Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by ExpFist See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Not Bell"
Bad "Metering, Unreasonable UBB over charging, Traffic shaping, DNS manipulation, Ping issues"
Overall "Avoid unless your only alternative is Bell. Then, well, better than dial-up I guess"

I've had Rogers for 15 years, and it's been getting worse and worse over time. Traffic shaping started with Torrents, but now shapes pretty much everything you do on the Internet. Traffic shaping fail-overs caused frequent disconnects of all services, and would kick you out of Video games. Rebooting the modem fixes this issue temporarily, but it's annoying having Rogers manipulate your Internet. Ping times have become worse overtime. The only plus is you don't have long outages over hour long periods like you used to originally with the service. If you plan to adopt new internet services like high definition video, prepare to pay for overages.

I can't comment on a lot of the pre-sale information since I was one of their first subscribers in the mid 90's. Their technical support seems like it is far better than Bell however, much like their services (including overage fees), and if you have speed issues due to a bad connection, they'll send someone over for free to diagnose/fix it.

Comments:

Review by Trencher See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Fast most of the time, haven't lost it for more then an hour,"
Bad "Throttling, UBB, Customer Service, Roger's itself"
Overall "If you have NO other options, go with Rogers... a year ago I enjoyed their internet but they found many ways to make me not!"

They were great for awhile but in the last year they raised the UBB, throttled torrents and just started offering worse and worse service... its a shame really. Way to $$$$ it up Rogers

Comments:

Review by cupavi See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Good Initial Speed"
Bad "Cost, Throtling, Throtling, Throtling and traffic shaping, bad Modem requirement"
Overall "Home users might be ok, heavy users beware! Heavy Traffic Shaping!!"

Initial honeymoon period was great. Full torrent speeds and no throtles. Shortly after that they started shaping traffic and my wonderfull speeds went down the toilet. Max dl speed now is 200k if lucky and 5k up. Now if i need to dl a patch for game or os its blazing fast.

Just to add if you are using anything related to torrents it will more or less shut down and make any other internet activity unusable

The modem that they force you to use is mediocre at best and if you read the numerous posts you will find that a lot of people have issues with it.

Tech Support is generally ok and speedy, but they cant really resolve things that are imposed on everyone, like throtling and shaping.

Is it better than some of the other major isps? Probably mostly reliable.

Do we have a lot of choice in the matter? Not really since any reseller will feel the same pains.

Comments:

Review by EastYorkGuy See Profile

• Location: East York,ON
Good "They are not Bell."
Bad "They are Rogers."
Overall "The lesser of two evils."

·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy TekTalk
They have the potential to be a great ISP, given the cable infrastructure that they hang off Bell poles and the really good customer support (Canadian!) and the millions of service vans they have in GTA, and elsewhere. However, being a part of Rogers Communications means that it's run by rich people completely out of touch with the common JOE, like myself, and are determined to squeeze every penny out of us, be it by overcharging for usage on the internet, subtly coercing you to subscribe to Cable TV by messing with live Hockey streaming or tv shows (CTV, CBC and Global all seem to have streaming problems at times..?) and finally by throttling your legal p2p data transferring. All we really have left is the $50 /mo. maximum overcharge fee for GB's over the limit! I'm sure it won't be long before that's gone in favor of so-called 'gigabyte insurance' or prepayment of gigabytes. In the end, I'm going to have to end my seeding (of my rarest stuff!) and the community will suffer. Teddy never would have let this happen! I PRAY FOR AMERICAN ISP COMPANIES TO GIVE US AMERICAN INTERNET HERE IN TORONTO. GOD BLESS AMERICA. WE SURF IN PEACE. PLEASE TAKE OUR DOLLARETTES AND FREE US FROM BLUE AND RED. America, are you listening? Dammit, they can't hear me!

A Proud Canadian.

Comments:

Review by cliffz0rz See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Surfing speed is fine."
Bad "Throttling, maximum overage fees, terrible modem."
Overall "Honestly? Avoid. I'm only with them because I literally had no other choice."

