Rogers Hi-Speed page on DSLReports

Review by herglod See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Not reliable at all!!!"
Overall "God save us from them!"

·TekSavvy Cable
I had 3 service interruption in the last 2 months and they were due to the fact the cable line was cut accidentally. It also happened before (previous years).

Normally someone could say this is the fault of the person who cut the cable(...), but the reality is the cable in my street are supposed to be properly buried underground, however Rogers do "temporary" cable repair by hanging the cables in the trees.

This situation is common for many people in my street and I don't understand after more than 2 years why Rogers hasn't repaired things properly.

All my recent service outages mentioned above are a result of improper cable repair and it is really unacceptable.

Also, the reason I also evaluated the "Pre Sales information" to "worst" is because they keep sending me junk mail in my postal mailbox with offers to subscriber to Rogers Cable TV... but I am already with Rogers Cable TV!!! Can you stop sending spam??? Don't you even know who is an existing subscriber or not? I fill my recycle bin every week of junk like that!

I am wondering why company such as Rogers are still in business today.

They are just there to have the monopole, make a lot of profit, steal money from customers and slow down the evolution of technology in general.

I had internet&TV since roughly year 1995 with different ISPs and providers, and I never had a service as unreliable as what I am getting with Rogers.

Rogers call their network a "hybrid network", I guess it mean a network with a bunch of unreliable, different and obsolete technology that are falling apart. They just refuse to admit their network is old and unreliable and on top of it they are trying to market it as a good thing. It is like saying: ”Hey! Look at our diarrhea! It is the best in the world!”

Unfortunately there are not so many choices for telecommunication provider in a given residential area, in my case it is either Rogers or Bell and both sucks.

Comments:

AppleGuy
join:2013-09-08
Canada

Mailing

Rogers can be hit and miss for sure. But I do agree with there 2 times a week mailing of junk mail asking you to buy a new cellphone, sign up for security, etc....
observer99

join:2014-07-07
Toronto, ON

rogers

This company has zero regard for their customers. I got cable internet via another provider but Rogers is the carrier. I recently disconnected my rogers TV. Instead of just disconnecting my TV only, they disconnected the entire Cable, so now I have no internet. They did this despite the fact that I specified when I called them to disconnect the TV only, not to do anything with the internet. Rogers should be broken up into carrier, and provider companies.

Review by nekkidtruth See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Fast, Reliable and Decent Customer Service"
Bad "Pricing"
Overall "Rogers has the speed and the reliability, prices are too high."

·WIND Mobile
Update 05/26/14: I'm still with Rogers. They have once again revamped their tiers and in my case, my bill dropped about $5/month for more speed. I do pay an abnormally high amount for my connection which is unlimited. I'm still interested in the TPIA's and will definitely move over once I see a dramatic drop in complaints over the change over (ie. Botched installs, days without a connection, congestion etc).

Update 01/22/12: Recently moved and took Rogers with me. I debated using this opportunity to switch to TekSavvy, but after a bit of research I decided to stick with Rogers. I don't enjoy paying the monthly fee that I do, but I haven't had connectivity issues with Rogers in years. My speeds have been totally consistent and I've had 0 down time in over a year. Maybe I'll call in and see if they'll lower my monthly rate for a while.

I am however also not a fan of the caps. There's no reason for them to exist. The monthly pricing and the traffic-shaping/caps are really the two things that bug the most. If Rogers can bring those 2 things to a level that's reasonable, they probably wouldn't have so many disgruntled customers.

Update 04/08/11: It's been a while since I updated my review. Services are basically the same. My connection is rock solid and reliable. Unfortunately, Rogers still shapes traffic and still has low caps although they are currently raising them slightly.

Overall, it's not worth the money. It's been proven there is no congestion issue, so the caps and traffic shaping does nothing but hinder services for no reason.

I've been thinking of possibly going to TekSavvy....We'll see what happens.

Update 11/08/07: There are rumors the caps are going to be lowered. This is unacceptable. The caps are already unreasonable. I suspect they'll lose a lot of customers should this actually be the case. I'm getting fantastic speeds, but I do not appreciate being capped, regardless of whether I reach said caps or not.

I don't use torrents so the throttling doesn't effect me, but I highly disagree with throttling.

Rogers...leave our connections alone. Give us what we pay for and stop telling us what we can and can't do with the Internet connection we pay a small fortune for you to provide us.

Old Review:

I've had Rogers for approximately 7 months now. I switched over from IGS because in my area I was unable to get more than 1784/600 on DSL. I spoke numerous times with Bell as well as IGS and came to the conclusion that after waiting almost 5 years for my area to be upgraded, it just wasn't going to happen.

The installation took about an hour if that. We also had Rogers Home Phone and 2 Digital Cable boxes installed at the same time.

I currently have the Rogers High-Speed Extreme packaged which was originally 6000/800. Recently they have upgraded and my package has been bumped up to 8000/800.

My most recent speedtest shows me as getting:

7940/815 (I consistently get 7500+)

I pay $55.95/month for this service and it has been AWESOME thus far.

