Covad Communications page on DSLReports

Review by dvarona See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,Queens,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Reliable enough to ignore"
Bad "Behind-the-times webmail interface"
Overall "Does what it should, keeps on ticking"

Signed up for Covad's ADSL2+ 8Mbps service in October 2007 via a web page sign-up for $159/mo. Hookup was quick but was not without the typical local carrier / ISP confusion. Service has been running without a glitch since it was installed so that I don't even think about it, and that that is exactly what it should do. My download speeds are reliably about 600-800KB/s, which is pretty close to the theoretical limit.

Covad provides a wireless router that they manage, but will allow you to control it yourself if you know what you are doing. I haven't taken advantage of this self-control possibility, but I might in order to prevent wireless thieves.

Their tech support / webmail interface is far from slick, but is functional. When/if FIOS becomes available I might switch, though I hate the idea of Verizon being able to rip the copper out of the wall just because competitors use it. Until they get around to serving us city folk I'll keep my DSL.

Update July 2011: late last year, Covad and Speakeasy merged with MegaPath. A couple of months later, they decided that they should start charging taxes *on*top*of* monthly service charges. So, after about 3 years of service, my charges went up by a little over $15 to $175/mo. However, when browsing their portal I saw that I could upgrade from 8Mbps to 10Mbps with no change in charges, only a "commitment" of another year. I signed up, and now am getting download speeds of 1070KB/s throughput, and that corresponds to the new upgrade speed. Downloads easily reach 1MB/s, if I'm downloading a file.

I have had a few small outages, but these were resolved fairly quickly with calls to tech support. Their e-mail support response is very spotty, so call in to Covad/MegaPath if you have any problems.

Update June 2014: I am finally able to switch to FIOS. Although the Covad line comes with static IPs, the $175/mo price for this service is overkill compared to newer offerings. My Verizon FIOS will come with TV + Internet for about $130/mo, so perhaps I'll get rid of my $90/mo TWC bill in the process. Reducing my costs from $265 to $130, while bumping my download speeds by a factor of 7! (Currently 10/1 going up to 75/35 Mbps.)

Comments:

Review by jtpeck2001 See Profile

• Location: Carlsbad,San Diego,CA
Good "Great support from field team, solid speeds up and down"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "very happy with service"

Was under contract with Megapath for their 18/1 ethernet over copper service... called about 45 prior to moving my office to a new location. The new location had a different CO and didn't have the exact same product available, instead the lowest offering was a 20/2 ethernet over copper plan. Initially they wanted $350 per month for this, but after agreeing to a 3 year term, they gave me a price of $165 a month.

The line to my new building was provisioned within a week, a whole month before we were going to move in. We ended up having to move into our new suite a week earlier than planned and needed the new line working immediately. Megapath's field tech team worked with us to make it happen the day after I called. I was impressed and thankful.

Though I've never been a fan of Megapath, the technology is sound and provides a solid connect for a data and VoIP needs.

Comments:

Review by richholst1 See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Reliable Service-Dependable Speeds"
Bad "Covad may have passed this line off?"
Overall "Big City Service that's been Consistent for 12 years +."

I haven't put in a review for some time on the COVAD ISP.

I'm not sure that the provider is still COVAD? Service has been good and I get sorta 1200/325 for my $39.00 which hs been since it ws installed in 2000/01. I just recently had a them replace an 8 year old modem and I was back on line in 4 days, which is pretty good. So I would rate them tops. The customer support is good and I always get a quick response to my calls and my problems. I will stick with them until somehing much better comes along.

Rich H, Phila

updated 1 year ago

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Nada Covad

Covad is not MegaPath. Has been for some time now.

Review by DC DSL See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Rock solid connection, one outage in 3 years."
Bad "Costs a bit more than Verizon's current offering."
Overall "Still the gold standard for business DSL in the DC area"

As of January, 2012, I have no clients currently using Covad/MegaPath. I was completely satisfied with the service at the non-profits I had using it. The ones that didn't go under or merge with larger organizations during the worst of the economic downturn I moved to Verizon business bundles to save them money. I will certainly consider MegaPath's offerings in the future.

Comments:

Review by guhuna See Profile

• Location: Discovery Bay,Contra Costa,CA
Good "Good peering, stable network."
Bad "None yet."
Overall "Still to early to tell."

