Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by weedb0y See Profile

• Location: L6Y 0W3
Good "Reliable, consistent. "
Bad "Latecy is higher than Fibe FTTH in the area."
Overall "Expensive but reliable. If Bell offered higher caps on FTTH, I would switch back."

Expensive but works.

Comments:
iamkyle

join:2011-03-22
Newmarket, ON

What?

You have FTTH but choose Rogers? I'll have whatever you're smoking.
weedb0y

join:2013-04-29
L6Y 0W3

Re: What?

175GB vs. 300GB.

Review by AppleGuy See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Good price, if you can haggle or get the offer."
Bad "300GB cap...make people happy make it 500GB at least"
Overall "You gotta play ball with Rogers, you might end up with some happiness."

·WIND Mobile
Been with Rogers for years....years I tell you, after my personal hell from Bell and the ever increasing limiting my speed.
Rogers has increased my speed 10-fold. So I'm happy.
I am NOT happy with increase after increase after increase so I go to cancel.
DR;TL -- so I'll skip everything else, I managed to get $45/month 30/3 300GB internet for 8-years, no contract, modem included.

TPIA can't match. Sorry Teksavvy. I so wanted to be with you...But for now, I have to stick Rogers. $45 is a killer price for 8 years.

Comments:

Review by Treegravy See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Steady uptime for most of 10+ years"
Bad "CAPS are bad mmmkay."
Overall "Reasonable if you're not a power gamer or a downloader or Netflixer"

We're old subscribers from the Rogers@Home days when there were no such things as 'allowances'. The service has always been reasonably reliable and as such when an outage occurred it's been a surprise. That still holds true for the most part. We've never had to rely on Rogers' technical support for any clients that we needed configuring and never used the Rogers provided software from day one. I wouldn't recommend installing any of that since available third party tools are readily available that do a better job of managing your service and security than what's provided.

I took extreme issue with Rogers initially instituting allowances and downgraded our service at that time. When the fees became too high for that downgraded service we downgraded our service again. When Rogers lowered their allowances for new subscribers just as Netflix entered the Canadian market it signalled to us that it was time to consider alternatives.

Update May 2013:

We've sent our notice in and are currently awaiting activation from a competitor of Rogers' service. We undertook to change providers since Rogers doesn't care to honour a deal that we negotiated in good faith with them in order to retain our business. Specifically we were assured that the package and price we agreed to included a free modem rental for a year since we would have to move to a DOCSIS 3 device. Upon getting our first bill we noted the rental charge of seven ($7) dollars and promptly called to remind them of the bargain we'd struck. They were adamant that the modem rental wasn't included and since they wouldn't bend on that point we felt the service would have no value to us and proceeded with the cancellation process.

member for 3.3 years, 942 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

toronto7878

@bell.ca

Experiences in Rogers Services

A month ago, I moved my internet connection to Rogers and have been a disappointment ever since. Connection wasn't working because the modem Rogers tech gave me was different from their system so I was bumped to 3 different departments before someone was competent enough to change my model # to the recent one. Until now, I have been having bad internet connection in different times of the day and thinking of switching to a different provider. Stay away from Rogers Hi Speed internet. Not worth the headache and service is very bad.

Review by wwx9813 See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
Good "Great speed, reliable connection, 24/7 support"
Bad "Extremely expensive for this package"
Overall "Recommended, but be prepared to pay a premium"

We ordered the Ultimate package, which was advertised at $125/month before taxes and included 250GB/month and speeds of 150Mbps download, 10Mbps upload. We upgraded to unlimited bandwidth for an extra $10/month (unlimited costs $10/month only if you have two other Rogers services; TV and Home Phone)

On average, we receive speeds of 167Mbps download and 9.87Mbps upload. The order process was simple, we called in, signed up and booked an installation date. The earliest they could schedule a technician was four days away, which was fine. He was nice and had everything installed within 20 minutes. We were previously with TekSavvy, so the cables were ready for him.

We were given their "Advanced Wi-Fi Modem" at an additional $12/month, however, this was waived as part of our signup promotion for two years. We have it in bridge mode as we prefer our Apple Time Capsule.

The first month was a nightmare of support tickets, slow speeds and technician visits. It got so bad that the case was escalated to an engineer. We never heard back from them after that and the support tickets were "no longer in their system" but by the second month, everything was fixed and consistent.

Comments:

Review by JCohen See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Good speed and reliability."
Bad "Low bandwidth cap."
Overall "Alright for the price."

I've been using Rogers High speed from the time they were still called @home and have not had many issues through the years and the issues that I have had have been corrected fast and professionally.

