Shaw page on DSLReports

Review by bklass See Profile

• Location: Winnipeg,MB
Good "Download speeds perform as advertised"
Bad "Upload speeds perform as advertised"
Overall "Better than the only other option in Winnipeg (MTS)"

"Introductory offer" pricing is confusing - it makes you think you're getting a better deal than you are, especially considering the one time installation fee of ~$35.00.

Service provision is good; there are rarely if ever interruptions in the service and when there are a power cycle of the modem usually sews the problem up.

Here in Winnipeg, we have a choice between only two service providers: Shaw and MTS. These companies know that you don't have much of a choice - retention services at both are poor. If you have complaints or consider switching service they won't try to keep your business.

$50.00 a month for 10Mbps is about standard across companies. It is too much to pay for this service but we customers don't have much of a choice. If I have any complaint about the actual service, it is the upload speeds, which for my plan is 512 kbps. Terrible. 10Mbps down 512kbps up? Forget about using your Internet if you're using P2P in the background.

Given that the bar is set pretty low for ISPs in Canada (viz. customer service, competitive rates/plans) Shaw is near the top. If TekSavvy served Manitoba, I would sign up in a heartbeat. Faced with a choice between Shaw or MTS, choose the former.

member for 2.8 years, 1008 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Doonz See Profile

• Location: Beaumont,AB
Good "250/15 Unmetered"
Bad "1000/1000 To Far Away"

Shaw was the FIRST Incumbent to listen to its users. For that I will support them.

After 6 months of being on Unmetered internet reaching Blazing speeds of 30MB/s on my connection Im as happy as I have ever been with shaw.

member for 4 years, 1656 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by LemonDrop See Profile

• Location: Aldergrove,BC
Good "The Service itself is good."
Bad "Customer service is good when it can be reached"
Overall "As all providers vary very little, as long as a problem does not arise, this is a plus ISP"

I have rated by selecting the middle buttons because I have found that the ISP's all operate with the same services and philosophies.

I chose Shaw because Telus could not provide the high-speed service in my area.

I have just 'fixed' the service myself thanks to DSLReports.com

I have been getting slower that advertised speeds (less than half) and since have tweaked TCP resulting in 65% to 95% of the 100 mbps service that I am paying for. Thank you DSLReports.

I find it a weakness in Shaw that they did not on initial set up have people that would/could advise on something as simple as TCP tweaks for high speed service or the simple suggestion of making sure that your entire network is tweaked exactly the same way. It was a pretty simple fix with outstanding results.

On the up side, when able to talk to any tech/customer service rep, I find the quality of service supplied to be exemplary. Shaw occasionally activates their 'call back system' which allows one to leave their phone number and receive a call back. Why this is not left activated at all times is beyond me.

I updated to their Warp system just to give it a try a few months ago. After not getting the service as advertised, I called them (got the call back service) and when called back spoke to a young fellow that immediately further upgraded me to their 100 mbps service because he recognized that I could get it cheaper (significantly cheaper). This is the sort of thing that gives one hope that they are a fine provider. He did not however have the knowledge or the experience to advise of the required tweaks. Neither did any of the on sight techs that were sent out.

Now, I am fully aware that one should be conversant with the machines that they play with but even though I have been using running installing computers since 88, I am not what you would call a geek. Shaw should insure that those that work for them are, in my opinion.

I give them a C+

Comments:

Review by Nitro Fixx See Profile

• Location: Maple Ridge,BC
Good "were rock solid"
Bad "Infrastructure badly needs upgrading in areas that are oversubscribed"
Overall "Shaw wouldn't listen, moved to Telus"

First signed up in '97 with rogers@home, They installed the modem and network card 2 days after the order was placed!

Speed was fair, never had any real issues.

Shaw Cable then took over from Rogers Cable and they called to say they would have a installer come over and give us a new digital terminal, and a new cable modem.

