Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by Trencher See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Fast most of the time, haven't lost it for more then an hour,"
Bad "Throttling, UBB, Customer Service, Roger's itself"
Overall "If you have NO other options, go with Rogers... a year ago I enjoyed their internet but they found many ways to make me not!"

They were great for awhile but in the last year they raised the UBB, throttled torrents and just started offering worse and worse service... its a shame really. Way to $$$$ it up Rogers

Comments:

Review by cupavi See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Good Initial Speed"
Bad "Cost, Throtling, Throtling, Throtling and traffic shaping, bad Modem requirement"
Overall "Home users might be ok, heavy users beware! Heavy Traffic Shaping!!"

Initial honeymoon period was great. Full torrent speeds and no throtles. Shortly after that they started shaping traffic and my wonderfull speeds went down the toilet. Max dl speed now is 200k if lucky and 5k up. Now if i need to dl a patch for game or os its blazing fast.

Just to add if you are using anything related to torrents it will more or less shut down and make any other internet activity unusable

The modem that they force you to use is mediocre at best and if you read the numerous posts you will find that a lot of people have issues with it.

Tech Support is generally ok and speedy, but they cant really resolve things that are imposed on everyone, like throtling and shaping.

Is it better than some of the other major isps? Probably mostly reliable.

Do we have a lot of choice in the matter? Not really since any reseller will feel the same pains.

Comments:

Review by EastYorkGuy See Profile

• Location: East York,ON
Good "They are not Bell."
Bad "They are Rogers."
Overall "The lesser of two evils."

·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy TekTalk
They have the potential to be a great ISP, given the cable infrastructure that they hang off Bell poles and the really good customer support (Canadian!) and the millions of service vans they have in GTA, and elsewhere. However, being a part of Rogers Communications means that it's run by rich people completely out of touch with the common JOE, like myself, and are determined to squeeze every penny out of us, be it by overcharging for usage on the internet, subtly coercing you to subscribe to Cable TV by messing with live Hockey streaming or tv shows (CTV, CBC and Global all seem to have streaming problems at times..?) and finally by throttling your legal p2p data transferring. All we really have left is the $50 /mo. maximum overcharge fee for GB's over the limit! I'm sure it won't be long before that's gone in favor of so-called 'gigabyte insurance' or prepayment of gigabytes. In the end, I'm going to have to end my seeding (of my rarest stuff!) and the community will suffer. Teddy never would have let this happen! I PRAY FOR AMERICAN ISP COMPANIES TO GIVE US AMERICAN INTERNET HERE IN TORONTO. GOD BLESS AMERICA. WE SURF IN PEACE. PLEASE TAKE OUR DOLLARETTES AND FREE US FROM BLUE AND RED. America, are you listening? Dammit, they can't hear me!

A Proud Canadian.

Comments:

Review by Cobrajr122 See Profile

• Location: Saint John,NB
Good "Reliable, fast, caps are not too bad."
Bad "Has a cap, low upload."
Overall "I would have fibre if I could, but had to go with rogers. I am still happy though."
(ratings well above consensus)

The service was spotty when I first upgraded from the 10/1 plan to the 25/1 plan since the faster network was new and still being balanced but has been just fine a couple weeks after that. The speeds are constant and and FAST.

The modem/router they gave me is sub par - I asked for just a modem but i could not get one. Disabling the router and forwarding everything to my own worked, but it was shotty.

I move the modem between 2 houses and the techs were EXTREMELY helpful in having my modem set up to work in both locations. They did everything they could from their end then sent a tech out to me to run new cables in from the street and fix any other problems I had. They even fixed the quality on my parents cable TV after seeing that the lower channels were grainy. ALL AT NO CHARGE. (this was supposedly because I was the only person using the new network out there and I was their test subject :P )

Overall I am satisfied, though I would move to Aliants fibre if it was available in my apartment. Even though it runs on the road in front of it, I can't get it.

I am not to happy with the cap.

