges and tell us that we are getting additional "value."

Certainly an ISP to avoid. Their pricing is ridiculously high. Technical support has been going downhill lately, and they raise their bill it seems every half a year.

Comments:

Review by NinjaAction See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "FAST! 85MBit Down 5 Mbit up 99% of the time"
Bad "Their Marketing Dept are driving me insane. UBB is a Major Piss off"
Overall "Their Nitro Internet is amazing but their Marketing Dept has pushed me to the Edge. Now UBB may push me over that edge."

The Good news:
Have had Shaw internet now for the past 6 years and Digital phone since its inception. I have also been a Nitro subscriber since its inception.

Both Products were setup quick and function flawlessly.
I've had pretty much no issues ever aside from being on an evening saturated node once about in 2005 for about 4 months until they did a node split (Several times I think)

Love the nitro internet. Can download 8 gig torrents less in than 30mins. I have never witnessed throttling on upload like the say they do. No sweat to get 4-5mbit going on torrent uploads

What used to take weeks to upload to online backup services now takes hours (Well maybe days). I just did 100 gig backup to my unlimited livedrive in about 2 days which is sweet.

Now to the Bad

Their marketing Dept has been driving me insane for almost a year now.
For the first 6 months or so I swear I got a letter from Shaw ONCE A WEEK about their fantastic deal on basic cable of 9.95 for the first 6 months. I mean come on....stop wasting the paper for crying out loud. What more can I say about this?

Then The Phone Calls Started

Back in the fall about every 2 - 3 weeks like clockwork - Shaw Cablesystems GP would show up on the call display. And if I didn't answer they'd keep phoning almost every day until I did answer. Again with the basic cable for 9.95 b.s.

The fist time they called I kindly explained to them that I have 4 Dual Tuner PVRS with Bell(So I am heavily invested with them) and unless they are giving me a ludicrous deal like 4 free HD PVR's and the Everything Package for about 50 bucks, then I’m not going even consider switching. They say no problem and that was it. I let it go as an isolated incident (Stupid me).

Few weeks later they phone again, same opening line. I say we were thru this 2 weeks ago, no I don't want your TV....take me off whatever list I am on! They said they complied.

Few weeks later they phone again......I explode and tell they to stop this or they are going to lose me. Guy says I was taken off the mailing list only last time......grrrr

Yep Two nights ago they phone again...still with this 9.95 tv stuff ......Again I explode and threaten to cancel. They apologize again and say they won't "ever ever" to quote the girl, call back again.
Then about 1.5 hrs later (And this is no joke, no the phone didn't ring, the freakin doorbell rang.....A guy at the door from Shaw who states he's going door to door trying to lower my bills. Amazingly I kept calm and spoke nothing of my ordeal (He looked like a 17 year old kid, what’s the point in being an ass?).

I mean I've had it.....and now with UBB bull crap that’s the last straw(And I don't even go over the 500, ahem I mean 350GB limit).
I'm Switching to I don't know who yet, but someone. Gonna check out rural wireless providers (Some have some interesting products with fast uploads put are pricey) before I break down and goto Telus.

Congratulations Shaw, (-1) $200+ a month subscriber (Who is very happy with the product ironicaly )......I’m just a grain of salt anyway right?

What has gone wrong in the management of this company during the past 9 months?

Comments:

Review by STEvil See Profile

• Location: Raymond,AB
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Slow download rates, huge frequent downtimes, poor field techs, poor phone techs."
Overall "Not recommended"

Been stuck with Shaw in Raymond Alberta for a long time. Frequently (once a week it seems?) service completely drops for anywhere from an hour to a full day. Average download rates are 1.5-2mbps, far from the advertised 5mbps.

Should have stayed with Telus. Had the same connectivity issues but at least the techs were easier to talk to than "unplug the modem and plug it back in again" and download speeds were always fairly consistent. Enhanced DSL package now available in town reaches almost 1MB/sec download rates at times.

Comments:

Review by sinbad2 See Profile

Good "Decent speeds most of the time"
Bad "Rediculesly small data Cap, traffic shaping, lazy company that would rather pay dividends than invest into its network"
Overall "Telus and Shaw your only two options for fast internet, both have data caps with retarded overage charges so pick your poison"

I have been with shaw for over ten years. They were a decent ISP until recently when they along with their oligarchic partner Telus started lowering data caps and implementing overage charges. Competition between ISP's in this part of the country is dead, so instead of investing in its own network shaw can safely pay out hefty dividends in the knowledge that there is nothing consumers can do but shut up and accept what ever fees/charges they wish to impose on them.

Personally I'm thinking of switching to TekSavvy, their internet may not be as fast but at least their data caps are more sensible and the monthly charge is also cheaper.

Comments:

Review by cableguy99 See Profile

Good "It works great, reliable."
Bad "Usage Base Billing makes it not worth it if you have multiple users or are a heavy user. Very dishonest with their customers."
Overall "Not worth your time, go with a respectful provider that doesn't lie and heavily cut services while keeping costs the same."