Once Teksavvy cable is available here in Ottawa, I'm switching. Can't stand Rogers and really wish I had another option. 2 meg DSL is the only alternative at my home. Since I have 2 roommates, we can't realistically share a 2 meg connection...

Suppose I should mention that I'm a former contracted employee of Rogers (from many years ago). Perhaps seeing how they run the business from the inside has ruined my image of them, but whatever. They're out for a buck (or ten, if they can get away with it) and nothing will change them except government regulation (if that).

Comments:

Review by lifeinthewoods See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Good Pings, Always up"
Bad "Caps, Caps, Caps"
Overall "I will be moving to an ISP that does not sell other media, ASAP"

I've used Rogers "Hi-Speed Extreme" for ~5 years now.

The connection is good, always up and low pings.

Unfortunately, the caps are too restrictive and the pricing is always going up (more money for less service)

I do not consider myself a heavy down loader. Which is to say, that I enjoy 3 or 4 movies a month and some games through Steam. That is enough to push through my cap and be charged $1.50 per GB. I feel that $71.18 a month is more then enough money to be allowed to connect to the internet for my modest usage.

The worst part I find is the obnoxious banner they insert into any browser that tells me that I've gone over and will be charged. There was no banner telling me I was close, just one that says I owe them even more money.

I will be switching to either tech savvy or montreal dsl when it's available at the end of Feb.

Comments:

Review by BigSensFan See Profile

• Location: Whitby,ON
Good "Reliable Service & good speeds"
Bad "Throttled and Expensive"
Overall "There are cheaper alternatives out there, with better pricing"

Have this service bundled with phone and cell..get a 20% discount because of this. If I didn't I would find a cheaper alternative

member for 11.3 years, 6643 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mulambo187 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Speed Test results"
Bad "I get dialup speeds on P2P, monthly fees from 12 month agreement are not in line with actual monthly cost."
Overall "Stay away, Rogers is far too cavalier with their customers."

I have been betrayed by helpful CSR who signed me up for 12 months. Taunted by the next CSR and threatened with an extortionate cancellation fee when I wanted to cancel after being victim to a bait and switched 12 month agreement.

Rogers is half decent for surfing the web and such, but nothing special, compared to the alternatives out there. Gaming latency is OK, but P2P file transfers are absolutely horrible. I am not new to this, and I know it is rogers tampering with my connections. The only reason I came to Rogers in the first place was because I was offered a very sweet price, too bad it turned out to be their most basic basic plan after I got the bill, and not what was offered over the phone to me. (10mbps connection, 95GB cap, ended up with 3mbps/25GB cap).

It's averaging $150 a month for Phone/TV/Internet. This company is completely ripping me off. If your on this site, I urge you to look anywhere else before settling with Rogers, or Bell for that matter. Good Luck, and BEWARE!!!

Comments:

Review by a_large_rock See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "Email seems to be reliable; connection is almost always on."
Bad "Horrible tech support, slow speeds, speed throttling, bandwidth cap, clost"
Overall "Expensive, VERY slow 4pm to midnight; Phone support is a joke"

·Start Communicat..
Web site is down often, can't login. Tech Support staff bounce you around from person to person without trying to address issues/problems. Tech Support seem to be confused; each staff member contradicts the previous one. Email seems to be reliable; connection is on, but throttled. The service isn’t as fast as advertised. P2P/Bittorent is throttled even though BitTorrent is one of the advertised uses of the service. Throttling disconnects applications such as World of Warcraft. Throttles downloads while saying they do not. The service has a very small bandwidth cap, and planned (implemented) fees for going over cap are insanely high. ISP’s site for monitoring bandwidth usage rarely works.

Comments:

Review by naturr See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Generally works"
Bad "Never at the speed billed, low cap rates, horrible service, extra charges"
Overall "Terrible thankfully their is Teksavvy"

I have never met a person that likes Rogers or has a nice thing to say about them and for good reason. Finally the Duopoly has been broken and TekkSavvy and other companies can offer Cable and DSL to customers and provide real service. I swapped two weeks ago as soon as I found out and glad I did. Cheaper, faster and better.