Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by chipface See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "it works"
Bad "low caps, exhorbant overage fees, throttling, dns redirects"
Overall "look elsewhere if you have the choice"

·TekSavvy Cable
Been using Robbers for over 10 years. Had my own account for about 7. I remember when I first got it, it was $45(including modem rental I believe). Now it's almost $60, with no improvements in service. I'd say it's declined if anything.

Connection:

It's reliable for the most part. Except when it comes to torrents. A torrent can have all the seeds in the world and it'll still be slow. At least their SMC gateway did its job.

Bandwidth:

Before I didn't think much of their overage charges, $1/gb or no more than $25. Whatever, I thought it was decent. Sometime in 2010 they doubled their overage charges without any notice. Unfortunately I found out the hard way one month when my bill was double. Ever since then I've been wanting to go elsewhere. And 60gb a month? That's not much to play with at all.

Another major gripe of mine is the DNS redirects. I have an extremely bad habit of mistyping URLs so I get that redirect all the time. Normally you'd just fix whatever you mistyped but nope, gotta do it all over again.

Once I found out I could get Teksavvy in my area, I called to cancel my account(stupid 30 days). Right away they guessed bandwidth was my reason(well one of them really). They offered me 30% off for six months(what a joke). They asked if there was anything they could do to get my to change my mind and when I said no they didn't press it further. But to be the douchebags they are, they limited what I can do on their website because I cancelled. I can't even pay my final bill online. Also, about a week before my disconnect date(I switched over 10 days before disconnection), they send me a letter in the mail about better managing my monthly usage, what a joke.

Honestly, you should only go with Robbers if another ISP such as Teksavvy or Acanac isn't available in your area.

member for 3.3 years, 490 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by UltraSound See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "free technician repair, free moving charges"
Bad "low cap, high price, no referral policy"
Overall "Finally broke the Rogers chains"

I am technically savvy but quite easy on Internet usage. With Rogers since 10+ years. Currently having Fiber60, I am Ok with the speed, never bothered to measure SpeedTest. I noticed sometimes there are connection issues or slowdown but these were either rare or bearable for me. What I can't stand is the 120GB cap. Once or twice a year I go past the cap and it was always a pain to track the bill, calling Customer Service to get the credit back. Sometimes I forgot and past 6 months, it's impossible to claim a credit.

What annoyed me is that the monthly price is already high. When my usage is way below the cap, Rogers doesn't allow me to capitalize the cap savings. As soon as I cross the 120G cap, there is merciless and exorbitant overage charges. I hung on with Rogers for so long because I could bargain a discount. But the discount is becoming thinner and thinner. Recently the best I could get is a $10 discount out of the $70 monthly.

The last drop was an overage charge in spite of my previous 10 months were all around 80% of the cap. As of now, October 2014, Start and TekSavvy offer higher cap, lower price. In particular the "30 Mbps Down, 5 Mbps Up" at $45/month. In spite of half the speed of Rogers Fiber60, which I don't mind. It is significantly cheaper than Rogers. Start even gives a cap of 200GB which I am sure I will never be bothered again by those stupid overage charges.

As a DOCCIS 3 modem is now affordable $77 at Canada Computers. Both Start Communications and TekSavvy waive the installation fees if we come from Rogers cable. I called Rogers and told them clearly I am about to cancel to give them a last chance to match competition prices. Rogers customer retention service seems not to take me seriously. I cancelled on the spot. Will probably go with Start.

In conclusion, I see no reason to stay with Rogers Internet and I hate myself for not having the courage to shop around a few years earlier.

Comments:

Review by ground See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Canadian phone support"
Bad "Very expensive, modem fees, bandwidth caps, slow in the evening"
Overall "Rogers Hi-speed is garbage"

Original Review: November 6, 2013

I go to college full-time and the difference between my school internet and my Rogers connection at home is dramatic. When I get home in the evening I feel like I traveled 30 years back in time and that my internet is 33.6k dial-up all over again. Heck, I even stay in the library late so I can use the school's fast internet to complete all of my assignments and submit them on time, can't rely on Rogers in the evening, which goes up and down as it pleases. Their DNS is a disaster, it just stops resolving hosts all of a sudden and my internet quietly dies. And also don't forget bandwidth caps, which they call "usage allowance" as if we are in a Nazi concentration camp somewhere. I'm so paranoid that I have 2 separate programs monitoring my bandwidth so that I don't go over their pathetic limit. Otherwise their warning messages will be all over my computer. What a joke!