I am currently using the grandfathered Extreme package, 10Mbps with 95GB of bandwidth, the speed is fine but the low bandwidth cap is a killer. Using Netflix and other streaming services for TV Shows that 95GB barley lasts for the month.

I am also a gamer using both PC and xBox 360 and the speed is fine, just the P2P speed limiting causes issues with hosting games from time to time.

Overall Rogers is a good Canadian provider for speed and reliability but they could offer more bandwidth to the lower tier plans or adjust their plans costs a little bit to be more on par with some indie ISPs.

member for 3.8 years, 1696 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by KoganIZ See Profile

• Location: Thornhill,ON
Good "They connected me at the same day I contacted them"
Bad "Expensive, not reliable, low caps, cancellation policy"
Overall "I wouldn't recommend it"

·Start Communicat..
I switched to Rogers from TekSavvy (it's not a joke) 2 months ago, when TekSavvy had an outage for a couple of days and they didn't know when it's coming back, and I needed the internet back ASAP.

I had no choice, bit go to Rogers, that connected me at the same day, and the price wasn't much higher than I paid with TekSavvy. The internet was not as great as they promised. The connection dropped every evening several times for a couple of minutes. My kids complained about it all the time.

Despite that, I was happy having "reliable" Rogers internet, until I checked my usage meter. I realized that my bill will is going to be much higher than I expected it to be.

The same day I called Rogers and told them I can't afford it, and asked for a bigger cap (for reasonable money of course), and I have been offered the unlimited cap, for almost twice the money I paid...

I reminded them that I can't afford the internet as is, and I'm looking for a discount, and they had nothing better to offer me. So I told them I want to disconnect. Here came the 30-days cancellation policy. I used the internet for 3 days, and had to pay for the entire month, and of course use it risking to go over the cap and pay more (or don't use it, and loose the money). This is why I put 1 month contract into the Contract Term.

Bottom line: expansive, not reliable.

PS. Today I have got another bill - $113.00. I have been with Rogers for 32 days, and paid 65 + 113 = $178. Called them to ask why I got 2 bills in one month, the told me the $113 for overusing the cap

ROGERS - NEVER AGAIN!

Comments:
dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON
·ITalkBB

Cable not good? Try DSL

A good idea when a isp of one kind of service doesn't work, try the other kind.

It's always about location, So a DSL connection might help over Cable, but again it really depends on location.

Within the GTA and you have a good chance, outside the GTA, not so good chance.

MichaelM

Rogers would not honor their offer for the HI-speed Internet Express

download2013-11-11 O···ould not 853,425 bytes
(2013-11-11 Offer for HI-speed Internet express Rogers would not honor - no name.)
On Nov 10, 2013 we (me and my wife) received Rogers offer for the HI-speed Internet Express service which according to Rogers includes: 3 months FREE and for $35/month thereafter, 100 GB of data a month, modem rental included no term commitment, including all monthly fees and free installation.
I call them today (Ticket #: I665256486) and I learned that this offer was not intended for me (?!), allegedly ONLY for the new and existing customers who do not have HI-speed Internet Express and that I, as the old customer with the same HI-speed Internet Express Service, received the offer by mistake (as I am responsible for my account information in their obviously dis-functional IT department).
What made me angry was the fact that this offer is almost TWICE cheaper than it is the same service I pay right now (with all discounts I have for 3 services with them is currently about $48/mth for 80GB/mth) and that Rogers obviously takes old customers for granted and treat them as stupid idiots who get punished for their (obviously) stupid loyalty and who are putting up with their lousy Internet service at times (when people come home and usage increases).
Even more surprising is because the marketing analysis is saying that it is 10 TIMES more expensive to acquire the new customer than to retain the existing ones and in that light, it is cheaper to incentivise the loyal ones at least to the level of the new ones than to lose them because they (Rogers) threat them like idiots.
As their standard cable digital package does not have any value anyway, the movie rentals are even twice more expensive than the RedBox rentals not to mention the cost of Netflix or similar service if you have the Roku box or similar device (about $100 or cheaper) and then you can watch what you want much cheaper than their cable service. Of course, they have almost monopoly on the Internet service they provide to the Canadian market and the only way how to change that fact is to organize ourselves, call our MP's and request them to eliminate obstacles for American competition to bring the quality services to our market. Any suggestions?
dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON

Re: Rogers would not honor their offer for the HI-speed Internet Express

If you paid any attention to how businesses work, it's sorta like phishing.

M_M

Re: Rogers would not honor their offer for the HI-speed Internet Express

I think, it is due to the fact that the size and consequent growth of company bureaucracy in almost all big enterprises are becoming seeds of their own demise. You can't expect common sense and business logic to prevail in such environment. They are doomed as dinosaurs were in the past, neurosignals took too long to get to their brain to react adequately to imminent danger, unless they succeed in protecting their monopolies on the market making alliances with politics and preventing a competition ...
I think we would all be better off without monopolies of Bells, Rogers, ....

