Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by resa1983 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "nothing"
Bad "Bad Connectivity, even worse Customer Service"
Overall "Just all-around bad. Tech support sucks and can't help with anything"

Update: March 23rd, 2011
Switched to Teksavvy because Rogers is so inept it takes them 9 months to fix a throttling issue that Cisco fixed in under a month.

Don't expect actual assistance from Rogers.

DO expect that if theres a problem, its NOT their fault (even if you have proof it is their fault).
DO expect that if you have proof of a problem on their end, they'll find a way to blame YOU for causing the problem.
DO expect to be given the run-around if there's a problem.
DO expect billing issues, they really like to do this.

I hope the CRTC fines them for improperly throttling time-sensitive traffic.

Update: January 24, 2011
Moved and downgraded to Rogers High-Speed Express, bundled with HD Cable, and the Sports package (husband's choice).

Not even getting half the advertised upload speeds, and they now throttle/packet shape absolutely everything - not just the P2P stuff. This results in not being able to game properly on the PS3 with nothing else hooked up to the router. Everything's fine til you're randomly chosen to host the game, then suddenly it becomes unplayable.

More issues with WoW again (and now SC2) as Rogers is packet shaping required ports to play these games. Been given the runaround when I've attempted to contact Rogers Tech Support (its really not their fault, they've been taught to stay on script, and don't know about packet shaping). Lack of assistance when requesting to be kicked up to someone in Tier 2 is very frustrating. Hoping for a resolution after contacting them on their new forums.

You really would think that 60GB is enough for 2 people for a month... Unfortunately thats not the case. Even with our gaming, we never reached more than 20GB a month. However we did a 1 month trial for Netflix, and immediately went over our cap and had to fork out overage charges to Rogers. I hated having to cancel Netflix as they provide much better television/movie options than RoD has, but I'm not willing to upgrade my Rogers package for a higher cap as I hate paying Rogers more money for the poor service they're providing. I'd switch, however everyone else is just as bad right now (or worse, ie Bell), or in the case of Teksavvy, will be as bad once they get throttled by their provider.

I don't even use P2P except when Blizzard pushes their patches for WoW (even then I usually disable it and get faster download speeds from their CDN).. I really wish there was an ISP who cared about their users, and not about how much they can squeeze you for.

Original review:
Honestly, the only good thing about Rogers is that you can bundle their services..
I'm using Rogers High-Speed Extreme bundled with an HD TV package, and their home phone service.

As for the High-Speed Extreme:
I'm constantly having latency issues with Rogers in connecting to WoW. Most traces show Rogers routers as being the issue, occasionally some show AT&T routers as being the issue.

Customer Service:
Any attempt to call Rogers and have them fix an issue (or have them issue a service ticket to AT&T) results in a flat "All our servers/routers are up, so that can't be the problem. I think the problem is Blizzard's servers" without doing any diagnostics, traces, nothing.. While I'm sitting looking at multiple traces showing dropped packets, and increased latency through hops, while the 'techs' are telling me thats normal.

Attempting to use their online tech support isn't much help. Those tech support people respond when they feel like it, or don't. The tech guy I had 'helping' me said if I wanted to find the problem with my latency, he'd have to walk me through tests on my computer. I said sure. He said they'd take a while. I told him that was fine cuz I just wanted it fixed. 30 minutes later, still no response from the tech support personnel. Finally closed their window because I'd had enough of waiting.

Speeds:
I'm currently receiving less than half the download speeds as promised by the package, and nowhere even close to the upload speeds promised either. When calling to ask about this, Customer Service told me this may be due to a lot of people in my area using Rogers, and that it should give much better speeds on non-peak hours and to try then. Cuz you know, I'm really going to be awake at 4am when I need to go to work the next day for 9am.

Either way, these speeds are unacceptable for what I'm paying, and what the package says it offers.

If given the choice, pass on Rogers.

member for 6.8 years, 1914 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by yuv See Profile

Good "little"
Bad "business practices"
Overall "let some real competition finally begin"

when I signed up for Rogers I did not have much choice. Actually nothing since I did not want to eat the CRTC-imposed dry-loop-tax. I hope to get better service on Rogers' cable with TekSavvy.