·PHONE POWER
Ordered service on 11-11-08 and it went live on 11-17-08. Setup was painless. Netopia modem/router combo is nice and easy to setup. Had a problem with the remote terminal in the beginning that had to be fixed but once it was given the green light everything was back to normal.

The only draw back was that I was forced to buy the Netopia modem/router. I didn't and still don't have a need for it. I asked if it could be waived but was denied. The good thing about it is that they give you a rebate. So its technically free so I don't really mind.

Tech support seems to know what they were doing. Provisioning on the other hands needs a lot of work. It was outsourced somewhere but the tech support seems to be either US or Canadian based.

After being live for a couple of days now I'm happy so far with the service.

member for 13.6 years, 7199 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dmnall See Profile

• Location: Goleta,Santa Barbara,CA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Super Fast, Low Latency, So Far Smooth"
Bad "35 Days for a T1 to get installed"
Overall "Love the T1 service so far and I highly recommend a T1"

I had Speak Easy for idsl 144 kbps down and up. I started needing a faster connection, so I looked at Covad Wireless for 1 mbps down and up but since I could not get line of site, they offered a full T1 with free equipment and free install for $ 300 a month. I would have stayed with SpeakEasy however, they were screwing around with my bill because of an RMA on an idsl modem and I wanted to get a T1 because idsl is just soo slow when you want to do voip and online gaming.

4/27 ordered a T1 service. 48 hours later on 4/29/2010 got an e-mail stating May 11, 2010 Verizon was going to finish the install.

5/11 T1 was not finished because Verizon needed a pole of theirs to be cleared of Poison Oak. So waiting status on the T1.

5/13 Verizon Techs both said the T1 was finished, so I made a call to Covad. Well after 2 - 3x calls that day Covad finally found out that even though the T1 was installed, it was not hooked up at the Central Office for Testing.

5/14 recieve e-mail that Verizon was going to go back to finish the T1 on 5/27 9 Business days when the normal time period is 5 business days. So I was still waiting and my idsl I cancelled on 5/14 before I got the e-mail. So no internet at all and Covad was trying to get Verizon to get it finished up sooner.

5/27 Verizon is finished and I called up Covad again. I found out they had a tech scheduled for 6/3/2010 but I wanted it up before that because I have some bills to pay. Soonest Date I got was 6/1/2010.. I got on the phone to see if there was a sooner time frame, they tried for 5/28 with no luck, was asked to call back on 5/28 to see if there was a cancellation to put me on the list.

5/28 Called up again No Luck.

6/1 Covad was due out between 9:00 am - 1:00 pm waited until 1:00 is when the tech showed up, set the 4 pairs to my old idsl Jack, programmed T1 Router and he tested the connection. I had to make a change from static ip to dhcp on my linksys wrt54g router since the T1 router is giving the ip to my wireless router. Tested the connection, well worth the wait in my opinion.. 12 X faster then my old idsl and took a huge amount of time from downloading some video files *332 MB = 4 - 4.5 hours on idsl now 30 minuets on the T1*... 35 day wait time was annoying, however, still better the 94 days on the idsl 5 years ago.

Cheers,

Charlie

Comments:

Review by YrbkMgr See Profile

• Location: Highland Park,Lake,IL
Good "Decent Speed, Decent Uptime, Decent Value"
Overall "I'd do it again"

I've been with Covad (first through Netcom, who was purchased by Earthlink/Mindspring) for over 10 years. I've had downtime a total of maybe five times in that period. Earthlink also provides free dialup (10 hours per month) in case the system ever goes down.

Recently there have been some weird connection issues where the connection just drops. Earthlink have been very responsive, although they could not figure it out. They even had a tech come to my place and inspect the telephone wires.

Customer service has been outstanding, considering that they live in a black box and don't know what a user may have done, or may not be updated as to outtages. If you review my speed test history results, you'll see there there has been a period of very slow connectivity. That seems to have gone away.

When I started with Netcom (who uses Covad), they provided me with a SpeedStream DSL modem. When I moved within the past couple of years, in switching my location, they provided a Zytel modem. I'm still using the SpeedStream.

Except for the recent anomalies with connectivity, I've been a staunch supporter of Earthlink/Covad because they have been very trouble-free, and had responsive technical support. For the money, it's been a bargain.