Review by ground See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Canadian phone support"
Bad "Very expensive, modem fees, bandwidth caps, slow in the evening"
Overall "Rogers Hi-speed is a cancer of internet"

I go to college full-time and the difference between my school internet and my Rogers connection at home is dramatic. When I get home in the evening I feel like I traveled 30 years back in time and that my internet is 33.6k dial-up all over again. Heck, I even stay in the library late so I can use the school's fast internet to complete all of my assignments and submit them on time, can't rely on Rogers in the evening, which goes up and down as it pleases. Their DNS is a disaster, it just stops resolving hosts all of a sudden and my internet quietly dies. And also don't forget bandwidth caps, which they call "usage allowance" as if we are in a Nazi concentration camp somewhere. I'm so paranoid that I have 2 separate programs monitoring my bandwidth so that I don't go over their pathetic limit. Otherwise their warning messages will be all over my computer, they will make it my desktop wallpaper. What a joke!

Comments:

Review by nsts See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,ON
Good "Not much."
Bad "Price gouging, random inexplicable charges, terrible customer service, ignorant/untrained/outsourced staff, borderline unethical"
Overall "I'd rather be on dialup if Rogers ever becomes the 'only' choice."

·WIND Mobile
$2.00 modem rental. After 5+ years, you still pay the $2 rental.

I had both Express and Extreme internet and later downgraded to Lite, because ontop of paying nearly $60/mo, they still penalize you for GB overages. So I controlled my downloading in hopes of saving money.

Occasionally, I'd be slapped with inexplicable overages on both my mobile phone and my internet.. but generally, after I complained, I was credited. I hear the same horror stories from everyone I know that is/ever was a Rogers customer. I believe they add odd charges because the odd person won't notice. They probably make a mint off what appears to be a strange $0.40 or $1.20 charge to several thousand customers. They did the same with long distance phone calls on my mobile phone.. numbers my call log showed as never dialed/received, etc.

At the end of my 3-year contract for my mobile phone*, I asked Rogers if they could price-match Teksavvy's package, which is exactly the same as Lite but double the bandwidth and half the cost.. after putting me on hold for 15 minutes, the tech comes back with a $49/mo price... more than I was currently paying.

I also mentioned that I had a basic cable package for the last several years that I'd tried to cancel repeatedly, I was always told by everyone I dealt with, that Cable TV is required for cable internet and I could not have one without the other.... when I mentioned this to the Rogers' "retention specialist", I was then informed that I COULD have cable TV canceled while keeping the internet!!! Even so, Rogers' Lite is STILL double the cost with less bandwidth than Teksavvy for the same speed.

I immediately called Teksavvy to set up and that is where the fun begins.. for a detailed report of Rogers' hostility, view the forum topic: »[Ultra/Lite] Rogers Bullies when cancelling

To make a long story short, if you have money to burn, enjoy being treated like a bottom-feeder by staff that aren't properly trained to handle the most basic technical situations.. then by all means, go with Rogers.

Oh, and instead of Rogers changing things around and learning from their mistakes.. (Rogers' internet is reliable, for the most part. Their customer service and technical staff need a major overhaul.. addressing these two issues could go a long way with customer retention) - inexpensive solutions, really.... but instead, they unleash a crybaby ad campaign trying to tell consumers it would be "unfair" to allow Verizon to bid on wireless spectrum and come to Canada etc etc etc... AND... this: »Is Rogers Slowly Crushing Indie ISP TekSavvy Through Inaction?

Of course, Rogers denies it. After the experience I had with Rogers upon trying to switch to Teksavvy certainly makes me believe all of the troubles Teksavvy is having with Rogers is intentional.

I signed up with Teksavvy knowing full well what was going on and I expected the transition to be bumpy, but I'm willing to put up with it just to get away from dealing with Rogers directly - plus, thanks to Wind Mobile and my UNLIMITED data plan (...also HALF THE COST of Rogers' mobile, and I have loads of more features.... which I am using to post this on my PC through my Blackberry's internet) I have a backup internet source, should Rogers be up to their old tricks again.

If you're considering Rogers, do your sanity a favor and go somewhere else!! Teksavvy and Start.ca are good cable alternatives with friendlier staff and reasonable prices.

