Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

• Location: Woodstock,ON
Good "Consistent"
Bad "25 Gb Cap"
Overall "Acceptable"
(ratings well above consensus)

Hi Speed Lite. Reasonable download speeds. Slow upload speeds. Normally operational except unannounced recent work done by Rogers in the neighborhood. Far better that dial-up! Rogers installation service was competent. Using their SMC modem @ $4.50/mon. + taxes. Overall good experience.

Comments:

Review by mulambo187 See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Speed Test results"
Bad "I get dialup speeds on P2P, monthly fees from 12 month agreement are not in line with actual monthly cost."
Overall "Stay away, Rogers is far too cavalier with their customers."

I have been betrayed by helpful CSR who signed me up for 12 months. Taunted by the next CSR and threatened with an extortionate cancellation fee when I wanted to cancel after being victim to a bait and switched 12 month agreement.

Rogers is half decent for surfing the web and such, but nothing special, compared to the alternatives out there. Gaming latency is OK, but P2P file transfers are absolutely horrible. I am not new to this, and I know it is rogers tampering with my connections. The only reason I came to Rogers in the first place was because I was offered a very sweet price, too bad it turned out to be their most basic basic plan after I got the bill, and not what was offered over the phone to me. (10mbps connection, 95GB cap, ended up with 3mbps/25GB cap).

It's averaging $150 a month for Phone/TV/Internet. This company is completely ripping me off. If your on this site, I urge you to look anywhere else before settling with Rogers, or Bell for that matter. Good Luck, and BEWARE!!!

Comments:

Review by a_large_rock See Profile

• Location: Markham,ON
Good "Email seems to be reliable; connection is almost always on."
Bad "Horrible tech support, slow speeds, speed throttling, bandwidth cap, clost"
Overall "Expensive, VERY slow 4pm to midnight; Phone support is a joke"

·Start Communicat..
Web site is down often, can't login. Tech Support staff bounce you around from person to person without trying to address issues/problems. Tech Support seem to be confused; each staff member contradicts the previous one. Email seems to be reliable; connection is on, but throttled. The service isn’t as fast as advertised. P2P/Bittorent is throttled even though BitTorrent is one of the advertised uses of the service. Throttling disconnects applications such as World of Warcraft. Throttles downloads while saying they do not. The service has a very small bandwidth cap, and planned (implemented) fees for going over cap are insanely high. ISP’s site for monitoring bandwidth usage rarely works.

Comments:

Review by naturr See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Generally works"
Bad "Never at the speed billed, low cap rates, horrible service, extra charges"
Overall "Terrible thankfully their is Teksavvy"

I have never met a person that likes Rogers or has a nice thing to say about them and for good reason. Finally the Duopoly has been broken and TekkSavvy and other companies can offer Cable and DSL to customers and provide real service. I swapped two weeks ago as soon as I found out and glad I did. Cheaper, faster and better.

Comments:

Review by dollarbook See Profile

• Location: Selkirk,MB
Good "technology has room over this promotion/courts will admire strong influences to ensure"
Bad "advertising to consumers at the hieght of digital expulsions seemed to good to be a real deal"

Basically when a consumer decides to take interest on telecommunications and enterprises that fit long term finacial profit margin gains in the eletronic industry, it spells releief to who can adjust to maladjusted ad service to say what all one wants is margin gain by better influences? Nah, maybe, the crtc is flamboyant to address the strong, the bold and the reliable view of bold, but again too beware, all papers that broadcast simple to fast is less addressed to give more when really created before there time.

What it is said The Movie franchises is well ahead now, faster than roger's faster than bell its self and yet blind to owner ships on ceo directtion stumbles?

Here here, i'll show numbers that ring stable comfort setting rather than risk a consumer in hieghtened times of finacial ups and downs, to this the profits loss and gain projects are not really a cause but at consumers risk to sign with a company with strategic power plays of the strog, mind you not really bold enough, So when consumers want better, and demographically knowning dollars can give a company statgegic ways to ensure all loss even at fail to keep sign up in contracts, will most likey be the failer of many that try old school gain by loss with pay any ways events, So in my view hi speed events too soon? Cable guys waiting to here what they can offer as well, and yet again who is the big cheese that can privalty deploy communication signals with regulations other than there own made into force policies? Hmm Hmm, some one with more outside flair, some who gives less to squabble about by having more than one cable line, yet all? Hmm hmm not the french news papers either, once there news items are tired and bored they too tend to recieve the pinch, yes even in economic times too, papers can feel worse if it is not cafully thought out right, but adlib or mime art worked well in other regions? any ways, A rate on rogers? too much to go through, simple baby, keep it simple, the kids we make in the world today may not fit into seperated margins of perfected ingenius stats at harvard let alone golf reviews for the army. Have a nice day

Comments:

Review by DrewD50 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Speed, price if you negotiate ( Thanks to TechSavvy )"
Bad "120GB download limit and chargers if you go over"
Overall "when renewing your contract negotiate!"

