Shaw page on DSLReports

Review by korupt See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "good enough"
Overall "over all the service is OK, but the help desk can be a little overwhelming"

works for me

member for 14 years, 5602 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Canadian Man See Profile

• Location: Abbotsford,BC
Good "Fast constant high speed"
Overall "Good value for the money"
(ratings well above consensus)

I have had Shaw (Rogers) for 12 years.I have a constant 4000/400. I would recomend them to anyone. Better than DSL. In 12years my IP has only changed twice.

member for 12.7 years, 6653 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

jtl999
CEO of Team Classified

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD

Plan

Your still on a 4mb plan?
lostspaceman

join:2012-07-26
T3N0K7

Re: Plan

I was wondering the same thing

Review by lostspaceman See Profile

• Location: T3N0K7
Good "HD picture quality is awesome, speed is fast and reliable"
Bad "Stuck on old cable guide, speeds can occasionally drop during peak times"
Overall "Solid service, rarely causes issues"

I've been a customer with Shaw on and off for just over 4 years now (I moved around a lot for a few years). I currently have the X-Large tripple play bundle. We use all 3 of our services quite extensively.

TV:

Stuck on the old cable guide, but don't wanna upgrade quite yet. We have the Moto DCX boxes so we get the MPEG 4 HD channels which is a bonus, and a 500GB PVR. Will eventually upgrade to the gateway (Fiancée really wants to watch PVR'd shows in the bedroom), but for now it's cost prohibitive. Shaw HD picture quality is far better than Telus + Bell from the caparisons I've done.

Internet:

BB50, 50Mbps down, 3Mbps up. I have the cisco dpc3825, however the wireless is disabled and using a D-Link dir-835 as a WAP. Most of my house is hardwired with CAT5 which is really nice. Speeds tests were all over the place until I found out that the Calgary speedtest.net servers are awful. Using the Edmonton servers I consistently get between 45-50Mbps down and 2.7 - 2.9Mbps up with a ping time averaging 37ms. Shaw Go Wifi has also saved us a combined $40 a month worth of data charges on our Telus mobility bills. Can't complain about the internet at all.

Phone:

Clear voice quality and works as you'd expect it. have never noticed a difference between my Shaw line and Telus lines I've used extensively in the past.

Overall I'm very happy with my services. Telus has some pretty sweet looking deals (especially since my Telus drop is all fibre... very tempting...) however switching right now isn't an option, and not necessary.

Comments:

Anonytech

@shawcable.net

Promo

Right now shaw has a promo for a gateway and portal @$298. You can trade in your mpeg4 box for another portal which will cover two tv's for the price above.

If you purchase from best buy, price matching will bring the cost to $260, however the trade in program is not available if not purchased through shaw.

Review by rampler See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "Excellent internet speed. Great install"
Bad "New PVR is a bit buggy. Bad channel bundling options."
Overall "Upgrading equip and services was the right move"

Highrise condo, near one of the Shaw central stations downtown. Satellite not feasible.

Prior bundle was extreme internet and classic + HD bundle + some random extras for about $150 a month. Had called in a few times as prices had ticked up a few times and I was looking to reduce the spend OR improve the service/value. Had always declined home phone service since prefer a pure VOIP service with multiple inbound area codes.

Got a call for a promo: full HD bundle, BB50 internet, home phone. Includes free PVR, new modem ($1/month rental). Movie channels and timeshift. Roughly the same price for 3 months. Regular package would be about $210.

Install was scheduled for a few days later. Tech took his time and was respectful of my own setup. Bridged the new modem during the install at my request. I didn't port the home phone to Shaw, as I am happy with my Voip.ms service, so was setup with a new number which is yet to be used.

New PVR is nicer to use, but a bit sluggish and buggy at times. Doesn't stay paused long enough for example, schedule conflicts can be tricky to resolve.

BB50 is amazing. Multiple speed tests consistently show 43-47 Mbps. With Extreme had a few connectivity issues which could have been the aged modem and that now seem to be gone. Technical calls over the years have been OK, but painful to wait and explain the issue.

Have yet to really max it out with downloads, streaming, voip applications which was the goal since the Extreme 15 wasn't sufficient for our growing usage.

At the end of the promo will ditch the phone and reduce channels and be right around the same price point as before but with BB50.

Overall good service and newer equipment helped it out. Choosing between big incumbents is always tough. The internet speed is key. Telus wont provide more than 15Mbps in my building/postcode. This speed should hold us for a while as we move more and more to internet based streaming/downloads for our content we will reduce our television package correspondingly as the bundling of channels is pretty useless across all the carriers.

