Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by baracus2k7 See Profile

Good "none"
Bad "extremely slow speed for the money"
Overall "If you want hi-speed service get DSL"

I've had rogers for almost a year now...and im sick of it....i have the so called hi-speed lite....since $45 for regular cable is too much for me.....the speed is terible...now it costs $30/mth for 128k down and 64k up....for $30 you can get 1MB dsl and just buy your own modem....soon they will do everything that sympatico does......sympatico is 1mb and rogers is 1.5.....eventually it will drop to 1mb......sympatico has a 5gb limit.....rogers will as well this sumer and like 2gb for lite....this is bs....eventually rogers will get replaced....speeds in downtown are like 500k sometimes....thats 33% of what it should be....sometimes....its unbearable....at my friends house he has regular cable....sometimes...it downloads at 56k speeds...im not joking....thats how slow it is.....once it was so damn bad we couldnt even use it at all....like less than 1k downloads.....im sick and tired of this

member for 11.8 years, 24 visits, last login: 11.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by Exit See Profile

• Location: Canada

Why can't I delete this..........I don't use this freakin ISP anymore

member for 13.5 years, 5647 visits, last login: 178 days ago

Comments:

Review by shudwein See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Better Then Conventional Dial-up..."
Bad "Slow if you live in an area with others using cable"
Overall "Stinks for me, good if not much peopel using it in your area"

Well, i've been using Rogers@Home for about over a year now(since february of 2000). Well, reading all of these reviews makes me sad. Some of you guys get awesome speeds, and i wish i could get that... I have never uploaded anything over the speed of 15kb's a sec, never have downloaded anything above 300kb's a sec(only once i've downloaded at this speed, with Dap, like in first week of getting cable), and now it seems to be getting slower and slower... Maybe it's because i live in an area with tons of other people using cable, maybe they capped my modem... I would say i was fine with my cable until i read some of these reviews and was damn angry!

Comments:

Review by sk0vagus See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "always connected (now), tech support is relitively friendly, good pings to most servers"
Bad "bad pings to other servers, speed cut in half, they tell me "anything under 200ms ping is acceptable""
Overall "if the pings were consistantly good to all servers, i would have no problem with rogers"

Initially it took shaw about 2 weeks to install my cable, there were no techs in my area, so they had to make a "special trip" just to install it (this was 3 years ago though, so that is very old news).

i use my connection mostly for gaming, and have been using to 40-60 pings throughout most of north-eastern US and canada for the whole 3 years i've had shaw/rogers. for the last 3 months however my ping times are over 100 to about half the servers, including the one or two "regular" servers i would be playing at. this constitutes over 90% of the time i would be playing, and gaming is the main reason i even have broadband.

this is where the problem exists: (just the problem hop is shown, all hops before it ping the same and all hops after it ping gradually higher, as any trace would look like)

NJ destination:

8 30 ms 29 ms 30 ms gw02.wlfdle.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.80
.149]
9 108 ms 107 ms 107 ms dcr1-so-3-1-0.NewYork.cw.net [206.24.207.85]
10 110 ms 113 ms 113 ms dcr2-loopback.Chicago.cw.net [208.172.2.100]
11 113 ms 113 ms 113 ms bpr1-so-0-0-0.ChicagoEquinix.cw.net [208.175.10.
238]
12 115 ms 113 ms 113 ms internap.ChicagoEquinix.cw.net [208.174.226.26
13 114 ms 114 ms 113 ms border5.ge3-1-bbnet1.chg.pnap.net [64.94.32.10
14 132 ms 133 ms 116 ms spk-1-chi.dsl-isp.net [64.94.35.193]
15 113 ms 113 ms 113 ms chi1.games.speakeasy.net [64.81.159.135]
Trace complete.

