Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by Triple Helix See Profile

• Location: Oshawa,ON
Good "Great Speed and Sevice on the New Hybrid Fibre Optic 150/15 Plan"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Very, Very Good"
(ratings well above consensus)

I'm very happy with there service for the last 15 years and would not go back to Bell!

Thanks Rogers

I have been on the new Hybrid Fibre Optic 150MB down and 15MB up and getting speeds almost 160 to 170MB down with the new Hitron CG3N Modem - Router via Wireless 5G no connection problems and great wireless N distance and of course speed!

Triple Helix

member for 7.3 years, 1981 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MJB

join:2012-01-29

Rogers sucks

ROGERS SUCKS SINCE IT'S EXPENSIVE... THROTTLING.... UBB ( 100 dollars more) for extra usage

better to go to teksavvy or start communications
Expand your moderator at work

Rogers Sux

@teksavvy.com

Worst company ever! Save your money!

Rogers will sell you services at higher prices than their competitors and then throttle your speeds based on usage. Giving priority to their own network traffic by slowing down traffic to sites like Netflix. Not only that, if they detect outbound traffic from your modem, they'll throttle your speed and your latency will go up to 500 ms. What a pitiful company that can only survive by screwing their customers and lobbying the CRTC to make decisions that favour corporations.
dan mackay

join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON

modem routers suck

enjoy your shitty modem/router combo and overages

Triple Helix
Troll Hunter
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON

Re: modem routers suck

My SMC Gateway has been working flawlessly sorry but I can't agree with you.

TH

Pabist

Rogers Express

I have Rogers Express unlimited i believe it is only 25/2 mbps but download speed is usually higher around 32mbps, except when traffic is high then it is dropping below 20 unusually around 17. However speed is good enough for me to download torrent at around 3mbps (i never experienced any speed throttling with rogers, my download is usually sick fast i can download 4GB in 9 min.) my kids watch episode on YT and i can speak on my teksavvy voip phone without static noise. I chat recently with tech support first time in 8 yrs. tech was here next day after winter he replaced a connector in outside distribution box. Once a year i call loyalty dept. and negotiate a price unlimited for $77.48 modem and taxes included. Before taxes it is about 67 bucks. I am planing to callback and try to switch again to newer unlimited hybrid 30/5 without price hike i am not locked with any contract and can cancel at anytime. I don't know why someone would need 125mbps line for $125, is it possible to utilize that much bandwidth in average home? I know Canadian internet and wireless services are priced as one of the highest in developed world and we need more player in the market but for now my suggestion is try not to keep all services with one company because if you do then i think it would be difficult to negotiate price once you are locked in with 2 yr plans on 2-3 phones and cable + internet they know it would be hard to leave them, especially with wireless and most they give you if you ask would be 5 bucks off. I am in Mississauga so i can get teksavvy or start.ca or bell but for now I will stay with rogers with discounts and free modem unlimited price is somewhat compatible and support is better in case there is an issue.

P.

Review by DJtml See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Reliable, quality customer service in the beggining"
Bad "Horrendous CS, black channels constantly until 30 min reboot"
Overall "CRTCs fault for allowing BIG 3"

Been with rogers since 2006 for multiple services on and off. Over the years the customer service and technical support has deteriorated severely. It took me over an hour just to get my cancellation order put threw. 3 days later i decided to use my rewards points before my services ended, but was unable to redeem. So i decided to call and find out why, well, while the first rep couldnt do anything about it, I asked for a manager. I was put on hold for about 30 mins before one came. During that time they removed my access to the rogers.com account and rewards account then proceeded to tell me they couldn't do anything about it, yet my services still was paid for 30 more days. Its obvious during my wait they deactivated my access to resolve the issue and act like they don't know what happened. Its shady tactics like this that make the BIG 3 the worst company's out there. and as i type this my cable TV is stuttering like crazy, even tho it never used to until i called to cancel.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Comments:
sauga_1

join:2014-02-05

I had the same issue

I had to face the same issue when i cancelled my internet service. i have all kind of internet issue started right after the day i cancelled the internet. stay away from this red R company.

Review by dmacgee See Profile

• Location: London,ON

Good product little downtime. Data limit could be higher as more and more streaming is available.

Comments:

Review by hurleyp See Profile

• Location: Ottawa, ON
Good "Reliability"
Bad "None I can think of"
Overall "It just works!"

High speed options in my area are either Bell DSL or Rogers Cable. (Wireless is an option, I suppose, but I'm not interested at this time.) In reality, Bell DSL is not very fast because of distance limitations, so Rogers is the best option. I can say that the service is solid and reliable. I would estimate that the service is down for no more than for a total of one hour per year. I don't make use of the Rogers-specific Internet features so I can't comment on them. I use the Hitron CGN2-ROG cable modem in bridge mode connected to a Netgear WNDR3700.

member for 14.4 years, 5056 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by weedb0y See Profile

• Location: L6Y 0W3
Good "Reliable, consistent. "
Bad "Latecy is higher than Fibe FTTH in the area."
Overall "Expensive but reliable. If Bell offered higher caps on FTTH, I would switch back."