Installer came on time and replaced terminal, modem and replaced the cabling to all three tv's in our house as well as the cable to the vcr.(we also subscribe to the digital cable/pay tv package)

Speed has always been great and other than the rare dns screw up I really don't have any issues with Shaw. Also If any service interuption is going to be in your area, they e-mail you in advance.

My wife and kids love having their own e-mails and with 2 computers in the house somone is usually surfin.

We also use Shaw at my workplace with about 20 terminals on the lan and it has the same rock solid performance.

~~UPDATE 01/18/04~~
Speed is now back to what it used to be prior to the icmps from the welchia/nachi outbreak in the Shaw network

I really can't comment on Shaw's technical support because I haven't had to use it in over 2 1/2 years.

Still using the Terayon modem and have never had any disconnect/connect problems that I read about all the time.

Shaw has not even contacted me yet on upgrading to the Motorola SURFboard DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem that i've been hearing about.

I will keep the Terayon because the speeds I get are consistantly higher than the cap that they have on the Motorola.
Recent speed tests
»/speedtests/55···73829050 »/speedtests/56···73829213
»/speedtests/54···76599641
»/speedtests/58···77030828

~~UPDATE 05/16/04~~

May 04/2003 Shaw finally upgraded my modem to the Motorola SB5100 and had to shell out another $10 to get my speeds up.(I-xtreme) I was choked that I was getting a modem that was capped at lower speeds than what I was previously getting.

After being on it for the first few days I realized even though my download speed (4807kbps)is a little lower than the Terayon, the SB5100's speed is very consistant throughout the entire day. The Terayon's speed used to drop to about 2500kbps during peak periods and could hit 5000-5800 down only first thing in the morning.

~~UPDATE 09/14/04~~

After having I-Xtreme for the last 5 months i satisfied with the change over from the old dinosaur "Terayon" modem to the Motorola surfboard modem. Speed at my house is rock steady 4807-4824kbps(603KB/s) down, 949-951kbps up
and that's any time of the day.

--UPDATE 03/08/05--

Still on a decent node - Still very consistant throughout the day. SInce the end of November download speeds have actually actually increased.
Downloaded a 20MB file from ATI the other day, at better than 630KB/s

~~UPDATE 03/15/06~~

Other than the Shaw's news servers needing a much needed overhaul, the connection at my house "rocks" I'm on a good node and get great speeds all the time and consistant low pings Xtreme is now 7000/1000 here are a couple speed tests
»/speedtests/71···11777861
»/speedtests/71···17406877

~~UPDATE 12/23/06~~

Had some issues after the 10000/1000 upgrade but everything is fine now

»/im/20496351/17894.png 9648/974

»/im/20499224/82363.png 9715/972

--update 09/16/07--

Still have a great connection. Can't remember when our internet was down last.
I can't even comment on Shaw's Customer Support - I haven't had to use them,

Still using the Xtreme package.

Here are some real life test results to a server in Mt. Prospect, Illinois not from a SpeedTest.net server less than 50 miles from my house

»/speedtests/57024326/70632 29159/984
»/speedtests/55431082/23186 29742/979

update: 10/26/2011
On a oversubscribed node for the last year, lucky to get 15Mbps down on the 25Mbps tier at 5 in the morning - usually during the day i get 4Mbps - 7Mbps
Phoned Shaw many,many times I guess being a cable internet subscriber from the beginning means nothing. So I closed my account and moved to Telus; getting rock steady speeds getting 21Mbps down 2Mbps up 24/7

member for 11.8 years, 2653 visits, last login: 269 days ago

Comments:

Review by silverpig See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Fast and reliable"
Bad "nothing really"
Overall "It's the way to go if you have the option"

I got shaw extreme-i way back in 2004 and kept it right up until June 2010 when I moved. In all that time I think my internet was out only once, and only for about 2 hours. Speeds were always great, and the upgrades along the line were appreciated.

I paid a little over $50/mo for the service, taxes included. I bought the modem (Motorola SB series) and had a cable tv package discount, although I didn't pay for the cable tv as it was included in my rent.