Comments:

Review by slimjim8094 See Profile

• Location: Glen Ridge,Essex,NJ
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Reasonable price, speed, no caps, no port 80 blocking"
Bad "Goes out too frequently, good if it was faster"
Overall "Good value"

We switched from Verizon DSL because they sucked - blocked outgoing port 80 and 25 and was mind-numbingly slow (768kbps download and 96kbps upload)

We had a pre-existing AT&T email address we couldn't lose (from our dialup days) so we were paying for both services - AT&T Dialup and Verizon DSL.

We finally outgrew the speed and got 1.5Mbit/256Kbit through AT&T, who was reselling Covad's DSL (at least in our area) and gave us a plan that would bundle the dialup/email and the dsl for much less money. We have since upgraded to 3MBit/384kbit.

The install kit went unused - we just re-used our Verizon modem (a Westell) which is actually slightly faster (a few kbps)

I have filled the connection, both ways, for a full month (literally) and heard nothing about it. No throttling, speed is consistent and almost as advertised (we're a bit away from the DSLAM). We'd appreciate if it was faster, and it goes out about once every other month.

All in all, very pleased.

Comments:

Review by hrickpa See Profile

• Location: Reading,Berks,PA
Good "quick setup"
Bad "the modem they supplyed"
Overall "excllent service"

·Verizon Online DSL
i have 3.0 /384 @ $ 39.95
dynamic ip and use PPoE
i orderd from »highspeed.aol.com

they sent Broadxent 8012-v
problem with the modem (loose sync alot during the day)
suppost to get a broadxent 4 port router instead of the broadxent bridge 8012-v
according to the info when i orderd
i ended up using my own modem (broadxent 8012U)
no dissconnects running 13 days with no sync loss

it was only down twice in 5 months

Update 1
they sent me a replacement modem Broadxent 8120
the broadxent 8012-v went bad

Update 2
the past month there was a major outtage that lasted 11 hours, and there were outtages that lasted for at least 30 minutes that happens twice a week in early morning hours. On sunday april 4th there was an outtage between 1 am to 4 am
worked intermittently (couldn't access some sites none of the search engines worked ).It took atleast 30 minutes to get techsupport. by that time it was working again.

Update 3
beginning of july i was without service for a week the 9th to the 13th
i had no sync that time

Update 4
good comany to go with but expensive
No longer have service from this comany
i went with verizon dsl's 7.1/768 at $37.95

Comments:

Review by kgb762 See Profile

• Location: Memphis,Shelby,TN
Good "great for gaming"
Bad "out-sourced tech support, but who doesn't these days"
Overall "pricey but good; if you game"

My choices were:
16000/2000 from Comcast for $52.99
6000/768 from AT&T for $36.99
1536/384 from Covad Communications for $69.99

I tried AT&T first. They have reliable & fast service but they refused to take my account out of safe-mode, so I was pinging 34dos best to Atlanta and I route 4th hop to Atlanta. I was getting 55dos ping to DFW/VIRGINIA/NYC/CHI. AT&T is good if you just like to download at roughly 425k but it is terrible for gaming. And apparently all you need to be a level 3 tech at AT&T's tech support office is a high-school diploma and no previous job training.

I tried Comcast Business Class next. I live in a highly populated area where apparently a lot of people use comcast. I was only getting about 2200 of my downstream. The dos pings were okay. 28 to Atlanta 48 to DFW/VIRGINIA/NYC/CHI. Comcast's tech support makes the level 3 tech support guys at AT&T seem like rocket scientists.

I ended up with Covad, I get 1320/330(160kbps/44kbps) of the advertised 1536/330 dedicated-loop ADSL package. I live roughly 7,400 feet away from the DSL Central Office, which is plenty close to get their 3000/768 or 6000/768 packages but it's a big waste of money if you game. All 3 of their standard packages get the same dos pings, which are all good. 21 to Atlanta 35-37 to Virginia/WDC 41to NYC/CHI 44 to DFW. By the way, when very first getting the service in 2004, I had to call up and ask them to put my account on fastpath(out of safe mode). If you want the lower ping you have to request this.

If you game then you'll know what all this gibberish means. If you don't game, Covad isn't for you.

Covad does charge $175 for professional installation and a high router charge fee but you get a mail-in rebate for both. All you have to pay up front is the activation fee of 50 dollars.

Bottom line, if you live in Memphis, TN and you live within 12,000 feet of your CO and you game; get 1536/384 dedicated loop ADSL from Covad Communications. It is unbeatable, just pricey.

member for 6 years, 0 visits, last login: 6 years ago