===================================================

UPDATE: October 5, 2014

Well, we cancelled Rogers Hi-Speed Internet in August 2014 because of the overages fees. We had Lite package with 25GB per month and they charged us over $500CAD for overages, which is crazy. Now we don't have internet at all and I have to rely on school internet to submit my assignments. Everybody in my family is scared to order internet from anybody else because of the charges we had from Rogers. I am looking to order another internet, preferably DSL and putting it under my name.

member for 6.7 years, 785 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

kn00tcn
zero-zero

join:2006-04-19
Canada

robbers

well if the package says 25gb, i dont see how anyone can expect not to go over it...

but i thought rogers had a max overage of $50 or something? at the very least i think they had a $35 unlimited option that you can add to any plan

obviously a third party provider will have a fair price so that's the only sane way to go

dsl is a good idea if you're in the right location so you might as well try it (my current dsl is solid 6mbit down for quite a few years, no slowdowns, no packet loss, at most some 2-3am very specific outages a couple times a year when bell works on something... i'm pretty positive my line is on a remote instead of directly to the CO)

Review by DavePC See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Cheaper than TPIAs (for now), Speedboost"
Bad "The Gateway, Transit/Ping Times, Long Term Costs"
Overall "Its Rogers, connection is stable and all but... ping times."

·Start Communicat..
So, since I've moved into student housing, this is the plan I have now.

60/10, 320GB for $51 (after taxes).

Our Rogers Connection is pretty stable and has great download speeds, gateway is complete and utter crap though, switched to bridge mode the day I got it.

As for cons.. our deal expires within 8 months (will switch back to Start by then), and the ping and transit times are 20-60% worse compared to my Start Communications connection.

Sure, the connection is reliable and all, and there is speedboost, and its fast, but to be honest if you are a heavy gamer, ping times are really important.

Perfect for my needs, but the cap isn't too great.

Speaking of the cap, the rogers counting meter is either offline or works, but is around ~2GB off everyday.

Install was standard, installer was kind of lazy though.

member for 1.2 years, 621 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by LSTA See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "As fast as I can get; reliable; price just dropped (for lucky few)"
Bad "It's Rogers. Their site goes offline at 2am; you have to read all the fine print."
Overall "Sign up for 250mbps only; everyone else go to Start.ca -- cheaper & friendly"

I'll note that until two weeks ago, I was paying $142-144 each month. At this point I would only sign up with them for the 250mbps plan at $99/mth with free advanced modem rental. If you can't get that, don't bother, go with Start.ca or another third-party reseller of the prior 150/10 plans.

So yeah, Rogers is Rogers. They're fantastic if you absolutely know what you're doing, keep testing your equipment and reading the specs, and ultimately can prove via tech support that you're not on the right plan via speed tests by ethernet.

My speeds, since last September, have consistently blown past what Rogers advertises. I was getting 220mbps on non-speedtest sites with the 150 plan thanks to SpeedBoost, and I get 327mbps now on the 250/20 plan. 9ms ping, 3ms jitter. Of course, this is over ethernet.

My only problem with Rogers are how you have to keep fighting them to get the best value. I'm certain in 3 months prices will rise again, perhaps no more free modem rental, and the cycle will start again. Rogers has been raising the wholesale rates on TPIAs for the 250 plan, and it's unclear if Rogers modems are compatible with the Rogers network when it comes to TPIAs. I've argued up to the office of the president that they should be compatible, and all I got was "if the TPIA says it's not compatible, we can't make them use it" which is completely backwards.

But like the wireless network, I keep on ending up back at Rogers because they really do offer the best network (at least for Ontario), both 3G/LTE and Cable. That said, I know how to play the game now, after 8 years with Rogers. So I'm on the Manitoba plan with Fido, formerly with Koodo, both month-to-month (FYI: No more 30 days cancel notice now for cellular!!!). And I called to complain about my internet pricing when I finally learned of the new pricing.

Ultimately, if you don't invest the time, Rogers is happy to take your dime... and you'll never get anything of value from them.

