Covad Communications page on DSLReports

Review by dvarona See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,Queens,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Reliable enough to ignore"
Bad "Behind-the-times webmail interface"
Overall "Does what it should, keeps on ticking"

Signed up for Covad's ADSL2+ 8Mbps service in October 2007 via a web page sign-up for $159/mo. Hookup was quick but was not without the typical local carrier / ISP confusion. Service has been running without a glitch since it was installed so that I don't even think about it, and that that is exactly what it should do. My download speeds are reliably about 600-800KB/s, which is pretty close to the theoretical limit.

Covad provides a wireless router that they manage, but will allow you to control it yourself if you know what you are doing. I haven't taken advantage of this self-control possibility, but I might in order to prevent wireless thieves.

Their tech support / webmail interface is far from slick, but is functional. When/if FIOS becomes available I might switch, though I hate the idea of Verizon being able to rip the copper out of the wall just because competitors use it. Until they get around to serving us city folk I'll keep my DSL.

Update July 2011: late last year, Covad and Speakeasy merged with MegaPath. A couple of months later, they decided that they should start charging taxes *on*top*of* monthly service charges. So, after about 3 years of service, my charges went up by a little over $15 to $175/mo. However, when browsing their portal I saw that I could upgrade from 8Mbps to 10Mbps with no change in charges, only a "commitment" of another year. I signed up, and now am getting download speeds of 1070KB/s throughput, and that corresponds to the new upgrade speed. Downloads easily reach 1MB/s, if I'm downloading a file.

I have had a few small outages, but these were resolved fairly quickly with calls to tech support. Their e-mail support response is very spotty, so call in to Covad/MegaPath if you have any problems.

Update June 2014: I am finally able to switch to FIOS. Although the Covad line comes with static IPs, the $175/mo price for this service is overkill compared to newer offerings. My Verizon FIOS will come with TV + Internet for about $130/mo, so perhaps I'll get rid of my $90/mo TWC bill in the process. Reducing my costs from $265 to $130, while bumping my download speeds by a factor of 7! (Currently 10/1 going up to 75/35 Mbps.)

Comments:

Review by jtpeck2001 See Profile

• Location: Carlsbad,San Diego,CA
Good "Great support from field team, solid speeds up and down"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "very happy with service"

Was under contract with Megapath for their 18/1 ethernet over copper service... called about 45 prior to moving my office to a new location. The new location had a different CO and didn't have the exact same product available, instead the lowest offering was a 20/2 ethernet over copper plan. Initially they wanted $350 per month for this, but after agreeing to a 3 year term, they gave me a price of $165 a month.

The line to my new building was provisioned within a week, a whole month before we were going to move in. We ended up having to move into our new suite a week earlier than planned and needed the new line working immediately. Megapath's field tech team worked with us to make it happen the day after I called. I was impressed and thankful.

Though I've never been a fan of Megapath, the technology is sound and provides a solid connect for a data and VoIP needs.

Comments:

Review by richholst1 See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Reliable Service-Dependable Speeds"
Bad "Covad may have passed this line off?"
Overall "Big City Service that's been Consistent for 12 years +."

I haven't put in a review for some time on the COVAD ISP.

I'm not sure that the provider is still COVAD? Service has been good and I get sorta 1200/325 for my $39.00 which hs been since it ws installed in 2000/01. I just recently had a them replace an 8 year old modem and I was back on line in 4 days, which is pretty good. So I would rate them tops. The customer support is good and I always get a quick response to my calls and my problems. I will stick with them until somehing much better comes along.

Rich H, Phila

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Nada Covad

Covad is not MegaPath. Has been for some time now.

Review by DC DSL See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Rock solid connection, one outage in 3 years."
Bad "Costs a bit more than Verizon's current offering."
Overall "Still the gold standard for business DSL in the DC area"

As of January, 2012, I have no clients currently using Covad/MegaPath. I was completely satisfied with the service at the non-profits I had using it. The ones that didn't go under or merge with larger organizations during the worst of the economic downturn I moved to Verizon business bundles to save them money. I will certainly consider MegaPath's offerings in the future.

member for 14.2 years, 6198 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mecadeus See Profile

• Location: Oakland,Alameda,CA
Good "No"
Bad "DSL down 6 days"
Overall "AVOID"

Our firm has had Covad DSL for several years. DSL was down last Friday morning (9/30/11) upon arrival at the office. Covad could not send a tech to troubleshoot until Monday. Found nothing wrong at our site. Today (Thursday 10/6) DSL is STILL down! Covad keeps giving varies excuses. Tech support almost impossible to reach (hold time up to one hour). It's been almost a full week and still no DSL and no ETA for service renewal. We are switching providers ASAP.

Comments:

Review by fchan65 See Profile

• Location: Berkeley,Alameda,CA
Good "Fast and reliable fixed based wireless carrier"
Bad "Lose connection due interferrence due to objects or large scale emergencies."
Overall "Great for areas due to heavy construction digging up phone or network lines."

We have a fixed based wireless ethernet connection with 6Mb up and down. The original provider was called NextWeb which was bought out by Covad in 2006 and now this division is called Covad Wireless and now they have been bough by TelePacific but there is no TelePacific so that is why I put it Covad category.

