Shaw page on DSLReports

Review by FaxCap See Profile

• Location: Surrey,BC
Good "Got the 25meg Extreme...very good speeds."
Bad "Had to switch to an outside news supplier."
Overall "Very happy."

Motorola equipment. Guy showed up on time. Tested signal strength.
Good anti-spam on their mail server. Very very few outages.
Bundled my HDTV, Extreme Internet and Shaw phone.

Shaw has bumped up the speed on the Extreme account to 25mbps.
I regularly get between 22mbps and 24mbps. Very happy.

I now have outside Newsgroup access.

Had one of distro boxes go bad up the road. It was fixed quickly with 3 trucks and 4
guys working on it.

Then a few months ago a big piece of equipment went bad (TV was totally useless
and Net access was slow with millions of dropped packets. That took them a week to
fix. I was NOT happy about that.

P2P is now not throttled.

All in all still quite happy with Shaw.

[EDIT May 2014] Moved to 50meg broadband. Actually getting 104meg DOWN and 5.25meg UP!
And this isn't to a local server here in Vancouver but to the Shaw server in Calgary. Shaw Tech I
talked to out on the street seems to think my complex is on it's own node thus the incredible speeds.

VERY happy!

member for 12.1 years, 2714 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

20424689

join:2014-04-08

cool

if your getting 104/5.25 then thats BB100

it is possible you are only being charged for bb50 and they accidentally provisioned your modem at bb100 speeds. however no one who is on the 50 will ever just get 104/5.25 because there complex is on its own node.

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25

Re: cool

Hi....I don't know...I am paying for BB50 but seem to be getting BB100.

Bauwoo

join:2003-12-07

Provisioning

It's very easy to provision a modem for a package and have something difference on the system. Keep your mouth shut and you'll be able to keep it.

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25

Re: Provisioning

Oh I plan to!

20424689

join:2014-04-08
no. and i looked into it.

this is a special promo

you are able to get bb100 @ 400GB cap for $80/m.

but its not bridgable. shaw offered to give the plan to me today....

same price and cap as bb50 but you can't bridge the modem.

so basically shaw is charging us $10 to have bridgeable modems now.....

Review by shuubz See Profile

• Location: White Rock,BC
Good "fast and reliable, nothing else available here compares"
Bad "some areas subject to congestion, digital upgrade is going slower than expected"
Overall "if you only care about data (like me), it's the only game in town"

Considered all other options here in south Surrey, BC, Canada. None of the other vendors come anywhere close. no interest in cable TV (haven't watched for years), so pipe speed, bandwidth and quality are the only parameters for this choice. 100/5 reliable speed, adequate service, can handle VPNs and is rarely down. Order and install process in the original residence was fine, but speeds were intermittent. they mostly sorted it after the first few weeks. New place was smooth sailing. Cisco and SMC are the preferred brands, top-end devices. I'm a systems tech, so i run my own network everything, wired and WiFi. Their digital upgrade is still in progress, but i'll be happy to pay them more money once i can get 250/15.

Comments:

Review by focustime_06 See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Always reliable, great tech support, excellent bandwidth caps"
Bad "Sometimes slow during peak hours"
Overall "Great value for money"

I'm currently on the High Speed 25 package with Shaw Cable in Hamilton. This area used to be owned by Mountain Cablevision, but since Shaw has taken over they have increased speeds dramatically in the area. My connection rarely goes down and is only sometimes slow during peak hours. I have 250 GB of bandwidth, which is certainly more than I need.

Compared to competitors and other cable companies in the area, Shaw offers value for money.

member for 1 year, 1 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by tony49122 See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Fast, reliable, virtually no outages. Onsite service fast and good."
Bad "Expensive but on par with competition"
Overall "Fast, reliable service. Local call centre usually accessible"

We have combined cable TV and broadband Internet. 50 mpbs Internet and a medium tier selection of TV channels. At $147 it seems like a lot of money each month but is comparable to Telus when comparing apples to apples. I haven't tried Telus for Internet. Shaw is reliable, better than 99% up time for me. No contract. No issues. Would recommend Shaw.

Doing a speed test, our download speed is between 45 and 48 mbps, usually at the upper end, so very close to the 50 mpbs rating. Ping times are around 23 ms.

A recent bonus is Shaw subscribers can access Shaw wifi. Business subscribers can add a hot spot at their location and any other Shaw subscribers in the vicinity can connect via wifi. Usage comes off the home account holder's allotment. Essentially the home wifi gets extended to anywhere there is a Shaw hot spot. In the lower mainland, there are thousands of Shaw hotspots, I'm surprised where they show up.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by korupt See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "good enough"
Overall "over all the service is OK, but the help desk can be a little overwhelming"

·TELUS
works for me

member for 14.3 years, 5684 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Canadian Man See Profile

• Location: Abbotsford,BC
Good "Fast constant high speed"
Overall "Good value for the money"
(ratings well above consensus)

I have had Shaw (Rogers) for 12 years.I have a constant 4000/400. I would recomend them to anyone. Better than DSL. In 12years my IP has only changed twice.

member for 13 years, 6793 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD

Plan

Your still on a 4mb plan?
lostspaceman

join:2012-07-26
T3N0K7

Re: Plan

I was wondering the same thing

Review by lostspaceman See Profile

• Location: T3N0K7
Good "HD picture quality is awesome, speed is fast and reliable"
Bad "Stuck on old cable guide, speeds can occasionally drop during peak times"
Overall "Solid service, rarely causes issues"

I've been a customer with Shaw on and off for just over 4 years now (I moved around a lot for a few years). I currently have the X-Large tripple play bundle. We use all 3 of our services quite extensively.