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 337 days ago

Comments:

Review by crazyea See Profile

• Location: Surrey,BC
Good "Off peak speeds. Price."
Bad "Peak time speeds. Phone line isnt as stable as I'd like."
Overall "Regardless of flaws it's still better than Telus at the moment."

Overall I am happy with the service. Why because there isn't another competitive option in terms of internet speed at the moment. And the price is quite decent.

- Yes I wish the tv packages were better. There are two many of my go to channels spread across useless theme packages.
- The phone line is good when it works. In all of my years on Telus it never went down even one time. Shaw phone has been down at least 3 times for a full day in the 3-4 months I have been a customer.
- The off peak speeds are great. The peak time speeds drop below 60% of package speeds and even on occasion much worse. I have had 29mbps on a Sunday night on the 100mbps service.
- Customer support isn't useful at all. They call to troubleshoot a peak time problem in the daytime and then say they cant do anything about it.
- Hold times to speak to a human over there are off the charts.
- If you don't need the overall speeds shaw offers, Telus was a much more consistent service.

EDIT:
- The gateway I purchased still has not received the promised features almost two years later.
- The BB100 is relatively consistent.
- The phone services has been stable over the past year.
- Shaw increases prices on a much too frequent basis.
- My tv service still lacks channels at a competitive price.
- I have the stupid gateway and I'm pretty much locked in unless I was to pay it out.
- Overall the service is decent at best, and Shaws tactics, customer service, and pricing increases are awful.
- If you can deal with slower speeds elsewhere, I'd suggest people look there instead.

Comments:

jtl999
CEO of Team Classified

Victoria, BC

Re: Speeds

said by jtl999:

Telus has 50mbps now.

In Select areas. And still has some of the worst technical/customer support in Canada and non-bridgeable modems.
Anon filter enabled. Register an account if you want to be taken seriously.

Darhole
join:2005-06-14
Edmonton, AB

Re: Speeds

My experience with Telus has been much more favorable as far as customer service goes than Shaw, one of the reasons I switched after being a 10 year shaw customer.

Second, you can bridge Telus modems just fine, you just have to know what to do (they do not, and will not) provide the info.

crazyea

join:2006-10-26
Surrey, BC
·Shaw
I was actually going to switch to Telus to get the free tv, but I had a contract a couple of years ago for their Satellite and opted out early (paid the exit fee). They said I could have the service but I wouldn't be eligible for the free TV (I never received a gift prior). This seemed very unreasonable to me so I decided to stay with Shaw.

Review by squirt See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
Good "they keep trying until they get the problems fixed ...."
Bad "connection can disappear from time to time"

We just have the 'lite' service. It's all we really need.

We've had problems with modems and had to get a new dedicated cable brought in for the computer (we also use Shaw for TV), but the tech service has been pretty impressive.

update: we've had almost continuous problems with the motorola digital cable box since it was installed 5 or 6 weeks ago. after a few attempts to fix things remotely, a third tech in-home visit seems to have fixed things. the tech guy rooted around and found an old splitter in the wall from a previous configuration years back. once the splitter was removed, the signal strength improved immensely. and hopefully, all's well now!

member for 9.9 years, 5913 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Cartel See Profile

• Location: Chilliwack,BC
Good "Nothing good about Shaw"
Bad "Total rip-off"
Overall "I'd rather read a book than pay for Shaw"

·TekSavvy DSL
·TELUS
Shaw is a complete rip-off.
They take away channels that have been part of basic cable for decades.
Shaw also re-broadcasts all the shows, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.......they play the same commercials over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
Also the commercials are way frigging loud, you gotta turn the crap down.

To pay more than car insurance to watch TV is a crime IMO.

They have crap programs.

I got rid of cable TV 3 years ago and am so happy I did.
Now if I go to a friends and they have the TV on, I am reminded of how bad it sucks.

member for 7.6 years, 629 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

hereyabrooo

@telus.net

censorship runs rampant

if canadas constitutional justice system were to actually work.... the canadian heritage minister(enforcer of program substitution for canadian advertisers profits) along with the big 3 owners of all media in canada,, would be in prison for life for their crimes against 'freedom of communication'.

300 channels and only the 'pure U.S.' ones are watchable without wearing out the mute button on the remote. Let us all turn away when a 'much music' commercial is on one of the other specially channels, to avoid eyes rolling into the back of our heads in pure disgust of the low intelligence quotient of them.