Comments:

Review by cliffz0rz See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Surfing speed is fine."
Bad "Throttling, maximum overage fees, terrible modem."
Overall "Honestly? Avoid. I'm only with them because I literally had no other choice."

Once Teksavvy cable is available here in Ottawa, I'm switching. Can't stand Rogers and really wish I had another option. 2 meg DSL is the only alternative at my home. Since I have 2 roommates, we can't realistically share a 2 meg connection...

Suppose I should mention that I'm a former contracted employee of Rogers (from many years ago). Perhaps seeing how they run the business from the inside has ruined my image of them, but whatever. They're out for a buck (or ten, if they can get away with it) and nothing will change them except government regulation (if that).

Comments:

Review by claytonbar See Profile

• Location: Sparta,ON
Good "excellant"
(ratings well above consensus)

I ordered 50.0 download and 2.0 upload, have an smc high speed modem wireless router,orered over the phone and completed over the phone. I was very pleased with the girl on the phone as she seemed very savey on the service and options. The price for the service is $99.99 per month for 175 Gb of service and $7.50 per month to rent router plus taxes of coarce totalling $121.46, I have 5 computers hooked to the service and Rogers online protection as well included I'm very pleased so far.Thanks for reading Jim

Comments:

Review by canDarian See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Fastest most reliable in Canada."
Bad "Most expensive terrible reps"
Overall "if you got the money Rogers is where you should be."

I like Rogers for their speed other then that I hate them lol,they have some of the worst customer service ever and I been dealing with them for around 20 years and its actually much worse now.

As for the service it's expensive but fast and stable,if you use torrents it's iffy as whether your area will be throttled.

I use Giganews service and pay 25$ for that and I have express and I pay the 50$ overage which works out to like $131.35 with tax for unlimited un throttled internet with this setup I can easily do multi TB downloads per month.

Comments:

Review by ohzopants See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "I get the speed I pay for consistently"
Bad "Upload and caps are low, throttling is annoying"
Overall "The internet service itself is fantastic, the service conditions are not so good"

·TekSavvy Cable
The best I can get from DSL at my home is just under 2 Mb/s so I decided to give Rogers a go. I chose to buy my modem upfront and not to sign a contract, so I can't attest to anything that comes along with that. The installation was on-time and simple. I was up and running when they promised I would be.

Since then (~1 year now) I have consistently gotten the speed I pay for (10/1). In fact, I have not had any service outages that I noticed. Bittorrent is throttled on both the upload and download (despite what is claimed on their website). I do not check my pings very often, but when I do they are always fine.

I hate to say it, but for my situation Rogers cable is "the fastest and most reliable network".

I've left out any tech support rating since I have yet to need them for anything.

Comments:

Review by lifeinthewoods See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Good Pings, Always up"
Bad "Caps, Caps, Caps"
Overall "I will be moving to an ISP that does not sell other media, ASAP"

I've used Rogers "Hi-Speed Extreme" for ~5 years now.

The connection is good, always up and low pings.

Unfortunately, the caps are too restrictive and the pricing is always going up (more money for less service)

I do not consider myself a heavy down loader. Which is to say, that I enjoy 3 or 4 movies a month and some games through Steam. That is enough to push through my cap and be charged $1.50 per GB. I feel that $71.18 a month is more then enough money to be allowed to connect to the internet for my modest usage.

The worst part I find is the obnoxious banner they insert into any browser that tells me that I've gone over and will be charged. There was no banner telling me I was close, just one that says I owe them even more money.

I will be switching to either tech savvy or montreal dsl when it's available at the end of Feb.

Comments:

Review by BigSensFan See Profile

• Location: Whitby,ON
Good "Reliable Service & good speeds"
Bad "Throttled and Expensive"
Overall "There are cheaper alternatives out there, with better pricing"

Have this service bundled with phone and cell..get a 20% discount because of this. If I didn't I would find a cheaper alternative

member for 11.4 years, 6681 visits, last login: a few hours ago