Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by static416 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Speed as advertised for HTTP use only"
Bad "SSL, VPN, and bittorrent are all throttled to the extreme"
Overall "25Mbit service is like owning a Ferrari with a 80kph governor. Expensive and pointless."

UPDATE: March 24, 2010
I dropped the 25Mbit package briefly, then returned when the price dropped to $69. While the monthly cost is more reasonable, the throttling is the same. And the caps have gotten worse, exceeding 125GB now has a max overage of $50.

Bell 25/7 service is a better deal if you can get it. Faster upload and they allow you to buy bandwidth.

Rogers CSRs still know nothing. Not familiar with the packages they offer or even aware that they throttle traffic.

OLD REVIEW:
Previously used Teksavvy. First thing I noticed with Rogers is that their CSR's, even the techs, are not very knowledgeable. I'm more familiar with the technology than they are and I'm just a software engineer.

The 25Mbit and 50Mbit plans are a complete ripoff. What's the point of having a fast connection if it's throttled down to nothing 24/7. Bittorrent and VPN are essentially useless. Which raises concerns not only about honesty in advertising, but also privacy as well if they are not going to let you use VPN to protect yourself.

I don't see Rogers is going to get anyone to continue to pay for this service. Speed is only useful for downloading large files, and they won't let you do that, so what's the point in paying $100 for the speed?

Don't pay for anything higher than the $45 10 Mbit package.

Comments:

Review by DaemonQ4 See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "Fast and reliable"
Bad "Up to $50 in bandwidth overage every month..."
Overall "If you stay within your tier for usage its great! If not... It can get expensive FAST!"

I do video editing and deal with high def video content - My average transfer is over 200GB a month - My base plan is $60 a month - up until the end of Feb 2010 the most that I had to pay for internet was my base price of $60 for 95GB of usage plus $25 over use fee. $85 for 10 Meg access no limit is pricey but livable... I received a notice that the $25 over limit fee would be increased to $50. Teksavvy DSL dryloop is being installed Thursday...

So-Long Robbers... Its been fun...

member for 10.2 years, 268 visits, last login: 3.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by fshafique See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Reliable for the most part."
Bad "Very Pricey! Bad for torrents! Vague EULA caused them to threaten me with disconnection a bunch of times!"
Overall "If price isn't an issue, and if you don't mind heavy throttling, then go for it."

I was with Rogers since about '98/'99. Kudos to them for being one of the first few to offer broadband to the home, but since then, they've tightened up a lot.

I had been threatened with disconnection for "heavy usage" -- before limits were even defined, or bandwidth meters were in place. IIRC, I believe I was abruptly disconnected too and had to make a call.

I had also been threatened with disconnection for having rogue malware on my home network -- I'd be disconnected if the malware was still detected the next day, and they didn't give me the technical details, so I couldn't figure out if they had made a false positive on a valid program.

Then there's always the throttling of p2p and other uploads.

And finally, the prices were too high and not competitive enough.

Comments:

Review by backness See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "NONE"
Bad "Throttleling/ connection drops randomly"
Overall "I wish rogers would just get out of the internet business"

Rogers is CRAP

Get Teksavvy

Update: I'm still a hater.

Comments:

Review by ssherwood See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "When you use HTTP only it can be very fast ..."
Bad "Value for the dollar, Throttling and Bandwith Monitoring (the monitor can't add it seems)"
Overall "Speed tests are great, but how about real world usage? (see updates)"

UPDATE --> as of January 29, 2010

My relationship with Rogers for Internet is coming to a close. I've canceled my account and will no longer be receiving their services in a few more days.

I can chalk this up to one simple reason - I no longer see the value in this service.

When I first signed up for Roger's Extreme Internet service in 2005 (not my initial review which was pre-DOCSIS), it was certainly one of the fastest and most reliable connections around.

Fast forward to 2010, and I'm paying more for less.

Less speed doing anything other than NNTP and HTTP
Less bandwidth allowed monthly

While watching most of the other services at Rogers get service improvements, the Extreme tier was left at the same service level while the price increased.

I've moved on to greener pastures - at least as far as my wallet is concerned, and doubt I will miss this side of the fence much.

See ya!

