Shaw page on DSLReports

Review by afreak See Profile

• Location: New Westminster,BC
Good "I get 1 MB/s on the default package"
Bad "Their customer service is abysmal, upload speed is 512 Kbps"
Overall "You're screwed if you do, you're screwed if you don't"

Currently have the 15/1 package. Speeds are good but the caps are ridiculous. Last time I checked our country isn't serviced by a link from south Asia. Why do we have to have Internet service like the Australians?

Comments:

Review by tired See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "Great speeds and reliable connection, friendly staff."
Bad "Unannounced service changes amount to massive price increase."
Overall "Would love to stay with them, but they've become too expensive."

·TekSavvy Cable
·TELUS
I've been a customer of Shaw Internet for many years and have never had any issues with them. They've continued to upgrade their services and provide increased performance while keeping prices in check. I was on a 50Mbps down/3Mbps up package with a 250gb transfer limit for $107 per month.

This year, though, they did three things simultaneously:

1) They rolled back the transfer limits on the package I was subscribed to (from 250gb to 175gb) without announcing the change
2) They "increased the accuracy" of their reporting tool, so the 70gb/month that I've averaged the entire year suddenly jumped to 500gb last month without any behaviour changes on my part.
3) They moved from a soft cap of warning and encouraging package upgrades to $1/gb charges.

These three things meant that if I had remained with them my bill would have jumped from $107 per month to $432 per month, or if I had pre-purchased their data packs to $207 per month, which would cover up to 675gb usage.

Comments:

Review by ali3nx See Profile

• Location: Winnipeg,MB
Bad "I have been a shaw subscriber for ten years If shaw adds over limit charges to internet access I plan to cancel my service."

I have been a shaw subscriber for over ten years. If shaw adds over limit charges to internet access I plan to cancel my service.

Comments:

Review by GoShogun See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "They were ok for a while"
Bad "Overages...seriously?!"
Overall "Rip off, plain and simple"

I have been with Shaw for quite some time now and I never had any huge complaints. There tech support was a bit iffy at times and my HDPVR box I got from them would go crazy now and then. Also, my internet speeds didn't seem very consistent and rarely reached the speeds they advertised, though they came close now and then.

But after the overage charge annoucement for internet use, I cannot fathom staying loyal to them. I was a Shaw Xtreme user and 100GB caps are a joke. On top of this, 1$ per GB overage fees are insanely priced as well.

I've already closed my account and moved to Telus where for now, they don't seem to be actually charging overages from what I hear.

Comments:

Review by timerider2 See Profile

• Location: St Albert,AB
Good "Used them for 12 years never had any major problems"
Bad "Recent CAPS and OVERAGE FEE's are insane."
Overall "Stay as far away from shaw as possible if you value your bank account"

Check out this thread, it's all there. SHAW = BAD NEWS

»Shaw charging for extra bandwidth.....

12 year plus client, never had a complaint or problem, recent Cap and Gouge policy has made me lose all respect for SHAW. Stay as far from SHAW as you can get. SHAW reps are also extremely rude, everytime I have called to get a better deal or inquire about my usage I was treated like a criminal because I was a little over my caps, beware...... It's not the SHAW it used to be.

Have since switched to TELUS High Speed Turbo (15mbs) and I am very happy. Same speeds as SHAW Extreme if not better, and no SHAW bullshit.....

Comments:

Review by joshb See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "hook up was easy"
Bad "Does not understand how compete"
Overall "Stay away if possible"

Have not had service with this company for a while considering some of there recent decisions I will not ever be going back....

_______________________________________________________________________

No longer have service with this company. At this time I do not require more than one internet connection. If and when the time comes when I require two connections I call on shaws services again.

________________________________________________________________________

Since I have now been in my new place for just about a year now. I have to say I have been actaully impressed by there service. Had a few problem with the speed boost. One of the Techs recommended moving over to a business plan. He said it might solves some of the problems. He was 100% correct. Since I moved over to business and no longer have to deal with withe speed boost I have had zero issues with it. Speeds are good. and seems fairly stable. Note the move over busines was so I could get a decent a cap and still maintain my decent download speed.

________________________________________________________________________
I'm 2 weeks in. There have a been a few speed issue but Shaw is dealing with it. Not as fast as I would like but things are getting better. They got the levels under control and now it's just a waiting a game for them to finish up getting the bandwidth figured out. I have been told the abuse team is dealing with it and it is getting better. I guess they have bandwidth hogs on my node.

Good work Shaw keep it up.

Well after constant problems with Telus I decided to get another tech out. He came and was nice enough to release me from one of my 2 internet contracts without penalty.

I decided to see what shaw was offering.

When I called in they were very informative and new there products. No pressure at all to hookup. They were more than willing to give me a day or two to make up my mind and work things out.

Day of install was great. Tech showed up exactly at 5pm. I asked he be there as early as possible and they came through. Although they say no promisses as far time.

First day of service was a bit rocky but after a call to support they figured out the issue and will have it resolved within the next week. Not a major issue but it is a pain at times.