»panospace.wordpress.com/2011/03/···-rogers/

Comments:

Review by tawabamiri See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Nothing really"
Bad "throttled, low monthly cap, paying more money for less value."
Overall "Its just bad"

First off. the monthly limit is small,80 gbs? really? This is the third highest package too (Extreme). You also have to use a modem with wifi build in for every package over extreme(including extreme). I already had a wifi router so this seemed pointless to me and a unnecessary grab of money. Did I mention your speed is throttled?

Why do I have this service? Well, its the only dam Isp to serve my area. No bell, acanac or teksavvy.

I wish I can change Isps.

Update1: I can't even download a game off steam now since it will take 1/8 of my limit. The only thing decent is that my speeds stay constant throughout the day

Comments:

Review by sbrook See Profile

• Location: Ottawa
Good "Speed"
Bad "Customer Service"
Overall "OK for connectivity, Useless for P2P, Useless for Support, Advertize too much"

·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
They finally completed connection to our semi-rural area right in the middle of the transition between @home and @rogers ... so they made a dogs dinner of setting up my account, with wrong passwords, and web presence not set up properly. This was a continuation of the customer service disaster that Rogers had with their cable TV customer support.

It worked from the moment I connected the NIC to the TeraPro modem at 1.2 Mbits/sec downlink 340 Kbits/sec backlink.

When Rogers "upgraded" by putting in speed throttling, my upload dropped to 170 and download maxed out at 700K, but usually was in the 300-400 range. I complained and complained and complained and got tired of the run around. I found out more and discovered an interesting problem with some TeraPro CMTS/Modem combos limiting speeds to 4* the upload. I demanded to speak to a manager who agreed that there was something wrong since my download speed should not have fallen. They offered me DOCSIS, and a tech came out and replaced my modem with a PipeRider.

They forgot to cap it for the first month, so the speeds were great at 3500 down! They put in the speed cap and the speed came down to about 1.1 Mbits/sec, but consistent, although spikey. Eventually, in Nov. 2002, they did a CMTS upgrade and the speeds went up to about 1.45 solid.

Since the change to DOCSIS, I've not had the opportunity or need to call Rogers, except for a major outage and all I got was ignorance. So CS remains abysmal. If it was possible to give a neg. number for support, I'd give that.

As for communications from Rogers ... they treat the customer seemingly as something to barely be tolerated so to show that, the pre-sales category is the only place to rate it, so it also goes to the bottom. Rogers seemed to think that they could cut speeds without telling their customers and providing a reasonable justification.

Update Jul 23, 2003 - Everything's pretty much unchanged. When it works, it's great.

Update Jun 2004 - I upgraded to Extreme without a lot of hassle, although as usual Rogers phone people just don't seem to know what happens in the real world and they sent me to the wrong place to pick up a modem. I changed from an Ericsson to a Toshiba 2600. Since then, I've zoomed along at speeds consistent with the new profile.

Update Jul 2004 - Rogers Yahoo! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! As usual, Rogers tells the clients NOTHING until it's done and things stop working properly. All our mail is now with Yahoo! servers. I refuse to register because of Yahoo!'s "Lack of Privacy" Policy. So, I cannot manage my account. The amount of false positives on "bulk" mail was high to start with but is settling down. The accounts have got a LOT more spam since moving to Yahoo! even though it's a Rogers.com address ... go figure. I'm moving all my mail off Rogers because of this and the fact that the US Dept. of Homeland Paranoia can tamper with my email and even go so far as to put out warrants for my arrest in absentia if they find something in my mail they don't like! Sure I'm paranoid. I don't trust Rogers, I don't trust Yahoo! and I don't trust government agnecies.

Update Mar 2005 - Rogers Geocities ... useless since Geocities monitor traffic by the hour. Rogers Giganews ... great retention but dreadful speeds, even for text groups. Now caps ... even though they don't affect me, they're a pain. Performance issues that yet again took invoking management to resolve. Customer service is utterly useless.

Update Nov 2006 - Well, here we are over a year and a half later and nothing much has changed, although I've had the fortune to need CS only once in that time. The only mail I get through my Rogers address is some of the posts from Rogers and SPAM ... I no longer use Usenet after Rogers turned it off altogether.