Expensive but works.

Comments:
iamkyle

join:2011-03-22
Newmarket, ON

What?

You have FTTH but choose Rogers? I'll have whatever you're smoking.
weedb0y

join:2013-04-29
L6Y 0W3

Re: What?

175GB vs. 300GB.

Review by AppleGuy See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Good price, if you can haggle or get the offer."
Bad "300GB cap...make people happy make it 500GB at least"
Overall "You gotta play ball with Rogers, you might end up with some happiness."

·WIND Mobile
Been with Rogers for years....years I tell you, after my personal hell from Bell and the ever increasing limiting my speed.
Rogers has increased my speed 10-fold. So I'm happy.
I am NOT happy with increase after increase after increase so I go to cancel.
DR;TL -- so I'll skip everything else, I managed to get $45/month 30/3 300GB internet for 8-years, no contract, modem included.

TPIA can't match. Sorry Teksavvy. I so wanted to be with you...But for now, I have to stick Rogers. $45 is a killer price for 8 years.

member for 1.2 years, 504 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Treegravy See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Steady uptime for most of 10+ years"
Bad "CAPS are bad mmmkay."
Overall "Reasonable if you're not a power gamer or a downloader or Netflixer"

We're old subscribers from the Rogers@Home days when there were no such things as 'allowances'. The service has always been reasonably reliable and as such when an outage occurred it's been a surprise. That still holds true for the most part. We've never had to rely on Rogers' technical support for any clients that we needed configuring and never used the Rogers provided software from day one. I wouldn't recommend installing any of that since available third party tools are readily available that do a better job of managing your service and security than what's provided.

I took extreme issue with Rogers initially instituting allowances and downgraded our service at that time. When the fees became too high for that downgraded service we downgraded our service again. When Rogers lowered their allowances for new subscribers just as Netflix entered the Canadian market it signalled to us that it was time to consider alternatives.

Update May 2013:

We've sent our notice in and are currently awaiting activation from a competitor of Rogers' service. We undertook to change providers since Rogers doesn't care to honour a deal that we negotiated in good faith with them in order to retain our business. Specifically we were assured that the package and price we agreed to included a free modem rental for a year since we would have to move to a DOCSIS 3 device. Upon getting our first bill we noted the rental charge of seven ($7) dollars and promptly called to remind them of the bargain we'd struck. They were adamant that the modem rental wasn't included and since they wouldn't bend on that point we felt the service would have no value to us and proceeded with the cancellation process.

member for 3.5 years, 1021 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

toronto7878

@bell.ca

Experiences in Rogers Services

A month ago, I moved my internet connection to Rogers and have been a disappointment ever since. Connection wasn't working because the modem Rogers tech gave me was different from their system so I was bumped to 3 different departments before someone was competent enough to change my model # to the recent one. Until now, I have been having bad internet connection in different times of the day and thinking of switching to a different provider. Stay away from Rogers Hi Speed internet. Not worth the headache and service is very bad.

Review by wwx9813 See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Great speed, reliable connection, 24/7 support"
Bad "Extremely expensive for this package"
Overall "Recommended, but be prepared to pay a premium"
(ratings well above consensus)

We ordered the Ultimate package, which was advertised at $125/month before taxes and included 250GB/month and speeds of 150Mbps download, 10Mbps upload. We upgraded to unlimited bandwidth for an extra $10/month (unlimited costs $10/month only if you have two other Rogers services; TV and Home Phone)

On average, we receive speeds of 167Mbps download and 9.87Mbps upload. The order process was simple, we called in, signed up and booked an installation date. The earliest they could schedule a technician was four days away, which was fine. He was nice and had everything installed within 20 minutes. We were previously with TekSavvy, so the cables were ready for him.

We were given their "Advanced Wi-Fi Modem" at an additional $12/month, however, this was waived as part of our signup promotion for two years. We have it in bridge mode as we prefer our Apple Time Capsule.

The first month was a nightmare of support tickets, slow speeds and technician visits. It got so bad that the case was escalated to an engineer. We never heard back from them after that and the support tickets were "no longer in their system" but by the second month, everything was fixed and consistent.

Comments:

Review by JCohen See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Good speed and reliability."
Bad "Low bandwidth cap."
Overall "Alright for the price."

I've been using Rogers High speed from the time they were still called @home and have not had many issues through the years and the issues that I have had have been corrected fast and professionally.

I am currently using the grandfathered Extreme package, 10Mbps with 95GB of bandwidth, the speed is fine but the low bandwidth cap is a killer. Using Netflix and other streaming services for TV Shows that 95GB barley lasts for the month.