Thanks to competition Rogers is trying to retain customers and stay competitive.

Comments:

Review by Dustyn See Profile

• Location: Tottenham,ON
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (6 month contract)
Good "No packet loss (versus Sympatico), faster downloads, all in one bundled bill."
Bad "Customer support needs work... They are not very friendly people."
Overall "Somewhat better than Sympatico..."

UPDATE: Friday, October 29, 2010:

No real issues to bring up. Connection remains stable. New contract pricing plan put into effect based being a long time customer. Monthly cost will be updated shortly...

- END TRANSMISSION - 11:45:45PM Eastern Standard Time

UPDATE: Sunday, April 23, 2006:

Returned Motorola SURFboard 5100 Cable Modem to local Rogers Video/Internet outlet because I have decided to upgrade my current EXPRESS plan to EXTREME. The deal I have made with Rogers is if I decide to purchase a NEW Motorola SURFboard 5100 Cable Modem for $99.95 (CAD), they will eliminate the $3.00/mth modem rental charge and they will automatically upgrade me to the EXTREME plan at no additional charge! I'm VERY happy to say I now have Rogers Extreme Internet and I'm only paying EXPRESS prices!

Nod too shabby.
NOTE: This is not some promotional deal where the price would be jacked up down the road. I have confirmation that I am locked in at this current set rate for EXTREME.

RANKING: Pre Sales Information knocked down a point from 4 to 3 as the 3 different people I have talked to get frustrated with me if I need clarification on something.

Quote: "Okay, sir? I just explained this to you.... What is it about this plan you are having so much difficulty understanding?"

*growls* The utter nerve of some people. This kind of B.S. used to get to me... but now I get the last smart ass rebuttal in and hang up each time I get some snobby uptight pencil pushing geek with a chip on his/her shoulder.

Do your damn job and cut the attitude!!
I'm only asking for clarification in the most friendly way I know how?

- END TRANSMISSION - 03:41:58AM Eastern Standard Time

UPDATE: Sunday, October 30, 2005:

No new news to report about Rogers@Home Hi-Speed ISP. Read previous review for information about my ISP.

UPDATE: Sunday, March 20, 2005:

*CONNECTION RELIABILITY: Changed from rank (5) to a (4).

Seeing some noticeable delays. Connection seems bogged down. Not as snappy as it used to be. May reset modem to see if this clears things up. May go as far as logging into the modem web interface and restoring factory defaults to flush out memory. Maybe a new IP is needed. Will try option one first.

- END TRANSMISSION - 11:39:45PM Eastern Standard Time

From order to live to 6 days. I was not impressed since I already had Rogers Cable wired through the house. I just needed a technician to come by and install the splitter outside my house and put in the new cable to connect to the modem. Rogers rep called me originally on January, 12, 2005 and offered us Rogers High Speed Lite for $19.95 for the first 6 months. We already had Sympatico HSE but inquired about the Rogers Express deal which is more or less the equivalent of Sympatico HSE 3.0. She offered it to me at $29.95 for the first 6 months then after being raised to 44.95 per month. But the incentive was that I could bundle my Cable and Cellular with High Speed Internet all under one service bill. They take 15% off my Cable Bill along with another 15% off my High-Speed bill for the life of the service. (does not expire)

Order was placed on January 12, 2005 and was live on January 18, 2005. Originally was booked for January 14, 2005 but was cancelled because I was "using" my phone.

Yeah... can you believe that? I was using my phone for 15 minutes the evening he was supposed to arrive at my home and after I hang up, the red indicator light was flashing on my phone. I pick up the phone to listen for messages and I get a Rogers rep telling me, "We're sorry, a Rogers technician was set to install your Rogers Yahoo! High-Speed Internet today between 5PM-8:00PM and verified nobody was home and had to cancel the appointment. Please reschedule with us for another appointment and we thank you for choosing Rogers Yahoo! High Speed Internet services. Have a great day!"