Speed is consistent ... the price bump for Extreme was annoying considering that we get so little more compared with Express but I upload enough that the slower speed of Express upload made me stay.

Same old - same old for cable TV and internet drops - nearly daily for a few minutes. The new 74.*.*.* IP has been assigned and routings end up a little screwy.

Rogers is proving to be a REASONABLE connectivity provider, but as an ISP (remember the word SERVICE) they're poor. They keep trying to get me to go with home phone "from a company you trust" every few days there's something in the mail. But they've done nothing to earn my trust and with a cost of under $1 per month less than Bell, no way.

Update Feb 2008

Nothing much has changed apart from prices and the threatening of byte caps ... although that doesn't affect me. The speed is now 10/1 Mbps and my connection comes more than acceptably close. The last call to tech support to report an outage was answered by an automated system with a relevent reply and an estimated time to repair.

Services ... Rogers mail ... I try not to use it since all it gets is spam.
Yahoo! Launchcast Plus ... It's OK, if a bit limited for the kind of music I like.
Flickr ... useful for sharing photos with family abroad.

Having experienced Bell tech support, I'll lift that off the basement and give Rogers a 2.

Services, I'll lift off the basement and give that a 2 ... but no higher because a lack of usenet and a horrible mail service.

Update July 2009

Again, changes to the service involce speed, although not significant improvements to the Extreme service.

More Rogers Yahoo cobranded services bite the dust ... this time Launchcast has been blown away. Geocities web space has gone (never used it because I have my own service - thank goodness)

Due to cost several cost increases in Rogers services in the last 18 months, I've downgraded to Express.

Update Mar 2011 ... No real changes since previous review. Very Occasional congestion speed sag appearing. Don't know whether this is the cable segment or the connection to/from Fallowfield ... suspect the latter since they did have a problem there and stopped taking on faster speed customers.

member for 13 years, 6463 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Tig See Profile

• Location: Carrying Place,ON

No longer relevant. Deleted

Comments:

Review by Nailbag See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "mostly always on"
Bad "DPI throttleing pure crap dns"
Overall "if verizon came up here Rogers and Bell would be extinct"

from cutting edge now to bleeding edge .I had extreme and was 60 a month until they disconnected me 3 different occasions BUT my bill was paid in full all the time[called accounting and asked WTF is going on each I asked account paid answer was YES Y i am i disconnected.

then reponse was O0] ended up calling Office of the President ended up paying 40 a month.Totally dissatisfied with DPI and throttleing page injections DNS screwups and lies when caught or finally admitting it .finally called and canceled my account aksed why i told them what i felt NOT SATISFIED with service[dpi injection caps throttleing] passed me off to retentions offered me 3 months free I LOL'ed i said you didnt hear 1 word i said not happy why would i want 3 free months more of grief

Comments:

Review by alexandra21 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "15/1 Speeds - BLAZING FAST AROUND THE CLOCK."
Bad "High price, lacking customer service, company has the 'Big Boy' complex"
Overall "Get it if you have to."

I upgraded from their Lite service because we had tenants move in downstairs that were using (but paying) for our internet service. With 5+ people using the net at any one time, 3 Mbps download simply was not enough.

All we had to do was go into a Rogers location and swap our rusty old modem for a shiny new N-wireless router/gateway/modem in one (might i add this costs $7/month for rental?).

Next day, our usage cap was increased to 80 GB and speeds increased to Extreme (15/1). On speed tests, a notebook connected wirelessly will average 14.5/900, at worst 12.5/800. If connected directly to the modem, I get about 15.2/1 (which i think is more than i can ask for!).

Calling in for customer service can be a hit and miss.
Their prices are semi-competitive. But when i hear of the same service elsewhere for $30, it does get to me... haha.

Rogers has dominated the market in every sense and therefore they've developed the infamous 'Big Boy' complex: customers no longer matter, its about juicing the field of cows for every drop of milk they possibly can.

The only reason i believe i get any sort of service from Rogers is because I usually just go directly into a retail location. Being an attractive girl helps, i guess.

Get it if you have to.

Update: Upgraded to Extreme+ (25/1) with 125GB cap (totally sucks).
Includes SpeedBoost, which boosts speed to 40/1 for first few seconds of a download, then goes steady at 23/1.