I am also a gamer using both PC and xBox 360 and the speed is fine, just the P2P speed limiting causes issues with hosting games from time to time.

Overall Rogers is a good Canadian provider for speed and reliability but they could offer more bandwidth to the lower tier plans or adjust their plans costs a little bit to be more on par with some indie ISPs.

member for 4.1 years, 1857 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by KoganIZ See Profile

• Location: Thornhill,ON
Good "They connected me at the same day I contacted them"
Bad "Expensive, not reliable, low caps, cancellation policy"
Overall "I wouldn't recommend it"

·Start Communicat..
I switched to Rogers from TekSavvy (it's not a joke) 2 months ago, when TekSavvy had an outage for a couple of days and they didn't know when it's coming back, and I needed the internet back ASAP.

I had no choice, bit go to Rogers, that connected me at the same day, and the price wasn't much higher than I paid with TekSavvy. The internet was not as great as they promised. The connection dropped every evening several times for a couple of minutes. My kids complained about it all the time.

Despite that, I was happy having "reliable" Rogers internet, until I checked my usage meter. I realized that my bill will is going to be much higher than I expected it to be.

The same day I called Rogers and told them I can't afford it, and asked for a bigger cap (for reasonable money of course), and I have been offered the unlimited cap, for almost twice the money I paid...

I reminded them that I can't afford the internet as is, and I'm looking for a discount, and they had nothing better to offer me. So I told them I want to disconnect. Here came the 30-days cancellation policy. I used the internet for 3 days, and had to pay for the entire month, and of course use it risking to go over the cap and pay more (or don't use it, and loose the money). This is why I put 1 month contract into the Contract Term.

Bottom line: expansive, not reliable.

PS. Today I have got another bill - $113.00. I have been with Rogers for 32 days, and paid 65 + 113 = $178. Called them to ask why I got 2 bills in one month, the told me the $113 for overusing the cap

ROGERS - NEVER AGAIN!

updated 1 year ago

Comments:
dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15
·ITalkBB

Cable not good? Try DSL

A good idea when a isp of one kind of service doesn't work, try the other kind.

It's always about location, So a DSL connection might help over Cable, but again it really depends on location.

Within the GTA and you have a good chance, outside the GTA, not so good chance.

MichaelM

Rogers would not honor their offer for the HI-speed Internet Express

download2013-11-11 O···ould not 853,425 bytes
(2013-11-11 Offer for HI-speed Internet express Rogers would not honor - no name.)
On Nov 10, 2013 we (me and my wife) received Rogers offer for the HI-speed Internet Express service which according to Rogers includes: 3 months FREE and for $35/month thereafter, 100 GB of data a month, modem rental included no term commitment, including all monthly fees and free installation.
I call them today (Ticket #: I665256486) and I learned that this offer was not intended for me (?!), allegedly ONLY for the new and existing customers who do not have HI-speed Internet Express and that I, as the old customer with the same HI-speed Internet Express Service, received the offer by mistake (as I am responsible for my account information in their obviously dis-functional IT department).
What made me angry was the fact that this offer is almost TWICE cheaper than it is the same service I pay right now (with all discounts I have for 3 services with them is currently about $48/mth for 80GB/mth) and that Rogers obviously takes old customers for granted and treat them as stupid idiots who get punished for their (obviously) stupid loyalty and who are putting up with their lousy Internet service at times (when people come home and usage increases).
Even more surprising is because the marketing analysis is saying that it is 10 TIMES more expensive to acquire the new customer than to retain the existing ones and in that light, it is cheaper to incentivise the loyal ones at least to the level of the new ones than to lose them because they (Rogers) threat them like idiots.
As their standard cable digital package does not have any value anyway, the movie rentals are even twice more expensive than the RedBox rentals not to mention the cost of Netflix or similar service if you have the Roku box or similar device (about $100 or cheaper) and then you can watch what you want much cheaper than their cable service. Of course, they have almost monopoly on the Internet service they provide to the Canadian market and the only way how to change that fact is to organize ourselves, call our MP's and request them to eliminate obstacles for American competition to bring the quality services to our market. Any suggestions?
dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15

Re: Rogers would not honor their offer for the HI-speed Internet Express

If you paid any attention to how businesses work, it's sorta like phishing.

M_M

Re: Rogers would not honor their offer for the HI-speed Internet Express

I think, it is due to the fact that the size and consequent growth of company bureaucracy in almost all big enterprises are becoming seeds of their own demise. You can't expect common sense and business logic to prevail in such environment. They are doomed as dinosaurs were in the past, neurosignals took too long to get to their brain to react adequately to imminent danger, unless they succeed in protecting their monopolies on the market making alliances with politics and preventing a competition ...
I think we would all be better off without monopolies of Bells, Rogers, ....