Shaw page on DSLReports

Review by Shaw250 See Profile

• Location: Medicine Hat,AB

Still on BB250 after it was canned and could not be happier. 230mbps all day long.

Also on the old grandfathered HD package for $16. Love it!

Don't really have anything bad to say about Shaw. Just bring back Business 250!!!

member for 63 days, 38 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by The E See Profile

• Location: Burnaby,BC
Good "Fast, stable connection, friendly support"
Bad "email server can be flaky"
Overall "better value for the dollar than the 'other company'."

After years of horrid customer service with Telus, I switched to Shaw High Speed.
It's advertised at 5 Mb down/ 512Kb up. Using various speed tests, I've found I average 4.7Mb down / 474Kb up. Not too shabby, not too shabby at all!

The install was smooth, and the Technician was quite the super guy, actually. In addition to installing my internet connection, he rectified a problem I was having with my television service, and repaired/replaced all my cables from *behind* the faceplate to the Television. The picture quality increased immediately. Makes me happy.

I've found that the email server can be kinda flaky at times, although when there has been an email issue I could still access email through Webmail. I hope Shaw fixes whatever is ailing their mail servers.

It's been 3 months with the service, and I have experienced 1 instance of downtime. It was a planned upgrade of the network and was back up and running in under 10 minutes. No complaints there so far.

Many people speak of cable and the "slow-downs" associated with them. I have experienced that first hand back in the early 90's with Rogers Cable. I haven't had ANY slow-downs or service problems to date. My connection seems to be as stable as my Telus connection was, but it's 3 times faster with Shaw.

So far, so good.

member for 12.3 years, 1164 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by FaxCap See Profile

• Location: Surrey,BC
Good "Got the 25meg Extreme...very good speeds."
Bad "Had to switch to an outside news supplier."
Overall "Very happy."

Motorola equipment. Guy showed up on time. Tested signal strength.
Good anti-spam on their mail server. Very very few outages.
Bundled my HDTV, Extreme Internet and Shaw phone.

Shaw has bumped up the speed on the Extreme account to 25mbps.
I regularly get between 22mbps and 24mbps. Very happy.

I now have outside Newsgroup access.

Had one of distro boxes go bad up the road. It was fixed quickly with 3 trucks and 4
guys working on it.

Then a few months ago a big piece of equipment went bad (TV was totally useless
and Net access was slow with millions of dropped packets. That took them a week to
fix. I was NOT happy about that.

P2P is now not throttled.

All in all still quite happy with Shaw.

[EDIT May 2014] Moved to 50meg broadband. Actually getting 104meg DOWN and 5.25meg UP!
And this isn't to a local server here in Vancouver but to the Shaw server in Calgary. Shaw Tech I
talked to out on the street seems to think my complex is on it's own node thus the incredible speeds.

VERY happy!

member for 12.3 years, 2802 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

20424689

join:2014-04-08

cool

if your getting 104/5.25 then thats BB100

it is possible you are only being charged for bb50 and they accidentally provisioned your modem at bb100 speeds. however no one who is on the 50 will ever just get 104/5.25 because there complex is on its own node.

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

Re: cool

Hi....I don't know...I am paying for BB50 but seem to be getting BB100.

Bauwoo

join:2003-12-07

Provisioning

It's very easy to provision a modem for a package and have something difference on the system. Keep your mouth shut and you'll be able to keep it.

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

Re: Provisioning

Oh I plan to!

20424689

join:2014-04-08
no. and i looked into it.

this is a special promo

you are able to get bb100 @ 400GB cap for $80/m.

but its not bridgable. shaw offered to give the plan to me today....

same price and cap as bb50 but you can't bridge the modem.

so basically shaw is charging us $10 to have bridgeable modems now.....

Review by shuubz See Profile

• Location: White Rock,BC
Good "fast and reliable, nothing else available here compares"
Bad "some areas subject to congestion, digital upgrade is going slower than expected"
Overall "if you only care about data (like me), it's the only game in town"

Considered all other options here in south Surrey, BC, Canada. None of the other vendors come anywhere close. no interest in cable TV (haven't watched for years), so pipe speed, bandwidth and quality are the only parameters for this choice. 100/5 reliable speed, adequate service, can handle VPNs and is rarely down. Order and install process in the original residence was fine, but speeds were intermittent. they mostly sorted it after the first few weeks. New place was smooth sailing. Cisco and SMC are the preferred brands, top-end devices. I'm a systems tech, so i run my own network everything, wired and WiFi. Their digital upgrade is still in progress, but i'll be happy to pay them more money once i can get 250/15.