Botton line shaw has gone though some major changes for the better since the last time I had any services with them. If things get fixed when promised and everythings continues the way it is I will be one very happy camper.

Well Shaw came in and installed Tv service. They got the TV working no problems but ran into level issues with the Internet. They got the internet fixed and now have to go back and fix the TV again. At least they did the node split before promised.

Well the service has been up and down and they have been having trouble find the problem....After 6 service calls they finally figured out there was a break in the line some-where and are working towards fixing the issues in fairly reasonable pace....

Bottom Line Call center is full of it......Field techs when they take the time to do there job right they work miracles......Bottom line Shaw field staff need to stop running there days buy the clock.....and actually fix things instead of passing it off....

Comments:

Review by Invade See Profile

• Location: Burnaby,BC
Bad "Dishonest company, heavily greedy."

To be honest I once thought shaw was good, especially after increasing bandwidth per month. But no, they lied and claimed that was part of a trial and yet it did not say it on there site anywhere at all. Secondly do not trust shawjames as he lied to us shaw users in this site claiming shaw does not care about netflix and several other things. When honestly they do and called "Foul!" on them to the crtc. Avoid shaw at all costs as they will find ways to make your costs go up. As of next month January 2011 I will be moving onto Telus as the future looks more friendly with them.

Comments:

Review by Blue05R1 See Profile

• Location: Sherwood Park,AB
Bad "Overage fees and reduced caps"
Overall "Do not use this ISP if you have any other option"

Been with Shaw for 8 years. Have been on extreme for the whole time, the new HARD Bandwidth caps with $1 & $2/GB overage fees make them extremely cost prohibitive.

The tech support staff are extremely rude when you call in, they have nothing good to say about there service. The only defense they have is that the competitors are worse. Do your research on sites like this and you will find out that Shaw reps are horribly misinformed or blatently lying.

DO NOT USE IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO!!

Comments:

Review by stoptheshaw See Profile

Good "Upgraded speeds a year ago, however thats pointless with the pathetic caps they are trying to enforce"
Bad "Pathetic caps and insane overage fees bhell/robber style"
Overall "Get telus teksavvy MTS or an ISP that cares about your needs"

I have been a shaw customer since they bought up my old ISP monarch.net. At monarch i had a 5Mbs dl/1.5Mbs upload connection for 40 bucks+ a 20 dollar power user plan that gave me unlimited usage. After shaw took over my speed became 3Mbs/.5Mbs until a couple of years ago. The upload speed is still horrible and can never break even 1Mb/s.My usage was so high they forced me onto a super expensive business plan that costed me about 75 bucks a month for internet. Only when extreme and other docsis 2 tiers rolled out a year or 2 ago did they let me downgrade(with upgrades in speed).

»www.speedtest.net/result/1078797653.png

In the netflix, steam, itunes, justin.tv, amazon VOD age to have such low caps is abusive at best. And then add in these insane overage fees with no respect to actual cost is disgusting. Soon physical media will be all but forgotten and it will all be transferred threw the web, however shaw feels it only need to provide you the bare as much as it feels is fair.

Compared to comcasts 250gig soft cap with no overage fees and many other ISPs like teksavvy which give you a starter 200gig cap for 40ish bucks total. And yet shaw can not offer 250gig caps to people who pay over 100 for internet alone on their higher tiers...

They have enough money to acquire canwest but not give us a reasonable allotment of bandwidth per month, heck they can't even be bothered to roll over unused. At 50dollars for 250 gig data plans you would think people paying well over 50 dollars would get at least that much but no shaw knows you want less for more.

I will soon be switching to telus optik as my TV source since its IPTV and with it you get unlimited since they cant track the usage and differentiate between the two. For shaw to go bhell/rogers rip off route is unacceptable. I would rather go back to dial up then give shaw another cent. I would advise you to as well unless you want the bhell/rogers model applied to western Canada.

As for gaming telus pings are always lower, i know this since i have telus at work. Also shaw can go down whenever it wants for an hour or 2, i would have had a realm first on WOW if shaw had not choose to die on me for cataclysm launch day(thx shaw). Telus has lower latency hands down especially during prime time hours when shaw speeds drop.

O did i mention their new meter for tracking usage is just rolling out and being tested now. Also reducing each tiers cap by 30% is exactly the underhanded BS bhell/rogers pulls. After all as users needs grow you have to reduce how much they get. Also they just recently removed 25 gigs from my allotment for the month and then tell me i need to buy their data packs at 5 dollars per 10 gigs, when teksavvy sells blocks of bandwith at 100gigs for 10 bucks. What highway robbery shaw is pulling here. If you enjoy netflix steam or any other online VOD sites steer away from shaw.

Comments:

Review by VPSrider See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Decent speed"
Bad "Rolled back bandwidth cap, Huge overage charges, Lies to customers"
Overall "Avoid this ISP at all cost, very poor business practices"

I used to recommend Shaw to everyone. I can't any longer and am going to encourage as many people as I can to drop all services with this company. Stay away unless you like being lied to and gouged.