Sadly I had to drop Shaw when I moved to Toronto right when the new plans were coming out. I'd have been on BB50 right off the bat, and would be running the unlimited 250 plan if they were available in Toronto.

member for 3.2 years, 73 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by FuriousG See Profile

• Location: Kenora,ON
Good "fast when online(up to rated speeds)"
Bad "drops out often, once twice per evening, terrible latency for online gaming"
Overall "average ISP I suppose, gets the job done"

10down 1up advertised. On a good night can achieve rated speeds or close to. On an average night I'll see 4-4.5Mb down and 200kb up and terrible latency, ping times to any server whether close by or on either coast average 300+ms, not great for shooters...

Random drop outs in evenings, and extremely slow to non-existent customer support. The one time (once!!!!) I did actually get a human to answer a telephone in my own city, I was told that they did not handle any tech or business details and I was promptly transferred to a call center in Calgary Alberta....I live in Kenora Ontario.

If I had other options for the same speeds and price I would take them, but unfortunately they don't exist.

member for 12.3 years, 2086 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ZZZZZZZ See Profile

• Location: PARADISE
Good "Great speed and support"
Bad "a few outages"
Overall "One of the best"

Have to write a new review,,,Shaw in their infinite stupidity has laid off 900 workers.

The bulk of which were in phone line support,so now instead of waiting maybe 30 minutes,you're on hold for over an hour and if your lucky,they'll call you back in 3 or 4 hours.

Mindboggling stupidity for a company in this business.

member for 13.5 years, 5827 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cableguyi7 See Profile

• Location: Richmond,BC
Good "Awesome Speeds for Download. somewhat reliable"
Bad "Terrible Upload Speed, Price"
Overall "tv and phone and internet bundle. got the regular internet"

Overall, the speeds are good for download, but upload wise its terrible.
The support has been downhill, the digital box hasn't worked for a week already, trying to get support but on hold for hrs.
And now on the bill it says it will increase the rate, seriously ? its already so pricey and it wants more ?

Been a customer ever since it started, in Vancouver B.C, the original provider was rogers or something, been customer for like over 11 years and i am tempted to swtich but theres no other good choices in my area

Comments:

Review by jodster See Profile

• Location: Vegreville,AB
Good "I love Shaw. Great customer service. Always friendly, helpful and good value"

telus has gone down hill in every area, especially customer service, integrity, honesty, service, and communication. They are trying to charge me for services I had discontinued, and instead continued billing me for a phone/internet/long distance plan at a residence where no one was living, While i continued to pay for all these services at another residence where i was living, they cut off all services on Boxing day saying my bill was over due when i had actually overpaid. But since they hadn't discontinued the services at my other residence like i'd asked them too, they were still billing me for both. Then even after they cut off services to the residence i was living at, they continued to charge me for 3 more months while i had no services whatsoever. A dozen phone calls to discuss the situation with them resulted in only buying and wasting a bunch of cell phone top up cards.

so i called Shaw, and they gave me all the services I had had with telus plus cable for half the price. They were helpful, very friendly, fast, and their service has been excellent and the price very reasonable.

Comments:

Review by vanDSLuser See Profile

• Location: White Rock,BC
Good "Speed is usually stable / consistent"
Bad "DPI on p2p on occasion"
Overall "Shaw has learned from the storm it created when it tried ultralow caps"

9 month review update

ACTIVATION

Service activated July 1/2010 - no major delays, called, got new customer 6 month promo of half price and modem shipped and delivered next day. Plugged modem in, voila internet.

UPDATE on UBB

Shaw (much to my surprise) has listened to their customers and the bandwidth caps (which led to my previous negative review) have been raised to acceptable levels. Looking at the new plans, it's one of the highest caps in Canada from a mainstream ISP (250GB on Extreme makes netflix usable in HD) and for $10 more I can have a 400GB cap w/ a 50Mbps downstream (if the node will support it or not is another question)

It might be my area, but I haven't noticed congestion slowdowns. It might be most of the audience around here tends to be less digitally connected, and uses their internet more or less to check email.

TECH SUPPORT