Shaw page on DSLReports

Review by j0dan See Profile

• Location: Abbotsford,BC
Good "Fast, reliable, good service"
Bad "Some nodes are oversold"
Overall "Happy I don't have to use Telus."

Paying for 50mbps down/3 up.
Getting the full amount when downloading ~48mbps.
Bittorrent upstream seems to be capped at certain times of day, but mid-day I can max out both up and down for a sustained period of time.

My node was slow, but upgrading to the 50mbit service fixed all my issues. Shaw has been very helpful in troubleshooting problems. Call center answers within 1-2 minutes on average and I can usually get a next day install or service call.

Comments:

Review by killthraka See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "Friendly staff"
Bad "Over priced for service,"
Overall "Over promised very under delivered."

The service is not that great, it is very over sold, and under delivered.

Comments:

Review by pkarlos_76 See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
Good "Reliable services and support in Alberta for Phone, TV, and Internet"
Bad "Some communication issues, which have they have been working on doing better with."
Overall "Overall, good services and soon to be best value for your money in June 2011"

As a Shaw customer since 2002 I have been reasonably satisfied with Shaw Services, My installation time had been 1 day after order with no problems. I now currently have Shaw Digital Phone Basic (North America Calling Included as bonus.), with distinctive ring, voicemail, and call display as extra, Digital TV with Triple Play Bundle, and High Speed Warp Internet for a total price of $190.80 - 40.95 in discounts + $11.58 in Tax. I now use the Shaw Warp Internet at $97 a month for 50 megabit download and 3 megabit upload, and a nice size bandwidth cap of 250 GB, this service works great so far and I get what they claim I will get. Shaw has increased communications with their customers and will be launching new Internet packages and new services in June followed up by additional upgrades starting August 2011 over the next 17 months. I have to commend Shaw on being the only ISP so far to reach out and change their vision from a cable based company to a ISP based company setting them up for a great future.

member for 10.2 years, 1639 visits, last login: 1.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by marcelgerber

• Location: New York,New York,NY

I am fast becoming disillusioned by Shaw Cable. The UBB debacle has
severely compromised my trust in the company, and obviously I don't feel
like being charged any more for the service.

The biggest issue, however. is the product. What we're getting is never
the quit what we pay for. The three locations that have indeed had Shaw
Cable have always had some or other issue. From latency to, packet loss
to complete signal drops. It's frustrating to pay such a high price for
a product that isn't what it was made out to be on the box.

(review was emailed from domain ymail.com)

Comments:

Review by Pentangle See Profile

• Location: Vancouver BC
Good "Excellent home and telephone support, very little telephone waiting time."
Bad "Speeds are somewhat slower later in the day; company will introduce UBB this summer (2011)"
Overall "The competition is worse; Shaw really isn't too bad, few complaints."

I'm not a tech like some of the other board members so my observations are subjective rather than technical--I'm just an average user looking for reliability in the provider. The Shaw service is up and available almost all of the time. Download speeds appear to be slower later in the day but that isn't really a concern for me as I do very little downloading; the occasional shareware or freeware application, upgrades for Avast, MBAM, SUPERAntiSpyware, Online Armour. That's about it--I upload very little, some text or jpg email attachments. Most of the time I spend on the Web is spent reading and researching and I'm happy with Shaw; they deliver what I need and are happy to help me when I need help. I have the extreme service which is ample for my needs.

I recently phoned Shaw to discuss the slower download speeds I'd recently begun to experience and they immediately offered to upgrade my modem to a Motorola SB5102 from a Terayon. The installer arrived a day later with the new modem and my download speeds immediately doubled. A nice part of this is that I _owned_ the original modem and I now own the new one. While here, he also changed the television cable and reception vastly improved. There was no charge for this service. In the six years that I've been with Shaw there have been moderate price increases for the service. Download/upload speeds are currently 7650/1800 kbps. Ping = 31ms. Location is Vancouver, BC.

member for 8.4 years, 2618 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by pcguy See Profile

• Location: Winnipeg,MB
Good "Competition for other"
Bad "secret reversal of caps"
Overall "use only as a last resort"

Ordered the service and was never told that the current caps were being reduced and implementation of overage charges. Also was told erroneous information about the capabilities of their PVR.

Personally had not use Shaw for several years. Seems they have gotten worse and are less of a customer oriented company and more of a company squeezing their customers for their last dime.

Comments:

Review by unbrkabl See Profile

• Location: Spruce Grove,AB
Good "great speeds"
Bad "pricey"
Overall "the best"

by far the best I have used in Canada-

Comments:

Review by analog andy See Profile

• Location: Surrey,BC
Good "Stable for years"
Bad "Technicians suck"
Overall "Use to be good for the money..."

I've had SHAW since 2003 up to 2010. I've never had problems with them, mind you I always had their Business plans for the extra speed and data transfers. I've ran web servers and shoutcast for several years with no issues.

In 2008 I moved into another house and this is where my problems started. I also switch from Business account to personal and did notice a difference in customer service.

In the new house the cable lines were old so I had issues with the signal to the modem isf there were any splitters on the line. Also when I got digital cable I would lose sync with quite a few channels below channel 11 and above channel 25.

I phoned SHAW several times but all I got was "just come in and get new splitters" Eventually I got a tech to come out but all he did was put in "quality splitters" and didn't do anything with the lines.

I got fed up and gave back the digital boxes and just stuck to analog cable. The Internet was still intermittent so I called again. Was told the signal looked good blah blah blah BUT I fluked out and the modem went off line as I was talking to the tech rep. Finally someone acknowledged that there was signal problem and would send out a tech in TWO WEEKS! WTF? Ok I guess I'll have to wait then.

I couldn't take the day off for the service call so told my daughter to tell them that we have expensive and even powered signal boosters and nothing works, so we need at least one new cable line to be run. Well that day the tech came in and it was raining a bit. Stupid guy rinsted fo getting a little wet from some outside work replaced the splitters with the same ones I already got and said give it a go and if it still happens make a new appointment for anther tech to come out. Seriously? I'm not waiting two more weeks!

So the next call was to cancel my Internet account although since there were no options for other tv providers I was stuck with SHAW for TV.

member for 9.8 years, 476 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by muqmeqe See Profile

• Location: Coquitlam,BC
Good "Better than Telus, but moving to Teksavvy cable"
Bad "Long phone queues, occassional dropouts"
Overall "Until recently the only choice, speeds as advertised,"

Had service since late 2006, speeds as advertised an has been reliable for the most part, cuts out once a month or so. Techs that have been to the house (subcontractors) have been helpful and have helped with extra requests. For a big player, OK - better than Telus. I'm moving over to Teksavvy now that they resell cable in Metro Vancouver. Same price as Shaw for x2 the speed and 5x the GBs.

Comments:

Review by Rob420 See Profile

• Location: Victoria,BC
Good "Best customer service of any company I've known. Good techincal support."
Bad "Could be cheaper."
Overall "One of the best."

I've been with Shaw for over 8 years. They support their equipment 100% even beyond warranty. Completely rewired my house with multiple outlets ( 4 hrs work) for FREE.

Technical phone support very helpful and competent. Fast, reliable service with some slowdown during high usage. No inclination to change this ISP.