NYC destination: (this one drops back down in ping for some reason)
8 31 ms 29 ms 30 ms gw02.wlfdle.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.80
.145]
9 112 ms 108 ms 108 ms dcr1-so-3-1-0.NewYork.cw.net [206.24.207.85]
10 109 ms 107 ms 107 ms agr1-so-4-0-0.NewYork.cw.net [206.24.207.66]
11 109 ms 113 ms 107 ms iar2-loopback.NewYork.cw.net [206.24.194.24]
12 43 ms 42 ms 41 ms internap.NewYork.cw.net [208.173.135.66]
13 39 ms 41 ms 41 ms border28.ge4-1-bbnet2.nyc.pnap.net [209.191.128.
161]
14 51 ms 49 ms 49 ms spk-1-nyc.dsl-isp.net [209.191.132.33]
15 38 ms 43 ms 41 ms nyc1.games.speakeasy.net [216.254.95.135]

so now i'm switching to bell sympatico's ultra high speed DSL to see what that's like.

For most people, my current rogers connect would be reasonable, and i never had any major complaints about it until these ping times jumped up over 100.

Comments:

Review by gellehsak See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "cant think of any"
Bad "massive packet loss, interupts, slowdowns, cable cap dl/ul speed cut in half, lieing techs... list goes on"
Overall "horrible and nothing to do about it"

at first, when i first got cable it was great. everything loaded up to my standards, the latency was steady, and i got just about no ploss at all times. then as time passes by, i notice how my cable likes to go out quite a bit on its own.... i figured it must be the @home techies just doin stuff to the system, and it would be up soon (which it usually was). more time goes by, and this is where the trouble starts. before, i could dl 300kb/s. now its around 125-140kb/s. my upload decreased from 45kb/s to 15kb/s too. i figured they must have decreased the caps, since it would never go above those numbers. this made me mad, because i was never notified of this at any time. the next thing that really bothers me is how much packet loss i get now. i can barely play any FPS games online, because i just chop up and cant really move. i decided to ask some fellow gamers with @home and see what their takes were on this. apparently they were all getting the same/similar problems, where the packetloss would just lag their game beyond belief. i got to talk to another gamer again, and he was fine. apparently, he was put on some network with a new system integrated using fibre optics. this only applies to certain areas. what pisses me off about THIS is that they only put a select few customers on this system, for the same price, while leaving others out to lag. basically, its a crap isp and if i could id change. but theres nothing to change to ;(

Comments:

Review by TigerWoLF5 See Profile

• Location: G1Q 1Q9
Good "Availability Throughout All Of Toronto"
Bad "Down\Up = BAD - Tech Support = BAD - DHCP problems"
Overall "Not worth the money, nor the time"

Rogers@Home used to be great until one day they started capping us from 2500/512 to 1500/190 (approx). The price remained the same, the serviced is crappy and i've been looking for isp i could switch to... Sympatico isnt good, cogeco not available, so its rogers or back to dial-up. Hopefully they'll do something about the speed etc.. On their webpage, before they started capping us, speeds would be posted beside the monthly cost. Now, all they post there is that its a great service for 40$CND. I called their TechSupport so many times to complain that i know their damn number by heart and i've been thinking in putting it into speed dial damnit... When I noticed the dramatic speed drops, I called and they made me do an "image" test and said everything was alright. I asked them if they knew anything about rogers capping their users they said no but somehow, I knew about it. Were they lying or are the people working there incompetent? Right now I'm at my sister's and she's got Videotron cable. Great download bad upload. 3000 down\128 up. Anyway its better than having a crap upload and download.

Comments:

Review by Ir0nLung See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "decent pings on net games"
Bad "reduced speed 1/2 an price went up"
Overall "was good, but just not worth it anymore"

Nothing much to say, back with Shaw it was amazing for the money and the more customers it got the service and speed went down the drain... Went from 10/1 to 3/300 and now to 1.5/190. The only thing left to do is put in BW caps, and its BYE-BYE rogers!! Still better then Sympatico, cant argue that...

member for 12.3 years, 40 visits, last login: 11.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by waxmuseum See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "i sit in frount of this box less"
Bad "its never online"
Overall "i would never sign up with them again"

first off i have the digital cable package with the cable internet included thats why it is so cheep ..