I realize Rogers isn't always a viable option as their services do tend to suck in a lot of areas. Thankfully, my area no longer sucks.

Thank you Rogers. After years of paying $54/month for sub-par DSL services, it's nice to finally get my moneys worth.

member for 12.5 years, 3241 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by koreyb See Profile

• Location: East York,ON
Good "Reliable, full service supplier... Reasonable deal (that I was able to get), FREE MOVE OF SERVICE"
Bad "Normal prices are awful, LARGE faceless company"
Overall "Nice when you get a win back deal, normal prices are not worth it."

·VMedia
After many years, of being with TPIA Cable providers and Wholesale DSL providers, and many win back offers by Rogers before, ROGERS finally came out with a great WIN BACK offer, I just couldn't refuse, especially with an upcoming move.

3 months for free, $45 + tax after, 35x3 mb service, free install, free modem rental, no contract.

The service was exactly the same really as I had in the past from TPIA providers, accept it is clear Rogers treats their own customers with higher priority, offers speedboost, and overall seems to put more effort to providing the service.

I recently moved, and free moving really was a nice touch.

Sadly, with the move, we ended up taking a place, where OTA TV isn't fully available, and are in need for a TV service.

I got a great offer from another company for TV and internet, which Rogers couldn't match (not even close), so after the ridiculous 30 day cancellation period, I will be leaving again..

If you can get a great deal, and only want Internet, I would recommend them, as speeds where consistently fast and service as actually good. Less headaches with the games played by Rogers against TPIA customers. It just works. If you need TV with your internet, shop around....

member for 9.9 years, 1913 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

nekkidtruth
YISMM
join:2002-05-20
London, ON

Curious...

You don't make note of your cap. This is an important piece of the price puzzle.
Weeeeeee
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON

The Cap

The deal I got had 300 gigs a month...
delius

join:2006-07-30
Dorchester, ON

Re: The Cap

Have same internet plan. Fyi who did u choose for tv. No ota here couple of. Stations only

Review by Triple Helix See Profile

• Location: Oshawa,ON
Good "Great Speed and Sevice on the New Hybrid Fibre Optic 150/15 Plan"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Very, Very Good"
(ratings well above consensus)

I'm very happy with there service for the last 15 years and would not go back to Bell!

Thanks Rogers

I have been on the new Hybrid Fibre Optic 150MB down and 15MB up and getting speeds almost 160 to 170MB down with the new Hitron CG3N Modem - Router via Wireless 5G no connection problems and great wireless N distance and of course speed!

Triple Helix

member for 7.4 years, 2008 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MJB

join:2012-01-29

Rogers sucks

ROGERS SUCKS SINCE IT'S EXPENSIVE... THROTTLING.... UBB ( 100 dollars more) for extra usage

better to go to teksavvy or start communications
Expand your moderator at work

Rogers Sux

@teksavvy.com

Worst company ever! Save your money!

Rogers will sell you services at higher prices than their competitors and then throttle your speeds based on usage. Giving priority to their own network traffic by slowing down traffic to sites like Netflix. Not only that, if they detect outbound traffic from your modem, they'll throttle your speed and your latency will go up to 500 ms. What a pitiful company that can only survive by screwing their customers and lobbying the CRTC to make decisions that favour corporations.
dan mackay

join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON

modem routers suck

enjoy your shitty modem/router combo and overages

Triple Helix
Troll Hunter
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON

Re: modem routers suck

My SMC Gateway has been working flawlessly sorry but I can't agree with you.

TH

Pabist

@rogers.com

Rogers Express

I have Rogers Express unlimited i believe it is only 25/2 mbps but download speed is usually higher around 32mbps, except when traffic is high then it is dropping below 20 unusually around 17. However speed is good enough for me to download torrent at around 3mbps (i never experienced any speed throttling with rogers, my download is usually sick fast i can download 4GB in 9 min.) my kids watch episode on YT and i can speak on my teksavvy voip phone without static noise. I chat recently with tech support first time in 8 yrs. tech was here next day after winter he replaced a connector in outside distribution box. Once a year i call loyalty dept. and negotiate a price unlimited for $77.48 modem and taxes included. Before taxes it is about 67 bucks. I am planing to callback and try to switch again to newer unlimited hybrid 30/5 without price hike i am not locked with any contract and can cancel at anytime. I don't know why someone would need 125mbps line for $125, is it possible to utilize that much bandwidth in average home? I know Canadian internet and wireless services are priced as one of the highest in developed world and we need more player in the market but for now my suggestion is try not to keep all services with one company because if you do then i think it would be difficult to negotiate price once you are locked in with 2 yr plans on 2-3 phones and cable + internet they know it would be hard to leave them, especially with wireless and most they give you if you ask would be 5 bucks off. I am in Mississauga so i can get teksavvy or start.ca or bell but for now I will stay with rogers with discounts and free modem unlimited price is somewhat compatible and support is better in case there is an issue.

P.