I'm cancelling Shaw after 13 years. I was pleased with their services for
many years. I even became a technician for many years and was able to see
the inside workings of the cable industry and understand their network. But
with the introduction of Usage Based Billing I am cancelling my services
this month and switching to Telus. I will also be advising all the people I
sold services to over the years that they should do the same, and I will
educate as many people as I can about it. It was bad when people had slow
connection speeds in the mid part of the last decade, and I thought it was
awful how dishonest Shaw was about it when they lied to their customers and
wouldn't admit that the issue was due to their network not having the
capacity to handle the traffic. They wouldn't even officially admit it to
their own technicians and would send them out to blind service calls just
to 'make an appearance'. I only found out what the real problem was during
casual conversation with someone high up the chain of command. Eventually
Shaw completed upgrades and everything was fine until now. I think it's
pretty obvious that the network is reaching capacity once again, and
instead of keeping up with technology and the world, Shaw has decided to
take the cheap route and reduce bandwidth by forcing their high users and
multi-user families to switch over to Telus, who will not be practicing
UBB. And they have also decided to reduce their monthly bandwidth cap to
what it was before June of 2010, with hardly a whisper to let people know.
This honestly does not surprise me in the least, as Shaw is always behind
on technology and new services, and from my experience will always be. They
are a horribly mismanaged company and I highly recommend looking elsewhere
for your services.

Comments:

Review by arya_2288 See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Internet Speeds"
Bad "Customer Service, Retention Line, Tech Support, Value"
Overall "Stay Away from Shaw!! (Get Telus, or Novus)"

Hello All,

I was asked to review my ISP and here's what I think, based on my experiences:

My Package:
Extreme-I (15/1 Mbps) ::: SB5102
2 separate NA phone lines with full features
3 PVRs (All channels {SD+HD}) ::: DCT3400 series; 2 Old school PVRs (w/ DVI) - 1 PVR (w/ HDMI)

*** Quick Note ***
Please don't give the on-site install guys a hard time. From my past experience, every one of them has been really kind and honest - these guys are the true backbone for the company's success. They're just there to do their job - whether they like it or not. My install took a few min (~10 min) and everything was good to go.

Good:
Internet Speeds - I live on West Cordova Street in Vancouver; Shaw tower is literally 2-4 blocks from me. If I didn't get good speeds then I don't know what else Shaw has to offer. I'm keeping in mind that my building is Novus Ready and has FTTB (Fibre-To-The-Building). I believe Shaw uses those to feed internet into my house - then again I do use a modem through coaxial - instead of the provided ethernet port in my house (I believe those are for Novus - can't wait to cancel - currently considering to switch to them instead).

Bad:
Where do I start?

Tech Support - One of the WORST tech support centers I've ever come to terms with. Call Novus right now (604.642.6688) I'm almost certain that they'll pick up in less than 10 rings (and straight to a human operator - not some button mashing voice recorded messaging system). I was one of the first to use Nitro in Vancouver and you can check my previous posts by searching "arya_2288" regarding Nitro. So many issues, paying ridiculous amounts of money, and the least I could've / would've expected was tech support for a loyal and high paying customer - no dice. The best support advice is blaming other systems or to force a modem recycle - "unhook the power and cable - now attach - is it working?"

Customer Service - Let me just quickly say 75% of them don't know what they're doing or saying. All they care about is sales or up-selling. period. There will be rare instances where people will comment - "must've been your luck, because mine wasn't as bad" but let me assure you - these people are part of the 25%. They are ignorant, rude, and dishonest - all for what? a sale? pathetic.

Retention Line - One of the worst I've ever seen. These guys will lie through their teeth to do anything to get the customer to stay and offer ridiculous packages. Only reason why I'm still with Shaw, but if I see one slight bit of overage charge then I'm out no matter how good the deal (currently 2 NA phone lines jacked with all features, Complete TV package (incl. 3 HD PVRs), Extreme-I = $90-95). They went on to tell me how cable has better bandwidth offer than fibre, how Novus is a small company and might pack their business and cease to exist the next month, how phone land lines are better than VoIP offered over fibre, etc (2.5 hours worth of Shaw Retention Line BS-ing me).

Value: In this 12 month period I'm in as a "new" customer - its great; as mentioned above for all those services for only $90, not bad. Will I be sticking with them in the Long Run? No. Even short term isn't guaranteed - especially with all their "hush hush" techniques and over-usage charge(s). Sure their 15/1 Mbps offer in year 2000 was one of a kind, but even Telus can offer the same with same if not better stability - Telus's 25/2 is impressive.

*** FINAL NOTE ***

If you don't have to deal with them and you're a new customer - please stay away from Shaw - they have nothing new or innovative to offer. They're sticking to their old ways and trying to drive out healthy competition. Telus is offering TV service which almost rival Verizon FiOS

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDJMdIP-cNQ
) - also if you get the xbox 360 offer, they've included a Telus TV app on it which allows you to watch tv through your console!! - Now that's innovation.

If you have any questions, etc - username: arya_2288
fire up any message and I'll try to get back to ya as soon as I can.
Hope this review helps.

Thanks DSLReports.

Comments:

Review by afreak See Profile

• Location: New Westminster,BC
Good "I get 1 MB/s on the default package"
Bad "Their customer service is abysmal, upload speed is 512 Kbps"
Overall "You're screwed if you do, you're screwed if you don't"

Currently have the 15/1 package. Speeds are good but the caps are ridiculous. Last time I checked our country isn't serviced by a link from south Asia. Why do we have to have Internet service like the Australians?