Comments:

Review by rrt2008 See Profile

• Location: Keswick,ON
Good "Have had 2 outages in over 6"
Bad "Not competitive. Horrible customer service"
Overall "Teksavy offers the same plan for $15 less per month, their 35/3 plan"

·TekSavvy TekTalk
Had their service for almost 8 years. Connection was good with minimal outages. Got tired of having to drop the C-bomb (cancel) every year to get a decent rate. Switched to Teksavvy and I'm getting higher speeds for less $. Don't use them. Go with a TPIA or go without. Just stay away from Rogers

Comments:

Review by oceros See Profile

• Location: St Thomas,ON
Good "stable/reliable service, keep in mind this is more a rating of my neighborhood "
Bad "inflated overage costs AND super low caps = bad."
Overall "very stable in my neighborhood, way overpriced compared to the competition.. wish I had shopped around before signing 2yr term"

Ordered 25mbps speed package along with TV and cell phone as a bundle. Got a "free" (see: old) HD PVR.

The install process was VERY bumpy. Got installed. Then another tech completed a disconnect order from previous homeowner. Got reinstalled. Got another tech out to repair TV -- ended up needing to replace the HD PVR, TWICE. The first replacement tech had on him was also bad, then the next one actually worked.

The only good thing I can see about the install cluster-eff was that the re-dispatching would happen pretty quickly.

Only one service issue along the way - noticed consistent packet loss for ~2-3 seconds every 2 minutes like clockwork. Being a techie I troubleshot the hell out of it, replaced the modem/router (rogers supplied) and ruled out all my equipment. Every 2 mins all packets would drop for about 3 seconds. Not a real problem for typical browsing but it would make gaming extremely frustrating. Rogers brushed this off completely, and when I gave them the issue on a silver platter they basically laughed me out of a support chat.

Luckily my neighbor then redid their front lawn and in the process cut my coax line. Temp line was run, and guess what.. issue disappeared. Thanks for accidently fixing the problem I wanted fixed Rogers.

Overall, expensive but if you're area infrastructure is solid, it will be very stable and as problem free as the service can get. Just cross your fingers that you do not have to contact customer service for any reason.

member for 1.2 years, 322 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by herglod See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Not reliable at all!!!"
Overall "God save us from them!"

·TekSavvy Cable
I had 3 service interruption in the last 2 months and they were due to the fact the cable line was cut accidentally. It also happened before (previous years).

Normally someone could say this is the fault of the person who cut the cable(...), but the reality is the cable in my street are supposed to be properly buried underground, however Rogers do "temporary" cable repair by hanging the cables in the trees.

This situation is common for many people in my street and I don't understand after more than 2 years why Rogers hasn't repaired things properly.

All my recent service outages mentioned above are a result of improper cable repair and it is really unacceptable.

Also, the reason I also evaluated the "Pre Sales information" to "worst" is because they keep sending me junk mail in my postal mailbox with offers to subscriber to Rogers Cable TV... but I am already with Rogers Cable TV!!! Can you stop sending spam??? Don't you even know who is an existing subscriber or not? I fill my recycle bin every week of junk like that!

I am wondering why company such as Rogers are still in business today.

They are just there to have the monopole, make a lot of profit, steal money from customers and slow down the evolution of technology in general.

I had internet&TV since roughly year 1995 with different ISPs and providers, and I never had a service as unreliable as what I am getting with Rogers.

Rogers call their network a "hybrid network", I guess it mean a network with a bunch of unreliable, different and obsolete technology that are falling apart. They just refuse to admit their network is old and unreliable and on top of it they are trying to market it as a good thing. It is like saying: ”Hey! Look at our diarrhea! It is the best in the world!”

Unfortunately there are not so many choices for telecommunication provider in a given residential area, in my case it is either Rogers or Bell and both sucks.

Comments:

AppleGuy
join:2013-09-08
Canada

Mailing

Rogers can be hit and miss for sure. But I do agree with there 2 times a week mailing of junk mail asking you to buy a new cellphone, sign up for security, etc....
observer99

join:2014-07-07
Toronto, ON

rogers

This company has zero regard for their customers. I got cable internet via another provider but Rogers is the carrier. I recently disconnected my rogers TV. Instead of just disconnecting my TV only, they disconnected the entire Cable, so now I have no internet. They did this despite the fact that I specified when I called them to disconnect the TV only, not to do anything with the internet. Rogers should be broken up into carrier, and provider companies.

Review by nekkidtruth See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Fast, Reliable and Decent Customer Service"
Bad "Pricing"
Overall "Rogers has the speed and the reliability, prices are too high."