-- SS

UPDATE --> as of April 1, 2008

My Extreme internet now “up to” 10mbit/1mbit speed. I’ve just received a letter indicating a new bandwidth capping regime which will limit extreme accounts to 95GB of total transfer allowance. What is striking about this is that they include an analysis of 3 previous months usage which I know with 100% certainty is incredibly inaccurate. How can Rogers possibly justify charging its customers for over usage when their tools can’t even get the figures straight?

I pay about $55/month for this service. This price would be fair if Rogers delivered what they promised me when I signed up – my connection’s rated speed and unlimited bandwidth. As I don’t really use P2P, their current throttling regime doesn’t bother me, but how long until they start throttling everything like email and www?

I am now in the difficult position of having to evaluate cancelling my home internet with Rogers to look at other alternatives… do yourself a favor and avoid Rogers until these issues are sorted out.

-------------------------------

UPDATE --> as of October 17, 2005

My Extreme internet continues to be fairly rock solid. I've been upgraded to the new and improved 6mbit service. (6000/800kbit)

My speed tests are very static, never mind the time of day. There is a slight variation, but the dip is hardly worth mentioning.

Typical results range from 5400 / 740 to 5800 / 785 kbit/s.

Forget using many P2P programs with Rogers though. BitTorrent, while I rarely use it, once ran very quickly with Rogers, and now generally crawls. They apparently have new hardware which allows them to throttle certain types of traffic, and they seem to dislike P2P applications traffic the most. Typical speeds using BT can be as low as 20-30kb/s, with well seeded torrents. (100+ seeds) So, if BT is important to you, be prepared for disappointment.

I should say that this behavior seems to be limited to certain areas as they don't have enough of the "boxes" to throttle their whole network simultaneously, and apparently move them from place to place to share the speed limiting joy. YMMV

I'll close this update by saying that it is great for all the speed tests to show that your connection is working very close to its maximum potential only to find that when you try to use your application of choice that you are being throttled as "somebody" has decided that certain types of traffic are either low priority or undesirable. I find it more than a little annoying that they continue to flaunt the idea of unlimited usage and lightning fast speeds/downloads when the vast majority of users of P2P applications will find that this is NOT the case.

Last I had heard Bell/Sympatico, the other major ISP in this area, do not impose bandwidth caps or limits... you may be better off with them if you are a heavy downloader!

-------------------------------

UPDATE as of January 13, 2005

I've switched from Bell/Sympatico's DSL to the new Roger's / Yahoo Hi-Speed Internet - Extreme. I made this decision based on a special offer with digital cable and wireless bundling. So far the speeds have been fairly good, though slowdowns have been experienced.

The installation at my new location went very well, with the installer arriving during the 3 hour window and spending a great deal of time wiring things to my specifications. I was very pleased on the whole with the installer. (though I didn't let him touch my computer system)

Typical daytime speedtests are 4500kbit / 700kbit and I do sometimes enjoy even faster results.

Unfortunately, a large part of the day, especially in "peak hours" from 4pm until midnight, my speed are 50% of the rated speed. (2500kbit / 350 kbit)

For a few weeks during the Christmas break, my speeds were fairly slow 24/7. We're talking 1500kbit / 200kbit tests at any hour, including early morning. (2am - 4am)

But for the most part, speeds have been greatly improved over my Rogers @home experience noted above in the review. Roger's internet services have improved and I am going to stick with them for the time being.

===========================
Original Review

If peaks and valleys are your thing, then Rogers "High Speed" internet is for you. When its fast, its VERY fast. (3 times faster than most of the major DSL providers here in Toronto) The trouble is that during peak hours, I'm lucky to get 1/4 of the advertised speed, though I am usually able to manage at least a 65kb/s download from major Tucows mirrors. I've had several outages that have lasted beyond 24 hours ... well ... to be completely honest, I wasn't completely out. My service was simply slower than dial-up. (12kbit down and 20 up for over a week from several speed tests) I'm currently in an upward swing with my service resembling that of "good" cable internet, though I'm still VERY unhappy about the speed swings that occur through "peak" hours. From 4pm until 2am it can be down right slow. It certainly isn't the advertised 3000kbit speed ... through the day I'm lucky to test at 800kbit ... with real world transfer speeds of no more than 65kb/s. Is this worth $50 / month? At least with Bell (Sympatico HSE), which I subscribed to in my last city of residence, I 95% of the time enjoyed 900kbit speed ... and I typically got my maximum download speed of about 110kb/s from sites like Tucows, at all times of the day!