Slightly off-subject: I've met a lot of former-Rogers staff recently and I learned that support staff each have an individual budget of $300 they can use to credit customer accounts (and they get heckled by upper management when they use it), and sales staff (instore and phone) are encouraged to milk customers in exchange for commissions. None of the former Rogers staff were the least bit surprised when I detail my cancellation experience... which cues to me that this is a common practice Rogers does to discourage customers from fleeing to resellers/wholesalers like Teksavvy and Start.ca

If you're a disgruntled Rogers customers stuck in a contract, try this: »smartcanucks.ca/how-to-terminate···cts-now/ --- wish I saw this before I finished my contract.. the amount of money I could have saved myself is painful to think about.

*I had a package deal on the phone/tv/internet bundle. (Or, so one would believe!) Such a "deal" wasn't really a 'deal' at all..

Comments:

Salvador rey

The worst service ever.

I have been with Roger for the past 6 years, but stupid me to wait for so long to realize that their cable services are the worst. Now I came from work at 12:30, and I star to see my shows at that time.Now I got the new digital box nad the service is a cheat.They cut my viewing at 2
:05 Am everyday.

Review by theoddlittleduck See Profile

• Location: Stratford,ON
Good "No Actually GB limits... as of yet..."
Bad "20k/s up => was 45k/s++, from 300k/s+ to 120k/s down"
Overall "Still better then Bell, Barely"

Okay, well..

I went from a pretty good connections to something very similar to what bell Sympatico was about 6 months ago, before they capped it. I needed my upload for my webcam broadcasts overseas. Now when I netmeet my video and audio stream are beyond laggy. As well, in the past few weeks, Rogers has had periods when it has been down for longer then 12 hours at a time. It had been a great service, I think its day is over.

As well, I still dont have a mail account from them, they said i would need to call and set it up (the technician). I did. But because I have direct Visa payments I dont have the number I need to Login to it, and when I have email the support team, they were no help to me.

Comments:

Review by gotak See Profile

• Location: L6G 0C5
Good "Not as bad as their reputation would have you think"
Bad "Pricing is high unless you get a deal"
Overall "More stable than 3rd party like TekSavvy, potentially cost more and more of a hassle to maintain your deal"

·TekSavvy DSL
Historically I was a Rogers customers (8 years I think) until I moved out when I got married. I can't remember any downtime lasting longer than 1 sleep.

We went with TekSavvy at our condo and kept it when we moved into our house. And it was never the fire and forget experience that is with Rogers. We primarily went to TekSavvy to try and get a no hassle internet solution with good bandwidth caps. The only problem was there was a lot of hassle. Firstly they don't control the infrastructure so a simple thing like pushing out new firmware to the modem they can't do. And they will not support any modem they didn't sell themselves. As a result we had random 10 second disconnections. Not a huge issue but could be annoying if you are doing things like skype or facetime. And of course with the recent spades of troubles for TekSavvy they were out of service for us for 4 days while our neighbours with Rogers kept downloading and surfing. And with no good technical support and basically no answer as to what was going on. We switched.

Surprised where we that Rogers first of all offered us a no-contract plan that is cheaper than the equivalent speed and bandwidth cap plan from TekSavvy. And it was online within hours of ordering it from Rogers. It took 2 weeks for our first TekSavvy connection to go online. What's even more surprising was the Rogers people we have been dealing with have been more pleasant than the TekSavvy people.

So overall I think Rogers is actually not as bad as people think. Yeah they have some issue with their business practices that makes them seem dishonest. But that can be easily over looked after 4 days of no internet.

Update:

Rogers charged 2 installation and activation fee they said they will not charge. Now some would say this must mean bad things but actually it's another positive. The call to billing were connected right away and the refund was given without any arguments. The reps were helpful and polite while my last few calls to TekSavvy has been negative with angry sounding people on the other end. Hell has frozen I am sure...

Comments:
Ozykz

join:2013-03-30
Salford, ON

Start communications

Have you looked at start communications? They are a rogers re-seller, and they have a almost spotless track record, and have really great technical support.
gotak

join:2011-05-17
L6G 0C5

Re: Start communications

And they at this moment costs more then Rogers. But I know of them and will keep them in mind.

abitbent

join:2004-04-23
Brantford, ON

Re: Start communications

I doubt Rogers will do better or match Start without you being locked into a contract.
chall2k56

join:2007-10-03
Edmonton, AB

Rogers Disrespectable Business Practices

and that is exactly what Rogers wants you to believe, they can and should fix most of the iisp's outages within minutes, they chose to wait and drag their heels in hopes of winning back former customers like yourself
gotak

join:2011-05-17
L6G 0C5

Re: Rogers Disrespectable Business Practices

So what? They cost less and they are providing service. That's all I need to know. If TSI can't give me what I need in service, they don't deserve anything no matter what the underlying causes are.