Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by badandy See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Fast and consistant"
Bad "Price skyrockets as soon as contract expires. Low data caps."
Overall "Enticing prices at first, but they nickel and dime you in the end"

No complaints about the service. Great speeds, no connection drop-outs...

The major issue I have with rogers is the forced contracts. I had a 1 yr contract @ about 40 a month... fair enough price for what we got. One month my bill went way up and when I called in they said they could give me a better price if I renewed for another year. Not a fan of the way they try and force customer loyalty rather than earning it.

Comments:

Review by Plutoburn See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "High speed"
Bad "low bandwidth allowance, traffic throttling which negates the speed"
Overall "overpriced for what it is"

Used Rogers Cable internet for 10+ years now. Was the only game in town so never thought really hard about comparing to other ISP. Recently friend mentioned TekSavvy, I looked at the service/price and was shocked how much cheaper the competition is. I still thought of staying with Rogers because of better choice bundle deal. However, the final straw was finally pinning down the problem of internet randomly disconnecting due to bittorrent traffic (just DLing).

I might have stay with Rogers if they can improve these few things:

1. Traffic throttling on p2p
2. Higher monthly usage cap
3. Less wait on the tech support, and staff that speaks better English.

Comments:

Review by stickbear See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "resales"
Bad "the 1st 2 weeks have been plagued with issues."
Overall "the SMC modem is a pile of crap."

To put it bluntly, I'm strongly considering switching with the amout of issues I've had with this provider.

Comments:

Review by Asgorath See Profile

• Location: Newmarket,ON
Good "Fast, Reliable"
Bad "Price, Caps"
Overall "Better than DSL, but check your 3rd party options first."

Package: Rogers Extreme*

I have been on Rogers for 2 years now. I used to live in dial-up country so that may colour my judgement, but the speed has been wonderful (compared to other offerings in my area anyways). When you look at other countries though it's pretty sad what Rogers thinks is acceptable speeds.

My connection has only gone down once so far, and it was back by the next day. I'm very happy with the reliability.

That's where my happiness ends though. Rogers is far too expensive and the cap is way too low. If you don't watch your usage like a hawk you can be hit with some pretty hefty overages. I've had a few months that ended up costing me an extra $50. I've barely touched my Netflix account because of the cap.

Their website is also terrible. It's incredibly slow, assuming you can get it to work at all. It seems to be down more than it's up. And don't even bother trying to use it late at night. Why they need 6 hours of maintenance every single night is beyond me.

My last issue came up when I decided to leave Rogers for Teksavvy. They required 30 days notice even though I wasn't on a contract. They also rejected my transfer at first, claiming that Teksavvy wasn't available. It was of course, they just didn't want to see me go I guess. After talking to Teksavvy my transfer was resubmitted and finally accepted.

* My Extreme package was grandfathered when they dropped the cap, so I still have 95gb. But my speed is still the old 10 mbps instead of 15. I haven't complained because I'm afraid they would take away my cap, which is more important to me.

Comments:

Review by HoserMcMoose See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Fast connection"
Bad "Ridiculously low data caps. Spammy DNS server. Messed up the install address. Regular outages"
Overall "Will be switching to another provider soon"

I recently moved in to a new condo and Rogers offered a 3-months "free" deal with no contract, so I figured I'd give them a try.

Service was to be installed a few days after I moved in. Technician arrived on-time and all set to go, except that it was setup with the wrong apartment number in the address (despite the fact that I had e-mailed this address in). No problem I figured, that should be easy to change, right?

Not so fast... Because the technician was from a contracted company they could not change the address, nor can Rogers change an address. They have to cancel the service and setup a whole new account. Ok, fine, an hour spent on the phone, new contract is setup.

Only problem is that I'm now told I have a 1-year contract with penalties if I disconnect early. Bait and switch much? I'll be fighting this one when I cancel my service in the near future.

As for the Internet service itself, it is fast, I'll give them that. However the service hasn't been very reliable, going off numerous times in the month and a half since it was installed.

More worrying is that their DNS servers re-direct you to a Rogers search site if they don't recognize the IP address you look up, which breaks my work VPN. I was able to get around this by using Google's DNS servers instead.

Biggest problem though are the ridiculously low data caps. I'm on their "Extreme" service for which the data cap is 60GB per month with $2/GB overage charges. Several other ISPs in town offer unlimited service for the same or cheaper.

Final verdict: Will be dumping Rogers once my 3-month trial is up and will probably need to fight to not pay early termination fees, despite the fact that I signed a written contract saying that I wouldn't. Wish me luck on that one!

Comments:

Review by Aqualung See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Reliable, easy to negotiate and get 30% off."
Bad "Still expensive even after 30% discount, ridiculously low usage caps."
Overall "Caps make it unusable for lots of gaming and streaming."

Rogers offers a relatively reliable service in their highest service. It's 50/2 as advertised at all times and there are no issues with that at all. Additionally, anyone who is on Rogers should call them up, make a note to cancel the account in 30 days and wait for the mail to come with an offer to get 30% off for continuing with them. This is the worst case as more often than not they will give you 30% off all their services for staying with them immediately on the phone.

BUT

For me, speed was not necessary and I always compared their service with the 15/1 available from Teksavvy. Although lower speed, the bandwidth was 300gb or unlimited which allows me to do the gaming, netflix streaming and other downloading that I actually need to do every month. The ridiculous 175gb cap that came with the 50/2 service from Rogers would get used up very easily with downloading new high quality games (which can be up to ~15gb/game) or watching HD movies which are typically ~5gb/movie. Having more than one person doing this in the same household means that the 175gb cap would be used up and we would go over every single month.