As I said at first ... with Roger's, its all about peaks and valleys ... if you use it when nobody else does, I suppose its likely worth it ... for "normal" people, I'm not so sure.

For the record, my best and worst speeds tested were :

2500kbit DOWN / 385kbit UP
12kbit DOWN / 20kbit UP

I'd also like to state for the record that I only got that top speed ONCE and the lower speed was sustained for over 8 days on all attempts to run a speed test ... when they would even complete. I typically test at about 1000kbit DOWN / 350kbit UP ... just ran a test a short while ago and that was the result ... though it is 2:45am and I would have expected a result closer to 2000kbit in the downstream!

member for 12.9 years, 1941 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by HardWired See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "It works at advertised speed all the time"
Bad "Too restrictive upload speed and ridiculous caps"
Overall "Best ISP when there's absolutely no other available choice."

I first tried ADSL but was too far from the DSLAM to get a decent connection. It was extremely painful attempting to order Rogers. The 'deals' advertised on the web page aren't available on the phone or at the stores; it's like you're talking to 3 separate companies. They try to trick you into a long term contract even if you insist that you're not interested. In my experience they are the worst company to deal with their sales / billing department.

That said, the cable connection was installed in a jiffy with absolutely no problems since.

Comments:

Review by CatsDogs See Profile

• Location: Ajax,ON
Good "fairly good connectivity without dropouts"
Bad "service is poor"
Overall "is ok for what they offer"

Rogers. is essentially a monopoly and it costs too much for what they give you. The connectivity is good but service is rotten when there is something wrong with the cable modem. Tech Support isn't too bad but I have nothing to compare it to so I really don't know how good or bad it is.

member for 5 years, 0 visits, last login: 5 years ago

Comments:

Review by mcreskilller See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "it was fast"
Bad "dns server highly unrelible switched to open dns, customer support was insanly bad and CAPS"
Overall "avoid rogers like the plague if you can switch to teksavvy the customer support is amazing the dns serers are amazing i love it"

Just save your self some time dont go with rogers the caps are horrible the speeds are good when the internet works but teksavvy is soo much better i called the customer support and after 3 rings i spoke to a human not a robot and best of all the 200gb cap on a 30 dollor plan here is teksavvys website »www.teksavvy.com just go there and sign up rogers also was really bad at it randomly throatling torrents and such (i get linux distros via torrents) i legaly torrent and my speed was max at 100kb/s yet i had a 10mb connection and i mean the speeds were around 10kb/s when i normaly download at 1mb/s which when my friend downloading the same thing was getting nearly 400 says something when teh only diffrence is the isp we even shared some seeds and also ping times were highly random my pings would spike to 200-500 randomly and cause me to lag to hell in video games, the bad experience for me was when the level 1 techsupport called me an idiot and saying the issue is in my house when i knew for a fact it was on there end and even when he found out it was on his end he still didn't say sorry and also the caps, i am currently on teksavvy and im am LOVING IT just switch if you can and if you can't just get rogers but what evver you do dont download! them caps are a killer

Comments:

Review by generalaj01 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Consistant high speeds"
Bad "High cost, Traffic shapping, bandwidth caps"
Overall "High cost, Good speeds only for for non torrenters"

·TekSavvy DSL
I'm on Extreeme package on rental modem, bundeled with cable to save $3/month.

Tech support was better then bell, but over all not very good.

Comments:

Review by rogersb See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "more reliable than it once was, generally good speed (but I pay for that)"
Bad "Store personnel will thoroughly screw up your order if you let them"
Overall "Once installed is pretty good but a lot of problems with billing etc."

10 Down, one up. Usually OK but sometimes slower than that. Internet service is fine in general.

On the other hand, HD TV was where most of my problems arose. I bought a HD TV and returned my (rented) SD PVR to the store and bought a HD PVR. At the same time I added HD channel package. Should have deleted ~$20/month and added ~$9 for a net reduction of $11 per month. Instead, they cancelled all of my services and re-instituted them individually (scrapping all of my bundle discounts in the process)and my bill went up by $40 month. It has taken me an estimated 14 hours of work and telephone dicusssion to get this straightened out properly. Once I spoke to knowledgeable people the experience was acceptable but it should never have happened and I should have been given a year's free cable TV for my time wasted