Comments:

Review by ktong747 See Profile

• Location: Thornhill,ON
Good "Reliable."
Bad "Expensive, relatively low usage caps compared to the wholesalers. Contract gimmicks."
Overall "Not recommended. There are better choices than the incumbent ISPs."

I've had the service for about 6 years now. Also had several tier upgrades on the way because they kept dropping the caps for the low tier services. I am forced to pay for more speed just to get bigger caps.

Tech support aren't friendly, but I bet it could be worse if they knew they weren't be recorded by Rogers. At least they speak intelligible English unlike Bell's tech support which is based in India.

Low usage caps suck. I've been going over the cap nearly every month now. Paying 2 dollars a gigabyte over when bandwidth costs mere cents is disgusting.

I called in to cancel and apparently I'm on a contract, probably because I got a retention discount with them a few months earlier, so they locked me in to get their money's worth. Their Better Choice Bundle is also a rip off. You sign a contract to get a "discount" but if you try to cancel before the term is up, you owe them everything you saved.

I would switch to TekSavvy once my contract is done.

Comments:

Review by smokemonster See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Highest speed and monthly bandwidth availability in Canada"
Bad "SMC Gateway is overpriced (200 dollars or 7-8 dollars monthly)"
Overall "Despite some recent connection issues, Rogers is very good"

In 2001 we switched from AOL Canada dial-up to Bell Canada's DSL service. The connection was decent for ten years ago, but their technical / billing support was weak, and we got a better offer from Rogers after several years of merely adequate service.

We have been on Rogers for about six years, and I am quite pleased with the service, and technical / billing support, which is located here in Canada.

Early on, we had a basic "dumb" modem by Scientific Atlanta that can be purchased for 80-100 dollars, and performed very well as a pass-through devicewith a D-Link wireless G router.

Over the years, Rogers investment in their infrastructure has made their fastest speeds, up to 50 mbps down, and 2 mbps up, widely available. Fiber optics are a huge part of the Rogers network, and it shows. While Bell talks about its new Fibe service, the only advantage they really offer is upload speeds near 5 mbps.

Rogers fastest download speed is twice as fast as the comparable high-end product from Bell, and gives a much more generous monthly bandwidth cap.

Recently, my SMC Gateway has been acting up, similar to what I used to see when working as a help desk technician for Verizon DSL. Bottom line on modems and routers is that they fail, fail, fail, then fail some more, regardless of the price or range of features offered on the device.

I called technical support today, and the very helpful agent confirmed that the device is dropping its connection, and from his end looked like I had powered down the gateway and/or performed a hard reset. In fact, I had power-cycled the gateway to attempt a reconnect 30 minutes before calling him, and what he was seeing confirmed my suspicion that the device was failing. The support rep on the phone booked a next-day field tech visit with a three hour appointment window.

I am continually impressed not just with the technical aspects of the Rogers ISP in this part of Ontario, but with the consistent hard work of phone reps who seem determined to retain their customers. We enjoy 15% off each of our monthly services, and when money got tight, their retention department worked out something very agreeable.

Rogers gets 4 out of 5 stars from this happy customer.

Comments:

Review by ExpFist See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Not Bell"
Bad "Metering, Unreasonable UBB over charging, Traffic shaping, DNS manipulation, Ping issues"
Overall "Avoid unless your only alternative is Bell. Then, well, better than dial-up I guess"

I've had Rogers for 15 years, and it's been getting worse and worse over time. Traffic shaping started with Torrents, but now shapes pretty much everything you do on the Internet. Traffic shaping fail-overs caused frequent disconnects of all services, and would kick you out of Video games. Rebooting the modem fixes this issue temporarily, but it's annoying having Rogers manipulate your Internet. Ping times have become worse overtime. The only plus is you don't have long outages over hour long periods like you used to originally with the service. If you plan to adopt new internet services like high definition video, prepare to pay for overages.

I can't comment on a lot of the pre-sale information since I was one of their first subscribers in the mid 90's. Their technical support seems like it is far better than Bell however, much like their services (including overage fees), and if you have speed issues due to a bad connection, they'll send someone over for free to diagnose/fix it.