This is my biggest issue with Rogers and has made their services simply not worth it from my perspective.

Cancelling was quite an ordeal as well. I was transferred 4 times to different people who all asked me why I wanted to cancel. When I told them it was because of the bandwith caps, I was met with rude responses all around and they all told me I should change my usage habits. No thanks Rogers, I won't make everyone in my household change their habits so I can continue to pay for your overpriced services when there are other alternatives.

Comments:

Review by TomWaits See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Zippo"
Bad "All of it"
Overall "Rogers has gone SOUR GRAPES"

Well the game here in Toronto has changed with Rogers High speed. Last fall/winter(2010) this cable internet connection turned into sour grapes. I thought it was the other people in the house downloading heavy. So I said to hell with it and upgraded to the Rogers "Ultimate" high speed plan. Even after the upgrade, the service has continued to decline in performance. We're even having difficulty getting a connection these past few weeks! DNS problems and very hard to run a "SlingBox" and remote camera gear. I'm living right in the downtown city core and I can't get any love out of Rogers no more.

Something is going on. Right now Rogers is a turd!

member for 12.3 years, 165 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by Darkfly See Profile

• Location: Oshawa,ON
Good "The connection is stable."
Bad "Over priced, caps are getting lower. Trolling has to stop."
Overall "Its ok for basic internet usage, anything more and your paying alot more then you think."

I've been with Rogers for almost 5 years. I've been not always happy with them.

My cap over the years have dropped from 100, to 95, now to 80GB and i've been on the same package as I've been on.

Its nice I have 15mbits but whats the point of 80GB?

I can't host maps online for games. They cap my upload at just under 5kb/s after 5 minutes for maps that are like 2-8mb. I have to change ports all the time to get my 120kb/s again, but it lasts again only 5 minutes or so. I've called in about it, they say games use P2P networks and we caps them. I get better speeds when I host private games using an encrypted tunnel to my friends. But I can't really go "online" to the world using that.

I've decided I've tried with the overcharges. Its impossible to keep under 80GB a month. That's less then 3GB a day. I average at about 4-6GB a day and thats just my basic usage with a family of 4.

So I switched to a 3rd party reseller (teksavvy) and we'll see how this works out. I'll probably be happier and its gonna be a lot cheaper (almost $45 cheaper) for more (300GB cap with the plan I picked).

Comments:

Review by RagingBull See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Solid connection"
Bad "pretty much everything else"

The connection is definitely great, hardly any downtime

i ordered Extreme

the installation process was slightly delayed, but it was installed

got tempted by the sales mans 30% off deal, ended up stuck with a internet having 95gb cap for 12 months, went over pretty much every month and paid quite a lot of money.

Calling their techsupport/using live support is a completely pain in the ass, calling usually takes 30minutes to 2hour of wait time, that doesnt include the numerous of times they put you on hold while transferring you from one department to another then back because someone made a mistake, reps are usually pretty rude as well, i was called rude when i tried to cancel my internet(after i said this is ridiculous because rogers made me pay 2 extra month of internet when i cancelled)

Bitorrent are sometimes throttled to very low speeds(under 20kb)

if you want a connection thats pretty stable, and you have no trouble paying about double the monthly price, then this is the internet for you, just keep in mind that the customer support is absolutely horrible.

member for 3.5 years, 178 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by conjor See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Next day installation."
Bad "Horrible download/upload speeds; Rediculus ping and jitter; Low bandwidth caps; Unusable during peak hours."
Overall "Do not, I repeat, do not get residential internet services from Rogers. I have had better service from a WiMAX provider."

High-speed Express Package (10/512) @ $50.99 + taxes

The installation of my connection went very smooth apart from a small mix-up with the installation date and time, hence the non-perfect score given for that category. They rescheduled for the very next day and the installation was professional and quick.

The service, however, is a completely different bag of hammers. Firstly, Rogers tends to oversubscribe high-density population areas. This creates massive congestion of their network come peak hours. I could be using the net in the morning and get speeds exactly as advertised, but come 5-6 PM I would be lucky to get 1/10th of the advertised speeds and ping response times, even to the first hop, would be all over the place (jitter in the hundreds of milliseconds).

I am not talking about a minor slowdown here. You will notice a HUGE slowdown during peak hours. It is almost as if come peak hours someone flips a switch and all of the sudden you are back on dial-up.

In essence, their services are unusable during peak hours for anything other than checking email. And even then, you can expect to be sitting waiting for your pages to load.

On top of the horrid congestion of their network, Rogers employs overly aggressive and broken ITMP and DPI systems. These systems WILL slow your connection down to a crawl (if the congestion in the network hasn't already) when they see you downloading or uploading anything they deem to be "P2P Traffic". The problem is, these system are so off-beat that they flag simple things like World of Warcraft traffic and Skype traffic as P2P and hence throttle your entire connection.

Thinking of using Netflix? Think again! Your download and upload speeds will make you cry when you see a buffering screen more often then you see the actual film. Not to mention the ludicrous overage charges you face if you go over the pitiful monthly data caps.

Thinking of gaming? Think again! Rogers ITMP systems flag the traffic associated with most popular games, like World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, Rift, and Heros of Newerth as P2P traffic. Good luck having a ping below 500ms at any time during the day.

Rogers has been hit with several formal complaints to the CRTC about their internet services, and I can see several more coming before Rogers does anything about the issues presented in them.

The bottom line: They charge way to much for what you get. Their services are completely unusable during peak hours. I can say with an absolute certainty that you do NOT want to get residential internet services from this company. Do NOT give this company your money.