TV:

Stuck on the old cable guide, but don't wanna upgrade quite yet. We have the Moto DCX boxes so we get the MPEG 4 HD channels which is a bonus, and a 500GB PVR. Will eventually upgrade to the gateway (Fiancée really wants to watch PVR'd shows in the bedroom), but for now it's cost prohibitive. Shaw HD picture quality is far better than Telus + Bell from the caparisons I've done.

Internet:

BB50, 50Mbps down, 3Mbps up. I have the cisco dpc3825, however the wireless is disabled and using a D-Link dir-835 as a WAP. Most of my house is hardwired with CAT5 which is really nice. Speeds tests were all over the place until I found out that the Calgary speedtest.net servers are awful. Using the Edmonton servers I consistently get between 45-50Mbps down and 2.7 - 2.9Mbps up with a ping time averaging 37ms. Shaw Go Wifi has also saved us a combined $40 a month worth of data charges on our Telus mobility bills. Can't complain about the internet at all.

Phone:

Clear voice quality and works as you'd expect it. have never noticed a difference between my Shaw line and Telus lines I've used extensively in the past.

Overall I'm very happy with my services. Telus has some pretty sweet looking deals (especially since my Telus drop is all fibre... very tempting...) however switching right now isn't an option, and not necessary.

member for 1.9 years, 147 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Anonytech

@shawcable.net

Promo

Right now shaw has a promo for a gateway and portal @$298. You can trade in your mpeg4 box for another portal which will cover two tv's for the price above.

If you purchase from best buy, price matching will bring the cost to $260, however the trade in program is not available if not purchased through shaw.

Review by squirt See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
Good "they keep trying until they get the problems fixed ...."
Bad "connection can disappear from time to time"

We just have the 'lite' service. It's all we really need.

We've had problems with modems and had to get a new dedicated cable brought in for the computer (we also use Shaw for TV), but the tech service has been pretty impressive.

update: we've had almost continuous problems with the motorola digital cable box since it was installed 5 or 6 weeks ago. after a few attempts to fix things remotely, a third tech in-home visit seems to have fixed things. the tech guy rooted around and found an old splitter in the wall from a previous configuration years back. once the splitter was removed, the signal strength improved immensely. and hopefully, all's well now!

member for 10.2 years, 6059 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Mango See Profile

• Location: Burnaby,BC
Good "Reliable, low packet loss, fast, no speed throttling."
Overall "Yay free Canada/US calling!"

·Callcentric
·Anveo
·AcroVoice
I received some assistance from a couple of Shaw reps here in the forums so I thought it appropriate to raise my rating for Tech Support. Thanks

Shaw recently released new prices and packages in accordance with promotion of their Shaw Exo network. As a result, my internet speed has doubled, I now have free Canada/US calling, and my monthly fees DROPPED $2/month. I thought this would be an appropriate time to update my review.

My employer has had a longer relationship with Shaw's business internet than they have with me. Connection reliability has been excellent. Since 2005 when I started working there, we've had only one outage during business hours, and we were notified about that a week before it happened. The quality of the bandwidth has been excellent - speeds are always as advertised and latency and packet loss is quite acceptable.

We've had Shaw Phone since 2009. I like it for its audio quality noticeably better than Telus and free features. My favourite feature is Caller ID blocking for telemarketers. The only thing that could be improved is that incoming Caller ID Name does not always work. It displays "OT OF AREA", or simply "O", for about 7% of names (yes, I measured) that do display properly on Telus, cell, and VoIP phones.

I've rated Install Co-ordination two stars because both installs we had were rocky. I ordered one phone line and then a few months later ordered three more. During the first installation, the tech wanted to leave before the line would receive calls. I said I would report him if he left me without a phone. He fixed it. The second installation involved a total of five technicians in three visits to do a job that could have easily been done by one tech in one visit.

member for 5.5 years, 3304 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

crapple

@shawcable.net

Shaw internet

Recently I changed from 7Mb/s internet to 20 and it is actually WORSE with my original internet I was getting 200ms ping in games now its jacked up to 900ms ping. Shitty internet shaw has.

Review by art22gg See Profile

• Location: Courtenay,BC
Good "Service techs available 24/7//365"
Overall "Have noticed a big improvement in wait times"

Overall I am satisfied with all aspects of my ISP.
Never had any malfunctioning or buggy equipment.
Currently using a Motorola SB5102 modem...changed from an old Terayon(don,t remember model no.)
Dl speeds for my needs are very good,have improved quite a bit over time.
Have been a customer for approx. 10 years now--no major hiccups

member for 9.4 years, 2323 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Lesaonar

join:2000-07-25
Victoria, BC

Just sign up for Shaw Friends.

If you want to cut your wait times down, sign up for Shaw friends and use their concierge chat. Wait times are in the minutes and the reps are exceptionally helpful. There are also other perks for double and triple play customers.

»www.shaw.ca/shawfriends/
Anon filter enabled. Register an account if you want to be taken seriously.
mik724

join:2002-08-09

Wait time for Tech Support

Wait time to talk to Tech Support today was 2.5 hours!