I inherited this wireless network from the previous administrator but I think this a good set up. I have a business in middle of a area that is always under construction for various reasons so they tend to dig up the roads here and sometimes dig up phone and network lines so that is the reason we decided go to wireless. We had no real problems with the network until one day they put a construction crane in between us and the base station and our connection will come and go as the construction crane moved during the day. At first we didn't know what was happening so I called the tech for several days until they had sent in a tech and noticed the crane in the way. They were willing to relocate the antenna so the crane will not interfere with the signal. Also during the large scale emergency like the March 11, 2011 Japan earthquake & tsunami which the DHS implemented emergency procedures which affected certain radio frequencies including ones that that run our wireless line. You can upgrade different unit that runs on different frequencies.

I test my connection everyday and we do get about 6Mb up and down and most of the time it is faster than this as you can see in the speedtest I do.

member for 10.5 years, 1405 visits, last login: 139 days ago

Comments:

Review by gandozer See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
  • Telco party SBC
Good "Reliable but slow and under 50% advertised speed"
Bad "About 35% Advertised Connection Speed for the Price"
Overall "Bad value for service"

Had Service for 9 years since 2003. Was paying for 1500 Kbps/768 Kbps DSL at 49.00 per month, 12-month contract. Actually receiving around 500 Kbps/300 Kbps. A ZyXEL Prestige 645 dsl modem was the equipment given with $99.00 rebate upon signup and 12 month subscription.

Had them to repeatedly up my connection speed to no avail. With competition prices and enticements, it was time to change over.

Comments:

Review by jtech36 See Profile

Good "When it works, its perfect"
Bad "Too hard to convince them that it is an internal routing issue on covad's side"
Overall "They went from the best level down to dslextrme's level"

This is the story,

On a Friday i got a call from one of our stores that thier connection was down, (no sync on the modem) had my rep do basic troubleshooting anf couldnt get it to work so I call in to tech support, i advise them of the issue and they see the circuit is down. They setup a dispatch. the girl that i was talking to tells me that 1 of our 3 circuits are down at that location so i say "no this line is only a 768 circuit" she tells me that she will open a ticket to get the issue reosleved. I am still wondering what she is talking about. Over the weekend I realize that she is talking about our corporate headqaurters. On monday i receive a call from a level1 tech telling me that he has reprovisioned the lines and that all four circuits are up and he wants me to check my download speeds. Immediately i think "dang WTF, HQ is down due to this reprovision" at no point did i get at least a warning saying that they are going to reprovison the line. Well this introduced an internal routing issue with covad system, out of 13 locations only 4 locations were connecting via vpn to ur HQ. (the line that just got reprovisioned) I ran trace routes from the location that were online and physically went to the locations that were down to run traceroute, and guess what, The lines that were up I could traceroute to any IP except the one for HQ, at the locations that were down icould not traceroute to HQ but icould to any other IP that did not belong to the covad network. in the end it took 4 days to convince them that its an issue on thier side not mine. This caused our company a tremendous amount of time and money. To this day, we are still trying to get covad to compensate our downtime due to their level1 tech's mistake but of course they keep avoiding us.

Comments:

Review by dandydonh See Profile

• Location: Gilroy,Santa Clara,CA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "was great for the first 9 years"
Bad "merged with megapath, tech support just closes tickets"
Overall "on the edge of giving covad the boot"

I have been a direct covad business dsl customer for the past 9 years. In all of that time, I only needed to call tech support perhaps 3 times, with one of those times being silly user error. Speeds were great and I never had an issue.

As of last fall, the bill went up to $100/month for 3000/768 speeds as well as lots of problems.Uploads/downloads started to stall and my speeds based on speed tests are lower then previously obtained. Calls to tech support provide no resolution with the tech being totally indifferent to the issues. One tech will find a problem, then the next day I will receive an automated email saying that multiple attempts to contact me were unsuccessful with the ticket being closed. Of course, no actual call occurred. Calling back and reopening the ticket, tech then finds no problem and another automated email with the ticket being closed.

I can not get resolution to my issues and have an almost unusable internet connection. I have started looking around at my other options at this point.

In a nutshell:

overpriced based on price comparison with other providers like launchnet or dslextreme

uploads/downloads stalling. Fun watching your file transfer speeds bounce from full speed to stalled. Looks a lot like traffic shaping, but techs say no to that.

tech support just wants you off the phone and will close tickets. It has happened three times now and I just gave up calling.

Covad has no desire to take care of our treat right their long term customers.

Covad was once a great isp, then they merged with megapath and the greatness is gone.

Comments:

Review by singbone

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Good "n/a"
Bad "Rude sales people"
Overall "Despite \"

In shopping for DSL stand alone for RESIDENTIAL use, Covad appeared on
first Google page. Even though their web site says "residential" and
the resulting telephone # search ( for availability) resulted in only
BUSINESS related quotes, calling for clarification terminated in a
"disconnect" (!?!?!?). Disconnect accidental? A 2nd call finally resulted in a
quote for $74/mo for residential. The next day Covad
calls and I explain my prior experience . Another "disconnect".
Obviously not accidental.

I share this experience with anyone seeing this to not only steer
residential users elsewhere but to suggest that "business" users for DSL may want to consider doing business with a company that is in sync with its web marketing AND knows how to treat potential customers.

(review was emailed from domain att.net)