In case people outside of canada are wondering: Canadian commercials are often repeated every 10-15 minutes and its the exact same commercial and is repeated in this fashion over and over for at least 6 months in a row before they invest in creating a new version of the commercial(maybe make a new version). Otherwise any gaps in programming with no commercial advertisers available are sometimes filled with pretend 'public service announcements' that are 1% of the population trying to force their personal views on 99% of the population(also known as prohibitionists and false numbers hawkers).

For those on Rogers cable: He pioneered inserting his commercials(canadian commercials inserted into 'pure U.S. television' channel commercials streams) without permission of the U.S. station being played on a canadian cable tv broadcaster(shaw, rogers, bell). It is a crime but his company owns/rents/manipulates politicians via various shady practices(like lobbying) in order to avoid prison time and billion dollar fines. To rich people, a 10 million dollar fine is pocket change.

If you canadians get the oppurtunity to see netflix and its u.s. version, you will scream over the lack of content on the canadian netflix version. A canadian bought the canadian rights to a program/movie and then sits on it forever without allowing it to be played to anyone.

Cartel

join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Re: censorship runs rampant

stridr69

join:2003-05-19
San Luis Obispo, CA

Wow!

What's sad is "pure" Estados Unidos television is absolute CRAP! And I mean the only way I watch is to record something and fastforward the program through the commercials. I never watch "live" TV if I can help it. TiVo is your friend. And it's too bad about Netflix up north, they just signed a major deal with Disney.

Review by mbruni See Profile

• Location: Sault Ste Marie,ON
Good "310SHAW is their support number fyi remember it if you go with them you will need to be calling it several times"
Bad "Super slow and variable speeds, wish I had reliable dialup some times"
Overall "Crap go with another company if you can"

Speed fluctuates all over the place and ping times are random. Some times during the year the service will go off for days at a time or one day it will work the other 2 it wont and this will go on for around a month at a time. Expect to reliably get 1/4 of the speed you signed up for. Now with these caps and charges their applying I will be switching asap. I have extreme. If nothing else is available in your area then I feel sorry for you.

member for 5.2 years, 29 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:
Mustafa

join:2006-10-04

Who else is their?

It's either Shaw or Bell or one of their resellers. That means if you get a Shaw reseller you are going to have the same problems.

That's the big problem any city in Canada has one cable company and one TELCO. They keep jacking up the price and the service keeps getting worse. This could only be possible in either a government run enterprise or a monopoly. Try selling donuts and keep decreasing the quality and size while simultaneously jacking the price,you would be bankrupt in no time.

If the government is going to keep allowing these protected monopolies they should step in and regulate price hikes like they do for utilities.

que the fanboys.

Review by DDubya See Profile

• Location: Nanaimo,BC
Overall "could be better"

Telus is not an option
BB50
order install went fast--he couldn't wait to get on to another call said" you look like you know what your doing" see ya later.
cisco router modem combo
my internet signal for gaming has constant lag.

Comments:

Review by ErikRP See Profile

• Location: Winnipeg,MB
Good "Some of the best speeds in Canada"
Bad "Your Mileage May Vary Signficantly"
Overall "Saturated nodes can impact satisfaction significantly"

I have been with Shaw for the last 13 years - 9 or so of those was internet as well as TV. I live in a newer section of Transcona in Winnipeg.

I consider myself to be a power user: we have several devices that use our Shaw connection including 2 cellphones, a laptop, a desktop, a few game machines, a tablet and a VoIP. With all of those devices intermittently using the internet connection it's important to have a reliable speed, and plenty of bandwidth. For that reason I have typically had the highest tier available. Currently I'm on the Broadband 100 plan (100 down/5 up).

For the most part I've been happy with the internet provided by Shaw. Nothing too fancy, and I don't bother with any of their provided software which I find is unnecessary and/or unhelpful. Lately however our connection quality has gone downhill significantly. During business/school hours the connection is good. However once school/work is done for the day my connection is terrible to the point of unusable. I'm pretty realistic, I know 100 Mbps doesn't mean 100 Mbps. I'm happy if I'm getting 80+. Try 5. My upload speeds remain as good as ever, and at times my upload speed is almost as high as my download numbers.

I've called Shaw numerous times, and I've had a tech out. Everyone confirms that the node is saturated (without always saying it in so many words). But no one will commit to a time for resolution. Apparently the problem was due to be resolved in October 2012. In mid January 2012 the estimate is hopefully within a month, or maybe two. But again, no firm commitment on when the problem will be resolved.

SUMMARY: If I was to grade Shaw I'd give them a D. An A- for those times when I have a good connection, but a definite F at all other times.