·WIND Mobile
Update 05/26/14: I'm still with Rogers. They have once again revamped their tiers and in my case, my bill dropped about $5/month for more speed. I do pay an abnormally high amount for my connection which is unlimited. I'm still interested in the TPIA's and will definitely move over once I see a dramatic drop in complaints over the change over (ie. Botched installs, days without a connection, congestion etc).

Update 01/22/12: Recently moved and took Rogers with me. I debated using this opportunity to switch to TekSavvy, but after a bit of research I decided to stick with Rogers. I don't enjoy paying the monthly fee that I do, but I haven't had connectivity issues with Rogers in years. My speeds have been totally consistent and I've had 0 down time in over a year. Maybe I'll call in and see if they'll lower my monthly rate for a while.

I am however also not a fan of the caps. There's no reason for them to exist. The monthly pricing and the traffic-shaping/caps are really the two things that bug the most. If Rogers can bring those 2 things to a level that's reasonable, they probably wouldn't have so many disgruntled customers.

Update 04/08/11: It's been a while since I updated my review. Services are basically the same. My connection is rock solid and reliable. Unfortunately, Rogers still shapes traffic and still has low caps although they are currently raising them slightly.

Overall, it's not worth the money. It's been proven there is no congestion issue, so the caps and traffic shaping does nothing but hinder services for no reason.

I've been thinking of possibly going to TekSavvy....We'll see what happens.

Update 11/08/07: There are rumors the caps are going to be lowered. This is unacceptable. The caps are already unreasonable. I suspect they'll lose a lot of customers should this actually be the case. I'm getting fantastic speeds, but I do not appreciate being capped, regardless of whether I reach said caps or not.

I don't use torrents so the throttling doesn't effect me, but I highly disagree with throttling.

Rogers...leave our connections alone. Give us what we pay for and stop telling us what we can and can't do with the Internet connection we pay a small fortune for you to provide us.

Old Review:

I've had Rogers for approximately 7 months now. I switched over from IGS because in my area I was unable to get more than 1784/600 on DSL. I spoke numerous times with Bell as well as IGS and came to the conclusion that after waiting almost 5 years for my area to be upgraded, it just wasn't going to happen.

The installation took about an hour if that. We also had Rogers Home Phone and 2 Digital Cable boxes installed at the same time.

I currently have the Rogers High-Speed Extreme packaged which was originally 6000/800. Recently they have upgraded and my package has been bumped up to 8000/800.

My most recent speedtest shows me as getting:

7940/815 (I consistently get 7500+)

I pay $55.95/month for this service and it has been AWESOME thus far.

I realize Rogers isn't always a viable option as their services do tend to suck in a lot of areas. Thankfully, my area no longer sucks.

Thank you Rogers. After years of paying $54/month for sub-par DSL services, it's nice to finally get my moneys worth.

member for 12.4 years, 3205 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by koreyb See Profile

• Location: East York,ON
Good "Reliable, full service supplier... Reasonable deal (that I was able to get), FREE MOVE OF SERVICE"
Bad "Normal prices are awful, LARGE faceless company"
Overall "Nice when you get a win back deal, normal prices are not worth it."

·VMedia
After many years, of being with TPIA Cable providers and Wholesale DSL providers, and many win back offers by Rogers before, ROGERS finally came out with a great WIN BACK offer, I just couldn't refuse, especially with an upcoming move.

3 months for free, $45 + tax after, 35x3 mb service, free install, free modem rental, no contract.

The service was exactly the same really as I had in the past from TPIA providers, accept it is clear Rogers treats their own customers with higher priority, offers speedboost, and overall seems to put more effort to providing the service.

I recently moved, and free moving really was a nice touch.

Sadly, with the move, we ended up taking a place, where OTA TV isn't fully available, and are in need for a TV service.

I got a great offer from another company for TV and internet, which Rogers couldn't match (not even close), so after the ridiculous 30 day cancellation period, I will be leaving again..

If you can get a great deal, and only want Internet, I would recommend them, as speeds where consistently fast and service as actually good. Less headaches with the games played by Rogers against TPIA customers. It just works. If you need TV with your internet, shop around....

Comments:

nekkidtruth
YISMM
join:2002-05-20
London, ON

Curious...

You don't make note of your cap. This is an important piece of the price puzzle.
Weeeeeee
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON

The Cap

The deal I got had 300 gigs a month...
delius

join:2006-07-30
Dorchester, ON

Re: The Cap

Have same internet plan. Fyi who did u choose for tv. No ota here couple of. Stations only