i just ordered rogers at the beginning of the month since then i have had nothing but problems

first off the guy that installed my line and modem didnt actually check if the modem worked..i got a dud none the less.

so i waited 4 days for them to send a guy with a new modem that modem works...

now since that last guy came her i have been booted off about every 20 minutes...and from 7-11pm, midnight - 11am and all threw the day.

when i have called the service people they told me that it was because the router had a problem, there is to much voltage going threw there lines, its the weather, its my computer, its my modem....its never ending the excuses they make up.

so anyway i was suposed to have a service guy come checkmy lines 3 days ago ..he never showed up after i sat around for 3 hrs waiting for him ....now they want to send another guy around in 3 days.

point blank im sick to living hell of rogers...i was on sympatico befor and will probably go back even withthere rediculous caps.

member for 12.4 years, 23 visits, last login: 12.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by Kabdel See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Decent speeds, decent price, unlimited"
Bad "Foolish tech support, speeds can be inconsistent, bit caps are coming, speeds have just been cut in half with price increase"
Overall "If its between rogers and bell, go for rogers, if you have other options go for those."

I got Rogers in september 2001 with some promotional deal for the first 6 months. The installation took 10 minutes , i recieved a terayon terapro modem and i was surfing in no time... The speeds were amazing. I was always getting over 2000 kbps/385 down at any time of the day... Then in December all of a sudden my download speed were cut in half... What ever i did, and whatever time it was, i couldn't get over 1200/385 kbps... The stupid person that i was, i assumed it was my router causing problems. I tried everything. I reinstalled my operating system, i played around with the settings, i tried tweaking my internet connection, pretty much everything... So these speeds went on till about April... Where i started wondering what the hell was going on again... So i unplugged my modem, took the wires out, and put the wires back in... My speeds jumped to 2500 kbps for about 5 minutes, and then they leveled off at 1200 kbps... So then i thought my modem was broken, or my router was the problem... For this month i started getting speeds of around 600 kbps... So i e-mailed rogers and sent them a whole bunch of speed tests, line quality test, traces etc... Rogers said they would send someone to fix my problem... The guy checked my levels on my modem and found they were very bad. He said the problem was the green box in front of my house, and said a maintence crew would come by and fix the problem in 2 days. 2 days go by, a week goes by, no maintence crew. I call rogers, and they tell me, there is no maintence crew coming and no work is planned, and only a guy will come by to bury a wire that the technician put before. The guy hasn't come by for the wire and its been months... Then my upload gets capped at 185 kbps, but my download remained the same at 1200 kbps... I talked to some people in my area, and they said they had the same problem... Those f*****s at rogers capped our downloads in december@ 1500kbps, and they made me go through all this s***, instead of just telling me i was capped. So anyways now, i ve just came to conclusion that rogers are crooks and completely dishonest, and if they implement bit-caps, along side there new speed cap, and 5 dollar increase, i will cancel.

Sorry for the rant... Overall I didn't have many disconnection problems, maybe only once of twice for a few hours... The download speeds nowadays are always between 900 kbps and 1250 kbps and the upload speed is around 170-185 kbps.... Its a decent speed, but you can easily get a more reliable and faster dsl service for the same price.... Like i said, if rogers implements a 5 gb bit cap, i am getting the hell out...

member for 12.7 years, 205 visits, last login: 9.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by fredsnothere See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Fast"
Bad "out of service for at least 2 days a month"
Overall "The fastest out there but they have a monopoly"

I use both Sympatico HSE and Rogers. Sympatico is not as fast as Rogers but in the 1 1/2 years that I've had the service it has never been down and the speeds are always consistant. In the past 20 days with Rogers, I've lost my connection for 4 days. Rogers definately has the speed but the reliability has a lot to be desired. Their tech support people are rude. It usually only 1 out of 4 technicians you get actually helps you and doesn't give you attitude. I'm going to get rid of one of the services so I think its going to be Rogers because of the lack of reliability, poor tech support, and also because they charge me an extra $10/month because I'm not a cable TV subscriber.

member for 12.6 years, 134 visits, last login: 9.6 years ago