I was so pissed. He never came to my house!! Basically what Rogers is saying is that I have to keep the telephone line clear for 3 hours so Rogers can verify somebody is home. I sure as hell wished somebody would have told me that before hand!

To make a long story short I re-booked for January 18, 2005 and the tech came by extra early... 3:00PM! Luckily I was home...*geeze!* : \ ... he installed the cabling to my satisfaction *did a great job actually* installed the Motorolla SURFboard SB5100 Cable Modem and I was happily surfing the net.

*NOTE: The reason I was so pissed of at Rogers Customer Support is because the reps were talking back to me, questioning me as to why I couldn't re-book it for another day instead of making things easier on them. I couldn't re-book it easily because the last few days I was off sick and was off work. Now I have to explain to them why I need the tech to come in at a specific time after work instead of booking MORE time off of work?

Just come on the day and time a customer specifies?
It's that simple!
Or at least tell customers that they have to keep there phone lines clear!
Almost went back to Sympatico... but, now that I'm all hooked up with my Rogers Internet, I'm all set!

member for 11.8 years, 3831 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cprail1 See Profile

• Location: Moorpark,Ventura,CA
Good "None"
Bad "Have tried using this service multiple places in Ontario. Bell beats it hands down"
Overall "Slow. Unreliable. Awful customer service"

I initially subscribed to Rogers mobile service and used it throughout Ontario - mostly in St Thomas, Ont and around Toronto Airport. In all locations I was getting unreliable and, worse, inconsistant, srevice - half decent speed one day, awful speed the next (200 kbps max). This with their turbo. I got fed up and switched to the Bell Mobility service. Speeds and reliability went up 10 fold. This was partcularly interesting in St Thomas as both services use the exact same cellular tower. And the equipment I was using was identical on each - an Erickson turbo hub.

Comments:

Review by SimGuy See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Availability, Performance"
Bad "Lack of available packages (Extreme Plus)"
Overall "Was good back then, but may have changed"
(ratings well above consensus)

Was a Rogers customer in eastern end of the Greater Toronto Area for 7 years. Installation in 1999 was on the old Terayon network (ie: non-DOCSIS) stuck at a 3.0 Mbps profile. Installation was very simple (Rogers tech had to run another coax line). Performance and speed was never a problem back then, but this was before BitTorrent really took hold (and online content distribution was just getting into the swing of things).

Reliability was very good. Not very often did the system go down or offline over those 7 years, except during maintenance windows or during the big switch from Rogers@Home to the Rogers/Yahoo Hi-Speed Internet venture.

Combined with digital cable packages, the price wasn't too bad either (considering only ADSL1 was available as competition).

All in all, I never had any issues with Rogers, but this was before they implemented monthly transfer caps and overages. Take it for what its worth.

Comments:

Review by Amoun See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Very stable, not too bad of download speeds."
Bad "Bully-like attitude, constant increasing fees, throttling."
Overall "Too bad rogers is the big one with almost no competition."

I was with rogers for a long long long time. We signed up for Rogers Unlimited Highspeed internet. Everything was nice and dandy. I had almost no outages. I can probably count the number of downtimes for all the years I was with them and it was either fixed really fast or they warned me it was their fault and they are working on it although Tech support did not always know what to do (this was a few years ago, they seem a little better now). I am not mad at them for that at all. What started to annoy me is that eventually they introduced bandwidth cap. Which they supposedly "warned me about" although there was no notice in the mail, nor email. But alas, although I was under unlimited internet, I had a 60GB cap with a maximum of $20 over usage fee. I though "alright that seems pretty fair, if you wanna download a bunch of stuff then you might as well pay a little more". Then it magically, again with an invisible notice, was turned into a $50 fee. At this point I started to get pissed off. So eventually they want me to pay for a 15mb line which caps normal downloads (not torrents) at 1mb and then caps torrents as well while paying $60/month for 80 gig (which was later upgraded) and then over charge me for my TV for a number of months and when I call them to find out what is going on I get the usual "but we sent you a notice" which again someone must have stolen from my mailbox. Rogers was an annoying company to begin with but they keep going downhill more and more. I am switching to TekSavvy (just need to decide on either DSL line or cable)