Comments:

Review by focustime_06 See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Always reliable, great tech support, excellent bandwidth caps"
Bad "Sometimes slow during peak hours"
Overall "Great value for money"

I'm currently on the High Speed 25 package with Shaw Cable in Hamilton. This area used to be owned by Mountain Cablevision, but since Shaw has taken over they have increased speeds dramatically in the area. My connection rarely goes down and is only sometimes slow during peak hours. I have 250 GB of bandwidth, which is certainly more than I need.

Compared to competitors and other cable companies in the area, Shaw offers value for money.

Comments:

Review by tony49122 See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Fast, reliable, virtually no outages. Onsite service fast and good."
Bad "Expensive but on par with competition"
Overall "Fast, reliable service. Local call centre usually accessible"

We have combined cable TV and broadband Internet. 50 mpbs Internet and a medium tier selection of TV channels. At $147 it seems like a lot of money each month but is comparable to Telus when comparing apples to apples. I haven't tried Telus for Internet. Shaw is reliable, better than 99% up time for me. No contract. No issues. Would recommend Shaw.

Doing a speed test, our download speed is between 45 and 48 mbps, usually at the upper end, so very close to the 50 mpbs rating. Ping times are around 23 ms.

A recent bonus is Shaw subscribers can access Shaw wifi. Business subscribers can add a hot spot at their location and any other Shaw subscribers in the vicinity can connect via wifi. Usage comes off the home account holder's allotment. Essentially the home wifi gets extended to anywhere there is a Shaw hot spot. In the lower mainland, there are thousands of Shaw hotspots, I'm surprised where they show up.

Comments:

Review by korupt See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "good enough"
Overall "over all the service is OK, but the help desk can be a little overwhelming"

works for me

Comments:

Review by Canadian Man See Profile

• Location: Abbotsford,BC
Good "Fast constant high speed"
Overall "Good value for the money"

I have had Shaw (Rogers) for 12 years.I have a constant 4000/400. I would recomend them to anyone. Better than DSL. In 12years my IP has only changed twice.

member for 13.2 years, 6890 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD

Plan

Your still on a 4mb plan?
lostspaceman

join:2012-07-26
T3N0K7

Re: Plan

I was wondering the same thing

Review by lostspaceman See Profile

• Location: T3N0K7
Good "HD picture quality is awesome, speed is fast and reliable"
Bad "Stuck on old cable guide, speeds can occasionally drop during peak times"
Overall "Solid service, rarely causes issues"

I've been a customer with Shaw on and off for just over 4 years now (I moved around a lot for a few years). I currently have the X-Large tripple play bundle. We use all 3 of our services quite extensively.

TV:

Stuck on the old cable guide, but don't wanna upgrade quite yet. We have the Moto DCX boxes so we get the MPEG 4 HD channels which is a bonus, and a 500GB PVR. Will eventually upgrade to the gateway (Fiancée really wants to watch PVR'd shows in the bedroom), but for now it's cost prohibitive. Shaw HD picture quality is far better than Telus + Bell from the caparisons I've done.

Internet:

BB50, 50Mbps down, 3Mbps up. I have the cisco dpc3825, however the wireless is disabled and using a D-Link dir-835 as a WAP. Most of my house is hardwired with CAT5 which is really nice. Speeds tests were all over the place until I found out that the Calgary speedtest.net servers are awful. Using the Edmonton servers I consistently get between 45-50Mbps down and 2.7 - 2.9Mbps up with a ping time averaging 37ms. Shaw Go Wifi has also saved us a combined $40 a month worth of data charges on our Telus mobility bills. Can't complain about the internet at all.

Phone:

Clear voice quality and works as you'd expect it. have never noticed a difference between my Shaw line and Telus lines I've used extensively in the past.

Overall I'm very happy with my services. Telus has some pretty sweet looking deals (especially since my Telus drop is all fibre... very tempting...) however switching right now isn't an option, and not necessary.

Comments:

Anonytech

@shawcable.net

Promo

Right now shaw has a promo for a gateway and portal @$298. You can trade in your mpeg4 box for another portal which will cover two tv's for the price above.

If you purchase from best buy, price matching will bring the cost to $260, however the trade in program is not available if not purchased through shaw.

Review by squirt See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
Good "they keep trying until they get the problems fixed ...."
Bad "connection can disappear from time to time"

We just have the 'lite' service. It's all we really need.

We've had problems with modems and had to get a new dedicated cable brought in for the computer (we also use Shaw for TV), but the tech service has been pretty impressive.

update: we've had almost continuous problems with the motorola digital cable box since it was installed 5 or 6 weeks ago. after a few attempts to fix things remotely, a third tech in-home visit seems to have fixed things. the tech guy rooted around and found an old splitter in the wall from a previous configuration years back. once the splitter was removed, the signal strength improved immensely. and hopefully, all's well now!

member for 10.4 years, 6160 visits, last login: a few hours ago