Review by DJtml See Profile

• Location: Guelph,ON
Good "Reliable, quality customer service in the beggining"
Bad "Horrendous CS, black channels constantly until 30 min reboot"
Overall "CRTCs fault for allowing BIG 3"

Been with rogers since 2006 for multiple services on and off. Over the years the customer service and technical support has deteriorated severely. It took me over an hour just to get my cancellation order put threw. 3 days later i decided to use my rewards points before my services ended, but was unable to redeem. So i decided to call and find out why, well, while the first rep couldnt do anything about it, I asked for a manager. I was put on hold for about 30 mins before one came. During that time they removed my access to the rogers.com account and rewards account then proceeded to tell me they couldn't do anything about it, yet my services still was paid for 30 more days. Its obvious during my wait they deactivated my access to resolve the issue and act like they don't know what happened. Its shady tactics like this that make the BIG 3 the worst company's out there. and as i type this my cable TV is stuttering like crazy, even tho it never used to until i called to cancel.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Comments:
sauga_1

join:2014-02-05
Mississauga, ON

I had the same issue

I had to face the same issue when i cancelled my internet service. i have all kind of internet issue started right after the day i cancelled the internet. stay away from this red R company.

Review by dmacgee See Profile

• Location: London,ON

Good product little downtime. Data limit could be higher as more and more streaming is available.

Comments:

Review by hurleyp See Profile

• Location: Ottawa, ON
Good "Reliability"
Bad "None I can think of"
Overall "It just works!"

High speed options in my area are either Bell DSL or Rogers Cable. (Wireless is an option, I suppose, but I'm not interested at this time.) In reality, Bell DSL is not very fast because of distance limitations, so Rogers is the best option. I can say that the service is solid and reliable. I would estimate that the service is down for no more than for a total of one hour per year. I don't make use of the Rogers-specific Internet features so I can't comment on them. I use the Hitron CGN2-ROG cable modem in bridge mode connected to a Netgear WNDR3700.

member for 14.5 years, 5077 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by weedb0y See Profile

• Location: L6Y 0W3
Good "Reliable, consistent. "
Bad "Latecy is higher than Fibe FTTH in the area."
Overall "Expensive but reliable. If Bell offered higher caps on FTTH, I would switch back."

Expensive but works.

Comments:
iamkyle

join:2011-03-22
Newmarket, ON

What?

You have FTTH but choose Rogers? I'll have whatever you're smoking.
weedb0y

join:2013-04-29
L6Y 0W3

Re: What?

175GB vs. 300GB.

Review by AppleGuy See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Good price, if you can haggle or get the offer."
Bad "300GB cap...make people happy make it 500GB at least"
Overall "You gotta play ball with Rogers, you might end up with some happiness."

·WIND Mobile
Been with Rogers for years....years I tell you, after my personal hell from Bell and the ever increasing limiting my speed.
Rogers has increased my speed 10-fold. So I'm happy.
I am NOT happy with increase after increase after increase so I go to cancel.
DR;TL -- so I'll skip everything else, I managed to get $45/month 30/3 300GB internet for 8-years, no contract, modem included.

TPIA can't match. Sorry Teksavvy. I so wanted to be with you...But for now, I have to stick Rogers. $45 is a killer price for 8 years.

Comments:

Review by Treegravy See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Steady uptime for most of 10+ years"
Bad "CAPS are bad mmmkay."
Overall "Reasonable if you're not a power gamer or a downloader or Netflixer"

We're old subscribers from the Rogers@Home days when there were no such things as 'allowances'. The service has always been reasonably reliable and as such when an outage occurred it's been a surprise. That still holds true for the most part. We've never had to rely on Rogers' technical support for any clients that we needed configuring and never used the Rogers provided software from day one. I wouldn't recommend installing any of that since available third party tools are readily available that do a better job of managing your service and security than what's provided.

I took extreme issue with Rogers initially instituting allowances and downgraded our service at that time. When the fees became too high for that downgraded service we downgraded our service again. When Rogers lowered their allowances for new subscribers just as Netflix entered the Canadian market it signalled to us that it was time to consider alternatives.

Update May 2013:

We've sent our notice in and are currently awaiting activation from a competitor of Rogers' service. We undertook to change providers since Rogers doesn't care to honour a deal that we negotiated in good faith with them in order to retain our business. Specifically we were assured that the package and price we agreed to included a free modem rental for a year since we would have to move to a DOCSIS 3 device. Upon getting our first bill we noted the rental charge of seven ($7) dollars and promptly called to remind them of the bargain we'd struck. They were adamant that the modem rental wasn't included and since they wouldn't bend on that point we felt the service would have no value to us and proceeded with the cancellation process.

Comments:

toronto7878

@bell.ca

Experiences in Rogers Services

A month ago, I moved my internet connection to Rogers and have been a disappointment ever since. Connection wasn't working because the modem Rogers tech gave me was different from their system so I was bumped to 3 different departments before someone was competent enough to change my model # to the recent one. Until now, I have been having bad internet connection in different times of the day and thinking of switching to a different provider. Stay away from Rogers Hi Speed internet. Not worth the headache and service is very bad.